From Gregory Pease: In 2001, I had the honor and pleasure of collaborating with G.H. & Co.'s John Gawith on a very special tobacco, and after nearly a year of development, Stonehenge Flake, a modern VA/Perique blend steeped in English tradition, was born.

Fine Virginias are layered with Louisiana Perique, and just a touch of Burley for added body and a fuller flavor, then steamed, hot-pressed, and matured. The cakes are thinly sliced and tinned, ready for your smoking pleasure — today, and for many years to come.

Notes: Stonehenge Flake was produced in December 2001 in a very limited edition of approximately 1500 2oz tins.

Previous notes: Stonehenge Flake is a wonderful traditional flake comprised of bright flue-cured and sun-cured leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe, and Malawi, with just a touch of Malawi Burley added for a bit of body, and a slightly fuller flavor. Then, we added a hint of genuine St. James Parish Perique, for its special piquant contribution. Once blended, the leaf was steamed, hot-pressed into blocks, and aged, to allow the flavors to meld and marry. The mature blocks were sliced into thin flakes, and cut into 2" lengths. This blend was a special limited release and is no longer made.

Stonehenge was re-released into production in Friday, 23rd June 2017. The re-released edition is manufactured by the precise formula and protocol John Gawith and Gregory Pease developed in 2001.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease and John Gawith
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.2

The various Virginias offers a range of flavors: plenty of fermented stewed ripe and tangy dark fruit with a lot of earth, some tart and not tart citrus, and a few grass notes, along with a minor hits of tea and vinegar. They also provide a mild floral quality which is slightly more obvious in the first half than it is later on. They form the major base of the blend. The touch of Malawi burley has some earth, nuts, toast and wood far in the background. The deep raisins, prunes, plum and moderate spice from the Saint James perique continually underscores the experience. The cocoa topping is lightly applied, but works well in concert with the Lakeland-esque additive. These toppings do tone down the varietals a mite, though the Lakeland recedes some in the last third of the bowl, more so than the cocoa, which weakens slightly. No chance of bite or harshness, and sports no dull moments. The nic-hit is a step closer to medium than it is to mild. The flakes are a little moist, but need no dry time. Burns a little slow, and fairly cool with a rather consistent taste that also has a little creaminess. Leaves just a little moisture in the pipe, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant after taste that lingers. Not an all day smoke, but it’s a repeatable one, provided you can find a tin.

As for the new version, I find few differences. The fermentation from the Virginias is barely present, but that was due to the aging process anyway. The Lakeland essence is a tad stronger and the cocoa is a little more more obvious than that, and a bit more prominent than the 2001 version. Again, I attribute this to the age of the original as related to fresh. As with the older production, the Lakeland loses a little of its impact by the last third of your smoke, and the cocoa hardly does (same as the 2001 sample). The only other thing I observe is that the perique is tad less noticeable here, but I’d attribute that to the freshness of the blend because the toppings of the old were muted just a little over time, and their full influence when fresh would naturally reduce the effectiveness of some varietals that are added in small amounts. The Malawi burley is moderately less affected. For the most part, the tobaccos deliver as they did in the past. The bottom line is that the differences are due to the aging process, and not a change in recipe as the variables aren’t quite as obvious as this review makes them seem in cold print.

One of the all-time great tobaccos, IMO. Stonehenge Flake is a deeply dark and rich flake formed leaf that has been specially processed to be bold in presentation and it ages like nobody's business. The Virginia leaf was incomperable, the Kentucky/Burley filled the palate with a nutty goodness and the overall depth of the presentation was almost unbelievable. And the Perique element was so restrained that I never really noticed it as a player. As fine a leaf as was ever put in a can!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I cannot speak to Stonehenge Flake when it was first produced as I had not smoked any at the time of its release. But what I can speak to is that SF aged into one fantastic flake. As a person that finds Pease blends very “hit or miss,” and I have smoked almost all of them, IMHO, this flake was one of Greg's finest achievements. Age has turned this into a sweet, lightly spicy smoke. The neatly cut flakes are very easy to work with and I prefer to cut them into small pieces with a small amount rubbed out to get the ball rolling. At this point in time, I find the sweetness of the Virginia’s rule the day, with the burley providing a bit of body and strength to the blend. I have noticed that the drier smoke Stonehenge, the more the Gawith Hoggarth flavors come out. I was lucky enough to squirrel a half dozen tins away before the current $100+ eBay price that is now fairly common. With just three tins left, I doubt I will miss SF enough to spend that kind of coin for more, but it will be sorely missed all the same. I would sure love to see Greg Pease to do another limited venture with a different company other than C&D like he did here with GH. It think it would open a lot of doors for new mixtures and flakes. Very highly recommended.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A masterpiece. a blending marvel. from the other reviews i get the feeling the cellaring potential was lost on this when it came out. I managed to acquire a large stash of this and boy, am i glad i did. age has done things to this blend that are miraculous. Incredible sweet, getting stronger in taste and body and yet there are these ethereal fruit tastes, apricot, mango,orange. the lakeland essence wisps in and out of the smoke. I can see crystals all over the really thin flakes. the tobacco itself is starting to get that certain feel to it that only age can provide. perfect with Earl grey tea.even better with brandy. The perique, oh the perique! The perique is of the variety that is no longer easily had. how i wish it still was available.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Stonehenge Flake is a very limited edition of approximately 1500 2oz tins, developed jointly by G. L. Pease and Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. that completely sold out...practically within hours of its release.

