Savinelli Armonia is a totally natural pipe tobacco with a soft, delicate taste that will immediately win you over. Its perfectly balanced composition is obtained thanks to prized Virginia tobacco, enriched by golden Oriental leaves and a hint of select Burley and Kentucky tobaccos. The rounded soft taste is also the result of natural fruit flavorings that impart a wonderful aroma during the select aging process.

BrandSavinelli
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp & Co.
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
1.6
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Extra Strong

Seeing RebelPipesters review of this blend reminded me that I had planned on warning the group about this nasty stuff. I had, unfortunately, sampled a bowl a few months ago and guess I wanted to forget the experience so badly that I forgot to post my review.

I shall keep it short. Upon opening the tin I was repulsed. Why I went ahead and subjected one of my fine briars to this foul weed remains a mystery to me. Well, the fact is I did and it was a huge mistake. Almost every thought expressed by the above reviewers ran through my mind as I puffed on Armonia. Remove the "r" from the name and you've got my impressions of smell and taste of this miserably failed effort at creating a smokable pipe tobacco. (IMHO)

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think the tin description is pretty accurate on this one. It's not great, but it could be a mild, unobtrusive all day smoke for many. Not exiting, but I can't say anything bad about it.

langston302 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
langston302 (14)
Medium to Strong Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

This was above and beyond the absolute worst stuff I have ever had. The pouch smelled of sicky sweet apricot vinegar. The tobacco was extremely wet and clumpy. The smoke was extremely bitey and left a burnt rubber flavor in my mouth. The smoke was rancid in the air and i had to stop smoking it as it was just horrible to smell. I will NEVER try this blend again. do not try unless you are really really gutsy.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)

This is a blend whose primary characteristic is the tongue-bite. Comes with a pleasant pouch aroma and smokes rather indifferently in terms of complication in taste. One of the few cases where I had to actually throw the tobacco away in the bin after a few attempts.

Valerio320 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Valerio320 (12)

Natural aromatic with full and woody taste, fails to give all the dark chocolate bouquet that is present in its scent, opening the pouch. Honest and well done tobacco, gives pleasant, but average smokes without emotions for complexity or quality.

CypressDog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CypressDog (2)
Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

In my 30 years of pipe smoking this is one of the most ghastly blends I have ever attempted to smoke.

As others here have commented, Armonia is an extremely heavily cased fruity aromatic; just one whiff and my thoughts turned to the tongue bite that was sure to follow if I were to smoke this stuff. Not one to resist a challenge, I lit up anyway. It had the taste and aroma of hazardous waste combined with rotten fruit. After a few puffs I was done. I could not stand it anymore and wanted to quit before I ruined the pipe. The only thing in Armonia?s favor is that tongue bite was not an issue since I wasn?t able to smoke it long enough for that to happen.

I received the tobacco as a free sample pack with the purchase of a Savinelli pipe. It is unfortunate that there are probably some people who have purchased a Savinelli as their first pipe because of the free tobacco. If this were the first blend I had smoked, I would have immediately quit pipe smoking.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (62)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

A sample of this "tobacco blend" was included with a recent pipe purchase, and a day or two after reading the scathing reviews of this product. Coincidence? No, it was fate. Forwarned by said reviews, I divvied up the sample between my son and me. I don't think that we smoked this substance for more than a minute or two before we came to an unspoken agreement to give it the deep six and clean out our pipes lest any remnants spoil future smokes. Savinelli has put their moniker on a loser, IMHO. Update (Sept. 2014): Still abominable after all these years.

FatMax Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FatMax (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Beat me with a stick, but I have to say I like Armonia.

It does have issues, it is a bit too moist, and it will burn a bit hot if you let it, but in a large bowled pipe, it can be an extremely satisfying smoke.

The fruitiness gives way to a carmelized glazed pear taste through the bowl.

It isn't for the weak of heart, it isn't very forgiving!

