This excellent mixture is a blend of first choice Virginia, burley and black cavendish. A promise for a unique smoking experiences which is crowned by a wonderful amaretto aroma.

BrandPeterson
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp & Co.
FlavoringAmaretto
CountryIE
Strength
Taste

2.7
tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

There a some tobaccos which a smoker can tell will be consistent smokers. Sunset breeze is one of them. It knows its place and acts accordingly. Therefore, after only two (very large) bowls I feel comfortable writing a review. If I the blend turns out to surprise me, I will make future adjustments.

Sunset breeze is similar to other euro style aromatics. The flavor remains smooth and mild throughout the bowl and the topping is evident in both smell and taste. It is heavily cased, but the casing is very different than that found in traditional American aros, Think Lane Lmtd.

Smooth cavendish is at the forefront, followed by a bit of burly, completed with a bit of virginia sweetness and the delicious (tasting and smelling) Amaretto. Dont expect a sip of straight Dissarano here, but instead a hint of it in the exhale and aftertaste. The Amaretto becomes more and less prominent throughout the smoke and always lingers in the aftertaste.

I think this is a great aromatic for anyone who does not regularly enjoy aromatics.

It comes a little moiste, and leaves a somewhat soapy mouthfeel, but it is not at all a turnoff in my opinion.

Fantastic, mild, smoke!

This is a very smooth yet flavorful tobacco. It is the only tobacco so far whose smell my girlfriend enjoyed

Pipe Used: Nording freehand, nording blowfish

Age When Smoked: unknown, freshly opened tin

Purchased From: Solvang tobacco shop

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (27)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

For me it is very surprising to understand how variable and subjective is the appreciation different kind of people may have over any kind of experience. But how crucial is to notice these differences and distinctions into something so apparently simple as to smoke tobacco in a pipe.

It is for granted that people who prefer english blends wouldn´t like something like Summer Breeze, as this is an aromatic with caps included. Not because it is overhelming in substance or generally reticent to develop tobacco aroma, but just because in general it will deliver the experience of what it does orginally suggest, that is Virginias and burley, topped with amaretto. If the person wants to appreciate the tobacco in itself then should go with english blends and indulge himself, if on the contrary he prefers to divert into the sugary background and escence from Amaretto with overtones of virginia, burley and black cavendish then i think this is the best choice hands down.

And it does because it has all the characteristics that will fascinate the palate with something mellow and flavorful. The burley stings politely, the cavendish soothes the delivery and the virginias enrich the sugary vapours of amaretto with intense sweetness.

I would say it is not a demanding smoke, that is for granted, it is not "subtle", nor does incredible journeys of much versatility in terms of flavour intricacy. But it does have it´s own subtlety as an aromatic, that is to delect in the tin aroma, the room note and the appreciation of the flavour that gradually interchange role plays with the soothing effect from the cavendish, the intensity spice of the burley or the increased caramelization given by the virginias. As it consumes it is apparently stronger and more tobacco like (if you prefer) at the beginning is a child party of sweetness, it ends adult like, bodily sweet with bits of stinginess.

Now, technically as most sugar based aromatics it demands slow smoke, otherways it tends to become nasty, the sugars pass from caramel to carbon, the aroma is hellish and the soothing part becomes grey ash and your pipe will be rekindled as an oven. So be careful, be slow, be patient, be kind. Amaretto is not a drink for getting drunk or to drink heavily, so does this tobacco!

Enjoy!

Similar Blends: Amaretto Amore.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Peterson - Sunset Breeze.

If you enjoy amaretto as a drink then get some of this!

The smell from the tin has a good character, almonds/amaretto with a slight citrus touch. The mix comprises some fairly chunky pieces of tobacco of which look to be a fair dissemination of the varieties and straight out of the tin mine was just the right moistness to smoke.