I recently bought a tin and, collector?s value tossed aside, I anxiously popped the top to try it. The tin is dated Dec 2001 ? it is now July 2004.

The aroma was semi-sweet with some slightly tangy undertones. The flakes are dark with some brighter reddish-brown highlights. Looking closely, I can see traces of crystallized sugars on the surface of the flakes. It was a bit on the moist side for my tastes, but once I rubbed it out, it only took another 10 minutes or so for it to dry to where I like it. Or maybe I was just so anxious, I decided I liked it the way it was after 10 minutes. Who knows?

I rubbed the flakes out completely and got ready for the big test. The flame hit the leaf, and a mild sense of panic hit me. I detected the trademark Gawith Hoggarth floral-soap taste. Oh no? I thought of what I paid for this? This couldn?t be happening. I thought of the only other Gawith Hoggarth blend I had tried ? Bob?s Chocolate Flake. Oh no? But then I remembered all of the pleasant experiences I have had with tobaccos carrying the name Pease, and I settled down a bit as the soapy taste receded. It never left entirely, but it stayed so far in the background that I found I could enjoy the tobacco. And enjoy it, I did.

The natural sweetness blends exceedingly well with the Perique in this blend. The Burley forms a solid foundation and holds up the lower end giving body to the smoke, while the sweetness and the Perique dance around.

Overall, a very pleasant smoke. The burn is nice and even, and the balance is sublime.

Stonehenge Flake isn?t easy to find, and those who have it aren?t going to part with it easily, but if it is within your means, get some. I will of course give this a 4-Star rating, but as it has been said here, to say that this is something I will smoke regularly is wishful thinking on my part. There can?t be that much of it left out there!

Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Description: Flakes are very thin cut, perhaps a millimeter or slightly more thick. Mottled dark brown and medium in color. Overly wet when first received, but dried rapidly in a sealed, but loose baggie, and smoked well as received as well as when drier. For those of you who are amused by watching flakes attempt to levitate out of the bowl when first lighting, this one is quite a performer.

I smoked a three bowl sample that I received from one of the princes in the online pipe community. I prepared this by completely rubbing it out. A Savinelli pot that I have used for VA and VA/Perique flakes for some time was the venue. Initial light displayed perfume qualities similar to most Lakeland tobaccos. Overall flavor was very good with a high level of sweetness, no nasal burn, and very full flavor through the middle and lower registers of the palate, augmented by the spiciness of the perique. This is the best flake that I have ever smoked, with an incredible depth to the flavor that is only now becoming noticeable in most VAs for me.

I recently traded away two tins of this for an F&P release that is out of production, and suspect that I may come to regret the departure over time, although not the trade. I understand that the limited release of this blend was due to the small allotment of Percy Martin perique available for the blend. While never stated by the blender, this of course leaves open the hopeful, optimistic, fantastic, or even delusional possibility of subsequent releases in the future.

In the meantime, a rating of 4 stars must be interpreted as wishful thinking rather than actual practice due to limited availability.

(October 2002)

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (208)

A few of the other reviewers have already expressed my sentiments here. I also found this flake to be fairly similar to Gawith Hoggarth's Louisiana Flake. There's one minor difference and that's the addition of the Malawi burley leaf which adds a touch of richness that Louisiana doesn't possess.

From charring light to finish, the Lakeland floral note is noticeable but it is not as singular or as distinct in character as it is in tobaccos like Ennerdale, Kendal or Grasmere Flake, nor is it as strong. Instead, I would put Stonehenge Flake in the family of mildly scented Kendal tobacco products, more along the lines of Best Brown No. 2, Rum and Bob's Chocolate Flake.

As far as the overall flavor is concerned, the darker, slightly sweet tasting Virginias do most of the work while the burley adds depth and a bit of strength to the smoke. I find the perique to be purely condimental, adding a subtle influence but never finding its own voice in the mix whether by way of peppery spice or dark fruit tang.

Like Louisiana Flake, I find the effect of the cocoa flavoring to be a detractor. It smells fantastic in the tin, but it adds a dissonant, unappealing taste to the smoke that registers on my palate as mildly irritating, almost harsh. Reading other reviews I seem to be the only one finding fault with this, so it's very likely a body chemistry thing.

As usual this is high quality tobacco, meticulously prepared by one of my favorite blending houses, and I am happy to have tried it. But this particular flake just isn't my cup of tea.

wildrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wildrage (6)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Lakeland overpowers this entire blend to me. Some people love Lakeland, while others do not. Just like some love aeromatics, and others do not. To each his own, but I do not enjoy them, and likewise, do not enjoy this blend. To my friend that posted "I do tire of newbie reviews..." - I notice that you spammed that review among all the tobacco sites. Either your work for the manufacturer, or you really should learn to be more creative. While I realize that this is a G&H collaborated blend, #1 - all descriptions of such blends note the Lakeland essence, #2 - No descriptions of this blend note similar essence, #3 - this is a collaboration, so I don't feel that it's too offbase to not expect it, and #4 - I personally feel that it has been left out to spur sales.

