An Americanized English, it has the traditional Latakia and Turkish (though in lighter amounts) in a Virginia flake base, but layered in are cubed burley and a discreet amount of toasted black cavendish for a round and slightly sweet finish.

Blended ByWilliam Serad
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)

I like Consolation; it's not a favorite, but I do like it. I may not keep it perpetually on-hand, but I will certainly purchase a few more tins. I've smoked almost the entire 50g tin and my opinion hasn't changed--it is a solid 3-star tobacco. The classification "Americanized English" seems appropriate, but this is a lighter style of English. The mix of tobaccos provides for a somewhat different smoking experience and the tobaccos work well together in these proportions.

The Burley component is what makes this mixture a success. While I would hesitate to call it domineering, Burley is the "STAR". The Latakia is more like a soft voice than a whisper and the Orientals and Black Cavendish seem to round out and smooth the edges. The Virginias contribute just a hint of sweetness and some additional body. I wouldn't call this mixture overly complex, but I do find it interesting. I do believe that this needs to be smoked relatively "young"--within a year or two of tinning.

I did discover a few more twigs and stems in the tin than I expect to find in a quality (tinned) blend.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

I got my paws on a six year old tin, and it is magical. I bought more for long-term storage, even though I usually avoid that practice.

Previous reviewers' praises are right on. But, maybe because of the age of my tin, this blend really stands out from similar and very good blends also created by Cornell & Diehl (and which are also tasty). However, Consolation takes this blending approach to new heights. Possibly the very best American-English I have ever smoked.

The flavors are melded and harmonious, yet at the same time each element speaks individually. The cubed burley is cool, creamy, nutty, and slow-burning. The Turkish adds its own character, complemented by the naturally sweet virginia and unsweetened black cavendish. Latakia joins in for a balanced smokiness.

Always interesting, never boring. Withstands -- no, thrives -- when concentrating on, pondering, scrutinizing and evaluating its nuances. But, and this is quite rare to me, Consolation is also a friendly, enjoyable companion that excells when reading or being otherwise distracted.

Simply fantastic!

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

This is a good, all-day, no nonsense blend that I really enjoyed. Especially since my tin was two years old.

Appearance: Good mixture of light, medium, and dark leaf. Cubed burley as well.

Tin Aroma: that wonderful, musty aroma of a good english with the nutty odor of burley. The cavendish is barely perceptable.

Moisture: Perfect; pack and light.

Lighting: easy, two-three lights max.

Initial flavor: A delicious medium english!

Mid-Bowl: the cavendish and burley add their nuances, yumm!

Bottom of Bowl: a nice build-up of flavor with every leaf perceptable. The nutty finish of burley, the slight sweetness of the VA and Turkish, the smokiness of the latakia. The ash is grey, dry, and fluffy.

Overall: This a nice old fashioned American blend that fills in the rotation nicely and every pipester should always have at hand. Sometimes simple is best! Thank You Mr. Serad!

Rating: 4 out of 5 points. Enjoy!

Jason_mazzy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason_mazzy (1)

I am reviewing a 2002 blend. The age on this blend was perfect. Every flavor was melded and well blended, a symphony of harmonious flavors. The burley brought a full tobacco flavor to the pallet while the latkia and Turkish lended mild salt and spice much like salt and pepper when added appropriately to a steak. The Virginia was full of body and brought a light sweetness to the finish. The cav was not very prevalent but may have leant to the body and sweetness of the Virginia. This blend works and I only wish I had 100 more tins of this perfectly aged and melded blend.

jjacallen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jjacallen (6)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I've been trying to find a blend that has all the fullness and complexity of a good English, but perhaps a bit sweeter, and lighter on the latakia. Based on the description of this one, with its contents of Burley and Cavendish I thought this might be it, so I picked up a tin to try.

I at first found it almost identical to Frog Morton, with barely perceptible increased sweetness. It also left an after-taste in the back of the mouth that lingered for perhaps an hour or more after finishing the bowl.

Unimpressed, I ignored the tin for several months, perhaps half a year.

Now, the Latakia has lost some of its exuberance, and having faded a bit into the mixture, seems to work more harmoniously with the Orientals. Unfortunately, the Burley has also suffered from lying about and is no longer perceptible. But the Virginia sweetness is more prominent, and although I still don't taste the Cavendish, I think with a bit of imagination I can perceive it rising up into my nostrils.

It still bears a very strong resemblance to Frog Morton, but with more prominence of the Virginia, and that lingering after-taste is smoky and very satisfying - reminding me long afterwards that I enjoyed the bowl. I'm glad to have this one on my shelf, and although I won't call it one of my favorites, I'm fairly certain that when the tin is empty I'll buy another one.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I just bought two tins of this blend (at clearance prices) and believe me...at $5.00 for 2 oz.....the price is apt.

This was a delicious, classic American-English blend when I first tasted it in 2002. Even my wife loved the aroma!

Greg Pease, in his BRIAR AND LEAF CHRONICLES warns tha Latakia loses its umph! with time in the tin. With as little of that smoky weed as this contains...as B.B. King would say...."The Thrill Is Gone." Latakia and Burley, over time, peter-out. Burley loses its nutty, earthy notes, and Latakia fades into a very dark corner, indeed.

Excellent and enjoyable by all when fresh (alas, no longer!) but interesting only for the erudite when aged. One high note--the Turkish tobaccos come to the fore in a musty, fascinating way.

Unless one is experienced in the ways of pipes and tobaccos...pass this by and grab some Junkyard Dog...or Barking Dog... or some species of cat...for those with feline inclinations.

Once delicious...now only a curiosity.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Finally, a mild tobacco with flavor and body. The previous reviewers did a fine job. This blend has the best characters of the components in a mild form. There's not too much of any single component and yet it isn't flat as many milder blends. This is a wonderful smoke. Quite an accomplishment. It is easily an all day smoke. The Room Note is nutty, light and sweet. The Latakia is condimental and fittingly applied in this mild-side of medium blend. I find this a perfect smoke earlier in the day or simply when I don't want a heavier smoke. It is very satisfying even though it isn't a powerhouse. I'm sorry I waited so long to try this. Now it's in the regular rotation.

I've smoked this in every shape and size pipe and have determined that it smokes will in anything. It burns cool, dry and completely to a light grey fluffy ash. It is a perfect tobacco to break in new pipes as well.

Cheers, VC

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the third blend I have tried from the William Serad "Serenity Series" made by C & D. The other two (Repose and Tranquility) were both good in my estimation. All three have some cubed burley that is IMO very good though some of the "cubes" are a little larger than what I have seen in other mixtures. I call this a mixture rather than a blend because of the fact that given all of the various tobaccos that comprise Consolation, all of them maintain their presence. That's my way of saying that the latakia does not overwhelm, and the VA's do not either. Each element is readily identifiable though contributing their own part to the whole. Each element does so in this mixture with great harmony.

The first 1/3 bowl offers nothing extraordinary, but when you reach 2/3 the turkish makes its presence known and the VA's begin to assert themselves. All the while the cubed cuts add satisfying body. The VA's (though I love VA) are not stringent here, but instead add a gentle and developing sweetness.

Good stuff this Consolation.