A smooth and exquisite blend of golden and orange Virginias, sweetish Black Cavendish, fragrant Burley and a fabulous aroma of honey and the all time favorite vanilla flavor.

BrandPeterson
Taste

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Like every Peterson?s aromatic I have tried, this is a lovely looking blend that smells wonderfully sweet in the tin, but which unleashes a lot of heat when smoked. Since I don?t smoke aromatics often, I don?t have a lot of patience for such blends. If you are an aromatic fan, though, you might enjoy it. I would start with Peterson?s Sunset Breeze or Sweet Kilarney first, though, as I prefer the flavor in those.

Gtownviking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gtownviking (2)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

The first thing one notices is the aroma from the tin. It is wonderfully delightful. It packed well and lit easy. The second thing is the room note. According to the gentlemen sitting next to me smoking cigars, it is very pleasant. It is not offensive at all. As for the taste, the sweetness of the Cavendish is present but not overpowering. It is however not for beginners. The tongue bite on this one is strong if one is not too careful. It requires a slow draw and infrequent puffs, making you take your time and enjoy it. I can taste a hint of the orange and the vanilla of course and the honey as well, which is the flavor one is left with at the end of the puff. At least for me. It is slightly creamy (vanilla, I presume) and with the citrus flavor, it lends itself to being more of a summer smoke I would think.

Pipe Used: Pete #999

Age When Smoked: About 6 months

Purchased From: Heroes and Legacies (B&M)

Breizh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Breizh (7)

I thought that it was about time I added a few reviews to this great website, so here's the first of a few more to come...

This Peterson Luxury Blend has the most amazing aroma when the tin is opened, rich & heavy. It's quite moist when first opened from new, but once rubbed into the bowl it lights nicely with big puffs of smoke. It smells way richer and fuller than it tastes, but that is always the way with aromatics. You need to smoke this slowly to ensure no tongue bite, as bite it will if rushed. It's not a strong tobacco nicotine wise, but enjoyable enough, with a pleasant room note which others seem to like. Won't be in a rush to buy another tin, but nice to have tried it and to bring it out for bowl every now and then.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney 338

Age When Smoked: First out the tin & 1 year later

Purchased From: James Fox Dublin

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

A nice entry in the Peterson line of aros. Smells nice from the tin and is a bit on the moist side. The components come together and it smokes well. Like a lot of the others in this line, this really does not jump out and say "smoke me." Probably will not come back to this one, but happy to give any blend a shot.

Pipe1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe1000 (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A wonderful blend with a subtle, but defiantly noticeable, sweet taste of honey and Vanilla (although less vanilla). The only time I get an astringent taste (I think some may refer to it orange) is if it's smoked repeatable and often, taking too big of a draw and not letting the pipe rest between puffs. For me to get the full taste of the honey casing is by clenching on the pipe in the teeth and ever so gently, slowly and calmly puffing and letting the smoke almost float out of my mouth. Otherwise I get what others have described as orange / citrus (as I mentioned, for me a bitter astringent taste)

Once you've got the hang of it, you will be rewarded with a full flavoured quality aromatic.

jamesintexas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jamesintexas (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Pleasant

Slight vanilla with ORANGE! Very unique. Reminds me a little of the old DreamSicle if you are old enough to remember. Burns quickly so tamp often or you will lose the flavor. Burns down to complete ash. Definite Vit. N so don't stand up too quickly.

MoonDocker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MoonDocker (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I enjoy this tobacco a lot. It has a mild aromatic flavour not overpowering and my wife appreciated the pleasant room note. It was a comfort to smoke and not overwhelming. The flavour changes as you smoke to the bottom of the bowl from a little taste of citrus to vanilla. I noticed a little bit of moisture collecting towards the end of the smoke. Great morning smoke with coffee or tea. This is definitely a tobacco at the top of my list.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Strong

I guess I was hoping for something else in this blend by Peterson. I love an aromatic and even more so with the case of a Vanilla, but the discription did say "and a touch of the all time favourite Vanilla Flavour", there was a very small touch as I never did detect the Vanilla.

The tobacco had the taste was that of a sweet fruity flavor and the aroma was almost too sweet.

The one thing I would recommend if one decides to smoke this tobacco, dedicate a pipe just for this blend alone as it will be in the bowl of your pipe for a long time.

