Classic golden brown Piedmont and Old Belt Virginias. Natural tobacco only, this slow burning, mild yet flavorful cut plug is a favorite with traditional flake lovers.

BrandPeter Heinrichs
Packaging100g Tin, 200g Tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Hard to believe this hasn't been reviewed in 7 years! At any rate, this is a "paint can" 3.5 oz job of basic virginia flake in an LGF-like long bar that is wrapped in a circle inside the can. Tin aroma is sweet grasses and light citrus. The flake is mostly golden brown with specks of darker brown.

This is about as basic a VA flake as you can get. No top notes or casings, the lemon VA exhibits a nice grassiness with a fair bit of citrus. It resembles Orliks OGS in a way but nowhere near as citrusy. This is more laid back and "rootsy". A great all-day blend or a nice intro to virginias. It's a bit too relaxed overall for me but I could see this as a nice morning smoke. Interestingly, this one smote all attempts at DGT but at the same time, I could beat this one up a bit with some aggressive puffing and it refused to bite too hard or go sour. In fact, it became more interesting as a whole. I'd recommend this one to smokers who puff somewhat fast, but it seemed to emit most of its flavors at the usual slower pace. Not the most refined or most flavorful but certainly one of the best behaved straight virginias I've ever smoked. I'll pull this out of the cellar from time to time when I need to wind down.

This Golden Sliced is shockingly mild. I never have tasted a more flavorless flake tobacco. I cannot compare it to any other Virginia Flake I've tried.

If you like your Virginia Flake tobacco on the mild side, you'll appreciate this one. Personally, I like my Virginia flakes to slap me around a little bit.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This, like Reiner Long Golden Flake and other German flakes of this ilk, is a visually beautiful flake. Though mostly bright virginias, there are also slightly darker brown flecks also. It looks like what it is-- a very high quality German-made flake.

It's surprisingly mild when compared to a number of similar flakes from the same tradition (that K&K, Rudiger Will, Peter Heinrichs-- generally, that northern German school that centers on K&K). It's delightfully grassy (in a good way) with occasional citrusy notes. It's a fundimental virginia flake-- not dressed up with a honey top-note or Perique or dark-fired leaf, this is as classic as a Va flake can get.

It won't supplant some of my favorites as an all the time smoke, but I'll continue to revisit it. It doesn't have quite the heft that LGF or 633 have (two of my most regular smokes), let alone the Samuel Gawith or Gawith, Hoggarth and Co flakes which I also like. I find it pleasant as a morning smoke, before my taste buds can handle a heavier blend.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Having an unopened can of this, I decided to give it a try over the Thanksgiving holidays. Upon opening the tin there is a somewhat sour aroma. Judging it from the aroma, I did not think I would like it at all! It comes in very attractive rolls, 2 per tin, that are about 2 inches wide. Moisture content seems perfect. It reminds me of "Reiner Long Golden Flake" in appearance.

Golden Slice is very easy to rub out and packs easily in the pipe. It burns very well and smokes clean and dry. I usually use 4 to 6 pipe cleaners per smoke. This required an average of two per bowl - WOW! The great surprise for me is how much I like this stuff! The flavor is a naturally sweet Virginia with a light nutty flavor. In fact, this is a light smoke all the way around for me - a definite all dayer! There is absolutely NO bad aftertaste! It smokes very cool even when the bowl gets a bit warm, provided I tamp correctly, and tastes great all the way to the bottom of the bowl! It puts out a fair bit of smoke and burns to a nice white ash. I do not detect any perique.

I have tried several bowls of this over the past several days and have enjoyed it every time. If you like a mild, natural Virginia flake, you simply MUST give this one a try! This is another tobak that I highly recommend!!!