Inspired by the 30's and 40's Swing music from the CD of the same name, our master tobacco blender has created this raven-black smoking mixture full of aromatic mysteries. Smooth and creamy Black Cavendish with a few tips of fluffy Golden Virginia, topped with a most refined flavour composition of tasty wild forest berries. Slow burning with pleasingly cool and gentle smoke full of fresh aroma and wonderful scent. Hellishly mild and heavenly delicious. There's music in the air.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Manufactured ByDan Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Blackberry, Butter, Caramel, Cherry, Coffee, Floral Essences, Fruit / Citrus, Honey, Molasses, Other / Misc, Sweet / Sugar
Strength
Taste

2.7
albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Mild Extra Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

This is a "top cased" Aromatic. I propose it as a Benchmark in Aromatic Tobaccos, together with Larsen's Signature.
Is an worderful mixture,one of my favorites.
Strong flavour and taste. Notes of Fruits, Flowers, Caramel, Butter, Sugar. Seems an popourri or tutti-frutti...
I advertise that for enjoy this blend, is necessary that you like aromatics so much...
Simply, the most flavoured betwen all the Aromatics.
One of my Favorites, Fully Reccomended. 4 Stars.

Pipe Used: 2, Stanwell and Savinelli

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: Tabacaria Virtual,Porto Alegre,RS, Brazil, tabacariavirtual.com

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A previous reviewer claims this is a "shallow tobacco for shallow people."..... Okay, call me Pipeshallowstud then because I liked this blend.

Another member here offered a more legitimate review and really nailed it when he said this was similar to G&H Firedance Flake. While Firedance Flake has more strength, this offering has more flavoring. Devil's Holiday reeks of quality leaf and a natural, fruit taste which certainly makes its presence known. It was moist right out of the tin, but after spreading some out on a paper towel and letting it sit for a couple of hours, I found it dried more quickly than I had anticipated. I do think this helped a great deal as more of a tobacco taste was noted. My first bowl was straight from the freshly opened tin and I was overwhelmed by the topping.

If you enjoy cased blends made with really quality leaf, then Devil's Holiday may take you for a ride to Heaven.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

A dark mixture with a few yellow bits which adds visual interest.

Smells and tastes like blackcurrant cordial to me. Which is a good thing. When I go to a tobacco with a strongly sweet aroma I want it to have a strongly sweet flavour too. Along with Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evening this is one of the few aromatics I have found were the flavour not only matches the smell but is also delicious. Nor does it require you to smoke it at a snail's pace to avoid a scorched tongue and a spoiled flavour.

Good stuff.

Virginia smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia smoker (3)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was blown away when I tried this.Not as sweet as it smells in the tin (disagreeing with other reviews)Somewhat complex VERY enjoyable smoke. Pairs very well with coffee. I could smoke this stuff all day. I will be buying this in bulk to make sure I don't run out!For me the tobacco flaver comes through to mellow out the sweetness which puts this over the top in my book.Sip slowly and enjoy to avoid a bite and bitter finish. Another 4 stars in my book.

meerschaumRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaumRider (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Desert tobacco? nice note, little bite, a little overpowering fruity taste, some nic- kick....overall ok. Colors meerschaum slowly but with a seamless gradiant.

pattonpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pattonpiper (4)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Great if your looking for something sweet. No one in the room will mind a bowl or two. Good out of tin or let stand a bit in the air. Try some and see. Makes yard work pleasant

Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is a very unusual blend. If one does not like aromatics then this is for sure not for you and you might as well move on. Because this blend is for sure an aromatic to the highest degree. At first, I was given a bowl to try and well, was a little put off by it, too aromatic. A few months later, I was gieven a full tin of this in a trade and thought, well, I will give it a test to review and give the rest away. But the more I smoked it, the more I need to try another bowl and now I have almost emptied the tin. Now I must say, I like all tobacco types so I am totally unbiased when it comes to reviewing tobaccos. The most striking feature I have noticed with this blend is that even though it is a very strong aromatic in flavor, forest berries in fact, it has none of the gunkiness of a lot of aromatics. I have smoked every bowl down to the bottom of the bowl to a dry grey ash with little if any dottle. Can't say that about to many aros. Next, it does not getstronger or bitter as you smoke it down. So it is quite the aro.