El Brento Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
El Brento (2)
Very Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Well I had high hopes for Luxury Blend to be a plesant change of pace from my regular English blends. Alas it was not to be. There may have been some tobacco in the tin, but I couldn't tell as the casing was overwhelming! The taste was of honey and Orange Crush and that's it. The burn was alright, but when a tobacco taste's this bad, who the Hell cares how well it burns?!! I had to use the salt&alcohol treatment afterwards as the flavor hijacked my pipe. I didn't even try to unload this on a fellow BoB, I tossed the remainder into the trash. Zero stars!

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I'm by no means an expert .....but I am a lover of pipes and pipe smoking. After opening the tin I enjoyed what was drifting into my face. Sweet, subtle and pleasant.

I enjoyed the coolness and flavour of the smoke and did not find or feel a bite. I found the room note pleasant and minutely sweet. I would smoke this again and would recommend this for anyone.

Pipe Used: Tim West freehand

Purchased From: Jade tobacconists Regina

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (10)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I usually dont smoke aromatics so i dont have much to go on. when you open the tin, the smell is really great and you might think that this aromatic might taste some of the flavours that the tin says, but nooo this blend is very bland and i couldent taste much of anything just a sweet,tangy tobacco that burns hot. it smells way better both in the tin and when smoked than what it tastes like.

its borderline between ok and bad, i will not buy another tin of this.

Pipe Used: Vauen 3214

Purchased From: Mellgrens fine tobacco

Umlilo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Umlilo (5)

A bit more oomph than the De Luxe blend with the nicotine, tasted good and I liked the flavours - not as good as some at describing them but suffice to say not over powering or sickly but pleasant if not altogether that memorable. Smoked well through the bowl. Smoke was heavier than the De Luxe blend as well. I tried a sample and would come back for more. I'd say at the moment I'm searching for good flavours and depth of the flavour and I don't feel I found the depth of flavours here.

stevie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stevie (3)

luxury blend is nice aromatic can be a tad hot at times but its not as overpowering as sunset or conniseur this is my first tin of this tobacco dont think i will be in a hurry to buy another.

Pipe Used: peterson 302 rustic

Purchased From: leith pipe shop

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (30)

As I review all aromatics - when I smoke an aromatic, I want to know I am smoking an aromatic. This just not have enough topping to make it worthy. Not much of a flavor to this one. Would not buy again.

puffcloud Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puffcloud (11)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

i like the tin - simple, round, classic. after opening... not much. does smell of tobacco, and this is where it ends. after several bowls, i find this one boring. there is no distinctive flavor, no special aroma, pretty much nothing much. cant taste anything here, to be honest. kinda 'whatever' if you get what i mean. i would not buy this again - there just ain't anything about it. i love aromatics, and this one just isn't it.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (26)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

This is one of my favorite blend when I don't want to annoy the nonsmokers around. The room get filled with an aroma quite profound of V and B slightly. Taste is enjoyable but in time tend to burn your tongue a bit. Anyway, when your tongue start to feel the N, the Cavendish start to be predominant. So, try with confidence this blend, nothing can go wrong, but don't exaggerate vanilla and honey will provoke your stomach to riot....

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)

One of the best aromatics I've smoked. Perefect balance of light flavoring and smooth tobacco taste. Not a goopy, "candy" aro by any means. Great room note. I've been smoking this tin on and off for six month and it is great. I usually smoke english blends. Enjoy amigos!

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild Mild Full Very Pleasant

I have had Luxury Blend in my stock for the last 3-4 years. I bought this and it has sat sealed in my collection for some time. I have thought to try it many times, but due to the other bulk tobaccos in my stock I always set it aside. I finally decided to break the seal and give it a try and was I every amazed to what I have been missing! This is one of the best tasting tinned Peterson tobaccos I have tried in many years. The room note is great, the taste is 10 out of 10 and the smoking pleasure is top notch. If you have not tried this blend, please do yourself a favor and go out a get a tin. This is a great summer to fall smoke and is going to be in high rotation throughout the many fall nites and through the winter months! Have a great fall! MZMN 9-10-12

Mississippi_Pipe_Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mississippi_Pipe_Smoker (1)

I purchased this tobacco today from my local pipe shop and I was pleased. The tin note is sweet, but not overwhelming. Reminds me more of a vanilla blend I used to smoke called Bella Vanilla. For the new pipe smoker, I wouldn't recommend, it will bite you easy if your not careful. The room note is nice, again, just a vanilla, I am pleased with my purchase but I'm looking for something different rather than the same old vanilla haha. I'll give this tobacco a 3 out of 4 stars and will probably buy it again.

vanadium Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vanadium (3)

Mix with Peterson University flak in 1:1 ratio is perfect. You can get stronger flavor and nicotine level from the flake and pleasant room note from Luxury Blend.

