Robust and possessing a subdued sweetness, Cumberland is a delightfully orchestrated suite of American tobaccos, featuring a rare and exquisite mahogany Kentucky, aged in bales for twenty years. Red and matured Virginias establish a theme; the Kentucky and a pianissimo of perique create the variations. Pure, natural tobacco flavors are harmonized by delicate arpeggios and underscored by deep, resonant tones. The coda is lovely and lingering - a perfect finish to a rich performance. Best savored slowly.

Notes: From GL Pease: July, 2012 UPDATE: Just now, I responded to an email from a chap wanting to know when the aged Kentucky would likely run out. I'm a little embarrassed to say we actually ran out of it some time ago. I didn't even know until some months after the fact, and then, I completely forgot about updating the site and the labels, and there you have it. I've since smoked the new KY alongside some of the aged stuff I have in the library, and am hard pressed to tell much difference, straight, and when blended, they're almost totally indistinguishable to my palate, so we can all stop worrying about when Cumberland will go out of production. As long as we can get dark-fired KY leaf of this quality, we can keep producing it.

The new stuff has been in use for long enough that I can safely say that if anyone was going to notice, myself included, it would have happened, so there it is. I'll change the labels for the next print run, and scrape the egg off my face.

Cumberland was introduced in April, 2002

Taste

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another masterpiece from Greg Pease, this reminds me somewhat of Haddo's Delight without the topping, and with less Perique. This is a very nuanced tobacco, with layers of subtle complexity in its flavors, and constant change throught the bowl as the sweet and savory notes compete. Tin note is the familiar dried fruits: figs, raisins, dates, layered on a base of leather and gorgeous full, natural tobacco flavors. Cut is natural ribbon, and the bits of veined leaf suggest minimal processing. Moisture content is just right and may be easily smoked right out of the tin. Takes and holds a light well.

The Kentucky here must indeed be well-aged as its flavors are less tangy and more subdued. The flavor profiles are subtle, if a bit hot, with salted nuts layered over dried fruits, and the Virginia sweetness very subtle in the background. There is a sweet & savory foundation to this tobacco that is discrete rather than overwhelming, in sharp contrast to many recent offerings in the Kentucky/VA/Perique mold.

Deeper into the first third of the bowl, some pepper emerges from the Perique, used here truly as a condiment, and compliments the salted nut flavors to create a harmonious, delicate balance of what I would class as subdued, rather than assertive, natural tobacco taste.

As I progress to mid-bowl, the sweeter notes from the Virginia's assert themselves beyond the savory elements, but again, it's very subtle. And short- lived: the delicate pepper and salted nut balance reasserts towards the end of mid-bowl.

I find that the Perique asserts more towards the final third and can be picked up through the retrohale, a treat for Perique lovers. But it's never dominant.

This is a tobacco for smokers who love tobacco: deep, rich, leathery, largely savory, and perfectly balanced against a subtle yet ever-present and delicate sweetness.

Truly an American tobacco classic and a must-try for lovers of Kentucky burley, VaPer and VaBur smokers, as well as those who have enjoyed similar GLP blends. An excellent change of pace from the more assertively cased GLP VaBurPer offerings. Think Haddo's Delight or even Barbary Coast boosted up a notch and absent the plum brandy topping.

Very highly recommended.

(update: I've found this blend to smoke better and really shine in a larger, wide- bowl shape such as a pot or large prince.)

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Who was that girl in the fairy tale/limerick who was very very good when she was good and horrid when she was bad?

Ok, this was never "horrid" but in all my years of pipe smoking, I've never smoked a blend whose outcome was so predetermined by my mood, the time of day, the food I ate or even IF I ate, the location, and even possibly the phases of the moon. I could never count on this stuff to come through but when it did, it was absolutely sublime! It wasn't consistent at any time. Sometimes it was great first thing in the a.m and sometimes not. Sometimes it was perfect after a meal and sometimes it tasted like soil. 2 oz was not enough to pin down any logic. A most confounding tobacco. This tin was nearly 2 years old.

This comes in a longish cut, deep mahogany color in the tin and smells like a good burley... sometimes! Yes, there's perique and VA in here and yes I occasionally tasted them. But this seems to me to be a good old burley, unabashedly masculine and robust. It just tastes like tobacco. And sometimes other things that shouldn't be in tobacco. I have no clue how to rate this blend other than to split the diff between when it was wonderful and when it wasn't, so 3 stars it is. GL Pease has a knack for making interesting tobaccos that I can't easily figure out. I gotta stock up on this one and do some more experimentation! Cumberland has some secrets.

Updated 7/26/14 - it took awhile and about 4 more tins for me to figure out the proper cadence to smoke this, and it has become a regular in my rotation. Very spicy and robust but with a smooth, lasting flavor. Excellent! 4 stars all the way!

This is just a great blend for my palate. It presents as a full bodied VaBur solidly on the Bur end of the spectrum. The burley in the form of the Kentucky is the dominant flavor. It is earthy and satisfying. The Kentucky is more nutty and not the spicy you find in something like Superior Round Sliced. There are few notes of slightly sweet Virginia and the Virginia is more present in the last half of the bowl.

The perique is a light touch and is mostly condimental. I pick up a little pepper when exhaled through the nose, and every now and then there is a whiff of plum. There is a complexity here that makes this a wonderful smoke to savor.

This is a solid 4. It is strong, but not so strong as OJK for me. It is probably not a smoke that will be appreciated by beginners. It is very good though with those disclaimers, and you owe it to yourself to try this blend if the description sounds remotely appealing.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Can't add much to what has already been said about this outstanding blend. One of my absolute favorites.

Most tobaccos IMHO improve with age and for me, this is especially true with Pease/ C&D Virginia blends. I have several that I struggled with that I am revisiting and Cumberland (tinned 7/08) is the third one of the four of them. The others being Fillmore, Cairo, and Laurel Heights. Given the amount of Burley in this blend, a leaf with little sugar, I didn’t have high hopes for much improvement. Boy was I wrong! The tin note is a little woody, tangy, lightly sweet and slightly sour. The Burely to me is more earthy and “woody” more than nutty. The red Virginia offers a little tang and has sweetened as have the mature Virginia. The Perique adds a little bit of pepper. Cumberland burns cool and the combination of earthy and sweet is simply delicious. There is a little more acidity toward the end of each bowl, but it’s not a problem. The Burley asserts itself a little more in the later stages of the bowl. It’s moderate in complexity to my taste. The nicotine level, meaning strength, is for me somewhere between medium to strong, and fully strong if pushed. I tend to be picky when it comes to Burley, but Cumberland has won me over. I now wish I had aged more than a couple of tins. So far, this little experiment has proved to be a pleasure.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)

Cumberland by GLPease will intrigue you with an arpeggio of Virginias, graced by an appoggiatura of spicy Perique riding, with each puff, on pedal tones of a rare and exquisite mahogany Burley aged in bales for 20yrs. As Big Daddy Pollitt would say, "Bull!"