Once a bowl is lit I find the flavour stays at the same level throughout, no fluctuations but a nice steady taste of amaretto, a nuttiness that's made greater by the burley's own nut-like quality. The other tobacco tastes seem almost nondescript with a casing of this caliber. As much as the casing is quite heavy it doesn't start to gurgle that much, only a little towards the end. At the end of the smoke all I have left in the bowl is light grey ash and a TINY amount of dottle.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: nice.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Markuz Purple Poker

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Mark O Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark O (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Peterson Sunset Breeze is a mild, consistent aromatic tobacco. Unlike American aromatics, Sunset Breeze is less sticky (for lack or a better term) and produces a subtle room note which is not sickly sweet or overpowering. The flavor is mild and remains consistently mild throughout the bowl. Out of the tin it reminds me of raisins, fruit and liquor and smells delicious. It burns to a fine white ash without leaving a goopy residue. Like most more complex tobaccos, Sunset Breeze needs tending. A charring light and two or three relights usually is needed for a bowl as well as a little tamping and prodding. I like this tobacco when I have time to sit, relax and sip the bowl which usually lasts forty minutes or more. I wouldn't smoke this blend while working or driving because I simply wouldn't be able to give it the needed attention. This is a classy blend that should be reserved for the right time and place. A pleasant smoking experience.

Pipe Used: Peterson Preimer 150S Bulldog

Coltrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrain (8)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It would be unfair to say that this is a bad tobacco, but it is by no means a great tobacco.

As you open the tin you get drawn in by a delectable amaretto aroma. It smells good enough to eat! I mean that! Of course we know where this smell comes from, the casing, and being a Peterson aromatic it is very heavily cased (side note regarding Peterson tobacco; many people regard their heavy hand in the casing department to be of detriment to the brand, but on the contrary I find it to be an good thing as every tin is the same, their consistency is outstanding).

It takes time to dry out but once it's ready this stuff packs relatively well. First light brings an explosion of flavor from the casing. Lovely. The room note throughout the bowl remains that same lovely amaretto scent. The flavor I fear does not hold however, once I had smoked half way down I couldn't taste much of anything. The casing I suspect was no longer intense enough to impart flavor to the smoke and the tobaccos are not flavorful enough on their own.

I would not make this a regular tobacco but it sure as hell is a crowd pleaser. I smoked this in a pub with a few friends once and I had a constant stream of people asking me what on earth I was smoking and where can they get some!

A must. But she ain't a the kind of girl you'd marry.

Pipe Used: Petersons Killarney 150

Purchased From: Peterson's of Dublin

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I remember this blend like it was yesterday... I had embarked on the beginning of a journey to South Korea. The plane flight over included a 4 hour layover in Chicago. When I was there in Chicago I saw a tin of Sunset Breeze in the window of a small smoke shoppe and decided to pick up the blend and a nice meerschaum pipe to take with me to Korea. Upon landing in South Korea, my first impression was that the women were beautiful. I had never seen such beauty in my life. In Seoul I had spent 4 months, teaching English to squishy Korean children. I had been given a break and decided to visit Busan beach, where the sexy Korean women would be even sexier.

Walking along the beach, I marveled as I always did at the amazing beauty of the women. Their perfect bodies and soft, pale skin. But there, shortly after, I witnessed a horror that was commonplace in south korea. I saw a gorgeous female walking hand in hand with the ugliest man I had ever seen in my entire life. He was so ugly that I instantly became angry. Partially because of jealousy for the women he had, but mostly just because his face was so ugly that it was offensive. Almost like if someone was to flip out a disgusting picture of male genitalia on you, without warning. That same sort of anger swelled inside my chest. How dare he be this hideous! In the middle ages they would have burned him at the stake, or at least forced him to wear an iron mask and be locked in the deepest, darkest dungeon. And to make matters worse, this man showed no humility. The way he walked, talked and carried himself, one could just tell that he thought he was the end all-be all; that his tastes were the pinnacle of all of man kind's achievements and that his intelligence was above all else.

