Odyssey is huge - the biggest of the Pease blends. It's loaded with latakia and harmonized by exotic Orientals. Wonderful red and jet-black stoved Virginias provide a perfect counterpoint.

Notes: From GL Pease: Ever since I started smoking a pipe, I've been in love with the rich fragrance of fine Cyprian latakia. There's something warm and comforting about it; the deep blackish brown colour, the fascinating texture of the leaf, the wonderful smells of campfires and leather. It's an assertive leaf that can be, and often is, easily overdone. If the supporting tobaccos are bold enough, though, and have enough character, something BIG can be produced that still has refinement, elegance, and balance.

Odyssey is big. There's no doubt it's loaded with latakia, but that's much more to it. Exotic oriental tobaccos abound, and wonderful matured red and jet-black stoved Virginias provide a perfect balance, both in the tin aroma and in the flavour of the dense smoke. I worked on this for months, tuning the proportions carefully until it was exactly the blend I was after

The first match yields big puffy clouds of beautiful smoke. The flavour is bold and assertive, but still refined. The latakia's spice is balanced by the sweetness of the Virginias, and they have a marvelous conversation, while the Oriental tobaccos play Baroque quartets in the background. Or, is it belly dancing music? If you're a latakia lover, Odyssey will surely enthrall you.

The high percentage of dark tobaccos dictate a delicate hand when packing for best smoking.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
Blend TypeBalkan
Packaging2 ounce tin, 8 ounce tin
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste
Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.4
oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

By his own admission, Greg Pease said, "Odyssey is HUGE." Truth in advertising if I have ever seen it! It reminds me of an old "Saturday Night Live" skit after President Jimmy Carter went into the reactor at Three Mile Island.

The "Guest Host" (an oxymoron) was Dick Benjamin...and he called on the late, inimitable Rodney Dangerfield to describe how "HUGE" President Carter had become after going into the contaminated area.

Rodney said, "He's so big, he could have a sleazy affair with the Holland Tunnel...I mean....HE'S BIG!!!" Sweating, as usual, Rodney loosened his tie..."I mean...he's BIG! He's so big...."

Comedy aside...Odyssey is a Balkan, albeit with Scottish touches. It is NOT an English; the effect is too powerful for such a classification. There is little subtlty or nuance here. Those looking for such are advised to pick another of Greg's many delicious blends. Currently, Westminster would be my counsel.

I purchased a can of Odyssey concurrent with Westminster. It was just as fresh...all of 3-weeks-old. At first I thought, "Ugh!" Boy, was I wrong! Either this blend has changed...or the components...or my tastebuds...or the "tincture of time" has worked its wonders...OR the crop of the constituents has varied due to climate...source...processing. I could go on forever about all that plays into a blend, but I won't.

Suffice it to say that Odyssey is a deep, rich, full, satisfying tobacco for those who want a left-to-the-jaw of Latakia, but who want to retain consciousness to enjoy the entire bowlful. The black Virginias mellow the effect...and the Orientals provide a stimulus to maintain consciousness. Even way-too-fresh, this is a damned good smoke!

If you loved the REAL Rattray's Black Mallory...or kindred tobaccos...you will be beguiled by Odyssey.

This is a well-tempered Balkan...A Latakiaphile's Dream-Come-True. I am soon to go in-search of some aged stuff!

Based on the order in which I've smoked various GLP blends rather than the order in which they were made, I have this picture of Greg Pease in my head.

As he is creating his blends, he's dabbling and puffing and testing and laughing an evil laugh, saying "If I put a pinch of this in the blend, it'll taste like this midway through 1/8th of the bowl and a bit of that will alter the 58th puff and then a dash of that, and it'll take the blend in a whole new direction! This is going to be zealously and meticulously complex stuff... mwaa-haa-haaa!".

It usually takes me awhile to figure out Greg's blends. I'm usually happy when I do. But he's finally made one that is based not on complexity but on fantastic taste from top to bottom. This is it. He's finally given me a chance to relax! I'm not spending too much time studying the smoke nor am I obsessing about a lack of flavor.

Odyssey is the finest tasting latakia blend I've ever smoked. It replaces Lancers Slices in that regard, and thankfully Greg left out LS's tendency to make my tongue feel grainy. Odyssey is a bold taste that lasts the entire bowl, changing only to create an ebb and flow of that incredible flavor. I find almost no complexity to this blend, a trait that Greg would undoubtedly disagree with and cause him to wonder about my ability to discern tobacco quality. But there is nothing wrong with creating a blend that simply tastes fantastic and doesn't conjure up images of spice racks, plums and figs, etc. I'm actually relieved that he came up with this one! Latakia heavy, to be sure, but possibly the perfect interplay of all the tobaccos, the combination creating a sublime smoking experience for those times that I just want something that is consistent, top to bottom.

My other two favorite GLP blends are Meridian, which is a moderately complex blend (and that is its strength) and Charing Cross, which is about as much of a flavor burst as I can stand AND it's complex to the extreme. This one is for when I don't want my tobacco to dictate my mood but for when my mood dictates my tobacco, and I want a fantastic, mouth-filling smoke that I don't have to ponder.

Greg, I've read that you prefer complex tobaccos. I wish I could say I'm sorry that I don't find this one to be so, but I think complexity would spoil it for me. More of this heading to my cellar! Well done!

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Charring light brings forth flavors of wood, rich earth, leather and salty sulfuric accents. To start, the smoke is soft, smooth, silky and altogether not too spicy. The forwardness of the latakia is nicely tempered by the other tobaccos. This creates a wide bold rich flavor that seems to blossom on the palate. There is a sweetness embedded deep within the flavor but it is more of a bottom note amidst the wider spectrum of musty, moldy, smoked peat flavors. It's similar to the role sweetness plays in a dry Islay malt, a subdued phenolic sweetness found in the undercurrent of the softer bottom-end flavors and nothing more.

As the bowl progresses, rye, burnt popcorn & strong Danish style licorice are some of the more prominent flavors I notice. The smoke is firm, complex and pungent, yet somehow still soft and fragrant. Retrohale provides an intriguing blue cheese like flavor and aroma. And like a strong blue, Odyssey remains full, sharp and flavorful and creamy. Any typical latakia edges are softened out nicely by the orientals & Virginia's and even through to the mid- smoke point the mouth-feel still remains gentle. When pushed Odyssey gets spicier & smokier, and pine pitch flavors accompany the earthy overtones.

The thing that I love best about this mixture is that it has an absolutely amazing end smoke which reveals a slight curry like flavor. Layered within this is slight pepperiness that forms on tip of the tongue. There is no bite whatsoever, only complex dark subtleties and nutty, semi-sweet wood smoke flavors. There's even a wee-little- bit of a fresh evergreen aroma I find similar to the scent of standard green Palmolive. Altogether this is an incredible tobacco mixture, and an absolute pleasure to smoke on a cool autumn or winter evening.

Odyssey stays lit out of tin okay, but does require a few relights both at the beginning and along the way. I would be somewhat reluctant to dry this tobacco, only because the flavors are so impressive without any dry time that I would not want to risk losing any complexities to moisture loss. With a bit of practice and with being careful not to tamp too much or pack too firmly, Odyssey is well behaved, user friendly and burns nicely for a big latakia. This is an excellent full flavored blend. Lovely stuff. Highly Recommended.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is the other Balkan on my "to try" list, aside from Larry's Blend. Actually, it's the third. Well, not really. I forgot that I picked up a Tinderbox bulk Balkan not too long ago, which wasn't exactly a genre defining specimen. I settled for it after having scoured the local tobacco shops for a can of Odyssey. With no luck, I finally broke down and ordered online, which I should have done from the very beginning.

But I've been giving Old Larry and Mr. Odyssey here some sparring time, and I should say I love them both. That might not be saying much, considering I'd probably give a bar of soap four stars if I was compelled to smoke the thing. Though all kidding aside, Odyssey has earned its marks. There's a big Latakia flavor here that's nicely balanced by the addition of the varying Oriental and Virginias. Larry's blend is damn near overkill on the Latakia, which even still, I very much enjoy. But Odyssey is far smoother, in my opinion, which makes it more ideal for routine smokes.

My freshly opened tin was pretty damp. Damper than I can remember any other Pease blend I've cracked open. I've come to enjoy a nice, crisp tobacco leaf, by some chance coincidence not too long ago. It would be that I'd spend a great deal of time fretting over the moisture level of my tobacco, going great lengths to rehydrate blends that I felt had gone too dry. As it turns out, I plan on airing this sucker out for a few hours to really get it going.

Compared to Larry's blend, you'll see the brighter leaf jump out at you, which I tend to think makes for a more nuanced and delicate blend. I can see Greg being especially finicky about Odyssey back during the "conceptional" phase...micromanaging every last element to his taste. He really seems to set the bar for the rest of us, and not the other way around. The guy's a master at that sort of thing. As far as the marketing is concerned..oh, I won't go there.

I know some call this overbearing, but I would disagree. I'm not getting a nicotine kill on Odyssey, and I'm not complaining. What's great is the flavor, and the new territory I've been able to cover going the Balkan road. My poor London Mixture has been getting jealous. I'll have to pay closer attention to her...when this is all done.

You'd be a bastard to rate this any lower than a four. Smoke Up.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Extra Strong

Let me begin by saying that I do not normally load up with latakia blends, especially ones with the reputation this one has of being BIG in latakia flavor. Well, I admit to being surprised at how smooth and tasty this blend is. It is big, but in a palate pleasing sort of way with no harshness or dreaded latakia aftertaste. It burned quite cool (most latakia laden blends do), and I wanted another bowl immediately--very unusual for me.

This is not a blend I'd want to wake up to in the mornings. Of course, there is no accounting for taste and the next reviewer indicates he likes to wake up to this stuff. Be forwarned though, if you are going to smoke it indoors, pick a night (or morning) when the missus is away. (Be sure to use lots of air freshener and keep the windows open while smoking, or your liable to get caught!)

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Smokey, sour, and just enough sweetness to keep it from leaving a sour aftertaste. Very nicely done. Very highly recommended.

Calamiti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calamiti (66)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Gregory Pease is not just a tobacco blender, he's an artist of tobacco blending. He's really talented and creative in making, naming and presenting his artisanal blends.

A pipeful of Odyssey sets you out, well, to an odyssey - a lengthy contemplative journey on the waves of tobacco flavours. Rich, full, abundant Latakia goodness accompanies you through the most of the journey. The Latakia here is so good, it makes this blend a treasure among Latakia-heavy blends, of which this is one of the nicest.

