Stonehenge Flake is a wonderful traditional flake comprised of bright flue-cured and sun-cured leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi, with just a touch of Malawi Burley added for a bit of body, and a slightly fuller flavor. Then, we added a hint of genuine St. James Parish Perique, for its special piquant contribution. Once blended, the leaf was steamed, hot-pressed into blocks, and aged, to allow the flavors to meld and marry. The mature blocks were sliced into thin flakes, and cut into 2" lengths. This blend was a special limited release and is no longer made.

Notes: Stonehenge Flake was produced in December 2001 in a very limited edition of approximately 1500 2oz tins.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease and John Gawith
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A masterpiece. a blending marvel. from the other reviews i get the feeling the cellaring potential was lost on this when it came out. I managed to acquire a large stash of this and boy, am i glad i did. age has done things to this blend that are miraculous. Incredible sweet, getting stronger in taste and body and yet there are these ethereal fruit tastes, apricot, mango,orange. the lakeland essence wisps in and out of the smoke. I can see crystals all over the really thin flakes. the tobacco itself is starting to get that certain feel to it that only age can provide. perfect with Earl grey tea.even better with brandy. The perique, oh the perique! The perique is of the variety that is no longer easily had. how i wish it still was available.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Stonehenge Flake is a very limited edition of approximately 1500 2oz tins, developed jointly by G. L. Pease and Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. that completely sold out...practically within hours of its release.

I recently bought a tin and, collector?s value tossed aside, I anxiously popped the top to try it. The tin is dated Dec 2001 ? it is now July 2004.

The aroma was semi-sweet with some slightly tangy undertones. The flakes are dark with some brighter reddish-brown highlights. Looking closely, I can see traces of crystallized sugars on the surface of the flakes. It was a bit on the moist side for my tastes, but once I rubbed it out, it only took another 10 minutes or so for it to dry to where I like it. Or maybe I was just so anxious, I decided I liked it the way it was after 10 minutes. Who knows?

I rubbed the flakes out completely and got ready for the big test. The flame hit the leaf, and a mild sense of panic hit me. I detected the trademark Gawith Hoggarth floral-soap taste. Oh no? I thought of what I paid for this? This couldn?t be happening. I thought of the only other Gawith Hoggarth blend I had tried ? Bob?s Chocolate Flake. Oh no? But then I remembered all of the pleasant experiences I have had with tobaccos carrying the name Pease, and I settled down a bit as the soapy taste receded. It never left entirely, but it stayed so far in the background that I found I could enjoy the tobacco. And enjoy it, I did.

The natural sweetness blends exceedingly well with the Perique in this blend. The Burley forms a solid foundation and holds up the lower end giving body to the smoke, while the sweetness and the Perique dance around.

Overall, a very pleasant smoke. The burn is nice and even, and the balance is sublime.

Stonehenge Flake isn?t easy to find, and those who have it aren?t going to part with it easily, but if it is within your means, get some. I will of course give this a 4-Star rating, but as it has been said here, to say that this is something I will smoke regularly is wishful thinking on my part. There can?t be that much of it left out there!

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Yeah, I say that I smoke this regularly, but we all know THAT is a lie. I smoke this on special occassions, because there ain't no more. At least not in this current iteration. There is a strong rumor that Greg may bring it back again in a slightly different form.

Stonehenge is the perfect tobacco from my standpoint. I enjoy everything about it and I wouldn't change anything about it other than its availability.

Exceptional taste at all points in the bowl. It smells great in the room. It is heaven to nose breath this stuff.

I have six tins of this stuff stored away for special occassions. It's a cruel joke that it isn't readily available! Of course, I would have to fall in love with a blend that lasted about one day on the retail market.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Description: Flakes are very thin cut, perhaps a millimeter or slightly more thick. Mottled dark brown and medium in color. Overly wet when first received, but dried rapidly in a sealed, but loose baggie, and smoked well as received as well as when drier. For those of you who are amused by watching flakes attempt to levitate out of the bowl when first lighting, this one is quite a performer.

I smoked a three bowl sample that I received from one of the princes in the online pipe community. I prepared this by completely rubbing it out. A Savinelli pot that I have used for VA and VA/Perique flakes for some time was the venue. Initial light displayed perfume qualities similar to most Lakeland tobaccos. Overall flavor was very good with a high level of sweetness, no nasal burn, and very full flavor through the middle and lower registers of the palate, augmented by the spiciness of the perique. This is the best flake that I have ever smoked, with an incredible depth to the flavor that is only now becoming noticeable in most VAs for me.

I recently traded away two tins of this for an F&P release that is out of production, and suspect that I may come to regret the departure over time, although not the trade. I understand that the limited release of this blend was due to the small allotment of Percy Martin perique available for the blend. While never stated by the blender, this of course leaves open the hopeful, optimistic, fantastic, or even delusional possibility of subsequent releases in the future.

In the meantime, a rating of 4 stars must be interpreted as wishful thinking rather than actual practice due to limited availability.

(October 2002)

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I cannot speak to Stonehenge Flake when it was first produced as I had not smoked any at the time of its release. But what I can speak to is that SF aged into one fantastic flake. As a person that finds Pease blends very “hit or miss,” and I have smoked almost all of them, IMHO, this flake was one of Greg's finest achievements. Age has turned this into a sweet, lightly spicy smoke. The neatly cut flakes are very easy to work with and I prefer to cut them into small pieces with a small amount rubbed out to get the ball rolling. At this point in time, I find the sweetness of the Virginia’s rule the day, with the burley providing a bit of body and strength to the blend. I have noticed that the drier smoke Stonehenge, the more the Gawith Hoggarth flavors come out. I was lucky enough to squirrel a half dozen tins away before the current $100+ eBay price that is now fairly common. With just three tins left, I doubt I will miss SF enough to spend that kind of coin for more, but it will be sorely missed all the same. Very highly recommended.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

Sampled from a 2001 vintage tin. Tiny surgar crystals sparkled in the sunlight. Nice preperation of the dark, thin flakes which were easy to prepare. This tastes/smokes nothing like you'd expect from the tin aroma. Shades of Lakeland style flavoring that seems to compliment & enhance the sweetness of the mixture. This stuff really starts producing a good flavor after a fourth of it has burned off when the initial harshness begins to fade into a mild, savory smoke. So, give this one a chance and don't judge the book by its cover.

