Aged cakes of red Virginia and fire-cured dark Kentucky tobaccos give this full-bodied, flavorful flake an unusually rich and naturally spicy taste. Not for neophytes, this one satisfies with old-fashioned deep taste. Good outdoors.

BrandPeter Heinrichs
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
Packaging100g Tin, 200g Tin
Strength
Taste

One word...EXCELLENT! I have wanted to try this for the longest time but never found it in stock anywhere. The other day I read on a forum that Smokngpipes.com just got a shipment of PH tobaccos in. I ordered a 200gm tin immediately and on the same day of the post. And after getting it and trying it I immediately snagged another tin before its's all gone!

I opened the tin and was greeted to a very nice presentation of broken golden and black flakes, all from what looked to be broken squares. The moisture content was just right for smoking. The tin aroma on deep sniffing had a subtle sweetness and I picked up notes of molasses-caramel and licorice in the background, very subtle and only on deep inhalation. Loading and lighting were no problem. What a beautiful smoking experience this is. It has a very subtle sweetness with hints of licorice (way in the background). It imparts a very nice spicy presence to the tongue. Nothing chemical or medicinal in the taste profile. There is no bite, bitterness, moisture build up, and it doesn't smoke hot at all. Overall, very pure in tobacco taste with a subtle sweetness. The leaf quality is top notch. I would not classify this as an aromatic at all. This is better than Mac Baren's Stockton (which I happen to enjoy) and what Solani Silver Flake tries to be, but is too bland for my tastes (see my review of Silver Flake). It has similarities to the Edgeworth Sliced of old as well, but DSF is sweeter.

I am happy I have a 200gm tin and one on the way (it seems to go out of stock as soon as I place an order). My main concern is availability, but I like it so much that I would be willing to order it directly from Peter Heinrichs in Germany - it is that good. Can be an all day smoke for me and definitely a desert island smoke. 5 stars hands down!

The Red Virginia adds much of what sweetness there is. It's a bit subdued by the Kentucky, but that's not a complaint. I consider the RV to be more of a condimental addition. Is it the very same tobacco as the Orlik Dark Kentucky? It sure looks and tastes like it, though I thought the Orlik Dark Kentucky was a slightly sweeter and easier on the tongue when I compared the two blends some years back. This flake seems just very slightly harsher. In a blind taste test, I doubt anybody would notice the difference. If it is the same now, then buy it and age it; it's better with age, even though it's good fresh from the tin. It's very satisfying if you like tobacco in this genre. I do like the Orlik DK better, but that was then and this is now.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

The Good - Immense flavour from the Kentucky which also drives this hard with the Vitamin N - The Virginias come through and are not over-shaddowed by said KY - High quality tobaccos throughout - Almost smells like an aro. Wifey even commented it smells sweet and syrupy. I haven't cooked at the contents, but I assume there is sweet Black Cavendish - Will not bite or get dirty no matter how hard its pushed

The Bad - uhmmmmmm. Expensive, and can be hard to get!

Overall Sublime from start to finish. Packs and lights well, perfect moisture, sumptuous VA's with natural sweetness. This tastes identical to the now OOP Orlik Dark Kentucky. Smokes clean and true throughout to a fine ash, and although there is a nic hit, its not overwhelming whatsoever.

A keeper, and among the finest KY based smokes of all.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney

Similar Blends: Orlik Dark Kentucky.

Britannia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Britannia (9)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Extra Full Overwhelming

Opening the tin you get an immediate smell of licorice along the lines of all-sorts. Smells delicious and the tobacco is broken dark and light flake. On light is where the problems begin, you immediately get a strong licorice taste, one the few tobacco's that deliver what it advertises BTW, and it goes south from there. The smoke degenerates into an acrid hot smoke all the way through. Tongue bite started about halfway through the bowl for me and that's when I called it quits. No thank you on this blend.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: John Haynes Tobacconist

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (18)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There is something very special about this tobacco. The tin note is amazing...like a sugary bread baking. That sweet yeastiness comes though in the flavor as well. While not overly stout, there is a strength to this blend that some may find overwhelming. Smoked as a flake, the flavors are subdued. Rubbed out, its a myriad or sweetness and smokiness. The flakes tend to fall apart, separating into small, narrow flakes, of alternating light and dark. One of the best tobaccos out there...