However the eponymous Odyssey by Homer was not an easy weekend sailing trip. The real Odysseus had to cross realms of monsters and face formidable demons. That's unfortunately what happened to me in my own odyssey with this tobacco.

By the last third of the journey the Latakia goodness had gradually faded away overpowered by harsh, unpleasant and aggressive fumes. Confused, I reached to the itinerary Gregory had provided in his tin description. That was, as he claimed, "exotic oriental tobaccos ... dancing delicately like Dervishes in the billowy clouds of fragrant smoke". I don't know. What I encountered at the end of my bowl was not delicate at all. Billowy clouds of harsh smoke coming out of my pipe reminded me not of Dervishes but rather of Jihadists.

So, my odyssey, unlike the original epic poem, didn't have a happy end.

Even though I loved very much the Latakia in this blend, I won't buy another tin of Odyssey exactly because of this harsh and unpleasant finish.

Pipe Used: Peterson Bent Billard 221

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (18)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow, this is incredible weed. Pease makes some outstanding blends, but this is my favorite. I would love to be able to give some context with aged Odyssey, but I cant seem to cellar any because I just end up smoking it! This is directly in my wheelhouse, so I cant summon enough superlatives to describe my love of this blend. Its strong, its fulfilling, its packed with all the Lat and vitamin N that I crave at night after dinner. Odyssey is like having a big bloody steak after eating salad for a month. This is in my all time top three. Probably a toss up between this and Nightcap for my favorite blends of all time. To address the one complaint that some have, yes it does have some quirks in the pipe. It takes some time to figure out how to handle Odyssey. Like driving a sports car with a stick, you need to play around with this one a bit. I admittedly tend to want to smoke this like a coal fired locomotive because I love the strength and taste. It takes some restraint. I also have found that I like it best in a large billiard with a nice big open bowl. Not a good fit for a tall narrow bowl, in my opinion. Once you find the pipes in your collection that it likes, and you get your rhythm with this, it will blow your mind. Its the crown of the line from a virtuoso tobacco wizard. Its real man baccy. It will put hair on your chest, make you grow your beard out, and feel the urge to go out and hunt and forage. Or just sit on your porch and philosophize. Sorry, I try to write reviews that are more useful and tangible, but my bias is just too strong with this one. I could go on and on, but I am loading up a big fat Comoy's Grand Slam with Odyssey for an hour of bliss before bed. Enjoy Gents.

Pipe Used: big old billiards

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

My tin was dated 2006. I almost bought a fresh one for comparison, because age tends to tame Lat blends.

My tobacco was dry to the point of crispy. I rehydrated for 90 minutes prior to jarring.

Odyssey is full. It is the fullest Lat blend I've smoked with the exception of Captain Earle's Ten Russians, Ten Russians being too full for me to enjoy. Odyssey (aged anyway) doesn't quite reach that level. I do enjoy this tobacco, but I can only imagine how full it is fresh. Remember, this tin was 5 years old. A fresh tin certainly must be even more intense than Ten Russians, which means that this is a Lat bomb and a half, and only the most ardent Latakiaphiles need apply.

Aside from the Latakia barrage, I get a very good quality blend here. I get a sour and tangy Oriental presence that is not overwhelmed by the Latakia. I always find this element in a Lat blend compelling, and I seek out and cellar tobaccos that have it. I don't find the Virginia steps forward here, but it has very big Latakia and Oriental components to contend with.

This is a blend for those who like big, full Lat blends. Lots of Latakia, and a great heaping scoop of delicious Orientals. This, to me, is a blend for nights when I question if my palate is up to anything complex yet I want something flavorful. This is not complex. It is overt, big and delicious. However, if at five years it is this full, I am sure I would find this tobacco unsmokable fresh.

I'll also add that I've never smoked a tobacco that I had to work so hard to keep lit.

10January2012 Have to add a star to bring this one up to 4. This blend grows on you in a hurry, and it always provides a great smoke. You don't have to worry about body chemistry of the alignment of the heavens. At first blush it's incredibly full, but it only takes a few bowls before that impression goes away and you simply crave its big, delicious flavors. Another tobacco I buy in 16oz tins in case of apocalypse.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 09/11/07 (8 oz. tin)

Aroma: More campfire-smoky in the jar than Abingdon, even though we've established that Abingdon has more Latakia. Don't know what it is about this blend, but it's darker, smokier and richer than Abingdon. I expect darker because the Virginias are stoved, but perhaps that adds to the overall “smokiness” of the blend too, a characteristic I normally associate only with Latakia.

Appearance: A finer ribbon than Abingdon. Well, Abingdon really isn't a ribbon at all. And actually Odyssey is more like a cut-up flake. A pseudo-ribbon. A ribbon poser. The shorter, stubbier, not-as-handsome cousin of the classic curly smooth ribbon. It's like little sticks, cut up short and thin, busted up a bit, like it was soaked in liquid nitrogen, dropped, and busted into shards, which makes it easier to load and pack than Abingdon. It looks kinda like Lancer's Slices except with the addition of some red leaf. The Latakia and the black stoved combine to make it at least 80 to 90% black.

Flavor: Smoky. Again, a flavor I normally associate with Latakia, and which seems to make this more smoky than Abingdon. If I blind tested the two, I would surely peg Odyssey as having more Latakia, but that's not the case according to Mr. Pease. The age of my relative samples could have something to do with it, as well as the proportions of the Orientals and Virginias too. For example, even if there was less Latakia than in Abingdon, but there were also less Orientals with a higher percentage of Virginia, then the Latakia could overpower the smaller percentage of Orientals and make the blend seem smokier. But this, as in many other areas of my life, is total speculation. However, it does seem quite clear to my taste buds that this blend has a lower percentage of Orientals than Abingdon. And I like that!

Yes, I am a Latakia Hound. Among my favorites are Commonwealth, SG Balkan Flake and Lancer's Slices which, to my knowledge, are all made from only Virginias and Cyprian Latakia. Odyssey, however, has the smokiness I love in those blends, but with the added interest of Oriental tobaccos “belly dancing” in the background (Greg Pease's words, not mine!). He also states “If you're a Latakia lover, Odyssey will surely enthrall you.” Yup, he's right. I like this better than Abingdon.

I found myself relighting more often than with many tobaccos. It's not at all wet, in fact my 8 oz. tin dated 2007 was quite dry when I opened it (grabbed it off the shelf at Cigar and Tabac in K.C. a couple months ago). Can't figure that one out, but a very recent thread discussed this same problem. It's not to the point of being a nuisance, so it won't affect my opinion about it at all. It also smokes a bit hotter than Abingdon.

The first two-thirds of the bowl are relatively consistent, a big Latakia blend with a noticeable Oriental presence that always stays in the background and even fades as the bowl progresses. There is the sense of some Virginia sweetness present, but the actual Virginia flavors are lost to the Latakia, especially in the second half as the overall flavor gets more and more pungent. Sipping, as usual, really brings out the flavors, but this also allowed mine to go out, therefore the relights. Upon relighting, there was a big Oriental blast, then it settled down once again into its regular form. No gurgling during the entire smoke, and didn't use a single pipe cleaner.

The last 15 to 20% is hardcore (in a good way). This is where it lives up to the adjectives like “full” and “big.” Like the last two inches of a really good cigar, Odyssey gets serious at this point. If you don't like strong, then stay away or dump it out before arriving here - the journey to this point will have been worth it. But if you're the type that likes a double espresso after you've finished your big garlicky Italian dinner at 11:00 p.m., then you'll want to persevere to the very bottom of the bowl, where you're left with only a very dark to black-colored ash.

Pease says he worked for months on the proportions in Odyssey, and I would say it paid off. Any more Latakia, and it would totally overpower the rest of the blend. Any more Orientals, and it would be difficult to distinguish from Abingdon (except for the stoved leaf). Any less Orientals, and they would totally fade into the background. With more Virginias, there wouldn't be enough room for the Latakia and Orientals to play. Yes, I'd say his work in the lab paid off handsomely. Four stars, and one rung higher than Abingdon IMHO. I want to smoke this while sitting around the campfire at Stinson Beach with some dear friends, a bottle of 1994 Dow's Vintage Port and a guitar.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Interesting comments about this blend in this section. First, if you don't like latakia blends or balkans, you aren't going to like Odyssey. No chance. I get a kick out of the reviewers who essentially know they aren't going to like a style of tobacco, and then say it might be good if YOU like that style, but it's nothing they would like...one star. I would never review an aromatic because it's not my cup of tea, and would not really feel qualified to give a proper evaluation of an aromatic blend. Each to their own, but it's just something that I had to get off my chest.

There is nothing surprising or controversial about Odyssey. It is exactly how Greg describes it on the label. A big, full Balkan blend, that reminds me of the full English tobacco blends of the past.

This is a dark tobacco in the tin, but a wonderful, round tasting tobacco in the pipe. It is rare indeed to find a blend that is this big, but doesn't bite or overwhelm your senses at some point. Odyssey is indeed very refined.

Some of Greg's blends are exceedingly bland to my taste. Odyssey is full of flavor, yet subtle. The latakia is the star here, but the supporting cast props it up dutifully.

If you enjoy exhaling your smoke through your nose, Odyssey won't disappoint if you enjoy this style of tobacco. I get a magnificent display of cocoa, leather, a light cinammon quality...almost as if freshly baked goods were in the house.

I think this is a wonderful blend, and highly recommend it to you if you enjoy this genre.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Tin Aroma: Deep and sweet, the earthy tones are what I immediately notice, but following closely on their heels is a natural sweet, syrupy aroma that can only come from stoved Virginia tobacco.

Physical Characteristics: Does Greg Pease make an ugly tobacco? Every blend of his that I have tried (that's all of them for those of you keeping score), have been visually stunning. Odyssey is no exception; being a study in contrasts. The short, light leaf, the longer jet black ribbons, the dusky earthy Latakia, and sweet, syrupy Virginias, all held together by the Oriental varietals. Odyssey fairly pours itself into the pipe, and does not fight packing in the least. It lights immediately and pleasantly, burning eveny and slowly away to a fine white ash.

Notes: Sweet and smoky all at once, there are depths to this tobacco that my meager smoking sample (1lb so far) cannot suffice to plumb it. Immediately I was taken by the earthy warmth of the Latakia, and was content to marvel at the skillful way it was the star, without overpowering. Then, a tin or two later, I noticed that without the sweet, caramel Virginias, the Latakia would simply have been too much, and the blend would have been monochromatic. Another tin brought the realisation that a simple Latakia/Virginia blend could never be like this, no matter what the skill of the blender, and I mavelled at the selection of precisely the right Orientals to fill in the cracks and round off the edges. I smoked another tin and marvelled at the way that these elements did not compete, as they do in so many blends, first one shining, then the next, but instead worked together, to provide, in my opinion, a smoke bigger than the sum of it's parts.