Carbon cake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carbon cake (9)
Very Mild Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This was the first pipe tobacco I tried and I love it . The taste is really nice, and has a creamy feel to the smoke I think it might be the vanilla. I really did not pickup on the orange flavor in taste or smell but I did taste the honey and vanilla. This tobacco was easy to light and it had a nice cool smoke from start to finish. On the down side this tobacco did burn a bit hot and there was some gurgle but it's nothing a bit of slow draws on the pipe and a pipe cleaner can't solve. All in all it is a good tobacco and I will have to buy more because I just ran out .

LightenUp-mypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LightenUp-mypipe (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

In looking for a rich quality tobacco having nice nicotine levels with a great room note I found it in this. However it didn't come easy. I'm still a novice but several months ago as a beginner this was the first tobacco I smoked. I don't reccomend it for beginners. Given several months for experience and age on the tobacco I found what works best for me and find it to be very pleasurable. In the tin I get something of what might smell like a fruity dark rum, this is quality you can smell in rich tobacco. On the palette it is rich and thick tobacco flavor. If you're used to mild flavored aromatics and looking for those orange, honey, and vanilla flavors you will be disappointed. As most think of aromatics in that manner I think Petersons suffers a bit from honesty. The vast majority of "pure" tobacco blends have some topping that's not noted, but the tin description is honest and accurate, "an exquisite blend" "with a fabulous aroma" and it is that. For my own notes, I now use rich aromatic, flavored aro, and non aro. It does seem a bit better with age and some dry time. It also smokes very hot. My success came with a thick walled briar using a filter, and taking time as it seems it's meant only to be sipped. and in doing so comes a nice slow full tobacco flavor smoke with a good bit of nicotine and a room note as good or better than any. It also burns down to a clean dry ash.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)

In my opinion the best of the Peterson aromatics. I can't taste the orange at all, but it does taste like the deluxe mixture with a little something taken away, and a little something added. Very pleasant in the morning with coffee. The nic levels are perfect. Will probably buy more of this.

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The combination of flavors in this blend work really well together. You don't get the taste or smell of any of the individual components, rather a well rounded combination. The flavors also do not over power the under laying taste of good quality tobaccos.

Once again, another enjoyable smoke from Peterson.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is an uncomplicated blend that does its aromatic job. Unlike "de luxe mixture" this blend manages to get all its flavours out and the room note is quite delicious.

Like many aromatics, this is a room-note crowd pleaser, but at least it gives something back to the smoker.

Holmlover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holmlover (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very mild and fruity flavored blend that I would recommend to both a newer pipe smoker, or a seasoned aromatic pipester. It has as a bonus a wonderful room note to keep the ladies happy! A very good offer from Peterson.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Maybe some vanilla, maybe maple/Carmel , maybe some berry, maybe some anise,I don't get the orangebut nice. I bought this a week ago and it seemed hot and steamy, now, after a week to breath, a very pleasant smoke. I'm not an aromatic kind of smoker, but this one I can get by with. I'm smoking this now and I seem to be getting some bitterness about half way through the bowl, NO wait, it's a chocolate. I might keep this one around. This would be great with a nice cup of coffee. No gurgle, no real bite, wife didn't complain, I can only hope it will age well since this is a once a week smoke.

diegofarney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
diegofarney (1)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Uau.. if you are an aromatic fan this is your blend! I've tried so many different ones and there are a few that I think deserve a gold medal, but this one? Hell yeah!

You open the tin and it's like a christmas present: the tobacco presents to you beautiful and lose. The blacks, golds and browns mix together to create a remarkable blend! So smooth, great tobacco taste (the sweetness from the Virginias and a beautiful hint of creaminess from the Cavendish's) and a fruity/vanilla taste just tops the hole cake.

¾ of the bowl smoked and you start to feel the nicotine. There's a much stronger taste, you loose the sweetness from the Virginias and the creaminess tasted in the beginning is no longer there. Curiously the room note stays almost the same: nice, smooth and creamy (almost woody) smell.

One of the best for me!

UncleDoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleDoc (8)

Actually I'm a fan of Peterson and this blend has almost everything that I expect from a tobacco. Very smooth burning, little bite and no exaggerated aroma. I think you will love it as well as everybody around you.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I've enjoyed other Peterson blends so I was anticipating this one. Maybe I got a bad tin but this was like drawing hot air through my pipe. I've noticed there are reviews of blends in which some of the critics claim the particular blend was overcased with sickeningly sweet goop and other reviewers say the same blend had no aromatic qualities at all. I wonder if the problem is one of quality control and consistency by the blending company.

