None provided.

3.1
Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Vanilla Black Cavendish - yes, there you have it.

This is a classic combination that seems to always work, though this is by far the best I have ever tried. First off, it is now one of my regulars,, an instant personal favorite of mine.

McClelland has solved two of the conundrums of the "cased cavendish" genre with this blend - it doesn't smoke wet or hot like many others do. Also, it is no harder to keep lit than any of my other "premium" blends and burns continuously if puffed steadily. I do let my pipe go out on purpose during the smoke, no matter the blend, so re-lights are not an issue for me.

There is tobacco taste here, though folks used to the likes of Nightcap will likely not have the taste bud sensitivity to detect it. The vanilla is strong, as it was meant to be, but very pleasant.

I get the most flavor from this blend in a churchwarden, though this is my favorite style pipe for all my blends.

The character of this blend matures mid-bowl and seems to reach its full richness and tobacco taste from there on, the vanilla really coming into its own, working WITH the cavendish for a satisfying finish.

"Vanilla Black Cavendish" - yes that is its name - not "Ultra-spice Perique"

It's Vanilla,,

It's Black,,

And it's Cavendish,,,,,,

And it's a good one, enjoy it for what it is.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (38)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Plain old Vanilla Cav. I don't think there is a pipester that hasn't tried a straight Van/Cav at some point or another. I prefer to use this as a flavoring agent for other blends, that frankly, have an unpleasent taste to me (any recent tobacco from "Dunghill" for example). When mixed with a blend with a large Latakia content, it makes for a very unique flavor treat. Smoky campfire, toasted marshmallows MMMMM!

This is solid Vanilla Cav. and is up there with the best of that particular animal. Burns fairly clean, can't bite and has a great smell that won't quit. Better or as good as C&D Green River Vanilla and much superior to Lane LTD's bulk version.

Other uses...if you have a sour old vintage briar or meer that you just can't get turned around no matter how much hot alcohol and salt you use on it, just smoke a couple dozen bowls of this through it. Also effective for smoking at places where smoking is VERBOTEN. No one is going to recognize this as having any sort of tobacco odor.

Funny anecdote. Hunter S. Thompson would mix hashish with heavy vanilla cav and smoke it in public.

(DISCLAIMER I do not advocate the mixing of hashish with Vanilla Cavendish tobacco nor do I recommend or advocate anything that Hunter S. Thompson may have done in his lifetime except writting books and making millions of dollars)

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The tobacco taste is negligible, but that's by design. The rich, creamy vanilla is why you want to smoke it. There is a another topping in here, which is sort of like butterscotch and/or caramel. I go back and forth on that enough to think maybe both flavors are present. Has almost no nicotine. No chance of bite. Burns fairly well with a consistent taste, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Needs an average number of relights. Makes a good mixer, too, and has a pleasant after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10

After Taste = 10

Raw Score = 60

Rated Percentage = 100%

Comment = WOW this McClelland VBC is fabulous, Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow and has a wonderful Vanilla Tasting Flavor. This blend is way better than Lane Limited BCA. If you like vanilla tobacco than this is perhaps the best you will ever smoke. It is very rare that I give a blend a 100% Rating Score

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I ordered several pounds of this through Knox Cigar and used to smoke this exclusively a couple of years ago. It is moist and some people don?t like that however in the case of this tobacco it makes you just want to eat it right out of the bag it comes in. I love vanilla and this is full of it. It burns very nicely and the room note is super. My wife really used to go on and on about the smell and practically begged me to smoke this stuff. I even got several compliments in public from complete strangers when I was smoking this. For a black Cavendish this is a five star. I?ve moved on in recent years to more tobacco flavor and away from the candy however I not so sure I won?t end up with more of this one day.

