Virginia tobaccos of best provenience with Burley, a little bit Black Cavendish and Latakia. Glowing slowly and cool in the smoke. English aromatic.

BrandPeter Heinrichs
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I like the sweetness that the burley, BC, and Virginias give you. There is a nice, even consistent taste all the way down though perhaps the end is slightly harsher, but barely noticeable. It is a cool smoke, and the latakia makes its presence known without obstructing the other flavors. It sort of strikes me as a distant cousin to Black House, though I think Black House to be a better, more rewarding smoke. The concept of English aromatics took me a little time to appreciate, but this is a fine one to try if you want to explore that genre.

peacepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peacepipe (16)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This almost falls into a grey area that I call "tobacco shop blends," those big-jar offerings where you can lift the sealed lid and get a pleasant whiff. On opening the unpretentious 100g 'paint can' style container (coin or screwdriver needed to pop it with each opening, actually a good, tight seal with excellent moisture retention), you get a warm, inviting aroma of latakia-enhanced Virginias with a the noticable sweetness from the Maryland. It almost seems as if it could have some sort of sugary, cavendish-like touch but that is most likely the Maryland talking, a leaf that I'm quite inexperienced with.

I need to find a method for assessing 'room note'...until then, I can't say much about that in my reviews.

The charring light produced for me a light bite, a wee bit harsh at first, but soon after settling into a pleasant, mild sweetness with the latakia married nicely to the other elements; I'm able to puff away for a good while when it reaches this groove. I found that this blend presented me with a slightly harsh beginning, a pleasant middle, and the return of just a little bit of that harshness again when reaching the dottle; one of those blends that you might not feel too badly about tapping out before smoking straight down to the heel of the bowl ...

Peter Heinrich's 164 is great if you seek rather mild, sweet-ish 'Anglo-American' blend, to borrow the very accurate phrase in the blend's initial description above. It could even be good for an aromatic fan seeking to test the waters of Engish-type tabacs. I'll enjoy this whole tin over a few months' time and may end up purchasing some more again in the future, though I won't be rushing out instantly to get more.