My anger consumed me so that it "got the better of me," and without even thinking, I tore my shirt in blind rage and struck the man. His girl screamed, but i didnt care. This man had to be dealt with, taught a lesson... disciplined. Immediately after striking him, I took him and threw him from the pier on which we stood, into the pacific ocean. It took what seemed like minutes for me to calm down, but in reality was mere seconds. I turned and faced the girl that had been around his arm. Gazing into her eyes I saw fear, but only fear of what she did not know; I saw curiosity, eagerness and desire, all that she felt for me. I stepped towards her,and held out my hand, and to her I said "Come with me. (???.)"

She took my hand and we left, heading towards a secluded stretch of beach, where we were alone. Together, over a bottle of wine, we watched the sunset, as a gentle breeze swept the sea shore. And there, on Busan Beach, she laid. Laid me as if I was a King that had just rescued her from her death. And I had never been laid better in my entire life, never with such passion and intensity as we only stared into eachother's eyes as we made love. Once we finished I reached into my bag smoked Sunset Breeze as she fell asleep, with her arms wrapped around me as the gentle ocean breeze swept over our naked bodies. I felt like a god.

When I awoke the next morning, the beautiful girl had gone, leaving behind only her footprints in the sand and a garment of her's for me to keep in remembrance of the greatest night of my life.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is indeed an excellent aromatic blend full of natural flavor such as the Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish employed. The enhancer was more of an aroma producer than flavor producer but it does sweeten the blend to delightful proportions.

Pipestud

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)

In my opinion every aromatic has the proper hour to be smoked and give you the most.this evening with my cup of coffee i decided to try this blend.once the tin opens a wonderfull aroma of bitter almonds and alcohol etc Amaretto comes out.a second deeper smell and you detect some nuts too.the belnd moisture is proper so lighting is easy though several relights are needed because it is consisted of small and large ribbons so it doesn't burn smooth.while burning the flavours are nice and natural.burleys are the star though someone including me expects the cavendish to be dominant.rich taste of nuts,cocoa and earthy notes are dominating the cavendish wich have the Amaretto taste.sweet and discreet.virginias are tonned down a lot though sometimes some citrus notes come out.generally the flavours combine well each other very natural and pleasing.the blend as i mentioned doesn't burn smooth,medium hot to ash with some unburned chunks.the nicotine level is low ant the after taste is nice.the room note is plesant.generally this is a nice aromatic that differs from the common aromatics and can be an all day smoke.

Age When Smoked: When opened

DJ CULL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DJ CULL (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

My absolute all time favourite, quite sweet but very tasty and smells better than any ol` home baked bread. Has a better taste to it than Clan.

Pipe Used: Corncob, Falcon standard

Age When Smoked: unknown to me

Purchased From: Lands tobacconist, Stratford Upon Avon. UK

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have yet to try a Peterson blend that I did not enjoy and this one is yet another quality offering. I am not a huge aro fan, but when I smoke an aro, I find Peterson does it better than just about any of the others. Gold Blend and Deluxe are my favorites of the brand, but this one comes in third in my books.

The underlying leaf in all their aromatics are of high quality and the toppings are such that you can actually enjoy the flavor of the same. It really comes down to the toppings when differentiating between the blends and this one could very well be someone else's four star blend. If you don't like aromatics at all, don't bother. This is heavily flavored and one should not expect it to taste like an English blend.

I preferred this one in my meerschaums as I do all heavily topped aromatics.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: local B & M

Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

A blend in the same league as Blue Note: good tobaccos so heavily cased that the shredded leaves almost feel sugary and sticky between the fingers. A bowl once a year might be fine, but this kind of blends now nauseate me from the tin aroma up to the actual smoking experience. Better than the drugstore aromatics (at least, if you smoke slowly, you can get some tobacco taste), but as usual the taste for the smoker is not as delicious as the smell that those who surround him can experience. And the second half of the bowl always tastes rank and gets bitey... If you want to get a more detailed description, take a look at my review for Blue Note and think that this is a tobacco with a very similar taste but with an amaretto flavoring (which everyone else will rave about, but the smoker won't since he will get almost nothing of it). Not bad, mind me, but just the thought of this ultrasweet stuff make me shiver...

