A traditional full Balkan mixture, rich with substantial amounts of Latakia, Turkish, Macendonian and other Balkan tobaccos. The 1848 formula is often imitated, never equalled.

BrandWessex
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Oriental/Turkish, Latakia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
2.3

I had the same problem the previous reviewers had in that I expected more from this blend than I got, especially considering the price. It's light on the Orientals and Turkish, and the latakia is not as smoky as I find in other Balkans. I certainly don't mind a lighter mixture, but there's no real flair to the taste. I found it good enough to smoke, but considering the variance of components and price, it left me thinking that I can get the same thing or better at a cheaper price from any number of companies. It probably deserves a two and half star rating, but three would really be stretching it, so I rate it as a two star blend.

Wessex usually provides me with flavorful offerings. Balkan Supreme just did not live up to my normal Wessex expectations. My palate didn't capture any true "Balkan" style flavor at all and the strength of the blend was not out of the ordinary considering the components of Latakia and Oriental that are not full of strength anyway.

Considerable drying time is necessary before stuffing the leaf into your pipe. My tin arrived very moist (sopping wet, actually).

The Latakia is in the background, and it was certainly flavorful enough, but the Oriental and Turkish leaf appeared to me to be of less than premium stock.

calboy8686 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calboy8686 (11)

For the Latakia lover in you. I was very unimpressed with the first bowl, and almost was ready to pawn it off on someone then decided to try it again on a different day. The second bowl was defiantly MUCH better. When I first opened the tin it didn't have the best aroma in the world and was VERY wet. The aroma of the tobacco itself is fairly pungent, but once you get it lit and start smoking it develops. You can defiantly taste the Latakia and oriental, not really too sure where the Virginia or turkish went. But if you like the taste of Latakia this the blend for you.

Another Kohlhase & Kopp blend, not very good but nothing to throw away. In this particular case you have a nice oriental content supporting the taste. As expected there's no building up throughout the bowl in the flavour department, quite the opposite: from half bowl down the taste mingles in something messy and indistinguishable. You can find much better blends but at least it's worth its price.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

Wessex' Brigade Balkan Supreme is an adequate balkan, leaning a little more towards orientals than to latakia. It is a medium ribbon cut that is quite smokeable right as it comes. The tobacco maintains the same flavor all the way down the bowl. The blend does not exhibit much depth of flavor and is fairly monochromatic. I found this to be a little harsh on my throat, but that is not uncommon for me.

One problem with this blend is that it only comes in a 100g size and is a little pricey at $17, so it could be an expensive trial. While I will probably set some of this aside to try again later, I think my pipe club will get the rest of this.

the_IRF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_IRF (3)

Yes, i seem to agree with the general thrust of the reviews here. The aroma out of the pouch is GREAT, but the smoke is quite a bit less that one would have expected or i had hoped for. However, i found it grew on me, and i wound up liking it better than i would have guessed at first blush. How did it wind up with more flavor than in the beginning? I don't know...

I got a very attractive deal from Pipes and Cigars on pound of this. Because it was nicely dry it looked like a pound and a half in the bag when it arrived. It was very smokable, however. None-the-less i think i do like it.

BRIER pipes: Probably Best Choice - supports a broader (maybe "smother" taste, it seems

CORN COB pipes (my favorite choice of pipe): A bit sharp or tinny, showing the thinness of or shallowness of flavors

MEERSCHAUM pipes (i have a ton of them/ big, small/ expensive and not): Stronger Flavor, again a bit spiky, to begin with, like the Corn Cob smokes, as would be expected by the amplification that the Corn Plant does with tobacco and as does Meerschaum, too. In the end this is where i found i liked this tobacco.

At first blush, did it match up for me to:

Ashton's- "Artisan's Blend; or

Lane Ltd.'s- Crown Achievement; or

Cornell & Diehl's- Pirate Kake; or

Drew Estate's- Meat Pie; or

my standard favorite, McClelland's- Frog Morton Across the Pond?

Did i like it in the end, yes. How does That happen?

Then, too, i may be a bit odd in that i smoke Iwan Ries & Co. IRC Kings Oriental because it has a clove topping that seems to help puting more punch into it.

Most everything is a bit on the lightweight side for for me, even when moistened a bit... or a lot.

If anyone here knows of something with a big Latakia Hammer, i am all for finding it... so please mention names i may not yet know.

End Note: I am not unhappy at all with this tobacco. The More I Smoke It the more it seems to be wanting to be my friend. Tobacco can do that for me if it wants to... but then again, you already know i am a bit of an odd duck with a soul of a poet and heart and temperament of a linebacker, right?... ROTFL

Pipe Used: Brier, Corn Cob, Meerschaum.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the dealer

Similar Blends: Sort of in the same "English" category as:, Ashton's- "Artisan's Blend; or , Lane Ltd.'s- Crown Achievement; or , Cornell & Diehl's- Pirate Kake; or , Drew Estate's- Meat Pie for me?.