A mild and pleasant mixture blended only from the best leaf of bright and dark tobacco grades. Made with a special manufacturing process in which the tobacco is pressed, and sprayed during maturation with Guinness stout and champagne. A sort of light English/aromatic crossover.

BrandTorben Dansk
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginias offer some earth and dark fruit, and a little grass and citrus. They form the base of the blend. The Cyprian latakia mostly just provide a smoky, woody, sweet push as a condiment. I suspect there’s a little sugary black cavendish in the mix. The Guinness Stout topping leads over the hardly noticeable champagne, and both sublimate the tobaccos to a fair extent. Not very boozy or quite as deep in flavor as one might expect. There’s also light undercurrents of coffee, caramel and chocolate. The strength is almost in the center of mild to medium, while the taste is in the center of it. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with fairly consistent taste, though the toppings lose a touch of potency in the last quarter of the experience. Leaves a little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste. Can be an all day smoke, and it won’t make you drunk when you smoke it. Two and a half stars.

Brandr ODS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brandr ODS (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Tolerable

Let's get started reviewing pipe tobaccos by talking about the very first blend I've ever smoked. As a newbie smoker, this blend was at first not so recommended by the tobacconist, but frankly, I ignored his advice and purchased a tin, and I’m grateful to myself I did!

Crack up the tin and sniff : you immediately get a bold smokiness that, at the time, I assigned to the Stout beer topping. Only a few days after I came to know it contained Latakia: you have to forgive me, it was my first Latakia blend after all…

In the bowl it develops a nice, thick, delicate and velvety smoke. In the mouth tastes bold, full and satisfying, never tiring or heavy on the tongue. Exhaling though the nose you get a more distinct and pungent note of smokiness and earthiness that tickles your soft palate, alongside with the fresh, bitter, roasted coffee-like aftertaste typical of a Stout beer. Focus a little more, and you’ll spot that fizzy hint of champagne lurking in the background.

I believe the winning factor of this blend is the perfect synergy that take place between the natural aroma of the Latakia and the right amount of topping that shows off its best mainly in the Stout beer aftertaste. A wisely aromatized Va-Lat blend, I’d say ideal for those who fancy to shift from aromatics to Latakia Bay.

Combustion not so uniform, not a clean smoke. Still, easy to keep lit. Just a few relight and you’ll be fine.

After a smoke of this, I used to crave for more, and that’s a distinct sign that a blend is good for me. Yet, I wouldn’t cellar this in order to age : I find it gives its best when fresh, or within 6-8 months from opening.

Cheers everyone Brandr ODS

Age When Smoked: Fresh, 1yo and 2yo.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The tin note comes across with a great vanilla, roasted malt and quality tobacco aroma. But the fun just begins at the tin! The rich flavors that develop through the bowl transcend the aromas in the tin. Rich vanilla, creamy malt, a hint of molasses, english walnuts, and plum. At times the pure quality tobacco notes take the lead, but can quickly be displaced by one or more of the aforementioned flavors. Whether intended as such, or not, it represents a wonderful expression of the art and science of the blending craft.

Pipe Used: Neerup, Peterson, MM

Age When Smoked: need de-coder ring; purchased 6 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

For the uninitiated, a Black Velvet is a cocktail made of 1/3 champagne and 2/3 Guinness. A fine beverage indeed! Sure, Guinness is a weird beer, completely different from the usual ales, lagers and pils: I happen to love its dark, subdued and refreshing taste, and its creamy foam. It is a stout, an almost black beer from Ireland, light in alcohol, subtly bitter and thirst-quenching. Given this premise, I thought I should love a tobacco topped with Black Velvet, right? Well, more or less... The blend is composed of virginia tobaccos with a light percentage of Latakia, flavored with Guinness and champagne during maturation under presses. It's difficult to think of it as "aromatic" anyway, as the topping is very light and Guinness in itself has not an overwhelming flavor. I'd rather think of it as a natural blend (an ultra-light English mixture) with an extra touch: a philosophy which is similar to the basic idea of GLPease Mephisto, I might say. The tin aroma is elegantly perfumed, in a very unobtrusive manner: hardly reminiscent of the real Black Velvet, but fine anyway, and with some attention you CAN get hints of wine and beer. After filling a bowl and lighting, you are welcomed by a VERY soft taste. You can't really detect either a strong sweetness/grassiness from the Virginias, or a distinct smokiness/nuttiness from the Latakia: both the distinctive notes of the two tobaccos are very subdued. Hey, even the topping is so subtle that you really can't pick it out precisely! You feel there's something there, but it's more of a delicate, subtle perfume (reminiscent more of the champagne than of Guinness) that perfectly integrates the subtle taste of the tobaccos. Where this blend really reminds a lot of Guinness, is in its very refreshing, subdued taste with echoes of slight bitterness on the palate. I am not saying that it TASTES 100% like Guinness, I am saying that it gives a very similar impression on my taste buds. Alas, while good, I can't say it's a completely satisfactory smoke, either: it lacks body and taste, and I guess that even as an all-day smoke it is too light and soft in flavor. Anyway, it is refreshingly different and unique, and I can't think of another blend with a similar flavoring. Every once in a while it may be a fine alternative, also because it burns very well and with a consistent flavor throughout the bowl (the same can't be said of most aromatics, which tend to get worse from half onwards): definitely worth a try, even if it doesn't seem to be available yet in the USA. But, again, it can't compete with a nice pint of Black Velvet (the drink!) with a pipe full of something very full and sweet to contrast its bitterness, like the wonderful Marlin Flake or another sweet pure Virginia. And just one more thing: my colleagues at work say that in spite of the subtle taste for the smoker, this blends stinks like all my other English mixtures! And, I should add, it leaves a rather perceivable Guinness taste in your pipe, so beware!

