A bright-red Virginia with a good amount of Cyprian Latakia blended with a mixture of Turkish, fire cured Virginia and Perique. Good later in the day and evening smoke.

BrandThe Smoker
Blended ByMel Feldman
Manufactured ByHearth and Home
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

Based on about a 1 oz sample from an internet friend (thanks, friend!). This is a coarse ribbon cut of basic brown color that came just a bit more moist than I prefer. But I soon discovered that the feel was deceiving because it was best at bag strength. The aroma was of latakia first and supporting tobaccos.

Nice strength with this one and in some bowls I actually tasted burley. There was a nuttiness that I don't associate with the tobaccos in this blend, and it was quite enticing. But in other bowls it didn't show. Obviously, that was an impression that doesn't hold with the facts, as this contains no burley. But I enjoyed the flavor burst of latakia with Virginia riding shotgun. I didn't taste a lot of perique but it was there. Provided a peppery and slightly briny finish. English blends without a huge amount of Turkish aren't usually my thing but there are exceptions, and this is one. I probably would not have purchased this, so I'm pleased to have had the opportunity to try it... I may just buy more! This should be sampled by any English fan, as it has it's own verve to it that makes it somewhat unique.

The Virginias are grassy sweet. The Cyprian latakia is smokey sweet and lightly woody, while the Oriental/Turkish is woody and smokey. The perique is more pepper than plum, and though it's a minor component, you'll consistently notice it. The latakia is perhaps the star flavor, but it never drowns out the other tobaccos. Burns well, cool and leaves no dottle. It's a typical English and though it's enjoyable enough, it does nothing to distinguish itself from other mixtures in this genre. I've tasted similar blends several times from several blenders, and while I don't mind smoking it, I wouldn't be thinking about it when I'm picking an English to smoke.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have always appreciated the strength (backbone) of Mel Feldman's blends and while Easy Chair sounds laid back enough, it is actually another fairly stout Smoker blend.

One of the previous reviewers indicated his tongue failed to find any Perique. Perhaps Mel forgot to slip some into a batch or two, but it sure found its way into my tin. Traditional English with some power and a little pepper from the Perique pretty much sums up Easy Chair.

My tin was about five years old and I am not sure whether this blend is even produced by Mr. Feldman anymore due to the Cyprian Latakia shortage.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My favorite amongst The Smoker blends I tried in my sampler. A very good latakia blend that has a complex flavor, not overwelmed by the latakia. The flavor starts out more smoothly than many latakia blends and builds nicely to the bottom. Several of The Smoker blends I tried had that aromatic sweetness like Frogmorton, but that is missing here, just a straight English mixture.

This one will not be a regular for me, but I will keep some around for a change of pace.

calabashsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calabashsmoke (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a medium to full strength English blend. The description of the blend includes Virginia, Turkish, Latakia and Perique. If there is Perique present I failed to detect it so please do not be put off by this description if you dislike Perique. My overall impression is that the Virginia, Latakia and Turkish produce a very smooth, sweet smoke that burns fairly consistent to the bottom of the bowl. The mixture picked up in strength slightly towards the end however this was not enough to make the tobacco bite. A well balanced English blend that won't send you reeling from an overdose of Latakia.