The Va's, which should be singing in chords, not arpeggios, are too assertive and sharp, if not downright bitey. As for the Perique, like any seasoning, if you can taste it clearly enough to identify it, you've probably used too much. Nothing subtle here! To me this tastes rather stale, at times acrid, and musty in a bad sort of way. Its apparent popularity is a triumph of marketing hype and the power of suggestion. It's a case of "the emperor has no clothes."

Here's what I imagine happened. A wholesaler whose operating capital has been tied up in rejected leaf for 20 yrs., and on which he has paid annual inventory taxes, offers it to Pease at a huge discount. "What would I do with it?" asks Pease. The wholesaler suggests giving it a fancy name like "Mahogany" and mixing it with sharp Va's and a palate-numbing dose of Perique. Put it in a fancy tin; call it an "artisanal" blend; charge an arm and a leg; and watch 'em lap it up!

Reviewer 'Briarabbit' nailed it earlier: if the Burley had been at all good to begin with, it would have been scooped-up long ago. So why now, just at 20yrs? Think about it. Being low in sugar, Burley doesn't benefit much from any kind of aging. I doubt that a wholesaler, whose job is to move inventory, would intentionally hold back quality Burley, hoping for improvement, duh, for 20 years! To me it's all a lot of marketing hooey.

There are plenty of good American style tobacco blends out there, and this isn't one of them. 20-year-old doo-doo is still doo-doo.

Cumberland gets 1 star for rough edges, poor balance, and unpleasant taste.

Mr. Pease gets 4 stars for chutzpah.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (51)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Having tried many of the Pease blends, this remains my favorite one, with JKP a close second. I am now anxious to try C & D OJK and other American style blends. If you enjoy Burley and Kentucky based tobacco you must try this masterpiece. It's strong, sweet, hearty, and satisfying. There is the spice from the Kentucky and perique interwoven with the Virginia sweetness, resulting In a wonderfully full and delicious blend. A regular for me!

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Connoiseur billiard: cob.

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: GL Pease JKP..

Think Old school, ( OJK). "N" is med. strong., good for that 'N" hit. Reminds me of a blend made up of 50% Union Square , 45% mature Kentucky and 5% Perique . Relatively smooth, if you don't push it, but this isn't one that says "Wow" to me, satisfying, savory, yet boring.

Side comment: The description says the Kentucky is from 25 year old bales ( with a clarifier that this ran out in about mid 2012 ) !!!! Who ages Kentucky for 25 years ???? I think I can hear the conversation at the blenders, "Hey, Greg, can you come up with a blend that we can unload these 25 year old bales that have been just sitting here?" Anyway, it's hard to find less than a 4 star rating prior to early 2014 ( older Kentucky) more lower ratings now , so buyer beware !

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: ojk.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This was a decent enough tasting tobacco, but not great IMO. I have tasted many tobaccos with these components and this one will be very forgettable to me. I enjoyed it more in the beginning, but it got old as time wore on.

My problem with this is that it is just too spicy. There is a substantial amount of perique in it as well as a good portion of Dark Fired Kentucky that has a variety of spiciness as well. The two of these tobaccos severely overwhelm the Virginia IMO leaving it a pile of spice that is screaming for more sweetness or something to dilute it down. I find this a matter of balance and this one just dips too heavy to the spicy side.

I will say that it is much better than Haddo's delight, but that is not saying much. This one was a major disappointment to me as it seemed to be one of those blends I could not help but like. A better pick in this genre is Rattray's Hal O'The Wynd.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Short ribbons of medium width, assorted medium shades of tan, brown, orange and black.

Aroma: First impresion is that it might be an aromatic. The aroma of chocolate and PRUNES hits my nostrils. Very pleasant, and as i continue to sniff and enjoy, it occurs to me that this is the smell of really well matured leaf.

Packing: Packe easily into any size bowl in my collection. Easy to overpack, as it's very soft, but normal care in packing is adequate for a good draw. just don't get too cavalier.

Lighting: Lights very well, sometimes just one match is enough. This is, after all, an American style tobacco.

Initial flavor: The initial taste is very dense and mouth-filling. There is the sweetness of red and orange Virginias, the smokiness of dark Burley, and the slight sour spiciness of Perique.

Mid-bowl: The blend wants to be smoked slowly, for maximum flavor and for coolness. When smoked in a relaxed mood, it is cool and dry, and full of nuances and layers. There is a complete range of hight through low notes present. The contrast of the sweet and smokey and their variations are beguiling. Definitely a stout blend, quite a bit of strength (both flavor and nicotine) from the Burley.

Finish: A bit more Perique strength at the end, but not excessive. Burns to a clean gray ash, no guck in the heel and a fairly clean pipe.

Summary: This is a stout blend. For the nicotine sensitive, don't smoke and drive. Not an eye-opener for me, but a blend for relaxed moments. Excellent with strong coffee or a bit of Bourbon. Just a masterful achievement.

Ozark bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ozark bulldog (3)

Very strong for my taste. I like the smaller amount of perique. Well balanced. Tastes a bit like H&H Delta Days only more refined. Not a all day smoke but great for after dinner. Recommended as such.

Pipe Used: Cobs and various briars

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Delta Days.

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (19)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I've given myself about 6-7 bowls in various pipes before doing a review here. Individually, all these tobaccos in the blend are favorites, and these are obviously quality tobaccos in and of themselves. I am smoking out of a really fresh tin, and this seems like it would need age. About the blend. I get the flavor of the burleys not playing together as the tin description states, but back and forth. Dark fired Kentucky, then a white burley/VA like flavor and then back again. A bit flat and sour. I regularly smoke quite a bit of C&D Haunted Bookshop and Cumberland when smoked in a cob will taste to me like a light version with Kentucky twang. It seems like a lighter and unbalanced Haunted Bookshop flavor profile. The Perique is very faint and can be noticed a bit half way or more into a pipeful. Overall, it just falls too flat for me. I will smoke a couple more and then let it age a year or so and come back to it. The end of the bowl gets a real ashtray and acrid taste.

EDIT: 5/5/17: Just recently cracked the jar to see if a bowl or two would show any profile changes. Really still leaves me personally wanting to just smoke some Haunted Bookshop. Something about it is just not balanced to my taste preferences.

A second EDIT 7/11/17: I've just received a 2003 sample of some well aged Cumberland. This sample has led me to believe I got a one-off slightly off balanced tin, or it just really needs years of age. I will be buying a few tins and forg tying them in th cellar for a decade or better. The 2003 was great. The Virginias has aged well and that might have been the ticket, as well as aged and subdued Kentucky I imagine. Raised my rating one star for the aged to average it out a bit. This sample also would have contained the original well aged Kentucky leaf that the tin description notes as well for such a difference to the fresh tin.