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

"This excellent mixture is a blend of first choice Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish. A promise for a unique smoking experience, which is crowned by a wonderful Amaretto aroma that also brings enjoyment to the smokers' surroundings."

My adored niece gave me a tin of this for Christmas. I don't know what posessed her. It IS a lovely container. It DOES, like all aromatics, help cake-build. It helped turn an orangey Italian pipe a nice shade darker after a few smokes. It will help colour meerschaums, too.

Is this Peterson's "Danish" blend? It is mildly elegant, delicately scented, very lightly tobaccoey, un-goopy and reasonably cool. Will that amaretto frou-frou go AWAY from my pipe after a few smokes of something manly?

A high-quality, youthful choice for aromatic lovers with keen-nosed innamoratas. They'll coo at the cool tin, too.

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)

I had a tin of this aromatic years ago right after it was introduced to the market. I took notes about Sunset Breeze being intensly flavored with the aroma of sweet almonds (Amaretto).

This time around I found a tobacco with hardly any flavor noticeable. Neither added aromas nor distinct tobacco flavors were to be found. It is not bad or a total waste of money, just lacks any good reason to ever purchase it again.

Sunset Breeze is of medium strength with a tendency to get a bit bitey/dusty when smoked too hot.

Pipe Used: Filter and Non-filter pipes

Age When Smoked: fresh to 1yr

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (54)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

A aromatic blend of Virginia, Burley, Black Cavendish & cased with Amaretto. First smell from the tin was caramel / butterscotch, probably due to the Cavendish & Burley. On first light, the same butterscotch / nuttiness were evident and then suddenly, notes of sweet something. Not necessarily the amaretto, more a marzipan-like flavour. Only deeper in the bowl, I could trace the Amaretto - very lightly. For those who like these flavours, probably a good aromatic blend but not my favourite. I will probably not buy another tin.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: not sure

Lingo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lingo (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a great aromatic, no doubt. It is loved by your room, nicely cased but not too much. Tobacco -very good- is there and you feel it BUT I have a problem with the temperature. It seems to me that caramelization times and periods of virginias and others do not collide nor harmonize. Thus the whole bowl is a sort of - quite fast - alternate scenes sequence with different actors playing separately. Might be nice to others, while for me was a tiring experience, also due to a very quick burning time. There are TOO MANY worse aromatics than this, but there are several which are far better.

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo - Peterson

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I don't like Amaretto - it is too sickly sweet for me. I love this tobacco though! The Amaretto taste is not overly sweet or overwhelming. There is some caramel in there too.

The room note is fantastic and will garner tons of compliments. Lucky bystanders will get to smell caramel, baked goodies and a hint of almonds. Yet, it has some kind of fresh note too. It is both warm and fresh. Sunset Breeze is an apt name. This is one of those tobaccos where I exit and re-enter the room several times during a smoke just to enjoy the room note.

I can still remember how this tobacco bit me, even when smoking very slowly, when I first took up the pipe. Nowadays there is no bite - just a very definite mouth feel, which actually contributes to the smoking experience. Just shows how mouth chemistry adapts with time.

In conclusion, a very nice Virginia, Burley and Black Cav aromatic, if you like aromatics. It does smoke a bit hot though, and for this reason I give it 3 and not 4 stars.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Nah... Sorry.

After all the pomp and ceremony about this one being Petersons better efforts at an aro, well, I'm just not convinced.

I like Ameretto, the tin aroma is wonderfully pungent, strong and promises a lot up front, seemingly at ease with it's reputation as earnt from other tobacco adventurers before me..

