A different sort of aromatic, not sweet but nutty with a full bottom. Repose adds Turkish with a flash of golden Virginia to a base of cubed burley. This is delicately topped by a master blender's hand with fine rum for a cool, fragrant and winning smoke that won't fatigue or become cloying through the day.

Blended ByWilliam Serad
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringRum
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

C/D Repose … Judging by the small number of reviews this blend has received, Repose does not seem very popular. To each their own, I found after a bit of drying time, a real worthwhile sipping tobacco.

A blend of Burley/Va, and for me, just the right amount of Turkish, what results in a bite free, smooth and very satisfying smoke. This one is a bit rich (IMO) to be an all day smoke, but several bowls in the evening is sure a treat. Easy to pack, lights without trouble and produces clouds rich tobacco tasting smoke. For my taste, it is blends like this one, that has made my pipe smoking so enjoyable, over the years. My personal rating 4+/5

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Typically I enjoy flakes and blends containing rum; there are any number of good ones out there. This is NOT one of them! I could certainly taste the rum (or rum extract) and smell it in the smoke and though the description stated the addition of "a touch of rum", RUM (or an artificial chemical rum) was the dominant theme in this blend. As far as real tobacco taste, FORGET IT, there wasn't much! What little tobacco flavor there was came from the cubed burley component and though the tobacco flavor grew just ever so slightly as I descended through the bowl, I could never bring myself to call it even remotely "flavorful"; it was just dull, flat smoke. And it displayed a slight tendency to bite just a bit--not hard perhaps, but my tongue did register some heat. In my opinion, "Pennington Gap", also from C&D, is a far better choice in the cubed burley aromatic genre. I can find nothing here that would bring me to recommend "Repose" to anyone. It was a chore to get through each bowl. Incidentally, the date on my tin was 4-2-09, so it was hardly what I would consider aged to the point of tastelessness.

LATER NOTE: Several attempts to smoke this blend have not altered my initial opinion.

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)

I've tried to smoke two tins of this on different occassions. Both times my overall all impression was... OWWW!!! I smoke slowly and all that but this tobacco bit like a badger. I tried it in different pipes, packing different ways and at different levels of dryness. Nothing helped. I usually like the constituent components, but this tobacco was more painful to me than an auto da fe.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A while ago, a rather clever wag dubbed William Serad's "Serenity Series" the "Thesaurus" Series. Given the range of blends available--or ONCE AVAILABLE--in this range, the synonymous qualities are titular only. Each is different in its own way.

Repose is a most unusual blend; the only thing that compares with it is the REAL London Dock of thirty-five-years-ago or more. The rum is real, the Turkish is excellent, and the Burleys are nutty. If only some Perique had been added, 'twould be a very time machine to an era long-gone. Should one score a tin or two now...do NOT try adding Perique to recapture the soul of London Dock! That doesn't work.

The nose upon opening of the tin will send one into the ethers; the smoke does not quite deliver on the promise--but it is far from disappointing.

The Virginias age well (my tin was sealed in 2002) and would be infinitely more interesting with Perique. The rum holds its own well-enough...but age diminishes Burley. There's no way around it.

Still...if you find a tin of Repose...GRAB IT! Don't lay it aside in hopes that aging will improve the flavor. It will only degrade with time. Smoke it now...and enjoy!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

So far, this is William Serad's most complete blend, and one of the most elegant and thoughtful tobaccos I have ever tried. The burleys are perfectly cubed cut for even burning properties. No more than two lights are needed to keep this going. The tin aroma is intoxicating. Smoke this in your car and come back about 30 minutes later; pure joy. The rum flavors the tobacco and teases the palate without overpowering; I usually hate boozy blends. The flavors are rasiny, figgy; the aroma, warm, comforting and subtle. The Virginias comfort but never sear the tongue. The Turkish adds an exotic dimension. This is one great tobacco, a crowning achievement. The tin I found is about three years old, so it has mellowed wonderfully. Part of the Serenity Series, hats off to Serad and C & D for putting ecstasy in a tin. Don't miss this one!

Five of five stars -------------------- update 2007 -------------------- Not sure if I let this one age too long, but the first tin was pure bliss and this was, well....let's say I'm no longer that upset that it has been discontinued. Another in a series of C & D sleight of hand changes with regard to blending. I didn't think you could over age a non-aromatic, but in this case, I might've. Or it could've been a poorly blended tin from the get go. In either case, another cascade decline in the C & D line, and rather than saying 'adieu, mon frere,' i'll part by saying 'hasta la vista, baby!'

Two and a half of five stars

LearnedHandsome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LearnedHandsome (10)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had basically given up on aromatics when I purchased Repose. After smoking a number of dressed up aromatics from class outfits like CAOs blue note, and nat sherman offerings I thought it was all terrible. My expectation and experience with aromatics was a sweet smoke that would quickly burn away its artificial flavor and burn hot and or wet for the second half. Not so with repose.

