None provided.

Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Taste

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Finally, a true great Continental Europe English blend! It's made in Germany, but it doesn't resemble the classic production of that land, though I could detect a slight casing. Upon opening the (very nice) tin, you find the tobacco into a plastic bag, which helps keeping the moisture at a fine level. The cut is a medium ribbon which together with the moisture level makes packing and lighting an easy task. The big flavour starts to develop from the very first match, with the great latakia always in great evidence, while the Virginia provides the medium body and a little sweetness; the burley rounds it all with its nutty flavour. As far as burning goes, well, it's a marvel: easy, even, cool, it leaves just fine, white ash at the bottom of the bowl. Highly recommended.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Folks, this concoction pays fine tribute to the wonders of Latakia used sparingly, in harmony with other leaves. Unlike the above reviewer, I found this blend demure in its leathery presentation. The tin aroma is somewhat balkan in its pungency, rather more sour than sweet. I am not usually a burley fan, but I found it kept a low profile here, content to allow the virginias to sing tenor while the dark leaf played a humble basso profundo. I detect some sort of casing here, albeit slight. This tabak is blended in Germany for McLintock and Germans cannot seem to leave a blend uncased. That said, it is not offensive. The mixture requires a good airing prior to enjoyment and did not seem to prefer any particular size of bowl. The above may seem to indicate that this was a rather "ho-hum" affair, but it is not so. Having worked through a tin in short order lead to purchasing several more as I am delighted with its complexity and ease on my palate. If ever a dark blend could be referred to as "refreshing", my money is on this treasure. 12/28/04--had placed the contents of 5 tins into a jar and let sit since may. Am currently enjoying now. Go find some.

PHOBOS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PHOBOS (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

WOW...A great...great pipe tobacco. The best Syrian Latakia Blend that I smoked in my life.Deliciously DELICIOUS.You MUST prove it.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (30)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Patrick from Blatter and Blatter recommended this blend when I mentioned my liking for Latakia. A rectangular tin with a pipe rest molded in the lid, quite attractive. As I opened it, an exotic smokey aroma hit my nostrils, reminiscent of a middle-eastern desert camp fire.

The cut is very fine and easy to load in any pipe, but such a fine cut leads to the tobacco drying out faster

No troubles lighting and burned with minimal if not any relights. The blend also contains Virgina and Burley, a combination complimenting the main star: Latakia.

After smoking several tins of the blend over the years, I no longer enjoy it. I detect a topping of some sort, which can be distracting. I can see how some would enjoy it, but I personally find that it lacks complexity and depth.

Pipe Dreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Dreamer (1)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I love this stuff. Volumes of smoky rich taste. As a cigar smoker I have been wondering if I could find the same bliss with a pipe. I have tried many four star blends and this is my favorite so far....But I can't find any! Anyone know where it is sold or if it has a different name in bulk?

Scottish Soldier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottish Soldier (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Thanks to Richard of R.J. Clarke's Tobacconist in Gastown, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, I have been introduced to this fine blend.

On opening the tin, the aroma of the smokey, cured Latakia leaf came to the forefront. The fine cut reminded me of Latakia blends of 30 and 40 years ago.

I loaded my Stanwell POY 2002 with this baccy and fired up. What a pleasant surprise!

The tobacco lit very easily and there was no need for relights - it burns that well! I found the flavor to be mild to medium and the taste was a very mild latakia flavoring. The baccy burned to a fine light gray colored ash.

This tobacco has not left me with any "aftertaste", even after having smoked several bowls in a day.

I have received many positive comments about the room note of this blend and only one "what in the world is that".

Although difficult to find, at times, this offering by McLintock has become my "go to" choice morning, noon and night.

I find it to be a superb tobacco and highly recommended for those who pine for a good latakia mixture.

Medium None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

Syrian Latakia . The unlit mix has a supreme smokey aroma emanating from the Latakia . It is of a brilliant moistness too , so once filled it takes to the flame very easily . The flavour of this is a total delight , you get the Virginia "hay" note with an amazing smokiness from the Latakia . If you are the type of smoker who has a predilection to inhale the smoke then this will suit you as it is a very soft and silky smoke with a great Nicotine content (about Squadron Leader level) . As this burns on the smokey flavour does not dissipate any at all , staying prodigious for the whole pipe . Room note is very "classic" and takes you back to the 1800's ! This is going straight into my favorites .... superb !

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Nice smell off the tin, pungent and sour. The tin art represents a dark woolen fabric and the tobacco is packed in plastic.

The nuttiness of the Burley is in the forefront accompanied by the Latakia burnt wood flavor. Virginias give it that tangy, cigarette like taste and bitterness. Overall a decent tobacco with a little topping. It burns to a white ash and is best enjoyed if left in a pipe for some hours prior to enjoyment.

Trainman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trainman (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an interesting mixture. The tobacco is first quality - perfect burning, no tounge bite. The taste is luxurius and aristocratic, full but smooth, with the help of its topping which some may find distracting.

For the friends of aromatic tobacco, and even the friends of cigars, the topping of McLintock's Syrian Latakia may be a nice introduction to the world of oriental varieties. In the begining its flavour may seem a bit overwhelming to the purists, being sweet but very serious and gentlemanry and thus introducing the smoker to the essence of the legendary Syrian Latakia which gradually comes to the fore with a variety of eastern spices.

A tobacco well suited to the members of the secret cult in Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut"...

Psinik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psinik (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Not the greatest latakia blend but an excelent early morning pipe to go with a nice cup of cofee.

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is not bad, but if you compare with HH syrian it's a disapointed tobacco.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Disappointing...really disappointing!

The burley did not add an interesting note to it - contarry to Caledonian 466-.

It also tasted weird...

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

It's not much to say about it, other than the fact that is well blended quality tobacco. Burns well, smokes nice, tastes great. It is at least a "must try". I do not like it as much as I like JJ Fox Bankers or F&K Merde de Cheval, but it is a tobacco that I will keep in my stash.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

What sets this blend apart from so many other Latakia mixtures is the fact that Syrian Latakia is used, and this is very different to the more common Cypres variety. For one thing, the nicotine content of Syrian is much higher than Cyprian and this shows in the kick this fine blend delivers! The taste is different too, being less leathery/smoky and more aromatic for that matter. I recently bought for tins of this blend and those tins were just flat, no pipe indent in the lid. I feel this is an excellent Latakia mixture that is subtly sweet, smokey and just wholly delicious!

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

My tobaconnist told me this was a traditional english, but with burley and Syrian Latakia.

For some reason, we never got along because I think the proportion of Burley was too high and, despite giving the blend a nice aroma, was disatrous in the pipe.

FrJacob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FrJacob (3)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

There are two ways to get all of this great tobacco you want: #1- order it direct from Germany at http://montecristo.cigarworld.de/shop/detail_variante.php4?artnr=90003503&artikelnr=90003506&artikelgr= Unfortunately this runs you about $40 for shipping, but when I've thought I couldn't get it any other way, I've done it. And, anyway, it's nice to know its there. #2- call Blatter & Blatter at 514-845-8028 - but you can't order it online from them. It's not an inexpensive tobacco, but it's worth it. Enjoy.