samwell711r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samwell711r (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I have always been an unabashed lover of rich aromatics. I stray to other types of tobaccos to keep my hand in so to speak, but always return, searching, for that one perfect blend for me. For the past several years like Diogenes carrying his lamp looking for an honest man, I have carried my diamond head matches, looking for that "perfect" tobacco. So many aromatics, so many pouches of pedestrian, unsatisfying stuff. I wanted something that actually tasted as good as it smelled. Shortcut to Mushrooms certainly made that cut. Wicked good stuff that. But I finally, finally found a tobacco that was right in my wheelhouse McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish. Smells great,and wonder of wonders tastes just like it smells. It's a rich creamy satisfying smoke from the initial light, to the end. It's slightly moist in the pouch, but I'm a man who prefers it that way. Haven't had problems keeping it lit. Usually not more than one or two relights in a 45 minute smoke, which is probably the result in how I pack it rather than the tobacco itself. There is no fall off in the favor during the entirety of the smoke although I can detect different stages of flavor throughout. Never turns bitter. Sometimes it smokes a little damp, but I've never had pipe gurgle with this one, and the dottle while not always burned to ash, has never been goopy or nasty. I've tried it in several pipes at differnt times of the day in differnt environments. There have been some tobaccos that tasted good once or twice then tasted like bland dreck forever after. McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish has never dissapointed. Its way better in my opinion than BCA. Now you have to actually like aromatics, and not just because people think it smells good. I can see why some folks think it's a good blender, but as for me, I like it straight, baby. Smooth & tasty, rich vanilla and something like hot buttered rum or butterscotch Whatever it is, they done it right. When I die I want my ashes mixed with this tobacco and placed near my favorite pipe before they jar me up. Good luck and Good smoking.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This blend can be found at pipe shops all over the country and may come with a different name. My local shop calls it "Early Darkness." It is a highly popular blend with a lot of my fellow local pipe club members. Lots of Vanilla flavoring processed in a manner that gives the smoker all the Vanilla they could possibly want with absolutely no bite no matter how hard you puff.

Pipestud

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This has to be the best vanilla cavendish in existence. It has a hint of buttery rum in there too by my taste.

My regular website sent me a sample, I think they just sold a pound, or two. This stuff is only 20 bucks a pound too.

Good decent quality ingredients make this a winner. Definitley an all day smoke candidate for me. I normally smoke straight va's. This is good enough I will smoke it some days to mix things up. It smoked dry and cool for me straight out of the bag with the smallest dottle I've ever had from a black cav- and it was raining when I smoked it. Not my usual experience- I usually have to dry anything else I smoke, not this. I put it in a mason jar to keep it fresh.

The pouch aroma made me say wow! This smells so good. If you like this type of tobacco you will enjoy this a lot. It lights/burns well and very non goopy for this type of tobacco.

A dessert tobacco for the smoke it instead of eat it crowd.

Good in a shallow bowl.

I highly reccomend you try some, The taste is so, so good. This is the height of black vanilla cavendish I believe.

You can not make this bite, Great for beginers or seasoned smokers. Great for when you need a break from strong tobacco's

I think max is right, this would make a superb blender.

Also a lot more people would "get" pipe smoking if they made this their first smoke. If you can't handle this then pipe smoking is not for you.

A few relghts required but it tastes so good I don't care.

Update: great cavendish but honestly I rarely ever smoke it. I am all about balkans these days.

Choctaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Choctaw (7)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Just about every good thing that might be said about this tobacco has already been said multiple times. I agree hearily with all of them. I am a rather dedicated aromatic smoker aside from the occasional bowl of Blackhouse or Three Oaks Syrian. Recently, I decided to stop buying tinned toobacco as a matter of course and select five good aros for a regular rotation. I'm not wealthy, I smoke a lot and it just makes sense to buy bulk. When I sat down to write-up my list this one took the No. 1 slot. Why? Because it is a simple, straightforward smoke that tastes great, smells great, burns well. Its a great tobacco. I hope you find time to enjoy it. Cheers!

Pipe Used: Peterson, Chacom, GBD, Jeantet & Others

Age When Smoked: Fresh Bulk

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: Somewhat similar to Lane 1-Q and several other good vanilla aros..

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This blend is what i thought House of Windsor's Argosy Black and Classic Cavendish would be. This is an Aromatic smoker's holy grail. Good tobacco is used to make the cavendish (it is a Mclelland) and it tastes like toasted marshmellows and Butterscotch mixed in a German Chocolate Cake as mentioned above. I liked this blend alot and i bought a half pound from Knox Cigar, opening the bulk bag is like walking into a Bakery! Burns nicely without too much goo but also blends nicely with just about everything.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

McClelland - Vanilla Black Cavendish.

A MUST for vanilla fans!

It's a very coarse blend, with a MAMOUTH smell of vanilla! Slightly sticky feeling, but still smokeable fresh.

