A mild and pleasant mixture blended only from the best leaf of bright and dark tobacco grades. Made with a special manufacturing process in which the tobacco is pressed, and sprayed during maturation with Guinness stout and champagne. A sort of light english/aromatic crossover.

BrandTorben Dansk

3.2
augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I like a good story, and I like all the lore of pipe tobacco. Take for instance the brief lil history of Presbyterian Mixture. I mean that is just sorta nifty to hear how a blend was concieved and for who and you know what now I can see what the old reverend was all so fired up about all these years later and ta da we are a part of the story of the blend.

I do not know the story behind this blend but I imagine I'd like to hear it. I mean were the folks at Dan just out of flavors one day and just went around the blending room asking hey what'd you drink last night.

"Really? Guiness stout and your wife had champagne.... hey lets spray it on this tobacco." Maybe someone wrote in and thought it'd be a great combo. I suppose we will never really know but you know it works for me.

I do not believe I would of figured the topping out on my own but after I read the note above it was obvious. The flavor is not so much strong though I put that in my notes for it is a bitter flavor but not all that unpleasent... sorta like a glass of Guiness! I like it you might not but it is a different flavor and for Dan tobacco to use it well out and out rather amazing. I do not know about that note on english aromatic crossover if so it seemed to me closer to aromatic which is probably why I like it.

Now I give this a cautionary endorsement for those english tobacco lovers out there. I am not one of your ilk though I like a latakia blend now and then. I know whiskey, vanilla, orange, pineapple, apple, nougat, coffee, chocolate, cinnamon, honey, scotch, wine, clove, whatever that stuff is that Lakeland tobacco use, deer tongue, anise, mint, myhrr, or whatever to you folks is just not desirable in your pure tobacco. I know I know goopy pipe flavor never leaves ya da ya da ya da day. This to me seemed a lil different and grownup for an aromatic. I think if you have to try a aromatic because of the better half is boycotting your preferred blends well this may be worth a try. Hey maybe just maybe the unique bitter taste may match your disposition (did I say that?) I mean taste and leave you with a happy home and a ok room note. Please note I was an early (and constant) lover of Bluenote so take the above suggestion with a grain (boulder) of salt.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Tin note is wonderful. Sweet but not off putting. Dry right from the tin. A mix of ribbons and chunks of flake. The initial flavour is wonderful. Subtle sweetness and a wisp of the casing. I love Guinness so that alone got my attention. I've moved this blend to a mason jar and am hopeful that aging will make it better. Worth a try.

Pipe Used: Several Pete's

Age When Smoked: 2 years tinned

Purchased From: Gift

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The tin note comes across with a great vanilla, roasted malt and quality tobacco aroma. But the fun just begins at the tin! The rich flavors that develop through the bowl transcend the aromas in the tin. Rich vanilla, creamy malt, a hint of molasses, english walnuts, and plum. At times the pure quality tobacco notes take the lead, but can quickly be displaced by one or more of the aforementioned flavors. Whether intended as such, or not, it represents a wonderful expression of the art and science of the blending craft.

Pipe Used: Neerup, Peterson, MM

Age When Smoked: need de-coder ring; purchased 6 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I had high hopes on this blend but it simply did not delivered.

Upon opening the tin, you will find a very dark blend. Eventhough Latakias is said to be present, it is not apparent on the tin aroma, and could not be tasted on the smoke either.

As with other Dan Pipe tobaccos, this is a very sweet rich aromatic. Is is somewhat complex, evolving a bit while it is being consumed.

But alas! the nicotine punch of this blend is too much for me. This is uncalled for, as it is a true aromatic, and no trace of the latakia can be perceived, not even too much of the virginas. Yet, no matter the pipe, time of day or previous meals, this tobacco makes me flip all the time. Probably its just me and my system, but I will stick to others Dan blends.

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Absolutely delicious! But then again I am mostly a latakia hater, so if you LOVE latakia's than this blend might not be for you because the latakia is very discreet (though still present).

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I love Guinness stout. I did not like the flavor of stout, or the smell of it in the tobacco. I could not detect the champagne. I did smoke the whole tin. It took quite a while. I only tasted the latakia after the tin had dried out completely. It was a mild taste at best. I like many Dan tobacco products, but I just did not get this one. For the record I don't like the whiskey flavored blends either. I think spirit flavors are better in a glass.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As a U.S. Marine in April of '82, I stayed in London for a few weeks and came to appreciate Guinness, at room temperature no less! All the British men were down in the Falkland Islands at the time and this is when I became a pipe smoker because I couldn't find my brand of cigarettes.