However, as far as I'm concerned this pleasant aroma doesn't translate as well (if at all) into the smoke, neither for that matter in the room note either if I'm honest. I detected VERY weak overtones of this aro as it reached the end of it's recyling process of the senses, during each 4 second draw that made up my half-hour's afternoon toke.

This one does smoke a wee bit on the warm side (and I'm a sipper) and it tastes more chemically artificial than most of it's stable brothers that I've tried from Peterson. It's ok, but I won't buy another. 'Connoissours Choice' is a much better option IMO.

Still, it's for you to decide not me...

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)

When I first popped open the tin everyone in the room commented on the wonderful Amaretto fragrance that almost immediately filled the room. Upon first light it blow-torched my mouth, but when I recovered and continued I really enjoyed this blend. The tobacco was good and the Amaretto wafted in and out very nicely. The tongue bite was only present upon lighting up. Take it easy and light up slowly, you will be rewarded.

Courtney Fish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Courtney Fish (20)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was the first tobacco I tried that I felt was something special - the type of tobacco I had been searching for.

The tin note is beautiful, very distinctly 'tobacco' rather than candy but with a subtle amaretto aroma. Upon lighting, the added aromatics are distinct but subtle adding to the flavours of the tobacco rather than overwhelming them. Throughout the smoke hints of peach, caramel and almonds are presented with the amaretto most obvious on the exhale but this is always very balanced and never too sweet. The only drawback is that it tends to smoke quite hot although this may be more to do with the smoker than the smoke, however I experienced no bite.

The room note is as would be expected, a little sweet but very pleasant. Mainly fine ash is left but with what at the time I thought was a surprising amount of dottle, now that is what I generally expect of Peterson's, particularly when using a smallish pipe. Having said that, particularly for this blend I find a much more enjoyable smoke when using a 'compact' bowl as the subtlety of the flavours tends to be lost by end of large or wide bowl.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Mixed cut, ribbons of Black Cavendish with small pieces of brown and brighter leafs. The tin note is positively Amaretto, discreet and pleasant. On the smoke however, while it tastes like an aromatic - a light one though - the flavor is close but not exactly Amaretto. The tobacco used seems to be of good quality, I mostly taste Burley, nutty and sweet and Black Cavendish. Virginias probably add a high note but never really sharp. It is sweet, but not overtly so. It tastes a little like butterscotch. Overall the taste intensity is mild to medium and the smoke does not have much body, but still you can tell you are smoking tobacco. Strength is only mild. It is a pleasant smoke, it does not bite and does not get acrid nor does it get very hot. It also behaves very well, takes to light easily and burns completely to fine ash with no dottle at all. It smokes slightly humid but that’s not a real hindrance to the smoking experience. Room note is rather pleasant. It only does not taste very good when you relight after leaving it half smoked for some time.

I do like Sunset Breeze, my only problem is that it is too mild and light bodied for my tastes. I tried mixing it with pure Burley and a little Perique which added body and nicotine with very good results. It almost tasted a just faintly aromatized tobacco. I also got good results with the addition of fragrant Izmir.

BatmanPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BatmanPipes (9)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Strong

Why: Burley aromatic with Virginia and black cavendish. A step down in aroma compared to Peterson Connisour’s choice but with added Burley. So if Burley is your way and you want an aromatic, this will work.

Looks: It looks like a good bit of burley and black cavendish with some Virginia selections in ribbons.

Using?: A dusk smoke when you want an aromatic that is not overwhelming and a dose of Burley. The room note is sweet.

Result: Doesn’t feel or look wet but smokes a bit wet. Even with pauses condensation wets the filter and there is some bubbling. Burns best when halfway down the bowl. Not a hard alcohol/amaretto taste as described but sweet.

Conclusion: Get Connisour’s choice unless you are a Burley person. This is geared towards a more traditional pipe base and taste with added select Virginia. Connisour’s choice does it better without the Burley with more Red Virginia and black cavendish mix for more fruit, rums and vanillas tastes.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula 68

Similar Blends: Peterson Connisour’s choice.

