Premium, all natural dark tobaccos. Guaranteed extra mild without any bite. Created by master tobacco blenders by the traditional cavendish method.

Notes: Dream Castle/Super Value pipe tobaccos are manufactured by Sutliff Tobacco Company.

BrandDream Castle Tobacco Company
Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
ContentsBlack Cavendish

Visit company website

Strength
Taste
1.8
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Soft, sweet,somewhat fruity, and biteless. Not too bad for a budget black Cavendish.

But it's not too good either. You would do well to save your pennies and order some Lane BCA online.

Barring that, any tobacconist that sells pipe tobacco will have several blends better than this in his jars...

Isaiah 53:3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Isaiah 53:3 (8)
Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Pleasant

This blend smelled lovely in the pouch. However, I found it too difficult to light or keep lit. When I did manage to keep it lit for a short time, it did taste pretty nice.

I tried to dry it out and even placed desicator pouches in the bag, but it still remained quite sticky

My favorite type of tobacco is now burley, so I will probably not buy this again.

scootpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootpipe (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I do believe I have found my new "go to" tobacco. I really like this stuff. The bag aroma is very pleasant, it is very easy to pack, it take on average two lights to get it started - but once lit it burns great. It's lightly sweet but you still taste true tobacco. This is one of the only drug store tobaccos that I can't seem to get enough. As soon as I finish a bowl I want to fill my next pipe and start again. And at the price I don't have to put the pipe down.

The only complaint I have is the "cheap" sounding name. Oh well I guess it's my own fault for being so tight. But the neat thing is the label comes off the clear bag very easy - so no one else has to know how cheap I really am.

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Another freebie with a tobacco order. If they keep sending it, I'll keep smoking it. I guess.

Compared to Lane's BCA, this one is wetter, softer and less flavorful. The previous poster mentioned that this should be dried out first. Good advice, but he must have used the microwave because I let this air out for 2 days straight, checking it periodically, and it was still wringing wet. There's a reason the packet doesn't need to be sealed to keep the tobacco "fresh" (read: wet). It produced a goopy heel and tasted of chemically-enhanced "sorta-tobacco". Smelled nice, though.

If you enjoy this kind of flavor, spring for Lane's BCA. It's not that much more expensive and it's better quality by an order of magnitude. This one won't even do in a pinch.

LionWolf53 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LionWolf53 (2)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This tobacco is not for smoking. Do not know what goes into this mixture but it taste like burning plastic. Not only is the taste bitter but it also leaves a very bad aftertaste. Took a very thorough cleaning to get the taste out of my pipe. Threw the stuff in the garbage...

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a very good smoke. I could not make myself smoke more than a quater of the bag. It was making bad stains on my teeth and really gooped up the pipe I tried it in. Very wet smoking in a bad way.

Maybe if it was the only thing I could I'd smoke it very seldom. Milk and honey from pipesandcigars.com is a much better example of a good black cavandish blend for only a few bucks more.

Steve Sanders Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve Sanders (2)

My $14 12 oz bag of this stuff had quite a lot of sticks and hard chunks in it. Very moist, but not too difficult to light. Makes a mess out of the innards of the pipe.

Tasty flavor and smell once lit to about half-way through the bowl. Then it gets kind of gross.

It'd probably be better mixed with some uncased tobacco.

Jive Dadson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jive Dadson (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I bought a bag of this from a local liquor store because my mail order tobacco was delayed.

Out of the bag, it was pretty much unsmokable. It was hard to light. The first puff tasted of chemicals. It burned very wet and left a gummy doddle.

I salvaged it by toasting it in a regular oven for a few minutes at 225 F - hot enough to evaporate water, propylene glycol, and who-knows-what. I toasted it until it was quite dry. It lost a lot of weight of course. It is tolerable that way. The bad taste on lighting was still there, but not so much. It had lost sweetness. It got a little bitter after a relight.

The good qualities of the dried product are that it burns cool and produces a lot of smoke. Because of the copious smoke, I tried a mix of 2 parts Prince Albert to one part Super Value BC. That is okay, but I am still not going to smoke the stuff. It goes into the trash.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am loving my black cavendish tobaccos so decided to give this one a shot. Not much of a pouch note, it is a bit on the wet side but not horribly so. It will leave goop in the bowl btw. It stays lit well enough but there really isn't much tobacco flavor here, instead I get a particular sour taste, not horrible mind you, just odd. I have encountered this in other black cavendish tobaccos, usually just once in a while and normally in a "lump" of tobacco. I tend to break them up when packing a pipe now but with this tobacco it did not matter. I have heard that many of these are fermented tobacco and if that is the case, that is exactly what I am tasting. That particular sour bite of sauerkraut, its very odd. Anyways not a big fan of this, not even at the low low price it is sold at. This was only a dollar cheaper than the Smokers Pride Black Cavendish and that extra buck was no savings at all. Spend the extra buck on Smokers Pride or save your pennies and buy some really good black cavendish, the Super Value product is just bad. Sorry forgot, on the upside there is no bite at all with this product, even with heavy pulls.

beebiz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beebiz (1)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Though I have not tried this blend, I feel there is something that really needs to be pointed out. In his review, Kapnismologist says, "Furthermore, the very fact that the blend proclaims itself to be comprised of ‘All Natural Tobacco' (is there such a thing as ‘artificial' tobacco and if so from what is it made?)"

