An excellent mixture, these darker tobaccos from Georgia and Kentucky with a quantity of Black Golden Cavendish are mixed with a blend of naturally sweet classic Old Belt Virginia and a spicy touch of Louisiana Perique to give this tobacco its cool, mild bitter-sweet aroma.

BrandAshton
2.3
pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Spice flavored blend. This is the opener of the aromatics for the Ashton numbered blends. I don't care for the spice flavor and it ruins a good blend.

JohnnyO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyO (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Scored a 1998 tin of this off of Ebay. I found it a bit complex and hard to describe as well. I did not detect any anise flavoring but it smelled very sweet in the tin, almost like honey or caramel. The blend did not bite but can nip a bit, and it usually smoked cool with only slight gurgling here and there. My first bowl started with a tease of virginia sweetness that soon went away into a spicey virginia/perique tobacco. Smoked in a larger bowl it is rather bland and tastes mostly of cavendish tobaccos. Yet another bowl started sweet and spicey and developed into a sour smoke. I guess it just has to be in the right pipe at the right time, otherwise it is bland and sour. If you can hit that sweet spot it's a 3 star tobacco, otherwise I'll keep it at 2.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Somewhat similar but less flavored than Type 3, I find this blend hard to define. It's got the same anise flavor, but it is less pronounced, and the perique is more noticeable, making it, along with Kentucky, a slightly more bitter smoke.

Not bad for a change of pace from whatever you enjoy smoking everyday, be it aromatic, Virginia or Latakia, but nothing to stick to.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

As with my review of Type 3, this is an older tin with about 9-10 yrs. of age on it. This is more full flavored than #3 and has a bit more Perique spiciness to it. Opening the tin reveals a "mixed cut" tobak of colors ranging from blond to black. I detect an Anise-like aroma but it's very light. Seems to be a stewed fruit note to it as well but this also is light. Packs well, moisture level is OK but one may want to give it a bit of drying time. Lights easily and burns evenly. Bit of VA tartness at first with spicey notes here & there, and the suspected Anise topping is not really all that evident. I guess you could say this is a very light aromatic, but the natural tobak flavors are there and come out within a few minutes of lighting. Nice flavor of fermented VA's and I think some nutty burley is poking around in the background. This is mildly bittersweet with the Cavendish accent showing up now and again. Bit of a gurgle at 1/2way point, one cleaner, no worries. This settles into a rich VA smoke after about 1/3 of the bowl and retains a natural tobak flavor the rest of the way to gray ash. Smokes cool and leaves the pipe dry. I had no trouble with bite but if pushed I think this could nip your tongue a wee bit. I don't know about and cannot attest to the newer "numbered" offerings, but these older Ashtons are quite tasty and I will enjoy the ones I have left. Another reviewer has tried #5 & #6 but I haven't yet. Time will tell. This is good though, and worth a try if you can find older tins. Works for me.