This is a twist made from the same ingredients as the Black and Brown Irish X. It has additional Rum flavoring added during manufacture. Again, this is a very strong tobacco as it does not undergo the pressure cooking process.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringRum
CutRope
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
Tolerable to Strong

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

I was very interested in trying this tobacco. It seemed so historic in the way it was processed, etc. Well, sometimes progress is a good thing.

Trimming the rope and rubbing-out the tobacco was easy. Packing was easy. Lighting was not bad.

The flavor, however, was too strong and one-dimensional. No spice, no VA sweetness, a hint of rum-casing. It sort of reminded me of a so-so Maduro cigar. Or for those of you who have smoked the inexpensive dry-cure cigars (Toscano, Pedroni, etc.), similar to that. It has its place, but not in my pipe.

The smell was fairly strong too. Definately more like a cigar and not like a pipe.

Really big nicotine hit. Downright unpleasant. And I'm a guy who can chew tobacco.

So while I was happy to try this, it does not work for me. You should still try it for kicks. You might like it.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Overwhelming Mild Extra Full Extra Strong

GH Brown Twist with a touch of Rum. Not to be confused with GH Rum Flake, which is a sweet, fragrant and tasty blend. The rum here is hardly noticeable because the tobacco is so strong and harsh. There is very little tobacco or aromatic flavor here.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I think that it’s only fitting that my 50th review should be one of my preferred tobacco styles--ropes (and twists), especially those by G&H. These tobaccos represent a level of straight-ahead power and strength and real tobacco flavor that make them nearly unmatched. 3-stars+.

I want to clear-up what may be considered a misconception about the ropes and twists. STRONG does not mean HOT and HARSH!! In fact, these tobaccos are quite COOL smoking and relatively CIVILIZED--they're just STRONG!! They're also pretty easy to smoke, but they must be smoked slowly! At times the taste reminds me of a full-bodied cigar, but these tobaccos, while not overly complex, are not so monochromatic and earthy as a cigar.

The flavor is quite rewarding—it’s a dark and heavy and rich and thick tobacco taste with just a hint of sweetness. I fully recognize that I may be describing qualities of the smoke more than how it tastes, but sometimes it's difficult to put a particular flavor into words.

Although my personal preference is for Rum Twist (Whisky and Maple Twists too), the only “major” difference in the ropes and twists is the incorporation (or not) of particular flavor agents and some additional processing. The ropes & twists are hardly what I can classify as particularly sophisticated, but they are brutally straight-forward and honest—and I sometimes appreciate that!

NOTE: Personally, I prefer the ropes to be more on the DRY side (not quite crumbly)--similar to the moisture content in a dry-cured cigar. They are much easier to smoke and there's more flavor when they are drier, but when dry they burn a little quicker and, thus, display even more power.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I had long wanted to try G&H's famous ropes and was afforded a generous sample by a fellow smoker. I really enjoyed slicing coins off of the rope and rubbing out the coins completely. I attempted to smoke this without completely drying it out in the microwave without any enjoyment. When moist, it is very rough on the palate and refuses to burn. When completely dried out it is much more pleasant.

The smoke is cool and is medium bodied. The flavor alternates between that of a good cigar, spicy Virginia flavor, and the sweet rum casing. It is pleasant on the tongue and rather enjoyable with a cup of coffee. The nicotine strength doesn't bother me, but I find it to be best enjoyed in a small bowl. You will definitely get a nicotine fix from this tobacco.

The drawback to this blend is its burning qualities. The problem is that it doesn't burn at all. I can't get it to stay lit for longer than five minutes no matter what I try. As with every blend that I've had this trouble, I find it to be a great hindrance. Particularly since the flavor upon a relight is that of a cigar that has been smoked too close to its cap.

I plan on trying to use this rubbed out to add some strength to the milder VA's which I have become accustomed to. While I enjoy its flavor, I do not care to relight my pipe every five minutes. If you enjoy the stronger Gawith type blends, this is well worth a try. However, I find that this is one of those tobaccos that was fine to give a ride and see how it went, but I don't see myself purchasing in the future.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Firstly, a brief disquisition on the various types of twists and ropes. I know this has been done elsewhere by others, but it probably bears repeating as guidance for those who are just discovering these tobaccos.