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Strong

I too received the free sample from Savinelli and I too think this is terrible. The tobacco had an overwhelming, fruit-like smell when the packet was opened. This tobacco is indeed heavily cased. The first half of the bowl burned with a very strong room aroma and taste that matched the packet's smell. By the last half of the bowl it mellowed out some and had a mild, sweet taste. By that time however, I didn't want to smoke any more of this. I wouldn't waste my money on a pouch of this.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

I received a free sample of this blend from Savinelli and was, to say the least, disappointed. I am sure that there are those pipe smokers out there who really enjoy this blend; I personally would rather be condemned to smoking nothing other than Erinmore Flake for the rest of my life than to ever have to even look at this tobacco. The corncob in which I tried Armonia was apparently ruined. Numerous bowls of one of my regular blends has done nothing to attenuate the residual effect of the Armonia.

RebelPipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RebelPipester (12)
Mild Very Strong Very Mild Tolerable

This blend will fool you from the sample pack. It actually was a citric taste ala Blue Note in the sample, but burnt hot. It actually smoked half decent in a Dr. Grabow filter pipe mellowing out the flavoring. I bought a pouch of this stuff...

First, this stuff is very inconsistent pouch for pouch from the discussions I have had with other pipe smokers. My pouch was dry as a bone and smelled nothing like the sample.

It took over 6 months for the flavoring to mellow out enough to allow this to be smoked, even then the aid of a filter pipe or P-lip would only make this palatable in the least.

As far as aroma take the worst traits from Blue Note and Erinmore Mixture and mix them together, you have Armonia.

Save your money and buy a pouch of Captain Black, which by comparison is a quantum leap in quality...read between the lines. :)

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Strong

It has been said that pipe makers don't always make the best tobacco blenders. This blend gives ample support to that argument. Gretchen ran and hid giving it one bark out of five possible.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

Maybe this is an unfair review due to only trying the sample pack that Savinelli is mailing out to promote their tobacco, "Armonia".

Then again, if the sample pack doesn't grab you; why go out and buy a tin or a pouch of it?

Upon opening the sample pack, I sensed chocolate covered raisons. ....The next day, I still sensed the same plus a whiskey? ala "Borkum Riff smell".

Upon lighting and thru the top 3rd, I still was reminded of chocolate covered raisons. By half way, I started tasting a burnt chocolate. Near bottom, a charred chocolate/fudge taste. ...None of which, grabbed me.

No innocent bystanders were present to comment on the room note.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Tin Aroma: My first impression upon smelling this was; 'man! is this ever cased!' Very pungent, very fruity, with perhaps some hints of coconut as well. According to the marketing blurb about this blend, the casing is supposed to be 'all-natural fruit flavors', but I can ascertain nothing in the aroma that smells even remotely natural. Even the coconut scent has a chemical edge to it.

Physical Characteristics: A long thin ribbon cut, moist enough to stick together in great clumps. If seperated strand by strand, it packs moderately well, though it retains it's penchant for clumping, even after leaving it sitting out on my desk for a few days, a sure sign of a heavily PG laden blend.

Notes: This is crap, pure and simple. While I am no great lover of aromatic blends, I have smoked a good number of them, and have enjoyed quite a few of those. This, however, fails in almost every category. The room aroma is pungent and unpleasant, driving away friends, relatives, badgers and skunks. The astronomical moisture content guarantees the impoosibility of taking more than two or three puffs before relighting. The burn is uneven and haphazard, even with the most careful packing and tamping technique. The flavor, such as it is, wavers between burnt sugar, which of course, burns the tongue, and a gin distillery, both unpleasant in their own right, but geometrically more so when so inelagantly juxtaposed. Laid over top of this foul conglomeration of tastes is a healthy layer of hot steam, as this burns perhaps the hottest of any tobacco I have ever smoked. It is one thing to be careless when smoking a bowl of high sugar Virginia and find that afterward ones tongue is a bit sensitive, but it is quite another to have the entire inside of ones mouth screaming in agony before one even finishes the first third of a bowl. The only vaguely redeaming quality that this tobacco has is that due to the insanely high temperature it achieves, it does manage to burn quickly enough to spare one the unremitting torture that would be an average length smoke.