As an English smoker almost exclusively, I'm not crazy about aromatics. But this one caught my eye and I ordered a tin. Now I have a pound to refill my tin as needed. This is now my afternoon smoke with a bottled Guinness (still at room temp).

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Just another Dan tobacco that is wonderful and highly recommended. No description necessary...minus the fact that they chose the best beer around(Guinness Stout) to make the wonderful tobacco. 4/4 stars. I could never imagine disliking any Dan Tobacco.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

For the uninitiated, a Black Velvet is a cocktail made of 1/3 champagne and 2/3 Guinness. A fine beverage indeed! Sure, Guinness is a weird beer, completely different from the usual ales, lagers and pils: I happen to love its dark, subdued and refreshing taste, and its creamy foam. It is a stout, an almost black beer from Ireland, light in alcohol, subtly bitter and thirst-quenching. Given this premise, I thought I should love a tobacco topped with Black Velvet, right? Well, more or less... The blend is composed of virginia tobaccos with a light percentage of Latakia, flavored with Guinness and champagne during maturation under presses. It's difficult to think of it as "aromatic" anyway, as the topping is very light and Guinness in itself has not an overwhelming flavor. I'd rather think of it as a natural blend (an ultra-light English mixture) with an extra touch: a philosophy which is similar to the basic idea of GLPease Mephisto, I might say. The tin aroma is elegantly perfumed, in a very unobtrusive manner: hardly reminiscent of the real Black Velvet, but fine anyway, and with some attention you CAN get hints of wine and beer. After filling a bowl and lighting, you are welcomed by a VERY soft taste. You can't really detect either a strong sweetness/grassiness from the Virginias, or a distinct smokiness/nuttiness from the Latakia: both the distinctive notes of the two tobaccos are very subdued. Hey, even the topping is so subtle that you really can't pick it out precisely! You feel there's something there, but it's more of a delicate, subtle perfume (reminiscent more of the champagne than of Guinness) that perfectly integrates the subtle taste of the tobaccos. Where this blend really reminds a lot of Guinness, is in its very refreshing, subdued taste with echoes of slight bitterness on the palate. I am not saying that it TASTES 100% like Guinness, I am saying that it gives a very similar impression on my taste buds. Alas, while good, I can't say it's a completely satisfactory smoke, either: it lacks body and taste, and I guess that even as an all-day smoke it is too light and soft in flavor. Anyway, it is refreshingly different and unique, and I can't think of another blend with a similar flavoring. Every once in a while it may be a fine alternative, also because it burns very well and with a consistent flavor throughout the bowl (the same can't be said of most aromatics, which tend to get worse from half onwards): definitely worth a try, even if it doesn't seem to be available yet in the USA. But, again, it can't compete with a nice pint of Black Velvet (the drink!) with a pipe full of something very full and sweet to contrast its bitterness, like the wonderful Marlin Flake or another sweet pure Virginia. And just one more thing: my colleagues at work say that in spite of the subtle taste for the smoker, this blends stinks like all my other English mixtures! And, I should add, it leaves a rather perceivable Guinness taste in your pipe, so beware!

Please take this review from a non Aro smoker. That said, this tobacco came very dry and ready to smoke. One of my big complaints with cased Aros is that they are too wet, no so here. I also did not experience the typical bite that I get from most Aros, maybe because it was so dry. This reminded me of Sillems Black, but not as high quality and the Latakia was not as pronounced (sorry, but my tastes are diffrent than reviewer,"doc'spipe 02/17/2011" ) . I did get hints of chocolate that was very nice but didn't stay.For you Aro smokers I think this would be a 3-4 star , but for me it's a 2

I do love the little tin.

