A mild satisfying blend of qualiy tobaccos

BrandSmoker's Pride
Blended ByLane Limited
ContentsCavendish
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste

2.3
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

It really doesn't deserve two stars, but I have to rate it as such because there are worse tobaccos on the market. I'm not a Captain Black White fan, but that's better than this. The cheap price is the only reason I see for purchasing this blend. Dull, harsh at times, and can bite when dried out - and it does need to be dried first. This is for smoking on the run while outdoors and you want a light vanilla taste. If you're on a budget, at least get SP's Black Cavendish. It's better than this and is the same price, too.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Um, YUCK! Sticky-Gooey, Stickey-Gooey - Where was I again - Oh yeah, Sticky-Gooey YUCK! Better were gloves and smoke a disposable pipe. It smells alright, let the neighbor smoke it!

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Low grade Garbage! They take no "Pride" in making this blend! They could keep it!

bostonsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bostonsmoker (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I understand opinions are opinions but I dont understand some of these negative reviews. Its not that bad of a drugstore blend, in fact its way better than Captain Black white. It has less of a chemical taste as in CB blends. The mix of the black cavendish create a nice and pleasant vanilla aroma. Smokers Pride vanilla is a lot better than a lot of "vanilla" drugstore blends. I have smoked a lot of high end tobaccos in my days of pipe smoking and this rates up there with some high end aromatics. The flavors I pick up are sugar cookies with buttercream tints. It smells like a chocolate/vanilla cookie. There really is no bite unless you puff like a chimney. Its not heavily cased like most drugstore aromatics. Moist to the touch but not too moist. I recommend this blend to anyone with a sweet tooth and likes aromatics. It might not appeal to the english smokers. I honestly think people are just ashamed to admit they "like" a drugstore blend but I'm not afraid to admit it one bit.. this is pretty good stuff for a drugstore blend. I was actually very shocked.

Agentorange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Agentorange (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My experiences with this brand has differed from time to time but locally speaking it's still my favorite brand of pipe tobacco.

The vanilla can be a bit difficult to enjoy for me. I have trouble dealing with the sweetness of it fresh. I recommend drying it or even airing it out to some extent.

You can smell it through 2 bags if your nose is tuned so the smell can become an issue. The taste is better dried than fresh. I've had my most recent 12 ounce bag aging for a few months and it seems to help. To be honest I bought almost every smoker's pride blend to try it for myself and this has got to be the most troubled blend I have dealt with.

I recommend it for the very patient smoker in a brand new pipe. You may want to designate this blend to a certain pipe as the smell alone can sort of invade any other tobacco you smoke out of the same pipe as you smoked "Smoker's Pride Vanilla Cavendish" out of. The smell from the smoke actually tends to be similar to an incense so you don't want too much but a little is fine and can actually be quite pleasant. It's the taste from the smell that I don't much care for.

T. Ferguson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Ferguson (9)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Here's something to try...chop up a big ol granny Smith and let it set in the jar for a while. BLAMMO! Something really special, and ya did it yourself!! Good on its own, fun to play with!

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I'm not going to compare this to other aromatic blends costing several times more. Taken for what it is, a super bargain, it deserves 4 stars. Paid 17 bucks for a 12 ounce bag, more than a bargain it's a great value since it tastes and smells quite good. Burns cool, no goopy junk at the bottom, and I just love the aroma.

The flavor is mild, you can still taste tobacco, the vanilla casing is strong but it comes out more as aroma and room note. While there is a faint chemical undertone (to be expected from a blend like this one) it is not as PG laden as Captain Black or any of the other Lane blends. In fact, this stuff is less than half the price of Captain Black and more than twice as good.

The only slight issue is the cut; very rough cut that makes it sometimes hard to evenly pack a bowl. At this price though I can't complain.