According to the label, this blend was cased with orange, vanilla and honey. In an attempt to salvage this tin and get some flavor into it I've sprinkled a few drops of triple sec onto the paper liner and closed the tin tightly for a few days. We'll see how it works in a couple of days.

In the future I'll stick with Sweet Mystery, Peterson's Deluxe and the Stanwell stuff.

UPDATE: Well, the triple sec treatment didn't help at all. I finished the tin anyway but I'm not likely to get another.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)

The tin aroma is very similar to the applied flavoring. I recall this blend having a very enticing flavor that was more enjoyable than Sunset Breeze. It burned all right but was a little too harsh & bitey for me and the flavor vanished rather quickly.

This is not bad but I've sinced moved on up to non-cased or unflavored blends. I graduated toward blends with more tobacco strength and natural or feintly applied flavorings. I think Peterson, as a whole, produces some great blends. This wasn't bad but did not make my "top fifty."

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Peterson's Luxury Blend smells and tastes as though it were a special, secret, hand-crafted blend of which only the worthiest of pipe smokers were allowed to partake. And for just around twelve bucks, you too can feel like you're part of that royal brotherhood of distinguished pipe smokers...because no experienced and distinguished pipe smoker would ever turn this down. Luxury Blend by Peterson is a beautifully crafted leaf through and through. Where to begin? Upon opening the tin, you are immediately greeted by the variety of Virginia tobaccos, and you can really smell each different one. A delicious amalgam of fruity, almost fig-like smells, a nice roasted and aged woodsy undertone, and to top it off, a peppery spicy smell that's sure to tantalize tickle your nose. Add the sweet and chocolaty aroma of Black Cavendish and the toasted nuttiness of good old Burley, all cased in a delicate, sweet smelling citrus-honey-vanilla casing, and you have yourself one hell of a smoke. The taste is quite luxurious indeed. Beautifully complex and flavorful, but mild enough to not overpower the smoker (or his mates) with heavy and overly rich tobacco taste and smell. The smell of Luxury is definitely distinct and may not be enjoyed by everyone, but those who do enjoy it will have a symphony of great smell and flavor from their first puff to their last. Furthermore, this blend smokes cool, dry, and without bite. It makes for a very relaxing, rich after-dinner smoke, and can be enjoyed just as fully as the world's finest cigars. In summary, this stuff is a damn fine smoking tobacco. If you like pipes and feel like smoking a bowl of the King's private stash, save yourself a count of treason and possible beheading and find this instead. You'll have bested the stingy King, and be smoking higher quality stuff than all of the crowned heads of Europe. Win win for the savvy smoker with royal tastes.

LoKi6922 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoKi6922 (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A tobacco I very much enjoy. Very mild aromatic flavour, nice smooth tobacco and warm room note. Very comforting to smoke, and not too overwhelming for a beginner, with enough subtlety for the advanced smoker to enjoy. Flavours change from beginning to end in a subtle dance of vanilla and citrus. Great with a spot of tea or hot coffee.

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This blend isn't bad, but it lacks in taste. The flavor is somehow dull, I could only taste the burley along with some dull faded topping. I have tasted much better aromatics than this one.

Kev-La Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kev-La (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Now, this is a tobacco worth savouring. Despite my relative inexperience in the fields of pipe-smoking, I am quickly developing a taste for what I like, and at the moment what I like is Luxury Blend. A pretty combination of colours is presented upon opening the tin, and the smell is gorgeous: something akin to iced currant buns straight out of the oven. I've found that the small ribbons of Luxury Blend smoke directly from the tin, with no necessity for rubbing or drying. After a false light to toast the very top, and a gentle tamp, the second or third light remains the last without too much trouble. Due to its delicious nature, I find I smoke this tobacco relatively fast. Luckily, it is forgiving in the bite department. I can taste the oranges and honey, weaving their way above and below the vanilla, the latter seeming to enjoy more limelight than I would have assumed from the tin's description. I also find a hint of creamy caramel making a brief guest appearance somewhere in nearly every bowl. A very smooth and satisfying smoke, quite subtly flavoured but appealing nonetheless to those of us with at least one sweet tooth.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is a fine aromatic, but there is nothing special about it, heavy casing ,hot burning ,good room note , little taste. I couldn't taste any orange, the casing seems similar to sweet killarney with a little more punch. I don't smoke this kind of tobacco regularly but I recommend it to smokers of heavily cased aromatics.