Pipe Used: Briars, cobs, phenolic resin, and clay

Age When Smoked: Tinned a week before smoked,again 5 months later

Purchased From: SP

Similar Blends: Burley dark fired Kentucky and Virginia blends., Like a light version of C&D's Haunted Bookshop..

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Some tobaccos are not meant to be gourmet complex evening smokes ( I consider some of the gawith Hogarth flakes that way, and I guess St James Flake by sam gawith, or even some of those great mcclelland virginia flakes and Reiner's Long Golden Flake) but are also not exactly all day smokes. They are something in between -- but there is another niche (IMHO) that I think of as partly all day smokes, particularly suited to long drives (which my work imposes on me). Cumberland is the perfect car on a long highway drive smoke. Old joe Krantz is another. You want some nicotine and you want a no fuss easy to handle smoke. Now I prefer flakes and plugs, but they can be demanding. Cumberland is a burley blend, really, with a fair amount of Virginia (a lot of red it tastes like) and a bit of Perique. There might be a subtle casing in there, too, though not very strong (not as strong as Haddo's). Its more complex than one might think, but still a pretty straight forward working mans blend. Easy to light and burns pretty cool (there can be a bit of flavor loss toward the end of the bowl, but not a lot). It has punch, and a great burley nut flavor enhanced with virginias. The Perique isnt very prominent, but its there. It gives what complexity t here is. I give it a 3 and a half star rating. Close to four, but then I dont think its meant to be that kind of masterpiece. All i know is I keep a couple tins on hand.

Purchased From: 4noggins

RedDirtBlueSkies Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RedDirtBlueSkies (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend is for the Red Va lovers. I'm revisiting this blend after a year of age, hoping that it had sweetened up a bit. Though this blend did not develop the way I had hoped, I can tell that age does great things for C&D Virginias. To me the Red Virginias add a very earthy, vinegary taste, while the Kentucky provides this baseline flavor that reminds me of unsweetened bran cereal. The Perique plays in the background adding complexity to this blend; this was actually my favorite part. This blend was not for me, but if you like McClelland 5100 or HH Anniversary Kake, this blend is a much more earthy, less sweet comparison to those.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Disappointed with this one. The tin aroma is intriguing with a synergistic play between the mahogany kentucky leaf and the whisper of perique producing almost a slighty tangy and faintly smokey beef jerky-like bouquet. The balance seems excellent in that regard. However, when smoked, the base of virginias seems too flat. This blend needs a more pronounced underlying sweetness to round it out and pull it all together. It's actually somewhat bland and muddy taste wise. It seems to me that this blend would be better if it were pressed and matured to develop more sweetness and character. Left to it's status quo ribbon cut then a bit of sweet casing to the virginias would help it along.

Age When Smoked: New, production 021414

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

The charring light of a bowl of Cumberland is most enjoyable and brings forth a slight tang along with a spiciness that lasts through the entire smoke. At the beginning of each bowl a very subtle sweetness comes to the forefront with a smoky chocolate like undertone. As the bowl progresses, Cumberland's primary flavor profile constantly teeters on the slightly bitter dark-fired driven side of the spectrum. This mixture is not devoid of sweetness, it's there, but it's only enough to assemble harmony. Altogether the Virginias do provide exceptional balance but for the most part they never seem to get ahead of flavor curve. And as for the Perique, it's there, but again in balance.

In the pipe, it performs wonderfully. It's easy to load and burns well, (albeit moderately fast). Nasal exhales are smooth with a delightfully edgy tingle. Cumberland is a very enjoyable yet somewhat simple mixture. The flavor is polished and about as sophisticated as rustic can get. It isn't as complex as other mixtures that I enjoy but it still manages to be a mainstay in my rotation.

I can't smoke most Burleys without risking a scorched tongue. Yet at times I pine for a blend that strikes those same hearty flavor chords. For that, Cumberland is the perfect surrogate.

Age When Smoked: 12

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Original Mixtures: Cumberland = OMC

Is this a "shibbon" or is it a "rag"? Whatever you call it, the presentation is rather loose and dry, and the rich tin note suggests the initial smoke. Gently loaded, it lights and smokes like a dream that is gone in 60 seconds. Yet, somehow, this is time enough for a few surprises. Smoking this, I am reminded of Orcilla Mixture, despite the profiles have nothing in common. But both these tobaccos have a certain "throwback" quality that "takes me back" to 1970. Simpler times? Well, yes, and no.

The first few puffs of OMC burn off the light and delicious topping, smelling and tasting of sugared, damp silage and saddle soap, with just a breath of cocoa. Enjoy it while you can. From here, OMC begins to unfurl its aged Kentucky, tempered with a judicious pinch of Perique, while the VA seems to serve as a "reference" without running the show, sticking close to the KY throughout the bowl. This KY/VA pairing quickly establishes a solid "base" of a sort not common to ordinary Burley, while the Perique is ever-present but also fairly mild and condimental. The smoke is a good deal richer and deeper than the average VA/Bur, and it smells great. You can make nice, big, complimentary clouds of it if you puff hard enough, but this must be weighed against a faster burn and the resultant heat. My own balance makes for a singular taste and aroma that I do not recognize apart from this blend. It's not the "figs" or the "pepper" one might anticipate, nor the "nuts", especially, rather it's a deep, unusually mellow tannin that morphs and enriches the "saddle" and "silage" qualities; hard to explain, and hard to resist, and this applies to the aroma, as well. Back to the figs and nuts, they are stragglers here, typically showing up after the smoke is well under way, but they are hardly late for the party. They enhance a rich, non-peppery, Bur/Per aftertaste that always makes me want more, even more so when the Va sugar makes a surprising return. Strength is toward strong from medium. Tastes are toward full from medium. Room note is OK, considering. Aftertaste is best of the smoke. It troubles me not at all that OMC is "different" each time I smoke it, but not so different that it changes its profile. Changes involve nooks and crannies, while you can count on the surprisingly rich, All-American flavors.

Hard to predict how a full English lover would react to OMC, given the solid body, there despite no Latakia, not to mention the unusual Burley (KY) that defines the blend. I have to give it 4 stars because it is unique in my experience, and - most importantly - it is better for it.

Update, 09-13-13: I recently read on GLP's website that the ancient Kentucky bales that Pease originally touted for Cumberland had been depleted for some time prior to his July, 2012 public notice of the fact, also prior to the time the tobacco I reviewed was tinned. Of course, this does not change my review; just saying, FYI. I also wanted to point out that Pease obviously knows how to prepare and blend distinctive tobaccos, and all of his offerings that I've tried, even blends with "the same" base component tobaccos, differ enough, one from the other, to justify themselves.

Pipe Used: various briars

Roy Odhner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roy Odhner (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a great blend, and an understated bit of tobacco blending genius. If you're one of those pipe smokers that love "kitchen sink" blends - you know, everything plus the kitchen sink thrown into the blend - then you probably won't like this.