It smells very Koolaide like in the tin and is a pretty mix of flake tobaccos running from black to golden in color. It does not need to be dried out as it is not wet or goopy and is very easy to pack and light. The room note is incredible. In fact I have drawn several bees to me while smoking it. It takes a little time to get used to the forest berry flavor, but it actually grows on you. I could not make this an all day smoke as it is too over the top and I like to taste the tobacco, but it is a pleasant now and then smoke. All in all, I do recommend that those who smoke aros to give it a try, it is different, tastes like it smells and it will not turn your pipe soggy.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I as some have noted here kind of liked the tin appearance--so I said--what the heck--go ahead, and give it a whirl. I had read the reviews here, and was VERY skeptical about even trying this blend. Well I must say my tin when I opened it was very good as far as moisture, and it required no drying out before I put it in a pipe. Also when I put my nose to the open tin I really liked the smell. When I lit my pipe up I was actually surprised that in fact the taste was actually pretty darn close to the smell of the tobacco when I put my nose to it. The berry taste in my tin was not very over powering, and as I got to mid bowl it got better, and a little weaker. It also finished off nice to the bottom of the bowl, and did not leave my pipe bowl all nasty with goo that some aromatics are noted for. I know there are some really mixed reviews here on this blend, but if you are into aromatics, and I am one that is usually not, but love to try ANY pipe tobacco just to see what its all about---as was already stated it is worth a try. For the most part it isn't all that bad at all. For those that like the Dan Tobacco "Malonga" you may also like this. I have tried quite a few of the Dan Tobacco blends, and they are pretty decent. I would actually say that I would concider another tin down the road when I am in the mood for an aromatic--by far not the worst taobacco I have ever smoked.

nyed001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nyed001 (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When I opened the tin all you could smell were the berries.Something came up and I didn't have a chance to light this one up for about a week.It didn't seem to completely dry out when I reopened the tin. It packed and lit easily but needed just one re-light in a Pete's 2nd billiard.It wasn't too sweet for an aromatic and to my surprise it didn't burn hot at all.The first tin didn't last very long and occasionally I like to smoke this one right after the dinner dishes are done.The berry smell reminded everyone in the house of the potpourri my wife likes to put out in trays. I've picked up 10 more tins and have added them to my small collection. I would highly recommend this blend to any aromatic smoker or anyone else looking for a change.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Devils Holiday, another winner from Dan Tobacco of Germany. I see what they mean when they say Devilishly Delicious, because it is. It also has a nice little kick to it that i absolutly love in a blend. This one is chock full of wild berries that gives off an irresistable flavour that is both zesty and tangy. Dedicate one of your favorite briars to this blend because it is a very lingering kinda smoke. Very little tonguebite from DH, just light it, tamp it a bit to settle, relight and enjoy. The roomnote had my motherinlaw beleiving my wife was baking a cherryberry pie upon entering the kitchen where i sat puffing away at this very exotic blend. Though it is a delicious smoke to be sure, i can get burnedout quick if i had to smoke it all day, that is why i rank this one three stars. It isn't even a part of my regular rotation, but i will come back to it from time to time.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong

I sorta like this stuff. It is a dark cased tobacco which is mainly black with flecks of brown. It is a berry scent without any other flavors as far as I can taste. Upon lighting you taste the berries but to me it seemed to get a bit floral as in lakeland floral but maybe this was the bitter taste a few others decribed, or maybe it was a residual scent in my pipes. I kinda doubt the latter for I tried this in three different pipes. It was a great room scent but yeah the flavor stayed pretty much the same all the way down. Anyway I prefer Bluenote but if that is too sweet for you this would be a bit of a step down though not too much.

afranks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
afranks (2)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

The flavor of this blend changes as the tobacco dries out. When fresh, the flavor and room note are strong with the smell of berries. I found that as I got to the bottom of the tin that the flavor was becoming less powerful. You'll still taste it, but not at all like when the tin is first opened.

This will burn hot, but I still need to find a slower cadence for my pipes. Recommended for anyone looking to please a roomful of people.