In the parlance of GH&Co, rope tobaccos fall into three categories. Firstly there are the Irish Twists, which are available in both black and brown, with various aromatic options. These are somewhat less than 1 inch in diameter. Next we have the Bogies. Again, these come in a range of different options but are differentiated from the Irish Twists by their diameter, which is less - maybe between one half and three quarters of an inch. Thus, although the same tobaccos are used, I find there is a subtle yet noticeable difference in flavour between, say, GH&Co Brown Irish Twist and GH&Co Brown Bogie. This is because the difference in diameter means a difference in the ratio between 'wrapper' and 'filler', just like in the cigar world. Finally, there are the pigtails. These are the thinnest of all and are primarily meant for chewing. Apparently you can smoke them too, but I've never tried.

So, that covers the GH&Co side of things. As far as SG is concerned, SG Brown Rope is the same size as GH&Co Irish Twist, and their Black XX is more akin to a GH&Co Bogie. SG also make pigtails, and again, I've never tried them. Clear? Good.

So, with all that out of the way I should point out that the Sweet Rum Twist that I have in front of me is actually a Bogie.

Have you smoked Rum Flake? Have you smoked Brown Bogie? If you answered 'yes' to both those questions then you already know exactly what this tobacco tastes like.

Personally, Brown Irish Twist is my favourite brown variety of rope, whilst Black XX is my favourite black variety. Nevertheless, I find this blend makes a nice diversion, and the flavouring works well enough.

It's not going to replace the Brown Irish as my staple rope, but it's a good blend and one I shall almost certainly buy again. I think I probably even prefer it to the plain Brown Bogie. Recommended.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm a big fan of the twists and ropes put out by both of the Gawiths. Rum Twist is a favorite among a slew of favorites. It combines the robust qualities of this style of tobacco product—loads of dark flavors, abundant nicotine, cigarish overtones—with a very light rum topping. This stuff never fails to satisfy.

It's worth pointing out that if you're looking for a rum-topped aromatic, this is probably not a stellar choice. It is first and foremost a big, brawny twist and calling it “Sweet” probably amuses the heck out of the blenders at G&H. The rum is almost incidental and the flavor rarely makes it past the half-bowl point for me. I've been known to sprinkle in a little rum-flavored bulk tobacco on occasion both to lighten the twist and up the aromatic content.

The only potential negative I can think of to Rum Twist is the challenges it presents in getting it ready to smoke. A sharp knife is essential, as is ample drying time. I like to dry my twists to point of crispy because I find that if they're not sufficiently dry, they provide steamy, bitter smokes.

Yummy stuff.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Nice tight brown "rope" with a nice subtly sweet aroma. I use an Inuit Ulu to slice coins. They rub out beautiful and are dry enough to smoke immediately. The smoke is smooth considering it is a wee bit on the bold side. Sipping and nose exhaling brings the flavors together. There is a minute Burn/tingle on the nose if exhaled nasaly. This can give niccups if smoked too aggressively.

Cutting coins from a twisted rope is yet another means of enjoying tobacco.....it's a nice change from the norm.

Worth a try.

Pipe Used: Several Pete's

Age When Smoked: New - jarred 3 months

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (34)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Medium Very Strong

My first smoke blew me away. I was not expecting the Maduro like flavor. I was expecting a little more rum and sweet/acidic Va feel. Wrong...it was the strong I was looking for. I thought Latakia was what I was looking for, after a few smokes, I was entranced by its qualities. I would say it's not just strong but bold. The vitamin N kick is great, it's smooth yet in your face. I can barely detect the rum unfortunately, it is extremely subtle. It was real fun to cut it into little coins. However, drying is a necessity and a sharp knife is a must. I first did it right out of the bag with a semi-sharp knife. To say the least, I made a mess. All in all, it's really a neat baccy. I recommend to the adventurous type.

Pipe Used: MM Emperor

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Very Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Quite new to twists ! A nice appearance to the twist itself and a good rum note to it pre light . Mine was a little too moist and could use a bit of extra drying time ! The smoke is of a good strength for me but is still on the stronger side and contains a big Nicotine hit . Due to it being a little too moist it takes a fair amount of time to get lit . Personally I find the Rum flavour "not enough" and it could use some more . Not overly impressed with it but to be fair to it I don't normally smoke twists so it may be lack of experience !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength, Full Body Tobacco Flavor, has a slight After Taste, White Ash Burn.