Wawalsh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wawalsh (7)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Wow, the reviews are all over the place for this baccy. I for one, absolutely love this blend and have spent the last 6 weeks finding as many tins as I could buy. In fact, I have smoked this almost exclusively for 6-7 weeks. I find the taste full with little nicotine. I love Petersons Perfect Plug and Old Dark Fired but the nic hit is too much for me. If all I could smoke was this and McClellands Christmas Cheer 2011, I would be a happy camper.

oc_in_fw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oc_in_fw (1)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a noted Latakia fiend. This tobacco has none, so I had my doubts. I find the mild sweetness pleasant. When I retrohale I am reminded of old leather bound books. It is a cool smoke. This is the first non-Latakia blend I have like. I will buy more.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

This is one of a kind. The square flakes with one half dark and one half light is unique in my book.

I had ordered Orlik's Dark Kentucky once and then been told that it was discontinued. So I was happy to hear this was the same manufactured fo PH.

I found the tin a bit difficult to open with a coin. The tin aroma reminded me of Amphora Black Cavendish: licorice. The flakes were on the dry side and ready to smoke immediately.

The DFK has a good presence that envelops the tongue with a taste of aged BU - nutty & spicy - and I can taste the licorice which is not overwhelming but definitively present.

Smokes well, has a sweet side from the casing and does not bite.

I like this flake very much. It brings a nice balance between my liking for an aromatic and a tobacco without a casing. And the vitamin N is just right.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For those of you who lamented the departure of Orlik's DSK, you can take heart. Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake is the same tobacco. I don't mean that it's the same in the sense that it's "like DSK". It is DSK; made by Orlik for PH. So in looking for reviews on this tasty flake, refer to Orlik DSK.

I am smoking through a generous sample sent me by a friend. It has been an enjoyable smoke. The red virginias are sweet and a little heavy. There is a mild topping I claim bringing out the sweet, but it does not contribute a honey or similar taste. The DFK gives it some spice and a characteristic nose "tickle."

In terms of flavor, it reminds me a little of a smoother, more refined Superior Round Sliced. The flavor profile has a little more depth.It is a great blend, and I found the smoke improved in the course of the bowl. There was no bitter in the profile even in the last few puffs.

FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (9)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I scored a 200gm tin on EBay last week and wasted no time in trying it out. There was only a year on this tin so I’d call this pretty fresh tobacco.

I found this to be a nice change of pace from my regular rotation of English, Oriental, MV and VaPer. The tin aroma is a nice and strong with a fig or raisin fruit smell mixed with the sweet Virginia. I just let it sit on my desk for a while and enjoyed the fragrance while selecting a pipe.

I have tried the flake as a flake and rubbed and found that it required several lights either way but less relights when rubbed. The charring light and first 2/3 of the bowl are very pleasant with many flavors. The bottom 1/3 of the bowl had a unique tangy sensation that at first was not pleasant but not unpleasant … just unexpected. I will need to try this blend in several size pipes to find the right combination.

I will use this tobacco as one of my change ups and I think I’d consider buying more someday, but it will take me a while to get through 200gm.

2 out of 4

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bent Dublin

Age When Smoked: about 12 months

Purchased From: EBay

Stonewall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stonewall (1)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I had great expectations for this blend. I received approximately one ounce of this in a trade with another pipe smoker. The appearance was very pleasing, visually; dark, broken flakes, with a moderate amount of moisture. The note was very pleasing as well, Rich, earthy, with a hint of raisin. Lit easily. Upon first try it started as promising, but the flavor, what little there was at first lighting, quickly disappeared. I found this tobacco to be extremely bland and flavorless. It burned hot in every pipe I smoked it in no matter how deliberately slow I sipped away at it. Being one who smokes flake tobacco almost exclusively, I found it to be very disappointing. I will try it in a clay once more to see if it remains consistent with my previous experience. I'm just not getting this for whatever reason and I wish that weren't the case.