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

If you like the taste of berries, you will like this tobacco! The flavor is very authentic blackberry, not artificial. I like this even better than Samuel Gawith Firedance Flake. This is high quality tobacco with right amount of moisture. It burns to white ash with almost no dottle left at the end. Not much kick in the nicotine department. Fills the room with the aroma of forest berries....very nice! It is monochromatic in flavor, but it holds the flavor throughout the smoke. The tin is pretty cool too! I give it 4-star rating, because I like the berry flavor.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is a great CAO tobacco to add to your ever growing list of fine tin tobaccos. I thought this smoked great from start to finish and had a great roomnote. It is very flavorfull and the wild forest berries are fully tasted through-out the smoke. I recommend this high quality tobacco to anyone who is enjoys rich aromatics! MZMN 8-24-06

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I do not typically smoke aromatics, but my tobacconist asked me to critique a sample of this for him. I was very pleased with this tobacco. It smokes very well, with very little moisture. It has a very nice sweet flavor and aroma. It is supposed to be cased with flavoring of wild forrest berries, my guess was vanilla and cherries, but nevertheless I really enjoyed a bowl of this tobacco. I give it my full recommendation to aromatic smokers.

By the way I live in the U.S. so apparently this finally arrived.

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I have been moving away from aromatics for quite some time. I have discovered that most aromatics aren't quite so wonderful as they claim themselves to be. However, on a recent trip to a Kaohshiung pipe shop, I spied a new Dan Pipe blend, a large tin covered with orange flames, billing itself as "The Jazzy Blend." I read the tin description. Sounds tasty, doesn't it? I gave it a try. This coarse, broken flake doesn't pack very well as it is, but a bit of chopping works wonders. Upon lighting, I discovered that Devil's Holiday is as aromatic as it claims to be. One is greeted by a potent, cool blast of fruitiness. Occasionally, as I progress down the bowl, I taste the base tobaccos, but for the most part, all I taste is the casing. But what a casing it is! It really is marvellous.

Devil's Holiday, along with von Eicken's Private Blend, has become the tobacco I smoke when I want something sweet and uncomplicated.

I haven't come across this tobacco on the websites of North American tobacconists, so I suspect it is still unavailable there. If it becomes available, grab yourself a tin.

Update: I tried mixing this tobacco with McClelland's Frog Morton. The resulting mixture, combined with a few epidodes of "Fawlty Towers," is an absolute joy.

solongago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
solongago (1)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Overwhelming

I bought a couple ounces locally in a Zip-Lock bag.

If you have children, you may want to spread this with peanut butter on their sandwiches in place of raspberry jam. Smoking it wasn't particularly unpleasant, and seemed to get more tolerable after I became accustomed to it. The smoke aroma was a bit annoying. But the pervasive, cloying aroma from the unsmoked tobacco escapes through the plastic bag, wafts through half the house, and stings my nose. I usually enjoy smelling of pipe tobacco, but with Devil's Holiday, I just want to take a shower and wash it off before I go out in public.

BBK357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBK357 (7)
Medium Strong Mild Tolerable to Strong

Wow, I had such good luck with DAN tobaccos I bought 3 tins of this. That was a mistake. When I opened the tin, I found a dark tobacco leaf that was moist and smelled like berries. Not bad for car fabric, infact I think hanging an open tin above your rear view would be the best use for this. Very hard to keep lit, and smoked VERY wet. It bit with every puff, and the nasty flavor stays in your mouth. I hate to knock a tobacco blend, so I have had a total of 3 bowls. Let me say that all where the same. I ended up dumping the tobacco out and keeping the cool tin. Very glad I smoked this out of a corncob.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

As aromatics go, this one is way over the top. This stuff isn't so much produced with the pipe smoker in mind as it is for those in the vicinity of the pipe smoker. Sure, it provides a room note not unlike potpourri but it offers only goop, steam and tongue bite to the smoker. It is absolutely wretched.

I threw it in the trash after just one bowl.

Lawrence G. Foster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lawrence G. Foster (7)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

First, a brief explanation of how I ended up smoking Devil's Holiday.

Beside Devil's Holiday I have ever smoked but one other aromatic blend in very limited quantity (some Vanilla Mac Baren pouch I purchased in Austria on my second day as a smoker). I purchased my single tin of Devil's Holiday after deciding that I wanted to try an aromatic blend of quality and popularity. I did my research, and it seemed to me that Devil's holiday could be what I was looking for. It came highly recommended, and I said to myself "If aromatics are so popular with my fellow smokers, there should be something to them!"

This conclusion was severely premature. I found Devil's Holiday to be a supreme disappointment.

The first bowl tasted like candy and cigarettes... The second bowl tasted like candy and cigarettes... I did not smoke a third.