I will highly recommend this if you like aromatics

IMA_Redneck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IMA_Redneck (7)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I find this blend quite pleasant. Flavor and strength are mild but refreshing. The room note is wonderful. Burns well for nice relaxing smoke. Only think i dont like much is the rough cut. This is a very course cut blend with huge pieces of tobacco throughout. Still I give this a solid 3 stars.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I enjoyed the Smokers Pride black cavendish so purchased some of the vanilla. Lemme tell you, this is terrible stuff. Not QUITE as bad as the cherry but almost. On the upside, it is pretty dry and lights/stays lit quite well. That and the price are this tobaccos only redeeming qualities. Harsh tasting, tongue biting, and stinky. In the bag it smells "ok" but while burning I can only compare it to the smell of burning grass (lawn not pot). I tried blending this with some other tobaccos and still not worth smoking. The rest of this went on the plants outside to kill bugs, hopefully it does this well. Not recommended at all.

Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

With all due respect to another reviewer, I found two other things that made this stuff taste like crap... lighting it and puffing it.

This was an early Christmas gift from a well-meaning but utterly clueless non-smoking friend. Much to my chagrin, it's the 12 oz bag. In actual fact, this tasted mostly like a sour batch of warm air with a mild trace of vanilla in the air and a fair amount of juiciness in the pipe. I haven't smoked Captain Black in many years but I don't recall that being this much of a waste of time. Yet both are blended by Lane's and I suspect this is CBW using a much lower quality leaf and a much higher percentage of propylene glycol for shelf-life. Not recommended at any price, including free.

As per my custom, I did blend this with some C&D Kelly's Coin and got something smokable. However, in order to make it so, I had to use a very high ratio of KC to this - so much that it makes much more sense to chuck this mess and smoke KC straight. On the other hand, smokers of CBW should give this a shot. They may like it as much and save money to boot.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

There are two things that can make this tobacco taste like crap: smoking too fast and a dirty pipe.

Smoked slowly and carefully in a good, clean pipe, you are guaranteed to have a tasty cavendish treat with a sweet room note that will attract the ladies.

This tobacco is very much like Captain Black (white label) only about 3x less expensive. Great buy!

smokeybandit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeybandit (12)

I had high hopes that this tobacco would be descent because the smell from the bag is amazing! That's where the goodness ends though. This one tasted like low quality tobacco and chemicals that somewhat resembled vanilla. It does leave a good room note though. If you buy this tobacco, I would recommend not smoking it, instead, set it out for an air freshener.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

First off, I've been sitting on this for about a year. I bought it in the pouch version, then forgot I'd bought it. After sifting the twigs out of this stuff, I loaded it up in a cob, The General Model. The vanilla scent is very subtle after sitting for a year. It lit well, only needed to be lit once. Made copious amounts of smoke. The scent and flavor, were not unlike a milder version of Capt. Black White. No icky dottle remained, just a fine grey ash. I'll finish this pouch, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

YoungSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungSmoke (24)

I won't rave of this blend, but I can't really knock it either...For a drugstore blend, I've defenately smoked worse and while it's cheap and a bit moist it packs well and takes a light with no fuss compared to the stuff that has no flavor and bites like a crazy black cat. Best of all it It burns cool, and no bite! It seems to be made up of mostly black cavendish and a lighter tobacco. I go back and forth between this and the Smoker's Pride straight Black Cavendish which I picked up at the same time. Now after both of those, I would even try the Cherry blend they have. The Black Cavendish has a bit stronger flavor, but this vanilla is a dryer, softer smoke. The vanilla comes through and it ends up tasting like is smells (kind of a rasin like/vanilla) with the usual sweet room note. Again, might not be the best out there but it's not too bad either...you'll be impressed if you take it for what it is. I think it's better than the usual cheap stuff, or even Captain Black. The only thing I've noticed is it leaves a bit of an aftertaste. I guess it's ok, but I wouldn't get it again.

robvolume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robvolume (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

For a "drugstore tobacco" this one is great. Love the sweet room note. Perfect for when you want something very mild and aromatic. And you can't beat the price.

YoungPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungPuffer (5)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Okay, the topping is great, right out of the bag u just want to eat it. If u leave it in ur car, it will smell up the whole thing with a wonderful vanilla aroma. The downside, however is the tobacco used is not ur highest grade stuff which makes it hard to enjoy esp. if u have already been spoiled with some high grade tobacco. I dont know what it is, but it is hard to get througha bowl of this stuff without a thousand relights, maybe its just me, but i guess for what it is and the price is very cheap, it is an alright tobacco for the person on a seriously tight budget, but if u can, get some dunhill A21000 or MB Vanilla Cream, u will be amazed at the difference.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)

I like this blend. It makes a great cheap filler to add a little vanilla to the mix.It stands alone as a passable smoke which will never offend those around you. A great smoke it is not, but for $1.99 a pouch I am not real demanding.