Cumberland is comprised of just three basic tobaccos: Kentucky (burley), Virginia, and Perique. But these three tobaccos are blended in a way that is nothing short of genius. The sweet Virginias play off the nutty burley, and the ever so light peppery quality of the Perique goes gently dancing in and out of the smoke. No gimmick or cute marketing ploy here - just three solid, traditional tobaccos blended together by somebody who knew exactly what he was doing.

About the only thing that is particularly noteworthy about any of the tobaccos used in this blend is the age on the Kentucky leaf - it's 20 years old. Burley may not age like Virginia leaf, but something wonderful must happen to it because there is something about this burley that is just fantastic. I think it's what makes the whole thing work, cuz if the blender had just used regular burley this blend would just be another VaBur.

But it's not. It's a rare stroke of tobacco genius, and I think you owe it to yourself to lay your hands on a tin or two, while you still can. Sooner or later it's gonna be gone, and it would be shame if you missed out on this one.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Cumberland is my favorite of Pease's blends. The amount of perique in this, blended superbly with the Virginias and the burley cultivar Kentucky, is minimal, and just provides a little boost. The Virginia, while a presence, isn't the driver of the blend, either. To me, it is the Kentucky that gives this a distinctive flavor and attraction. I wasn't expecting what I got. The blend itself is pretty, with browns, yellows, and black. The tin aroma is unlike any I've encountered as well; I would have sworn I was smelling a can of roasted coffee mixed with a mild English blend of tobacco, with perhaps a raisin or two thrown into the mix. The tobacco is slightly on the dry side, but is plenty moist enough. It packs into a bowl with ease, and lights extremely well. Relighting is rare.

The first bowl of Cumberland I smoked was in a Don Carlos Oom Paul, a very neutral pipe used almost exclusively for light Virginias. My first thought was of an English blend in character, but minus the latakia. The nutty taste of the Kentucky provides a wonderful counter to the sweetness of the Virginia, while the perique, though quiet, asserts just enough of itself to bring in a richness, fruitiness, and pepper/spice as an undertone. The Virginia is somehow subdued and even tamed by the other constituents of the blend. As a Virginia lover, I wasn't sure at first if I liked that, but as a burley smoker I realized, the deeper I got into the bowl, that I was genuinely enjoying the smoke. When trying new tobaccos I like to inhale a puff or two so I can see how it hits me. Cumberland felt smooth, and I didn't get a big nicotine rush; the exhalation gave my nostrils a treat.

I initially bought three tins of Cumberland, in the initial tinning some years ago. The first was opened the day the package arrived, and stayed in my pipe bag. I wanted to try it in most of my pipes, just to see if I could detect differences. The second tin was saved for a few months to see how this blend aged short-term, and it does superbly. And the third tin I set aside and still have in my cellar, saved for a rainy day. Since those first three tins I've purchased untold pounds of Cumberland, and can't imagine not having this blend available. There aren't enough words to praise this stuff!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: June, 2010

From Pease's website: “Ripe, red Virginia tobaccos create the frame in which some truly special Kentucky dark-fired leaf is exhibited. This leaf has a depth and richness that is rarely seen in tobaccos of its type. A measure of stoved and matured flue-cured is added to provide a gentle sweetness and solidify the foundation. A little Louisiana perique provides a piquant spice, and a subtle fruitiness.”

Appearance: Mostly lighter-colored leaf, expected from the lack of Latakia. The extremely occasional dark bit betrays a whisper of Perique.

Tin Aroma: The aroma is quite mild, a very woodsy and earthy affair with little of the grassy Virginia character. I don't know the percentage of Kentucky leaf here but it dominates the aroma. I like it.

Flavor: Wow, this one is tough! I have had four star puffs in a two-star bowl, it seems very pipe-dependent, and in the wrong pipe it's absolutely nothing to write home about. But in the right pipe, paying close attention and using careful technique this blend could be categorized as a sleeper.

In general it's an up-front burley blend, but this really does seem like some special weed. On his website Pease talks about discovering a stack of these 20- year-old bales somewhere and buying the whole lot, enough, he says, to make 60,000 tins of Cumberland. Having no idea how many tins per year he sells, I can still imagine that some day when it runs out, this blend will go the way of the other Pease blends that now command high prices and fond memories. This Kentucky has a woodsy character that at times actually borders on “meaty'” for lack of a better term. Yes, it was a special find.

When it's in the zone it's great, and when it's not, it's far from great. Perhaps I should have saved my “La Donna Mobile” analogy for this blend since it seems quite likely to change its mind at any given time. It seemed to work best in one of my star Virginia pipes, a GBD pot whose diameter is roughly equal to its depth. It lit and burned beautifully, requiring few if any relights, and the last third of the bowl seemed consistently the best as the flavors richly melded and the Perique spice became a little more evident.

I am not a Burley fan but this has surprised me a bit. It's reticent to give up its secrets and therefore will require many more bowls to unleash its true potential. More Virginias would probably make it more personally appealing to me, making it a two and a half to three star blend. If I could keep it in the zone it would easily rate three stars. But for Burley fans I can't see how this could disappoint and would probably rate four stars.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

Life is too short to have to baby your smoke. I want a tobacco that is forgiving when puffed on with regularity. Cumberland, fortunately, is one of those forgiving tobaccos that won't fire up your mouth if puffed on with aggression. A subtle bite of pecan flavor hits the tongue from the Burley and stewed prunes flavor from the pinch of Perique will tickle the cockles of many smokers.

popo 5-0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
popo 5-0 (2)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma: Slightly smoky in the vein of the kentucky not latakia smoky, some perique tickle in the nose.

Taste: Nutty at first, i only really detect the burley and kentucky. The mouth feel is really full and rich. As the smoke goes down a myriad of flavors come through, not particularly complex but very satisfying. The perique emerges about ion quarter of the way down the bowl and marries well with the burley.

I primarily smoke VaPers and think this is a good blend to try if you want a change of pace.

I believe this blend will appeal to those who like perique, as well as burley smokers.

i found sipping this tobacco and smoking slowly helps bring out the best of this blend.

I really enjoy this and is a everyday smoke for me.

This is a strong blend from a nicotine perspective. I have been a user of chewing tobacco and dip for almost 16 years and have a fairly high tolerance. most blends i do not even feel a nicotine hit, but i get a decent hit from this blend especially if i have not eaten. It is not overwhelming, but is present.

takes to the flame really well, packs well.

I have never had to relight, burns to a clean ash with no dottle.

Also have not experienced any ghosting.

Pipe Used: mastro de paja group 4 cherrywood

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (66)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Tobacco of excellent quality.

But I tend to agree with most people here, Cumberland is a bit drab.

Quite possibly if I smoked one pipe per week, then Cumberland would be deeply satisfying.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh.

