Rare Virginias are spun into "twist" then sliced to the size of small coins. Each disk is a complete blend. Costly to produce, this spun cut can be smoked for its slow burning classic Virginia flavor or mixed into a favorite blend for a change of pace.

BrandPeter Heinrichs
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
CutCurly Cut
Packaging100 grams tin, 200 grams tin
Strength
Taste
2.9

The Virginias have a little citrus and some dark fruit, but I got more of a hay, grassy, and woodsy flavor from them. Also, a mild earthiness. The perique lightly gives the typical raisin and fig notes, and a very small amount of spice. It probably deserves two and half stars, but I give it three because of the quality of the tobaccos, and the ease of how it smokes. However, it lacks a bass note to prop up the flavor, and I'm aging a tin of it to see what happens in a few years. Has a low nic-hit. No chance of bite or harshness. The strength and taste levels fall just short of the center of mild to medium. Burns at a reasonable pace with a cool, clean, fairly smooth and very consistent flavor. Needs few relights and leaves little moisture in the bowl. An all day smoke.

Edit: 5-14-14. I've been smoking some of this aged, and it has improved quite a bit. Fuller in taste and spice after a couple of years, as I suspected would happen. So, I give it 4 stars for the aged version and greatly recommend aging it.

Cute little curly-squiggles in the tin with an aroma of the usual figs, raisins and various spices that is typical of a good VaPer (and not so good ones). Loads easily - really needs no rubbing out. I just tossed the coins in the bowl and fired up.

This appears to be the same thing as the current version of Three Nuns. I did one back-to-back comparison and am not sure I could tell them apart blind. This is a mildly spicy and sweet mixture where the perique is used sparingly but convincingly. It could stand to be a bit more flavorful but that's asking a blend to be something it isn't. This is an enjoyably light smoke with some zest to it. Unfortunately, it loses a star due to a moderate amount of tongue sizzle that it gives me for about the first 1/3 bowl. Of course, that's usually due to a chemical balance thing, so perhaps I myself lose the star rather than the blend. As my experience appears outside the norm, I can heartily recommend this to the smoker of mild VaPers. It's a good one that I'll likely never smoke again due to that sizzle. It occurred in each and every bowl I smoked. I smoked about 2 oz and gave the other 1.5 away.

Worth a try.

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Peter Heinrichs' Special Curly was something of a disappointment. Indeed, there's something of the original Three Nuns in this blend: the lovely small discs spun with some lose red ribbon and black strands. But the aroma in the tin, the flavor, and the strength has nothing to do with the nuns. If anything, SC is closer to Stokkebye's Luxury Curly Cut or Mac Baren's Dark Twist, than to those legendary Va/P blends such as Three Nuns, Escudo or Navy Rolls. Although there is no mention of Perique in this blend, there is certain piquancy in the background that suggests its presence. There's also some Cavendish (I imagine it's the lose black strands) that contributes to the sweet, pastry notes.

For all the luxury of this blend, and its very attractive presentation, the fact remains that it's far too mild and bland to truly enjoy it (at least for me). The dominating flavor is, in fact, the slightly sweet, chocolaty undertone of the Cavendish, rather than the mature and nutty taste of the Virginias. This blend produces a ticklish feeling in the tongue, probably due to the Perique, but it also bites and burns hot. Monochromatic and dull, it fails to deliver at least some punch. To sum things up: a very visually attractive presentation with no flavor to match.

If looking for something similar, but with a bit more of punch and structure, try Wessex's Brigade Sovereign Curly Cut. It's equally well done, and you do get the feeling of smoking something.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Heinrich's blends are not well known as importation has been sporadic over the years. All of the offerings are quite good and worthy of consideration.

These little curlies are superior in flavor if you like medium to strong Virginia/Perique as opposed to the sledgehammer hits some blends of this type produce.

Easy to stuff into your pipe, light and burn, Heinrich's curlies will remind you of Escudo (although Escudo is much lighter in both nicotine and flavor).

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

P. Heinrich's Curly is what I would categorize as a good middle of the road, mild to medium VaPer. Price aside, there isn't all that much here to differentiate Heinrich Curly from other blends in its class. The coin presentation is very well done and the VA flavors are quite reminiscent of Mac Baren's twist mixtures. In fact, if someone were to ask me to name the blender of this tobacco in a blind tasting I would almost surely say "That's a Mac Baren blend," as it has that characteristic Danish style light-sweet grassiness over mild even keel semi-earthy tobacco flavor.

Curly makes for well balanced pipe smoke and the perique presence is subtle at best, lending a sliver of spice that's on par with blends like Orlik Golden Sliced. Frankly this would make a good level entry VaPer or one that might be appreciated by pipers that don't care for much more than a trace of Perique, but I can't see too many perique aficionados falling in love with this.

