Inspired by the 30's and 40's Swing music from the CD of the same name, our master tobacco blender has created this raven black smoking mixture full of aromatic mysteries. Smooth and creamy black cavendish with a few tips of fluffy golden Virginia, topped with a most refined flavour composition of tasty wild forest berries. Slow burning with pleasingly cool and gentle smoke full of fresh aroma and wonderful scent. Hellishly mild and heavenly delicious. There's music in the air.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Manufactured ByDan Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringBlackberry, Blackcurrant, Cherry, Fruit / Citrus, Honey, Raspberry, Sweet / Sugar
Strength
Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste

2.7
Strong Very Strong Extra Full Strong

The first thing that hits you is the fruity sweet toppings, and the aroma out of the tin is strong and intoxicating. Various berries, cherry, vanilla, spice, sugar, butter, honey, caramel, and Lord only knows what other flavors are in here. Once in a while, I got a little grassiness from the Virginia, but not often. I don't notice the black cavendish, so I assume it provides smoothing sweetness. Has a medium nic-hit. Won't bite or get harsh. It burns at a moderate pace and fairly cool, but will quickly ghost a briar. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights as it tends to burn wet. The after taste and room notes will linger. Not an all day smoke.

I tried several different times over the course of a couple of years to smoke this, but it’s just not for me. It is a quality product, and I can see why dedicated aro smokers would rate this as three or four stars. I'm a little uncomfortable slapping a one star rating on this blend, but I just can’t handle smoking it. Usually, I rate tobacco products against others in their genre, and NOT for my personal preference, but this is a case where I'm just not able to do that. If you can handle this blend, you’ll find it a more pleasing experience than I was ever able to.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Mild Extra Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

This is a "top cased" Aromatic. I propose it as a Benchmark in Aromatic Tobaccos, together with Larsen's Signature.
Is an worderful mixture,one of my favorites.
Strong flavour and taste. Notes of Fruits, Flowers, Caramel, Butter, Sugar. Seems an popourri or tutti-frutti...
I advertise that for enjoy this blend, is necessary that you like aromatics so much...
Simply, the most flavoured betwen all the Aromatics.
One of my Favorites, Fully Reccomended. 4 Stars.

Pipe Used: 2, Stanwell and Savinelli

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: Tabacaria Virtual,Porto Alegre,RS, Brazil, tabacariavirtual.com

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

A dark mixture with a few yellow bits which adds visual interest.

Smells and tastes like blackcurrant cordial to me. Which is a good thing. When I go to a tobacco with a strongly sweet aroma I want it to have a strongly sweet flavour too. Along with Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evening this is one of the few aromatics I have found were the flavour not only matches the smell but is also delicious. Nor does it require you to smoke it at a snail's pace to avoid a scorched tongue and a spoiled flavour.

Good stuff.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A previous reviewer claims this is a "shallow tobacco for shallow people."..... Okay, call me Pipeshallowstud then because I liked this blend.

Another member here offered a more legitimate review and really nailed it when he said this was similar to G&H Firedance Flake. While Firedance Flake has more strength, this offering has more flavoring. Devil's Holiday reeks of quality leaf and a natural, fruit taste which certainly makes its presence known. It was moist right out of the tin, but after spreading some out on a paper towel and letting it sit for a couple of hours, I found it dried more quickly than I had anticipated. I do think this helped a great deal as more of a tobacco taste was noted. My first bowl was straight from the freshly opened tin and I was overwhelmed by the topping.

If you enjoy cased blends made with really quality leaf, then Devil's Holiday may take you for a ride to Heaven.

Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is a very unusual blend. If one does not like aromatics then this is for sure not for you and you might as well move on. Because this blend is for sure an aromatic to the highest degree. At first, I was given a bowl to try and well, was a little put off by it, too aromatic. A few months later, I was gieven a full tin of this in a trade and thought, well, I will give it a test to review and give the rest away. But the more I smoked it, the more I need to try another bowl and now I have almost emptied the tin. Now I must say, I like all tobacco types so I am totally unbiased when it comes to reviewing tobaccos. The most striking feature I have noticed with this blend is that even though it is a very strong aromatic in flavor, forest berries in fact, it has none of the gunkiness of a lot of aromatics. I have smoked every bowl down to the bottom of the bowl to a dry grey ash with little if any dottle. Can't say that about to many aros. Next, it does not getstronger or bitter as you smoke it down. So it is quite the aro.