Easily rubbed out or folded, it smokes cool either way. Plenty of rich, creamy smoke with respectable strength. I loved this flavor, whatever it is. I don't notice the soapy flavor so much that some have mentioned but I surely notice an alluring flavor from the smoke...but that's just me. This blend reminded me a little of St. Bruno Flake, only not as strong. The combination of top shelf leaf is expertly blended, smells good, burns great, smokes mild & sweet, requires minor maintenance & produces minimal moisture.

The flavor remains throughout the bowl and doesn't get harsh or bitter toward the end. Drying it out pretty good will provide a better smoke and doing so doesn't diminish the flavor. One of the best of this genre that I've ever smoked. This blend kept me coming back for more. I suggest airing this out until the sharpness from the aroma subsides...as should be done with any tobacco that has been enclosed for a long period. Be careful because the thin flakes dry out quickly if the tin is left open too long.

This stuff commands a premium & has already become legendary. So, try to reward yourself with at least one tin. Truly remarkable. Therefore, IMHO, SF easily obtains a four star rating for an expertly crafted masterpiece. Sampled in a size two Dunny Shell Briar & a size 2 Stanwell...

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark colored very thin flakes with a tin aroma of a light Lakeland blend, and very earthy undertones. I struggled with folding, so ended up rubbing this out a bit. I actually tried different levels of rubbing out and settled on a light rub.

Unfortunately, no prep took away a seriously vexing problem I had with this blend. It sizzled my tongue from start to finish. It wasn't an all-out burning assault but it was most unpleasant. As a smoker of many aged Pease and aged G&H blends, I have no real idea what caused this disconnect. Clearly, this didn't require further aging! But it detracted from what could have been a pleasant experience, because the taste of this (what I could discern) was what I expected... a marriage of a light Lakeland essence with it's attendant burly sweetness a la G&H, with the robustness and full flavor of a Pease creation. Two of my favorite blenders - what could go wrong? A chemical imbalance with my palate, I guess. Talk about disappointment!

As I seem to be the only one with this issue, I can definitely recommend that G&H and Pease lovers give this a try if they find a tin reasonably priced. As someone who rates based on personal experience, however, this merits 2 stars. Great tasting but that tongue sizzle ruined it for me. My problem rather than the blend, so if this union interests you, by all means check it out.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Stonehaven is a beautiful dark broken flake with scatterings of lighter birdseye. It seems to have no particular scent in the tin. On lighting, I taste Virginia sweetness plus an almost Latakia-like chocolate top note. These tastes seem very distinct and aren't mingled at all. As the bowl progresses, I taste Virginia sharpness and sometimes the soapy/floral undertone of the traditional Lakeland flake. In this case, the soapy undertone is muted enough not to put me off. (Reminds me of Fox Squire's mixture in that regard.) Although this flake can be sharp, it is never really a tongue-biter in the class of certain American flakes we all know and love. Excellent smoking characteristics and a very slow, cool burner. Near the end of the bowl, a certain not unpleasant bitter element comes to the fore, a fifth dimension to the uncoiling flavor of this complex blend. Stoenhaven smokes to a fine white ash and, oddly enough, my wife says she doesn't mind the room note. (Note that my sample was a very early release version of this blend; I am quite interested to see how this blend behaves with some age on it.)

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

Review revised November, 2002. I was the recipient of a generous 3-pipe sample of this very-limited-edition tobacco at a pipe show, and was entranced by the idea of a GLP/Gawith combo, with Perique. After an uncharacteristic one bowl and a boatload of preconceptions, I declared this tobacco to be heaven-sent.

A few months later, I read that some ASPers don't think this stuff is so great. Impossible! So, I smoked another bowl, then my last bowl. Darn it, they're right. Stonehenge tastes like a subdued, slightly flat, GH Brown Flake. Nothing bad about it, just less good in most respects than BF. The Perique doesn't seem to work well either. Now, I'm obviously no Greg Pease, but this tendency of two good things creating one diminished thing is the usual result when I try to blend two tobaccos that I like (aromatic with McClelland VA, or FVF with Bright CR Flake, or so many other haphazard experiments).

The attempt was noble, but I don't begrudge the impermanence of this tobacco on the regular market. Each mfr has many finer blends that I prefer.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A delicious flake , with a little perique and an interesting topping . The flavoring is very light and craftily blended in with the other aromas . My biggest surprise was the first puff and the light soapy aroma common to the "lakeland" tobacco's . This quietly retreated to the background after the first few puffs .

Strider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strider (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

The first thing I noticed when opening the tin was a spicy smell and a very moist flake. I had to let it air dry for a while before I could get a good light out of it. This has a very soapy taste at first that seems to subside slightly about midway through the bowl. I can?t seem to get past this. I?m not much of a flake smoker (they burn a little hot for me) but I love all of the GPL blends. I purchased 3 tins of this, one to try now and two to cellar. I?ll let the opened tin dry a little, go back to it later and see if the soapy taste is as dominant, and update this review. Until then I will stick with BC and Haddo?s