Verdict: Given the repellant aroma of this blend, the outrageous moisture content, the penchant for clumping into a sodden mass, and the extreme difficulty in keeping it lit, not to mention the scorching, asbestos like flavor and the room aroma that would be better used to test gas masks in the military, I would have to say that the person or persons responsible for this tobacco abomination need to be unceremoniously taken out back and beaten.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (51)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The quality of this tobacco is well below par, not to mention as regards the sugary, fruity taste. It is not foul or disgusting but this tobacco is dull, lackluster. In my humble opinion it could be a good choice for beginners and for cigarettes smokers who desire to change; but it would be a very bad pick for experienced pipe smokers. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 4 and only a star.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

The sweet citrus flavor is vinegary, and not very pleasant with an apricot tang. Raisin and chocolate notes here and there with a mild spice note from the Oriental/Turkish. The woodsy taste doesn't help much. This should be better than it is, but I can't handle the flavor. The room note is unpleasant, too.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

This is a blunt blend with nothing attractive or at least interesting for me... IMHO. The potential is enormous but somehow they fail to achieve that potential. Very sorry for that waste of time.

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Purchased From: corner street tobaconist

Similar Blends: nothing, or whatever nothing blend..

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the pouch, I was greeted with a strong aromatic combination of sweet and pungent fruit. If this was in fact made from all “natural” flavors, then something “natural” was rotting. It truly smells of overripe fruit. I was not going to give into the strong desire to quit right there. The appearance of the tobacco is inviting with light and dark ribbons and a little bit of broken flake. Upon lighting, this tobacco smokes very hot, very quickly and the taste is anything but natural. I like the occasional aromatic, but this may be the worst of the many I have tried. I always avoid reviewing a tobacco after just one bowl, but in the interest of saving my mouth and taste buds, one bowl is all I am willing to endure. I am surprised a quality name like Savinelli would allow its name on something this poorly made.

Pfeifengespenst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pfeifengespenst (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I smoked this tobacco in the last Italian holiday.

Smell after opening the pouch 50g: After opening the pouch, one rises to meet a pretty intense aroma of sweet spices, which are intrusive but not unpleasant. In the background, something smells of tobacco for chocolate and orange.

Consistency of tobacco: The tobacco picture is quite dark and therefore presents itself in the ribbon cut (shredded fine cut). The mix itself is butter soft and fluffy. The filling of the pipe preparing, no problems, but it should not prefer to stuff firmly.

Smoke properties: When the gang Glutkissen is once set in, the smoldering tobacco down calmly and evenly. The quality of the tobacco is classified at the top. There remain no residue. But beginners and hastily smokers, I would not recommend this tobacco because it attract most attention and quiet, sipping needed almost. Caution that smokes Savinelli Armonia is very hot quickly. When I recommend a pipe with an average fill volume.

Taste: After the smell test, I would have expected a decent highly aromatic, but is definitely not the Sun The Savinelli Armonia tastes very mild and without question belongs in the category of light tobaccos. It tastes somewhat like chocolate, butter and a hint of orange and amarettini (amaretto cookies). The note comes naturally Virginia, very weak in the form of sweet hay or straw to light. The tobacco keeps its flavor to about half of the filling. What can you say that tobacco is very velvety, what you feel in the mouth and clear on the tongue. Kentucky and the Oriental one does not notice at all. This tobacco will be smoked with a filter. Without this filter is tobacco a disaster, because the condensate residue is real bad.

Conclusion: An interesting tobacco, which is definitely more like it for the morning hours and by the aroma of the Christmas season especially good job. Personally, he's too mild and therefore will not get into my bar tobacco feeder. If you have tried once but because he is not really bad.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I've only tried this tobacco in the sample packs provided by Savinelli, and have smoked several bowls of it. Both in pipes by Savinelli. Armonia is a blend of Virginia, Oriental, burley, and Kentucky tobaccos, topped with what Savinelli calls "natural" fruit flavors. I'll take their word on "natural," but only because I have to.

Both of my samples of this tobacco were dry. The pouches gave off a nice, sweet aroma, which was quite attractive. As a dry tobacco, Armonia loaded easily into my pipes. Lighting was pretty easy, as well. But as dry as it was, I was amazed by the amount of moisture that condensed in the pipes as I smoked.

The taste of Armonia is, unfortunately, not there. The pouch aroma gave me thoughts of a nice, easy aromatic. However, the flavor all goes up in smoke, leaving nothing but warm, thick air to come through the pipe. My tongue longed for flavor, but got none.