Purchased From: Online somewhere.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)

This is a good tobacco that has just enough perique to make it interesting. Nic hit is right up my alley. In my opinion it's somewhat reminiscent of C&D Bayou Morning.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a very lucky guy, my friend give this blend after he keep it for 1 year and half and he give it to me at last 2014 January and now after 6 months I keep it on my desk tonight I open it and I start to smoke this stuff on my pipe. The tin note is good, with a scent of dried raisin follows with baked bread.

The cut and moisture is great, in coarse cut is very easy to make layers pack on my pipe and I'm using Comoy Tradition 36 which is deep narrow bowl but I don't have any trouble to pack it well. Easy to light and keep it on my pipe so I can enjoy well long time smoking with this blend. The burn is well and quite cool with a great smoke so I start it with a heavy great smokes that made me cought because it follows with baked bread taste that is new for me.

After I get usual with the baked bread taste, a little bit peppery taste came with a small amount. I'm a Telegraph Hill fans so I think this stuff is contains less perique, the dominant taste is baked bread with less fruity taste and follows with similar taste of american cigars and it consistant until I finish the whole bowl.

The strength is increasing from medium to strong, so this stuff is really good to enjoy at late before go to bed. With a cup of tea or green tea this blend is so nice to smoke and feels so well on my palate. No intense to bite but with enough strength to enjoy a little bit heavy smokes.

Pipe Used: Comoy Traditon 36

Age When Smoked: 2 year

rsuninv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsuninv (2)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review so please bear with me. I have been piping for about two years and have smoked aromatics and some light English blends but decided based on reviews and finding a 2005 tin of this blend I made the leap.

I couldn't have done better if I tried. This blend is amazing. Easy to pack, light and puff. Zero tongue bite (refreshing based on my limited experience) and beautiful flavor. I taste pepper, sweetness, boldness and complex flavors I can't begin to describe.

This why I started to smoke a pipe. I haven't smoked anything prior to going on the pipe and I can tell you I am now spoiled. I have a fairly large bowl Dunhill apple that I have now dedicated to this blend. The pokers I own also perform well but in my limited experience the bigger the bowl the more this blend opens up.

I am going to buy some more because I am already worried eight ounces will go faster then normal and I'll be out.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)

About 3 years ago I tried a few bowls of GL Pease Cumberland and promptly wrote it off as something that I don't like at all. I don't know if it was my mood, the pipe was too small or ghosted as to wash out the flavor or I just hadn't developed a good sense of what tobaccos I really enjoy. I suppose we can just chalk it up to being a curmudgeon. In the three years since I've tried Cumberland I've gone away from English and latakia blends and moved squarely into all burley blends. Particularly I favor burley, Virginia and perique in some combination along with maybe some unsweetened black cavendish and/or just a pinch of latakia. Old Joe Krantz is my go to blend and since I've been hooked on it I've smoked little else until lately.

I was going through my old reviews of pipe tobacco and was curious what other burley blends were out there that had a combination of burley, Viriginia and perique. I came across Cumberland again and thought "hmmmm, I don't know... I really didn't like that stuff." Luckily my stubbornness prevailed and figured I didn't give it a fair shot. I ordered a couple of tins and I've been smoking it exclusively in a Custombilt bent pot. I don't know what it is about Custombilts but they are the finest burley burning implement ever created. It may be the bowl geometry and the briar but I suppose that's another discussion. On to the tobacco...

There's a very nice earthy scent from the tin with very faint hints of fruity perique. The color is a mottled brown appearance and nothing too noteworthy or attractive. I do get just the faintest hint of that old Kentucky with what seems a very faint scent of smoke. Fantastic smelling stuff and I had my wife smell it who instantly recoiled because of the faint smell of smoke (she absolutely abhors latakia). Loading is easy: just dry out a bit to your preferred moisture level, fill to the top of the pipe and then tap and add more 'baccy to the pipe until it needs just a gentle tamp. It takes to light very easily and burns like a champ with no fuss.

The taste is robust with plenty of flavor and smoke to go with it. There is a slightly sweet, nutty taste that is the main player followed by the dark Kentucky. The perique comes only in whispers and is more an underpinning that helps add interest. One item of note is that the Kentucky adds a tone much like Petersons Irish Flake but not as forward as Irish Flake. There is no tongue bite to speak of.

Overall this is wonderful blend. In fact I liked it so much I've ordered 6 tins for the cellar and there will be more in the future. I haven't been very enamored with any of the other Pease blends that I've tried but this one is definitely an interesting burley blend that Mr. Pease has done masterfully.

If you like a Kentucky-based blend, you need to give this a try; for me that was the predominate note, the rest adding some interest. This worked best in a cob for me. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is not too often.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Superb flavour. I like burley and vapers so this was a no brainer. Very smooth and mildly sweet the whole way to the bottom. My only criticism would be that if you are not attentive it does require a few relights. A small price to pay for such fine tobacco. Medium nicotine and would make a great all day smoke if you can afford it. Softer than straight VA's that i love, so makes a good alternative if your a bit tender in the mouth from to much pipeing.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Dry, tasteless,musty, tongue niping, overpriced weed. I really felt ripped off. GLP makes some nice blends but please, is this the Emperor's new clothes? The burley in this blend tastes like they were left in an old dusty warehouse.This blend made me sneeze.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Cumberland is a high quality mixture featuring Kentucky with nice Virginias to provide sweetness and a pinch of Perique for spice. Very enjoyable, but my palate keeps asking for more virginias in this tobacco. Nice burning qualities.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just love this, I smoked my 2oz tin in a week, a classic American blend unmatched by any European blender today. For me it jumped to and fro from the Burley (Kentucky) and VA's as you smoked it, but the burley always dominating most. But if you love burley and VA's and don't like a casing AND want some nicotine this fits the bill on all four counts. Simply put a classic American blend in a great understated way...my favorite of Greg's blends so far....and lots more to try. Just good honest tobacco here.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I found a 2 oz. tin a few years ago that smoked fantastic and it made me feel like there was still hope. After a year I finally ordered an 8 oz. tin and was quite depressed that the flavor was not the same. Lid on and stored away for 2 months I packed a bowl and found the old friend again. I suggest that this tobacco be allowed to breath a little before smoking in order to enjoy the full flavor. The full flavor and consistant burn is a joy to smoke. I think every smoker should sample this great American treasure.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)

I've finished a tin dated from Nov. '05. When bought, it had a solid three years in the tin.

I have to say that this had to grow on me a bit. At first it was way too much burley. But the other components did sing the right notes, so I kept on trying it once in awhile to touch base and acclimate to the burley level. There was never any doubt in my mind that the Kentucky was of the highest quality, I just don't generally care for a predominate burley flavor in my smoke. I find that it tends to overpower most of the things it's paired with.

After a few months, I did fall victim to it's siren song. The strong Kentucky is something that I look forward to from time to time. It has a very different taste after the 20 odd years of age. Rounder and more able to match well with the Virginia and the Perique. It did take awhile to adjust my palate to the assertveness, but this is some very tasty stuff. No place for a novice to begin, but for the more experienced smoker, a delight.