I tried this along with Dan's Da Vinci. Both were similar in overall flavor and taste. Black Velvet had a caramel-like tin note which translated into the taste - albeit minimally. If I didn't know there was Latakia, I wouldn't have guessed. However, knowing it is present is probably accountable for the slightly musty (but pleasant) taste. It was not the taste of Latakia in the traditional sense, so if that's what you're after, look elsewhere. A mostly dark offering and in many ways reminded me of Dunhill's Royal Yacht in appearance but not in taste. The smoking characteristics were fine - not hot, no moisture or gurgle. never ashy or cigarette-like. A very pleasant change of pace aromatic. Bittersweet, with the slight bitterness (in a good way) that I attributed to the Guinness. I could not detect any champagne in the tin note or while smoking. Along with Da Vinci, both are solid aromatic offerings and a go to for when one wants an aromatic that still retains tobacco flavor with Black Velvet having slightly more in the tobacco flavor department. Neither are candy-like in any way during the smoking experience.

UPDATE 2-17-12: It's exactly a year since my first review of this tobacco and I would have to say my favorite for when I want a cased/topped aromatic smoke. This is no Tinder Box type aromatic. It has a very tobacco-like presence which adds to the pleasant smoking experience. As I said a year ago, it is not candy-like. I prefer this to Dan's Da Vinci and Stanwell's Melange. Both of those are pleasant enough smokes, but Black Velvet gives you a fuller tobacco experience. For its genre, I prefer it to Sillem's Black (too Latakia dominant for me). Smoking this now from a tin that I opened 2-25-11 and let sit. With Irish Flake being a regular favorite, lighter fare usually doesn't do, but Black Velvet can hold its own for me. It is very nice indeed - mellow, no harshness, beautiful side stream aroma/room note, and very flavorful. It could become a regular smoke for me but I would smnot want it to wear out its welcome over time. However, it never fails to satisfy for that "change of pace" smoke.

gandalf7531 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gandalf7531 (8)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been an aromatic smoker off and on for years, and almost all of them have disappointed me in one way or another. It was these series of disappointments that led me to branch out to more traditional tobaccos. On my way there I happened upon Black Velvet. It's been called an English crossover due to it having latakia as well as some mild spraying of Guinness and champagne. From the perspective of aromatics, this blend stands head and shoulders above most all of them. It is a good blend to try on the way towards classic traditional English tobaccos.

The aroma from the tin is delightful. Sort of a licorice and fruit smell. It lights up well and smokes down to a nice, white ash. The strength of this blend is a bit more than I'm used to. It's not exceedingly heavy in Vit. N., but more than most aromatics I've tried. For me the room note was less tolerable than most aromatics I've tried. Still, it won't run everyone out of a room.

The taste of the tobacco is somewhat of a sticking point for me. It had a much more noticeable taste than many of the aromatics I've smoked, yet there was a certain lack of complexity to the flavor. It had more depth than most aromatics, yet it refused to go too deep or become a very "intricate" smoke. Overall I was left with a bit of a mixed feeling. It certainly had some taste, yet it was sort of monochromatic. It burned cool and gave absolutely no bite.

I am recommending this blend as it might appeal to some folks and it's certainly worthwhile to explore it. For me, I'm looking for a fuller, richer smoke than Black Velvet provides. I still believe it can be a great introduction to classic English blends for aromatic smokers. I could see smoking this blend in the morning as the first bowl of the day.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This blend benefits from drying out and a gravity fill followed by very light tamping, in a size 3 or 4 billiard. Although I couldn't taste the latakia and had trouble reaching the virginia-ness of the virginia, I'm perfectly satisfied with the licorice-laced chocolate taste and aroma, which somehow does not cloud the good quality of the base tobacco. The nicotine is on the light side, which is how I prefer it. A very relaxing smoke, few relights and extremely smooth burning throughout the bowl (when dried out first). It begins grabbing you by the nose, but as the bowl progresses, the effect on the palate becomes stronger and more flavorful. I would agree with the previous reviewer who noted that it's a perfect "palate cleanser" for after dinner.

shudd3r2th1nk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shudd3r2th1nk (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant

had to air out the tobacco when i got it, slow sipping, no relights, delicious taste. smoking it in my stanwell vario.

i cannot describe how much i love the taste of this tobacco, highly recommended. exhaling from the nose, quite slowly, is a definite pleasure afterwards to the olfactory.

favourable comments from nonsmokers on the room note; sweet, somewhat nutty, a dark molasses & dark chocolate mixture.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

A very unique blend. It's basically an aromatic with latakia added to it.

Very easy to light. The tobacco that I was given may have been a bit too dry, as it burned rather hot, and I had to take my time with it.