It smells very Koolaide like in the tin and is a pretty mix of flake tobaccos running from black to golden in color. It does not need to be dried out as it is not wet or goopy and is very easy to pack and light. The room note is incredible. In fact I have drawn several bees to me while smoking it. It takes a little time to get used to the forest berry flavor, but it actually grows on you. I could not make this an all day smoke as it is too over the top and I like to taste the tobacco, but it is a pleasant now and then smoke. All in all, I do recommend that those who smoke aros to give it a try, it is different, tastes like it smells and it will not turn your pipe soggy.

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)
Mild Extra Strong Extra Full Pleasant

The tin note was overwhelmingly fruity. So much so, you knew this blend is absolutely saturated. Sometimes the strong tin note doesn't transcribe into the smoke - well this one did. It was just simply too much, with too much casing. I could not discern the nuances within this one, it was simply in your face, take as much topping as you can handle. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy a good aromatic, but this is one that is over the top in trying too hard. It lacks tobacco nuance and the overpowering flavoring gets old real quick. If you can discern any individual flavors other than "berry", you have been gifted with some outstanding taste buds!

Pipe Used: bjarne, rossi, la strada, red point

Age When Smoked: 0-3 months

Purchased From: P&C

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Having tried Blue Note, it is a wonder that I had yet to come across this blend. Based on the previous reviews, I was surprised that the tin aroma was not as strong as I expected. Just as with Blue Note, the leaf is of high quality. This is however a much darker more dried fruit smelling kind of leaf. The mixed corse and ribbon cut strands are surprisingly dry to the touch but noticeably coated with some substance (top casing I would guess). Fruits and berries (mostly raspberries), some dried fruits/figs, and the slightest hint of whatever gives Blue Note its candy like aroma. Overall a high quality tobacco with an easy burning leaf, moderately cool for this aromatic of a blend, and a room note that is pleasant to the majority of bystanders. A good blend for the Virginia lover that needs a public friendly option (but still heavily aromatic of course). On par with Blue Note in quality. Maybe a bit preferred due to the cut, leaf, and smoking properties.

Pipe Used: Hardcastel: Sandblast ; Joao Reis: Canadian

Age When Smoked: Recently Opened Tin (24 to 48 hours)

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (27)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I as some have noted here kind of liked the tin appearance--so I said--what the heck--go ahead, and give it a whirl. I had read the reviews here, and was VERY skeptical about even trying this blend. Well I must say my tin when I opened it was very good as far as moisture, and it required no drying out before I put it in a pipe. Also when I put my nose to the open tin I really liked the smell. When I lit my pipe up I was actually surprised that in fact the taste was actually pretty darn close to the smell of the tobacco when I put my nose to it. The berry taste in my tin was not very over powering, and as I got to mid bowl it got better, and a little weaker. It also finished off nice to the bottom of the bowl, and did not leave my pipe bowl all nasty with goo that some aromatics are noted for. I know there are some really mixed reviews here on this blend, but if you are into aromatics, and I am one that is usually not, but love to try ANY pipe tobacco just to see what its all about---as was already stated it is worth a try. For the most part it isn't all that bad at all. For those that like the Dan Tobacco "Malonga" you may also like this. I have tried quite a few of the Dan Tobacco blends, and they are pretty decent. I would actually say that I would consider another tin down the road when I am in the mood for an aromatic--by far not the worst tobacco I have ever smoked.

Just an update--I recently once again tried this again. I guess my tastes have changed, but WOW--a very cloying, and heavy berry flavor that totally dominates this one. I previously found it ok, but holy cow--if you like a heavy aromatic this is for you. I only enjoy aromatics once in a while, and this one is just too much berry for me as it totally smothers any real tobacco flavor for me. It also ghosts the living God out of a Briar pipe. I MUST state--it's a high quality product, but I would only recommend it to those who like a heavier aromatic tobacco blend. If you like berry--this is berry at it's best. If you are on the fence with aromatics you may want a little less aromatic flavoring. This one is a power house berry aromatic. It is cloying, moist, and I found it needs smoked very slow so as not to ruin, and over heat the tobacco rendering the flavors into steam, and unenjoyable.

nyed001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nyed001 (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When I opened the tin all you could smell were the berries.Something came up and I didn't have a chance to light this one up for about a week.It didn't seem to completely dry out when I reopened the tin. It packed and lit easily but needed just one re-light in a Pete's 2nd billiard.It wasn't too sweet for an aromatic and to my surprise it didn't burn hot at all.The first tin didn't last very long and occasionally I like to smoke this one right after the dinner dishes are done.The berry smell reminded everyone in the house of the potpourri my wife likes to put out in trays. I've picked up 10 more tins and have added them to my small collection. I would highly recommend this blend to any aromatic smoker or anyone else looking for a change.

