A subtle, delicate, mellow tobacco. A composition of jet Black Cavendish, bright and dark Virginias and fragrant Burley. An extremely pleasant note of Hickory nut, vanilla and a touch of cinnamon is added.

BrandPeterson

2.7
Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

If I could only smoke 1 Peterson aromatic for the rest of my life it would be this one. There is enough nicotine here, and it's not sickly sweet like some of the other petersons (not that there's anything wrong with that). The taste is a bit more subtle that their other aros, but it's done well. I like this in the morning with coffee, the slight honey taste is delicious, and I sorta get the cinnamon. It would make a great Xmas day smoke and keep the non smokers happy to have you nearby.

This concludes my test of all Peterson aros (except special editions) and Gold blend is the only one I will be buying from now on. The others are all very nice, but this one turns the intensity of the casing down a notch and it is sweet but subtle. 10 out of 10 on the aromatic scale.

Gold Blend . As usual with Peterson its a lovely smoke . The unlit mix has a pleasing appearance , being a mix of light brown to black in colour and it varies in the sizes of the pieces . Considering this has added flavours to it , the mix only really gives off an aroma of the Tobaccos with a slight sweet touch and none of the falseness associated with aromatics , which is refreshing ! It is of a brilliant moistness to ignite it with ease and once lit its magic is allowed to shine ! The flavour is my kind of Aromatic , as it is not like a spray in the face from my Wife's perfume bottle nor is it unnoticeable , it is a nice and gentle flavour . The added aromatics are all nicely balanced with each other and create a wonderful flavour , which is a little like a slight taste of Nutty Ice cream but even though the aromatics are there you can still identify the different Tobaccos in it , a nice standard Virginia hay note with a sumptuous sweet Cavendish touch . Nicotine level is good and if chosen to inhale it is very easy to do so . The room note is pleasant as well , being not too heavy or light and does not offend non-smokers in the room ! Would also make a great entry into aromatics as it is not too much or too little in the additives . Very enjoyable and highly recommended !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

Tin aroma: mango, cream, cinnamon and honey. On the tongue: Virginia with nutmeg and just a hint of the aforementioned tin aromas. Mild in taste but a pleasant tang adds to 'mouth feel'. No tongue bite. Room note: warm, slightly sweet with a touch of mango. Golden, yes. Loud, no. A very subtle aromatic. Try at least once, when in the mood.

Barkar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barkar (3)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I should mention right away that I normally smoke aromatics and I like them "usually". Well this my first Peterson tobacco and if the rest of them are this good I will be really impressed. Gold blend is a mild, smooth smoke with just enough flavouring to let you know its an aromatic. The room note smells nice to me but its not as sweet smelling as most others so non smokers may or may not like it. I can taste a hint of nutty and a little vanilla but its not over powering at all. In short I think this is a terrific blend, its burns clean, stays lit, smokes smooth and smells good too. Highly recommend this to anyone including new pipe smokers.

pjxii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pjxii (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my go to blend. It has a nice nutty flavor through most of the bowl, but it does need to be taken slowly as it will bite. Not my ex-wife's favorite to be around regarding room note (she preferred Peterson's Sunset Breeze in this regard). I prefer mild aromatics which usually means nice pleasant tins and boring bowls but GB actually gives me something to enjoy. There's more here than just the flavoring, though, as the tobacco is just a little more robust than any other Peterson blend which I've tried.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Not bad! It's an aromatic, but it doesn't weigh as heavy as other aro's from the House of Peterson. When I was 10 years old, I found Grandpa's old pipe in a drawer. It smelled exactly like this blend: a bit like honey, cookies, cinammon, sweet overall without tasting cheap. Smoke it slowly, it's worth it. 3.5 of 5

BobB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobB (19)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Probably a very good everyday smoke. I've gotten more compliments over the aroma than anything else I've lit up.

After almost two tins I've given up trying to pick out the flavors.

It's damp,dry it. Burns warmer than most of my choices and has bit me more than I like to admit. Seems to lose the sweet flavor twards the end of the bowl

I didn't lose interest in the smoke, I just have aro's I enjoy more.

It continues...

Kyohan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyohan (8)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I received a tin of this with the purchase of a new Peterson pipe and, not being an aromatic smoker, I just let it sit on the shelf for several months before giving it a try. That was a mistake. My experience with aromatics in the past had been limited to the drug store stuff that I guy who worked for me smoked (and that pretty much turned me off to all aromatics). So, after looking at this tin for a few months I decided to give it a try.