Verdict: Stop the presses, we have a winner! Ashton's Celebrated Sovereign has been dethroned as my all time favorite tobacco. Buy it!

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (54)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not going to add or contradict other good reviews, so my added comments would be..... Like GL Pease says….its Latakia BOLD. But surprisingly, not on the first light. In the tin the Latakia strikes you right in the face (which I don’t care as I like Latakia), but the moment you light, the softest creamiest balanced Latakia / Oriental / Virginia tobacco blend comes through with even a hint of sweetness as an afterthought. A complex yet satisfying smoke. Throughout the bowl the hint of sweetness stayed with you.

YouTube Video

Pipe Used: Bari wiking

pipesofpeace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesofpeace (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I`ve been cellaring a tin of Odissey from march 2013. Opened it two days ago and can`t stop smoking it!!.

Tin notes are clearly defined by Latakia content, which is powerful but not overwhelming. Smells of leather and campfire comes to my mind. The first puffs are simply sublime, with the latakia singing loud and clear. Some sweetness coming from Virginias (?) gives the mixture a great balance, while orientals are playing always in a second role, but coming to front occasionally. I agree with some reviewers this is not a lat bomb, but has considerable quantities of a great quality latakia. No so easy to keep it lit; had to relight several times.

The second half of the bowl becomes more powerfull and enjoyable. This is a blend to be by your own, just in company of your thoughts. A serious tobacco to have a while aside the family. Just you, your pipe, and this GREAT BLEND!!!.

I must say i`m in love with this blend. I tried before MALTESE FALCON and loved too. But this is by far my number one Pease`s blend.

I highly recommend to try this great tobacco!!!.

Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I have been smoking this blend since it came out, so thats about 9-10 tins. It is wonderful. It does not have the acrid flavor that turned me off of Caravan, but instead rewards one with a beautiful "Wagnerian" symphony of flavor. Smoky Latakia, its there, sweet and fragrant oriental, its there, virginia, its there. All in one can! My only warning is that the flavor is so rich that I can only smoke one or two bowls per day, otherwise I can not taste anything else. Not that it is hot, no not at all, but rather it is full in complexity of flavor. Update: 07-22-04 Since the introduction of the "classic series" by Greg, this blend has been overshadowed by "Charing Cross" and "Abingdon" IMO and therefore, after my cellar stash is gone, I doubt I will purchase any more. I recently opened a tin that was about 2 1/2 years old and it was delicious, but the later blends still outshine this one. The draw backs of improving your craft...hmm

Rating 4 out of 5 Points.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Oh my God, it is like smoking pure Latakia. Above all I want to say that I appreciate Pease and I like his mixtures. Always high quality tobacco. Pease blends are a guarantee. But in this case Latakia taste is really strong, overwhelming and for me it’s impossible to detect the different nuances of Virginia and Oriental tobaccos. If you like an English mixture with a very very high Latakia content this is certainly your tobacco. But in my opinion the Latakia content is really excessive. In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 7 and two stars.

petrisz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
petrisz (9)

This is a Balkan blend with a nice amount of Latakia in it. The tobacco is ribbon cut. Little more than a half of it is black, the remaining leaves are dark brown and a very little amount of bright leaves. The tin note is rich & oily. I freshly opened a new tin and was happy to find it to be the right humidity. Later I was proven to be wrong and this tobacco would had needed some time to breathe and dry prior to smoking :) This little excess humidity made me smoke it a bit faster, required some re-lights and gave me a little tongue bite.

On the palate and in the nose I felt pine tree, forest honey, burnt brown sugar, some woodsy-ness. The Latakia is dominant but not overpowering - accompanied by Oriental and little Virginia. The latter one had been solved into the blend and hard to find at times. The taste is also creamy and nutty. It is full but not overwhelming.

By mid-bowl it gets more spicy: hints of mint, pepper, little lemon balm, sandalwood. In the last part of the bowl I was surprised to taste chocolate and ginger and some forest honey again.

Nicotine-wise this blend is medium. I felt just a little N-kick to know that it was tobacco I was smoking.

This blend reminds me of Balkan Sasieni but is evidently richer and much more interesting. If I were a sailor and having a shipload of this good stuff I would gladly sail around the Mediterranean Sea for years :)

Pipe Used: Mersch

Age When Smoked: freshly bought

Purchased From: 4noggings.com

Similar Blends: Balkan Sasieni - Balkan Sasieni.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Finally found my best experience with this blend. I got a free sample and it is a little on the dry side. However, still extremely smokable. I loved it tonight in my gourd calabash. Smokey, slightly spicy, rich Balkan with hints of black licorice. Easy on the nicotine, and so complex. I don't remember the first pipe I tried it in, but it came across as too aggressive at first and not as relaxing. Tonight, totally relaxing smoke in the calabash. Will try again in another pipe and will update if it gets aggressive again. My sample had quite a few gnarly stems in there tho that I picked out.

Pipe Used: Butz choquin gourd calabash

Age When Smoked: A few months old - maybe 6 months.

Purchased From: Sample from smokingpipes online

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is what a latakia mixture should be. You should be able to taste the latakia fully, while the blend itself should have some sweetness. This is my favorite latakia blend (other than nightcap).

Medium None Detected Full Strong

I am not one to normally go for a full English blend, but I really like this one. It is heavy on the lat, but there is a great balance to it that makes this a fantastic change up for me from time to time.

It is as smoky as one would expect with the lat content, but it does not overwhelm the tastebuds leaving one with campfire tongue. It rather has an exotic type of sweetness that is likely coming from great balance of all the elements. The sweetness is not like a Presbyterian or Squadron Leader or other Virginia dominant English blends. It is more of an incense type of taste that only comes from orientals used wisely.

I will definitely reorder this in the future and highly recommend it.

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (49)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I returned to pipe smoking recently after 4 years of pause, and did it with locally purchased aromatic junk. Where I live, you find only that kind of tobacco. Not only in Bulgaria where I am, but in the whole Balkan peninsula at all. After a week of smoking aros, I was desperate for a Latakia hit, but USPS delivery from US takes 10 days at least. When I received a package with some nice stuff, I was jumping in the air. I just grabbed the first tin, and it happened to be the Odyssey. First puffs of the false lit and the wonderful incense like aroma of Latakia put me in the real mood. I didn't like it, I loved it. I finished the tin hungry for that wonderful Latakia and even enjoyed the aftertaste. I know this review isn't much relevant since I smoked it after a week of torture with aromatics, but anyway, too much Latakia? There isn't such thing. Full Lat smoke is always a winner. I give this 4 stars. I will order some more, and reach for it every once in a while.

Latakiafile Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakiafile (9)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

This tobacco is one I have been smoking now for a few years. I ordered it based on the excellent reviews on this sight and found at first it was very difficult for me to get a handle on. The flavor was excellent, the aroma was excellent. There were still some problems. It wouldn't stay lit without a great amount of effort and I wasn't getting much complexity from it either. After putting some time in the cellar on it and taking my time with it (this smoke must be sipped not chugged)I found this tobacco to have much more to it than the Latakia bomb it has been labled. If you like Latakia alot but still want something besides Latakia flavor try it you won't be disappointed. Your wife may not appreciate the room note but that won't be an issue. I highly recommend this BIG Pease blend. It's worth taking the time to get to know.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Odyssey is a "Tale of Two Tobaccos", one for the first half of the bowl and another for the second. Upon lighting this tobacco you get a nice rich hit of latakia with a spice that starts to build and build until your entire mouth is on fire. Not like a tongue bite but more like you are eating a jalapeno. I actually had to put my pipe down and allow sensation to come back. Upon relighting, I went through the same experience . Then magically about halfway down this great Oriental/Va taste took over. The heat was gone, the flavor was fantastic, I wanted more. Now all I have to do is find someone who will smoke the 1st half of the bowl for me so I can enjoy this tobacco. It is interesting, when looking at the other reviews, how this tobacco can be so loved and so hated. Now I know. I'm smoking some Westminster right now and it doesn't have the heat, but it doesn't have the second half flavor either.

Update 10/24/11- My tin now has about ten months of cellaring and has shown good improvement. 80% of the heat is no longer with this blend and although I couldn't smoke this all day ( as much as I want too)I can enjoy the pipeful. Two things about GLP blends, they all seem to have a very nice smokieness ( Latakia) and they all need to age 9-12 months in order to mellow them out. I believe I like this better than Westminster because it has a higher Latakia content that is out front and is not as muted. As far as an outfront Latakia with Oriental support there are others I like better, such Dan's "Midnight Ride".

Updated 11/16/11- I've now reached the last 1/3 of the tin, another month of age and oxygen and this has turned into a masterpiece. Perfect balance between latakia and Orientals ,no heat, full flavor. This has kicked "Midnight Ride" to the back of the cellar. YOU NEED TO AGE THIS, THE END.

Updated 6/11/12- This is a great tobacco, however, it does have a spice that can be hot if you're doing multi bowls. I compared this to Nightcap and Pirate Kake and I like those better for diffrent reasons. This, still gets 4 stars but only with a tin that has a year of age, otherwise the spice is too much, this blend is HUGE.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Odyssey is a beautiful mix of red and black Virginias, a healthy dose of Cyprian Latakia, and Orientals, which, in the tin, provides a nice mottling of golds, browns, and blacks. The tin aroma is quite pleasant, with scents of the woods, leather, and sweet Virginias. Like most Pease blends, the moisture level of Odyssey is just about perfect. The charring light brings clouds of thick, luxurious smoke in which the latakia immediately asserts its presence. With the initial light, that presence remains, and mingles with the sweet tones of the fine Virginias and the delightful, woodsy spice of the Orientals. The smoke is cool, smooth, and extremely pleasant. By mid-bowl, the fullness of the flavor becomes something special. Cyprian latakia, in my opinion, provides a different flavor than the Syrian type I often prefer, and in this blend it's used to perfection. Yet it never overpowers the sweetness of the Virginias, not hides the spice of the Orientals. Rather, the three types of tobacco play together like an orchestra, playing upon one another, accenting one another, and filling in the spaces often left blank by each individual type. The end of the bowl provides a fine finish. The flavor continues to build, rather than to fade, become acrid, or just tiresome. In fact, this is a tobacco which disappoints only in that eventually the bowl will be finished. Were I to find a real complaint about the blend it would have to be that I found it somewhat difficult to keep lit, though each relight reminded me of why I was enjoying it so much. Pease creates fine blends of tobacco, and I will readily admit to being an impartial judge of them. That said, I am a Virginia smoker, and not a really huge latakia fan. But like some of his other English blends, Odyssey (really a Balkan) will continue to entice me. Coming from a Virginia smoker, I can't imagine a higher compliment for a tobacco.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)

I got a couple of tins of this along with some other American blended tobaccos I ordered a couple of years ago, and only just got round to trying it.