I do not recommend this blend. I suppose I just like my tobacco to taste like... tobacco... This does not mean to say that Aromatics are inherently inferior, or that all of them are bad. After all, I have only ever smoked two aromatics, and if 'whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must be silent,' then I will end my review here.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant

This tobacco sounded so good when it was described to me. But to be honest it is just a very strong berry flavored aromatic. The worst part of it is that my wife keeps asking when I will be smoking it again. The room note is that good. I hate to brake it to her, it will be a cold day in hell before that will happen again.

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Unfortunately I was very disappointed when the tins of this arrived at the tobacco shop. The folks there were kind enough to order this in just because I requested it. I find this tobacco tasting and smelling extremely synthetic and quite bitter. I really thought Dan Tobacco would have done a better job with this flavoring by their description. It's kind of odd that I didn't like this since I really like fruity tobacco's but this has "fake flavoring" screaming from my pipe with every draw.

Aromatic Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromatic Al (8)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you're familiar with Dan Tobacco's Blue Note or Milonga, you'll find Devil's Holiday to be lighter in tobacco flavor. It's much darker than the other two, being about 85% brownish-black Cavendish, so this isn't surprising.

The tin aroma is much more subdued than Blue Note or Milonga, yet still significant. And like Blue Note, if I hadn't read the label, I wouldn't be able to identify the casing flavors (Milonga is obviously Caramel).

About 15% of the blend consists of wispy strands of golden Virginia that deliver an opposing taste and aroma that's very noticeable and a bit annoying because it hits you intermittently. Therefore, I would describe this blend as mild but not smooth or seamless. Also, the smoke is too light: not enough body. And to me, the room note is an unidentifiable sugar smell.

Devil's Holiday doesn't float by boat. Blue Note is much better if you're looking for fruit-flavoring.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

When I opened the tin I was very surprised at the sweet candy aroma...right away I thought to myself I have to order another. It reminds me of wine gum candy. I've tried several bowls and though it is a very unique tobacco I think for me I'm going to age it a bit and use it sparingly. It does leave a residue in the pipe and the taste stays so I would recommend using a special pipe with this blend. The filter got really blackened by it which surprised me as did the pipe. I can see why it is so popular but I personally would only smoke it once in awhile. It maybe too much for some people's taste but I think it's worth a try if you like aromatics.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

If smoked with caution, this blend will not bite. Tin aroma reminds me of grape bubblegum, and is terrific! Great for an after dinner smoke. Room note is superb, with thin, whispy smoke.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Tin aroma= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. Taste= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. Room Note= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. Would rather buy= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. Easier on the tongue= Ludens Cherry Cough Drops. I do like the little round tin.

I think if you were a beginner pipe smoker or looking to impress the ladies, than this is a good choice, but I wouldn't want to be in a small room with someone smoking this.

Montauk Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montauk Man (2)

I could smell the berries in this tobacco as soon as I opened the can. Wow, it smells almost to good to be true. I really enjoyed the first few times I had this. It is a little heavy on the palate, so its an excellent smoke for after a good meal. I was not sure at first if it was going to scorch my tongue. It smelled like it had a lot of suger or casing on it. It will bite a little if you try to smoke her too fast, but I was amazed at the flavor and smells this tobacco had. This is very tasty and smooth from start to finish. On a side note the wife liked the smell from it, and enjoyed it as much as me I think.

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I checked out some reviews here and they were saying that this one is sweet, too sweet, I decided to try it.

Surprisingly, not only this blend isn't sweet at all, it is so bitter and drys my mouth!

after checking the reviews again I found some reviews saying this one is bitter and dry tasting, which is correct.

I suspect some people don't even bother trying this blend and review it based on rumors.It is as sweet as Bitrex.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of those rare aromatics that actually tastes like it smells. I read the reviews here so I knew what I was getting into. I'm always searching for an aromatic that I can work into my rotation to smoke something different now and then. I aged the tin for almost 3 years, and surprisingly Devil's Holiday needed no drying whatsoever. The flavor is pretty good if you have a sweet tooth. No tongue bite, but it does burn hot in the pipe. It burned dry in the pipe as well. It's worth a try if you're looking for an aromatic with a sweet berry flavor. Not too bad...