The tin aroma is sweet and fruity, but it still tastes like tobacco to me, which is a big plus. I don't know if I would buy this, but this tin has been enjoyable and I'm glad I tried it.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

BTGreenwald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BTGreenwald (6)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm new to the general goodness of "the pipe tobaccy experience". Peterson's "Gold Blend" has been such a welcomed introduction. I've been a literary fellow for a good long while and wow what a pairing these two... Reading while contemplating the nuances of a good smoke. Peterson does a Phenomenal job with this one. I say that as a novice cause I LOVE IT. No tongue bite... pleasant notes of cinnamon and vanilla. My personal and completely subjective rating is 4 stars. I give it three because I am hopeful that I am going to be enjoying some superior variety in the future. What to enjoy next!? I think I may try MM 965 very soon.

Cheers!

Breizh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Breizh (7)

This Peterson Gold blend aromatic, like most of the aromatics I've enjoyed in the past, smells delicious but unfortunately does deliver in the taste department when smoked. I find it to be a little thin for want of a better word, and as with some of the other Peterson aromatics has to be smoked slowly to ensure that your not bitten back. I guess I suffered the tongue bite due to wanting to get the full taste like the scent and rushed it at first!

Needs to be dried or aired a little before smoking as its very moist when new. The room note is pleasant but heavy.

Please I've tried it,and I have left it year before smoking again before this review, but won't be buying another tin.

I guess these type of aromatics don't suit me, but still a quality tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney 338

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin & 1 year later.

Purchased From: James Fox Dublin.

Similar Blends: Peterson Luxury Blend..

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (132)

This is another stop on my Peterson parade of tobaccos. Like a lot of the aromatics in Peterson's repertoire, it really does nothing to hit me in the right spot. Maybe its because I have found other blends that seem to me to be far superior to these here. I find nothing really wrong with this blend, just that it does nothing for me, as I say. YMMv, of course. I will recommend that you give it a try, it may be just what you are looking for. Smoke away, lads and lasses.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Well, this one is for relaxing time, slowly puff... It will never give you, or others, the feeling of cheap (and is not btw) but somehow it miss something that you feel as important...but...whatever, is good.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

My only aromatic experiences previous to trying GB had consisted of OTC and cheap no name cavendish blends with sickly chemical taste. Moving on to english blends and American English blends I thought I was becoming one of those can't stand aromatic type of smokers, but this blend changed it for me.

I tried it based on my enjoyment of University and Irish Flake. I figured if the base tobaccos were good, I may like an aromatic. Indeed this seemed to be the case.

I enjoyed this as there was none of that chemical taste I so despise. It is sweet, but not so much that I can't taste the tobacco. I think I still prefer my aros a little less sweet, but I do recommend this blend. As I have since had some other aros I enjoy more, I can't really give it a four star rating.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)

Not the only purchase i have ever made of this aromatic. This was one of my first explorations into "other tobacco's" beyond the typical UK OTC blends. Initially purchased the range of Peterson tobacco's because i noticed them on the brochure that came with my first "Peterson rustic 303 bent apple" with the moisture trap system.

I still have the brochure with my original penciled opinion notes. "Color evoked;defies a color"(i see my taste as a color sometimes:¬) "Mental scene:-quaint coffee shop by the window,cold outside,a winter seaside vibe."(note that when i was first smoking this you could still smoke in certain public places). "Season;spring feeling ,march time"(possibly just my imagination) "Indoor smoke." "Complimentary drink;cream tea and a scone. An aromatic that is as good as any that are good. Sociable aroma-beyond the casing is nothing complex underneath to describe really;a cake is a cake. Medium confection, room note of rich fruit cake,tastes as it smells-glace cherries-Cherry Genoa cake. Medium burner"(i hadn't tried anything cooler yet at that stage,i was an aromatic man) "Ash like little charcoals,black pellets,coarse black ash."(i found clay pies cremated my tobacco better later)

Ok;i have smoked a lot of stronger things since and i did do a recentish repurchase of some of the Peterson aromatics as well as my regulars(i like Old Dublin,Irish Oak,Irish Flake and University Flake).Ordering a few aromatics was for no real reason other than to remind myself of what they are about again.(They make good spare baccy and remind me its time to repurchase some stronger stuff when i am short,or something to let visitors have a go with).

