For the bruised and buffeted Perique lover, this blend offers succor. An unstinting Perique component is supported by delicate sweetness from bright Virginia flake with a darker sweetness contributed by stoved cavendish. A fundament of cubed burley sustains the blend and your hopes.

Blended ByWilliam Serad
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

2.6

Is it possible that the good folks at C&D forgot to add Perique to my tin of Comfort? I did taste the Burley and perhaps a little Virginia. The darkly stoved Cavendish provided some meat to this blend in an unobtrusive sort of way.

The cut varies from cubed to ribbon and is at a perfect humidity level. The burn is also even and the combination was kind to my tongue.

Comfort is no bell ringer, but isn't trash can filler either.

Oh, and good luck finding the Perique in this one.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

I enjoy unflavored tobaccos. A Cavendish can work for me such as Dunhill 965, but basically if it is flavored I prefer to pass on it. I was given a free tin of Comfort so what the heck, I smoked the entire tin. I did not pitch it the way I would usually dispose of such a Cavendish. The taste was medium tobacco flavor. Yes,medium is the best way I can describe the taste. High notes are of course blocked out by the flavoring, but the flavoring is controled to the degree that you still taste tobacco. The overall flavor is not dominated by the perique just as the description by C+D says. That's unfortunate because I would prefer that it would be since perique is beautiful, but each to his own. No, the overall effect is that of burley. Good burley, easy to smoke all day if you want to. Nicotine is not a problem so no dizzy head or stomach the way some of the C+D burleys can be. If you like a smooth Cavendish blend this tobacco will probably please you. Recommended for its type, but not for those who like the pure taste of tobacco.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Aside from the modicum of cubed burley, the extremely fine cut of this tobacco is perhaps only twice removed from being ?tobacco dust.? Thus it packs easily, has good burning qualities and burns fast. And the blend fulfills its billing: the perique does not hold back, i.e., it is ?unstinting.? The perique is always there but I did not find it overpowering or hard on the tongue but rather pleasantly spicy from beginning to end. The Serenity series was ?formulated to enjoy all day.? To me, an all day smoke means a light or light to medium blend, usually one-dimensional, that won?t demand your attention to any great degree. Comfort certainly is this. I understand the Serenity series of blends was developed by William Serad in conjunction with C&D. If you do not like perique, Comfort is probably not for you. If you are marginally warm to perique, then this can be a great occasional smoke. If you like perique, you can surely look to Comfort as an all day smoke. And this tobacco has one of the most pleasant and pleasing pouch aromas of any tobacco I have smoked to date. In summary all I can say is ?Que Serad, Serad.?

I rate this tobacco 9.2 out of 10.

Rocketman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rocketman (6)

OK, here's my thing. At the risk of inviting the ire of others, I really like this tobacco. Visual examination and tactile exploration reveals various colors from off white, thru yellow, brown, to black. The cuts are varied from small flat shards ( and yes, some crumbs ) through cubes, chunks and ribbon. Perhaps it is this variety of cuts which add to its easy burning qualities. This blend is very easy to smoke. There is lots of complexity ( of course...it contains a bit of everything american ), but it can be appreciated without giving it to much attention. Makes it a good smoke while reading, watching a good movie, or listening to Motown. I enjoy tobaccos which need your undivided attention as much as the next person, but sometimes I just want to enjoy a tasty pipefull as a backdrop to some other endevor. This is just such a blend. It is not only my "everyday" smoke, but I find it invaluable for breaking in new pipes as it is cool, smooth, and builds cake easily. I can not say much about room note as I live alone and my "Honker" rules the roost. Also, I don't inhale pipe tobacco and never learned how to blow smoke out of my nose. However, when I smoke this in a full bent pipe, letting the side stream available to smell, well, I like it. It smells like tobacco, a bit piquent due to the perique, but I like it!!! I happen to be very partial to Va/Perique, Burley/Perique, and Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink/Perique blends. But there is no other blend in my experience which tastes quite like this. I'm not saying that it's the best, just different. My only real issue with Comfort is that, in my opinion, it does not lend itself very well to DGT. Perhaps the large portion of Burley contributes to some "ashiness" or a lack of concentration of flavoring oils, I really don't know. Just consider this a "Heads-Up"! My Rating - 82 out of 100!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

The piquant bitterness of the cubed Burley is the dominant flavour note here. One either likes it or one doesn't. I don't much taste the Virginia one way or another, and I certainly don't taste the unstinting Périque at all!