Balisongbaka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Balisongbaka (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

bought this one because the tin looked cool and i was not disappointed. it is kind of a raspberry blackberry flavor very easy on those around you.

thefoolish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thefoolish (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

One of the things that gets to me is when people write a review knocking a tobacco for the type of tobacco it is: English, aromatic, etc. A blend should be judged within its field, and that is how I will attempt to rate this blend.

First of all, the tin just looks great and inspired me to try it, along with the irony of ordering this blend on Christmas Eve.

Upon opening the tin, I was hit by the powerful aroma of berries, sweet and ripe. I really enjoyed the nose, though it did smell a little overly synthetic.

The leaves came out of the tin after a little over a month of having the blend at basically a perfect smoking quality: still slightly moist, but dry enough to be lit well, with limited relights.

The sweetness of the tin aroma transfered to the smoke, though not nearly as overpowering, to my taste. Don't get me wrong, it was sweet, very sweet, but not enough to stop me in my tracks.

The room note was really nice; it was one of the few blends where I fully enjoyed the smell while still smoking.

This wasn't the best aromatic I have tried, but it was enjoyed, and a really nice blend to use to celebrate International Pipe Smoking Day.

piper965 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piper965 (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

To me the tin was cool and I figured, sure why not. The tobacco smells great in the tin for an aromatic. It has nice sweet fruity sense tingling aromas. the tobacco has always been a little moist for me, it takes some airing out. Once you light it up it's not bad, but for me its just not too much to it. Maybe I am missing something. The room note is very nice, it has a sweet cherry smell, I just didn't get a strong flavor. You can taste the sweet fruityness of the cherries, but in a mild way. I think it worth a try at least once for everyone.

Schnaupps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schnaupps (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am just getting to the point in my pipe career where I am developing a sense of different tobaccos for different cravings. Aromatics are my usual standby, while I do delve in English blends from time to time.

The most distinguishing feature of Devil's Holiday is the smell from the tin: reminds me of Knott's Berry Farm pie. Comes a bit moist, but you can dry it out as necessary. Smokes hot, but I am becoming a believer that 'tongue bite' is due more to smoking technique then the tobaccos themselves. Leaves a slightly goopy ash. The room note is pleasant, as is the flavor. As with most aromatics, the taste is a bit different then the smell, but the berry flavor does shine through.

I am beginning to love Dan tobacco as a dessert brand, specifically Devil's Holiday. When I am looking for a light sweet flavor, this is a go-to blend for me. For example, this morning was a bit rainy so I wanted something sweet and flavorful, like hot coco or warm pie. Devil's Holiday, with its berry essence, fits the bill nicely.

Not recommended for an exclusive every day smoke, but certainly perfect for its occasion. As with a nice berry pie (note that I use the reference repeatedly,) you don't want this every day, but when you crave it, there is nothing else that can match the flavor.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I had such high hopes for this blend. I just loved the tin artwork and the concept sounded very intriguing. The actual smoking, however pleasent, was not what I expected. I expected a fruity aromatic that I could enjoy as an all day smoke. I got a fruity aromatic, but with such a heavy casing that it was sickening. It is like having a piece of candy that is excrusiatingly sweet. I'm talking even sweeter that pure sugar. That was Devil's Holiday. This blend would be okay as a once and a while blend to those who are completely in love with aromatics, but I would stay away from it if you only want something to change the pace. On the major upside though, my fiancee enjoyed the smell emensely, so this blend is a green on the wife rating.

funkysideup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
funkysideup (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the first tobaccos I tried as a pipe smoker. I liked it then and I still like it. I've been through about 4 tins and they have all been great. The tobacco is dark and a little moist out of the tin. It smells great if you like berries. It is easy to light and after one charring light it stays lit. The taste is sweet, you can easily taste the Virginia in the mix. The berry topping is strong but not overpowering. No problem smoking down to the very bottom of the bowl. I would recommend this as an after dinner smoke as it is very sweet.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)

A tasty aromatic that's perfect for after dinner. I found that it lit well, and didn't need much maintenance while being smoked. Would go well with a nice cup of tea or coffee.

Mild Extra Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is a wonderful aromatic blend with an extremely heavy casing of sweet forest berries, it tastes very fruity, sweet and creamy.