For this review i have departed from my norm of using a clay pipe as a test standard because i have recently retired them to pursue the Briar route(i am still making my mind up if i am a Briar man)

I have purchased many samples of system pipes(Falcons,Grabow Vikings,Kaywoodie Filters and others) for my upcoming tobacco odyssey;i wanted to have the pipes that i could match their thermodynamics,cooling and drying properties to the best tobacco combination.

Speculating what an aromatic and particularly a Cavendish based blend can be capable of(although i consider peterson to be generally well behaved smokes),i chose a "Falcon International" bent,(a recent estate ebay purchase)to tame its potential worst aspects,and used a folded pipe cleaner as a makeshift filter/wick in the stem.

The tobacco in the jar(i had given it a clay pipe trial already) was dry to touch and the appearance was rough and dried petal like.I loaded the bowl lightly because i was semi re-breaking in the recently reamed Briar. The aroma was to my mind regardless of the tin description of honey/vanilla and walnuts.

Two matches and off i went:Initially i could smell the aroma but it faded to a faint tobacco smell and the taste had a cerial cornflake taste which as the bowl progressed turned ashy and bitter.Also it developed a spikey nettle like prickle of what was the first signs of nip.Not really impressed i persevered until it reached a neutral PH balance and a kind of rice paper taste(it turns out i was actually smoking the Briar wood with this hot burner^^).

Disapointed i re-reamed the scorch out and reconsidered my technique.It was because of this effect that i initially went on to clays that could take as much thermodynamic punishment as i could give with no regard. For a rematch i got a cotton bud and soaked it in Tia Maria liqueur and coated the inside of the bowl quite liberally and let it soak into the briar.Its the nature of moisture trap pipes that although they take away moisture,they can steal vital moisture from the bottom of the bowl with hot burner tobacco's that leave the Briar exposed and dry to potential scorching if you have insufficient moisture in the heel and not enough protective cake built yet.(some baccies i can get away with it)

This second attempt was much better;the bitterness and bite were gone and i got a golden nectar flavour which brought out the missing taste of the aromatic properties of the first attempt. It also puts up good cake(possibly the type of baccy and the sticky liqueur together?). The filter had also got wetter by this stage and maybe contributed to the smoothness as well.

Decided for another go and packed it harder to cool it more and for a less airy and longer smoke and was again impressed;it had the archetypal aromatic nectar factor that tasted like what it smelled and the smoke was thick white and syrupy and satisfactory for what an aromatic can deliver.It still burned hottish and i was worried about doing the bowl harm even though i was liking it.

For a third trial i decided to change pipe and us a "The Smoke","Graduate shape", a red pyrolytic graphite liner pipe from the early 70s which had a bowl liner made out of the same stuff as NASA rocket cones ,to see what the tobacco would deliver on its own with no fear of pipe burn out,and without any assistance from the Tia Maria burn inhibitor,which although the liqueur worked well, i considered its application a bit of a longwinded preparation ceremony.

And so:Packed tightly enough to prevent fast burning, the pipe performed well without protest but the smoke although it had some taste it had no syrupy thickness to its aromatic but steamy empty body.A few years ago i would of considered this a good smoke purely because it burned well for an aromatic. The nature of the non absorbent bowl liner is such that nothing is wasted and if your tobacco is the right moisture and packed right,you get a good smoke that is not too dry or too wet and no waste.Adding the liqueur to this pipe for the sake of the tobacco i feel goes against its working design principles,and it would have more moisture to shift than its venturi effect deserves to work with.(It has no moisture trap but throws the moisture upward out of the bowl after a each puff which heats the liner,and the moisture escape keeps the tobacco obove from burning too quickly)

My oppinion of the tobacco matches my prior expectations and i knew from past experience what i was going to get and how i was probably going to deal with it and i will rate it accordingly. Its a 2 star tobacco with me,its an OK Cavendish aromatic. I will probably not repurchase another because i feel there are other aromatics with more substantial tobacco bases with nicoteen factor.When its good its because i was coating the bowl with Tia Maria which doesn't come in the tin.Coating the bowl gives the taste of a heavier cased tobacco without the lighting problem of wet cased tobacco.I could for the sake of taste put up with the preparation when i consider what i do with ropes and plugs to get a good smoke just to finish the tin though.

UPDATE 20 MINUTES LATER AFTER WRITING THIS!!