The nice picture on the canister was the sole reason for my purchase.

Repose is a great smoke. It is sweet, flavorful, and burns extremely well. The smoke starts nicely and stays sweet the whole time. It is mild and aromatic but in a more natural way than I have otherwise experienced. The sweetness never overwhelms and also never turns bitter. The second half develops with a little more strength, but it is still a mild smoke. This tobacco tastes very natural; one does not get the feeling that a sugary casing is being burned up.

The pack and burn are fantastic. My most haphazard packing has still turned out great sessions. The burn is slow and even.

The aroma is pleasant and I have smoked it a number of times at outdoor mixed company affairs with some compliments and no complaints. This is a great blend and was a much needed change of pace for me. I smoke bowl after bowl of this.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

This blend has very good bones (I have yet to smoke a C&D blend that doesn't) but I just cannot get interested in it. I have smoked half a dozen bowls of this and have come to this conclusion: This is a very good blend if you love Burley, I am more of a VaPer man and lean more to C&D's light english as well as their aromatics. This is smooth, cool, and does not bite, but just seems very bland to me. As I said, Burley lovers will probably like this blend. And also, I over the years have tried liquor cased blends and almost all of them have tasted bland to me, so maybe I am a bit jaded. Still, as with all C&D blends,top notch tobacco used which has been expertly blended.

One of the previous reviewers indicated this blend was similar to Pease's Barbary Coast and I concur. This, however, is a more complex blend with a sweet/sour aftertaste that I found to be delightful.

The cubed Burley and dash of Turkish and Virginia leaf combine to offer one whale of a nice smoke. The nicotine level is elevated enough to satisfy those who crave that drug, and the flavor sure doesn't play hide and seek - it's there in droves!

Finally, Repose is easy to load and stays lit with little effort on the smoker's part. I think I'll buy more of this and do a little more reposing.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I was given some of this by a dear friend who also writes on this site,and for that I am grateful. I generally am not fond of the "SERAD SERIES",but this is the exception. I love C&D's Black Frigate which contains a substantial amount of Latakia and rum. This has the rum ,but no Latakia. It is truly a wonderful natural aromatic. If you are a rum lover, you cannot dislike this blend. It burns cool and dry with a stunning natural rum flavor. The Turkish really gives this Burley blend a fascinating dimension. This blend simply works on all levels.I recommend this to those who simply enjoy good tobacco! 3 of 4 stars.

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)

I am not sure what to make of this weed yet. I enjoy the taste and the fragrance for certain, and I have experienced only cool dry smokes, however I am suspicious of aeromatics and therefore worry that the strength of the casing could impart itself into my beloved pipes. I was assured by a friend that this would not happen as Repose is a light aeromatic. We shall see. The tin note reminds me a bit of apples? Is that it? I think this is a great tobacco to enjoy and I will continue to buy it when this tin is empty, I may even devote a pipe to it.

Update: I have smoked 10 or so bowls of this blend in many different pipes, I found some cubes or burly mixed in with the ribbon. I usually find it most enjoyable smoking blends of any tobacco leaf on the verge of a slow smolder, and I deffinitly taste apple, be it topping or natural it is present. I also taste the Virginia leaf peeking its headed intonations out occasionally.

This is a great outdoors in the woods smoke for me. My brother lives in Indiana and I am visiting him for the Thanksgiving holliday, today I smoked this all day while following old paths that I ran along with my dogs as a young pup myself. It was there that I found this weeds great strength, and perhaps you can too.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)

This is an excellent high class blend with certain similarities to Barbary Coast (by G.L. Pease but distributed by Cornell & Diehl) and Pennington Gap--- all of which are in my top ten. Mr. Serad seems to be an exponent of blends based on high quality burley. And now I understand why. This is a blend founded on said high quality mellow burley to which is added naturally sweet Virginia and spicy Turkish and then all brought together with a topping of rum. This blend is quite tasty, semi-sweet, aromatic, cool with a steady burn. It is, to my nose, fragrant in the tin and does have a slight greenish tint to it, but it certainly does not taste green and may be a reaction caused by blending rum with Virginia, Turkish, and burley components. Anyway, the color is meaningless; taste and aroma are all. I give this a grade of "A".

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)

What the heck kind of name IS 'repose' for a tobacco, anyway? I like Cornell and Diehl products, but where DO they get these names?

According to the tin description, Repose is supposedly a "non-sweet" aromatic. I found the "rum" flavoring to be pretty strong- pleasant, but strong none the less- and not rummy, at least not like other rum-flavored blends. (So... if you shy away from spirit-flavored aromatics, don't be put off by this one.) It seemed almost flower-like when I first opened the tin, but lost some of that character after being open a while.

At any rate, this seems sweet to me, which is OK. Must come from the virginias, I guess. The turkish component is a somewhat novel addition to a burley-based aromatic, but it seems to work here.