I like vanilla aromatics, and this is one of the best I've had: the smoke from it's cool, thick, and quite sticky, with a cracking vanilla flavour. Although the vanilla EASILY leads the taste there's also an extra sweetness present; from another addition maybe, sugar, honey, or caramel? The burn's exceedingly steady, requiring little maintenance.

The nicotine: mild. The room-note: brilliant.

Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: 4noggins

Philbert69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philbert69 (3)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Super sweet and tasty... will diminish towards bottom of bowl. But, 1st light until mid bowl it is sweet and tangy, especially when you get the temp just right. Smoke it real slow and cool and the taste is subtle and sweet. But push the temp up just a tad and you get a tangy sweetness that is sublime! It's a fine line though, because it will start to get moist in the bottom of the bowl with too much heat. Pack it real loose and use the biggest bowl you have to maximize flavor and guard against gurgle. My Rossi Lucca 8803 EX Lumberman is the biggest I have and gives me the best experience with McClelland aromatics.

Pipe Used: Rossi Lucca 8803 EX Lumberman

Purchased From: Pipe and Cigars

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Mild Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This is very good Stuff. One of the best Vanilla Tobaccos. For me, it have not only Vanilla, but many notes of Black Chocolate also. very sweet, very slow burning, low Nicotine ammout. will be apreciated by the Expert, but also is suitable for the begginer. An aromatic of the stylle that i like: Rich flavour and taste, but with low Nicotine ammount. Remarkable. Destiny to be one of my favorites.

Pipe Used: some, brazilian and imported.

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: a friend

This started off nice enough with a mild dark roasted coffee-like and vanilla flavor, a little milder than I like, but about half way a musty, stale flavor started creeping in. By the 3/4 mark it had taken over and I had to quit it. Don't know what the deal is with that, but it puts me completely off this tobacco. No thanks.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave

Age When Smoked: fresh??? bulk

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A pleasant surprise! I wasn't expecting this to be great, but wanted something to blend with as a sweetener. I does well mixed with Lane 1Q!!! I smoked three bowls of it by itself and was pleasantly surprised at how great it was on it's own. Great vanilla flavor with a deep rich smoke. It will bite if it's smoked too hot. Smoke slow to get the full rich flavor!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Sandblast

Age When Smoked: 1 month

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Being not too big of a fan of straight Cavendish blends, This was kind of set to fail. So just my opinions, the taste was awful, and it did burn quite a bit. You can counteract this just by smoking slower, but just kind of ruins the point of such a light tobacco.

For the good parts. It does smell pretty good. Yeah.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Cob

Age When Smoked: 3 or so years

Purchased From: Local Shop (Smokedale WI)

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (34)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I bought a 10g sample of this one, and tried it out immediately after receiving it. Smell out of the baggie is very strong. Like a vanilla liqueur. The tobacco seems heavy and really coated with a casing. Might have been a little moist to start with.

It's an OK smoke. Not really anything special, but not really anything too negative about it either. Worth a try if you want a vanilla aromatic.

I'd probably limit myself to buying samples if I'm in the mood for it.

Room note is OK as well.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bjarne Nielsen, Petersen Rustic

Age When Smoked: smoked immediately after purchasing

Purchased From: http://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/en/

Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I really don't know how to rate this tobacco since it all depends on how you look at it. By itself it is very bland and lacks the fuller flavors of other Black Cav favorites like Argosy and BCA. As a blender however, it knocks the socks off the others. This stuff will blend with most any tobacco, and add a subtle Cav. flavor that won't overwhelm the rest of the blend. Good stuff when used correctly.

Singularis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Singularis (6)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

McClelland has closed shop, and with it goes this wonderful blend. OK, I know they aren't known for basic aromatic staples like this, but I can see why McClelland was so loved, and will be so missed! This one hits all the high notes for a black cavendish, with a lovely buttery vanilla, but also notes of coconut and maple (I can this going well with an Imperial Porter). It burns very well, but not hot. Perhaps due to the unique rough cut and very mild moisture of tobacco? The room note is of course first rate, but not cloying. If I could buy this again by the pound, I would. From now on, I guess I'll have to settle for Peter Stokkebye BC or Lane's BCA.

You'll be missed, McClelland!

Pipe Used: Amadeus Bent Billiard

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Vanilla Black Cavendish is black cavendish flavored with vanilla (clever I know). The tobacco is kinda on the moist side so for easier lighting let it dry for a few minutes. Packs easy enough. You a get a slight natural sweetness from the cavendish with a hint of vanilla. Is it better than much cheaper drug store brands? No not really. If you want a bulk vanilla flavored tobacco go with Super Value, Admiral's Choice, or Smoker's Pride. Recommended only if your too prideful to smoke the previously mentioned brands.