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (9)

A bit of something and nothing for me. Not sure why I would smoke this in preference to a more pungent aromatic or a straight VA etc. It's fine, but nothing to shout about.

supersmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
supersmoke (12)
Medium Mild Medium Unnoticeable

When I checked the reviews beforw i brought this there were several 4 stars. After buying it, trying it and not liking it I have recheked the reviews and there are now three 2 star reviews one after the other. I agree with the later reviews I cant really taste the aromatic side of things and the base tobaccos are not good. I think that there are to many things in it Virginia Burley orange honey and vanilla quite a cocktail. Hardly suprising you cant taste anything. I should have worked that out for mself before I brought it really, lots of flavours does not realy mean luxury, though it smells nice in the tin. I have had other Peterson Blends and they were okay, But this one no.

I like most of Petersons Blends but had not tried this one. It is very much an aromatic that does not have an off the top casing and lets the tobacco taste be the main player, not the added flavors. It has a fresh, sweet aroma in the tin, and it really dries fast. From too moist to almost too dry in just a couple of hours of setting out. It loads well in the pipe as it is of a rough cut ribbon in medium to dark brown mix, and it lights right up with the first light and stays lit all the way down. It burns down to a fine ash, very dark grey in color with no dottle or residue in the bottom of the pipe. Not a goopy aro at all. The flavor upon lighting is the VA components with a slight sweetness and room note. I did pick up the vanilla wafting in and out and a touch of the orange on first light but lost it for most of the bowl. It is a mild blend that is easy on the tongue, you have to want to make it bite. It has so little topping on it that really I was let down some. The natural tobaccos in it are not anything special, good but not great. Because of this, I can't give it high marks, but it would be a great blend for a beginner or one that wants to cross over from aros to natural tobaccos.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This is the third Peterson I've sampled, and the second of their aromatics, after the Xmas 2009 Limited Edition.

A fresh tin comes pretty densely packed; ever so slightly moist, with a medium balance of aromas, albeit a standard looking mixture. I wouldn't normally go for an orange casing, or anything of a citrus nature in a tobacco, but it seems rather subtle, and married well with the top note, which is undoubtedly honey-sweet.

I'd echo the sentiments of others here by suggesting that this would be a great tobacco for caking a new briar in double-quick - and most likely - record time. The first two or three bowls were winners; lighting up easily and burning consistently and with a marvelous nose, leaving one hell of a residue on the pipe walls in the process! The smoke was lighter and more flavorsome through to the mid bowl, with the nutty Burley and lightness of the Virginias refusing to be overshadowed by the casing, which, in itself, was far from the sugary kind I half expected.

Strangely, the tin begins to dry rather rapidly (think hours, rather than weeks), and the vanilla manifests itself in place of the orange. Upon a subsequent smoke, no less than a day later, I could've sworn that this was a different tobacco. It was much flatter, almost leading me to surmise that Luxury Blend had been poorly top-dressed after the tin had been filled. Plough through the top layer over a couple of days of amiable piping and there's nothing left to get particularly excited about - a bit like a failed excavation at a Roman site. Indeed, the residual casing, or whatever was left after the orange oil had receded, seemed to make for an unnatural bitterness and a sharp aftertaste.

Not the worst I've ever tasted by a long chalk, and Luxury Blend is capable of delivering some fine smoking moments in bursts. However, I think It's moniker is certainly a misnomer, and I'm expecting much more from the Connoisseur's Choice that will follow suit.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I dried this out by putting on a napkin for 3 hours. This was a 2 match smoke. Lots of clouds of smoke. Smoked dry, no gurgles.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Fine aromatic from Peterson.

I have already tried Connissours choice, De Luxe Mixture, Gold B lend (dissappointing), and the awfully chemically saturated Sunset Breeze.

Luxury Blend sits between Connissours and De Luxe. It's less fruity than the tropical extravaganza that Connissours choice is, but it does have a mild fruit overtone (maybe the alleged orange?!) mixed with vanilla/honey.

De Luxe is the blend without the fruitiness, with just the vanilla, honey, and mild walnut taste.

I may actually make this my go to aromatic when I want a break from FVF, 1792, VAP'ers...

Well done, good qaulity tobacco to boot as well..

john1179 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john1179 (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

RIGHT OUT OF THE CAN THIS IS ONE OF PETERSONS BEST. HAS GREAT AROMA. FLAVOR IS VERY MILD AND SWEET. MAKES GREAT ROOM AROMA,VERY LITTLE BITE AND TASTE IS ONE OF THE BEST FROM PETERSON.

