This is a burley Cavendish with a mild vanilla topping. Light blue pouch.

BrandCaptain Black
Manufactured ByLane Ltd.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging1.5oz Pouch
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
1.6
hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (9)

Smoked a pouch of this tobacco, not so bad but burns a little hot and moistens the pipe. Bites your tongue a little. My pipe and balsa filter was all wet in the end...

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (31)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I believe the time has come for someone to do a comparison of the Captain Black line of pipe tobaccos from Lane limited. I have decided not to review the Red or Cherry Flavor as it is so different from the others and if you like cherry then you do, if not then only the others are relevant. This leaves:

Royal ( dark blue pouch ), Light ( light blue pouch ), Gold ( golden pouch ) Captain Black or ?Captain Black White? ( white pouch ).

Light ( light blue pouch ) :

The pouch says carefully selected tobaccos. It is a fine ribbon cut of toast colored light tobaccos. The tobacco is the driest to the touch of all the CB and also has the least noticeable pouch aroma ( which is still strong. It is still the same CB smell with an almost yogurt like quality or mildness to it. OK this stuff burns like an oil soaked rag. Produces a decent but short lived smoke and tastes of almost nothing and just kind of dries the pallet. The room note is perhaps the least pleasant of the CB but this is still within the famous pleasant room note of CB barely but not unpleasant. This is so light that it is probably the only one of the CB series that I could actually recommend to the novice as an almost non smoke ( I think one should try something like an English first as it bites less and will develop better skills so I wouldn?t recommend any CB to the novice, but hey whatever ). I personally wont finish the entire pouch or keep this stuff around. Burns to salt and pepper ash and leaves small black dottle in bottom of bowl. Somewhat harsh on the mouth more so than the other CB at least for me. The worst of the CB for me.

Gold ( golden pouch ) :

The pouch says matured golden Cavendish tobaccos. It is a fine golden ribbon cut. Not as dry to the touch as the Light but still somewhat drier than the others. It is however now getting sticky as are the others with exception of the Light. Same CB pouch aroma but stronger than the Light and weaker than the others. It boarders on that mellow yogurt like roundness to the aroma and the more overwhelming aroma of the other CB flavors. This stuff burns like wild fire, smoke is in good quantity but once again dry and short lasting somewhat aggressive on the pallet and hot. Light and I would recommend it over the actual Light as it has some flavor key work is some. Now we get that famous CB room note in a stronger sense. Once again small moist black dottle and a more salt than pepper salt and pepper ash. Better than the Light but worse than all the other CB for me. Won?t finish it or keep it around.

Captain Black or ?Captain Black White? ( white pouch ) :

The Pouch says rich black Cavendish and mellowed burleys. It is a kind of ribbon cut but shot and stubby. This is the stickiest of all the CB. An overwhelming pouch aroma the strongest of the CB. That famous killer room note and also somewhat harsh on the gums. Burns relatively well fore such a wet feel. Decent smoke but not heavy or very thick. I think of all the CB this is the most common and if only drug store brands are available and the Royal is not stocked then this is an acceptable alternative. The old standard is just that an old standard and will be around forever. I say give it a try once. I won?t keep it around but might smoke a few bowls of it since I have the pouch here.

Royal ( dark blue pouch ),

The Pouch says aromatic black and golden Cavendish. A ribbon cut of black and golden Cavendish. Somewhat sticky to the touch but not as much as the white. A good burn and decent smoke but not heavy and doesn?t last. The pouch aroma is strong but not as overwhelming as the white. Good room note with that expected CB smell. I think this is the best of the CB series. An acceptable smoke and the better of the drugstore finds. I wouldn?t pass up some GLPease for it but if nothing else is around I would reach for this over the others on the local hardware store shelves. I guess give it a try and se what happens. Yes watch out for the heat and bite if you are used to better tobaccos especially if you are used to English blends as the fine ribbon cut Cavendish?s laden with topper will burn hot and wet.

Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The old guy that gave me the Hayward is now smoking this regularly. I asked him how he worked his way from that, which is fairly heavy bodied to this which is as wispy and wimpy as any blend I've ever smoked. "Just did", said he. Gotta love those old codgers.

Very slight taste of vanilla in a bed of non-descript Cavendish. Mostly a warm air flavor, no tobacco taste at all. No nicotine that I noticed. Not sure what "round taste" means, unless it's the opposite of sharp taste. This had no flavor that asserted itself in any way. Really not much to say about it, and I'm not sure what the point of this one is. I realize it used to be named "Light" and I suppose the other CB's might be perceived as too vanilla-y for some smokers but I can't see there being a market for this one unless it's just something to take care of an oral habit while giving others something nice to smell. It did have a nice aroma. Beyond that, this had no saving grace.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

Kevfoong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevfoong (6)
Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

My very 1st tobacco I purchase. Guess what... it leave me a very bad impression to Captain Black. Don't buy this... I smoke 1 bowl and give away the whole pack to my friend. It just not my tobacco.

