This unusual aromatic and earthy blend of the finest tobaccos available offers both smokiness and rich flavor with a pleasant smoothness. Now improved with greater smoothness, better flavor and a hint of Black Raspberry! Blended with smoke ring makers in mind, this blend is both smokey and gentle as a room aroma. The flavor is entirely unique and pleasant to all. Packed well and smoked in a thick walled pipe will give opportunity to get the fires going hot enough to make great clouds of smoke and rings to your hearts content.

Notes: Previously sold as "Middle Earth Blend"

BrandThePipeRoom.com
Taste
Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I can remember purchasing this blend from piperoom.com (who is, very sadly, now out of business) right as the "Lord of the Rings" movies were coming out. As noted, it was called "Middle Earth Blend" back then, but due to some oddball copyright laws or some such nonsense, they had to change the name to "King Arthur Blend."

I have loved everything about this pipe tobacco. The aroma right out of the bag, the wonderful billows of aromatic smoke upon the first puff, and the overall satisfyingly relaxing smoke that it is. Now, I happen to be a pipe smoker who loves a good English blend, and I can never get enough Latakia. So, with that in mind, I for one cannot understand some of the snobbery out there against a good, solid, tasty, aromatic such as this. I love a good single malt scotch like Laphroaig, but I also enjoy a nice cold glass of lemonade on a hot summer day! Everything in it's place, right?

I bought a pound of this blend from piperoom.com a little over a year ago, and cellared it. I'm glad I did, because now, there is no longer any to be had. Frankly, I think piperoom.com might have made a few changes to the blend when they changed its name, as I recall it being tastier when it was MEB. However, if you can still find some out there, NAB IT! My wife loves the smell of it, as do all around me when I light up a bowl of this rich, earthy, sweet rasberry tasting tobacco! I have several pipe smoking relatives, and they love this blend as well.

I will miss piperoom.com, they had some amazing house blends!

Society of the Briar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Society of the Briar (13)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

One of the first tobaccos I ordered based on reviews from this site. After zinging through two pouches, I'm ready for a third. Sure, if you're after a super strong tobacco that'll put hair on your forehead, this isn't it. But, if you're after a true quality aromatic that isn't your average drug store blend, give King Arthur Blend a puff. The pouch aroma is amazing: solid vanilla and subtle berry flavors with the slightest hint of smokiness. Not a very strong natural tobacco taste, but neither is there an intense chemical/tooth coating taste. All in all, a truly balanced aromatic. I'm not one to seek a tobacco that'll punch me in the jaw when I wake up. I prefer something a bit more gentle and for me King Arthur is it.

XavierMouser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XavierMouser (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Strong

I got this based on the reviews I seen here. Frankly I wasn't that impressed. I shared some with some friends, we all kinda agree...it's not bad, but it's not "good" either. I would say try it, but don't have your hopes up when you do.

de la Fuentes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
de la Fuentes (3)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

This is a diva of aromatics, lots of show, but not too much substance. I must admit that King Aurthur has a good smell out of the bag, like a forest floor strewn with wild berries, and it has quite a crowd pleasing room note. Its flavor kind of lets me down though. Its something that is quite sweet, has a nice taste of berries but where's the nicotine? Where's the tobacco for that matter? I smoked one bowl through and later tried a second, but didn't want to finish it. Its two dimensional sticky sweet flavor was something that was a bit much for me. I suppose if your one of those aromatic smokers of heavily cased cherry cavendish you'll like this a good deal. If you want a subtle and complex smoke of actual tobacco flavors, this is not for you.

I don't know if I would buy this again, I might mix it with some Virginia or something else to give it more depth of taste, the flavor might improve with that. I do like the great clouds of white smoke, but that's its best point. It's a great tobacco to smoke around nonsmokers, sweet smell, billows of smoke, it'll look great in my bent churchwarden along with a wizard's costume, but most pipe and cigar men will laugh at me when they try it.