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Tin note is wonderful. Sweet but not off putting. Dry right from the tin. A mix of ribbons and chunks of flake. The initial flavour is wonderful. Subtle sweetness and a wisp of the casing. I love Guinness so that alone got my attention. I've moved this blend to a mason jar and am hopeful that aging will make it better. Worth a try.

Pipe Used: Several Pete's

Age When Smoked: 2 years tinned

Purchased From: Gift

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (23)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I had high hopes on this blend but it simply did not delivered.

Upon opening the tin, you will find a very dark blend. Eventhough Latakias is said to be present, it is not apparent on the tin aroma, and could not be tasted on the smoke either.

As with other Dan Pipe tobaccos, this is a very sweet rich aromatic. Is is somewhat complex, evolving a bit while it is being consumed.

But alas! the nicotine punch of this blend is too much for me. This is uncalled for, as it is a true aromatic, and no trace of the latakia can be perceived, not even too much of the virginas. Yet, no matter the pipe, time of day or previous meals, this tobacco makes me flip all the time. Probably its just me and my system, but I will stick to others Dan blends.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As a U.S. Marine in April of '82, I stayed in London for a few weeks and came to appreciate Guinness, at room temperature no less! All the British men were down in the Falkland Islands at the time and this is when I became a pipe smoker because I couldn't find my brand of cigarettes.

As an English smoker almost exclusively, I'm not crazy about aromatics. But this one caught my eye and I ordered a tin. Now I have a pound to refill my tin as needed. This is now my afternoon smoke with a bottled Guinness (still at room temp).

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

Black Velvet is a great smoking pipe tobacco that my girlfriend bought me for an early xmass present this past November at a pipe show in Albany, New York. It was a hit with my fellow pipe smokers at the shop. It has a nice roomnote and it has a very full taste. It is a little strong at first until you get towards the middle of the bowl, which would be the latakia in the mix. To describe this best, I would say its like drinking a Guinness Stout. I believe it would be best smoked in the fall. I will keep this in my private stock at all times. HAPPY SMOKING! MozzMann'06

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I couldn't finish the 50g tin, but I did smoke several bowls. The casing/flavoring disappeared about halfway through the bowl. What remained did not interest me.

This is a very interesting tobacco. It is a mostly Virginia blend with some Latakia and spread throughout is some cube cut Black Cavendish misted with some kind of Malt Liquor and Vanilla maybe? The presentation was slightly sweet and smoky, with some strength added by the Virginia leaf. As fine an English style aromatic as I've smoked.

Richard Jhonson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Richard Jhonson (13)

I love Guinness stout. I did not like the flavor of stout, or the smell of it in the tobacco. I could not detect the champagne. I did smoke the whole tin. It took quite a while. I only tasted the latakia after the tin had dried out completely. It was a mild taste at best. I like many Dan tobacco products, but I just did not get this one. For the record I don't like the whiskey flavored blends either. I think spirit flavors are better in a glass.

Please take this review from a non Aro smoker. That said, this tobacco came very dry and ready to smoke. One of my big complaints with cased Aros is that they are too wet, no so here. I also did not experience the typical bite that I get from most Aros, maybe because it was so dry. This reminded me of Sillems Black, but not as high quality and the Latakia was not as pronounced (sorry, but my tastes are diffrent than reviewer,"doc'spipe 02/17/2011" ) . I did get hints of chocolate that was very nice but didn't stay.For you Aro smokers I think this would be a 3-4 star , but for me it's a 2

I do love the little tin.