It Bite!! It make your bowl wet!!

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is a good Cavendish for people that enjoy extra mild tobaccos

the boss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the boss (6)

this tobacco is very mis-leading with it's name. light--I DON'T FIND IT LIGHT AT ALL. smokes very well, very light vanilla flavoring. however I have just about finished a pouch, and I can tel you this tobacco has a kick to it. It is certainly not mild in nicoteen!!! Being a pipe smoker for over 40 years, I have certainly tried my share of tobaccos. I know taste is subjective, however if I gave creedence to these reviews I would never have picked up a pouch of this tobacco. This is a great all day tobacco. It is not sweet, and has tobacco flavor. I can't understand for the life of me, how a reviewer can judge a tobacco after only one bowl. this tobacco really started to shine after, and only after, almost a full ounce and half was smoked. very tasty indeed, with no tounge bite.

NZP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NZP (1)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Strong

When I started to pipe smoking, my first experience was CB Round taste. I guessed that being "Light" can be better for me as a cigarette non-smoker, but after testing I didn't like it. Smells only in the first puffs is good & return badly & rapidly. Packing, burning speed is good. A little tongue bite. There isn't any attraction in flavor. The pouch smell is nice but quiet different from smoking. I don recommend for newbie's. Also for pro's

Pipe Used: Big-Ben classic line

Age When Smoked: 32

Purchased From: Local store

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I keep seeing references to this being a light blend. My package doesn't say anything about it being light. This is a mild and rather bland version of the C.B. line. I still prefer the white blend above the other versions. It does burn a bit hot, but sip it slowly and it's not too bad. The vanilla is there, but you get some other stuff too. The cavendish I guess. On opening the package, it was very moist. But it lit without a second char light, and seems to burn about the same rate as most drug store blends. My one beef is the prices they're charging for the C.B. line. Now where did I put that pouch of Prince Albert?

Pipe Used: A Tom Howard Rhodesian

Purchased From: Smokers Choice, Brownsburg Indiana

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (30)

Why woud one smoke this when you can smoke White. Both taste and aroma less and not as enjoyable. My wife barely enjoyed the smell, if she could smell anything at all. Some tongue bite involved. I go back to my first sentence, I would never see a reason to smoke this when I can grab Captian Black White.

Ottani Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ottani (4)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is a good one. Vannila flavor is nice in the smoke, in the taste and in pouch. Taste is very light and smooth. Burns ok. My wife always ask me to smoke this instead of any other.

UncleDoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleDoc (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very good choice for people around you! due to exaggerated aroma they have put into it.If you want to have a good influence on chicks it could be one of your options! A very bad tongue bite that when you brush your teeth and toothpaste touches your tongue the burning sensation will make you cry!!! definitly Not a good one for beginners

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

i really didnt like this tobacco,it burned my tongue burns very quick and tastes very spicy!horrible to smoke.i guess the best one out of captain black is the white,dont bother with the rest.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

to me it is the gold blend with different casing thats all. very light tobacco,,n if u paid more attention u might get the taste of vanilla out there,,hold fire well and burn into fine ash,,would partially recommend it if you enjoy light aromatics but be worn that it is a hot steam producing blend (at least to my experience. aroma is acceptable to many.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

If your just starting out and want a low nicotine smoke this is it, It's not bad, but no kick. I guess why it's called light. It smells great. I remember a city transit train operator smoking this while operating. It was blowing through all the windows, ahh! So pleasant and sweet smelling. I caught a look at him packing his pipe, thats how I know it was this blend. So I figured eh, what the heck, I'll try it! I did and I didn't like it. To each his own I guess!

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A "tobacco" for the heir. Who is the heir? Ok, we have a little ritual in the family. In the quest for the "wify" tobacco and after debate I buy a tin of a candidate tobacco. After 2-3 attempts in corncobs and Falcons I send the tin to my brother who still hopes I'm wrong. After infesting his Falcons, he gives it to a guy in his work who is simply loving it!! This guy is the heir!! Buy caramels to eat. Buy another tobacco to smoke because still a wify tobacco shouldn't make you quit smoking altogether...

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Captain Black Light. It's just too light, in fact I would call it tasteless. Not much I can say beyond that - there's really nothing to describe!

supersmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
supersmoke (12)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I am all for light, mild and presumably low tar tobacco, but this was not good. My tounge is still recovering as the tobacco seemed to burn very hot. I think that this is becasue i was perhaps drawing on it too hard in an attempt to get some sort of flavour. This is often the case with mild tobaccos which is why i generally avoid them. I would rather smoke a medium strength tobacco properly than a mild one baldly with the misconception that it is safer. If you are going to smoke,smoke something decent and flavourable.

New pipe somkers tend to try light tobacco and they would be almost certainly put off with this. It is not any where near as good as Borkun Riff ultra mild.