So its a sweet smelling, smoke producing, flat tasting, oily mass of leaves, that will be good to smoke for other people's benefit, but no so much your own. I've had worse, but then I've had way better.

BIG-DEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BIG-DEN (1)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This King Arthur Blend is Awesome! When I smoked my fist bowl, I new I was going to like this tobacco! This aromatic produces a very pleasant room note and the taste is the same from top to the bottom of the bowl! I purchased my king Arthur Blend from The Pipe Room . Com. I did not find the tobacco to be too moist, I fired up my pipe "One Time" and smoked it to the bottom! I found the Strength to be Mild and the flavor to be intoxicating! This is a tobacco that should be smoked at a time when you really want to enjoy a Quality Aromatic Blend! This tobacco is one of my favorites and now is one of my top Ten!

adamfasoli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adamfasoli (8)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I picked up a pouch of this after reading some good reviews here and it was a great purchase! King Arthur blend, as it seems to be called now, has a great pouch smell, a great room note, and a wonderfully subtle flavor. At first I didn't catch the berry flavor, but after a little while it came through and was very enjoyable. It is also quick to light and smokes easily. Sometimes I don't even dry it out beforehand and it still takes to flame very easily. This is my favorite tobacco blend that I have tried thus far!

Argo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Argo (17)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Let me start by saying, what a fabulous blend! Aroma both lit and unlit is pleasant. The blackberry is there, the earthiness, as it is described, is there as well. Even some tobacco taste comes through once in a while from the VA ribbons. Produces absurd smoke clouds as all TPR blends do, I suspect unnaturally. It may bite if abused, i usually do let it dry out a bit. Comes in a durable pouch but it's best to mason jar it; the toppings/dressings is fragile and degrades quickly. Good quality aromatic.

SlowToke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SlowToke (5)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

ThePipeRoom.com's King Arthur is a fine aromatic blend. As already noted the raspberry and vanilla flavors dominate. It is a very moist tobacco that requires a fair amount of drying for a decent burn. I also rub it out just a bit to help it dry and to get a better burn. Suprisingly, rubbing it out doesn't seem to affect the taste for me. It produces copious amounts of thick, creamy smoke just as it touts. It smokes very mildly and leaves no harsh or perfumy aftertastes. I can't get this one to bite despite my best efforts. It does require quite a few relights especially towards the bottom of the bowl. And like many aromatics you get some moisture build-up and an occasional gurgle. The nicotine is unnoticeable. My biggest complaint is that it is very monochromatic throughout the entire bowl and by the end of the bowl I am quite bored with it. It's also tough to taste any tobacco despite my best efforts. I now smoke it on occassion in a very shallow and wide bowl to keep from getting bored. The room note is very pleasant. Bottom line: This one is worth a try but there are more interesting smokes out there to be had for the aromatic lovers. I would recommend this one to the novice.

opndsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
opndsmoker (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is the best aromatic I've ever smoked. Not to heavy on the topping, but a great flavor. Produces a lot of smoke-- great for blowing rings-- but has an incredible room note. If you want a great aromatic, this is your brand. I haven't smoked anything better yet.

LostInDaJungle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LostInDaJungle (13)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Really enjoyed this, now marketed as "King Arthur". The casing was light enough to let the tobacco flavor through, strong enough to add nice flavor and a pleasant room note. No "perfume" feeling in my mouth after a full bowl. Vanilla and Raspberry flavors predominated, which seems to be a Pipe Room specialty. The underlying mix of Tobacco was smooth and complimented the casing nicely. Not as strongly cased as "Enchanted Forest", but still huge volumes of smoke to blow rings with. I could literally blow a ring inside a ring inside a ring.

The burn was cool, no bite, not spicy, and didn't leave me tasting it 3 hours later. As with all of the Pipe Room's offerings, overly damp upon first opening, so 20 minutes air out helps immensely. I'm not a big lover of aromatics, but this is one I'll keep going back to.