Pipe Used: Briars

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Super Value Vanilla, Admiral's Choice Vanilla, Smokers Pride Black Cavendish, Smoker's Pride Vanilla.

Giovanni Palomino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Giovanni Palomino (21)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my second favorite tobacco in the pouch aroma is excellent, a very intense vanilla; the ignition temperature is not too hot what helps you watch your tongue and the taste of vanilla feels and perceives the time smoking what in my particular case I love being non smoker doesn't interest me much the taste of tobacco and nicotine hit and rather perfumer and Wolverine what attracted me to this art of smoking pipe is more the subject of the smells and the tastes and this blend of supplements my expectations since the aroma in the room is very nice leaving it until the next smoke-scented. This will be a tobacco that is always in my rotation of tobacco still waiting for my other three favorite blends.

Toby67 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toby67 (9)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I ordered this as a sampler and received a very dry blend, I will update this review after adding a humidifier stone to the tin I put it in so I can try this blend at the moisture level at which I feel it should have arrived at.

As a dry tobacco it smokes hot, the fullness of flavour doesn't come through nor does the sweetness normally associated with black cavendish tobacco. It's a very one dimensional smoke that is bland, in fact I emptied my bowl half way through. Normally I would think it deserves 3 stars but cannot give it any more than 1 as a dried out tobacco.

EDIT: After moistening this tobacco with a pouch stone I tried this blend once again. To the point I loved it, nice taste of Vanilla, nice taste of B. Cav. A typical Vanilla Cavendish that won't dissapoint, very smooth smoke for the Aro lovers. This time it gets the 3 stars I think it deserves. Also mixes very nice with Stanwell Melange.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: 1st- As received. 2nd- 1 month

Purchased From: Tobaccoblends.com.au

Hanzy4200 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hanzy4200 (12)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A great Cavendish. For those complaining of "sour" or "off" tastes, you need to start blending. I rarely smoke pure Cavendish, though there are some who do regularly. To be honest, the difference between most of the common bulk vanilla Cavendish tobaccos is marginal. This one does have a leg up over the others, in my opinion. My favorite use is blending it 1 to 3 with Lane 1Q. A excellent bargain aromatic, can't beat it for the price.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentlemen

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

VBC is a really mild, sweet, and pleasant smoke. Easy on the palate and an excellent choice for the beginner. A good option for anyone who wants to enjoy a sweet aromatic smoke. I like Lanes BCA a little bit better, but many like this more than BCA. Either way you can't go wrong.

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (46)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I don't now, nor ever will buy tobacco based on room note alone...That being said, this is a pleasant--not great--not wonderful smoking tobacco...It is what it is...An all day, pay no mind vanilla black Cavendish...Kind of heavy on the vanilla...Would not buy again.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

after hearing about this being the top of black Cavendish blends, I had to try it (since I am an aromatic/BC smoker for the most part). it is a good smoke but not superior to the lane bca (or smokers pride black Cavendish for that matter) although they run in the same vein, they are different in taste. this one is more buttery in taste and the vanilla is less pronounced in taste. it is less humid although heavily cased. it takes the fire very well and leave minimal dry dottles. the room note is pleasing and the after taste is appealing. mild all day smoke for aromatics and black Cavendish lovers.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

...While not a Black Cavendish smoker for the most part, I decided to assess 10 different Black Cavendish tobaccos... the last time I smoked a BC tobacco was in 1978.

Overall, this is a very good tobacco...not as "goopy" overly sweet, or the heavy casings/toppings you normally see. Burn characteristics are quite good and the taste and aroma are first rate.

Of the 10 tobaccos I've tried, this would rank in the top 3. A bit more smoking over the next few weeks and I will update this review.