Pipe Boiler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Boiler (11)

I went to my local Russian supplier and asked for a tin of Sherlock Holmes to try for the first time and when I got back to the hotel this was what was in the bag. I was disappointed but tried it anyway and enjoyed it very much. Easy filling and stayed lit throughout. A few flavours going on here. Orange comes through very well.Loads of aroma to. It burns well and quite slowly. Enjoyed it. I think all Peterson tobacco seems to suit me well. It probably wont be a regular though. Old Dublin still does it for me. I have now experienced 8 different tobaccos and touch wood havent yet felt any tongue burn yet I like to pull the smoke over my tongue in short pulls to get all the flavour when testing.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)

I give this Peterson offering 4 stars not because I think it's the best tobacco the world has ever seen, but because for the style of tobacco, it is at the top of its class.

Tin is densely packed, smells like heaven. I can see the subtle topping being mistaken for something more run-of-the-mill like "just vanilla" but really, I think the blender's description is bang on - orange, honey, and just a little vanilla.

The tobacco is of excellent quality, like all Peterson offerings, with no hint of humectants. In the pipe, it starts quite sweet, and develops into a stronger more tobacco-oriented flavor at the bottom of the bowl. It smokes almost like a Lakeland at the bottom. The topping changes or fades out, but never disappears. A very light smoke with a nice full taste, not as spicy as Connoiseur's Choice, and not as heavily topped. Certainly not as heavily topped as most Danish aros, like Larsen, for instance.

I enjoy this stuff. Puff slow - it will heat up, like any virginia-based aromatic.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a tobacco that I would not have tried unless it was out to be sampled. I am sure glad that I did. This may be my new favorite aromatic pipe tobacco. It has a wonderful tin note, that smells of vanilla and honey. The there are a lot of different colors that look to be of high quality upon looking in the tin. Upon lighting there is a faint taste of orange, and honey. I really like those flavors together. There is also a lot of "real tobacco" taste in here also. The burly has the typical nutty flavor that compliments the earthy and a sweet VA tobacco. The vanilla starts to show up about mid bowl and adds the perfect balance to this impeccable blend. The bowl never gets too wet or hot, and the tobacco burns to a nice fine ash.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

This is just your typical Cavendish with a little bit of vanilla in it. Almost so little casing that it hardly qualifies as a "cased tobacco," certainly not your typical "goopy aromatic." I didn't detect ANY of the orange or honey that the tin label claims is in there. It's a mild, light smoke, with a little bit of a risk of burning too hot (since it's rather a wet shag) so, what with all that Virginia in there, you might get a bit of tongue bite. Nothing like a major English Virginia-plus-Oriental bite, but some anyway. It's pleasurable to pack, and not TOO hard to light. Very much middle-of-the-road in nearly all respects. Not offensive, not spectacular. Could be an all-day-smoke if you like aromatics.

mdnghtramblr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnghtramblr (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have also tried Peterson's Irish Oak, and honestly didn't care much for it. I was a little wary when I first bought this tin, but I have to say I truly enjoyed it. The flavors are not overpowering to me, and I really enjoyed the nice mild to medium flavor of the tobacco. I would recommend anyone who likes aromatics to give this one a try.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

While similar in nature to Sweet Kilarney and Sunset Breeze, Peterson's Luxury Blend was a little less sweet and had more of a tobacco taste than those two aromatics. Still too cased for this cowboy, though.

I liked the thicker, shorter cut which made packing easy, but the sweetness was certainly hemmed in by the cavendish and exploded at the match. This one also smokes a bit wet, so a slow burn might help prevent your pipe getting a bad case of the gurgles.

Luxury Blend sure smells good both in the tin and at the match.

Capulet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capulet (8)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I've just finished a tin of this in a Peterson Donegal Rocky pipe. I found it to be one of the best aromatics I have found to date. The taste is fairly similar to Sunset Breeze, another Peterson blend although the room note is not as strongly amaretto smelling. It packs well, burns well and tastes great when accompanied with a nice glass of brandy. A good smoke at any time of the day.

pipe dreams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe dreams (15)

The only Peterson I have tried. I like this one. The burley and cavendish compliment the virginias very well. Very straightforward and although not spectacular, a good smoke for the outdoors.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)

Nice aroma but certainly not overwhelming...a light aromatic blend that still retains its tobacco smell & taste. Pretty good smoking flavor. Lights and burns OK right out of the tin & leaves a fairly nice room note. Tobacco taste still comes through, although a bit harshly but tongue bite is minimal if not pushed too hard. I found this blend to be fairly tasty and satisfying and therefore, IMHO, LB merits three *s!