Pipe Used: Briar, Cob, Meer

Similar Blends: Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Dark Bird's Eye.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Yeah, I say that I smoke this regularly, but we all know THAT is a lie. I smoke this on special occassions, because there ain't no more. At least not in this current iteration. There is a strong rumor that Greg may bring it back again in a slightly different form.

Stonehenge is the perfect tobacco from my standpoint. I enjoy everything about it and I wouldn't change anything about it other than its availability.

Exceptional taste at all points in the bowl. It smells great in the room. It is heaven to nose breath this stuff.

I have six tins of this stuff stored away for special occassions. It's a cruel joke that it isn't readily available! Of course, I would have to fall in love with a blend that lasted about one day on the retail market.

pipercavse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipercavse (5)

I do tire of newbie pipers giving a review of pipe tobacco when they don't have a clue as to what they are speaking of. If you did your homework and checked a tobacco out by knowledgeable pipers you might save yourself some embarrassment by spewing out meaningless blather about a fine pipe tobacco. First of all, to think this would not have some of the Lakeland essence when John Gawith had a hand in it shows a severe lack of discernment. That is what Gawith pipe tobacco is all about, the wonderful Lakeland floral essence. This essence seems to be either loved or loathed and I am in the former camp. Here it was done with a very light hand. But to say this smells like a nursing home or an old woman's perfume is insane! What I get from the tin note is wonderful chocolate floral hay like notes. It is beautiful pipe tobacco, don't let uninformed pipers drive you away from it. It's great stuff from the minds of two master blenders and is reserved for pipers who appreciate the finer things in the vast and glorious world of pipe tobacco!

To my dear friend wild rage: I am not a spammer and no I do not have any association with the manufacturer. Furthermore, my intent was not to be creative, only to stress a point. All of which I commend you for giving a perfect example of. Your point of reference, Dark Birdseye has no mention of the G&H essence in it as is the case with most of the G&H descriptions as you testify in error that they do. However, at the top of this page part of the description for this tobacco states that it is steeped in the English tradition (aka Lakeland essence). Anyone who knows anything about pipe tobacco would and should know that, hence my reference to newbie ignorance. Lastly, Mr. Pease needs no deceptive gimmicks to boost sales. He is a master blender who's ability sells his product on it's own merit.

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (19)

From a freshly opened tin you are greeted with hay/bread/malty notes with a rich chocolate nose. Once you rub the flake and give it about 5-10 minutes of dry time it's ready to go. I fully rub the flake very well to aid in burning and dry time. Gawith Hoggarth made their Louisiana Perique Flake after this blend was originally made through collaboration with John Gawith and Gregory Pease in 2001, so it seems of little surprise that these are nearly identical. The Stonehenge Flake contains a little Malawi burley that helps give body and depth with a bit more strength to the smoke, and helps add more chocolate note. A very great tobacco, you'll get brown VA flavor, a bit of Perique, and a chocolate note to pull it together. Truly a Gawith Hoggarth English style VaPer that will age wonderfully. I did get the chance to smoke the original, and I had a very aged sample that tasted nothing like this re-release. The original used Percy Martin's Perique and added a different profile.

Note: This is virtually the same tobacco as GH & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake. It was first a G.L. Pease and Gawith Hoggarth collaboration as Stonehenge Flake, then GH based off this glowing release decided to make their own version called Louisiana Perique Flake and it's virtually identical but missing the smidge of Malawi burley that this re-release contains. These tins will age wonderfully.

Pipe Used: Falcon, Savinelli 904KS, other briars

Age When Smoked: Brand new fresh release

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake is identical..

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

The re-release of the venerable Stonehenge Flake was long overdue, yet it seemed to happen at the perfect moment. This beautiful blend offers an exquisite balance of sweet and savory Virginias, nutty and rich Burley, and tangy and spicy Perique. Stonehenge Flake offers the fortunate smoker a medium-bodied, full-flavored experience. Take your time, and enjoy each sip.

I am pleased to submit the first review of the re-release here.

Pipe Used: 1976 Dunhill 59HU Root Briar

Age When Smoked: Original re-release, received 6-26-2017

Similar Blends: The original Stonehenge Flake. Ha.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

Sampled from a 2001 vintage tin. Tiny surgar crystals sparkled in the sunlight. Nice preperation of the dark, thin flakes which were easy to prepare. This tastes/smokes nothing like you'd expect from the tin aroma. Shades of Lakeland style flavoring that seems to compliment & enhance the sweetness of the mixture. This stuff really starts producing a good flavor after a fourth of it has burned off when the initial harshness begins to fade into a mild, savory smoke. So, give this one a chance and don't judge the book by its cover.

