Sherlock Holmes kept his tobacco in the toe
of a Persian slipper. Could it be that he had a
particularly special reserve hidden away among his dusty old books where only he would know?
This full English blend is both strong and rich
with Latakia - Yet smooth and full just the way

3.2
de la Fuentes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
de la Fuentes (3)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Would Mr. Holmes like this if he tried it? I think so. It's obvious from Conan Doyle's writings that the detective would have smoked Orientals or Virginias, definitely not the aromatic of the Peterson variety bearing Mr. Holmes' name.

Quite frankly I was pleasantly surprised when I tried my first bowl of this blend. I was a bit apprehensive, Sherlock is quite a name to live up to, but Sherlock's Reserve does this quite well. This is quite good for a mild English tobacco and I didn't have to dry out my bag at all. Fairly nice smell, but not a "wife pleaser" I'd say. Latakia and Virginia very apparent in the flavor, the casing is slight, perhaps an alcohol which is fine by me and nothing to detract from the essential "tobacconess" of the taste.

For English smokers this might be a good all day smoke, for aromatic smokers this could be a Lat to get your "feet wet" on without being blown away. I think I'll be buying it again when I use mine up, and that won't be too long in coming. Why I don't give it a perfect four stars? I'm still searching for that perfect tobacco, I might be inclined to upgrade my rating in the future.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is my first non-aromatic blend.I liked it. Very dank taste. smells like leather upon opening the bag. Upon the first light I got a clove smell and from there I really liked it.Because I am new it is hard to get through a whole bowl but I will keep this in supply. Dry it out first !! The Latakia is very strong but it has a smooth undertone.

221b Baker St. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221b Baker St. (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this today, got kind of a weird taste on the initial light, got really good after about 30 seconds of the second light, nice even burn and no bite. Have to be more careful and little slower, made my head spin a little, all in all pretty good.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)

Sherlock's Reserve - A nice and darkly rich flavored blend. The burning Latakia is well balanced here and is a rather enjoyable smoke. Not the best VALA but pretty darn tasty! Worth a pouch worth.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

It has a rich flavor and unlike the blend called Sherlock Holmes, I think Sherlock might of liked this one. Nice rich tobacco flavor with some depth. This is a English style blend with little or no casing except a vaguely unknown alcohol scent. I will have to make the drive to buy this again. The latakia really was at just the right strength. I think there might be some other things in here besides the virginia but not enough to made the smoke into a mess. It was a very moist blend at first but dried to a perfect level after awhile, which supported my alcohol topping theory. I give it four stars for being a good smoke for the folks who like a real tobacco taste.

RangerFromTheSouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RangerFromTheSouth (3)

This "London Mix" is obviously English in style, but has enough Latakia to give it a kick. Might be a sprinkling of Perique in here, but it's hard to tell. There is this agreeably pungent attitude to the overall experience that has an old "oak barrel aged" Scotch Whiskey reference, but is so subtle, it's hard to say if it's a Perique spicy touch, or an alcohol topping, or both.

I was told that the smoke left the room pleasant enough, but without any dramatic characteristic, except it's deeper than a straight English blend, has a good old-fashioned rich tobacco aftersmell.

To me, the taste was "meaty" and satisfying and you'll be encouraged to smoke it fuller for more flavor, but that will lead to a bite from the Virginia, so work the bellows with caution. You'll also get a nicotine hit if you're working it too much.

I didn't find it over moist, but would be obviously improved with some judicious drying. I did find the last clump at the bottom didn't stay lit near as well as the rest of the bowl, and there was a bit of goop I found upon cleaning.

All in all, I'd say this could be someone's everyday smoke, or one you'll feel is good for any occasion, but the particular flavor might not be for everyone. Sherlock's Reserve might be taken better in small doses, than a real sit down where you'll reduce a bowl all at once.

(The Website's description is a bit misleading, for you Sherlockians out there know that Holmes keep his dregs and dottle from the previous day in his Persion slipper for the purpose of smoking that the next morning and was probably the nastiest baccy in London...)