The vitamin N level is exactly where I like it. The flavor of all components marry well and I think if you are a burley lover, this will be your cup of tea. It just took me alittle longer to appreciate it.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In my humble opinion, this is a great example of how an all American blend should taste. I find Cumberland to be very smooth and soothing. I may be in the minority when I state I find this to be a great all day smoke. I have been smoking this for several months in various size pipes and find it delightful &, thankfully bite free. I also find it very similar to Three Friars by C&D (another fine blend). While Cumberland may not be as interesting or subtle as some of Mr. Pease's other blends, a la Hado?s, it is a consistent straightforward smoke sure to please burley and Virginia fans. In this regard, it is unequivocally the best of its sort I have ever tried. It burns well, does not get overly hot and delivers all the flavors one could expect. If you are looking for subtle nuances as you proceed down the bowl look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a consistent satisfying all natural Virginia and burley blend you need look no further. In short, this is an amazingly straightforward blend.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)

I have made it a habit to date all my tobacco when I store it away in my cellar. I was taking an inventory of my tobacco stores recently and ran across a 2 oz. tin of Cumberland. The date on the bottom of this tin is 7/05. I have been smoking it all week at work and have been in heaven since the first pipeful. This is a nice full bodied smoke that has many layers of flavors and complex characteristics. This is a truly magnificent blend of crinkle cut Kentucky burly, sweet Virginia's and a splash of peppery perique. This tobacco starts off nice and sweet on the light up. When enjoyed slowly it mellows to a nice full nutty smoke with cigar like overtones that is sure to satisfy the mature pipe smoker. The finish is a crescendo of spice and pepper form the perique. This is definitely not an all day smoke and deserves quiet contemplation while smoking. It is my experience most full flavored tobacco's improve with age. I am sure Cumberland is no exception to this belief. However I have never had the opportunity to smoke any that was not well aged. Nice work Greg! Four Stars.....

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Quite the controversial blend eh? I have smoked cigarettes for years and don't see any similarities between cigarettes and Cumberland as some reviewers note.

Yes, it needs to be savored slowly as Mr. Pease recommends; however, that is sound advice for many pipe tobaccos. I have tried the current tin (a little over a year old) in a small Kaywoodie white briar apple, a Peterson 999 Donegal and a brand "new" 1989 Savinelli POY. It is delightful in all three.

A dedicated pipe may be a good idea or at least a pipe that is dedicated to Virginia/Burley/Perique only and small to medium bowls sizes work best for me.

I like it a lot and give it 3 1/2 stars. I guess that rounds up to 4 on this site.

I have 10 tins that have been in my cellar for as long as 6 years. I am hoping for sublime results as it ages.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Theorically, this MUST be right, according to the description, the blender´s reputation and some of the comments. I agree with someone who says that this requires a thoughtful review, and to finish more than one tin to rate it properly. But the problem is that I couldn´t even finish the first bowl, not to say a whole tin!

I tried to, but every time I made the effort to open the drawer and take it, my body started to shiver, sweat cold, my stomach ached strongly and my nerves collapsed. I just couldn´t.

The smell in the can is very appealing, though. I wouldn´t dare to ever again draw a match near it.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

I am totally rewriting my review. Initially I had only glowing things to say about Cumberland; its flavors, its aroma, etc. Upon opening the tin it is one of the best smelling tobaccos I have smoked. And smoking it right after opening is a wonderful experience on the palate.

I had a year and a half old tin that I just openend, and smoked for a few days. About four days after opening it, I resealed it with my foodsaver vacuum sealer. There were no air leaks, and it was not dried out when I sealed it. Now, a few months later, I have reopened it.

The tobacco remains a fairly constant moisture, neither too dry nor too moist. But the aroma was all but gone. I could pick up hints of perique, and only a shadow of the kentucky. The va.s were very week in aroma. Somewhat disappointed, but undaunted nonetheless, I packed the very same pipe I last smoked it in. On first light, the flavors were certainly there. But they faded rapidly. A quarter of the way into the bowl, and it was just ashy and acrid, with the merest dopple of perique playing peek-a-boo.

Summarizing, I would say that this tobacco seems not to have a good shelf life once opened. I don't understand this, as I have left tins of MacBaren Plumcake around for months after opening, and it loses very little flavor. Now, it may be that Greg uses nothing in the way of preservation, and his tobacco is meant to be used up within a few days of opening. But I still find this situation a bit consternating, and have to downgrade my rating from four to only two stars. Sorry Greg.

alfredo_buscatti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alfredo_buscatti (9)

In this blend I find the Mahogany vying with the Virginias, it?s earthy element present in every puff, albeit in much smaller proportion than in other burley blends I?ve smoked such as Old Joe Krantz. This Mahogany also goes by another name??20 year-old fire cured Kentucky burley??which Craig Tarler stated was the same tobacco used in his blend ?Easy Times.? Whatever it?s name, the Cumberland Mahogany is expertly blended, never taking control but a coequal partner to the Virginias. Regarding the Virginias, my palette is not yet sufficiently sophisticated to separate the red and matured Virginias, but their presence is undeniable, also coequal to the Mahogany. The Perique adds zest but with a gentle hand.

Blended as they are, these tobacco strains yield a blend with finesse, as do other Pease blends; but this blend is different, an effort to incorporate the Mahogany without letting it dominate, matching its dark tones with the midrange notes of the Virginias, and then adding just enough Perique to enliven the show. Pease complexity, for me, does not occur with Cumberland as it does, for instance, with Renaissance; that is, the different tobacco strains do not in variable order make their presence known, coming to the fore and then receding as the next tobacco makes its appearance. Rather, it is the totality of these strains all present at once, rendered with a masterful hand, that makes me label it superbly balanced, that gives the blend an elegance and refinement.

I do find that the blend is best smoked slowly; also, the tobacco I?m smoking is as at least six months old. Straight from the tin the Mahogany can have an astringent quality. I feel this blend needs 6-12 months of aging before smoking, and this review is based on a batch of this blend with 12 months of age.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)

About a year ago I purchased a can of Cumberland tobacco from my local B&M. Based upon reviews here and on ASP I was expecting a great smoke.

Well, Cumberland just didn't ring my bell. The leaf looked and smelled fine, altough it was a bit wet. Upon lighting up, it just didn't work for me. The flavors didn't marry well, and I found it to be a hard smoke: wet and producing severe tongue bite no matter how hard I tried to smoke it gently. After half a dozen bowls, I sealed it up and put it away in my "chalk it up to experience" pile.

A year or so later I am poking around the bowels of my tobacco cabinet looking for something different to smoke one evening, and I rediscover the can of Cumberland. Would I, could I, should I subject myself to this abuse again, I wonder in trepidation? I put on a brave face and load a bowl...

