A connoisseur's natural blend of Virginia and Curly Cut, with Perique and Syrian Latakia to enhance the taste but not overwhelm. Round, full flavor for sophisticated pipe smokers, yet a pleasant, classical "tobacco shop" aroma.

BrandPeter Heinrichs
Strength
Taste
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
2.5

This has a dry taste with very little sweetness. The spiciness and raisin/fig flavor of the perique, and the smokey, woody, dry Syrian latakia slightly overpower the grass, hay and citrus of the Virginia, but you will notice it as a base for the other components. I also sense a slight soda note. This is a straight forward English blend with mild complexity. Don't puff it too fast or it may get a little warm/harsh on your tongue, though it won't bite. Burns at a moderate pace with a fairly consistent flavor. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. The nic-hit is slightly more than mild. Has a nice after taste. Not quite an all day smoke.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Again, I'm not really a English smoker and only like English blends with very little (syrian) Latakia in it. So again take this review with a grain of salt, as I'm not to versed on English blends with Latakia. But on my last visit at Peter Heinrichs I've felt like grabbing a sample of this. Curly Cut...Perique...just very little syrian(!) Latakia...what could go wrong?

Well...nothing! This blend is quite a pleasant surprise to me and I enjoy it a lot. Sticking my nose into the sample baggie, I perceive a lot of Latakia, which first scared me, but the fear was for no reason after I smoked it. Woodsy, dry and smoky notes from the Latakia, underscored with little sourness from the Perique. A tad of sweetness in the back.

The Curly Cuts are intriguing, mostly brown with some black speckles in them. Brown- and bright brown to yellow leaf dominates the apperance of this tobacco, and only very little black speckles are in it.

First light reveals that this blend contains a little more Latakia than I'm used to, but not too much that it would turn me off, like "full grown" English blends with high Latakia amount would. The Latakia instantly offers a creamy, almost buttery smoky, woodsy, sour and dry aroma and gives body to the blend. The Perique is barely detectable and only sports a slight (pleasant) sourness that's in the back underscoring the Latakia very well along with minor fruity notes of figs. Virginias are more prominent and offer citrusy-sweetness, and a bit of grassiness. It almost feels like there are Oriental leafs in it, but I guess that's the interplay of Latakia and Perique creating a dry, sour and woodsy aroma. It has decent (also slightly peppery) spice to it, which makes it a nice treat after a good meal!

Pleasantly mellow, with the Latakia taking more of a backseat as the bowl progresses. I'd describe this blend as "mild English" and a nice entree-level blend for pipe smokers who want to dig into English/Latakia blends. Pretty similar to Motzeks "Old Curly Mixture" - not only because both contain Curly Coins in it.

I actually enjoyed this blend a lot and by times I'll pick up a tin of it I guess! Confused by the rather low ratings, I'll give this a 3.5/4 stars rating to support this lovely (both in taste and appearance/craftsmanship) blend and say: "Hey...this is a delicious smoke! Go try it if you can!"

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

Similar Blends: Motzek - Old Curly Mixture.