A fine English Mixture from very broad Virginia in the 3 mm cut, torn leaf, hand-graded. Full bodied but light on the tongue, with broad cut Virginia, Oriental and selected Syrian and Cyprian Latakia.

BrandPeter Heinrichs
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Mild, Medium, Strong
Taste
King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (28)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Although I have known of Peter Heinrichs tobacco blends for a long time and had a copy of their large glossy master catalog for the last several years, I don't remember ever possessing one nor finding anyone who offered them for sale. So when I found four tins of No. 169 for sale on ebay and knowing that it was an english blend, I bought them. I set one back for myself and offered the other three on my table at our 2013 NASPC show. From 9 AM to 5 PM I had one person who payed any attention to them at all and he complained that a German-speaking friend of his translated the German language in their catalog as being very different from the English language also in their catalog!

After the show I decided to open one of the tins to get some answers. I had a lot of trouble prying the paintcan-style lid off with a blade screwdriver and even more trouble getting it back on for a seal. What I found was a darkish tobacco with some lighter elements in it made up of some ribbons, some shags and a curious number of irregular rolled chunks that, when unrolled, looked like they had been cut (or torn) by hand. The mixture was adequately moist and only had to be dried for a short period of time. I agree with another reviewer that there was some form of topping but it was not heavy-handed and had either no noticable aroma or, at least, very little aroma. I also agree with the reviewer that it is probably a water-based solution of some sugar content.

So I loaded up and had at it. In keeping with its appearance of mostly dark elements with only a smattering of blond material, it smoked with a low register that was more broad than deep. The latakias were present at all times but not overpowering and the oriental was there in the background. The virginias are dark and stoved, which gives it the low register and makes it a very different english smoke than something like Magnum Opus or 965 or most other english blends that a lot of us have smoked. This blend smokes much closer to the old Bengal Slices that we smoked back in the old days, only not quite as latakia strong.

Although I can recommend this blend to english smokers in general; be prepared - this blend is strong in a way that might not be as familiar nor enjoyable to the average english smoker. Oddly,it might just be appealing to those of us who like a darker stoved-style virginia smoke. I am now enjoying blending with this tobacco and give it a solid three stars.

The latakia and oriental notes play off the Virginia base very well. There's not much complexity to this compared to Black House or Torina, but it has a pleasing Balkan taste, and a very mild sweetness. The description claims this is full bodied, but I would say it's not quite that - close, but not quite. No lat-bomb for sure. I consider it to be a high quality blend that, for some reason, doesn't get more attention. It's well made, but there are other blends out there that resemble it in taste, so maybe the fact that it doesn't stand out and shout "I'm different! Smoke me.", may be why it's not more popular. But it's worth the money and I've enjoyed it every time I've bought a tin.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A fellow pipesmoker buddy of mine picked up a tin of this tobacco to try, (as we always sample each others new acquisitions), and gave me a bit to try.

I packed a medium bent pot and proceeded to light. Lighting was easy, (one re-light only), and the flavor from the get-go was slightly sweet on the palate. I could taste a mild fullness of the blend with a sweet note playing in and out as I proceeded down the bowl.

Virginia and the casing used seem to be the main characters, with the Oriental and Latakia components playing a background, secondary role

As for the casing? Maybe a simple sugar, nothing with a distinct flavor, pleasant, not overpowering.

The ash is grey and I did not encounter any 'gunk' in the heel upon completion. A nice change of pace that does not offend the household.

Full bodied, but on the medium side.