I find this tobacco very entertaining for the palate, it gives me a "happy feeling" and good mood.. , also it has an attractive room note. all in all this is the best fruity aromatic blend I have ever tried, I would highly recommend it for aro smokers.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This was one of my first tobaccos. If you are a connoisseur of aromatic tobaccos, this blend is for you. This tobacco has gotten many many compliments concerning its room note, but it is by no means one of the best. It is great for those just starting tobacco.

It is like putting candy in your pipe, and if you like that sort of thing then buy a tin. But be warned, this tobacco leaves one hell of a ghost in your pipe. It would be wise to dedicate one pipe to this blend because the taste is extremely hard to remove. Cheers.

mrlindeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrlindeman (4)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Wow. As stated. You must love the aromatics for this blend. I like them but also virginias and strong English. This blend is a good one though. Very nice tin and room note. Smoke is cool, dry and flavorfull. I choo choo'ed it and still pretty smooth. Not alot of bite in other words. I would definatly recomend for the aromatic lover.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (39)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

If you like aromatics great and if you don't, don't buy this tobacco. The aromatics in this blend are over the top, yet I can taste the black Cavendish and the smidgeon of Virginian leaf. Without a doubt I can taste berries, big time. If your looking for a big nicotine punch, it will fail you. I would say this tobacco is whimsical there's nothing serious about it, it is a big shot of berry flavor. I did a get a sense I was smoking tobacco during the second, third of the bowl. No goop remaining in the bowl. It is quality tobacco with quality casing and quality topping. If you don't like fanciful aromatic tobacco, save your money and time reviewing. But if you think you would like an aromatic spree, go no further.

Oh, and if your going to submit here, please expound on your position in sentence form too.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

The art work on the tin is pretty cool. This is a fun blend. Much like Solani X Mystery and Treasures of Ireland, Devil's Holiday has very natural tasting berry flavors. None of the standard goop in many Aros. The flavor leveled off halfway through the bowl and then I could taste some quality black Cavendish. The tin aroma may turn some people off, but taste of real tobacco may turn some on. As always, it is a matter of personal taste.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (56)
Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Though moist in the tin, it is not sticky or wet, and it burns well immediately without further drying. Unsmoked aroma is certainly raspberry or some mixture of berries but the flavour when smoked is a little less specific. The room note is acceptable to non-smokers indoors. I'm currently using it to build a cake on a very short Bjarne poker that is simply too hot smoking to fill with the uncased varieties I most often prefer. I do find it satisfying overall, though. Give it a go next time you want an aromatic bowl.

rexinator26 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rexinator26 (19)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The 1 year aged tin that I just opened, had a wondeful aroma of wild berries.(Warning you must be an aromatic fan to enjoy this tobacco).This tobacco has a great berries aroma to it from start to finish,packed well,lites well,burns well,smoked great.I happen to like berries which makes this tobacco enjoyable.Another fine smoking Dan Tobacco.The best berry tobacco I've smoked.Non smokers and the Ladies are drawn to the berry aroma.

Mvardjan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mvardjan (6)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

Have received many compliments on the aroma of this tin. It is very fruity and dark. The flavor is well balanced and enjoyable. I carry this when I want a good compromise between something I like to smoke and something others will like to smell. The name and tin art also add to conversation with the "unenlightened" (that being non-pipe smokers)

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (14)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Pleasant

This is an exceedingly sweet berry flavored cavendish blend. The flavouring is very strong, but you can catch the taste of the tobacco in the background. It would not bite me, and I was all but daring it to. The one downside I have found with this blend is that it leaves a ghost that Pac-Man would be afraid of (Glad I tried it in a Grabow). If you are looking for a fruity aromatic that is actually of good quality give it a try.

Schwetty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schwetty (15)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This blend is like dessert in a pipe! It is the best aromatic that I have tasted to date. Finally, an aromatic that tastes as good as it smells in the tin.

The intense flavor is that of berries, vanilla and spice. The aftertaste is just as pleasant. Similar to Blue Note, but has more depth in flavor. The room note will bring compliments from everyone with its creamy white smoke. This is obviously high quality leaf, in that it burns grey without the wet, gloop at the bottom of the bowl.

I generally like blends with latakia in them for depth, but this is a nice change into the aromatics. I plan to keep some of this around for a change of pace.

Top shelf for aromatic lovers, and a nice sweet diversion for the english guys.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Just another fantastic offering from Dan Tobacco. A little different from Blue Note or Da Vinci but it certainly holds its own. Fantastic flavor/smell/quality.