If you are one who likes to “play” with your tobacco, by all means get this “Twist” form of tobacco, you can spend countless hours “Slicing, Dicing and Drying” this “Twist” tobacco before it is ready to smoke. I admit I am a lazy pipe smoker so I didn't find this necessary extra preparation exercise to be of any value to heighten my pipe smoking enjoyment. You had better have a sizable ignition source on hand because you are going to need a lot of BTU's to get this “Twist” tobacco to light. Once you achieve the first ignition you will need to have your best “Tamping Tool” at the ready to handle the endless re-packings and re-lights that this “Twist” form of tobacco requires. Perhaps you have detected that the “Twist” form of tobacco is not my “cup of tea”.

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yet another Fine twist from G/H, always in my rotation, FANTASTIC,& 4++++ from me.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This stuff works much better as a chew, natural tobacco sweetness and some from the rum too.

Preparation was easy, cut some dimes with the cigar cutter, squeeze to open them up a bit, dry, pack, then light.

In the pipe it tastes like a $4 Nicaraguan maduro cigar. It burns cool and combusts all the way down.

Very one dimensional, mostly deeper tones.

The nicotine was not over the top, but there. I'll be using the rest of this for my blends, on its own too flat for my palate.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Very Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I have really enjoyed this one so far, I picked some up in England and I've really enjoyed cutting it and experimenting with drying it for different amounts of time before smoking as well as DGT. This is a fun blend, a very pure tobacco taste with a bold nicotine hit and a dowse of rum. I feel like this is one that pirates may have smoked back in the day, I could see a salty dog biting off a piece to chew on deck and then chopping of a chunk and loading up his pipe after dinner! Very fun, not for the faint of heart!

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable

It seems a shame that two guys with good reputations reviewed this 7 - 8 years ago and didn't like it...everybody else does. It's all a matter of what you like to smoke, not that this one or that one is a 'bad' smoke...it's just not what they like. Well, this is what I like. It's one of the blends that I've found that make smoking a pipe worthwhile...a grail kind of experience...a tobacco epiphany, if you will. Sure, English blends by good companies are worthwhile, Balkans can be a lovely experience, many Burley blends are close to the mark with some being dead on excellent...but these Gawith blends, the strong brown twisty ones...are to me precisely the very best stuff out there.

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

It is probably not going to win friends with the room note and those who have likened it to a Parodi are not far off. I love this twist. Strong enough for sure with a hint of sweetness and no taste of rum to speak of. First smoke with strong coffee in the AM or late night with a hearty bourbon, rye or scotch is very enjoyable for me. Nicotine is there for sure but that doesn't seem to be over powering. N does not concern me one way or the other, it does not seem to be why I smoke a pipe which is all I smoke except for an occassional cigar. This is a favorite garage smoke while working on my motorcycles, not an indoor smoke for me. It ain't Rum and Maple but it may broaden your horizons or cause you to quit the pipe.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here is an attractive twist with a sweet tobacco aroma. Cool & dry burning. loosewatches nailed it..."dark sweet spicey smokey tobacco-flavory flavor." No frills. No exotic notes here. The rum adds maybe a quarter of a notch up the sweetness scale compared to an uncased brown twist, it tames or rounds out the flavor of the VA, but don't expect a syrupy aromatic. I taste the rum only at first light, but after that it is thoroughgoing tobacco with a sweet highlight all the way down. Most of the popular tinned straight VA flakes are like sandpaper on my throat. SRT delivers an unmitigated VA flavor without leaving me raspy. This one is an honest tobacco with an abundance of nicotine to match. I don't find it harsh, but I sit down and take my time. Respect it and it will reward you.

12/26/09 update: This is a favorite. Others like the aroma so I'm giving it more credit under Room Note, and I am saying Full in Taste after several ounces of Kentucky Kendal which is no more than Very Full. Highly Recommended.

Eli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eli (1)
Strong Mild Mild Pleasant

This is an excellent tobacco which I cut in disks with the cigar- cutter, rubbing these disks into slices. If you smoke this tobacco slowly, you will enjoy not only the mildness of the exquisite blend, but also the gentle nicotine kick. The blend remains tasty and sweet until the end of your pipe. If you find the Sweet Rum Twist a little strong for your taste, it is possible to blend it with some of Burley or unsweetened Black Cavendish.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Strong Mild Full Strong

as i once said ,,nuthing can be compared so far to the strength of the black xx rope,,its a dark virginia as well by the sweetness but there is a hint of foreign rum sweetness,,unfortunatly iam not a drinker so i cn really judge but there is a mellow sweet taste goes along with each puff,,bit hard to b lit in the begining but when a glowing top is there it dosent need any further fire,,burns clean and no mositure to b suffered ,,good tobacco for a change but not the one i cnt live wthout

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Rich, heavy and flavorful...seems to be the common theme, and I can't dissagree with that. On the other hand it really just tasted like I was smoking a haevy bodied cigar out of my pipe. The Rum flavor is barely noticable but the sweetness is there. It's somewhat ritualistic laying out that rope and slicing out the little round flakes to your liking. Definatly something to be experianced. Although you could bite the end off of a Padron and light it up for the same type of flavor, Sweet Rum Twist is probably cheaper.