Feetup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Feetup (17)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Peterson Luxury is the 5th tobacco Ive tried so far, and initially I was a little disappointed, pleasant room note, grey ash, little bite and some flavour. Nice, but nothing special. I then however, swapped from a Peterson Standard to a Killarney with a filter. Different tobacco! The various flavours came through, some honey, a little vanilla and orange if you looked for it, no bite (I think the thick bowl and me slowing up helped) and left a pleasant palate. Now the best so far. Next Nat Sherman 307 and then Peterson Old Dublin for something different. Cheers.

Komashoota Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Komashoota (6)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a nice blend for beginners. The first time I opened the tin, the nice smell of this tobacco tingled my nose! I smoked it, and liked it. My wife from the other room noticed I had changed my tobacco, and said it had a nice smell. I think it's a good tobacco for beginners. Very mild, Very nice taste, but I think it burns a bit fast.

Gran Grifón Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gran Grifón (9)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

But the name, this mixture is a humble and a very well balanced tobacco. I think this is a highly recommended mixture for begginers. Not a blend for latakia lovers. It´s sweet, fresh but not a candy, what all pipe tobaccos should be.

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very mild tobacco. The aroma is very good, but it does tend to burn very quickly. Not the worst aromatic I have smoked, but not the best either. I would try others before I return to this, but for those who like mild aromatics, give it a try.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the second Peterson I've smoked, after Sherlock Holmes. The three aromas written on the tin are well balanced in both the unlighted and lighted tobacco. The tin aroma is not so strong and very pleasant, you almost want to take a bite. Once you light it up, you will sense a perfect combination between aromas and tobacco taste. The vanilla flavor is the most sensible, followed by honey and oranges. From the last half the aromas are lost almost completely and the tobacco taste comes in front. Even tough it's and aromatic, it burns very dry but after you first open the tin you will need to dry it up a little because it's wet. It's a crowd pleaser and even non-smokers will congratulate you for it. Peterson make good quality aromatics and this is one of them.

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Wonderful tobacco! I smoke aromatics half the time and matured Virginia's for the rest. I had a hard time finding an in between tobacco that's mild all around. This is it!! Pleasant tin aroma which translates well to the smoke.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

heavier version of de lux mixture,,and more clear to the taste buds in this blend u can really taste the diffrence between the V and B as well as the cavendish well rounded and decent tobaco for the aromatic lovers,,,i reach out for the tin from time to time to give my buds a decent sweet taste of vanilla nugat chocolate with out hurting my pipe or soring my tongue burn well and leave a clean pipe after ward,,have a constant tin in the cellar

Pipe of Good Hope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe of Good Hope (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been dedicating the past few weeks of smoking to Peterson tobaccos because of the changes in blender, blends and now also packaging of most their offerings. This blend stands out as what I think is their best aromatic - it definitely trumps the Special Reserves of 2004 and 2008.

When forming an opinion on a pipe tobacco, and before offering a review which could influence others, I pay attention to the what-where-when-how. I keep my tobacco at 70% humidity and 21 degrees C. I smoke at least 1 tin or 50gr over time, I use different pipes which I clean before returning to this blend, I smoke in a peaceful environment away from drafts where I can relax and enjoy 3 or 4 pipes full at a time and fill the room with that smoke. I refrain from using silica filters and choose my accompanying drink, if any, carefully. The same tobacco will be experienced differently if you have it with tea or whisky or coffee. I prefer the latter, black with 1 sugar. I will sometimes have sparkling mineral water without lemon but never fizzy cooldrinks. I light my pipe using a soft butane flame, not a match. My views are based on smoking 50gr of this tobacco over about 2 weeks.

This blend delivers on the description given on the tin with noticeable upfront top notes of honey and vanilla. You have to look for the orange but I must admit it is there. The second half of the bowl delivers base notes of barley and light oak on top of the aromatic notes. The tobacco has a light floral core throughout which is pleasing in the case of this blend. The smoke is cool and dry and I can have 3 pipes full using the same filter before I detect the first slight slurp. Hardly any tongue bite and very little bitterness. A big plus is that it does not leave the feeling of a wax coating on your palate. I highly recommend this blend as a daytime smoke and as a regular choice for new pipe smokers. I find it to be especially rewarding in a pipe with a large bowl that will take 3 to 5gr of tobacco. Cudos to Peterson on another great tobacco. Hein Garbers, South Africa

DRijkers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DRijkers (14)

The tin promises an aroma of orange, honey and a touch of vanilla. This is an aromatic that delivers on that promise, and does it well. Unlike other aromatics that can turn wet and goopy at the end of the smoke, Peterson's Luxury blend burns down to a nice dry ash. I didn't notice any tongue bite here, but it's always a good idea to proceed slowly. Can turn a bit hot.