Its 7:15 am and my dad has just left the house for work and i have took the liberty and lit up inside using my "The Smoke" pipe and have to take back some of my previous statements.The dry warm inside air has changed the tasting properties of this smoke completely and i can now taste it.(The cold frosty night air on the porch with the mist probably meant i was drawing moisture condensation from the outside atmosphere which was creating steam and muting the smoke factor). I now get a mild toasty breakfasty tasting tobacco akin to a honeyed toasted waffle or a pancake.Using the Tia Maria as a side drink instead of smoking it does the same wonders and comfortably creats two separate entities of the sweet toast of the pipe with a separate wet and syrupy sweet liquid to sip to taste. I still stand by my 2 stars but its a better two stars.I now know why i repurchased this one.Also i am massively impressed with my pyrolytic pipe combination for this tobacco which really works and brings out and amplifies the subtle taste.I will revisit some other aromatics with my other pyro linered pipes.

bluedog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluedog (19)

a light aromatic. smells very nice in the tin and looks good. i would recommend drying it for a few hours out of the tin to get more of the honey and cinnamon out of it which is used very sparingly. do not recognize any hickory nut. if you smoke it straight out of the tin moist, it tends to burn too hot and you get very little flavor except vanilla. this stuff tends to get gooey and wet even if you air it to bone dry. this is the type of aromatic that you don't really taste the flavor you can just smell it if you blow through your nose. i like gold blend, it will be a nice change of pace during the holiday season to have a bowl every now and then. i do wish it had a little more honey and cinnamon flavors.

Bougui77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bougui77 (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I remeber enjoying this blend maybe something like last year. I have try it tonight and the experience wasn't exactly the same. On this more recent smoke I have taste a non-well balance aroma.

I have to tell you that the tobacco wasnt so fresh so I had to humidified it a little bit before I could pack my pipe with it.

The smell of the tobacco in the can was ok, but I was sad that this taste didn't reflect in the smoke. However I still think it's a good blend when You have nothing else near You.

Erik-Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erik-Peterson (7)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This was my first tobacco. I loved it then, so decided to give it a try recently. I was quite disappointing. Needless to say, after smoking blends from C&D, Lane Limited, Peter Stockkabye, Peterson tins leave quite a bit to be desired. To weak, with far to much flavoring and casing.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (45)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I liken this blend to Peterson's De Luxe Mixture. Both blends share a combination of the vanilla and nutty flavors, but Gold Blend has cinnamon instead of honey. The cinnamon, like De Luxe's honey, was just put in to add a little something to the blend, it's not really concentrated. The main flavors were the hickory nut and vanilla. Gold Blend didn't seem as quite of a "holiday blend" to me since the hickory nut wasn't nearly as Christmasy as the walnut used in De Luxe Mixture. Overall it's a great blend. It burns well and tastes great. A good smoke any time of the year.

punkpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
punkpiper (3)

My first and favorite tobacco. Once I learnt how to smoke a pipe it struck just the right spot to convert me. And that was before it had dried. Whilst still moist it did burn a bit too hot and had cases of tongue bite and tasted only of vanilla. But then after I let it dry and age a few weeks and fixed my technique, it changed like John Lydon after he left the Sex Pistols and formed Pil. The vanilla is still there, but in the background. it now tastes of honey, cinnamon, room note of fresh buttered bread. Still burns hot, but tolerably. Suits my churchwarden pipe very well. I'm going to stop smoking it for a while now, if I can stop myself. I want to let it age, bring out some sugars more and keep it for special occasions or sleepless nights. Good for beginners like me, or experienced smokers who want something that ages well.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)

Excellent mix of Light Virginia, with Dark Burley, and a touch of even Darker Cavendish. A mild smoke with full tobacco flavor. Went through a 50g tin in no time. Definately worth keeping an extra tin around.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is not Peterson's best aromatic. Unlike their worst aromatic (Sweet Killarney), the tin description on Gold Blend is pretty accurate as to the taste of this blend. It is sweet, and as you are smoking you can detect hints of vanilla, nuts, and nutmeg. Probably the most prominent flavor is cinnamon. I smoked this mainly in my Peterson bulldog and it smoked fine; no tongue bite or excessive moisture.

But it is not worth the price of the tin. It is not an unpleasant smoke, but not a real memorable one either. All the different flavors are present, but not in a rich, satisfying way that is characteristic of the great aromatics. I like aromatics; I've been smoking them for years. But this blend doesn't deserve all that much praise.