Wow, did I pick up the wrong can or what? This stuff is fantastic. Much drier and darker than previously, the smoke is sweet and smooth with deep, complex flavors that compliment each other well. I am usually not a big Burley fan but it works for me in this blend, adding a dimension to the Virginias that I really enjoy. I am going to order some Cumberland in bulk and put it up for a year or so.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I completely agree with BriarRabbit and Pipestud just read their reviews. I couldn't have said it better. I'll also add that this is the ugliest tobacco I've ever seen. Looks and tastes like they swept up the floor at the end of a hards day blending and made Cumberlend.

Funny thing about this blend' it starts off great and in two seconds it goes bad and gets worse, oh well move on to the next one.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is the stuff that legends come from.

I delayed obtaining this blend because of the somewhat mixed reviews, but when Mike of Classicpipes said, "Here you go Stan, you'll like it, " I was hooked. I said some of the reviews feel the aged burley is too strong. Mike explained that lots of traditional english or virginina smokers look down on burley, so I had to form my own opinion.

This is the best burly blend I've had to date. Granted most of the blend is virginia I'm sure, including a good amount of red virginia. I don't taste the perique, which does keep this strong blend fairly cool. However, the major player is the aged kentucky burley used. The virginia adds a little natural sweetness, but this is by no means sweet in an aromatic sense. The very deep earthy-nutty belch of the burley keeps you entertained throughout. A steady flavor.

The blend lights and burns steady and easy, so fast puffing may be a temptation. That's where its strength may overpower you. Puff slowly as Mr. Pease advises on the tin, maybe not as slow as with a delicate bright flake, so you get the richness without the dread. Savor it; don't rush it.

I'm sure C&D has a couple of similar sounding blends (e.g., Old Joe Krantz), but without the aged burley in it that makes this blend what it is -- a legend in the making. McCranies Old Masters (with more burley than this one) and McArris (with more sweet virginia than this one) are close but lighter. Edwards Colonial is the closest thing I know of in nutty richness, but it has more burley and less virginia than this one.

Very rich, tasty, satisfying, easy burning, reasonably cool for a blend of this weight unless puffed fast, and dry (could still use one pipe cleaner during the smoke) smoking; this is another tobacco that should be knighted. Recommended to red virginina and burley die-hards.

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I broke my own rule, and am reviewing this after only 2/3 of a tin. I have had this in the drawer for a while, and I let it dry out one too many times. I think I will retire this tin, (as I have 4 more in the cellar).

Visual: Gold with a reddish hue and a smattering of black strands. Nice and fluffy with a leathery quality to it.

Texture: Stringy and soft to the touch. The tin smell is 100% quality tobacco aroma. I love it!

Pack/Pipe: I sprinkle a large pinch onto a piece of paper and primp it apart with my fingers before trickling a pinch into a Von Erck Classic. (This is a rare case where I dedicated a pipe to the tobacco.) The pipe has an agressively tapered bowl and I pack it lightly, repeating the sprinkle and tamp only twice.

Lighting /Burn: One match to char, one to light and we are off. The tobacco lights easily and puffs up in the bowl quite a bit. A quick tamp, and the ember begins its journey to the bottom.

1st 3rd: I won't usually refer to a cigarette when making a complimentary statement, but the first draws on the pipe give the effect of a very high quality French or English cigarette. Lots of strong tobacco taste with a nice big mouthful of white smoke. By the third or fourth puff, the Perique has made its presence known and there is a slight sweetness as I let the smoke escape my mouth. Being the widest point of this bowl, the tobacco takes a little while to burn down for a first tamping.

2nd 3rd: Now I am into the narrower deeper part of the bowl, and the flavor becomes much more intense. Again, great tobacco flavor with a caramel overtone. This does not taste like any of the VA/Perique flake tobacco that I love so much. Another two tamps and I'm on the way home.

Final 3rd: I normally am able to smoke all tobaccos in all of my pipes to the bottom with 1 or no relights. Although this is a moderately dry and loose tobacco, I almost never was able to smoke it to the bottom of the Von Erck. ?? The final portion of the bowl gets a bit ashy tasting to me, and often needs multiple relights.

Notes: Another Pease blend that I enjoy smoking, and that does not contain the dreaded element that wreaks havoc with my tongue as do Haddo's and Cairo. I did not experience the tongue bite that many other Cumberland smokers have attested to, and overall look forward to my next tin.

Stogie rating of: 6 Mild Macanudos

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)

Starts up somewhat flat and muddled in flavor delivery and strength. Then smooths out to good tobacco flavors, medium strength and flavor. Always a hint of sweetness present, with the Virginias and burley weaving in and out as a predominant flavor. Perique hits as a subtle hint on the exhale. Retrohale has a pepper note. Quite a pleasant experience. Stays lit well, with a consistent burn. A solid 3 star blend, with very good tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Italian Basket

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (25)

Great tin aroma as it has a strong, sour leathery note that immediately reminds me of corn silage. It has a very well-rounded flavor of sweet graham cracker and wheat bread with spicy perique on top.

I have a February 2011 tin and its moisture level is perfect. Agreeable cut which is east to light.

This isn't an overwhelming tobacco but rather a pleasant, nuanced smoke. Well worth a try.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)

"The coda is lovely and lingering - a perfect finish to a rich performance. Best savored slowly".

Take note. These words couldn't be more true. Be sure and smoke it slow and there will be plenty of enjoyment attached to it. A little perique goes a long way.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Now THIS mixture is full and rich. Cumberland begins strong and ends in damn near overkill. I like that! It reminds me very much of Cairo in that respect, and I find many similarities between the blends, particularly the tin note, which reeks almost of a McClelland Virginia, sour like vinegar--though Cumberland lacks the sweetness of Cairo, which does have a topping. My tin, dated February 2007, was packed tight, all the way to the brim, more so than any Pease blend I've tried, and not particularly damp, either. The ribbon, cut thin, the tobaccos deep red and populated sparsely by the Perique.

People have remarked of the dominant nature of the Burley in this blend. To me, the Virginia stands out more, and it is the Kentucky that almost mutes the sugar in Cumberland. Yet, I don't get that dominant nutty flavor from the Burley, and perhaps that is a consequence of the aging. I confess to have a difficult time with the leaf, though I can't find anything offensive here (I despise that Prince Albert, and I know he is a favorite of the Burley genre.) This one builds, right to end and will knock you on the floor if smoked first in the morning--though I imagine it would go very well with a bitter coffee. For me, Cumberland works best as an occasional smoke, for those times I want to get slapped in the face.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)

Not my number one, but it is in the rotation and in the cellar. I found it to be average in nicotine content. The 'Kentucky' provides a change of pace, and it is considerably milder than my usual VaPers. Those of us from Southern Appalachia will recognize the unique American character of this blend. It reminds me of home. I don't know if Pease chose the name and then concocted the blend, or vice versa, or maybe he was just looking for a name that meant "Kentucky" to him, but it is exactly what one would expect on the Cumberland plateau in north Alabama. Smells like what the little ol' ladies in the hollows smoke in their cobs.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