If I had any complaint it would be that after a while the flavor gets a little old as there isn't much change from the top of the bowl to the bottom, and the casing gets a little strong towards the end. This tobacco loves a smaller bowl. Smoked in a Corn Cob first, the flavor was allowed to come through and the small bowl left me wanting more. Smoked in a Peterson 120 later, it was a bit more muted, and by the end of the bowl I was kinda glad it was over.

Funnily enough the one Tobacco the Pipe Room doesn't pimp with a grand description is probably the most deserving of it. Very nice, well balanced, smooth, and tasty.

Jaraxle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaraxle (3)

I am fairly new smoker, less than a year and I must say that this is one of the best aromatics I have had. The other being Delf from the same company. If you like aromatics, you should definatly try this one.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Very Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

This is an overly moist aromatic that smokes hot and will bite if you aren't careful. What saves this blend is that it has a VERY interesting flavor profile and a wonderful room note. It really does taste somewhat like berries, and if you try hard enough you might actually catch a whiff of tobacco flavor somewhere, too. I bought four ounces of this stuff and put it in jars, but I don't plan on buying any more of it once it's gone. For those who really like strong aromatics, however, this might be a keeper.

1968Billy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1968Billy (13)

Yes, I'm one of the few that still has a thick ziploc with a bowl or two left. Not by accident I was just savoring it for a special occasion. Pipe tobacco is a lot like booze sometimes it's just tastes better than others. Mostly it depends on your environment and the people around you. What may be average this week, could taste exceptional next, and possibly great experience in the future. Beautiful clouds of good smelling grey smoke rings! How many of you 1980's D&D players thought Lord of thr Rings was the greatest trillogy ever made? Enjoy the smoke, remember the past, and learn something.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)

King Arthur Blend:

The piperoom has a winner here. It's not their most popular blend by accident.

Yes, it is a fruity aromatic as it claims to be and lives up to it's calling. The vanilla and raspberry come through but not in an overbearing way. The cavendish makes for a nice cool, even smoke that have I haven't been able to make bite yet.

There is a mild tobacco taste if you look for it and desire that aspect, but again, its billed as a fruity aromatic and it simply is that.

80% aromatic aroma, 20% tobacco taste.

Dry this one quite a bit before smoking. The high moisture content can make this one burn a little hot and wet at first upon arrival. However, it was still a pleasant experience even before I figured out it needed drying.

Again, never a bite and every one of my non-smoking friends rave about the room aroma - they love it and so do I. Clear raspberry notes with vanilla backing it up.

Wonderful, another of my regulars!

Perhaps this blend has changed in more ways than just its name. I tried a couple of bowls a year or so ago and found it to be an extremely sweet tasting and bitey blend. Not long ago, I ordered a batch for a friend up in Canada and likewise got a small pouch for myself figuring I'd give it another go. I'm glad I did. It was much better and will be a bell ringer for the aromatic lovers among us. As a very rare change of pace, I'd smoke this one again.

Middle Earth/King Arthur is a mild aromatic with no nicotine punch. It has a light taste that certainly does remind me of black raspberries. If you try hard, you'll also taste the tobacco.

dbldragons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbldragons (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I have to admit this was my first venture into pipe smoking, (yes yes, with a MacQueen Wizard 15" nontheless!!!) but this was not only a great tasting smoke, I think it really helped me learn HOW to smoke correctly! Too much too quick and tounge bite, too slow and it goes out, but just right and you have this wonderful flavor rolling over your tounge! Has a 'zing' to it!