If you're a BC fan...this is a great one to consider. All my testing has been in a group 4-5 size pipe.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (17)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

The aroma is wonderful. That's about it. I purchased a lot of this blend after reading the reviews here, and this is not one of the best aromatics I have smoked. It is prone to a very foul and sour moisture quite easily. It tastes incredibly bland, sometimes even sour. It is great if you can tolerate these shortcomings, as it does have a very pleasant aroma. Overall though, I wouldn't purchase more of this blend. There are plenty better and more balanced aromatics out there.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I bought a sample of this tobacco and let me say, I am going to buy a pound. This blend smells so good in the pouch, I mean REALLY good. I expected a very hard/harsh smoke because of the great smell, I was pleasantly surprised by mild smoke. The flavors of this tobacco are not nearly as strong as you would think by the odor of the unsmoked tobacco. I have smoked it in a cob, with a filter, without a filter and in my briars, this is good stuff. I would PREFER a bit more sweetness but think I can add a touch of something to fix it up for my tastes. I plan on carrying this tobacco with me wherever I go, there is no way a non smoker is gonna complain when they smell this tobacco in the pouch. Keep away from children, it really smells good enough to eat! Really recommend this blend to fellow novice pipe smokers, very good stuff!

kidwithgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kidwithgun (10)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

this is the best aromatic i've had so far. smells incredible, lights well and stays lit. tastes good and much better than most vanillas i've tried. one day i may end up blending this with a burley or something with a little more strength. but i'll keep purchasing it and enjoying it as is. highly recommended aromatic.

sportspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sportspipe (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A good bulk aromatic. Very wet out of the pouch/bag. however, I laid mine out on a baking sheet on top of some wax paper and stuck it outside for a few hours in the open air to dry out and then popped it back in a glass jar to relax.

I'd say with a little TLC you shouldn't have a problem with lighting, smoking and bitting issues.

Postie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Postie (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

When I first received this, the smell from the first opening of the bag was so powerful and repulsive, it made me gag. I almost threw it out, but with not having a decent tobacco shop near my home, this was a mail order, and I thought about just setting it aside as a blending ingredient, or trading for another tobacco with a pipe smoking friend. I decided to try letting it sit out on a flat baking pan, covered with cheese cloth and letting it sit out in the warm summer air. Eight hours later, it was a delightfully rich smelling result, vanilla, figs and raisins was what I got from the pouch. The smoke was light and mild and I was complimented several times by passers by (I sit on my front porch to smoke) about the aroma. It's a good tobacco for a beginner, not a lot of real depth, but still a good one to keep on hand.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Seriously wet sweet stuff. Went straight through it. If you like cased tobacco, then this is the stuff.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm really not much on black cavendish tobacco. I usually will not purchase a blend if it has too high of a percentage of the black stuff. I bought this strictly as a blending tobacco to tame some of the harsh or too strong blends I have on hand.I was pleasantly surprised by VBC. I haven't tried Lane's version but I can't imagine it being any better than this. Yeah it's sweet and heavy on the vanilla but not cloying and there is some hint of tobacco taste. It burns cool,doesn't bite or get goopy.I never would of expected it but I do occasionally smoke a bowl of this straight. It's a bit much to take on a regular basis but when I get the old sweet tooth going this works fine.

As a blending component to tame some overly spicy Virginias or a Va/Per that may have too much Perique for your tastes this works wonders. I now have reclaimed a lot of blends that I wasn't enjoying. It doesn't turn them into super blends but it makes them enjoyable enough to polish off the ignored offending blends.

Smoked straight it rates 2 1/2 stars. As a blending component I give it 3 1/2 stars.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)
Very Mild Very Strong Very Mild Pleasant

I ordered a few ounces of this based on the recommendations here. I love vanilla and am always looking for a new one to try. When I opened the bag, this about knocked me on my ass. It smells like candy in the pouch. Sadly, this aroma does not translate off the match. It is not bad, just so very mild that the vanilla does not come through on the room note or taste. This is very pleasant smoke. Nothing offensive about it at all. It burns very clean for such a very dark cavendish. I agree this would be a great blending ingredient with say, a good, rich burley. I don't think I would buy much of this to smoke just on its own. But if you like aromatics and want to know what "just" vanilla is like, this is a good choice.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A decent black Cavendish blend. You must of course love vanilla. This is a perfect blend for the "smoke instead of eat dessert" crowd. Not as goopy as some.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Black Vanilla which it also goes by is a very good (automatic) tobacco. I thought that it had a good taste as well as a very nice roomnote. Great for an after dinner smoke, or before bedtime. Highly recommended smoke! MZMN 12-22-04

Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I agree with the "good blender" comments. Very bland flavor by itself. Smells great though. A bit on the wet side. Coarser cut than most helps it burn better than most Aromatics. Three stars only in the American Aromatics catagory.