Easily rubbed out or folded, it smokes cool either way. Plenty of rich, creamy smoke with respectable strength. I loved this flavor, whatever it is. I don't notice the soapy flavor so much that some have mentioned but I surely notice an alluring flavor from the smoke...but that's just me. This blend reminded me a little of St. Bruno Flake, only not as strong. The combination of top shelf leaf is expertly blended, smells good, burns great, smokes mild & sweet, requires minor maintenance & produces minimal moisture.

The flavor remains throughout the bowl and doesn't get harsh or bitter toward the end. Drying it out pretty good will provide a better smoke and doing so doesn't diminish the flavor. One of the best of this genre that I've ever smoked. This blend kept me coming back for more. I suggest airing this out until the sharpness from the aroma subsides...as should be done with any tobacco that has been enclosed for a long period. Be careful because the thin flakes dry out quickly if the tin is left open too long.

This stuff commands a premium & has already become legendary. So, try to reward yourself with at least one tin. Truly remarkable. Therefore, IMHO, SF easily obtains a four star rating for an expertly crafted masterpiece. Sampled in a size two Dunny Shell Briar & a size 2 Stanwell...

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

G. L. Pease - Stonehenge Flake.

I've had this in my cellar for a while now, everytime I went to it I just couldn't bring myself to open it! But this weekend temptation got the better of me.

The tin contains just one stack of flakes, which are dark brown and quite thin. The nose from the tin is a tangy one and the moisture makes it smokeable right away.

At the start of a bowl the most abundant of the tobaccos are the Virginias, being sweet, tangy, and fruity. The Burley wakes up as a bowl's smoked and gives the smoke a clear nuttiness. Throughout a bowl the Perique occupies last place, giving just a very light touch of vinegar. The chocolate topping isn't 'strong', don't think of Bob's Chocolate Flake, think more along the lines of Louisiana Flake. It burns well at a medium temperature and doesn't bite.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Stonehenge Flake? Four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Barling Meer'

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (108)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I have to say, I was hot to get my hands on some Stonehenge, if only because of its provenance. However, as with most GLP offerings I have tried, it took some time and some effort to finally get the best of this blend. The reviewed tin is new production, dated 06-20-2017. I never tried the original release, but I do have some G & H Louisiana Flake to compare, as this is supposed to be either the same or nearly the same blend, and I am curious to see just how similar they are.

In the tin, this Stonehenge is disheveled, moist, heaped, broken flakes that are dark brown with some lighter flecks. Tin note is subdued, damp, moldering silage with a little fig, molasses and dark cocoa. And that is pretty much that; nothing that presaged greatness. Straight from the tin, it lights with persistence and it burns down OK with some attention, including a couple of re-lights. Given its origins, I was not surprised by the Lakeland geranium smell that came up at the first match, but I was surprised by how strongly it came up, to the point where it nearly swamped the tobacco, and I resolved to dry it out some before smoking it thereafter. As it turns out, it benefitted from some rest, and spindling it and drying it first tempers the geranium and allows Stonehenge to really bloom in the small pots I use for VA/Pers. Naturally, I much prefer smoking it this way, and my recommendation is based on some rest and drying it first. Though the steam pressing seems to have melded the VAs and Perique in Stonehenge, and they rise together, they do unfold and some generally floral notes soon appear to grace what I take to be earthy, brown VAs and a little Burley that tastes like filberts. The silage and figs remain, only now they are actually fragrant and faintly musky, almost cigar-ish. The spices from the Perique are there, but they are tame, and they never rear up or bite, being in this regard reminiscent of Dunbar. The tastes ramp up gently to medium, and they develop quite nicely down the bowl. Strength is just over medium. Room note is tolerable. Aftertaste is a lengthy best-of-the-smoke.

Yes, there are already plenty of great VA/Pers that are currently available, including GLP’s own Telegraph Hill. Yet Stonehenge holds its own, IMO, a solid 4 star blend that will likely get even better with age.

Pipe Used: various briars; small pots preferred

Age When Smoked: young, with just a little rest

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to Telegraph Hill, Escudo, DNR, Dunbar, etc..

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Just a muddled mess and a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT! Nothing goes together. And the Lakelands only add to the disorder. Probably not worth the effort to bury what's remaining.

Maybe I need to wait for the re-re-release!

APCook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
APCook (1)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been self conscious about posting reviews, so have not created any until now. Here it goes..... I have to post a review on the new release of Stonehenge Flake because I find this to be a lovely tobacco, certainly a new favorite. As an appreciator of VaPer, it meets the needs of that category. As someone who enjoys good aged burley, I get a nice bit of that. The tin note has a touch of dark cocoa powder, but not enough for me to say it will be a chocolatey smoke. I get a nice note of nut and stewed fruit. I do not smell any Lakeland upon opening. It breaks up and packs easily with only a few minutes of added dry time. Once lit, I understand where the Lakeland comments come from. However, it is very light and adds a certain "antique" quality to the smoke, and accentuates the quality Virginia and Burley. I do not think it is overwhelming, and it has not ghosted my pipes (though I have smoked other blends between each bowl). I am not a fan of aromatics, and I do not consider this to be one. I did find that in a wider bowl, the note of Lakeland was less perceptible (nearly nonexistent). The burn is nice when rubbed out completely (I will try some fold and stuff on my next tin). It leaves no moisture or residue in my pipes when smoked slowly, and grey ash is all that remains. The strength starts to pick up in the second half of the bowl, so don't take its light start for granted. I thoroughly enjoy this blend, and find myself smiling throughout the entire experience. I will be stocking up, and am ever more enthused to track down an original tin if I can afford to. I can't wait to taste it aged.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Gresh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gresh (9)
Medium Medium Full Strong

This stuff is gross. Whoevers idea it was to leave lakeland out of the description, or to say it tastes of "chocolate"(it doesnt) owes me 15 bucks.