Heinrich claims Curly is costly to make and the price definitely reflects that. The biggest problem here is that there are a plethora of excellent VaPers on the market, some for almost half the cost. This is high quality tobacco that smokes smooth with no bite or harshness and a subtle lingering sweetness.

ColinK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColinK (15)

This was my first taste of this one from a sample I received from a friend. I gotta say, it skyrocketed to one of my favorites very quickly. Took some lighting effort, which I found strange given that it was somewhat aged, but it took off once I got it right. Found this to be a complex mix of flavors that I tremendously enjoyed. Constantly changing in taste with sweetness, smokiness, pepperiness, and a HINT of sugar at random times just when it needed it. Always lingering through the bowl was an almost licorice backtaste that I generally don't like- but it worked well in this blend. I find it interesting the negatives on other reviews because it doesn't match up with or exceed another blend (in this case Three Nuns) and that reviews don't just take this blend for this blend. I guess I have the luxury of a tin of Three Nuns still uncracked in my cellar. This one experience will send me to the E-world to get a can.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Deluxe

Age When Smoked: Unknown- but some age

Purchased From: Gifted

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (263)

If I wouldn't know better, I'd think this is OLD LOUISIANA MIXTURE by Motzek. Got a generous sample of this, and the first thought when taking a sniff on the backy is "this is Old Louisiana?!?!" OLM has some Burley and Cavendish in it too, but really, the smell is EXACT the same. The taste differs a bit, but we'll get to that later.

Not to be confused with "Curly Block", this is a different blend. The smell from the bag is buttery, spicy with hints of pepper and a gentle sourness. The Curlys are beautiful and well crafted, and copious present. Only a few ribbons of loose tobacco to be found.

Pleasure to pack, easy to light, needs some relights but rather good burning characteristics imo.

Curly Special's taste is 90% like Motzeks Old Louisiana Mixture! The Virginias and Perique melt into a surprisingly different flavour, than you'd expect from your average Va/Per. This isn't fruity, like a lot of Perique blends are. It's deep spicy. Good pepper from the Perique melts with the buttery, decently earthy and only slightly sweet Virginias. Also hints of raisins can be found, which I think are from the Perique. Like OLM this is VERY buttery in taste, very rich and refined. A tad of nuttiness is also present throughout the smoke, but not as intense as in OLM.

Taste-wise, OLM ad Curly Special are REALLY(!) close to eachother, and if I wouldn't know better, I'd think this is the exact same mixture. Heinrichs gets their blends are mainl produced by K&K (Curly Block f.e. is produced by Mac Baren), but Motzek produces them themselves, so it can't be that they're the same.

For my personal taste I find Old Louisiana Mix a tad better than Curly Special, as it's a whiff more butter and also has a more nutty quality to it. Curly Special is like a slightly toned down version of OLM, which doesn't have to fear the comparison to OLM at all!

3 stars for my personal taste, as I find OLM to be better - yet full 4/4 stars to be objective and honour this blend as what it is: A top-notch, sophisticated and genuine blend, that's far from your average Va/Per expierience and most natural in taste. It (just like OLM) taste like pure tobacco, not even honey, nor sugar to be found in the taste.

A must try, for any Va/Per lover! A great introduction into the world of Perique for any novice.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Royal Star 338 (briar)

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The references to Three Nuns of long ago are not justified in my opinion. This is a mild blend, whereas Three Nuns strength was medium to full. The taste is mild to medium, where Three Nuns was medium to full. The nicotine is light, whereas Three Nuns could make your head spin. But the differences are what make Curly Special so appealing to me. Curly special is tasty, with the perique used so sparingly that you hardly taste it. But you know it's there. This blend burns cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl. I rub out the disks and pull the ribbons apart till I have a shag cut, which eliminates blasts of perique and produces a smoother smoke. A good choice for those who like their pleasure on the mild side and I'm one of them. Update: My only caveat is to make sure your pipe is very clean. A wonderful blend. One of my favorites.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have been working through this massive tin and it has been great. at $35 a tin this is a major commitment, but well worth it. People compare it to Three Nuns, and I catch passing echoes of Nuns here and there in the smoking, but this is no clone of that venerable tobacco, do not buy it expecting such (even though I did). It is nether as deep nor as dark as Three Nuns, more sunny and with a nuttier flavor and a somewhat honeyed/fresh mown hay sweetness. While there reads no perique in the description, there is a stewed figiness at times that make you question whether it's there or not. The overall character is of a bright, fresh tobacco-y smoke. Very pleasant and relaxing.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

Any fan of pure Virginias must try this blend. Although it contains some Perique, its presence is not very noticeable. Remember Perique is a spice tobacco, and a good spice like salt is intended primarily to bring out the flavors of the main dish. And this dish is delicious, obviously comprising some very high quality Virginia leaf.

The little curls in the tin are quite beautiful actually, smelling of fresh hay and grass. There is no smokiness, no topping that I can detect, and the Perique is not evident in the aroma. Just fresh sweet tobacco goodness.