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Peterson wins again. My search for a vanilla blend that actually tastes like vanilla, but doesn't smoke hot and wet, has come to an end. Gold blend is solid aromatic tobacco. Sweet, creamy, with lots of vanilla flavor, and other bakery flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, and a rather buttery taste to case it all. This leaf reminds me of a good croissant roll or home made cookies. The tin note is nothing like the taste, as it smells rather fruity, characteristic of the Virginia tobaccos within. The Cavendish and Burley add creaminess and an overall toasty flavor to the smoke, and the Virginia adds that mild spice and sweetness. A delightful smoke indeed. I would recommend this to beginners, as it is very mild, sweet, cool smoking, and pleasant. A seasoned aromatic smoker might find it dull and lacking, but I can see it being a staple tobacco in anyone's regimen for whenever they want a quality, mellow, smoke. I can see myself enjoying this in a park, or out on the porch watching the sunset. The nicotine in it isn't bad either, so it won't slam you with that weird buzz feeling right away. Gold Blend is a thoroughly enjoyable smoke for when you want to feel content, relaxed, and mild.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

This is ok...

Not my favourite Peterson aro. I didn't quite take to the cinnamon if I'm honest. It smokes like De Luxe Blend by the same firm, but with added cinnamon.

I like DB, as it's a nice mild aro that suits my needs when required. The quality of tobacco in both blends is very good.

I just haven't taken to Gold Blend as much as I thought I would. The cinnamon just adds heaps to the toastiness you get from most aro's as you get towards the end of the bowl..

As such it put me off a bit. Not a bad tobacco. I'll take my cinnamon in bagel, bread, cinna-bon, cookie (biscuit to us brits) and cereal format.... ..... just not in my tobacco.

But thanks for the offer anyway.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

A very light aromatic. Good clouds of smoke once started. Flavoring is more of a background than a foreground kind of thing. Smoked dry, no gurgling.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Peterson does a great job with its flavorings, and Gold Blend is no exception. There is no syrupy vanilla here: instead, you'll get an almost delicate, buttery brown-sugar- and-spice essence which is unique and interesting. This is a very mellow smoke. It burned a little hot for me, probably because I was trying to coax out a little more from it. My wife liked the room note and I would agree that it smells terrific.

Frankly, this blend is too light for me, but it earns three stars for its merits as a very fine aromatic. This would be a great beginner's smoke, or a nice change of pace if you don't mind something easygoing and subtle. It is clearly a significant upgrade from the drugtore brands. Given a choice, I would pick Davidoff Red Mixture in this category, but I am sure that this Peterson blend will win over many followers.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (83)

This is the blend that got me into pipe smoking and as a sentimental favorite I'm giving it four (4) tasty stars.

I decided to try pipe smoking after ten years of enjoying premium cigars and started out with a Peterson pipe and a tin of Gold Blend. That was in December of 2008. I resolved not to write a review of Gold Blend until I was more experienced. So here I am a year later, somewhat more experienced, smoking a new tin of GB after trying aromatics, vapers and English/Oriental blends. The engliish/orientals are my favorite.

Gold blend is a classic quality aromatic that manages to be sweet and mellow without being heavy on the vanilla. The smell in the tin is delicious. The smoke taste is more complex than standard vanilla aros. Cavendish on the bottom. The room note is very nice. Both the room note and taste are sweet without being perfumy.

This is a nice mellow aromatic for when you want a sweet smoke and you want something different than staright vanillas. Personally, I like strong English blends in the morning and a nice aro every now and then in the evening.

Smoke on Brothers of the Pipe!

Hozer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hozer (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Being a fan of Peterson pipes and having heard good things in general about their tobaccos as well, I was looking forward to trying this blend. Unfortunately that anticipation quickly dissipated.

Opening the tin it was hard to tell if there was actually tobacco inside, or if it had been mistakenly replaced with potpourri. A very overpowering, almost perfume-like smell emerged. The tobacco was very moist, to the point where I decided to dry it out quite a bit before trying it, this thankfully also seemed to reduce the fragrance a little.

The taste was nowhere near as bad as the smell, but still nothing to write home about. The tobacco was still overpowered by the casing and the whole blend felt quite bland and artifical. I gave it quite a few more tries, but halfway through the tin I just gave up and handed it to my neighbour, who interestingly enough was very positive and thought it was quite a good tobacco.

One star is perhaps a little harsh, apart from the initial smell it's not a horrible tobacco, it's just obviously not suited for my palette. But it's a subjective review after all and the simple fact is that I just wouldn't recommend this blend to anyone, and then one star is the only fair score.