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I'm definitely one of those lovers of this unique aromatic tobacco. I always have trouble finding aromatics that are classy and quality. I just like having a couple on hand for when the mood strikes, so I am very particular about what I invest in. Devil's Holiday is pitch (fork) perfect for my palette, and it is unlike any other I have tried. Yes, berry; yes, premium tobacco...but what you don't hear is how sinfully decadent it makes your pipe smell and taste. It's like how those chocolate dipped cherries smell. Just fantastic. I definitely recommend picking a dedicated pipe for this one, as it may ghost - but that is one marvelously wicked ghost. I love what my dedicated pipe smells like, and my pipe bag, too. Absolutely a huge advocate of Devil's Holiday. Truly one of a kind, and a sure bet for someone who is looking for just one or two aros to have on hand. Great tobacco. A+

Pipe Used: Orlik

Age When Smoked: Fresh; aged 2 years

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Chocolate covered cherries.

Firdaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Firdaus (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

The first time i smoke,i try to find which one is the best aromatic tobacco. Then i try this and i feel lot of love with it. This is the best aromatic tobacco i have smoke. Sweet smoke.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Age When Smoked: 29

Purchased From: Kamelah Tobacco House Malaysia

brainexhaust Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brainexhaust (5)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

As noted by others, this tobacco is not for those who don't enjoy aromatics. Since I gravitate toward fruity aromatics, this one is right in my wheelhouse (although I hate that word).

I think I am addicted to this blend. Picked up a tin at my local B&M and it was love at first light. I would agree with those who noted a bitterness on the finish, but it is pleasant. Not unlike a good IPA. I am on my second 500 gram bag over the past 3 months. Yes, it's that good.

A warning though. It will fatigue your taste buds.

Pipe Used: Best in a meershaum

Purchased From: Internet Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Utterly unique..

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

if you like over the top goopy aromatics, this is for you. For everyone else I'd say there are twenty better options. Dan Tobacco makes some great non aromatics, but their aromatics tend toward the very sweet and goopy.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

Smells great in the tin, and in the pipe. As for the taste, not bad, but not great either. This gave me some pretty good tongue bite. Will I try it again? Definitely, but it wont be any go to tobacco for me. Something for the days when you want to please others while enjoying the pipe. Thats pretty much it. I wanted to give this a glowing review after all the positive comments I have read, but that just didnt happen.........sorry y'all.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Estar

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Devil's Holiday has always tasted best to me on a clean palate, smoked in a solitary moment without having had any other tobacco before it. It's best enjoyed in a pipe made from a more neutral tasting material. I have had most favorable results rendering its delicate flavor using a well seasoned cob, which is perfect because I never smoke blends like this in my briars, ever.

A semi-sweet, thin black cavendish flavor with a high note of berry, accompanied by a subtle tanginess is mostly what I taste here. The room note is truly delightful. It burns fairly well, although it does generate some heat, so it needs to be smoked slow. The smoke is smooth and fragrant with no bite and very few off-flavors. The bottom portion of the bowl gets bitter and I typically end my smoke at that point regardless of what's left.

Overall, this is a mixture that the ardent aromatic smoker will likely enjoy. Those looking for much in the way of actual tobacco flavor will more than likely be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Cob

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Dan tobacco devils holiday is truly a hodgepodge of flavors and smells. The tin note was just of a mixed fruit flavor with a caramel topping. This blend is very unique and I would say a must for aromatic smokers. The tobacco is easy to pack and keep lit which is always a plus for pipe smokers. The taste is just of a mixed berry medley and it is delicious. The flavoring isn't overwhelming there is still a tobacco taste to this, but it actually reminded me of smoking sheesha. Overall a true treat for any pipe smoker who wants a break from their English's, Virginias, vapers, kentuckys, Balkans and burleys. So enjoy everyone this one is a good one a day type of smoke I just can't see smoking this all day though. Also will ghost a pipe you have been warned.