Pipe Used: Peterson 305, Peterson 317, IMP Meerschaum

Purchased From: Received as part of a tobacco trade

Similar Blends: Nothing I've smoked....

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Reminds me of Orlik's D-K's little brother who just has not come of age, he's trying, but still can't get the girl, join the squad and has to stay home on weekends and play videogames all night. The flavor was ok, the burn and smoke volume were soso but if I had my druthers, I'd just smoke Orlik.

Smoke in peace, brothers and sisters of the leaf.

portugesepride Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
portugesepride (7)

I enjoy this blend terribly. I get a slightly different experience with each pipe I try it with, and I am never displeased. And I have found the best way to smoke it. After a big draw, exhale half through the nose, then through the mouth. I swear that combination tastes just like a fresh cup of coffee!

Beautiful looking square cut flakes, half dark and half light, sitting in a paint can. I've not yet smoked Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky (I have a tin percolating) so I can't comment on its similarities. But I can certainly hope!

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a very pleasant aroma of various spices that, as usual, I could not pin down. As nice as it was, I was hoping it didn't translate into the smoke, and it complied nicely. I did need to dry out the flakes but I found that I preferred this slightly more moist than the usual tinder to which I dry out flakes. The flavor was lightly sweet and earthy, a nice deep taste that was not too powerful. I did not notice an over-abundance of nicotine. The taste was natural tobacco with pretty liberal hand on the spices and a touch of sweetness. Dark molasses comes to mind. Oddly enough, I would not characterize this as rich or too strong for most people. Try this for something a bit different!

Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This does indeed come in a nice paintcan tin and the seal is great. It is very attractive with the flakes being very light on one side and then darker on the other side of the same flake. This looks and smells just like Orlick's Dark Strong Kentucky, only this is sooooo flat...insipid...boring...a waste of time. I loved the aroma, but there was nothing for my palate. It burned well enough and yes there was some sort of sweet casing...maybe maple? I found this to be just so flat, so minimally satisfying that a second and third bowl did nothing, but start to give me slight tongue bite. This reminds me a great deal of MB's Navy Flake, another ho-hum flake. Decent volume of smoke, but not as much as I like. It burned well and relights counted not many. I won't be buying this again but thought the sweet/nutty aroma saved this blend and earned it two stars.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my 1st venture into the world of P.H.tobaccos. First off, love the paint can tin! Seems to seal better than most onced opened. The cut of the tobak is beautiful as it is similar to others in this category. Upon opening the tin, it is a bit on the moist...and yes fruity side. After the charring light, it is a bit spunky but, can be tamed with a slower draw. It seems I have to really hit this one to get any real flavor going. Just not what I expected but, who knows, a little more age might do it justice. Only available in 200g/100g tins. Silver Flake is a better choice IMO.

Singerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Singerman (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If you?re a VA person then give this some of your time. On opening the tin the usual fruit and spice is there but as already noted it does have that chemical (creosote) smell. Don't be put off by this it doesn't come out in the smoking of the tobacco.

Smoke it slowly and it will surprise you. You?ll discover a complex series of flavours (that I find intriguing) showing up and dissipating as the bowl lowers.

The only real downside is after finishing the pipe you are left with a clammy orange peel taste in the mouth.

I've personally got over this problem by permeating the tobacco with Jack Daniels (not too much) this makes for a sweeter fruiter smoke not to everyone?s taste but fun none the less.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a very unusual flake. It is mostly dark, yet lightly stoved Virginia with some bright and Burley added. It is unusually strong in taste, yet the nicotine hit was only moderate.

There is casing in this blend, but it is very difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the smell and taste of the casing was too much for me. It was almost, well, perfume like.

Lastly, this one had a chemical makeup that made my tongue tingle -- not quite bite, but something that I prefer to live without. Not a terrible tobacco to smoke, but it will not enter another one of my pipes.