Having seen Mr Pease's website, I had high expectations- he waxes lyrical about his blending, and he seems to have a crowd of similarly poetic fans who believe him to be Gods' gift to blending. So he can talk the talk- can he walk the walk?

At first, I wasn't so impressed. The first few bowls started out very good, but then deteriorated about halfway through into a monotonous tonguebite that drowned all flavour, and required a lot of relights. However, with a little drying, it burns all the way through and I've had some outstanding smokes with it.

As with all tobaccos, and especially Latakia, it smokes best outdoors, the cool air brings out the best flavour from it. If smoked peacefully it burns for a long time and the flavor develops somewhat through the bowl. Plenty of latakia, as I like, the orientals seem quite astringent, and the virginia just gives a hint of sweetness. It doesn't have the fermented, yeasty smell of my favourite Dunhills, but you do get that nice salty tang from time to time, and plenty of campfire smokiness. Only a hint of resiny flavours, but it's nice and earthy, in a good way. There isn't any pattern to the flavour development through the bowl- it's different every time, I suppose depending on what got packed in where. As it has got even drier, I get some cigar like notes from time to time, something I notice with a few Latakia blends when they dry out, and in this one the astringency of the orientals is accentuated, giving it some tea like flavours- particularly like China tea, Oolong and Pu'erh, quite woody and dry. However, with drying, the bite has returned a bit, so it must be smoked carefully.

All in all, a very interesting blend, there's a lot to it. But I won't wax poetical about it just yet- it isn't Nightcap.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Finally, a real quality balkan blend that is not just another latakia dump of inferior quality. And that is what I think has been the primary problem with english blends for more than the past ten years, poor quality latakia flooding the market in volume. The english blends on whole today are not as good as in the past. So much of this crap latakia taste nothing more than like soot with no real character and some poor bastards can't get enough of it. This blend is very well balanced and refined. The latikia has real quality taste that imparts a salty sensation on the taste buds. It reminded me of Balkan Sobranie of yesteryear in that regards. The dark stoved virginias add lite sweatness, round out the blend and tie everything together. Orientals play smaller harmonious role. Despite the more aromatic and robust qualities of oriental and latakia tobacco, those dark stove virginias are the real secrete to this blend, I think. They provide the foundation for the other virtuoso quality of condimental leaf to sing but yet, are there themselves. On minor issue is the cut of some of the ingedients are a little too wide which can impede an even burn but thats' small patatoes. A supurlative english blend, among the best on the market today.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

16th-Sep-2003. Odyssey-Absolutely BRILLIANT! I love the taste, in every way.The rich full flavour of Latakia,& it's back ground of Virginia & Oriental.Smoke's very well,right down to the last puff. One of the Best Balkan's,I have ever smoked! My favourite Pease,by far! I have only Praise for this tobacco,& I think it definitely deserves 10 out of 10.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A friend stopped by the other day and gave me half of a tin on this stuff. He said it was his new favorite, and since I trust his tastes I fired it up. What a nice smoke! The last few months have seen me smoking very few English blends. The heat has me smoking mostly burleys with the occassional VA or VA/P thrown in. This blend however has definitely got me chugging along on the Latakia train once again. The Latakia that Greg gets his hands on is always of the best kind, and the virginias that are in this blend seem to be better matured than in his other blends. My friend did say that he let the tin age for about 6 months. The Virginias give a wonderful sweetness to the smoky latakias. Don't forget that they are definitely virginias, however and should be treated accordingly (you can get bit!). I like this even better than Caravan, my favorite Pease English prior to this. The Orientals give a nice showing but remain very subdued throught the smoke- Just the way I like them. Although I still prefer blends heavier with Latakia (Penzance, Pirate Kake, Nightcap, etc.), I find this to be a nice medium English that I have no problem smoking even in the Oklahoma summer heat.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This is some hytest Latakia for a normal VA flake smoker. The nicely prepared, long ribbons consist of a high % of jet-black Latakia and stoved VAs intermixed with reds, browns and goldens. The room aroma is too strong for me to smoke among non-puffers. The taste, although enjoyable, is too full for an all-day or steady smoke. However, in the right place and @ the right time, especially after dinner, this is truly an enjoyable blend. More of the oriental influence is tasted than in some other Pease blends but the balance between the various components seems ideal and interesting. A cool, smooth, satisfying smoke that demands little attention. Seems like a must try for Latakia/Oriental fans.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

Having purchased a few tins of this about 6 month's ago, I couldn't wait to open a tin. I had previously reviewed Caravan, which I found sublime, a well rounded tobacco blend, however, the type of cavendish seems to have deterred me from giving that blend 5 stars. Well, Odyssey seems to have taken over, from my previous distraction. Reading the former reviews, I will have to concur with most, and not add much. This tobacco is full, as in taste, as they say BIG, the nicotine is present, but that is not an issue, it is expected.The Latakia is boisterous, kept only in check by the harmony of mellifluous Virginia's, and ostensible Orientals. This tobacco will not only engulf you, but will tantilize you. Well blended, as one would expect, and sure to be a crowd pleaser, for the Balkan/English crowd, that is. Not being familar with 759 I cannot compare, but this is sure to be an adequate replacement? Burns clean, smokes slow, satisfies. Nirvana?

NewPiperOldVaper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NewPiperOldVaper (2)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

HUGE not really HUGE amazing yes, significant yes, compass spinning road trip to NIRVANA, YES! You already know what the bill of materials possess, but I believe what you want to know is what makes it special. For me, it is the fact I cannot stop smoking it. When I opened my eight ounce tin, I was eyeballing the top of the can and so happy it was full to the brim. I Therefore have been smoking since noon today, as that is when the UPS guy knocked on my door, it is now five pm and yes the bowl is still smoking. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ODYSSEY... This bowl has three lives, first light, mellow second light, and finishing touch with the last bit in the pipe, you just cannot believe it's gone and just seek out another. This is a satisfying Latakia based candy bar made of smoke particles. I taste so many nuances of chocolate and sweet Virginia in this magic potion of a blend. Oh and did i mention that first light is like if you imagine, a walk in the door from a long trip taken, HOME SWEET HOME with a kiss from your lover right on the lips. I taste creamy smokey Latakia and I hate to say it folks, find time to work or do anything after you get your hands on this, all you wanna do is smoke it till it is gone. Mix Dunghills Elizabethan mixture 50/50 with Odyssey and you get Bayou Nights...smells like BBQ sauce in the tin. Sweet smokey tangy spicy

Pipe Used: grand duke

Age When Smoked: one year

Purchased From: smoking pipe

Similar Blends: GASLIGHT, BENGAL SLICES.

This was a large sample sent to me by a friend. It was dated 2012 - so 6 years of age on it. I have not tasted it fresh, so my comments are only for the aged sample.

The tobacco is dark. There are blacks and browns in there. There are few tans - 5% maybe. It is a short chopped medium-wide ribbon with a few pieces of mostly rubbed out flake and a few bits of torn "fish food." It came on the dry end of what I would consider ideal, and I smoked it as delivered.

The flavor is good. It is primarily the smoky latakia, with a little spice from the Orientals every now and then. The stoved Virginia forms the foundation. It is slightly sweet with no hay or fruit. I get a few earthy notes every now and then. The "mouth feel" is creamy and very smooth.

It burned without incident and required an average number of relights.

This was very enjoyable. If you are looking for a med->full flavored latakia blend, this would be one to try.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

tin aroma is BIG Latakia on a bed of sweet Virginia's with a slightly sour note from the orientals. The taste is complex and nuanced . Although this is a Lat forward blend it is not a Lat bomb. The Orientals are woody amd spicy and present from the beginning vut in thw background. Aftet the first 3rd the orientals and VA's become more prominent, sweet and toasty with some hay like flavos. the spiciness from the top grade Orientals really play well with the smokey and sweet Cyprian Latakia. this is a very full flavored smoke...this is a great finish to a cold day and a steak dinner. very well balanced and deserves your full attention. The 2 tins were dry for Pease blends but close to perfect for me. Average # of relights and snoked best smoked dry in a large bowl packed on the tight side.

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

A heavy,very heavy,load of latakia,full flavour and cool smoking.I like it certainly but I don´t feel nothing special.It´s just like my personal mixture of 3 parts of pure Latakia from Mc Connell and 1 part of Gawith Hogarth 12.I repeat myself ,really good but neither complex nor subtle.Fits to the fanatical Lat lover,as this humble smoker.Virginias are fine but sincerely I don´t find orientals.Mr.Pease makes better blends.

Pipe Used: dunhill size 4

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: My before described personal mixture.

rade19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rade19 (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

A fantasy of flavors, to appreciate this blend you must smoke it very slow and tranquil, a lots of different colors will be one by one coming to your palate and make you travel to differents universes of pleasure. It's a complex blend with many surprises, sometimes takes time to push out all the class that it has. Odyssey is not another English Latakia blend, is much more than that.

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Penzance.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (23)

I received a .5 oz sample of this with my last TAD order. I have several Pease blends in the cellar I have not opened yet. This being the first blend from GL Pease I have tried I was excited having heard and read so many reviews.

It arrived at a great moisture level only requiring very minimal relights. The initial light brings a very pleasant if not strong taste of latakia. The latakia stays at the forefront for most of the bowl. The orientals pop up at times very strong to just complementing. I thoroughly enjoyed this tobacco and will be purchasing a tin or three for the cellar.

I did notice that if puffed too hard the orientals takeover and tend to sting my nose like too much perique.

Pipe Used: Dedicated lat briar

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Free .5 oz sample from smokingpipes.com

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)

A sweet addition to your Balkan collection. Not a bad alternative to Bakan Saseini, but a bit different too. As others have noticed, the sweetness evolves toward a spiciness as the bowl is finished. Not as strong as I'd like, but this is typical of Balkans, except C&D Super Balkan (my favorite Balkan), which packs a bit of a punch if you can tolerate Perique.

Odyssey is a nice quality blend that is easy to light and smoke hard, right down to ash at the bottom of the bowl. Pack loose and tamp as you smoke for best burn and flavor. This is mostly a mild+ N level, but the flavor is a real pleasure. I'm going to put a pinch of cubed burley in my next bowl, just to bring the strength up a bit.