Pipe Used: Royal Danish 986

sagepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagepipe (13)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Strong smell of berries and figs when opening the tin. When smoked, the room note and flavor are a bit calmer and full of depth. Great balanced aromatic.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

If smoked with caution, this blend will not bite. Tin aroma reminds me of grape bubblegum, and is terrific! Great for an after dinner smoke. Room note is superb, with thin, whispy smoke.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

I enjoy good aromatic tobaccos but couldn't handle this one. Too sweet and extremely cloying. Too much berries and not enough tobacco. I turn slightly green just thinking about the overbearing sugary berry aroma. If you want a classy berry/cherry tobacco, try Karl Erik Private Blend No. 16.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have had this on my tobacco counter at home for five years. I like the tin art on this. As for the tobacco, terrible. If you blend this into another tobacco you will ruin it also. It smells so good in the tin, as for alot of aromatics. And again, as in most aromatics, the smell does not translate into flavor. To be fair, I am not an aromatic smoker. I like the flavor of tobacco and I love nicotine. That is why I smoke pipes and cigars.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This was one of my first tobaccos. If you are a connoisseur of aromatic tobaccos, this blend is for you. This tobacco has gotten many many compliments concerning its room note, but it is by no means one of the best. It is great for those just starting tobacco.

It is like putting candy in your pipe, and if you like that sort of thing then buy a tin. But be warned, this tobacco leaves one hell of a ghost in your pipe. It would be wise to dedicate one pipe to this blend because the taste is extremely hard to remove. Cheers.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

The art work on the tin is pretty cool. This is a fun blend. Much like Solani X Mystery and Treasures of Ireland, Devil's Holiday has very natural tasting berry flavors. I really like these blends that burst with flavor, without being too heavily cased. None of the standard goop in many Aros. The flavor leveled off halfway through the bowl and then I could taste some quality black Cavendish. The tin aroma may turn some people off, but taste of real tobacco may turn some on. As always, it is a matter of personal taste. For a change from the norm. Devil's Holiday is winner for me.

Similar Blends: Solani Mystery x.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is a great CAO tobacco to add to your ever growing list of fine tin tobaccos. I thought this smoked great from start to finish and had a great roomnote. It is very flavorfull and the wild forest berries are fully tasted through-out the smoke. I recommend this high quality tobacco to anyone who is enjoys rich aromatics! MZMN 8-24-06

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I do not typically smoke aromatics, but my tobacconist asked me to critique a sample of this for him. I was very pleased with this tobacco. It smokes very well, with very little moisture. It has a very nice sweet flavor and aroma. It is supposed to be cased with flavoring of wild forrest berries, my guess was vanilla and cherries, but nevertheless I really enjoyed a bowl of this tobacco. I give it my full recommendation to aromatic smokers.

By the way I live in the U.S. so apparently this finally arrived.

AusEng Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AusEng (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Smells great out of the tin! Strong berry smell, but not fake smelling (i'm looking at you, cheep cherry)

Top cased Aromatic. One of my favorites. Consistent Smoked fresh, no drying A little wet, smoked slow, no tongue bite

Purchased From: 4noggins

sjdugi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sjdugi (22)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I've never smelt a more pleasant tobacco out of the tin! The tobacco is just barely too moist to smoke straight away but a few minutes of air drying will do the trick. Some really great flavor in here, though as others have said, the berry is by far the most dominant one and the others are quite subtle. I really think you need to be retrohaling when smoking this blend to really get the most out of it (taste and nicotine alike). While I tend to shy away from aromatics, I'll always have space for Devil's Holiday in my cellar. It's a cool smoke, packs a decent punch for an aro, and smells great. What's not to love?

Sokkia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sokkia (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

My first tobacco since been a pipe smoker. the taste and flavor is good to me and the room note just nice. a good blend for aromatic.

Pipe Used: Ebony Bent (D Brand)

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: Gulamsa

Wally Quevedo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wally Quevedo (3)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

It was a gift from a very honored friend: in a pleasant afternoon he came to my house to visit me and showed me this adorable blend. He gave me some sample, and I'm smoking it for about a month.