In short, yes there is such a thing as "artificial" tobacco!! It is made from long, wide sheets of cigarette paper which is sprayed with "juice" that is rendered from boiled down floor sweepings, scrap tobacco, molded tobacco, stale returned cigarettes, and added chemicals. The paper is then shredded to the same size as the shredded tobacco. It is primarily used in commercially produced cigarettes. And, some pipe tobacco producers include the "all natural tobacco" statement to let the smoker know that the tobacco does not contain any of this "artificial" tobacco.

HoosierPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HoosierPuffer (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I tried this blend on a wet, thunderstormy night.

Opening the pouch, which I received as a freebie with another order, I was met with a very fresh and enticing smell. I also noticed it was quite wet.

I let it sit out for about an hour beforehand.

I packed it into my Japanese-made pipe with the usual three-stage method. It was still very wet when I packed it.

Overall I had some trouble keeping it lit, but the first third of the bowl was a very pleasant smoke. Good taste if you like the casing used - lots of smoke - not too hot (yet) - very enjoyable this stage.

The second third of the bowl changed, and the flavoring was gone. It become somewhat boring, and I had trouble keeping it lit. Nonetheless I persevered!

The bottom third of the bowl was hot and wet. The moisture could be heard sizzling as I puffed away, and it became rather ashy - I ended up dumping out some ash and relighting.

All in all an ok smoke, certainly for the price. The first third was great - the middle and end not so much.

Dry it out, pack it well, enjoy it until the casing is gone and it gets ashy.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)

The vanilla flavoring in this one is slightly milder than their vanilla cavendish. Very sticky, use a cob. It's cheap and not too bad tasting for an aro. If you can dry it out enough to light it.

It does have a positive aspect. It tends to mix well, adding a bit of vanilla flavor to your blends. Just don't go overboard with it.

BoBo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BoBo (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have just smoked a bowl of this. I think I may have another. It smelled good in the bag. I got the 12 oz. sack, But this was sticky to the touch and it didnt pack down so easily so I just let it dry.

This is exceptionally good when you let it dry or you'll get a somewhat bitter taste. I recommend this to the beginners and all who will have the patience to let this dry.

Much Clown Love, BoBo

Crow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crow (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Like DK, I received a pouch of this tobacco for free when I ordered some other blends. After giving it a 3 bowl try, I have few good things to say about it.

On the positive side, the blend is true to the label's claim of being bite free, which is surprising for how much casing must be on the leaves. Further, I don't really get the chemical taste from it that others have mentioned, but there is a strong sour feel to the taste, which is itself quite mild. The blend smells great in the pouch, and the room note is fine, but if I weren't getting this for free, I'd never pack another bowl of it.

As things stand now, I'll probably smoke it until the sample pouch is gone and be done with it. 2 out of 4 stars.

UPDATE While I still think it's better than smoking dirt and oak leaves, this blend leaves just about everything to be desired. I'm lowering my rating down to 1 out of 4 stars.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

Since I'm on a drug store kick at the moment I thought I'd give this a try. When you open the pouch the smell is quite pleasant. When you take a pinch out you instantly find it's very sticky. You could take a handful of this stuff and toss it against a wall and it would stick there for the next six years. Taste wise it isn't too bad. I've had better of course but I've also had much worse. The wife was quite pleased with the room note and I even got her to try a few puffs herself.

As always if you are trying something new then smoke it in a cob first and only buy a pouch, not a bulk bag. This stuff is pleasant enough to keep a small amount of laying around but it's not an every day smoke. It's slightly better if you let it dry out a bit first.

