A complex blend wafting condimental leaf through the cubed burley and a special chocolate black cavendish, this is perfect for contemplating the rough road of life. Warm and comforting, with many flavors and a supporting fullness.

Notes: Discontinued Blend.

Pleasant, Tolerable
2.9
emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

The venerable William Serad with his Trial by Fire reviews at Pipes & Tobacco Magazine is known for his inspiring, extra-musical poeticism. I?ll have to say that comparing certain burning qualities and aromas to Wagnerian opera or Mahler symphonies can be a bit excessive, though I still enjoy good writing in whatever forms it takes. Serad has partnered with Cornell & Diehl to produce a line of mixtures known as the Hebraica Series. Apparently, they are inspired by Hebrew scriptures. I first encountered them at the recent Chicago P & T Show. Could these be our first theological blends? I wonder if these are kosher for Passover. Presbyterian comes close to being theological, but that?s only a reference to a branch of Protestantism from Scotland. I was not impressed by the Serenity mixture, though I really enjoy this one. In the tin, peppery and vinegary, like Tabasco. It reminds me a little of a much sourer Valle Crucis. In the pipe, a full hour plus adventure of pipe smoking bliss with a multitude of flavors. It is everything the label advertises: chocolaty, warm & comforting. Elegant tin labeling. This is most definitely a C & D with characteristically Peasean (a new word?) perfection in the cut and quality of the leaf. A fine job and an offering that all discriminating smokers ought to sample. Four of five stars.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I do not like recommending blends that have been discontinued, but if you find some old tins of this, you may want to purchase them.

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Looks like a typical American/English blend. I can't smell the chocolate, I believe the cavendish is "chocolate" in color, not in taste.

Packing and Lighting: Moisture is perfect. I prefer to garvity feed with a light tamp when full. Lights easily, 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Smooth, warm, nutty.

Mid-Bowl: round flavor with no one leaf dominating. Gets into the zone easily.

Bottom of Bowl: A slight increase of strength, no bitterness, ash is dry.

Overall: There is comfort food and there is comfort tobacco. This blend is that. It is a smooth all around tobacco with quality components. Nothing that makes you go "wow!", but nevertheless satisfying. Sorry to see it go...

13.45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
13.45 (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

A mild English blend with a pleasing flavor and smokiness. An easy-going all-day blend that satisfies without requiring too much attention, and without a heavy dose of nicotine. 3 stars

This is what one might refer to as an "Old Timey Blend".It is very reminiscent of great American mixtures such as Iwan Ries'3 Star Series or Wilke blends.This is a very complex and MILD English mixture with a light chocolate topping applied to it.The blend contains Latakia,Perique,and Turkish.They all work in harmony to create a very pleasant and mild flavor with just a hint of chocolate in the background.I would recommend this blend to people moving away from Aromatics,or people who enjoy a light English such as Barking Dog. I am glad I ried it and would suggest you do also. As a side note,Latakia lovers will not appreciate the subtleties of this blend. 3 of 4 stars.

Bear0422 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bear0422 (2)

An exceptional blend. This is the first C&D i've tried and an very pleased with it. I'm normally not a latakia fan, but this one is blended in very subtally. Actually it has made me want to try other latakia blends, also. Very well rounded, medium bodied tobacco.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

I picked up a tin of this while visiting a tobacco shop in another city. The other reviewers were right in their reviews- this is an English blend and is very mild. Too mild for my tastes actually.

The tobacco is a mix of smallish cuts and is certainly cased with something. I'll guess chocolate but really can't tell. It actually smells very similar to Dan Tobacco's Liberty in the tin but tastes better.

This is the first C&D tin I've ever tried and it certainly came more moist than any of their bulk blends. I actually got a little wet dottle every time I've smoked it and thats surprising.

This blend is for very subtle tastes. Personally, I can't get much out of it. The main component seems to be the Burley and flavored Latakia. I can detect no Perique at all. I could recommend this for someone who enjoys lightly topped, English/Aromatic crossovers and doesn't want a nicotine hit. It was way too mild for me and since it's not available locally, I don't think I'll ever try it again.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a tastefully cased or topped Latakia blend. Can't identify the aroma, but there is definitely something there. Pleasant slightly musty but mostly tobacco scent.

First smoke: First puffs are very pleasant. Faintest hint of Latakia, with a nice smooth sweetness. I think this is going to be a keeper. Another bowl will tell.

Second smoke Starts off with solid Latakia taste. But the Latakia quickly places itself in the background. Now the smoke is sweet and round. The smoke is rich and filled with good flavor. This is a keeper.

If you are a strong English Blend fancier then this may seem kind of wimpy. But if you like mild but complexly flavored blends then this is worth a try.

Crazyquilt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crazyquilt (2)

There is a lot going on in this blend.

For one thing, according to the label, it contains not burley & black Cavendish as noted above, but cubed burley, Latakia, Turkish, Perique & VA flake. I chose it more or less at random, when I was casting about for a new blend to try; I had remembered that several of the other Serenity Series were highly recommended, but when I got home, I saw that Solace was the only one that was unreviewed. As this is a fine blend, I decided to rectify the situation.

On opening the tin, a beautiful tobacco was revealed, as could be imagined from such a varied ingredient list. I'm not yet experienced enough to identify tobaccos on sight, but this blend was a fairly even mix from a deep brown and a few flecks of black, up through a scattering of grey-green, to palest blonde. The smell is nice, but not strong. When I stick my nose into it, however, it's certainly delicious.

I've smoked it in a range of pipes, from a small Parker to a large Ascorti. It seemed to like the larger pipes better.

How to describe the taste...it is both light and rich, with a certain sweetness. The Latakia is present, although extremely well behaved. There is some dryness, which I associate with Balkan blends, which balances out the sweeter notes.

I am, as I said, hardly an expert, but I didn't notice the Perique much.

Some blends seem to have many flavors, this one seemed more a blend in the truest sense of the word. This isn't bad; with this many constituents, that could be truly overwhelming. Instead, it has a good and unique, in my experience, flavor.