"Dark and Sweet"

Notes: The pouch says that this is made in England by "Ogden's of Liverpool: Manufacturers of the finest tobacco since 1860."

BrandBlack Anchor
Blended ByOgden's of Liverpool
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
Strong
2.3
genkiryu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
genkiryu (2)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Not my favorite, but close, one of the few good tobaccos I can smoke on my living room without my wife complaining. The nicotine punch of this one can be a little too much for begginers, and curiously is much more noticeable when you smoke this just after any other tobacco. After two bowls it tends to bite a little but not as much as other offerings with the same price (Borkum Riff and Captain Black). If you use a big pipe it tends to release some gunk, but it didn't happen with a small one. Overall, a good tobacco with a decent nicotine content and a good room note.

virtu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
virtu (4)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I haven't found the perfect tobacco for me yet, but this one seems to be quite close to my ideal. Rather strong, but not too much, with full and exquisite flavor, this tobacco may be similar to "Condor": you love it or hate it. It burns well like "Erinmore" but has much more pleasant (in my opinion, of course)smell of plums. And it's really SWEET. Worthy to try, anyway.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Dont e fooled by the pouch aroma.. This stuff is powerful and can knock you out... Made me dizzy and burned rather hot. Not a pleasant smoke. Loads of nicotine here.. Little enjoyment. Not for me.

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Very Strong Strong Overwhelming Strong

This tobacco was a gift to me from a friend: with a name like Dark and Sweet she thought it sounded yummy. For that reason alone I wish I had better things to say about this blend. The package says it hails from "Ogden's of Liverpool; Manufacturers of the finest tobaccos since 1860." Considering they've been around for almost 150 years the lack of any information on this blend on the internet is suspicious.

The tobacco is ready-rubbed and it looks like your usual blend of dark and light tobacco but slimy to the touch. The pouch has a heavy aroma like dark fruitcake. Unfortunately, when lit it's like smoking a prune, and I can honestly say it's the most god-awful thing I've ever smoked. After only a little while of smoking this ghastly stuff my stomach was so queasy I've never been brave enough to give it another go. And it leaves quite a stench in your pipe.