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

When I first bought this blend, I was less than impressed. It was wet, burned hot, and bit constantly. The smell was OK, room note tolerable, but taste was destroyed by the constant bite. I put it in my closet and moved on to other blends.

That all occurred within about a month of my starting to smoke a pipe. It stayed in the closet for 2 or 3 months. Just today, in fact right as I am writing this, I opened up the tin for a second time to give it a smell. It appears that I had improperly closed the tin because now the tobacco was dry- not too dry however. Further, the tin smell had become far richer and intense. I was hit immediately by heavy vanilla and apricot; I couldn't detect the supposed cinnamon until I lit the bowl.

I took the blend to my kitchen, rubbed it out, replacing it in the tin. I then packed a full bowl and, after the charring light, proceeded to smoke a very acceptable aromatic.

It is still a little bitey from time to time, a slower smoker shouldn't have any trouble however. It's sweet and the tin aroma is transferring well to room note through the smoke. It has also cooled down a considerable amount since the unintentional dry out. It has no trouble staying lit or even. Further, huge clouds of smoke.

My tongue is tingling at the moment, something which doesn't occur with most blends I smoke- I think it's because I tend to be a slightly fast smoker and this blend really needs a slow draw. I mention it only for the other fast smokers out there.

I think I'll stick to my English blends, but, this is a perfectly acceptable tin aromatic- however, I am sure the local tobacconist has something in bulk which is similar and probably a lot less expensive.

2 stars, as of 10/31/09. I'll update this review in another month or two, see whether things have progressed.

pipe-smokers.net Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe-smokers.net (5)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Upon opening this tin you are hit with a wonderful aroma of cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. The smell is so good that I actually left the tin open in my car in hopes that it would stick around (it did not). I packed a bowl and set off for a long walk as I tend to do with new tobacco to fully enjoy the new flavors. This proved to be the wrong decision, the smoke was HOT, and that flavor that I smelled was non-existant. I actually quit smoking it half way into the walk. Needless to say I was disappointed.

I left the tin about 4 weeks and returned to it yesterday………This can't be the same stuff I was smoking a month ago!! It's a very light smoke, but the flavors were great, and it burned cool and clean! For me Gold Blend is a winner after some time to dry out and some patients. Gold blend thanks for not giving up and loosing hope…. Original Blog Link: http://ow.ly/15WsuK

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have still some aromatics in stand-by after I started with MacB's Black Ambrosia on Apr22/2009.

Golden Blend - no. 3 in that list - was waiting unsealed since. I had just a couple of bowls or bit more just after the purchase.

GB (golden yellow lid) has a beautiful contrasted colour similarf to an EM. The tin smells aromatic, of course, in the vein of the Danish Pastry (vanilla, nuts and a bit of cinnamon). At the touch I feel high quality leaves.

The smoke is mild both in strenght and body. The resemblance to Golden Ambrosia is remarkable, GB is just two notches more flavoured. GB smokes very smooth, cool and velvety (same 9mm filtered Savinelli Spigot). No bite at all. The flavouring is consistent - difficult to trace true tobacco taste, as it happended with GA instead - but not overwhelming or cloying.

GB is truly a quality aromatic, which I could recommend *. The fact is that I don't see any good reason to pay all those euros. GA perfectly fits the bill when I'm in the mood for an aro.

uvacom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
uvacom (5)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I picked up this tin from the B&M because it had about 4-5 years of age on it (based on date from price tag) and from the tin description, I had no idea this was an aromatic. Well, it is, but it is more tasteful than most.

It's at least a unique and tasteful blend of casings, so it doesn't smell like a cheap lotion marketed for pubescent girls like many aromatics do.

It actually tastes rather nice, too. It's an easy blend that's good to keep around for sharing. The only problem, and for me it's a big one, is that it leaves behind its mark quite strongly in a pipe in which it is smoked.

Starting at a baseline of two stars, I'm docking this a star for not having any true complexity and docking it another for leaving its calling card in my pipe. But I'm giving it a star for being a rare tasteful aromatic and giving it another star for being so easy-going in its smokability and approachability.

BigBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigBear (10)

Another great change of pace tobacco, I enjoy aromatics but they seem to be shallow, and lack depth. A good step up for the novice smoker from the drug store brand.