Pipe Used: MM Pride COB

Age When Smoked: fresh 1/2 oz sample

Purchased From: gift from smokingpipes.com

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

OK this blend confirms it....... I'm a Latakia lover. This blend has the most latakia in it of any blend I have ever tried. If you can handle that much this blend is wonderful. This blend has flavor on tap! It builds as you burn through the bowl and is good from start to finish. If your not ready for it this blend can be a punch in the mouth and a slap in the senses, but if you sit back and give it a gentle steady pace it is a long, flavorful, adventure. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't give this one 4 stars.

Pipe Used: J.M. Boswell Freehand and Savinelli 315KS

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Cochon74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cochon74 (29)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Overwhelming

I should start by saying that I don't think Pease makes a bad blend. Not a single one I've tasted has been horrible. There's always a question of preference, but I don't think he releases bad tobaccoes. Every one is obviously quality leaf and an honest expression of what he believes to be a quality smoking experience. As an almost exclusively English/Balkan smoking guy, I even find Haddo's Delight, Union Square and Jack Knife Plug to have their merits.

Having said that, I wasn't amazed by Odyssey. It's good. It's massively dosed with lovely, rich latakia. There are just enough Orientals to keep it from being boring. The Va's are almost a suggestion, a hint of a component. If you want a no-nonsense, smokey, woodsy tobacco that is large and relatively nimble for its size, this blend is for you.

However, as a fan of Pease's other latakia-laden creations, I found that Odyssey fell short of the greatness of Abingdon, which is as full but more classically structured. It lacked the up-front, exotic richness of Charing Cross's Orientals. And it could not match the finesse and interplay of componets which I found so compelling in Lagonda. And perhaps this is Odyssey's strength - it's single- minded delivery of Cyprian Lat flavor in a blend which enables you to actually finish the whole bowl without dying of tedium.

I might buy another tin someday... I found it more palatable than some of the Captain Earle blends, or C and D's Pirate Kake. But I'll definitely revisit some old favorites by Pease or try another one first.

daveyj66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daveyj66 (8)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Strong

This is a tough review to write as it is on a 50g tin from December of 2006. But I will give it a shot. I have not smoked Odyssey in several years and never with that amount of age. Time has done this blend wonders. I remember this being a blend that the Latakia was the focus. The tobacco I smoked has mellowed and been rounded out with age. It still has the smokey latakia taste, but you can get a bit of the VA sweetness and the undertone of the oriental. Sometimes I wonder if Pease knows that age is going to make certain good tobaccos great! We all know age is not kind to all blends. With this being said, buy some, cellar it and revisit in 5-6 years!

TwoCents Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwoCents (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

First attempt was with a fresh tin 5 years ago. Opened it up, loaded it, lit it, gagged, put it in a jar and forgot about it. What was this Pease character thinking? That was Terrible! I had only smoked VA's and VaPers at that point. Moved on to explore Orientals, like Red Rapparee with just a touch of latakia, PCCA, lots of the newer McClelland blends like Wilderness, Syrian Star, so many great blends out in the last few years. Eventually found and loved Compton's Balkan and Macedonian, some Meridian, Maltese Falcon, edging towards an appreciation for heavier latakia blends. Got to Magnum Opus right on time and can't get enough. Looking forward to trying Lagonda. Five years and 270 blends after my first puff of Odyssey, found some tins of John Cotton's No. 1 and loved it. A friend with lots of years at this remarked that Cotton's No. 1 was similar to Odyssey. What? So I dug up the jar of Odyssey (from an '05 tin). Loaded, lit it and…. WOW! What a GREAT smoke!!! The moral of the story is that all that you read in this TR bible; it ain't necessarily so. To get the best out of a natural tobacco you have to be ready for its particular flavors, strength, know how to pack it, determine the correct moisture, pair it with the right pipe, figure out it's puff cadence, and, for sure, let it age in the tin for at least a few years and then have some weeks, or better, months, of air time in a mason jar. And then, select the blend to match the time of day, meal, mood, drink, environment and be aware of it's individual impact on your particular biochemical state which means that the only relevant decision about how good it is relates to how much you like it for you. At that point, there are several Holy Grails. It is, after all, an art (lovable work) to really appreciate the pipe. If, on the other hand, you want a quick fix right out of the tin, either get a nic patch or some PA and a cob, which might not be a bad plan while you're waiting for your high end tobaccos to age ? .... I think the Pease blends are made by a connoisseur for connoisseurs, mostly; same deal with Comptons, Esoterica, Rattray's, Dunhills (old), and lots of other natural tobaccos. So when you pop a lid like I did and find crap, think about it, you may have just missed a Holy Grail. And if you post an ignorant or self serving opinion, might further delay somebody from finding their Holy Grail.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Anyone that follows my reviews of Pease blends will find a common theme in that Greg's blend's IMHO need to be aged more than other brands.(Although there are exceptions). My first meeting with Odyssey fell into that group for me. This review is based on a four year old tin. The first surprise for me was how moist this tobacco was and how long it took to dry out. This is not typical of Pease blends which normally dry quickly after rubbing out. The appearence of the tobacco in the tin is that of a Latakia bomb, and it is somewhat, but the Orientals balence things off nicely. There is an underlying sweetness and I find this to be a cool burning smoke. The flavor is full, but for me, the strength sits firmly at medium. The nic content is not overpowering. My tastes lean toward English blends with a bit less Latakia so this blend is a nice change of pace, but won't be part of the regular rotation. I think that those that like Penzance with enjoy this blend, however I would opt for Penzance given the choice. Recommended.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)

I'm smoking this blend right now. I got an ounce of it at the C&D factory when I made a visit there this summer in NC. Nice guys over there, if you ever get a chance to check it out you should. Anyhow, this is a great blend, I fully recommend it! While I can't comment on the tin note since I only had a baggie this go round, I will say it has a nice english room note and goes great with brisk or just slightly chilly nights and a cup of tea! I really enjoy the way that the Latakia and Orientals mingle in this blend, and I'm just starting to pick out the VA's as well. I is slightly bitey for an English, with sharp flavor and an undertone of sweetness. This one starts out very smooth for me with the savory leather smoke, but then about a third of the way down it takes on that sharp spice with a bit of sweet that I mentioned. I look forward to purchasing a tin or two of this in the future! Another great blend from Pease, I'm never disappointed when I get around to trying another from one of his collections!

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant

Very nice deep resonant smoke with many overtones as the bowl progresses. Latakia dominates, as it should in this blend, but the sweetness of the high quality Virginias and the spices of the Orientals are clearly evident, and play major supporting roles. On the whole a very pleasurable and satisfying Blankan blend. For Balkans I usually smoke Balkan Sasieni (both the 2 oz tin and the bulk version available from Cup-O-Joes, but now that I have become familiarized with Odyssey, Abingdon and Charing Cross, my view has swung towards the Pease blends, with Odyssey and Abingdon vying for my attention. I really have a hard time deciding which of the two I prefer more, but tend to reach for Odyssey slightly more than I do for Abingdon. This is probably due to the higher complexity of Odyssey over Abingdon. However, a note of caution: sometimes with Odyssey I get a salty leathery taste going, that I never experience with Abingdon, and in this respect I tend to favor the latter over the former. Thanks Greg for another VERY fine blend. Truly, GL Pease will go down in the history of pipelore as one of the truly great blenders of all time.

JustPlainChris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustPlainChris (12)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Like the tin description says, this is a blend of Latakia, Orientals, and fire cured Virginia tobaccos.

When I lit this up in my standard "English/Balkan blend pipe" I noticed the Latakia. If you know Latakia and like it then you will feel right at home here. It tastes great and definitely isn't afraid to show itself here.

A split second later comes the bitter buttery creaminess of the Orientals. They add a very nice heavy tang to the Latakia, and get along famously.

Finally, the sweet and slightly tangy Virginia leaf comes through and gives that nice harmony to the smoke, bonding it all together.

I have smoked my share of cigars, and I don't get what other reviewers have said about there being a cigar thing going on with Odyssey.

G.L. Pease, you are a boon to mankind. Thank you for this blend. Homer himself would have loved this when orating his literary classics.

SydPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SydPiper (5)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As I am now into my second tin of this wonderful blend I find it outstanding. The texture and aroma are outstanding! As a Maltese Falcon fan I find it the same category, excellent. I find mine a bit moist out of the tin so a little dry time is needed for my taste. The tobaccos dance wonderfully together and last throughout the bowl. The Latikia?s smokiness last to the end and doesn?t take a front seat to the nutty or fruity taste of the other tobaccos. Another top notch tobacco by GLP.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first Pease blend so expectations were pretty high, and I may have to review this again later to be fair. If you were to believe word for word the flowery tin description of this and other Pease blends you would come to the conclusion that mr Pease is god's gift to pipe smoker's. While I don't believe everything I read, I was hooked by such descriptive flourishes as - 'exotic oriental tobaccos weave in and out, dancing delicately like Dervishes in the billowy clouds of fragrant smoke' - hmmm how poetic. The problem with words is they can be very misleading.. For example, this is considered one of Pease's 'biggest blends'.. It is said on the tin to be bold and assertive yet eminently refined.. wow that really covers everything.. So excitement was running high for me, I was dying to try this delectable mixture.. My only previous Balkan experience was Sasieni and I was expecting this to blow that one out of the water with its full rich flavor.. When I finally got to light this stuff up I was surprised by how subdued it was.. There was nothing assertive about it. I was getting background notes of oriental and latakia... and if I really tried i could make out the virginia.. but this tobacco overall behaved very strangely in the bowl and was not at all as defined as I hoped it would be.. The flavors were there but there was a certain flatness to the smoke.. It was as if the tobacco was challenging me to be bold and assertive with it - and not the other way around.. Make no mistake there is a lot of good quality within this blend.. but it did not grab me the way sasieni did.. and the Dervishes were simply whispers - nothing to exciting. I really do like subtlety, but if there is not a deffinitive statement going on all the subtlety is lost.. So I will come back to this blend for sure... but for now I am not jumping for joy over the delicate nuances.

edit.. this is a fussy tobacco.. but one thing improves it greatly.. dry it out! it seems dry right out of the tin.. but somehow the extra exposure to oxygen does help it. It still doesn't live up to expectations but it is a lot better over time.

another edit.. I would just like people to take my review with a grain of salt.. as I have heard from many sources that the pease blends differ from batch to batch.. maybe i got a bad batch.. so take this review in context.. i would also like to add that I am an admirer of consistency so i probably won't take chances with buying more tins.. but hey you might want to give it a try so - so do try it.

cutigers81 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cutigers81 (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

It took me several years of pipe smoking before I had the chance to try a Pease product. You just can't buy the stuff in Charlotte. I read all the reviews and finally decided I had to see what all the hype was about, and ordered a tin of Odyssey online.