Similar Blends: Nursing home, Old mans balls, Morgue.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (176)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've smoked a few bowls of this since it arrived. As many have said, this is almost identical to Louisiana Perique Flake. However, it's the other was around. If you do some research, you will see that Stonehenge came out BEFORE Louisiana Flake. So consider LF to be a copy of Stonehenge. It also reminds me somewhat of Bob's Chocolate flake, minus the 8% Latakia. It has that BCF chocolate flake aroma when opening the tin. Either way, there is no doubt that this is a G&H blend by the aroma As long as this blend is dried a bit, and sipped slowly, it is a wonderful blend indeed! This blend burns well, stays consistent throughout the entire bowl. Towards the end, the Perique is a bit more evident, but doesn't overpower by any means. This is going to be a great morning blend with coffee and cream, and will probably take the place of my morning cigar.

Age When Smoked: 10 days old

Similar Blends: G&H Louisiana Perique flake.

Mike660 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike660 (5)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

(2017 re-release smoked four days after release) Grassy sweet Virginia, spiced perique, and a hint of nutty burley make up this blend. This is a slow burning tobacco. My bet is it would cause bite if puffed to hard. Just grab a tin, and sit back and relax.

Pipe Used: Clay

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark colored very thin flakes with a tin aroma of a light Lakeland blend, and very earthy undertones. I struggled with folding, so ended up rubbing this out a bit. I actually tried different levels of rubbing out and settled on a light rub.

Unfortunately, no prep took away a seriously vexing problem I had with this blend. It sizzled my tongue from start to finish. It wasn't an all-out burning assault but it was most unpleasant. As a smoker of many aged Pease and aged G&H blends, I have no real idea what caused this disconnect. Clearly, this didn't require further aging! But it detracted from what could have been a pleasant experience, because the taste of this (what I could discern) was what I expected... a marriage of a light Lakeland essence with it's attendant burly sweetness a la G&H, with the robustness and full flavor of a Pease creation. Two of my favorite blenders - what could go wrong? A chemical imbalance with my palate, I guess. Talk about disappointment!

As I seem to be the only one with this issue, I can definitely recommend that G&H and Pease lovers give this a try if they find a tin reasonably priced. As someone who rates based on personal experience, however, this merits 2 stars. Great tasting but that tongue sizzle ruined it for me. My problem rather than the blend, so if this union interests you, by all means check it out.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A delicious flake , with a little perique and an interesting topping . The flavoring is very light and craftily blended in with the other aromas . My biggest surprise was the first puff and the light soapy aroma common to the "lakeland" tobacco's . This quietly retreated to the background after the first few puffs .

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

The first thing I noticed when opening the tin was a spicy smell and a very moist flake. I had to let it air dry for a while before I could get a good light out of it. This has a very soapy taste at first that seems to subside slightly about midway through the bowl. I can?t seem to get past this. I?m not much of a flake smoker (they burn a little hot for me) but I love all of the GPL blends. I purchased 3 tins of this, one to try now and two to cellar. I?ll let the opened tin dry a little, go back to it later and see if the soapy taste is as dominant, and update this review. Until then I will stick with BC and Haddo?s

Circle H Brothers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Circle H Brothers (8)

This is for the current version of Stonehenge, not the one released in 2001.

This blend seems to be a "love it or hate it" type of blend. I have enjoyed most of Pease's blends (with the exception of Chelsea Morning of which I am in the minority), so when I was in Alexandria, VA I found a couple of tins of Stonehenge sitting on the shelf of a cool pipe/cigar shop down on King's Street called John Crouch Tobacconist (a very cool place with great people) and decided to give it a whirl.

Let me start out saying that I do not have that much experience with Lakeland-style blends. I do enjoy Samuel Gawith's St James Flake and Full Virginia Flake, but from what I can tell there is not much (if any) "Lakeland Essence" in those blends. So I did not know what to expect from Stonehenge, but I was willing to try it as I was looking for a different type of Va/Per blend to add in to my rotation.

The tin note is very nice. The Virginias give off a nice sweet aroma, and the figiness from the Perique is evident. But the main note coming off of the tin is the cocoa essence that has been added. It smells like a freshly opened box of Cocoa Puffs cereal. Very interesting and not off-putting, just different than what I'm used to because I don't really smoke blends that have a noticeable topping to them. The Lakeland essence that everyone talks about was there, but it was very subdued.