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Not that I've been hunting for anymore of this light, airy and aromatic blend, but with Murray's shut down, I'm simply wondering if Gold Blend was picked up when the Peterson's blends made the shift.

Gold Blend is classy in leaf and presentation, but the flavor is just not there for me. I like an occasional puff on the sweet side, but I also like to taste the tobacco and feel like I'm smoking without having to check the bowl to make sure the weed is lit.

Lovers of light aromatics with quality leaf will enjoy this one and that is why I give it three stars.

rincewind8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rincewind8 (6)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This was my first Peterson blend. Not too much nicotine and lots of artificial flavoring but translates to great room note. Oh yes, this one bites like rabbit on crack. Recommended for beginners.

shihan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shihan (22)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

One of petersons better efforts. I found it to have a good taste and very pleasant room note. The hickory nut is subtle, a nice background to the burley. The only negative was a little tongue bite.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

A well balanced aromatic. Mild sweet taste with no bite. Good packing and burning properties. Even people loathing aromatics could savor it. Well done Peterson!

indyf1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
indyf1 (17)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was pleasantly surprised by this blend. I use a churchwarden, and this tobacco smoked cool with almost no bite. It was quite relaxing, puffing away in my local tobacconist's shop. Taste and aroma are both reminiscent of cinnamon and nutmeg. Might look elsewhere if you want a strong, robust smoke, though.

While smoking this, I have visions of the Irish countryside -- a cold, crisp morning with dew all about. I imagine sitting in a small cottage with pleasant smoke wafting throughout. A small fire burns in the corner keeping the teapot warm. My rocking chair is the perch to reconsider the day's events.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

A little better than W. O. Larsen, but along the same lines of a sweet, candied European. Too much oil of coconut to make the blend hot and windy. Not worth the time or trouble. Too many other good things out there to enjoy, even within the Peterson family.

One of five stars

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An aromatic that you will not get tired of smoking. All the cinnamon, hickory nut, and vanilla produce a unique flavor. It's kind of like curry many tastes go in but a singular taste emerges.Better than ANY of thte other European Aromatics I have smoked.Very similar to McClellands "Easy Street" in all characteristics- only better stuff overall. 3 of 4 stars!

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

For me, a good blend...not a great blend, mind you, but a good one.

Starting at the beginning, the tin aroma is wonderful...kind of a vanilla, nuts, cinnamon, and spices mixed with a sweet cavendish and all rolled into one. This translates quite nicely to the room note. I'd say that the room note quite literally smells like a "smoky" version of the tin...nothing misleading at all.

As for the smoking, I'll start with the taste. Mild, but not too mild so as to become boring. The taste tends not to change for most of the bowl...the only exceptions are that the first few puffs (1/8 bowl, maybe) seemed quite sweeter than the rest, and the last few puffs (1/8-ish again) seemed to be less flavorful. This is par for the course, though with cased aromatics. I also didn't get bit at all smoking this, although I don't think it'd be too difficult to let the heat get out of hand with this one, so be sure to puff slowly.

The flavor itself was very pleasant. Much like the aroma, although spicier...by spicy I mean like nutmeg/cinnamon/all-spice, not what we often equate with perique blends. Very much a vanilla cavenish with the addition of these nutty and spicy qualities...it makes for an enjoyable smoke.

The only downside is that this will definitely not be for those looking for a "strong" smoke. If you typically smoke English blends (or anything heavy on virginia, oriental or perique tobaccos) and are looking for an aromatic to change the pace, you probably won't find much redemption in this one. But, to those who enjoy aromatics (or even the lighter of the English blends) this makes for a good "dessert" tobacco...great for late at night when you want something sweet and not too serious. I also find that its a great first smoke of the day...with my coffee, its as good a compliment as spice cake or a good muffin.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I enjoyed this very much, I could definitely taste the cinnamon as well as nutmeg, very spicy, not in the peppery perique way, but in a walk through a spice shop way. Not for all the time, as it is too distracting for relaxation, but if you want a nice aromatic with a wonderful aroma this would be a fine choice.

mr_b76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr_b76 (7)

This had a very mellow flavor. Casing was not overbearing. The cavendish was noticable but tied everything together nicely. Overall a pleasant smoke.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (37)

I'm a big fan of aromatics, and vanillas especially. Although the vanilla and spice flavoring is very understated, this is a terrific tobacco. I usually smoke this in the mornings. It is a mild, hospitable first pipe as well as a good evening smoke. Excellant tobacco quality and variety. It packs easilly and lights well. I did not find any significant bite to this, unlike a great many aromatics.