The wife got really impressed with the fruity fragrancy, which brought a real curiosity. The tobacco burns well and slowly, thanks to a good moisture, and it's flavour pervades all the mouth in the first whiffs.There's tolerable bitterness, not very marked, but a remarkable spiciness, similar to the pepper, who grows slowly through the smoking.

As I said, it is a spiced tobacco, and brings flavours of red fruits who remembers a fresh homemade pie. I think it can do well with salty appetizers or a rough drink, like cachaça.

Pipe Used: Ebony Bent (D Brand)

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)
Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this tobacco for the first time, when I had a sweet tooth.

Opening the tin, an intense, pleasant, and fruity fragrance fills the room reminiscent of red fruit jelly. Overall, this broad coarse cut tobacco, consisting of Black Cavendish and Virginia, has a dark appearance with different shades of black and dark brown with sprinkles of tan.

Filling your pipe is easy, lighting as well. At first the flavoring seems overwhelming, but after a few puffs it mixes nicely with natural sweetness of the tobacco. This is what I really like about this aromatic: You can still identify its tobacco taste underneath the rich fruity casing, and the flavoring stays with you right to the bottom of the bowl. It's a smooth, creamy smoke, that needs to be enjoyed slowly and coolly. It might, however, ghost your pipe at least for a while.

The room note is much less fruity than you'd expect, but still sweet and very pleasant.

Fans of English tocabbos will shy away from this one. But if you like high quality aromatics, this will be one to check out.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Lilje

Purchased From: www.danpipe.de

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I bought this based on the reviews that claimed this tobacco to be 'heavily cased'. I thought I was going to get a berry tobacco in which I could taste some berry.

What I ended up with was a shadow of a memory of a hint of a whisper of berry. I can hardly taste berry (or tobacco for that matter) at all. There is not even a room note of berry. The predominant flavor in this tobacco is WAX PAPER.

I guess Dan has joined the long list of other tobacco companies in pandering to the people who want their aromatics to taste like squadron leader (i.e. hot air - no taste at all - not even tobacco).

Dan, please put the flavor back in and stop using wax paper in your tins.

This is what seems to be a disturbing trend. If you dont want to taste berry/apple/vanilla/cherry/orange then dont buy berry/apple/vanilla/cherry/orange tobacco DUH!

If you only buy aromatics to draw attention to yourself then complain that you can taste berry/apple/vanilla/cherry/orange, well - grow up and stop ruining it for everyone else, and tobacco companies, stop listening to them.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

When I opened the tin I was very surprised at the sweet candy aroma...right away I thought to myself I have to order another. It reminds me of wine gum candy. I've tried several bowls and though it is a very unique tobacco I think for me I'm going to age it a bit and use it sparingly. It does leave a residue in the pipe and the taste stays so I would recommend using a special pipe with this blend. The filter got really blackened by it which surprised me as did the pipe. I can see why it is so popular but I personally would only smoke it once in awhile. It maybe too much for some people's taste but I think it's worth a try if you like aromatics.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Update 12/24/2016-As a Christmas blend , from the same tin with 5 years of age, it's now very smooth and interesting. Obviously the topping has mellowed. More "Christmas Treey" rather than luden's cherry cough drops. Maybe should move this to 3 stars ?

original: Tin aroma= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. Taste= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. Room Note= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. Would rather buy= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. Easier on the tongue= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. I do like the little round tin.

I think if you were a beginner pipe smoker or looking to impress the ladies, than this is a good choice, but I wouldn't want to be in a small room with someone smoking this.

Age When Smoked: new/ revision, 5 years

thefoolish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thefoolish (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

One of the things that gets to me is when people write a review knocking a tobacco for the type of tobacco it is: English, aromatic, etc. A blend should be judged within its field, and that is how I will attempt to rate this blend.

First of all, the tin just looks great and inspired me to try it, along with the irony of ordering this blend on Christmas Eve.

Upon opening the tin, I was hit by the powerful aroma of berries, sweet and ripe. I really enjoyed the nose, though it did smell a little overly synthetic.

The leaves came out of the tin after a little over a month of having the blend at basically a perfect smoking quality: still slightly moist, but dry enough to be lit well, with limited relights.

The sweetness of the tin aroma transfered to the smoke, though not nearly as overpowering, to my taste. Don't get me wrong, it was sweet, very sweet, but not enough to stop me in my tracks.

The room note was really nice; it was one of the few blends where I fully enjoyed the smell while still smoking.