The flavor isn't half bad, just not my cup of tea. The Virginia's really don't come through. What does come through is an aromatic, liquor bitterness. I absolutely love Guinness stout, but can't taste it here. The latakia is very mellow, and if you haven't smoked English blends before you'll probably just recognize the flavor as a general light spiciness.

Overall, a good "crossover" aromatic. I won't be getting it again in the future though because I'm not too crazy about aromatics in general or liquor casing in my tobacco.

Llewellyn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Llewellyn (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked some Virginia's and some English tobacco's, yet favour the aromatics by far. This tobacco seems to be the closest to an English and latakia I can get before I find them unpleasant. This is surprisingly one of my favourite smokes considering it's major competitors: W.O. Larsen's Signature Vintage Blend, Solani's 131 Red, and Lane's Black Cordial or Z-50.

I find it burns somewhat hot in the pipe and the mouth, yet smoothly down to fine ash at the bowl bottom. Full flavoured yet some sweetness. There is a good tongue tingle in the first quarter of the bowl. The more I smoke this, the more I become aware of hints of the stout and champagne throughout the smoke, yet never together.

A good after dinner smoke leaving the palate clean and fresh.

DrBoB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrBoB (7)

This is a lovely complex aromatic. I find it interesting that it is supposed to have Latakia in it, because I can't taste it. It is a coarse cut and consistently black tobacco with an anise pouch aroma and feels rather moist. Upon lighting I notice a distinct aroma of hay (the hops in the guiness) that is pleasant and fresh. There is just enough nicotine to leave me feeling warm on the top of my head at the end of the bowl. It burns evenly and leaves only ash. No ghosts left behind in my briar. I like it and have stocked a few tins because I will miss it when I've finished my initial pound and will want to revisit it after it is gone.

mrlindeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrlindeman (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In my own experience... This is a bit of a spicy blend. I dont smoke it as an aromatic because I have let it dry a little and it smokes better that way. The room note is nice. A smooth cool smoke is what I noticed the most. I cannot discribe the actual flavor though. I wanted to point at a star annis at first but after 3 pipes I changed my opinion. I think its great for an afternoon smoke but it is a bit on the nicotine side so I wont smoke it right before bedtime. I would definatly recomend this blend to someone that would like to slowly transition into virginia from aromatic. :)

Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Not my typical type of smoke, I got fascinated by this blend because I do like Latakia blends, but also good aromatics. And I am an afficionado of the Black Velvet cocktail; my favourite proportion being 2/3rds Guinness with 1/3rd dry champagne.

Opening the tin, I get nothing of Guinness, but a decent, light and fresh wine-ish note, with a hint of cloves and (so hang me!) perfumed soap. The tobacco mix is a medium-wide short cut that is easy to stuff, mostly dark browns and blacks with a few bright yellow specks that must be VA.

Lighting up is not a challenge, but I need to re-light a few times during the smoke. The taste is where the name kicks in: it really does remind me of a Black Velvet cocktail with its smooth maltiness and winey notes. Dan Tobacco states that the mix is about 50/50 VA and Latakia. If so, the Latakia is the mildest and least smelly in the world; it is noticeable in the taste (gaining a little towards the end of the bowl) and only hinted at in the room note.

Which is definitely tolerable, with a nice fresh note (and I wonder if this is what Napa Valley could have been, if only...). The taste is among the fullest I have yet experienced from a Dan Tobacco blend, with only a hint of bitterness at the very end. This blend burns coolly as advertised, I have experienced absolutely no condensation -- marking it as one of the really good aromatics -- overall, a fascinating tobacco, almost unique. I like, but could use a little more Vitamin N, and I have so far not managed to smoke a bowl to the very end without some dottle -- my only niggles.

uc_lonepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
uc_lonepipe (6)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Awesome blend by far one of the best things I've smoked period.

Stumptown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stumptown (2)

This being the first pipe tobacco I had ever tried may make me slightly biased. All I know is that the first time I ever lit my pipe, and tasted/smelled this tobacco I was instantly hooked.

The room note is sweet, without being sickly, and almost doesn't smell like tobacco at all. The bag aroma was very strong, and I definitely wasn't used to it, but now I've come to love it.

