Pure roasted Burley.

3.4
Mochzky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mochzky (6)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Right after I opened the tin, the first two or three bowls seemed to me flat and boring, nothing but bland white smokes. So, I put it away, thinking this gonna be a last resort when I am out of all the tobaccos in my house. I am not a Burley lover but I think I know a good Burley smells like raisin. Definitely, the toasted Burley cigarette leaves smell like Darjeeling tea, e.g., navy cut Lucky Strike or some South African cigarettes.

Before Singleton became a fossil, I had the opportunity to smoke it when I did not find any other suitable size of the tin to my pocket than the flat slim Singleton tin and went out to smoke. On a windy day, while walking, it burns perfectly stable. I seemed to understand why the sailors of old days loved Burley flakes. Out in the sea, it must have retained its coolness and stability of the smoke on the deck.

After several weeks of neglect, perhaps oxidation played a role in making Singleton sweet raisin. It gives off cool white smokes. I found out the treasure in the mound of the miscellaneous Danish tobacco brands. Rather than on a whim, I picked up this one by the name Singleton, a hero seaman who tightly clutches the steering wheel to get the ship into the port in a cursed weather when all the other crew are in panic, intimidated, and some praying . Like the reticent single-minded Singleton in J. Conrad's fiction, this Singleton gives me an honest, straightforward Burley pleasure.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another souvenir from my holiday in Denmark, this blend may be the one I will be returning for. Or mail-order, for that matter.

Burley flakes, for me, have a formidable opponent I compare against: Solani's Aged Burley Flake. To cut a long story short, Singleton stacks up quite well in this comparison. The name on the tin is, of course, a bit provocative for me, as The Singleton is one of my favourite Highland whiskies...

But on with the review. Opening the tin, I at first thought they had mixed up the contents. Seeing as there actually was tobacco in there, I thought to myself, "OK, that's a new one... I'm going to smoke a slice of chocolate..."

For some reason, fold-and-twist does not work for me with this blend; I need to rub out or I will end up with half a bowlful of dottle. So I rub out. That way, lighting is normal, and the smoke starts out sweeeeeet, with notes of cocoa and chocolate; the former is, I guess, just the Burley magic happening, the chocolate is a sauce. But a good one.

Accordingly, the room note is a bit sweeter than a plain Burley, but still airy-dry. The taste remains basically the same throughout, very enjoyable when I'm in a Burley mood. Somewhat ironically, The Singleton is not exactly the best tipple to have alongside Singleton; it seems to work better with a glass of a good Port.

Puf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puf (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Lovely uncomplicated blend, packs & lights easily. Easily smoked right down to the bottom of the bowl without harshness or excessive moisture. The aroma is soft, nutty with a caramel quality to it, but perhaps a bit one - dimensional. I only have one major quarrel with this blend: the room note is heavy and cigar - like to an extend that I have taken this tobacco out of my daily rotation. But from a smoking perspective I givr it thumbs up :-)

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

once again i venture into the realm of burleys, after a hiatus of almost 20 years. first, i tried edgeworth sliced and found it rather flat - and almost gave up. but then i spotted this one at my local tobacconist, and said to myself "why not?".

i'm so glad i did. this is the kind of burley i seem to remember from my youth, slightly sweetened, nutty, soothing: comfort smoke! nothing exciting about it, but very good quality. burns slow and dry, lots of smoke. i think that burley tobaccos are still one of the things the danish manufacturers really know how to do.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

February 2006. Let the portion you require to fill your pipe,air for five to ten minate's Fill your pipe and light it after doing that only a few tamp's will be required to enjoy a smooth delicious flavour to the bottom of the bowl.It's that simple!

In it's class,Highly Recommended.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

As one of the only Danish people on this wonderful site, I am very pleased to see that it, afterall, is possible to get hold of these blends from Orlik Tobacco Company.

I put allmost all the blends up online, and it nearly took a year before anyone reviewed some of them. They must be hard to locate

I agree with Eulenburg. Even though this is a drugstore blend, this lovely burley tastes like quality leaf. It is very gentle on the palate and it carries alot of nicotine with it. I am usually not very fond of pure burley blends, but this one has a certain sweetness and caramel-like flavor which i care for much.

It has a nice burn, packs easy and the smoke is very cool. If you love burley blends i think this one may surprise you.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

Burley lovers owe it to themselves to investigate this buttery, top-quality, lightly stoved beauty.