This stuff blew my mind. It's loaded with Latakia, but there is still so much complexity to this blend. The sweetness of the VAs poke through as if on cue. Unlike others, I have no trouble keeping this lit and have never experienced anything resembling tongue bite. Amazing weed!

I seriously started freaking out after my first bowl that, if this stuff ever got discontinued, and I didn't have enough in the cellar to last me 4 lifetimes, I would be very upset with myself. If you ever see anybody at any time not smoking Odyssey, it's not me.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is another great blend from Pease.

I find this to be intriguing and absolutley one of the best flavor/ power building smokes ever.

It starts off very tasty and each puff gains more of the overall character of the flavors.

It is loaded with latakia but as the label states there is much more to the story. The va's are blended with a heavy hand in this one also with the orientals slipping through in the background.

The tin aroma is not really an indicator of what to expect in flavor from the smoke, how decieving. This smokes so nicely- forget the tin aroma. Smells a little like a twangy VA barbecue sauce, Smells more like another reviewer said he found westminster to smell like a can of freshly opened tennis balls, but to me with hints of the stuff thay add to propane gas so it can be smelled. Luckily this fades after opening and settles down. Also my tin is 3+ years old and sat in the local cigar shop so long the label and lid are yellow.

This is not even close to what I would consider a Balkan. I find this to be a great english. Not sweet but very well thought out.

Highly reccomended. I guess I am in the Pease Corps now. They are becoming all I smoke. The man just knows what he is doing- much respect to his talent and sense of taste.

Update: I am taking back one star due to the difficulty of keeping this lit and the fact that it is VERY pipe picky. Still a good smoke. Just not my #1.

Auld Eire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auld Eire (12)

08/30/08: This is the first review from a returning piper. I smoked burleys for 15 years, then switched to cigars, for about 5. Both, finally, left me flat. A couple months ago I found this site, and I remembered why as a youngster I chose pipes. Based on your great advice (and the internet superstore) I started with some VAs and some forays into Lat/Per/Orientals, including Odyssey. I also had some difficulty with the burn, but man, what flavor. All the depth and complexity missing in some very tasty VAs. (I'm finding I'm partial to certain Orientals). Anxious to enjoy a bowl of Odyssey down to the bottom, I added a little Opening Night, and there it was...rich, lush, but (due to the added VA) just a tad too sweet. I still have many blends to try, and need to master aging, rubbing and prep, but Odyssey just may be it for me. Although I don't feel qualified to give anything 4 stars, I defer to those of you who know great tobacco, and who have kindly shown this prodigal the way home.

update 09/27/08: just smoked a tin of Samarra...Odyssey now a 3 star blend.

Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Probably the best Balcan mixture. A delight for Latakia fans, it's not for the faint of heart. Wonderfully balanced to keep Latakia on the edge of being overwhelming and at the same time letting the Orientals and Virginias fade in and out. As a side note, it burns to a wonderful white ash that it's a pleasure to see against the black background of Latakia.

This is tobacco turned into an art form.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

What's not to like? Well, it doesn't burn so well as many reviewers have noted, but it does taste heavenly. I have a GBD that is dedicated to this strong latakia blend and it works for me. It certainly isn't garbage as one reviewer noted.

I have noted a tendency in some walks of life, that when someone reaches the pinnacle of accomplishment or popularity, as G.L. Pease certainly has, some "experts" feel the need to take the person down a peg. To suggest that Odyssey is a one-star blend is ridiculous when one considers some of the genuine garbage that is available for review.

Rollo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rollo (1)

Odyssey is jut that sort of tobacco which makes pipe smoking a truly enjoyable experience. If so tasteful that it would be best to keep a briar pipe for it alone, to avoid having it mixed with other blends. Yet, its really deep flavor may be initially appreciated in a meerschaum or clay pipe. No bit tongue, no dry mouth. It keeps you aware of the real wonder of sense of smelling and above all that of tasting. It is gentle, generous, always surprising, and a the end it teaches you to be grateful for being so alive as to enjoy the merciful pleasures of a simple and decent live. I tend to think of it as the tobacco Indians would have likely loved to smoke to reconcile themselves with earth and all living creatures.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

An excellent full bodied latakia smoke. When opening the can, one is greeted with a very dark black tobacco blend with a strong latakia leather smell. Agree with all the reviewers that commented on the difficulty to keep it lit. Does not burn easily but does burn cool. The black stoved Virgina gives it a very hearty taste. Reminds me of Balkan Sobraine. Very dry. I can not see smoking this as a daily smoke but when a full latakia is required, can do no better. Tend to like Westminster better for the perique that is added. I will add to this review as I go through the tin but do plan on buying a tin and stashing it away. Think this will age nicely and will be a nice smoke on an occasional basis. I usually do not dedicate pipes since I I have all kinds of moods that takes me to all permiatations of pipes and different tobaccos but this is so full and unique that I would dedicate a pipe for this one if a regualr.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Smoking a pipe and different tobacco's over several decades has not left me an expert! I knows what I likes and I knows what I doesn't and this one I likes!

For someone who enjoys the English and Balkan blends, this is an outstanding tobacco. Full of flavor without a bite. If you don't like Latakia, then you won't like Odyssey. Not that the Latakia is overpowering, it really isn't but you can't miss its zing in this tobacco.

I would recommend this to new pipe smokers as well as those looking to switch over or try the Balkan/Orientals.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

As a lover of Balkan blends, and a Pease fan to boot, I'm surprised it took me so long to get around to Odyssey. But I finally opened a five-month old tin to give it a try.

The first hit -- to the nose, to the eyes -- is a motherlode of latakia. And that's the dominating taste when match hits bowl. But if smoked slowly, it doesn't take long for the orientals to come bursting through, and then the Virginias. (I don't think I've ever smoked a blend that so expertly comingled latakias and orientals so that it's sometimes difficult to tell where one leaves off and the other begins.)

To my palate, this somehow falls outside the Balkan lines -- or else it's "Balkan" pushed to the limits. And it actually seems to have more in common with Pease's subsequent Westminster (although it falls short of Westminster's richness and complexity) than it does with, say, Charing Cross or Caravan. But regardless of how you categorize or compare it, this blend is a four-star joy.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)

I'd had Fillmore and Haddo's, but had never tried one of Mr. Pease's latakia blends. I decided to start things out right with Odyssey, and I'm quite glad I did.

Much like Dunhill's Durbar, what really stands out here are the orientals. Very tart with a little spice... The latakia is top notch stuff, smoky and rich. The virginias have no bite, and I love how they work in tandem with the orientals... ahhhh... the sweet & sour taste that is such a pleasure on the palate & through the nose. I also can't help but inhale at certain points.

Not much moisture in the pipe and a nice light grey ash... This is truly a masterpiece and an odyssey of the senses.

82piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
82piper (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I first encountered this blend about two years ago. I was looking for something similar to the Balkan Sasieni I had smoked a few years earlier (The newer version of Sasieni was nothing like the first I had). The tobacconist recommended Odyssey. I purchased a 2oz. tin and tore it open as soon as I got in my car. He was right. Though the flavor didn't seem as consistent from puff to puff as the Sasieni, it still delivered some of the "salty" flavor that I was craving. In the following days as I returned to the blend I noticed it was becoming more consistent and providing more of the saltiness. I soon purchased another 2oz. tin and it was good also. Fast forward. About six months ago, I got the urge to revisit Odyssey and decided to get a large tin this time as I felt I already knew what to expect. Wrong. No saltiness and pretty much no flavor. I was disappointed but kept the tin and have retried it from time to time since then hoping age would improve it. No such luck. Maybe I just got a bad tin or maybe their is a difference in the small and large tins. I don't know. I plan to buy one more 2oz. tin. If it doesn't satisfy, I will be writing this blend off.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Outstandingly good ingredients, beautifully presented. This is a blend worthy to take its place with the best of its kind. Yet ...

The experience is digital rather than analogue. Each voice is heard individually rather than ensemble. The effect is of a child prodigy drawing attention to itself persistently: the performance cannot be faulted, the mannerisms could be better. Hence the withholding of the fourth star.

REVIEW 30 JAN 2007: Coming back to this mixture after a year, it is a pleasure to join many others in according Odyssey four stars. A year in the tin has married all the ingrediets, and the final effect is nothing short of superb.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It simply doesn't get better than this.

Over the past five years or so, I've sampled probably 100 or more latakia-type mixtures ranging from Pease's other products to those manufactured in the U.K., the Continent, or thrown together by various B&Ms. Most of them are mediocre at best, but thankfully there's a handful of genuinely great ones out there: Abingdon, Larry's Blend, and Wilderness, to name just three.

But Odyssey is, bar none, the best of the lot (IMHO, of course).

This may be the ultimate blend of its type, better even the Balkan Sobranie of old. The latakia is top-notch and definitely in the driver's seat, but it manages not to be overwhelming -- it may be the star of the show, but it's got one hell of an ensemble backing it up. Equally important is the unique combination of stoved VAs and orientals, which interact in such a way as to define "complexity" in the context of pipe tobacco. You really need to dedicate a pipe or two (preferably with large bowls) to this blend if you want to appreciate this latter characteristic fully. Some smokers might not agree that this is complex, instead describing it as a lat-bomb, but I find this tobacco changes flavors every few draws. The best parts are where the sweet orientals take center stage and produce a high, incense-like note that briefly overwhelms every elese -- it's a nice effect, and one I've never experienced with other mixtures.

Odyssey's basic taste profile is comparable to Larry's Blend and very similar to McClelland's Legends, only Odyssey is far richer and has several additional dimensions of flavor. Another comparison might be made to Abingdon, only Odyssey is both sweeter and, again, more complex (to my pslate, at least).