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (38)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

On presentation, I was greeted by roughly cut short ribbon, slowly uncurling to appear as thin flat flakes. Predominantly yellow and tan leaf with some brown cavendish throughout. Strong aroma of amaretto. I left the tin open overnight and only proceeded the next day. The pipe packed well with the usual amount of room without packing too hard (as aromatics do not do well with hard packing). It lit up well, and despite being rather moist, it only needed a tiny bit bit of charring. It stayed lit without going out. The aroma and flavour were mostly driven by nice cavendish and burley. Smooth and mild, without any bite or bitterness. Cannot comment on virginia as it promptly disappeared under the amaretto topping towards the end of the bowl. The ash formation was civilised and uniform, with only minor compacting. High quality of the tobacco used here cannot be faulted. For that alone it deserves four stars. If you like amaretto topping you will find this a treat, as it stays true throughout the bowl. If it is not your taste, there are many others to choose from, including others in Peterson's stable (Luxury Blend, De Luxe Mixture, Connoisseur's Choice) that one can grow to like a lot. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin briar 9mm filter

Purchased From: 4noggins

Reagold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reagold (25)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin I was dissapointed, no Amaretto smell at all. Firsts smokes we're also unpleaseant. So I let it rest for some weeks, what brought the Amaretto smell to the tin and a more pleasant smoke, although nothing very special.

So, is it a total waste? No, for sure I'll finish the tin and enjoy. BUt won't buy again. There are, even in the Peterson line, very better options. So it's just "somewhat reccomended".

HouDEANie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HouDEANie (7)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Sunset Breeze, makes you picture that you are on an Island vacation or on a Luxury yacht somewhere in the Caribbean. :)

This was my first tinned tobacco I bought after smoking dozens of our local tobacconist's house blends. I wanted something with an aroma that makes everything smell nice LOL.

Well opening the tin it smelled divine, ameretto was pronounced, nuts and a hint of maple maybe. It was the best purchase I made I thought at the time. It was slightly on the moist side so I set it out on my tobacco board and let it air about 20 minutes or so.

I loaded it in a Big Ben pipe, cannot remember the model but it was bent pipe. My lord was I surprised when I smoked this. I was a new pipe smoker at the time and did not realize that that delicious smells from the tin did not translate to the taste. It was HOT, like in steamy hot. No tobacco taste, no amaretto or tastes of any kind, just pure hot steam. Oh and I made my first acquaintance with tongue bite. Well needless to say, I was left with a sore tongue and a tobacco I did not like.

I tried smoking this a few times, I really wanted to like this tobacco but every smoke was the same. It got put down somewhere and I forgot about it. 4 month or so later i discovered it again but it was dried out, still smelled great though but I chucked it into the bin. It just was not for me, it smoked too hot and too wet.

Pipe Used: Big Ben

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Burney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burney (12)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sunset Breeze makes for a surprisingly good smoke. After my first (very large) pipe full I can say, I am quite impressed. I am generally not a great fan of aromatic tobacco, many of them makes me actually quite nauseous.

In the case of Sunset Breeze the taste of burning alcohol and sugar is quite absent, which is usually the thing that kills an aromatic for me. Being a daily smoker of English blends, I was sure I was going to hate this. Surprise, I do not. I will, however not make aromatic tobaccos a part of my daily rotation. For that, I will stick to old Dublin and Squadron leader.

One of the things that really impressed me about sunset breeze, is the fact that the flavour of the smoke stays constant all the way down the bowl. I will say, at first and only light, The tobacco flared up quite hot. After bringing the temperature down, by smoking very, very slowly, The smoke became surprisingly similar to having a glass of sweet liquor. Not a big surprise, since it is Amaretto flavoured.