The flakes themselves are fairly uniform, but they can become broken flakes very easily if the tin is shaken up a lot. One flake is just about perfect to fill a medium-sized bowl and offers up about a 45-60 minute smoke depending on the pack and the cadence. I have used the fold-and-stuff method as well as rubbing the flakes out and lightly packing the bowl. I prefer the rubbing out method as I get a better pack and more flavor, but YMMV.

The moisture content is a little wet when the tin is first opened, so I open the tin and leave the flakes in the tin for a couple of weeks and then transfer to a jar when it has reached the moisture level that I like. Otherwise, you'll need to dry the flakes before packing as it can get a little steamy if smoked straight from the tin.

The mechanics of the tobacco are great once the moisture level is right. It takes the charring light very well and lights up very nicely. Only the occasional relight towards the bottom of the bowl is needed for me.

Now, for the important part. How does it taste? I personally love this blend. The tobacco itself is very high quality and is loaded with flavor. It is as balanced as just about any other Va/Per that I have tried and the little touch of Burley adds just the hint of nuttiness and body. The Virginias are nice and sweet and go back and forth between bright high notes and the more rich, stewed flavors. The Perique is there with some spice (pepper) and pruney flavors, but it doesn't hit you over the head. As far as the topping is conerned, the cocoa is extremely subtle and is sometimes nonexistent, and the Lakeland essence is very light for most of the bowl. I will occasionally get to a spot where the Lakeland flavor is much more pronounced and when I do, it is a light floral flavor that is not at all off-putting to me. In fact, I kind of look forward to those instances as it breaks up the flavor of the bowl and has a kind of palate-cleansing effect for me. I can see where some people who are either not used to that flavor, or just down right hate it would find it offensive, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me.

All in all, this has become my go-to Va/Per blend and I smoke it almost daily. I am now on my third tin and I have several more in the cellar. I cannot wait to see how this blend tastes when it has some age on it. If you are hesitant to try it because of the Lakeland flavoring, just know that it is very mild and not off-putting, but if you absolutely abhor that flavor then you might want to look elsewhere. I really enjoy this and see it as a major player in my rotation for years to come.

Happy Puffing!

Pipe Used: Various Briars

Age When Smoked: New from Tin

Purchased From: John Crouch & Smokingpipes.com

Grumpy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grumpy (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I got a tin of Stonehenge just to see what all the hype was about. I find it to be a very nice tobacco. But not one I'd have on my reorder list. I prefer another similar flake, GH&Co. Louisiana Perique flake, it being a bit stronger in flavor to me. Unfortunately I didn't know about it in 2001. I don't 'Cellar" tobacco, I smoke it now while I can. :P

Pipe Used: Peterson Silver Mounted Army (01) Fishtail

Similar Blends: Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Louisiana Perique Flake.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (166)

Very nice, very nice indeed.

Thin flakes easy to rub out. I did not find it too moist from the get-go. Nice chocolate smell in tin.

No bite, stayed lit o.k., but needed some re-lights too. Not gunky.

Flavor is heavier and more noticeable than GH's Louisiana Perique Flake, though obviously based on a similar formula. Not the same though, as latter is lighter or blander but cheaper in bulk.

Slow burning of course. Now for the taste.

Some added body (the burley? Some 6%+ perique?) with a mild chocolate or cocoa after taste. Pleasant. I did not notice much, if any Lakeland perfume or flowers, but batches may differ. Many differ. I think psychology may play a factor here, but I do enjoy some of the lighter ones. This blend is not that to me.

Overall, not the golden fleece, but a very nice, dependable flake, with tasty and high quality G&H aged leaf. Repeatable in the day. Most satisfying. I'm glad I bought a reasonable batch of tins. One tin down now.

Pipe Used: older Ashton XX (cutty) and XXX (bulldog)

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: G&H Louisiana Perique Flake but not so much Bob's; SG Mayor's Chocolate Flake.

drbarryk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drbarryk (4)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

If there's a worse tasting tobacco, I haven't found it....

I knew about Lakeland Essences, but I wasn't prepared for a "we're gonna wash your mouth out with soap and then spray cheap perfume in it" experience. Wow! Aghhh!!

I enjoy Royal Yatch, HH Vintage Syrian, JackKnife Plug, Gaslight, Nightcap, Viprati, HH Bold Kentucky, Escudo....all part of a wide variety of Vapers, VaBurPers, Straight Virginias, English/Balkans, Dark Fired KYs on my shelf and in my cellar - nothing in my worst imaginings prepared me for how truly unappealing (read awful) a pipe tobacco could be.

I'm about to reload the Vauen Churchwarden in which I smoked the GLP Stonehenge Flake with my favorite VaPer (technically VaBurPer) - H & H Viprati - in hopes of disinfecting my mouth and pipe, recovering my pipe equilibrium,and wiping out any possible ghosting. Fortunately, it only took 15 minutes to realize Stonehenge wasn't for me.

I appreciate our great variations in taste and am delighted others can enjoy this blend.

Pipe Used: Vauen N177 Churchwarden

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Happily, nothing I've tasted.

riobrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riobrew (34)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I'm not going to repeat what has been said. But what I will add is the is a strong smoke that if not respected will sneak up on you. So very well blended that you do not notice until it's there. Well done Mr Pease, very well done.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (62)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A quite flavourful, dark mixture, tangy at times. I generally dislike artificially flavoured pipe tobaccos. This one is supposed to contain cocoa and chocolate, but I cannot find it. There is definitely abundant artificial flavour around, but I cannot identify it. I find, it covers up a lot of the natural tobacco flavours. Not my cup of tea. If you like Aromatics it might me for you.