Don't be fooled by the relatively cheap price (well, I got mine on blowout at a well know online retailer), this is quality tobacco.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend i was worried about to be blunt......i had read some reviews and i worried this was going to be another brutal bulk blend mimicking flavours and sub par baccy.Upon opening the cheap celophane bag,i found the pouch aroma to be divine, it reminded me of fine espresso, anise and good dark chocolate. The cut reminded me of a crimp style similar to the prince, not to wide or thick(perfect in my books) it packed in the bowl well not too wet or too dry(perfect in my books again) upon lighting the flavour was exquisite and full bodied, the flavour was that of caramel, heavey cream(possibly condensed milk)and a hint of clove,the topping didnt inhibit or digise the flavour of this full flavoured quaility tobacco....lovely. It didnt burn hot at all, and i tend to smoke it a little fast. Mid bowl flavours such as roasted pecans and orange zest came through and the rich heavey smoke was once again complimented by a really nice tobacco flavour which most cased blends lack(cheap ones that is) I couldnt detect any latakia or anything exotic.It burned cool and dry to the bottom with no dottle or complaints, the smoking experience was memerable and satisifying, and under $20 a pound it will be a regular in my pouch.

SnakeSkinTa2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SnakeSkinTa2 (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have smoked pipe tobacco off and on for the past 28 yrs. I recently ordered 8 ounces of this particular blend using the reviews on this site as a guide. Black Velvet is a very pleasant smoke with a wonderful room note. It's a more aromatic tobacco than I had been led to believe it would be due to some of the reviews I had read before smoking it. I get none of the wet/soggy type of bowl I have experienced in the past with certain humectant laden aromatics. Black Velvet smokes cool as long as you don't make the mistake of drawing too hard or too often and stays lit when the pipe is packed properly. I can find no noticeable bite in this blend and I will add it to my favorites.

Phatmax Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phatmax (1)

My FIRST review!

I have smoked several different tobaccos, from the cheap Altadis to some better brands.

The pouch smell, well, to be perfectly honest, nearly put me off my lunch. I thought I had made a big boo-boo getting a POUND of this from the web for 16 bucks.

Turns out that not only does my wife and friends like the room note, this is a stellar blend. I enjoyed the smoke, the pipe stayed gurgle free (Brebbia 602 Sabbiata) and NO bite.

BBK357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBK357 (7)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

First let me say, I have been smoking pipe now for 4 years, and have been on this site now for well over a year, and I wanted to have multiple experiences with tobacco before I review it. When you open the tin, the smell does not win you over. It smells way too flavored, almost overwhelming. That is where my bad experience ended. The tobacco lights great and it stays lit with little effort. The taste is wonderful, and stays with you the whole time. It is a dark flavor, from the guiness. I love it, not sweet, but full of a robust flavor. Even with the wonderful flavor, this tobacco does not bite (unless you smoke it too fast, like most tobaccos). This is by far my favorite tobacco. It is not too light and not too strong, just right. I now have 8 tins stored in my chest for safe keeping.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (36)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Let me begin by saying that this is my second experience with aromatic English tobacco. When I opened the tin there was a licorice-type smell to me. I love black licorice and the smell made me hungry for the candy. Don't worry, the licorice is only in the initial opening of the tin. Now, my wife and I live in a rather small apartment, but she says that she could smell the aroma of the tin while in another room. The tobacco packs nicely and the moisture level is just right. The cut seems a bit coarse, but that seems to help with the burning characteristics. I only needed one match to get it going. The first thing I noticed was the sweet taste and the illusion of sparkling on my tongue. I love Guinness and the stuff certainly delivers the taste as you get going. The balance of flavors is perfect and slow puffing allows you to savor all that this stuff has to offer. The smoke is thick and creamy. And, when the smoke has left your mouth the after taste is truly like a beer! I would not have thought that such a thing was possible. The sparkling sensation abates about mid-bowl and the full flavor of the beer and tobacco comes into its own. The tobacco is top quality and the Latakia not over whelming. It simply adds to the overall effect. The Virginia tobacco is nice and is perfect for what this blend is trying to be. This is not simply mediocre tobacco with flavoring sprayed on it to hide the true quality. If you like full-bodied English or Balkan smokes, this will seem too light a fare. If you are an aromatic smoker looking to branch out into English, I would start here. Anyway, the smoke never loses its taste all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. What about the ash? Well, let me just say that a thing of beauty is a joy forever. The pipe is left clean and, believe it or not, unflavored by the tobacco just smoked in it. The Nicotine level is medium to me and the after-taste is very pleasant. The room aroma didn't win approval from the wife, but I have yet to experience the Latakia blend that could even stand a chance. However, I thought it smelled like a real pub with a mixture of strong tobacco and the scent of good brew. I would like to thank all of the reviewers here that turned me on to this stuff. Honestly, since my rather unfortunate bout with Cross-Eyed Cricket, I was turned off to such blends until now. For me, the count is 1 and 1 and I am ready for the next participant to step up in the Aromatic English genre!