The ash was very fine ( I cannot tell you the colour however, blind guy here), there was no oil in the bottom of the bowl or in the shank. Something else that really impressed the hell out of me, is the fact that the pipe did not gurgle at all. I am use to aromatics talking to me throughout the smoke.

It is very early to say, but I suspect that I might in the future buy another tin of this.

Pipe Used: A very large briar pipe of unknown brand.

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: Local brick and mortar tobacco shop.

Bram Van Beethoven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bram Van Beethoven (2)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I really liked this one. Mild and very nice touch of amaretto. Be careful not to smoke it too fast, prefer it to smoke it very slowly.

Pipe Used: Big Ben

Purchased From: Netherlands

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This blend hits somewhere in the middle of the Peterson aromatic line up. It just really does nothing for me personally, YMMV. Tin note and room note are very pleasing, just has no oomph in the flavor or nicotine areas.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)

I bought this one mainly because I've been wanting to get my hands on one of their pipes, as a lot of folk seem to have them. Sadly, with limited finances, I am unable to treat myself to one. However, it did occur to me that I could at least try their tobacco.

I picked this one for no particular reason, apart from the fact that is scores reasonable well here. Sure enough, the aroma from the tin did not disappoint with its' strong wafts of almond-like amaretto. It's easy packing and light are to be expected with ribbon cuts like this so it's hardly a surprise. The flavour of the smoke was an intriguing, if a disappointingly underwhelming, panoply of all the desserts I used to eat after Sunday dinner as a child, shades of custard, peaches, Christmas cake, Mr Kiplings' almond slices. The room note doesn't follow suit though, instead chucking out wafts of amaretto proper. Tonguebite is negligible.

Right, this is where I stray from an otherwise good review and go off on one. I am sick to death of tobaccos that promise a really full and strong and flavour with their tin aroma only to find that the smoke, while being pleasant, struggles to hold up to anything like the promise of the first whiff of the stuff. If any of the folk who make blends actually read these things, please please please, give us a little more of the promise of the oh so gorgeous tin aroma. Rant over.

In spite of said rant, I do find this a pleasant smoke, almost good to have as a dessert after a good evening meal. Just be minded the strength of the tin aroma is let down but the weakness of the smoke flavour.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (35)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is my new favourite tobacco. I'm planning to always have at least one tin of this around.

I went into the tobacconist planning on buying some Old Dublin, but they were sold out. This was my 2nd choice, and wow, I don't regret choosing it.

When I opened the tin for the first time, the smell was amazing. It's a lot like the Peterson's Con. Choice, but with the addition of a pleasant almond/amaretto scent. It was fantastic, I couldn't wait to light up a bowl.

Smoking it was very nice. There doesn't seem to be heaps of flavour when smoked, but the room note is brilliant. Currently I have to smoke outdoors or in the car port/shed. (non-smoking rental property) I personally wouldn't mind if my house smelled like this tobacco, but others would disagree.

I didn't experience any tongue bite, and the amount of unpleasantness in taste was minimal.

Until I try something else that blows me away, this will be my tobacco of choice. Highly recommended.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Strong Full Very Strong

This is an edited review, after smoking this nearly a year now, I have to concede comments about the bitterness if smoked too quickly are true. I am smoking this in a fairly new but stained Pete 150 Red Killarney, these days, so it is even more bitter than it should be. I agree with recent comment about suiting a fishtail more than a P-lip. Still a great aro, people just love this in bistro's, the reactions to room note are worth smoking just to see. But, because of the bitterness that can get you, I am marking it down to 3 stars. What I like about Peterson's, is that, they usually taste just as they say they are. This is an amorreto flavour and that is exactly what you get, I love amorreto, so its gets top marks from me. My other daily tobacco along with Sherlock Holmes, it goes great with a coffee in the morning or as a desert smoke. It burns very well, and less bite than most heavy cased aro's be they Petersons or Mac Barens. Sweet but again not too sickly. I literally have had to grab my pipe back from the women in bars/cafes, women love this room note. Even their jealous boyfriends. To me its the Italian job, and much more sophisticated than say Mac Barens Vanilla Cream (a well tested and tasty aromatic). If you like pipes and amorreto this is a must buy.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Peterson does make some nice blends. This while being pretty mild is a nice mild smoke. The opening note is mild but very pleasant. Light up was fine and smoke was pretty cool. This is not a big biter. There are hints and I do mean hints of amaretto floating around you mouth. Room note is also mild but pleasant. This is a pleasing nice mild aromatic that just about anyone could enjoy. Good job Peterson!