Smokin' Guitarist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokin' Guitarist (1)

What can I say.....WOW!!!! Im very impressed with Lanes "drugstore" blends. So far, this is my favorite blend from Smoker's Pride. Wonderful taste, Excellent aroma, and it packs and smokes quite well. If your in a bind and can't get ahold of your perfered Import, give this a try, and by all means.....share!! Your friends will thank you for this diamond in the rough.

cavendish guru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cavendish guru (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Very Pleasant

I found this brand to be rather potent for an aromatic. I took a full puff on my pipe like always, and it felt like I just snorted fine columbian blend cocaine through my nose it burnt so bad. One of the first aromatics (unless you consider captain black white an aromatic) I tried. $1.59 at my local smoke shop, I always stock up on it when I make it to the area. Smoker's Pride cherry and vanilla cavendish is an excellent 2 blend mixture.I will def. try the regular black cavendish and the rum cured tobacco by this fine company.......Lane Limited should show more pride in their make and actually include this in their brands.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I bought this blend at walgreens and was not impressed. To begin with it smelled good and it even packs good ,but it burns bad it all wet and the leaf in this blend tastes like dirt. This is not recommended if you smoke just this. On the other hand I put some Peter Stokkebye 1882 mixture to spike it and it takes the bite off of it. Hey I cant throw away 9ounce bag away so I improvise.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Cheap, sweet, pleasant aroma, finishes wet. Just what you thought it would be like. It isn't bad, it just isn't very good either. For those who need a cheap fishing, working smoke, for their cobs. Burns too wet for a briar.

squonk12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
squonk12 (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

In terms of a vanilla, I find this have an authentic flavor, probably due to the black cavendish used in this blend. Has a nice flavor, with some notes that I can only describe as "rough". In terms of aroma, I have had varied reactions, I smoked this in a coffeehouse and one of the owners thought it smelled like a cigar, my brother thought it smelled like cotton candy. I think it just has a strong vanilla smell, kind of like extract of vanilla. Very little to no bite. Would not recommend this to someone who lives with non-smokers, as they might think this to have a strong odor. Would recommend this to someone who enjoys a medium to strong aromatic tobacco.

Very Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I stopped in at a local "Tobacco Shop" today to get some pipe cleaners. Saw this sitting in a display bin right above the cleaners. That's where this goo should have remained. Vanilla Extract in a pouch. It was an impulse buy and I was an idiot.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

I purchased this for someone else and didnt know what they smoked. I never had a chance to give it to them and decided to try it out myself. It comes in a nice sized bag and the price was perfect. The aroma was very pleasant and like the previous reviewer think it makes my office smell great. I leave it in my top right desk drawer. It is a black and tan mix of cavandish and like its name has a vanilla topping. This is just the right amount of topping. You can pick up on the taste, but that is about all there is to it. There is nothing at all complex about this tobacco. It has no tongue bite at all and burned fairly nice down to the last bit of dottle. This would be the perfect working tobacco knowing that it is a simple tobacco with no bite, you would have to pay little attention to it at all. It is a great all day tobacco simply due to the cost. It is a great social smoke seeing as it probably would not offend hardly anyone. All in all, I would have to say that this would probably be one of the best beginner tobaccos available. I may just keep some of this around to smoke when I am busy outdoors and dont want to use some of my more expensive tobaccos.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought this from a grocery store with some trepidation. I was completely out of tobacco and needed a fix and this was available and the price was right (cheap). This surprised me, however, because it is actually really good. The bag imparts a very pleasant vanilla and tobacco smell. I like to leave the bag lying out in my office because the room then smells fantastic. Who needs air fresheners when you can leave this out? As for the smoking, this blend is very mild. It took me a few pipe fulls to really taste the vanilla and the smoke aroma is nice and mellow. If you are looking for a good, mellow aromatic smoke and are on a budget, then check this out.

Update: I've downgraded my review because I doubt that I will buy this again unless desperate. There is just too much good tobacco out there to waste money on this unless you can't get to your tobacconist.