Vandaahl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vandaahl (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

For aromatic lovers, this is a must try! It's one of my favorites. High quality tobacco and a very nice sweet forest berries smell! And indeed the wife loves it as well! Go buy a tin!

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When preparing stuff for my vacation I bought this blend just because of its name. And I was not disappointed - this tobacco is just right for smoking pipe in hot Summer day at sea. Mixture is on my surprise very welcomed by other people and it still posses enough body to be interesting. Highly recommended for people who enjoy aromatic tobaccos.

Valns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Valns (3)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I only have one thing to say,that there's trully is a taste of music in the air.

I always buy new tobbacos, and rerely i buy same kind twise, but this one is special, i always want to smoke it again and again and again, but after i smoke one tin i want to buy diffrent tobaco, and after it i want to get back to this one. Well you can actually taste berries a little. Its quite strong, gives u dry mouth and a little bit of toung bitting. But never the less i really enjoy this one, it gives a nice puff and a cool burn.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I much prefer Blue Note to this Dan offering. DH has its merits though, and I recommend it as an occasional change. If you like raspberries (and I don't) this may be just the blend for you!

robvolume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robvolume (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I cannot recommend this enough to fans of aromatics. It is strong enough to satisfy but still has a pleasant taste. The taste of wild berries is there but not over powering. This may be my new favorite for when I'm in the mood for an aromatic.

tobacco wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobacco wolf (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

From the description you would think that this blend would be just like smoking a mixed berry muffin. And when you first open the tin, that's exactly what you would expect. The smell is pungent and very pleasant. But I was dissapointed with the smoke. Every now and then you get a wiff of that berry smell, but half way through the bowel it's gone. It's hard to pack and I'm thinking I'll have to dice the rest of it just to get it to pack right. It's not a bad smoke overall. Very easy to smoke. It's just not what you would expect.

Gran Grifón Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gran Grifón (9)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Just for aromatic tobacco fans. I am. I would describe it like the tin I would like to have, always. Not bitting and after a pipe you want more. It´s extraflavored and it tastes like creamy strawberry bubble gum. Great! Not for Va and Latakia lovers. They get a nice balance of Black Cavendish and a little Va. The tobacco you are looking for when you start pipesmoking

Thoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thoth (11)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of the few aromatics that I have come across that taste exactly like they smell. When you open the tin you are greated with the scent of berries.

There is little to no tobacco flavor from this blend all you get the flavor of berries. With the strong berry flavor comes the issue of it it ghosting. I suggest dedicating a pipe to it (or fruity aromatics) becasuse after a couple of bowl fulls you pipe will smell and taste of it. Also If you are not careful this blend will bite.

Once you open a tin of this you probably should smoke it within a couple of months because the flavor/scent fades and all you are left with is some bland tobacco.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I noticed the composite score for this one is 2 stars. That is right on the money in my opinion. I will smoke up what I have and doubt I will buy more, unless....... it grows on me which has happened before so I won't write this blend off out of hand.

Tin Aroma: Wonderful berry essence, aromatic fans will love it. Aroma burns off quite a bit by 1/2 bowl. Dry smell, if that is possible.

Taste: Very mild but surprisingly, a bit harsh and dry in flavor. Tastes like Cavendish that has been desiccated somehow. Once in a puff I get a slight bitterness, very odd and not to my liking. Dry.

The mix is visually appealing with mostly black cav. with a few blond VA strands mixed in. Dry.

The smoke is without the creamy roundness present in many other cavendish mixtures I have enjoyed. A little vanilla would have made this one a knock out. As it is, the berry essence is a little "Thin Tasting" and "Hollow" for me. Dry.

Did I mention it has a dry taste? ;)

I am going to mix this with a little McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish and see what happens, I may mix them and press it for a few weeks with a little white rum to marry the flavors.

I think that will be either a stunning success or a disastrous failure, no in between.

We'll see :)

2 stars ()-()

Good Draw to You, Cheers,

Glorfindel

parris001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parris001 (8)
Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant

I guess I fell easy. At my tobacconist I found the aroma to be very pleasing and actually bought 2 ounces in bulk. I got it home and pulled some out to dry and while the moisture seemed to achieve the right content it remained pretty sticky. Loads of topping I'm going to bet. Between the sticky texture and the coarse flakes I had trouble getting this stuff to pack to my liking. Anybody remember Hawken? Similar cut and texture. I ended up dumping the bowl and cutting the tobacco up to a finer consistency.