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the kind of stuff that makes you glad you took up pipe smoking. Very tasty and the spices linger on your tounge for hours.

rexinator26 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rexinator26 (19)

Just got around to opening this tin and it smelled wonderfull.Loaded up a Bjarne Giant Freehand, let it sit/air out for about 15- 20 minutes, not that it needed too.My tin had just the right amount of moisture.Upon lighting the Guinness aroma was present and lasted all the way to the end(which I loved).About 1/4 of the way through there was a tart/tangy champagne flavor that lasted about 5 minutes, then it was back to the great Guinness stout taste and aroma.Only had to relight it 1x when I stopped for a lunch break.The tobacco burned to a fine white ash, never got hot, no tongue bite at all, and no one complained about the aroma.I really dedicated the time to sit back and enjoy this tobacco, and it was worth it.So if you like Guinness sit back, relax ,and enjoy this tobacco.Glad I have a few tins stashed away.

Flintlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flintlock (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I do not normally smoke English blends as most do not really smell too good, in other words, they stink! This is one that I am allowed to smoke in the house. Probably what led to to try it was the blend notes that said it is an Englisg/aromatic crossover. Not exactly the wife pleaser, but at least tolerable.

I do enjoy the taste of this tobac, maybe because of the Guiness topping which is one of my favorite brews. The latakia seems to be quite subdued too, which is to my preference.

I do recommend Black Velvet to those who normally smoke aromatis, but occasionally want to try an English blend without stinking up the house too much.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

The smell in the pouch was of dark chocolate and stout coffee, very much like Guinness itself. I did not realize it had been sprayed with Guinness as I was smoking it but it certainly seems obvious now. It does taste, as other reviewers have said, about as close to the beer as tobacco is going to get. The room aroma was of burnt coffee, not exactly a wife pleaser.

Although I very much enjoy the beer I didn't really enjoy smoking it, I will keep my Guinness in the glass.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

Black Velvet is a great smoking pipe tobacco that my girlfriend bought me for an early xmass present this past November at a pipe show in Albany, New York. It was a hit with my fellow pipe smokers at the shop. It has a nice roomnote and it has a very full taste. It is a little strong at first until you get towards the middle of the bowl, which would be the latakia in the mix. To describe this best, I would say its like drinking a Guinness Stout. I believe it would be best smoked in the fall. I will keep this in my private stock at all times. HAPPY SMOKING! MozzMann'06

jimbcac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimbcac (3)

Have been an English tobacco smoker for many years (Lots of C&D "Sherlock Holmes" style tobaccos). However recently Dan Boswell of Boswell Pipes sent me a few samples of aromatics that he thought I would like. I had to travel from Washington State to San Antonio TX. Did not bring enough tobacco to cover the trip. My brother a non smoker who lives in S.A. took me to a local wine/cigar store. The only pipe tobacco they had was Dans, two flavors. This one and some other one....Being that that was all there was and I liked the color scheme of the Black Velvet label better then the other one; ended up with a $10.00 50gm tin (ten bucks for an ounce and three quarters of tobacco, ouch, but that is ANOTHER story) At first I thought,, well Blaaah. Then after the tobacco setteled in the tin a few days, it was more of an ummmm. Now I buy it in the 8oz packet. I find this to be a medium bodied not to sweet, evening smoke. A bit tastier then Blue Note, and most comfortable. Burns cool, smokes to a fine ash. Has not quiet converted me from the Oriental/English blends but it is a nice start. At least now IM willing to admit there may be SOME value to aromatic tobaccos :) In that this was my first experience with primium tinned tobacco (oh what a pandoras box) it was good luck that lead me to grab the black and red tin, instead of whatever the other one was.. I think.. well one will just never know will one.

JiGB

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (37)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I couldn't finish the 50g tin, but I did smoke several bowls. The casing/flavoring disappeared about halfway through the bowl. What remained did not interest me.