I noticed the orange on the first few smokes out of a fresh tin. Personally, I'm not a big fan of orangey flavors, but here it was fine. Tin note has changed since I first opened it up, and now seems to have mellowed out a bit. If it drops more of the orange, this could become a regular. Moisture content was just fine, without any need to dry this one out before smoking.

I have not tried Sunset Breeze by Peterson yet, but if it's lighter on the orange I'm sure it will be a winner.

CpnFred Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CpnFred (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin of this and enjoyed it. It smells nice but the flavor was not really consistent in any respects. I found nothing luxurious about it.

Bluebottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluebottle (18)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked most of the tin at a very good party - so the notes are a little hazy!

However, the room note stands out from the rest of the aromatic crowd - the Orange being mainly responsible for this.

Unfortunately the orange doesn't come through in the taste. However the dark berry flavours are quite nice, if it wasn't for the almost sickly vanilla topping.

Tends to burn hot, even for an aromatic. Not Peterson's best, but by no means a bad tobacco.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

First let me say that I find the tobacco to be of great quality. I must have gotten a weaker tin as a few seem to also have done because I didn't find a lot of any other flavor than tobacco. No orange, no vanilla. The aroma was nice. There was no goop left behind as it burned nice and clean all the way down. I didn't get any tongue bite, however, it seemed to burn very hot. Hotter than anything I have had in awhile. My pipe got so hot every time I smoked this, I had to stop and let it cool down before continuing on. I haven't had that happen since I first picked the pipe up. I think with a thick walled pipe, this would be a fine tobacco. As long as you weren't looking for anything special. Maybe soon I will try a different tin and it will be a different experience.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Luxury Blend is an interesting tobacco. Made up of predominantly Va's, but with a bit of Black Cavendish and Burley to keep the Va in check.

The cut is nice, and the tobacco looks good in the tin.

I am not normally a fan of blends heavy on the Va, but this one is pleasant. I did however get reminded of the Va presence on the first bowlful. Yup, got myself bitten. I let it dry a bit and slowed myself down a tad and solved that problem.

Others have said that the casing was too strong. I didn't find this to be so. Like the others, I also never really noticed the vanilla either.

What I did find was a pleasant enough aromatic that burned clean and actually had a bit of complexity to it. Not a lot, mind you, but some. If I wasn't wary of Va bite, I'd consider this an all-day smoke. I prefer to keep my attention focused when smoking Virginia blends just to be safe.

After this tin, I have one more. I'm not too sure if I'l be replacing it when it's gone. Only time will tell.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am always in the search for an aromatic that doesn't taste like nasty chemicals and has good, quality leaf in it. This is one! I am usually a Balkan smoker, but I occasionally get a sweet-tooth and this blend left me pleasantly satiated! Upon opening the tin, you are greeted with the typical black and tan ribbon cut and a nice aroma of orange and vanilla. Packing is easy, moisture is just right for an aromatic. Lighting is a three vesta affair. Initial flavor is of the aromatics, but after the second or third light, the leaf comes in to support the casing. The orange is in the forefront of this blend, with the vanilla giving a nice background kick every once in a while. The leaf used is of good quality and the VA's in this give it a excellent backbone. The flavor of the leaf takes over at the last third of the bowl and you are left with a relatively dry smattering of mottled ash. Thankfully, this did not leave a nasty aftertaste in my mouth that some aromatics do. This blend didn't nip my tongue at all, so I will rec. to neophytes as well as to those who enjoy a quality aromatic from time to time. Rating: 4 out of 5 points. Enjoy...

mikeyjqs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mikeyjqs (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this after reading Mikefromaz's review - and must say it is a very smmoth and easy to smoke tobacco. I am very new at pipe smoking and am just trying new varieties, and this is one of the very best I've tried so far.

Mikefromaz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mikefromaz (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I find it hard to believe that I am the first one to rate this top notch offering from Peterson. I was told by my tobacconist that this was a new product for them, and as he knows my preferences, Luxury Blend suited me nicely. What I found most pleasing about this blend which has little to no bite, is that you actually CAN separate the taste of citrus, and honey flavorings with just a bit of attention. I may be insensitive to vanilla these days, but I couldn't pick out the vanilla, which is ok as they advertise it as having just a "touch". The only detraction from this otherwise fine aromatic, is that like another Peterson product I tried, it seems a bit wet from the tin, which might be forgivable if the tin aroma makes you smile, which it probably will.