I tried this along with Dan's Da Vinci. Both were similar in overall flavor and taste. Black Velvet had a caramel-like tin note which translated into the taste - albeit minimally. If I didn't know there was Latakia, I wouldn't have guessed. However, knowing it is present is probably accountable for the slightly musty (but pleasant) taste. It was not the taste of Latakia in the traditional sense, so if that's what you're after, look elsewhere. A mostly dark offering and in many ways reminded me of Dunhill's Royal Yacht in appearance but not in taste. The smoking characteristics were fine - not hot, no moisture or gurgle. never ashy or cigarette-like. A very pleasant change of pace aromatic. Bittersweet, with the slight bitterness (in a good way) that I attributed to the Guinness. I could not detect any champagne in the tin note or while smoking. Along with Da Vinci, both are solid aromatic offerings and a go to for when one wants an aromatic that still retains tobacco flavor with Black Velvet having slightly more in the tobacco flavor department. Neither are candy-like in any way during the smoking experience.

UPDATE 2-17-12: It's exactly a year since my first review of this tobacco and I would have to say my favorite for when I want a cased/topped aromatic smoke. This is no Tinder Box type aromatic. It has a very tobacco-like presence which adds to the pleasant smoking experience. As I said a year ago, it is not candy-like. I prefer this to Dan's Da Vinci and Stanwell's Melange. Both of those are pleasant enough smokes, but Black Velvet gives you a fuller tobacco experience. For its genre, I prefer it to Sillem's Black (too Latakia dominant for me). Smoking this now from a tin that I opened 2-25-11 and let sit. With Irish Flake being a regular favorite, lighter fare usually doesn't do, but Black Velvet can hold its own for me. It is very nice indeed - mellow, no harshness, beautiful side stream aroma/room note, and very flavorful. It could become a regular smoke for me but I would smnot want it to wear out its welcome over time. However, it never fails to satisfy for that "change of pace" smoke.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This blend benefits from drying out and a gravity fill followed by very light tamping, in a size 3 or 4 billiard. Although I couldn't taste the latakia and had trouble reaching the virginia-ness of the virginia, I'm perfectly satisfied with the licorice-laced chocolate taste and aroma, which somehow does not cloud the good quality of the base tobacco. The nicotine is on the light side, which is how I prefer it. A very relaxing smoke, few relights and extremely smooth burning throughout the bowl (when dried out first). It begins grabbing you by the nose, but as the bowl progresses, the effect on the palate becomes stronger and more flavorful. I would agree with the previous reviewer who noted that it's a perfect "palate cleanser" for after dinner.

shudd3r2th1nk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shudd3r2th1nk (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant

had to air out the tobacco when i got it, slow sipping, no relights, delicious taste. smoking it in my stanwell vario.

i cannot describe how much i love the taste of this tobacco, highly recommended. exhaling from the nose, quite slowly, is a definite pleasure afterwards to the olfactory.

favourable comments from nonsmokers on the room note; sweet, somewhat nutty, a dark molasses & dark chocolate mixture.

Llewellyn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Llewellyn (9)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked some Virginia's and some English tobacco's, yet favour the aromatics by far. This tobacco seems to be the closest to an English and latakia I can get before I find them unpleasant. This is surprisingly one of my favourite smokes considering it's major competitors: W.O. Larsen's Signature Vintage Blend, Solani's 131 Red, and Lane's Black Cordial or Z-50.

I find it burns somewhat hot in the pipe and the mouth, yet smoothly down to fine ash at the bowl bottom. Full flavoured yet some sweetness. There is a good tongue tingle in the first quarter of the bowl. The more I smoke this, the more I become aware of hints of the stout and champagne throughout the smoke, yet never together.

A good after dinner smoke leaving the palate clean and fresh.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Not my typical type of smoke, I got fascinated by this blend because I do like Latakia blends, but also good aromatics. And I am an afficionado of the Black Velvet cocktail; my favourite proportion being 2/3rds Guinness with 1/3rd dry champagne.

Opening the tin, I get nothing of Guinness, but a decent, light and fresh wine-ish note, with a hint of cloves and (so hang me!) perfumed soap. The tobacco mix is a medium-wide short cut that is easy to stuff, mostly dark browns and blacks with a few bright yellow specks that must be VA.