My tin was at just the right moisture, no modifications necessary. The taste, at least initially, was similar to the tin aroma, but then the turkish/virginia combo kicked in and the taste became more natural tobacco-ish. Still, the topping taste lingers throughout the bowl. I have never found burleys all that nutty as some do, and I did not taste nuttiness here.

I seemed to experience a bit of a bite from this blend on some occasions. Not sure if this was a delayed reaction from another tobacco or not. Doesn't seem like it should bite...

This is an aromatic worth trying. It reminds me a bit of MacBaren Plumcake (which also reputedly has a rum topping) but does NOT have the bite that the MB offering possesses. Repose does not stand out from the crowd for me, but the flavor might be just right for some.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)

I will start with what I liked about this tobacco. It had a nice sweet/spicy pouch aroma. Great appearance with the bright Turkish ribbons mixed with the brown cubed Burley. The tobacco itself had a nice full body attributable to the Burley. Definitely not a thin sweet goopy aromatic, but a high-class Burley based blend with added flavor from the rum. The rum also adds a bit of zip to the flavor.

What I did not like is the addition of the Turkish. There is just something about the flavor of Turkish tobacco that puts me off. When I was a die-hard Latakia fan, I had the same aversion to Turkish tobacco (e.g., Dunhill Durbar).

So if you are a Burley fan or otherwise a fan of tobaccos with real tobacco flavor, but not sweet per se, give this a try. If you are not a fan of Turkish tobacco, then you may want to skip this one.

wayno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wayno (5)

I like smoking Repose because it lites really easy and packs easy. You get clouds of smoke and it doesn't bite your tongue. I also like the nutty taste that it has, infact Serads description of the tobacco is right on! "A different sort of aromatic, not sweet but nutty with a full bottom. And it makes a great allday smoke without excess nicotene buzz. I am ordering a pound of this right along with Briar Fox

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

When I first found that William Serad (of P & T Magazine "Trial by Fire" fame) was working with Cornell & Diehl on a series of tobaccos I was intrigued and hoping to try some eventually. When given the opportunity to sample a tin for the purpose of reviewing I was thrilled.

Upon opening the tin I was a little surprised at he green specks evident. My fist thought was, "uh oh - too young". This apprehension soon melted away as I packed my favorite Ben Wade and fired 'er up. First light provided a sweet yet grassy aroma, surely the harbinger of good things to come. Second light came with a little effort, probably due to the size of the "cubes" of burley. Any fears of "green-ness" disappeared as a smooth and nutty/sweet flavor filled my palate.

I kept looking for the rum flavor to come in but this never happened. It became obvious to me that the rum was not intended as a flavoring at all but instead helped to mellow the mixture and remove any sharp edges. The turkish lends its mellowness and the VA's are very present in their sweetness but not over-powering. The burley base gives fullness but doesn't over-power either.

I was also pleased that the blend did not become harsh toward the ends of any of the bowls I smoked, regardless of the pipe I smoked.

I would recommend this as a good all-day smoke, especially if you have a little sweet-tooth. This is not to say that Repose is overwhelmingly sweet. It is not. However, Repose does have a sweetness that comes even in the after-taste.

In my continuing search for a light, hot weather aromatic, I was again disappointed. This is mix of ribbons and chunks but has the greenest tobacco in a blend that I've recently seen. The pouch aroma did not reveal the 'delicate' rum topping. It's so slight that none was detected in the smoke either. It smoked without bite and reasonably cool. However, I just didn't enjoy the taste which I found harsh and slightly bitter thruout. It was as advertised 'a differnet sort of aromatic'. Although I enjoy the tobacco reviews of Mr. Serad in P&T, his tastes as a blender are apparently quite different from mine.

Briar Snob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Snob (10)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Everything that I had read on ASP about this blend led me to believe that it was similar to Barbary Coast. Upon opening the tin (which looked like a cat food tin, incidentally), I was taken aback because what I had expected -- that nice dark Barbary Coast virginia with chunks of burley was insead green virginia with chunks of green burley. Resisting the temptation to muse about Dr. Suess, I smelled the tin, and it did remind me of Barbary Coast, but only slightly. Instead of the brandy topping that I love so much, this blend is topped with rum.

Lighting this tobacco is similar to other burley blends. Upon initial light, the taste is somewhat harsh, but quickly fades when properly lit. Throughout the entire bowl, a very nice bitter sweet flavor reveals itself very much like raisins and perhaps some citrus.

I finished the entire tin in slightly over one month, and figured that I'd wait before purchasing this one again and try some of the other Serenity Series blends. Needless to say, two days after running out, I purchased more and contemplating a bowl right now.

In conclusion, if you like Barbary Coast, you'll like this one. It is a touch less sweet than Barbary, but flavorful (the turkish gives it a nice touch). It might truly be better after proper cellaring.