I think Savinelli should keep their focus on pipes. Then they should let someone else sell tobacco.

Aristotelis Onasis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aristotelis Onasis (1)

A very good every day tobacco. Natural aromatic taste, a lot oriental tobaccos. Very good for the low cost

g_andrini Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
g_andrini (6)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Perfect! It's a nice tobacco,with beautiful aroma. This italian mixture represents properly my country!

PT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PT (4)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Several years ago, I have smoked this mixture, and I was not impressed at all. It was heavily flavored(tutti-frutti), sickly sweet, tongue biting, and very mild. This newer(?) incarnation is mildly scented (chocolate + orange), not sweet but nutty, not biting and medium in nicotine strength. Tobacco quality seems OK but moisture level is high. I don't know if there is a difference between European version (which i smoked) and American version. PS. It does not DGT well.

dimitrios Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dimitrios (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Don't know whether it's me or you,but i find many previous reviews unfair.IMHO this is one of the best tobaccos around. Exceptional flavoring, easy and pleasing to smoke,very little bite, unless you're very quick with it. Truly exceptional !

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)

The truth is that I expected more from savinelli....Not a bad all-day smoke though; packs well and burns well with a mild woody taste. However, not the greatest of tobaccos here; you get what you pay for..

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I do not know if everybody refers to the same blend. For starters, my pouch has somewhat different description from the one here (the last sentence differs).

The pouch has somewhat peculiar aroma - in between citrus flowers and choclate dipped slices of orange. I do not detect this during the smoke though. To this extent I agree with the observations of one more reviewer (only!!!). Even so, I did not detect any wood-burning flavor/taste or such, as he did.

More important, where I bought it from, the salesman characterized it as "base" - i.e. essentially non-aromatic. And I wholly agree. The blend (virginia and oriental) is similar to cigarette blends.

I did not get any tongue bite, and the resulting room note did note differ much from your average cigarette room note. Also, it did not burn hot.

The next few bowlfuls was more acceptable than the first one. Overall, I do not find anything fundamnetally wrong with it. I just do not like it much.

I mixed it up (about 50-50) with Brebia #4. The results is OK - but the room note may be somewhat too heavy (heavier that the note of each blend separately).

Skandinavik Regular is similar and more affordable than this - so I do not see myself ever buying a second pouch.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

It had been four or five years since I smoked any of this, and I recently came across a sampler I was given shortly after this blend was introduced (it was in the bottom of a small box loaded with pipe cleaners and balsa filters). I loaded it into a Grabow, curious to see if it was actually as bad as I remembered. It was. This is pretty close to being the worst tobacco I've ever put into a pipe. It's cloying, harsh, goopy, and has a bite that would make a great white shark flee in terror. The one "positive" note is that it has good burning qualities (in this case, though, that's a drawback since I can think of few pipe experiences more painful than actually completing a bowl of this). Hyperbole aside, guys: stay away from this stuff. It really is as foul as other reviewers have pointed out.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Our pipe smoking pastime is composed of an incredible array of personal tastes and opinions, and, for that, I am grateful. If you enjoy this shredded material in your pipe when lit, then enjoy it to its fullest, by all means. However, If I am faced with a choice between smoking Armonia and freshly squeezed canine feces, I am hard pressed and an immediate decision is unlikely to be forthcoming.

aj

South Mantis06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
South Mantis06 (12)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Strong

"Ammonia" might have been more appropriate the name. Vile. What did Mr. T. say in Rocky III? "Prediction? ..PAIN."

hazmat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hazmat (6)
Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Blatantly evil. If Hell came in a tobacco pouch, this would be the stuff. Avoid this at all costs.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Simply said: This is just another boring cased aromatic blend.It's billed as "natural".If you consider natural being 1/2 fruit casing 1/2 virginia and burley than I guess it's natural.I call it "Awful" and strongly suggest you look elsewhere...(I only wish there were a category WORSE than "not my cup of tea") Prep

Bear0422 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bear0422 (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received my first puch of Armonia and have to say, I enjoy it. It has a nice flavor and aroma. As for the casing, it is hard to tell, but to my snses, I couldn't find any.