Chew tobacco.

1.6
LaneCenturion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaneCenturion (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I took a suggestion above on this and used the sock drying method, which yields a delicious result. A strong smoke with hints of raisins and molasses, as it is a chew. Doesn't burn for very long, but if you can get it going, you will be rewarded. My recommendation is only so low because it does take a little bit of extra work to make this smokable, which some may not be up for.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

It is my duty to inform you that this is not for smoking but chewing as far as I know.I bought this twenty yrs. ago as just that,and thats what I did with it I would not even think of putting it in a pipe.I don't know how it got on the reviews but its not pipe tobbaco.

JohnnyO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyO (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Strong

I am almost embarrassed to review this. It was only a couple bucks so I threw it onto an order of other tobaccos. It's a compact, sweet smelling plug, like molasses and maple syrup. It isn't a whole leaf plug but seems to be shredded tobacco tightly compressed into a plug. I'm not a chewer, and yes I did chew a bit which was immediately followed by spitting, rinsing, gargling, and brushing my teeth. The tobacco is very wet...not moist pipe tobacco wet, but covered in a sticky syrup, almost like hookah tobacco wet. It was gummy and sticky on my fingers and almost impossible to fully rub out. After airing out for 4 or 5 hours it was still sticky. I stuffed it into a meer and tried it out. Like others have said it just won't light, and I roasted my tongue trying to get it to light up. Once it did get going it tasted sweet and I could taste the burley but by the time I could taste anything it went out again and again and again and then I got this syrupy steam into my mouth that tasted foul. After that...I dumped it out and shook my head wondering why on earth I even wasted the couple bucks on this. Maybe 50 years ago it was smokable but not today... chew it...don't smoke it...or use it for potpourri for its sweet smell for all I care... this is not like the SG or G&H plugs...

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Rub it out real good and let it dry for about a week. Then smoke it. It is a vintage, strong, cowboy smoke! Back in the Civil War days and old west days, this is how guys smoked pipes. It does have a taste like Half&Half. I chewed both, thats how I know. This has more sweetness due to the molasses. To dry it out, put it in an old sock and wrap a rubber band on the end to close it. The sock breathes allowing the Baccy to dry out and at the same time keeps it fresh. Once dry put it in your pouch or a Ziplock.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Very Strong Strong Full Strong

It's chewing tobacco. Why anyone would try to smoke it in a pipe is mind boggling.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The package says "Days o Work." It comes in a 2x3x1/2" brick, wrapped in dark tan paper, all sealed in a plastic wrapper; fairly readily available.

I chewed this for about 2 1/2 years and it was my favorite. It is the strongest tasting of any chewing tobacco I know, and gives the strongest tobacco experience. This is brown tobacco held together by road tar. It's so gooey that it's impossible to get it lit. It would take a blowtorch. It is very goopy, tarry, and sticky. It was a mess trying to get it into the pipe and light it. I wasn't about to try this in anything but a corncob. It's ridiculous to try to smoke this. It was too messy, so I gave up after one effort trying it. It makes an excellent chewing tobacco, what it's labelled for use as.

Samuel Gawith specializes in plug tobaccos recently spotlighted in Pipes and Tobacco magazine. These tobaccos are actually meant to be smoked in a pipe.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This plug cut "chewing tobacco" is best left for exactly that.

Any serious plug smoker would find this a waste of time no matter how you would slice and rub it out. Very "sugary" and sticky to begin with and even with letting it dry out it still was difficult to deal with. I can appreciate the other reviews however, if you've decided to try plug tobaccos go ahead and spend what you need, to buy a regular plug...

Simply a waste of time...

As a regular plug tobacco smoker for over 40 years I would recommed either Golden Bar or perhaps Yachtsman plug tobaccos for beginners.

I tried this several times over the last two weeks and smoked about half the plug... packing it in various ways and experimenting with several type cuts. For the most part it was smoked in a Castello Sea Rock straight billiard.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is indeed a very economical way to experiment with plug tobacco. Up until the Civil War, tobacco was predominantly chewed. Both North and South issued plug tobacco to the troops at no cost, and indeed it was smoked in pipes as well. This is a very simple Burley plug, mildly sweetened with molasses. There are probably some other flavorings, but the amounts are so small as to make them impossible for me to discern them. This may taste like the old version of Half and Half, but certainly does not remind me of its current incarnation. This is very straight forward, and too plain for me to smoke with any regularity. However, if you are a history buff, or simply adventurous, it is worth a try. This is very easy to slice and rub out. Let it dry for a good while, and it will light a bit easier. Best in a clay or a cob.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This plug was probably meant to be chewed, but in the 19th Century no distinction was made between a chewing and a smoking plug. Vintage containers from before 1930 often indicate "for smoking OR chewing", and I am not aware that there is any processing distinction between chewing plugs and smoking plugs, just as there isn't any between "dipping" snuff and snuffing snuff. I regularly inhale Garrett's Scotch Rappé, presumably meant largely to be "dipped", and I can assure you that it is a very fine, unscented composition that wouldn't be out of place up the nostrils of a French marquis.

DAY's WORK, for which I paid all of $3.50 at PATHMARK, is mostly, if not wholly, dark air-cured ["Kentucky"] burley, bronze-coloured, neatly and tightly pressed into a plug. As with twists, its shiny, oily surface smelled of nothing in particular beyond a certain leathery redolence when held near the nose. I had some difficulty lighting it, but after it caught on it smoked cooly and steadily without gunk.

The taste was not all that different from HALF 'N HALF?or Orlik's Dark Strong Kentuky. The dull, earthy flavour of dark burley, not unlike a smoked sausage, free of bite or fireworks, wafted through my shank, sort of like black coffee, not too strong but unsugared. I rather liked its plain-spoken one-dimensionality. A bit of a strong, silent type: utterly reliable, will not keep you awake nights.

A very inexpensive way to learn about plugs; if you like burley, I think you might like this.