Lighting up is not a challenge, but I need to re-light a few times during the smoke. The taste is where the name kicks in: it really does remind me of a Black Velvet cocktail with its smooth maltiness and winey notes. Dan Tobacco states that the mix is about 50/50 VA and Latakia. If so, the Latakia is the mildest and least smelly in the world; it is noticeable in the taste (gaining a little towards the end of the bowl) and only hinted at in the room note.

Which is definitely tolerable, with a nice fresh note (and I wonder if this is what Napa Valley could have been, if only...). The taste is among the fullest I have yet experienced from a Dan Tobacco blend, with only a hint of bitterness at the very end. This blend burns coolly as advertised, I have experienced absolutely no condensation -- marking it as one of the really good aromatics -- overall, a fascinating tobacco, almost unique. I like, but could use a little more Vitamin N, and I have so far not managed to smoke a bowl to the very end without some dottle -- my only niggles.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend i was worried about to be blunt......i had read some reviews and i worried this was going to be another brutal bulk blend mimicking flavours and sub par baccy.Upon opening the cheap celophane bag,i found the pouch aroma to be divine, it reminded me of fine espresso, anise and good dark chocolate. The cut reminded me of a crimp style similar to the prince, not to wide or thick(perfect in my books) it packed in the bowl well not too wet or too dry(perfect in my books again) upon lighting the flavour was exquisite and full bodied, the flavour was that of caramel, heavey cream(possibly condensed milk)and a hint of clove,the topping didnt inhibit or digise the flavour of this full flavoured quaility tobacco....lovely. It didnt burn hot at all, and i tend to smoke it a little fast. Mid bowl flavours such as roasted pecans and orange zest came through and the rich heavey smoke was once again complimented by a really nice tobacco flavour which most cased blends lack(cheap ones that is) I couldnt detect any latakia or anything exotic.It burned cool and dry to the bottom with no dottle or complaints, the smoking experience was memerable and satisifying, and under $20 a pound it will be a regular in my pouch.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Let me begin by saying that this is my second experience with aromatic English tobacco. When I opened the tin there was a licorice-type smell to me. I love black licorice and the smell made me hungry for the candy. Don't worry, the licorice is only in the initial opening of the tin. Now, my wife and I live in a rather small apartment, but she says that she could smell the aroma of the tin while in another room. The tobacco packs nicely and the moisture level is just right. The cut seems a bit coarse, but that seems to help with the burning characteristics. I only needed one match to get it going. The first thing I noticed was the sweet taste and the illusion of sparkling on my tongue. I love Guinness and the stuff certainly delivers the taste as you get going. The balance of flavors is perfect and slow puffing allows you to savor all that this stuff has to offer. The smoke is thick and creamy. And, when the smoke has left your mouth the after taste is truly like a beer! I would not have thought that such a thing was possible. The sparkling sensation abates about mid-bowl and the full flavor of the beer and tobacco comes into its own. The tobacco is top quality and the Latakia not over whelming. It simply adds to the overall effect. The Virginia tobacco is nice and is perfect for what this blend is trying to be. This is not simply mediocre tobacco with flavoring sprayed on it to hide the true quality. If you like full-bodied English or Balkan smokes, this will seem too light a fare. If you are an aromatic smoker looking to branch out into English, I would start here. Anyway, the smoke never loses its taste all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. What about the ash? Well, let me just say that a thing of beauty is a joy forever. The pipe is left clean and, believe it or not, unflavored by the tobacco just smoked in it. The Nicotine level is medium to me and the after-taste is very pleasant. The room aroma didn't win approval from the wife, but I have yet to experience the Latakia blend that could even stand a chance. However, I thought it smelled like a real pub with a mixture of strong tobacco and the scent of good brew. I would like to thank all of the reviewers here that turned me on to this stuff. Honestly, since my rather unfortunate bout with Cross-Eyed Cricket, I was turned off to such blends until now. For me, the count is 1 and 1 and I am ready for the next participant to step up in the Aromatic English genre!

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (36)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the kind of stuff that makes you glad you took up pipe smoking. Very tasty and the spices linger on your tounge for hours.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

The smell in the pouch was of dark chocolate and stout coffee, very much like Guinness itself. I did not realize it had been sprayed with Guinness as I was smoking it but it certainly seems obvious now. It does taste, as other reviewers have said, about as close to the beer as tobacco is going to get. The room aroma was of burnt coffee, not exactly a wife pleaser.

Although I very much enjoy the beer I didn't really enjoy smoking it, I will keep my Guinness in the glass.