The blend looks and smells wonderful in the tin, and I couldn't call it hateful?I imagine it might be quite popular with the absinthe...er, Burley-loving crowd out there. It is a clean, honest flavour. But I just don't care for it.

martymcg43 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
martymcg43 (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

went from cigarettes to cigars, and now i've picked up a pipe. this was my first pipe tobacco. i thought it was a very pleasant introduction to pipe smoking.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

No, Pipestud, you are not hallucinating-there is little perique here. I found it pleasant but unengaging. I don't know if more perique would have helped or hurt, to tell you the truth. I am never totally disappointed with a C&D blend, but this is not one I'd try again.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Strong

This tin was given to me as a gift. I was very hesitant to try it because of the perique. It smelled wonderful in the tin and decided to give it a whirl. Upon lighting, the spicy perique makes its presence known, it settles down after the relight though. I am afraid that the flavor was not my cup of tea. It did not have the complexity like Haddo's Delight, but rather was a bit harsh. The Perique definitely caused my allergies to kick in, so I had to give up. I forced myself to finish the tin for the sake of a fair review. All I can say is that this tobac was too much work for me and cannot recommend it at this time.

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

My first venture into reknowned reviewer William Serad's Serenity Series (or, as I like to call it, the Thesaurus Series) proved to be a pleasant surprise. Although my understanding is that this blend's not cased, there is a very noticable sweetness upon opening the tin, which suggests to me that there may be rum or somesuch in the cavendish. It matters not to me one way or the other, this is a very pleasant, relaxing smoke. As Perique/Burley/VA blends go, I prefer Comfort's soft sweetness to the tawny-port mustiness of Pease's Barbary Coast. It does have a lot of Perique, though. And if, like me, you find Perique can do weird things to your palette, you probably won't be able to smoke it all day long -- much though you may want to!

Tim W. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tim W. (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Comfort sounded like a blend I would really enjoy, Perique with Va. flake, cubed Burley and stoved Cavendish. Opening the tin, I find the blend's cut ranging from small ribbon to tiny crumbs and very fine stands. The moisture level is about medium to slightly medium plus.

My first bowls were smoked in "regular" sized briar bowls, about group 4 - 5. The flavors are all there, but my high hopes are reduced when I find the Perique (described as "unstinting") really stepping on the other tobaccos, which only server to mute the Perique. It's an OK smoke, but I'm not planning on obtaining any more.

Later, I fire up a small meer with Comfort, and the blend finally develops an interesting flavor, the Virginia is there, the Burley brings in a little bottom note and the Cavendish brings the blend together as a distinctive flavor, which has a pleasant richness. The fine cut doesn't impress me visually, but it does pack very easily and it burns very nicely.

Comfort won't make my "A" list of go to smokes, but it will serve as a good change of pace smoke. If you get a chance to try it, give it a shot.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

After a pleasurable experience with Longevity, and with an acknowledged affection for both burley and perique, I really had to try Comfort in the Serenity Series. Clean pipe, a Cassel 1/8 bent with a slightly larger bowl. Large glass of ice water to keep the palate fresh. Popped the lid. Great aroma, spicy warm and fresh, under aroma of something sweet, but I knew there was no casings here, it must be the black cavendish. Visually, the tobacco has pale, tan/brown, dark brown and black. Springy to the touch, with fair moisture content, a little more than I like, but very reasonable. Filled and tamped, lit twice and there was a fullness in the first tastes of the tobaccos. There is the burley, lightly present, with the virginia flake coming forward. The sense of black cavendish also, then the spicy must of perique. The perique and virginia stays through the first half, smooth on the tongue. Smooth seems to be the operative phrase. Now, I fear virginias generally, for that normally cloying sense and bite. But, that virginia taste is not here. This virginia is full and smooth, clean to the taste. The tobacco takes a relight w/o anger or bitterness, and no bite. I smoke a lot of Edgeworth RRd, and that burley has a musty fullness. This is a lighter and cleaner sweeter taste. I noticed that there is very little moisture, no tightness in the draw. The pipescleaner came out reasonable clean.

I liked this blend, enough to smoke the entire tin over four or five days. I switched pipes for each bowl, and the flavors didn't seem to leave or change discernibly with the change in pipes. Not strong to the taste, just full. I would like to say complete. Last test was in the car with She Who Speaks Loudly. She did not complain at all, in fact she asked me to bring the tin w/ me when we went to friends. High praise from a nonsmoker.