There are two drawbacks. First, as others have pointed out, Odyssey doesn't pack or burn easily. I don't know if this is because of the leaf used or if the cut is to blame, but you can easily go through a book of matches over the course of a bowl. Usually this type of problem is a "deal killer" to me, but not here -- this stuff is actually worth it. The other drawback is that it's too rough on the palate for all-day smoking, which stinks because I might otherwise seriously consider tossing most everything else in my cellar in favor of it. Both Abingdon and Larry's Blend are far easier on the mouth (hence I smoke them more frequently) but Odyssey is what I turn to when I want to enjoy a special occasion or just zone out for an hour or two.

topdogue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
topdogue (13)

This is a review of a review by Professor on August 4, 2006. For the most part, everyone who takes the time to review a tobacco does so without using ad hominem attacks on the blender or the manufacturer, or other reviewers. Mr. Pease? mixtures consistently earn 4-star ratings and if the median or mode was used instead of the average, nearly all would be 4-star rated tobaccos. I smoke a wide range of tobaccos, many flakes as well as ribbon cut mixtures and Odyssey is one of my all-time favourite VA/Orientals/Latakia mixtures. There are many others who must agree, at least in part. I have taken personal offense to Professor?s comments in his review of Odyssey. He sates he is not a fan of GLP tobaccos, hence I can only wonder why he ever buys them. Does he harbour ill-will for Mr. Pease and wishes to use this forum to ?get back? at Mr. Pease? Does he even like pipe smoking at all? I believe Odyssey is one of the world?s greatest VA/O/Latakia mixtures and would be at the top of my list of must haves on a desert island. I suggest Professor that you let me purchase all tins of glp tobacco you have and to promise to never buy a glp mixture again. Let the webmaster know where to send the money and I will give you an address.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

What can I say. when it comes to latakia i don't think there is another that can compare. Words can't describe. If you like latakia blends and have not tried this you need to.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)

This is a very well balanced blend, and I don't think I can emphasize that enough. The nice woodsy take of latakia mixed with wonderful orientals and some sweetness from the Virginia. It isn't every day I come across a tobacco that is both full bodied and controlled, but this one is. Odyssey is an excellent balkan that any english smoker needs to try. UPDATE: After more experience with Odyssey I'm still extremely impressed. The virginias and latakia weave in and out in the flavor creating an extremely complex and interesting smoke. The aroma is absolutely wonderful this is almost taking the place of Penzance for me we will have to see if that happens as I smoke more of this blend.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A excellent balkan blend, not only with a lot of latakia, has greats virginias leaf. Rich in taste, remember me the flavor of the extint Balkan Sobraine Original Mixture. It's one of the finest GL Peace's creations. May be the only problem is the sourronding aroma, because is not gentle with the public.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

My second venture into GLPease territory confirms the good impressions of my first blend, Mephisto. Reading the description on the label, I expected something stronger, as this is described as a full Balkan mixture. The truth is that this is not an overpowering assault on your senses as, for example, Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture or CAO Old Ironsides. Neither it is a full, meaty, stuff like Dunhill London Mixture. Yes, it is a Latakia-heavy blend, but its gentleness and roundedness make it a better-behaved, less rough, smoke. It seems now clear to me that Mr. Pease likes his blends carefully balanced, opting for a subtler approach than most of his competitors: Latakia as a spice, not as the main dish. Once understood this concept, I began to truly appreciate this mixture, which at first seemed somewhat lacking punch. The predominant taste is clearly Latakia, as the sweetness of the red virginias remains in the background to provide roudness, not to be distinctly perceivable. The exotic orientals provide incense-like flavors and licorecey hints, and the result is a blend with some similarities to Mephisto, but without its underlying sweetness and warmth. Its slight bitterness, typically balkan, is great: never exaggerated, always delicate, well-balanced and continuosly appealing. The slightly rough cut of the leaves (predominantly dark with yellow bits here and there) gives a pleasant "handmade" look to the blend, which nonetheless burns fine without overheating or wetness. While I think that some slightly exaggerate the qualities of GLPease tobaccos calling them the Holy Grail of pipesmokers (I always tend to be sceptical of exaggerations of any kind), this is an excellent blend that I will be glad to include in my favorite list. I recommend smoking it in a Latakia-dedicated pipe, better if it has no tendency to smoke wet, as it helps to truly appreciate it.

Try Caravan, too, for a more oriental variation on the theme!

Gordon Tavistock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gordon Tavistock (12)
Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

ANECDOTE (review below):

It was hard work to get hold of this tobacco for someone living in Norway. I had to contact a tobacconist in Nottingham, UK, which apparently was the only retailer of G. L. Pease tobaccos in the UK. They only had a few tins left, though, and would not import G. L. Pease again, as import taxes for American tobacco has risen again, "making it an impossible task to sell G. L. Pease tobacco in the UK without loosing money," as the shopkeeper wrote to me. Anyway, I managed to get hold of one tin of each G L. Pease blend they had left, and got them shipped to my girlfriend's address in London, and then she brought them with her to Norway at a later point. Was the tobacco worth the effort? YES! So far I have only tried Chelsea Morning and Odyssey, and they both are absolutely fantastic in my opinion. It is a shame that I can't get hold of them here in Norway/UK anymore.

REVIEW:

Much has been mentioned. I fully support what's being said about smokey latakia flavour and camp fire feelings. I won't write more about that; it's good and delicious, but there's no need to repeat what is fairly obvious from the moment you open the tin and smell the latakia.

Every time i light it up, it amazes me how well balanced but also transparent the blend is. I am not good at pinpointing different kinds of tobaccos and flavours in a blend, but in spite of how creamy and full-bodied this blend is, it does feel like the taste is very "open", which makes it possible to detect several dimensions of the taste. It's like those nice fragrances you can sometimes smell outdoor on a spring or summer evening, when the scents are heavy and many, but still fresh in the cool air.

Yet, Odyssey would work extremely well as a warming winter time smoke as well. Although smokey as burnt-down barn, this is also a very sweet and round blend. Through the whole smoke – if you pay attention to it – and especially towards the end of the bowl, a sugary sweetness fills your mouth. Together with its creamy smoke, it is almost as if a rich chocolate or some brown sugar is hiding below the smoke and incense.

Odyssey is a joy to just puff away at without thinking too much, but also a joy to pay close attention to.

Personally I give Odyssey a little time to dry before i load my pipe, but I find that I have to do that with most blends to avoid tongue bite. When left to dry for a little while, it smokes well, requires an average amount of relights and leaves a little bit of moist in the bowl. Will not bite if you smoke with care.

Pipe Used: A Comoy's 337c (prince shape) and a cob

Age When Smoked: 1.5 year old tin

Purchased From: Gauntleys of Nottingham

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Got about half an ounce from a friend. Great room note. Light up was fine. Taste is interesting. Lots of different flavors to me....nutty....sweet hay....earthy....little bit of leather. Just a very nice blend. I really like a blend that gives you many different flavors and this blend does it. Room note was not real popular with the wife "that smells like crap"! I kind of liked it but it is a bit strong. Now this stuff will bite you if you don't keep it slow and enjoy it. I doubt if I would go out and buy some but it is worth recommending.

Pipe Used: Poul Winslow

Age When Smoked: Small bag as gift

pylet2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylet2000 (33)

Everybody seems to like this, and for good reason. Very nice blend. Smoky latakia blends are my go-to, and this one does it very well. Many great reviews on this already, just wanted to add my thumbs up to this one!

Pipe Used: many

Age When Smoked: new to well aged

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This blend is advertised accurately, and for that it gets high marks. Lots of smoky, leathery Latakia and earthy, herbal Oriental in this one (not sure I can taste the Virginias). The combination works well to provide a mostly cool smoke with some bite, but it burns well and the room note is inoffensive. I get the sense of age and depth, but I can't quite put my finger on it. But that sense can very easily become overpowering if you smoke this too often or too quickly. I can't see this as an all-day smoke. All in all, not bad. Recommended.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

atskywalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atskywalker (5)
Mild None Detected Overwhelming Strong

Odyssey is truly huge exactly as described. To me it is huge in an overwhelming way. The Latakia is the star of the show to the point where its very difficult to discern the other ingredients.

To me the taste is monochrome and doesn't develop beyond an overwhelming Latakia presence. I like Latakia, but this blend uses Latakia in a way that I didn't taste before. The other players in the blend take such a backseat that I wonder if they exist at all.

Obviously I can see how heavy Latakia lovers would rate this very highly and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! Just not for me.

It did have an aftertaste to me because of its fullness of latakia flavour. It left my mouth dry but had no real bite to it (its actually a very smooth smoke that produces heavy thick Latakia laden smoke) Ghosting is guaranteed because of the heaviness of the smokey leaf.

I had a lot of trouble keeping it lit until I dumped the tin into my food processor and chopped it finely. It then took to the light and stayed lit.

I couldn't finish the tin because its just not my cup of tea so I began mixing it with other unidimensional blends I had that failed to grab my attention. So far mixing Odyssey with Solani Aged Burley gave me a very interesting smoke so I'll be enjoying the rest of my tin mixed in with straight Burley.

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

Purchased From: 4noggins

Otis56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Otis56 (31)

Amazing mixture. Takes you to Cairo or Marakesh in a smoke filled coffee shop where men smoke there pipes talk about what ever and and drink there Turkish coffee's or mint teas while eating finger foods and pastries. Oh so civilized. Blackash tobacco with a lovely smell of latakia and fine orientals. The Virginia adds a depth and balance of only the finest pipe tobacco blends. You would be hard pressed to find a finer blend. Gentelmen you may smoke. Peace.

Pipe Used: Ashton bent billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: 4noggins

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I was very impressed with this blend from first light, it scared me it was so damn smoky with Latakia and I loved it!! Another fine Balkan which had the ability to hit me with such profound smokiness yet also uplift the VAs and the Orientals. Again, this is such a good, chewy creation...the smoke almost seemed to stick to my teeth. I actually had to fan the plume from my face while driving one afternoon. Some may call this a Lat Bomb and they would not be far off, but any shrapnel from this bomb is of the palate pleasing type. Simply Delicious and it doesn't scare me anymore...respect it however?...YES!! PKGIYH

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bulldog

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

Odyssey, if it were a song it would be "eye of the tiger" by Survivor -- starts well, but just doesn't deliver, just keeps repeating itself. Odyssey is often referred to as a (latakia) "monster", but in the end it does not have a lot of body or complexity and I find it somewhat bland and tiring. A disappointment.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)

Latakia forward, initially. As it settles in, the other players meet the palate. More complex than Blue Mountain, with a bit more strength. Good blend - low maintenance, clean bowl. 3+.

Pipe Used: MM, Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Tin dated 16-MAR-2012

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

Mudguts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mudguts (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Good: Pouch has a smell of rich sweet latakia. Tobacco is a combination of ribbon and partially rubbed out broken flake, with some sticks. Some tobacco shows sugar crystals. Light up and you get a clean smoke. Flavors separate out (latakia, oriental) wonderfully. The stoved black virginia helps to make this a very smooth and creamy smoke, devoid of harshness or oriental sharpness. The sweetness detected in the pouch translates to the smoke. Delightful through nose. Quality tobacco. The Bad: Cannot keep it lit for love or money. This balkan is way too moist and my attempts to dry it out resulted in the loss of that wonderful initial smoking experience and flavor. Fighting through it between relights and dry outs will leave you frustrated and with a tongue coated with an unappealing muddy latakia aftertaste. What a shame.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Dude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dude (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Tasty full lat blend. As others have mentioned very hard to keep lit even after (over) drying out , breaking up more , light or heavy pack.. for me if blend was presented in a different cut perhaps it would be a better experience . Great flavor and lots of smoke but its too much work for me to rate 3 or 4 star . Hard to review as its difficult to smoke.

