A Mixture of finest English type, mixed in old copper drums. The best tobaccos of the world, Red Kentucky, Virginia, Turkish, Carolina Black and Syrian Latakia give this natural English mixture the the mild till medium taste volume.

BrandPeter Heinrichs
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Kentucky, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste

This is my favorite of the Heinrichs English blends. This has a complexity the other company's English blends lack, though I admit I haven't tried them all. The Turkish tempers the red Kentucky sweetness a little and gives a tasteful dimension to the latakia and Virginia. There's a decent amount of smokey latakia, but it's not a lat-bomb. The Virginia has a grassy, hay-like flavor, well suited for this type of mixture. It burns well and is very consistent from top to bottom. Why this blend isn't better known or more popular escapes me.

A very refined English. The tobaccos are well fermented and married to the extent that I have trouble separating them. I can note a few things though. There's a really nice sweetness that's counter-balanced by a sour note which seems to be from the Orientals. There's a nice nose tingle here from a mild spiciness. The Latakia is, at first, subtle then comes along nicely in balance with the other components. Very smooth and smoky. Nice and complex flavors overall.

Mildly moist from the tin, but lights right up and burns readily. Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. This blend reminds me a little of the Germain English blends. Just a wonderful smoking experience. I'm betting that this will age very nicely. Will be stashing some. If you like your English smooth and refined you should give this one a try.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

OomPaul Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OomPaul Guy (4)

Smoking a bowl as I write this review. I bought this blend because I couldn't get my hands on any PH Dark Strong to try. Sometimes second choices turn out to be a really good thing! Great smell out of the tin. Nice cut, easy to pack and light. The Latakia is a predominant feature, very pleasant but not overwhelming....and I LOVE Latakia! The Orientals are pleasantly noticeable, giving a nice tingle to the tongue. No bite for me, but I suspect it can nip if one doesn't mind their Ps and Qs. Goes very nicely with a good strong cup of black coffee. If you make it a Mocha, you may have found nirvana! Glad I bought this and will definitely purchase more. Great smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli "Roma" 614 Oom Paul

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (40)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I have now smoked two Peter Heinrichs english blends and, although I didn't find them offensive or anything, I found them both to be somewhat strange. First came #169 - dark in color and tone it was of medium strength and somewhat flat in it's english qualities. Both it and blend #39 have a casing that we reviewers cannot quite identify; very light and sweet and probably a simple sugar-based solution. This casing is very fleeting and is gone before the first quarter of the bowl is finished.

So, that's the background to this review. Now, let's examine this tobacco: same difficulty prying the paintcan lid off as in #169, same sweet casing fragrance, same brown and black appearance, but this time a more narrow and normal ribbon cut. Let's load-up and smoke. Not bad, the blend is somewhat sweet but definitely an english - rather nice. Hmm, it smokes and tastes like another english blend I have tried recently - Hearth & Home's Ambassador's Blend, only not as strong.

This lack of comparative strength becomes important in what follows. Like with any new blend, I relaxed and waited to see what happens next. This is what happened next - nothing. My first bowl was in a Northern Briars medium sea urchin that I bought two years ago from The Pipe Tart at the 2011 St. Louis show. Although this pipe has a narrow but deep chamber that always makes it a good blend-testing tool, by the one-third point of the smoke nothing came through the stem that I could taste or smell! This blend just became weak early-on and proceeded to get weaker and weaker. By the half-way point of the bowl I couldn't detect anything - I couldn't even tell if I was smoking a pipe, other than seeing my exhaled smoke! I've rarely had this happen in my pipe smoking experience. The only other occurance that comes to mind was a roll-up pouch of Schipper's Tabac that I smoked as a graduate student - bland and tasteless and best enjoyed rolled as a cigarette with a glass of beer. Next I mixed #39 half and half with H&H Ambassador's blend, since they seemed similar in aroma, thinking the stronger H&H tobacco would kick things up. This mixture was stronger than the #39 by itself and pleasant but, by the one third point of the bowl, it began to fade in taste and settled down to a tepid english smoke - very strange.

Somewhat recommended - two stars.