This wasn't the best aromatic I have tried, but it was enjoyed, and a really nice blend to use to celebrate International Pipe Smoking Day.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (30)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I had such high hopes for this blend. I just loved the tin artwork and the concept sounded very intriguing. The actual smoking, however pleasent, was not what I expected. I expected a fruity aromatic that I could enjoy as an all day smoke. I got a fruity aromatic, but with such a heavy casing that it was sickening. It is like having a piece of candy that is excrusiatingly sweet. I'm talking even sweeter that pure sugar. That was Devil's Holiday. This blend would be okay as a once and a while blend to those who are completely in love with aromatics, but I would stay away from it if you only want something to change the pace. On the major upside though, my fiancee enjoyed the smell emensely, so this blend is a green on the wife rating.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)

A tasty aromatic that's perfect for after dinner. I found that it lit well, and didn't need much maintenance while being smoked. Would go well with a nice cup of tea or coffee.

Mild Extra Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is a wonderful aromatic blend with an extremely heavy casing of sweet forest berries, it tastes very fruity, sweet and creamy.

I find this tobacco very entertaining for the palate, it gives me a "happy feeling" and good mood.. , also it has an attractive room note. all in all this is the best fruity aromatic blend I have ever tried, I would highly recommend it for aro smokers.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

If you like aromatics great and if you don't, don't buy this tobacco. The aromatics in this blend are over the top, yet I can taste the black Cavendish and the smidgeon of Virginian leaf. Without a doubt I can taste berries, big time. If your looking for a big nicotine punch, it will fail you. I would say this tobacco is whimsical there's nothing serious about it, it is a big shot of berry flavor. I did a get a sense I was smoking tobacco during the second, third of the bowl. No goop remaining in the bowl. It is quality tobacco with quality casing and quality topping. If you don't like fanciful aromatic tobacco, save your money and time reviewing. But if you think you would like an aromatic spree, go no further.

Oh, and if your going to submit here, please expound on your position in sentence form too.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)
Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Though moist in the tin, it is not sticky or wet, and it burns well immediately without further drying. Unsmoked aroma is certainly raspberry or some mixture of berries but the flavour when smoked is a little less specific. The room note is acceptable to non-smokers indoors. I'm currently using it to build a cake on a very short Bjarne poker that is simply too hot smoking to fill with the uncased varieties I most often prefer. I do find it satisfying overall, though. Give it a go next time you want an aromatic bowl.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (17)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Pleasant

This is an exceedingly sweet berry flavored cavendish blend. The flavouring is very strong, but you can catch the taste of the tobacco in the background. It would not bite me, and I was all but daring it to. The one downside I have found with this blend is that it leaves a ghost that Pac-Man would be afraid of (Glad I tried it in a Grabow). If you are looking for a fruity aromatic that is actually of good quality give it a try.

Edit: what was I thinking? It has been years and I still can not exorcise the ghost of this blend. No. Just no.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When preparing stuff for my vacation I bought this blend just because of its name. And I was not disappointed - this tobacco is just right for smoking pipe in hot Summer day at sea. Mixture is on my surprise very welcomed by other people and it still posses enough body to be interesting. Highly recommended for people who enjoy aromatic tobaccos.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I noticed the composite score for this one is 2 stars. That is right on the money in my opinion. I will smoke up what I have and doubt I will buy more, unless....... it grows on me which has happened before so I won't write this blend off out of hand.

Tin Aroma: Wonderful berry essence, aromatic fans will love it. Aroma burns off quite a bit by 1/2 bowl. Dry smell, if that is possible.

Taste: Very mild but surprisingly, a bit harsh and dry in flavor. Tastes like Cavendish that has been desiccated somehow. Once in a puff I get a slight bitterness, very odd and not to my liking. Dry.

The mix is visually appealing with mostly black cav. with a few blond VA strands mixed in. Dry.

The smoke is without the creamy roundness present in many other cavendish mixtures I have enjoyed. A little vanilla would have made this one a knock out. As it is, the berry essence is a little "Thin Tasting" and "Hollow" for me. Dry.

Did I mention it has a dry taste? ;)

I am going to mix this with a little McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish and see what happens, I may mix them and press it for a few weeks with a little white rum to marry the flavors.

I think that will be either a stunning success or a disastrous failure, no in between.

We'll see :)