This stuff was HARD, I mean HARD to keep lit. And it didn't take long for my pipe to start with the gurgles. The flavor was very fruity and was obviously married to a pretty quality tobacco. But talk about bite....... OUCH! Maybe it was just me. I did enjoy the flavor to an extent but it was just to much, quite a hassle to keep lit, and left me wondering if I was smoking from the wrong end of the pipe.

Anyone want to trade what's left of two ounces? What do you have to trade?

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a somewhat underwhelming blend that would be good for creating a pleasant room note for others around you, but provides little satisfaction for the pipe smoker. Like most blends of this type, it smokes hot. Good for keeping a couple of ounces around for the benefit of those around you, but nothing more.

revdoggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
revdoggy (2)
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Flavoring is very strong and too contrived. It seems CAO was trying too hard. The "aromatic mystery" is only the aroma of berries. I like aromatics but the berry casing is over-powering.

Ewoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ewoth (5)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Strong

I was surprised, this wasn't just another "heavy" aromatic where the packaging promised more than it delivered, It actually had the aroma of berries. Although I don't have a wife, I don't see how this could not pass the wife test!

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (21)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I bought this based on the reviews that claimed this tobacco to be 'heavily cased'. I thought I was going to get a berry tobacco in which I could taste some berry.

What I ended up with was a shadow of a memory of a hint of a whisper of berry. I can hardly taste berry (or tobacco for that matter) at all. There is not even a room note of berry. The predominant flavor in this tobacco is WAX PAPER.

I guess Dan has joined the long list of other tobacco companies in pandering to the people who want their aromatics to taste like squadron leader (i.e. hot air - no taste at all - not even tobacco).

Dan, please put the flavor back in and stop using wax paper in your tins.

This is what seems to be a disturbing trend. If you dont want to taste berry/apple/vanilla/cherry/orange then dont buy berry/apple/vanilla/cherry/orange tobacco DUH!

If you only buy aromatics to draw attention to yourself then complain that you can taste berry/apple/vanilla/cherry/orange, well - grow up and stop ruining it for everyone else, and tobacco companies, stop listening to them.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

I enjoy good aromatic tobaccos but couldn't handle this one. Too sweet and extremely cloying. Too much berries and not enough tobacco. I turn slightly green just thinking about the overbearing sugary berry aroma. If you want a classy berry/cherry tobacco, try Karl Erik Private Blend No. 16.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have had this on my tobacco counter at home for five years. I like the tin art on this. As for the tobacco, terrible. If you blend this into another tobacco you will ruin it also. It smells so good in the tin, as for alot of aromatics. And again, as in most aromatics, the smell does not translate into flavor. To be fair, I am not an aromatic smoker. I like the flavor of tobacco and I love nicotine. That is why I smoke pipes and cigars.

purplehook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
purplehook (6)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Overwhelming Pleasant

Based on the reviews here and my love or aromatics among others, I was really excited about this blend. The tin looks very cool, the smell of the tobacco out of the tin is amongst the best I have smelled. I love berry blends......that is where the positives stop. This tobacco is very harsh on your throat. I have never smoked a tobacco like this. It is like inhaling campfire smoke. For something containing black Cavendish I was very surprised of this. I smoke many a heavy English blend and nothing like this. There is a faint taste of berries, but it is even sub par amongst other aromatics. It was a little wet at first, but even after a thorough drying it did not help very much. Maybe I got a bad batch or this is way overrated.

Flavortone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flavortone (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Dan makes some good tobacco and I highly respect them. this tobacco was definatley not bad! its not for me personally but its a good tobacco. i tried a tin and came close to finishing it. th only problem i have with it was it left one hell of a ghost in one of my briars and one of my meerschaum (my only meerschaum at the time i have since bought another because my 1st one still smells like this tobacco) i had to ream the entire cake out of my briar to get rid of the ghost.

now that i have said my complaint i can talk about the actual tobacco. the tin note is extremley strong. it smells great but dont be alarmed by the powerful smell its not that intensley flavored. it smokes a bit hot but good. a good amount of smoke, ot to wet and stays lit preety well. all in all a great tobacco just smoke it in a corncob before choosing if its for you or not id hate for you to have to ream you briar like i did.