==sold now as "King Arthur Blend"==

Jayhwk10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jayhwk10 (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Being new to pipe smoking myself I found this blend to be extreamly easy to smoke and keep lit. It will bite if your not too careful but overall its a very pleasurable smoke. The only thing i've noticed is that it burns pretty darn hot, i'm a very conservative puffer and i still have to set down my pipe for a few minutes to cool off. Overall a wonderful smoke and i'd recommend this to anyone!

mr_b76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr_b76 (7)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

As was said by previous reviewers, this is a good smoke for the beginner. But I like it enough for a morning pipe. It has a very light tobacco taste with only a hint of the casing. I will probably buy this again, unless I find something better.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Middle Earth Blend - Wowsers! After reading the reviews I decided to give this blend a try...sure glad I did! This type of blend is usually not my bag of tricks but boy did I sure enjoy this. I smoked 10 bowls of this stuff the first day and I kept finding myself trying to eat the billows of delicious smoke that poured from my mouth. A delicious break and treat from my norm.

Due to copyright law this blend is now being called King Arthur but same delicious weed!

F. Prefect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
F. Prefect (24)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Since switching from cigarettes to the pipe about 8 years ago, I don't smoke nearly the quantities of flavored blends as I did my first 3 or 4 years, now favoring the Virginia/Perique or Virginia Latakia blends.

But a friend had me try a bowl of what he called the best tobacco he had ever smoked. I filled my Stanwell Churchwarden with a bowl and to my surprise I found it to be one of the best aromatics tobaccos I have ever smoked. It lit easily and produced copious quantities of blue gray smoke, and burned down to a light gray ash. The casing flavor is a bit difficult to describe, but I could detect a mildly sweet rasberry note, but also what tasted like some variety of Virginia. There were other flavorings as well, but as I stated above, I could not accurately identify.

But overall, this is a very good blend and well worth the price. For someone who is just beginning to smoke the pipe, and searching for a good all day tobacco, they could do a lot worse than The Piperoom.com Middle Earth Blend. Good Stuff.

F. Prefect

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

What can I say that hasnt been said about this tobacco already? It is a wonderful aromatic blend that I find would be a great regular smoke. I only ordered a small amount of this and try to save it for when I have the time to really enjoy smoking so that I dont waist any of the experience. Nice amount of creamy puffs of smoke come with this, but not too much (like that could happen). Even if you are not a regular aromatic smoker, give this one a try. If you dont like it, send the rest my way.

PipeSmokerForLife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmokerForLife (10)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the first time that I bought tobacco from the THEPIPEROOM.COM. Yes, I read the above reviews before I bought it and yes, it were the reviews that peeked my curiosity. Overall, this is pretty good stuff. I was expecting a very sweet and somewhat goopy smoke from Middle Earth. NOT SO!! I am not an aromatic fan. Or to put it differently, I started out aromatic 35 years ago and back then aromatics tasted differently. But as I have said many times before, I have changed over time, and maybe it's the aromatics (especially the bulk blends) that have reallly changed. Anyway, Middle Earth is highly recommeded especcially for an all day smoke. Nope!! I don't think it bites, no matter how hard I puff. I've been braking in a new Vipratti, which I aquired the other day, (puffing slowly of course with this pipe) and the smoke has been heaven.

One recommendation: Give this stuff a day to dry. In my opinion, it's a bit on the wet side when I recieved it.

Now just one question I ask myself...why does this Middle Earth taste so much like a blend that I smoked as a sample from Cornell & Diehl at the Chicago Land Pipe and Tobacco show?? Hmmmmm.....they seem almost like the same blends except that the Cornell & Diehl blend was packed drier.

choose fatalism Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
choose fatalism (2)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorites. I have a bunch of tobacco that i try and rotate, but i gravitate toward this one most of the time. I wouldn't recommend it as an all day smoke, it is a little sweet, but it makes a tremendous after dinner smoke. The berry flavor lasts through most of the bowl, and fades off towards the end. It will bite you if you aren't careful though... I purchased a pound from The Pipe Room. It is a little moist when you open the package. Letting it dry out a bit is recommended.

RangerFromTheSouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RangerFromTheSouth (3)

This tobacco sort of worries you when you first open the pouch, because the raspberry aroma is quite dramatic. You expect it to goop up the pipe and to be hard to keep lit. I was pleasantly surprised to find it a very forgiveable smoke and the raspberry note was one of these subtle aromatic nuances that lingers for a while in the room without being a pest.

The taste is consistent mostly through the bowl, but on occasion you'll hit a patch of sweetness that makes up for any bite you may encounter, which should be minimal. The smoke is also a definite shade of blue which I just enjoy as it whirls around as this blend is designed to produce good quantities of smoke.

I've enjoyed this in briars, but I'd certainly recommend it in a clay. I've had this in a full clay and the Brebbia churchwarden that has the clay insert and the taste is purer and the smoke cooler. It also doesn't goop up a clay like you'd think it might. An excellent blend I'd recommend to the novice or the aromatic lover who wants subtlety and little maintenence.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Having just read Lord of the Rings, and having watched all three movies, I was in a bit of an LOTR mood, so I broke out the bag of Middle Earth Blend.

The aroma was quite pleasant, though not totally unfamiliar. Standard aromatic fare, a neatly and evenly cut Cavendish with a mixture of light and dark leaf for some visual appeal. The moisture content was a bit much, so I set some out to dry. Eventually, it did dry a bit, though the process took a bit longer than I would have expected..

With moisture under control, I loaded MEB into a medium sized ¼ bent bulldog. It lit fairly well, only one extra light needed to get it going. The fruit flavoring comes on strong at the beginning, builds a bit, then settles down ? all within a few minutes. The fruity taste is supported by a bit of a nutty taste in the background.

The burn rate is pretty good, and the tobacco burns evenly. The flavor is pretty constant once it settles down. Not overpowering, but very sweet and berry-ish. Monochromatic. Finally, after the 2/3 mark, the flavoring has burned away, and there is a bit of Cavendish flavor for a few seconds. If you aren?t there at just the right time though, you?ll miss it.

Overall, this is not a bad blend. I can?t imagine smoking it very often, as the flavor can be cloying. For future visits to this blend, I plan to use a smaller bowl to try to alleviate this problem.

I said at the top that the aroma wasn?t entirely unfamiliar. Same for the taste. Middle Earth Blend bears a striking resemblance to Lane?s RHQ-3. The room note must as well, because I was asked if I was smoking RHQ-3 when I smoked it at the local B&M one day.

p.smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.smoker (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

i think this this tobacco is awesome.if your like me and like aromatic blends this ones for you.i ordered a 50g pouch of this to see what it was like and all i can say is "wow".i had no tounge bite at all.it smelled great in the pouch and it smoked nice and smooth all the way to the bottom of the bowl. my kids really liked the smell.i smoked the first pouch and quickly ordered 4 more.i will keep this one on hand at all times.smoke this one in a lord of the rings style pipe if you have one.you`ll feel like your in the shire.highly recommended!

PaganBoyNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PaganBoyNC (8)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is a great aromatic tobacco that doesn't smoke like one. I had no problems getting it to light or keeping it lit and was able to smoke it at a fairly high temperature without either the flavor or my tongue suffering. The tobacco taste and the flavoring taste are both fulfilling and seem to go well together, both remaining sweet and rich all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The room note was wonderful also, sweet and smoky without being at all harsh.

I'd reccomend it for a relaxing smoke when you simply want the ritual, taste and smell of the pipe but don't want a particularly strong nicotine kick. Since it smokes great even when puffed fast, it's great for when your mind is elsewhere or if you're new to the pipe and would probably make a good outdoor smoke as well.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Normally I do not smoke aromatics, but the taste, coupled with the WONDERFUL room note this has is absolutely enchanting. I adore this tobacco. It's hard to pinpoint the exact room note smell, but the taste is great. I do generally let it dry a bit before I smoke it, but it's wonderful stuff just the same. There is no equal in aromatics as far as this blend is concerned. I prefer this blend over Glen Piper, and for me, that says a lot.