No problems lighting or keeping it lit. As the bowl warms up the flavors develop into some of the richest pure Virginia flavors I have experienced. The taste is rich and pure, and - for lack of a better word - clean. There's no cloying sweetness, there's no ashy aftertaste, just flavor, and lots of it. The flavor stays quite consistent through the whole bowl, and even gets a little toastier near the bottom.

This one must be nursed very gently. If you use your best Virginia technique, sipping gently and keeping the briar cool, then you will be rewarded with what may be one of your best VA smoking experiences. It was for me anyway. Is it worth the higher cost? Of course! It's like ordering steak instead of pasta. Both are good, but once in a while you want to splurge. Problem is, this is good enough to be a desert island smoke, as in, an all day all week smoke. I need to stock up!

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In the tin it has a faint chocolatey aroma which does not come through in the smoke. A light sweetener has been added. This starts out a little nippy, but quickly settles down. The problem for me is that this tobacco does not have the depth of Virginia flavor I am looking for. There are some sweet tobacco notes here and there, but all in all, it is bland. I find no similarities whatsoever to Three Nuns, past or present. It is not that it is a bad smoke; it is just not a very good smoke. Paddy.

I received a 20g sample in bulk form. Many of the perfectly formed, dime sized discs had unraveled into ribbons prior to my receipt. If purchased in a tin, this may not be any concern. However, since I prefer not to rub out my blends, this resulted in uneven or difficult packing and spotty burn in the bowls. The taste was of quality VAs and was quite uniform within a smoke and from pipe to pipe. This could be a + or - depending on your preference. I found it rather flat overall. Other straight VAs are more enjoyable for my tastes and much more interesting. Certainly, with this blend @ ~ $68/# in 11/02, others are surely more affordable. In this price range, I'd choose Reiner's Long Golden Flake every time.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff comes in 200g tins. Upon opening, there is a very lite, naturally sweet, well aged Virginia aroma. I am not sure if there is a topping here or just an outstanding natural Virginia! It has a very nice appearance with curls about the size of quarters among partially rubbed out (probably just unraveled)discs. Colors range fron yellows to light brown. There is no perique here and I don't detect any burley. Moisture content may be just a tad on the moist side if not just right. For the most part it rubs out quite easily. Some of the discs require a bit more effort than others. I like the feel of the tobacco. It has none of that sticky topping feel. It is a bit warm on lighting but quickly settles down to a very nice smoke! It is slightly complex smoke with several different flavors on down the bowl. This is a dry smoke and is very easy to keep lit. There is no negative aftertaste and, for all of these reasons, has become one of my very favorite smokes. I have put quite a few of these tins away for future enjoyment. In one word to me - seductive!

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A natural Virginia sweetness, more vegetable-like than sugar, rides below a grassy, woody flavor. The tin doesn't list any Burley or Kentucky leaf, but I get hints of smokiness and the nutty element that I often find with those components. I get some Perique pinch, but not much. There is a low-level flavoring that I can't identify, but it seems dark and sweet in a way that works with the woodiness of the blend. I give it only 2 stars because it stings the soft tissues of the mouth and throat in a chemical/pH way -- and it's not the same sensation one finds with piquant, racy, straight Va's.

Pipe Used: GBD squat bulldog; no-name meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 2 years after purchase

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Little to rave about with Curly. Classy packaging. Then there's the cute little coins that could be loaded as is. I thought I was ready for something great. Whoa. Hot pipe city. I found it's dime-sized pieces need rubbed out or there's one unforgettable tongue bite. If rubbed out completely, it is a nice, mild blend with grassy notes and a small measure of perique for some added contrast. Mild as a Va/Per gets. Plenty of floral, bready tickles to the palette. I think one could easily smoke it all day and I'm sure there are Va/Per fans out there who would enjoy this. I wouldn't call it anything close to remarkable, but it is a worth loading in your second tiered briars when properly prepared. Those who can't/won't enjoy mild blends are going to be left wanting more. I like it best in a Canadian or a billiard.

Pipe Used: Billards mostly

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Unknown.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)

I'm not sure where to score this tobacco. Quality is high, presentation, a mix of intact coins and ribbons, is nice. No humectants. Top quality stuff. I don't really detect any topping.

This reminds me of McConnell's Scottish Cake, actually. Has a sweet/musty Virginia smell when you are smoking. There are some darker, richer, almost toasty notes in the taste, but for the most part it's a "dry" va/per, similar to Escudo.

I prefer Mac Baren Club and Dark Twist, which indicates to me that my tastes in this realm run to the slightly sweeter.

For a straight Va/Per lover, this tobacco is no doubt going to be a 4 star affair. I happen to like the bastardized versions which Mac Baren offers quite a bit better!

As for a similarity to Three Nuns? Who cares!