Believe it or not.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first rope tobacco I have smoked. I was a little apprehensive about the strength. But all those cigars I have smoked helped. This is not a noobie smoke at all but it is very good. Everyone should try a rope at least a couple times. I don't get a huge rum flavor just a little nice sweetness. Smoked slowly and carefully SRT will reward you but it can kick back if not taken care of. I found it easy to prepare and did not have a problem keeping it on a smolder. The name makes you think heavy aromatic but it isn't so much, it's really just a nice strong. I also didn't get a huge nicotine but i know some do.

in short if you feel yourself getting bored of you baccy pick up a bit of this and give it a shot. If you're a cigar smoker try it because I bet you'll like it.

Chops Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chops (3)
Very Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just received this rope in the mail today and was anxious to try it out. It was a bit moist so, I put a sample in the microwave for a few seconds (an impatient method, I know).

This tobacco reminds me of Swisher Sweet cigarillos or Acid's "Blondie" without the sugary wrapper. The aroma is is sweet and pleasant with a bit of throwback to Old Spice cologne. The flavor, however, is smooth and dry like the cigars mentioned above and remains consistent throughout. My only qualm is that the flavor is somewhat one-dimensional and lacks notable complexity.

This is definitely a good smoke for anyone who enjoys dark tobaccos with a nicotine kick (don't be frightened by its strength) but not something I could imagine smoking more than once a day. Happy smoking!

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

First off, I have to commend Inquisitor for his rope smoking perseverence. If you don't read the right review, you might get the idea that he hates ropes, but continues smoke them all. I think he got a sampler, which is not a bad idea. He found one he likes. And another name drop. . . Pipestud mentioned something important: Personal chemistry has a lot to do with the rope experience.

I find Sweet Rum Twist to be pretty tame. (That 'medium' was no mistake). It's agressive at light up, so you have to go slowly. I think that's why so many people say ropes are harsh. They can slap you in the kisser at the match. But, for me, it's got loads of dark sweet spicey smokey tobacco-flavory flavor, and the rum comes through with very slow puffing. I inhale this stuff with no problemmdkmlkfdsns. oops, ok it's certainly not mild. But it's very smooth. Maybe I just got a really good 4 ounces, I don't know.

This is an incredibly satisfying smoke. I wouldn't smoke it all the time, but four or five times a week, it really hits the spot. Ropes do command attention. If you are a careless smoker, forget it. This isn't something to stick in your pipe when you mow the lawn or plow the snow, or shovel the rain or whatever. {Actually, I usually smoke this while playing chess (against the computer. I even win sometimes!).}

As for wife rating, I gave my wife a lit bowlful of sweet rum twist and she gave it back to me after a few puffs, saying 'It's too strong'. That's it, just, too strong. She never complains about the room note, although just about everyone else does.

But, as a lot of people say, if you're committed to the pipe, or you're just committed, you gotta smoke the rope at least once. You just might like it. It's yummerific!

'Baccy'Ho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
'Baccy'Ho (10)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

If you like a strong but somewhat sweet full tobacco with a nicotine kick like a Missouri mule, then this is for you. Like others here, I sliced some thin discs from the twist, rubbed them out and broke the longer strands a bit to facilitate packing. The center of my particular twist was very moist and could use with some drying. With the moisture, it took a bit to light but stayed lit fairly well. Now the RUSH! NICOTINE HEAD BUZZ! Good strong cigar aroma. Initially sweet flavor that is subdued by the strength of the tobak into the middle of the bowl. I am almost afraid to smoke it to the bottom, but I persist and an hour later am rewarded with a fine gray ash. This makes for a good long and strong head pleaser. The flavor is a strong but good cigar like tobacco flavor with a bit of sweetness from the rum that manages to remain present to the bottom of the bowl. The rum is actually tastefully done. I feel however that due to the strength of the tobacco that NO amount of rum would overpower this weed.