Purchased From: Synjecco's Pipe Smoker's Haven, Brissago/Switzerland

CarlosGardel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CarlosGardel (15)

As a regular, almost daily, consumer of GH Louisiana Flake, I am quite surprised that some consider it interchangeable with Stonehenge. To my tasting they are not even similar. Louisiana Flake: round, sweet, chocolatey, spicy. Stonehenge: complex, less sweet, only slightly chocolatey, dominant notes of hay or of fermenting leaves in Autumn. Also, the Lakeland notes in Stonehenge are very light. I wonder wether in a blind test many would be able to identify them. That being said, this blend is a masterpiece. I have been given a 2017 tin by a friend a week ago and I have been smoking nothing else, apart from Louisiana Flake and Sixpence for the sake of comparing them. I have little experience with GLP blends, and I am surprised with their complexity and balance.

Pipe Used: Many Capt. Warren and Calabash.

Age When Smoked: Weeks.

grimstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimstuff (14)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Wow! Sweaty gym socks, dried in the sun, then burned in a fire. That's what this smells and tastes like. Has a full mouthfeel, stays lit fine, all the usual technical things are fine. But man, does it have a nasty smell and taste to me.

Smoking_Strider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking_Strider (4)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I got this for a pretty penny, but worth wild giving up that penny was. Upon opening the tin I could feel the air that was trapped for 15 years burst out and hit my hand. After taking a big whiff I was assured that this was going to be worth the hype and then some. The tin note is nothing short of the smell of heaven. A very earthy chocolate, a strong fruit note, very nutty and a hint of cocoa. If you ever get the privilege to try this, ALWAYS rub it out. I found it had a perfect moisture level upon opening. It was hard to get that first initial light but was really smooth sailing after that! When I smoke this its kind of hard to really pinpoint a specific taste. What really comes into mind to me is "Sunflowers" not really sure why, but my god is this sweet! One of the sweetest blends I have ever smoked. That would be the fermented sugar crystals that formed all over the tobacco. Shine a flashlight at it and watch it light up and sparkle like the sun beaming down on fresh snow. Though that is its one down side, smoking this slowly with restraint or your bowl might catch fire! Before I tried this I heard from a lot of people saying this is very similar to Old dark fired, and after trying the two I really have to agree, with Stonehenge obviously being much sweeter.

Age When Smoked: 15 years exact

Similar Blends: Old Dark Fired.

FreePancakesForAll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FreePancakesForAll (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Original Release: 4 Stars Current Release: 3 Stars (for now...)

The tin note was perfect for my tastes. Essentially like a bag of Brown Flake Unscented (my personal favorite) but with a touch more cocoa. What's not to like about that? Natural tobacco + cocoa = something good. Like all GH&Co manufactured flakes, this rubs out, packs, and smokes great. A very traditional Gawith flake.

Lakeland: I'm not getting much of it, if any. About the same amount as the Unscented or Best Brown. The best way to describe it is the cliche "there's enough in the blend to know it's made in the Gawith factory". But I'm not picking up the soapy Kendal at all.

How does it compare to the original release? Its young. I'm fortunate to have a few tins of the early 2000's release on hand and could compare. The original has been aging for 15 years so it's not exactly a fair fight. It's kind of a different fight altogether if you ask me. The original run has more stewed dark fruits and is incredibly smooth. The new blend is cocoa forward and has the stewed fruit as a very minor note that has to be pulled out in the retrohale along with a bit of peppery spice.

Overall I'm very happy. Not going to be a regular or all day for me. That'll remain the Brown Flake Unscented for now or Kendal Plug. But I'm incredibly excited to see how this smokes in 5 years.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Cumberland

Similar Blends: Brown Flake Unscented.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (168)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I will agree with most of the good reviews before me. This is a wonderful flake tobacco. I am not a big fan of straight Virginia flakes. This is nice in that it has a little burley in it. I cannot taste much of the topping, there should be more in my opinion. My only con is I think it burns a little hot.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with the reviewers that affirm that Stonehenge Flake does not have much in common with G & H's Louisiana Flake. This is simply because the addition of Burley makes SF a very different beast. Thank God for that; as where Louisiana Flake left me indifferent by its blandness, SF does not. The typical Kendal scent being very subtle, this G & H co-creation will be accessible to those who fear it. The chocolate topping, while being also subtle, remarkably completes and enhances the tobacco. As I work my way through every pipeful, the chocolate becomes a tad more noticeable, making the smoking experience creamier and creamier. SF is quite an achievement for all Virginia/Burley fans.