Pipe Used: pipes reserved for Lat blends

Age When Smoked: 3 year old tin

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (23)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Not the Lat bomb that I have read about, at least not like Ten Russians. I am used to Latakia blends and smoke this type almost exclusively, this one is very good but not really outstanding. The taste will change dramatically (for the good) when allowed to dry before smoking. I have no problem with this in my rotation it is just that I cannot find that one thing that stands out, this may well be it's best character, nothing needs to stand out, just satisfy. Like an old friend you can turn to when you need that comfort feeling.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Latakia is wonderful to smell when you are craving a fuller smoke. You should know that already before opening Odyssey, cause it is very laden with the black beauty. The first bowl left me a little disappointed and confused on what the big deal was. Then I "gave it the air". A week or so in my tobacco drawer was enough for it to dry out some and show me it's magic. Latakia is latakia, no surprises, but the orientals in the back row give it a little sharpness that I didn't notice before airing it out. I find Odyssey to be a solid Balkan after all. Actually, most every Pease blend gets better when it's allowed to air out some. The man knows what he's doing.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

Big English smoke, full on Latakia flavor tempered buy great Orientals, not a complex blend , just a good stout smoke!

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (30)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I am smoking a tin from February 2010. This blend, to me, is full strength Latakia, which I love. The blend lights well, smokes dry, and burns well to the end. This makes it a good blend for me. The strong taste of Latakia, with orientals, makes it a great blend for me. I am not sure that this will be an all day blend, or even an everyday blend for me. It will certainly be a regular blend that I smoke, and I have just ordered several more tins so that I have it available.

Bishop_Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bishop_Pipe (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Room Note 'Unnoticeable' because i can only smoke outside.

This tobacco is the first from G.L.Pease i have tried. Quite a strong latakia tin aroma as expected.

It loads and lights very easily because of it being ready rubbed and doesn't need much if any drying out i find.

From only a couple of bowls i could tell that if one is not a fan of latakia this blend is not for you.

I find myself that the latakia is quite overpowering, a bit too overpowering if i'm honest. Not that this ruins the blend, but i guess i expected a bit more from the red virginias and the perique, i just dont really get them. It seems like they're just subdueing the latakia. The latakia does give it a kick but again i find it overpowering.

I will happily get through the rest of the tin, but unlikely i will be buying another.

Recommend the lovers of latakia but to those who aren't fans, wouldnt bother.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Very nice Balkan. My tin tastes a bit young so i'm going to age it for a year and come back to it and re-review. GLP is the King.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (39)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Alas, we come to it. Six years aging in the sealed tin and just the right moisture at the crack of the seal. I've looked forward to trying Pease's fullest Latakia mixture and full it is, I imagine aging has made it smoother than it would otherwise present fresh from Morganton, N.C.

Heavy indeed with Latakia and other Orientals of an amalgamated sort, and it has that acrid personality exhibited by some massive Lat 'O blends. Odyssey is sweeter than other tinned Latakia mixtures from Pease and Bill Bailey's Best Balkan, though Odyssey is not sweet as say Margate, Bombay Extra, Balkan Supreme, Balkan Sasieni, 1820 and blends in the same genre. "Sweeter than and not as sweet" comparisons should not imply that Odyssey will substitute for standard English mixtures, as Odyssey is not what I would call a sugar fix.

I did want some migration of flavors though, flitting here and there, developing and receding, but that is not Odyssey (nor Abingdon for that matter). More like an explosion followed by seismic waves, the flavors deepen and concentrate rather than throw a change-up to keep the smoker alert to intrigue. Far more interesting than Maltese Falcon, but less so than Samarra, despite the extra flavor of Odyssey.

This might have received higher marks had I not simultaneously been smoking Samovar and Legends. Both do more with the same and keep me lost in wonder amidst nimbus nicotiana.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

There are already enough reviews of this tobacco, but I'll add my two cents anyway:

First, I really like this. But it's hard to know how to describe it. It does not taste like any cigar, but I can see why other reviewers have compared this to a double ligero cigar. It's a full flavored bomb to smoke after a meal, and not in hot weather.

Some reviewers have called this tobacco "too much," and I think I know what they mean. This isn't a nuanced, delicate little blend of wispy flavors. This is, like, the opposite of that.

This is very full-flavored, and there's a lot going on. It's dense, sweet, smoky, savory, and it's all of those things at once. I can see how some might be ovewhelmed or put off by it. I wasn't.

It has a heavy mouthfeel and a thick texture to match its full flavor. I like it, and I might like it a lot, but not everyone will.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)

Just opened a 5 yo tin of this. Assertive Latakia tin aroma - earthy & leathery with a hint of Virginia "ketchup". Needs to air out a bit as it's a bit fussy to light right outta the tin. Latakia is dominant throughout the burn with tantalizing glimpses of the Oriental & Virginia leafs. Not overpowering on the tongue & didn't bite one bit! Wonderful thick, curly billows of creamy smokiness especially towards the bottom of the bowl - great for smoke rings. Definitely an after-dinner/before bed smoke for me as it gave me a good nicotine punch - I smoke mostly VaPers and Orientals. Getting a pound of this for the cellar as my main "English".

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

I think this is a good Balkan blend for Latakia lovers, "I think" because I don?t enjoy blends with Latakia as much as I do with straight Virginia or aromatic, I find they all taste the same (almost), the Latakia dominate the flavor and spoil the nuance and subtlety of Virginia or other.

I noticed that 90% of Pease blends are Latakia based, since I am already highly impressed by BC, I am going to try only the VA and Va/Per from this blender.

Odyssey is 3 stars for me and maybe 4stars for Latakia experts.

Quality stuff!

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I prefer blends with more sweetness. Odissey is a Full-Latakia blend, complex, huge, dark. Sure not every days....but sometimes i like smoke it !

k_pip_k Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k_pip_k (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The blend has a nice mixture of Latakia, and a great taste, if I can keep it lit. Compared to Dunhill's 965, it is more pleasant and tastes better all the way through, again if you can keep it lit. And that is my major beef with this blend.

It would have been stellar, less harsh than 965, with great flavor, but it doesn't burn well. I've tried various pipes and packing methods, but it just doesn't want to stay lit. You can chalk that up to user inexperience or a bad batch I don't know. But I'm going to stay away from this for a while.

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (16)

This is a straight ahead English or Balkan blend, nothing too fancy. I haven't had the problem keeping it lit, don't know what the deal is with that, I guess your mileage may vary? At any rate this is not my favorite English blend, but it is a nice heavy latakia smoke.

Now, having said that, I was monkeying around with some Pease Embarcadero, which I really like a ton, but thought to myself that a little latakia mixed into it might be a good experiment. So I did about half and half Odyssey/Embarcadero. I lit it up and let me tell you, it was transcendent. I don't know what else to say, I think I just smoked the best pipe of tobacco I've ever had, and I've been smoking pipes for a while.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I find this blend OK, nothing more. I am sorry but i do not like blends that are overdone in the Latakia or Perique departments. I respect the views of people that like it and those that do not.

We as Pipers are privileged indeed to be able to enjoy what we do and this site really makes things a bit easier when one wants to try new blends.

I would like to thank all the reviewers and everyone else that keeps this going.

Mo,South Africa

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Having read the reviews on Odyssey, I thought I'd give it a whirl. My reason is I've been terribly loyal to Dunhill, but my prudent reserves are no longer prudent nor considered reserves. Odyssey is one fine English/Balkan blend- really wonderful. From Pease's description it is a full flavored blend. OK, I'm up for it. For the implement I reamed and cleaned an old and loyal Comoy Prince with a bowl, wide like a pot. Though full and spicy, for me it is the Virginia sweetness that makes this blend so lovely. Please note the sweetness is not contrived, and never got on my nerves. The smoke is thick like heavy cream. If you're looking for an English tobacco of magnificent depth try this blend now. Each subsequent bowl has gotten better and better. And yet, with the Comoy being wide-mouthed and the tobacco cut so coarse, lighting and smoking was a breeze, contrary to several posts. Go figure? Enjoy another fine tobacco, and check out its wow factor.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

This used to be my favorite Pease blend, until I tried Westminster, which is now not only my favorite Pease, but my favorite English ever.

The taste and quality of Odyssey is extremely good, and it´s mineral, earthy taste is unsurpassable, but I agree, however, with gorealestate that it is VERY DIFFICULT to keep lit. At first I thought it was due to a personal lack of skill, so I took it to a Pipe Club meeting where there were many expert smokers, even contest winning ones, and even they had great difficulties with Odyssey.

This was such an annoying drawback that I stopped smoking it after managing to finish the second tin. Nevertheless, if you are very patient and don´t have problems with wasting whole bottles of butane gas, you have to try this mixture.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is simply too hard to keep lit even after extensive drying, and too many hits with the flame results in steam gurgles.

It is not for the faint of heart and if you are not an experienced Balkan or English smoker, then please use prudence. There is some nutty tea-like Orientals and very heavy with the the Latakia.

Generally, I find Pease's offerings overrated and they don't deliver. Carole Burns at Pipeworks & Wilke now that's quality.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)

This blend has obviously been reviewed a great deal so I will not linger long. It is indeed difficult to keep lit and that would be the only real downside. It is dark and delicious and definitely worth a try for the latakia lover. There is a subtle soapy undertone but nothing to interfere with enjoyment.

UPDATE 5-01-13: This blend did not hold up for me and I must remove a star.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

Tried a tin of some fresh Odyssey and wasn't impressed.

At the Chicago pipe show, a few buddies and I pitched in and bought a five-year old tin, curious to see what aging does to a blend.

Lord, it does a lot!

The latakia mellows out some and smells a bit musty (in a good way). When this aged tin is gone, I'll be a sad man. Makes one wonder what five years in a tin would do to Ashbury, Charing Cross, or Westminster. (I'm going to Iwan Ries to buy some tins so that I can find out what six months or so does to them!)

Recommended in its standard form, but if you age it some, highly, highly recommended!

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I really wasnt all that fond of this blend. I smoked it a couple of times over a few days and there was something in it I wasnt too keen about. I think it may have been the amount of Latakia. I dont like Latakia anyway. It was a little like Fog Morton On the Town, only stronger. My wife didnt like the smell much. She said it smelled like damp wood burning. I will try this blend later to see if my tastes change, but I dont believe it is for the new smoker.