I recommend this tobacco to those that prefer stronger high nicotine weeds. Cigarette smokers will enjoy the nic kick. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

'baccy'ho

As an afterthought, I failed to mention that my particular sample is well over a year old, and had been stored in my cellar in a mason jar. My initial trial of this twist upon purchace was similiar to my more recent forray and age has had little effect.

6/18/2009 Revisit In cleaning my mason jars and checking my inventory, I happened upon this. Age has seemingly smoothed this twist a bit. The sweetness remains, but now I think that it is more credit to the tobacco than to the rum casing. It is still as strong as P. Bunyan's Ox, Blue. Good stuff, Strong stuff, Still not for the faint of heart. Very rewarding if smoked correctly. Good stuff but not one I would smoke every day.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Extremely Strong Medium Full Very Strong

Having decided not to try ropes again for a very long time, my tobacconist kindly gave me a lump of this one to try out. Well, I couldn't refuse,so I tried it out in a small billiard, while out for a cold day, and was pleasantly surprised.

The flavour was like brown bogie, with a little rum sweetness that did not detract from the flavour, but complemented it pleasantly. In the cold air, it burned very cool, and without bite or harshness, and the strength was not overpowering. If smoked indoors, though, it presents all these imperfections I find in twists- and the smoke just hangs around and makes it TOO STRONG...

So, I've discovered that ropes are for outdoors, for wandering the hills and fields in the colder seasons of the year, they provide a faithful companion. But put them in a house, and they may well turn against you like a wild beast.

Get thee to cold, windswept hills, and ENJOY.

Lew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lew (2)
Strong Medium Full Strong

This is one of my favourite late night tobaccos. As an ex-cigarette smoker I like tobaccos with a bit of a nicotine kick and this one really hits the spot.

Flavour-wise it's pretty much pure tobacco with a nice spicyness and a hint of sweetness from the rum topping which prevents it from becoming too harsh. Inhaling the smoke with the "French inhale" method reveals a very pleasant aroma (although as an outdoor smoker I have no idea what the room note would be like in an enclosed space).

To prepare this one for smoking I cut off a couple of thin discs with a cigar cutter and then rub out fully, breaking up any over-large strands. I usually let it stand for a few minutes prior to packing as the centre of the rope can be a little moist. I then pack it in a nice small prince basket pipe.

If you're not into nicotine-heavy tobaccos then I'd recommend steering clear of this one as I can imagine the hit would leave your head spinning heavily. For those who like a nice kick then I highly recommend this one.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Extremely Strong Medium Full Strong

Another nicotine bomb from the Kendal region. Next to 1792 flake this is the most potent tobacco I have smoked. The tobacco flavors themselves and casing are grand for me. It has a heavy cigar quality with the peppery and cinnamon quality of the dark fired leaf, rounded off with the sweet rum casing. I wish Gawith would have much milder blends with that flavoring. The overall flavor is all I could hope for in a blend but the potent nicotine level prevents it from being an everyday mainstay.

David Cimino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
David Cimino (18)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Strong

I like to smoke rope style tobaccos from time to time and have found most of them not only strong in nicotine but also very strong in flavor. This is indeed a strong tobacco as far as nicotine content goes but smokes lighter than most other ropes I've tried. I recommend smoking this blend while sitting down and on a full stomach. I enjoy cutting slices and rubbing them out. It transports one back in time. You can hear the sails luff and the mast stays creak as you cut off thin slices from this hearty rope. I recommend pre cutting a bunch of slices and letting them breath. This is a moist tobacco and has a tendency to smoke a little wet. It's worth it to let it dry a bit. I found it to be a pleasant, smooth and full bodied smoke with a hint of sweetness from the rum. In fact, this is one blend where I could really get a sense of the rum as a flavoring. I will smoke this again, most likely after a hearty meal.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong

This is probably the strongest tobacco I've ever smoked. That being said it is also one of the coolest burning tobaccos I've ever had. It is cased with rum/maple which I really liked because it did not interfere with the pure tobacco flavor and actually enhanced the blend. It comes in a rope form which was pretty easy to handle and helped it hold it's flavor as it ages. It took some time to get lit but once going it burned down to a white powder. The room note is very cigar like which comes through in the taste. I had to smoke it in some of my smaller pipes it's just too much to handle in medium or large ones. I have to admit when I first tried this my 3 year old was asking mom "why is daddy cross eyed and drooling" You have to try this once in your life.