My tin was aged and pretty dry when I opened it. A nice Kentucky-based offering that is not too strong. Did tickle my throat a bit. This had a wonderful complex flavor to it, but completely natural. Might have been better if there had been a little moisture left in the tin when I opened it-this style of tin does tend to dry out with aging, so if I ever buy any of this in a younger vintage I will transfer it to a jar as soon as I open it. I also think I would prefer it as a flake or coarser cut since it seemed to burn fast, but this may just be because it was so dry.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

This tobacco reminded me of C&D's Easy Times, only with no latakia. I wonder if this is the same aged burley used in ET, as it has a similar effect -- the taste seems extraordinarily muted to me, to the extent that I can't detect much in the way of flavor. A lot of folks obviously enjoy this, but I was somewhat disappointed. The quality of the tobaccos is obviously high, but it wasn't for me.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)

Well, here we go with a Haddo's spinoff with a lot of Kentucky burley added. The can aroma is great. I am going to put the can away for a year and see if it gets better. I like Haddo's and I like burley blends, but there is something lost here in this new can.

There seems to be a recurring theme among the GL Pease family of VA/P blends including Stratford, Telegraph Hill and Lombard. I like all of these better than Cumberland, but time improves all of the others so we shall see. Won't buy another can for a year or so.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)

Not one of my favorite Pease blends, but still better than other brands of similar tobacco content. The burley stands out most for me. I smoke this in the evening after a meal, with a strong ale or bourbon. Not an everyday smoke for my palate, but I can see and appreciate how some folks can really like this. By the way, mine was in the tin 7 months before opened. It was a springy, multicolored ribbon tobacco, full smell with a background of sweetness, and perfect moisture content.

This is maybe the best tobacco I've tried as far as leaf quality, really exceptional, but I didn't like it a lot. It's that "toasted" flavour that blows off when you open the tin and you find when you smoke it too. It's full enough to be an evening smoke, with a kentucky punch that leads throughout the bowl, supported by the VA and the Perique in the first part, while in the second the Lousiana tobacco surrounds the VA-K interplay. Sure one to try out, but not my cup of tea.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After smoking GLP's Montgomery all summer, I returned to my tin of Cumberland for a second round. Both have Virginia and Kentucky (leaves that I love, and especially the Kentucky leaves used in each) but Cumberland has the inevitable perique. Damn. I gotta see if my genes can be altered so I can taste it like most other smokers apparently taste it.

I agree with previous reviewers: smoke this SLOW, like Greg instructs on the label. The intended character is brought out: a really nice VA/burley taste that isn't at all harsh or biting and is what I sought when I bought it. Cumberland, I think, is the primo mixture for training new pipers: puff it hard and you get punished, like a shocking anti-bark collar for dogs.

When smoked as instructed, the perique becomes tolerable to me like it does in Barbary Coast and Cairo. My only fault with this mix is that I don't want a didactic smoke. I want one that I can puff without special attention. True, most all my favorite smokes are at their best smoked slowly. I just tire of Cumberland's jolts when I forget.

Back to Montgomery for me. If you are the type to put additional perique in everything, you'd probably like this a lot.

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I find this tobacco to bear some resemblance to Cairo and Haddo's Delight, but with some distinctive differences. The golden hues of the leaves, with mahogany bits here and there, are very nice, and the tin aroma is gentle, sweet, nutty and earthy. The taste is a cross between the virginia nuances of Haddo's and the earthiness of Barbary Coast: at first I found it rather sweet, but after a few bowls the earthy tones and the citrus notes seem in good balance. The sweetness seems a bit less evident, too. It is definitely a blend which requires attention and a slow smoking pace: I think it gives its best in a huge-ish pipe, paying attention to all the subtle earthy notes given by the kentucky. Alas, I personally think it gives some tongue bite and that I can't always get all the taste I would like. But probably it is due to my inclination towards english mixtures rather than virginia blends. As I am not a great fan of Haddo's, I am not of this one either, but there's definitely something here that will appeal to a broad category of smokers. Give it a try!

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This seems to be a well aged tobacco with an herb-like spice. It burns cool with no sweetness at all. Maybe I am not one for Kentucky tobacco. I'm not sure. I do know that I will not be trying this again. There is just something about it that does not agree with me.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

As Rob-at-home noted, ?It doesn't contain cigar leaf, but its character is very close to that of a strong, spicy, Honduran handrolled.? I, too, find it to have a cigar-like quality, similar to C&D Gray Ghost that does contain cigar leaf, yet still stronger than Gray Ghost. You had better be sitting down when you light this up for the first time or it will knock you down. As other have stated, smoking it slowly may still may result in tongue bite. I found this to be true. I had to DGT bowls of this blend in all of the pipes it was smoked. Regardless, this is a delightful tobacco with complex flavors and cigar like undertones that weave in and out. Give this tobacco your full attention. It is too strong for me to be considered an all day or even an occasional smoke. I will not downrate this tobacco because of its strength. If you want a full strength, full-bodied smoke, try Cumberland. It is best after a full meal. I will age some of this to see if it mellows. Be patient with Cumberland and go easy.

I rate this tobacco 9.0 out of 10

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I generally like full flavored blends but this one is a paradox to me. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by delicious smelling brown leaf in the typical short, broad ribbon-cut that most of the Pease blends come in. The quality of this blend is definitely apparent. Packing is easy, lighting is easy. I tried this in both small and large pipes but it just did not work for me.The room aroma is delicious, but I just could not get that flavor in my mouth. Instead, it was a little harsh and irritated my throat. I tried slow-puffing like I do with flakes, but still could not get the flavor. At the bottom of the bowl it got a little too ashy for my taste. I also experienced a lot of moisture, regardless of the pipe (three pipe cleaners worth!).I am almost tempted to roast it on my stove as a type of potpourri because of the delicious room-note, but alas, I will save this as a premium blender that I will mix with some syrian latakia and experiment. Rating 2.5 out of 5 points and yes, body chemistry is the probable culprit..Sorry... P.S. I did not experience tongue-bite with this blend even when I turned up the puffing to see if I could get that wonderful room-note in my mouth. Update:9-17-03. Well I still can not enjoy this blend as it is but let me tell you, this is a premium blender. I have mixed this with both cyprian and syrian latakia and a little turkish and wow! Excellent! At least I was able to save this from my potpourri roaster.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found Cumberland very easy to get along with-nice & easy to pack & light.The taste doesn't jump up & bite you hard at all(But it's all there)Kentucky,Virginia & Perique.It's not weak but at the same time it has a pleasant suttleness to it,that give's you a nice smoke full of flavour without being boring at all.And you can taste all three tobacco's easily.It smoked clean & dry leaving a nice clean white ash.Definitely no tongue bite to me.I tried it in five different pipe's with positive result's. I'll give this one 3.5 Star's out of 5.