A Kingly Tobacco enriched with a Noble aroma

Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.0

A rich, Cavendished Virginia with perhaps some Kentucky or Burley, mid brown in colour, taht comes in a very classy and elegant tin. This is quality tobacco. On opening the tin, you are greeted by a very special and interesting aroma. It reminded me of cinnamon, with a vague clove essence. When you smoke it, you get the same taste, very subdued and not at all offensive (kind of an unsweetened cinnamon roll).

The tobacco is easy to pack and light, and smoke rather cool. It comes in broken flake, and its moisture degree seems to me all right. I would say this is a light aromatic, very tasty and spicy smoke. It is definitely different to any other aromatic I have tried. Yet you still get plenty of tobacco flavour, very refined and temperate.

If you like Cavendished Virginia, medium strength, with a slight spicy aroma, try this one. I would not smoke it constantly, but as a winter smoke I have really come to enjoy it.

The tin does smell good, like a spiced winter lager, and for once I think I might have liked the topping to come out more in the smoke. It might help to cover some of the harshness of the tobaccos in this blend. I didn't really get bite from it, just a lack of smoothness. I will see what age will do for it.

12-1-11 A couple years in a jar has actually smoothed this out a bit. Not bad at all. I'll leave the rating where it is, since this is still not exactly my style, but that doesn't imply a lack of quality. I hereby retract my above statement concerning harshness, and lovers of light, spicy aros will be pleased by this blend.

viktabak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viktabak (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

It's hard to decide what the "noble aroma" here is. In the tin it smells like a stout beer; while smoked it has more of a spice, like clove. I find its elusiveness intriguing, and, at the very least, am thankful that this isn't simply the pipe-smoking equivalent of a clove cigarette.

Cornish Mixture has a definite tendency to bite ... in fact, "burn" is the more accurate word. I smoke it exclusively in a calabash for that reason, and if not for the bite would have given it a high recommendation.

I have no idea what the base tobaccos are. There do seem to be at least two, judging by color. The topping is not exactly light, but it's not heavy-handed either.

This might be a good tobacco for someone looking to get into aromatics, since there's a lot more spiciness than sweetness ... almost like a VA/Perique blend. It certainly appeals to this smoker, to the point of really craving it.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Cornish Mixture is an odd bird. At times it smokes like a straight Va, other times it is more of an aromatic. The topping seems to be fairly unevenly distributed throughout the mixture. I also suspect a bit of Burley lurking in there somewhere.

As Tantric noted, the topping did remind me of clove, and I also thought I caught what could have been cinnamon or possibly even ginger. It seem that every time I tried it, I thought of something different. I never was able to really nail it down, possibly do the aforementioned inconsistency of the topping.

While this was not a cool burning blend, I did manage to get away with my tongue intact ? but just barely. I found it to be a bit rough around the edges. Mine was a few years old when I smoked it. Maybe more age will help.

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Kolhase and Kopp present us with another apparently beautifully made tobacco in the form of Comoy?s Cornish Mixture. The tin is luxurious in appearance with lots of nice gold embossed print. And being a fan of things from the western side of Britain it seemed somehow appropriate to try a ?Cornish? tobacco.

The weed itself is a visually appealing homogeneity of light brown ribbon cut, and the aroma from the tin is spicy, like clove ? really delicious smelling. Moisture content was good, and the mixture packs nicely.

Initial light sends up a rather thin stream of hot smoke, but the flavor, sidestream, and room note are really exquisite. One will wait for the smoke to cool. Perhaps on relight after the charring? no. The burn is hot, the smoke, thin and unsatisfying and more puffing won?t improve the density, but will of course increase the heat. Still, the aroma is wonderful. By mid bowl I found myself thinking cool thoughts, imagining the icy wind coming off the Celtic Sea, sweeping across the jagged dark coastline of Cornwall? but it didn?t help. I tell you the person who develops a viable pipeman?s tongue condom will be well remunerated!

The last half of the bowl yields up, for me, a pounding headache. The aroma has turned to that of bitter, cheap, sour burley and the hellish furnace that the pipe has become makes smoking a miserable chore. The only thing that induces me to finish the remaining flavorless soot is the pitiful compulsion to burn out the sop that has accumulated, which mission finally accomplished, the headache subsides in about an hour.

In a stoic attempt to render a just review of this tobacco I played this scenario through the majority of the tin. The result was consistently the same. My fantasy of a pleasant, cozy, subtly aromatic smoke on perhaps, a rainy day in a Cornish pub perched on a craggy shore remains unrealized. Much of pipe smoking is often wrapped up in one?s psychological state? too bad perceptions are so often impinged upon by such harsh realities. Mediocre tobacco covered with a spooky topping. Don the tongue condom and proceed with caution.

Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I decided to continue to explore more of the tobaccos from pipe makers that I respect. Although the Comoy's of London tin label indicates made in the UK, the US distributor, J. B. Russell's label shows it as made in Germany. There was also a tin insert from Kolhase & Kopp that I believe is a German blender. The end result is a tobacco most like a true Danish Cavendish. The golden tobaccos have an ideal moisture content and result in a cool smoke that requires little attention in varying bowl sizes. Although this appears as a high quality tobacco, it has been heavily dosed with casing. I normally smoke VA flakes and would classify this blend as highly aromatic from the tin/room aromas to the taste. All remind me of the Chunky candy bars that I used to devour in my youth. That's not necessarily bad but I missed even a hint of natural tobacco taste and the lack or variation from start to finish of a bowl. Dedicate a pipe to this blend if you try it since the flavoring will infect it and influence other smokes. After resting a pipe overnight, I could still sense the strong flavor on the bit even before lighting another smoke. I might use this blend in company or hot weather but could not add it to my regular rotation or as an all day smoke.