I like the flavor as well. It goes well with coffee or tea. It doesn't overpower the pallette or the pipe, and tastes like tobacco, of all things! It's a good, cool smoke, easy on the nose and of those in the room. Potentially an all-day kind of tobacco. I'm keeping this in my regular rotation.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Smoked very carefully, I found that I could actually taste the cinnamon now and again. They aren't lying when call it mellow. Very light on the aromatic front. The Va was a bit weak, the burley seems to overpower it.

Room note got great reviews. Guess I might have liked it better if someone else had been smoking it.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is one of several aromatics I've tried with a strong plum type sweetness as a background. Gold Blend is similar to Dan Tobacco Blue Note, but turned down a few notches. Or Evening Stoll or Sunday's Fantasy turned up a few notches. Peterson uses good tobacco too.

CpnFred Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CpnFred (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This was the second Peterson tobacco I tried. I still found the flavor inconsistent. The tobaccos smell nice according to my girlfriend; however, I'm the one who wants to get something out of it. These seem to be good tobaccos for people to be around. I'd just not suggest this one to smoke.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm not usually a fan of highly aromatic blends but, for some reason I decided to plop down some of my hard earned dollars for a tin of this stuff. Upon opening the tin I was met by the typical aromatic blast of sugary sweet cavendish that was matched to a nutty aroma, just as the label describes. I bought this blend just to see how the burley effected this aromatic. After the initial light I thought to myself, "this might be nice after all." After a few puffs I was starting to loose interest in this smoke. The initial taste on the pallet was no longer pleasent but obtrusive and overbearing. This blend is so overbearingly sweet, that not even half way through the bowl I felt like a child who had gorged himself on a mountain of cotton candy. The other draw back to this blend, and many other aromatics is the intense tounge seering that I get. I have a passion for the most robust of tobaccos and almost never experience any form of bite. My mouth and smoking style just not condusive to heavily processed and cased tobacco. I curse myself for spending money on a tin of tobacco that will surely go untouched from now on out. My opinion of this blend and other aromatics falls back on a matter of taste preferrence. Some brothers of the briar prefer aromatic, some latakia, some natural, and many other types. I just happen to shy away from anything scented cased, flavored, perfumed, etc. To each his own I say. Tobaccos of this nature just don't "float my boat."

donquixote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donquixote (1)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of the first tobaccos that I smoked. It has a wonderful aroma, it lit and burned well and has no bite.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

I find Gold Blend by Peterson to be of my favorite ocasional tobaccos to smoke earlier in the day. It presents itself as an aromatic from the moment you open the lid you get that Cinnamony-Vanilla aroma. The cut of the tobacco is in all shapes and forms, which to me looks more like a potpourri of diversity of tobacco.

I love an aromatic tobacco and like any aromatic they do have a tendency to bite thhe tongue if smoked too fast. Personally I really did not notice any tongue bite with this blend.

The aroma of the tobacco while smoking is not overwhelming but yet presenting itself as a mild sweetness.

I do recommend when selecting this tobacco to have one or more pipes designated for this tobacco. I find that Gold Blend, Blue Note and Sweet Vanilla Honeydew compliment each other and can be all smoked in the same pipes.

Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This blend had me vexed. It is a very strong aromatic much like Blue Note, although a little lighter. It is also very obviously made with quality leaf. The problem I had is that it bites like a rabid ferret! The taste is wonderful- but that just gets me to smoking faster and getting bit that much worse. Smoking slower didn't help much either. Drying out and DGT were also useless. I finally had to give the rest of the can to a friend who ended up having the same problem. The blending in the can was also very inconsistent. There were all sizes of cuts involved and even a ball of paste I can only hope was casing! All in all a tasty tobacco that I just couldn't handle. (And I regularly smoke red VA flakes!!!) Stick with the pricier Blue Note- It's worth it!!!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Fragrant burley? Mmmmm....?

Whenever I read "black cavendish" my eyes glaze over; whenever the flavour of this processed leaf predominates, I fall right down to sleep. This is the mildest, lightest aromatic excuse for wasting a match.

The hickory nut, a Dixie cousin of the Tonka bean, more usually seen hereabouts as a flavouring agent for basse cuisine cheeses and meats, gives this concoction a cute smell when you burn it, but you cant't rally taste it. Ditto the cinnamon.

For fanciers of the lightest aromatics.