I received a free pouch sample with a tobacco order I recently placed. A fairly sticky black cavendish, but typical of the same. It packed well despite this and I had no trouble keeping it lit after a char and 2 lights. First let me say that the pouch aroma is top notch and this did translate into the taste while smoking. I could not detect any chemical taste/after taste which was a good thing. It had an undercurrent of a spicy vanilla - more spicey than typical vanilla - which was different from most vanilla blends I have smoked. It did gurgle a bit more than I am used to, but I half expected that since it was so heavily cased and sticky. Surprisingly, there was very little in the way of bite considering how heavily cased and moist it was. All in all, it wasn't a bad smoke. Not very much in the way of a true tobacco taste, but satisfying none the less as a light, change of pace smoke. This is the type of tobacco you can comfortably smoke in mixed company without getting stared at by the majority for smoking. You will be complemented on the very pleasant room note. Excellent for beginners, but for those who have gone on to explore the tobacco hobby with more elegant, fuller tasting blends, this will fail to satisfy for the long haul. A nice change of pace for me - nothing more and nothing less. 3 stars.

UPDATE 6-14-13: I just received a 6 pack of the new Capt Black Dark and would have to say that it is far superior to DC Bl Cav in smokeability, flavor, the lack of chemical presence, and is more user friendly. For those Black Cavendish lovers out there, try some Dark - I think you will like it. As a result, this dream loses a star.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)

I use this simply to blend. Mix 2 parts Black Cavendish to 1 part Golden Cavendish. After mix marrys, I mix 4 parts with 1 part Blenders Gold Rich Vanilla. Very pleasant smoke. Many comment on pleasant aroma.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I'm basing this review upon my experience with several black cavendish tobaccos. This blend is cheap, lightly cased low end burley at a discount. It packs and burns just fine but there is very little flavor. Not a bad smoke, just not a great one. If I were to point anyone to a black cavendish, I would point them towards Lane's BCA as it is a far better smoke for not much more money.

Greenleaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greenleaf (7)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

If Half & Half had been my first pipe tobacco, I would've ran screaming and thrown my Dr. Grabow into the nearest gutter. Fortunately, this black cavendish introduced me to the world of pipe smoking. It was the strong aroma eminating from the plastic bag and the $9 price tag that made this blend the best option from my local supermarket.

Very easy to pack and light, and a satisfying smoke. The fourth quarter of a bowl can take a turn for the worst if you are prone to overly-rapid puffing. As the tobacco is well cased, a muddy heel is to be expected.

The flavor is not bastardized with vanilla, and through the casing a taste of smooth tobacco is clear. Although strong, it doesn't easily cause tongue-bite. At times the flavor does have a suggestion of fruitiness. A room note so pleasing that the smoker is guaranteed to have complete strangers striking up pleasant "like my grandfather" conversations behind his back.

Tasty, convenient and very affordable. If you like aromatics and aren't too big of a snob to buy something named "Super Value," then give this a try.

This was my first tobacco, smoked from a broke down Dr. Grabow no less. Kindly disregard this review and note that Super Value black cav is cheap, muddy and an invitation to tongue bite. I only pray that I live long enough to live this down.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong

Being a brand new tobacco smoker I felt obligated to add this review as my first smoke, and to contribute something after learning quite a bit from everyone here. I am now anxiously awaiting a shipment of Rattrays and Esoterica, but wanted to first try smoking, and practice lighting/packing with a less expensive brand.

I found this packaged under the blend name of Vintage - perhaps "value" has been dropped? Out of all the locally available tobaccos this one was a blend that I dared (considering Borkum Riff, Whisky is normally what I find around here). I haven't tried any other "drug store" brand but am fairly sure I won't like the traditional Captain Black's and Riff's blends(too "candy" for my tastes).

I found this Black Cavendish above all to have a great aroma upon opening the bag. Very sweet and inviting but not cloying. Upon burning it I found that it also carries a very nice, airy note and doesn't keep the place smelling like a perfume shop. It has just enough flavor in the casing to give it a bit of sweetness but not so much that I feel like I'm smoking a bad chocolate bar. No bite, which was a pleasant surprise, even at the bottom of the bowl.

I did notice that even after drying/rubbing it did not burn very well. At first I thought this was my inexperience packing but after quite a few bowls (all in the name of progress of course) I am fairly convinced that it is the tobacco itself (or perhaps just my cheap pipe) that is preventing it from burning for more than a couple of minutes at a shot.

I am sure once I move on to the more organic and less "doctored" tobaccos I will develop a taste for them. But I will possibly keep a bag on hand for the occasional quick, cheap smoke or should any of my acquaintances wish to give the pipe a shot.

UPDATE: After 2 months of tobacco exploration this stuff got the axe. And so my rating of it dropped. So much for retaining my tobacco innocence. The remaining half of bag, last time I saw it, was still sticky wet to the touch and impossible to keep lit. Still not bad for the value and being drug store brand, but the chemicals became more predominant with age and the difficulty in smoking it made it only a suitable air freshener. The pipe with which I began smoking is now gone too. I couldn't purge the chemical scent from it no matter how many cleansers went through it.