A traditional full Balkan mixture, rich with substantial amounts of Latakia, Turkish, Macendonian and other Balkan tobaccos. The 1848 formula is often imitated, never equalled.

BrandWessex
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Oriental/Turkish, Latakia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.2

I had the same problem the previous reviewers had in that I expected more from this blend than I got, especially considering the price. It's light on the Orientals and Turkish, and the latakia is not as smoky as I find in other Balkans. I certainly don't mind a lighter mixture, but there's no real flair to the taste. I found it good enough to smoke, but considering the variance of components and price, it left me thinking that I can get the same thing or better at a cheaper price from any number of companies. It probably deserves a two and half star rating, but three would really be stretching it, so I rate it as a two star blend.

Wessex usually provides me with flavorful offerings. Balkan Supreme just did not live up to my normal Wessex expectations. My palate didn't capture any true "Balkan" style flavor at all and the strength of the blend was not out of the ordinary considering the components of Latakia and Oriental that are not full of strength anyway.

Considerable drying time is necessary before stuffing the leaf into your pipe. My tin arrived very moist (sopping wet, actually).

The Latakia is in the background, and it was certainly flavorful enough, but the Oriental and Turkish leaf appeared to me to be of less than premium stock.

calboy8686 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calboy8686 (11)

For the Latakia lover in you. I was very unimpressed with the first bowl, and almost was ready to pawn it off on someone then decided to try it again on a different day. The second bowl was defiantly MUCH better. When I first opened the tin it didn't have the best aroma in the world and was VERY wet. The aroma of the tobacco itself is fairly pungent, but once you get it lit and start smoking it develops. You can defiantly taste the Latakia and oriental, not really too sure where the Virginia or turkish went. But if you like the taste of Latakia this the blend for you.

Another Kohlhase & Kopp blend, not very good but nothing to throw away. In this particular case you have a nice oriental content supporting the taste. As expected there's no building up throughout the bowl in the flavour department, quite the opposite: from half bowl down the taste mingles in something messy and indistinguishable. You can find much better blends but at least it's worth its price.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

Wessex' Brigade Balkan Supreme is an adequate balkan, leaning a little more towards orientals than to latakia. It is a medium ribbon cut that is quite smokeable right as it comes. The tobacco maintains the same flavor all the way down the bowl. The blend does not exhibit much depth of flavor and is fairly monochromatic. I found this to be a little harsh on my throat, but that is not uncommon for me.

One problem with this blend is that it only comes in a 100g size and is a little pricey at $17, so it could be an expensive trial. While I will probably set some of this aside to try again later, I think my pipe club will get the rest of this.