KrzysD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KrzysD (19)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an interesting blend. Stonehenge is my first experience with a Lakeland style tobacco, I pick up what I can only describe as a lite wild flower potpourri which traditional of a Lakeland but then you get the coca that I think is the spin he put on it. Over all I like it and think I might have to explore further into the genre

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (122)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Stonehenge Flake is a very interesting take on a VA/Per. I am all over the map with the addition of "essence" to my tobacco's, and any flavoring for that matter. Let's just call it highly discriminating. It took me awhile to weigh in on this one. The tin note is, well, Cocoa Puffs (US chocolate kids breakfast cereal). I do get some grass and hay notes but once my memory rung cocoa puff's that is all I can smell. I like it, but it is odd from a mason jar bull of loosely packed flakes of tobacco. This tobacco needs some drying time and I have experimented with damp to dry (not cripy), and dry seems to be the best for me. I also find that it is best with an air pocket pack but does well with the 3 pinch method if I use the breath method of smoking. It can get hot and tend to bite if you puff too fast. For a VA/Per blend this is a bit light on Perique for me or maybe the added essence masks the flavors for me, even the trademark sting on the retrohale is barely noticeable. The flavor profile is very interesting. There is always the hint of chocolate, but almost barely noticeable. I found coffee to be the best beverage with this and it helps me taste the bready and slightly grassy Virginia's. Toasty burley comes out in this (and I have a hard time tasting burley in general in a blend). There is a citrusy flavor, subtle, that goes from lemony to grapefruit and back again. I also get a leathery, earthy flavor that is hard to pin down but I like very much. Due to the temperamental nature of the blend and my desire for more perique, I give it 2.5 stars, but I could see this ranked higher by others. A very enjoyable smoke.

Pipe Used: Briar, meerschaum and cobs

Age When Smoked: <1year

Purchased From: B&M

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (155)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A somewhat disappointing blend I have to say. I never had the original but the new release is a semi aromatic (reminds me of Hyde Park, that Gawith Hoggarth makes for peterson). The cocoa is not all that mild. In fact it obscures a lot of the Virginia taste so what you have, really, is a very good and stronger version of Carter Hall. That said, its very tasty and the nic hit is almost medium. Its just that it isnt really as good as what Gawith does when they add casings. Let alone the G&H lakeland flakes and plugs. If you go this route why not smoke Rum Flake or Bosun Cut Plug. 2 and a half stars.

Purchased From: 4noggins

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)

Tin Note- brown sugar, dried fruit, and black tea

Packs well, I used a partially rubbed out twist method

First Light- paper, almond, and a hint of cocoa

Mid bowl- cedar and a hint of maple

Perique is present, but the VAs are the star attraction.

Bottom half- more and more citrus, a hint of spice, cinnamon gradually morphing to pepper and a hint of stewed peaches.

Overall a delightful smoke!

Pipe Used: Zastruga Nosewarmer from Nate King

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

For me, the way to think of this is not just in relation to GH's Louisiana Flake but also with their Scotch Flake. For Louisiana Flake, add a bit more cacao flavoring and the earthy Burley; for Scotch Flake, subtract most if not all the Vanilla and a bit of the cacao and add the Perique. If you don't like either, you will likely not enjoy this. If you like both, this may be a great smoke for you. It currently is for me; it will be interesting to see how it develops (the tin this review was based on was dated less than a month before I opened it).

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: 1 month after release

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: midway between GH's Louisiana Flake & Scotch Flake.

Review revised November, 2002. I was the recipient of a generous 3-pipe sample of this very-limited-edition tobacco at a pipe show, and was entranced by the idea of a GLP/Gawith combo, with Perique. After an uncharacteristic one bowl and a boatload of preconceptions, I declared this tobacco to be heaven-sent.

A few months later, I read that some ASPers don't think this stuff is so great. Impossible! So, I smoked another bowl, then my last bowl. Darn it, they're right. Stonehenge tastes like a subdued, slightly flat, GH Brown Flake. Nothing bad about it, just less good in most respects than BF. The Perique doesn't seem to work well either. Now, I'm obviously no Greg Pease, but this tendency of two good things creating one diminished thing is the usual result when I try to blend two tobaccos that I like (aromatic with McClelland VA, or FVF with Bright CR Flake, or so many other haphazard experiments).

The attempt was noble, but I don't begrudge the impermanence of this tobacco on the regular market. Each mfr has many finer blends that I prefer.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Stonehaven is a beautiful dark broken flake with scatterings of lighter birdseye. It seems to have no particular scent in the tin. On lighting, I taste Virginia sweetness plus an almost Latakia-like chocolate top note. These tastes seem very distinct and aren't mingled at all. As the bowl progresses, I taste Virginia sharpness and sometimes the soapy/floral undertone of the traditional Lakeland flake. In this case, the soapy undertone is muted enough not to put me off. (Reminds me of Fox Squire's mixture in that regard.) Although this flake can be sharp, it is never really a tongue-biter in the class of certain American flakes we all know and love. Excellent smoking characteristics and a very slow, cool burner. Near the end of the bowl, a certain not unpleasant bitter element comes to the fore, a fifth dimension to the uncoiling flavor of this complex blend. Stoenhaven smokes to a fine white ash and, oddly enough, my wife says she doesn't mind the room note. (Note that my sample was a very early release version of this blend; I am quite interested to see how this blend behaves with some age on it.)