Pipe Used: Boswell freehand

Age When Smoked: Pretty fresh

Purchased From: Smoking pipe

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

So this one was a real downer for me. I had heard great things about it, but admittedly it was mainly about the room note. Ironically I would give this a lower rating on room note than some other blends as well.

Taste wise I found it reasonably flat; "hot air" syndrome. There is a tobacco taste but its not terrifically rich taste wise.

I also found this blend very "bitey" and no matter how I've approached it, what I find is that I am looking forward to the bowl just being finished, just out of principles sake.

Won't be buying this one again -- and admittedly as its my first Peterson blend, it has me a little nervous about others from Peterson.

richard f. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
richard f. (5)
Very Mild Medium Mild Unnoticeable

please note . . there is no catagorie for room note for those who only smoke their pipe in the park accross the street from the apartment.

i used to smoke latakia blends with high nicotine content but because of medical problems either had to give up smoking my pipe or find low nicotine blends. Sunset Breeze was recomended by Oleg at the pipe store and it and peter heinrich 116 have served my well.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: from new to a year

Purchased From: Hagit Pipes, Tel Aviv

Similar Blends: i dont know.

Harry Wroughton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harry Wroughton (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Being a novice pipe smoker still (around 2 years with little experience in different tobaccos), I made the mistake of trying an aromatic rather than a mild English. That being said, this, out of a few others I have tried, is a lovely blend. Unfortunately, I only have a Falcon briar pipe and a simple corncob so, not owning a clay pipe, I have been unable to truly get proper taste of Sunset Breeze. However, I must say, on most occasions, I have thoroughly enjoyed a bowl. For myself, SB really gives a rich, fruity, almost Christmas-like flavour, despite the inevitable tongue-bite! Wouldn't recommend to a beginner on aromatics, however, I am yet to discover an aromatic without getting TB! Maybe that's just my lack of experience.

Enjoyable blend every now and then. Recommended for someone looking for a slightly strong, but pleasant, autumnal/wintery blend.

Pipe Used: Falcon Coolway

Purchased From: Gauntley's of Nottingham, UK

Nuen( Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nuen( (1)
Strong Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

No recommend to smoke. Unpleasant it bite your tongue. Amaretto smell only in a tin when open it. Tobacco too hot. I will not buy it again. This is a bod Peterson I ever take.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: Bnity

Paulinprague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paulinprague (2)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Please, no. I bought this tin to test aromatics, being a newcomer to pipe smoking, and the tin note is delicious, with amaretto in abundance. Once lit, there is no flavour, tongue bite and that's it. If the glow is sniffed, ammoniacial stench fills the nostrils. Avoid.

Pipe Used: Bassa dymka pot

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Ouch this bit me, almost as bad as Sweet Killarney. I loved the Amaretto aroma and so did everyone within smelling distance but boy I just can't get past the bite. Shame really... Otherwise the Amaretto topping smells and tastes (when I could taste it through the flame) just like Disaronno and is truly heavenly. Save your money and pass on a tin...

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is quite sweet and weak. The Cavendish takes full-frontal stage and the Virginias are swallowed up by the casings. The tobaccos are of a quality but, as a Balkan fan, I find little to enjoy here.

Images evoked: a skeleton talent show being sountracked by 8-track BeeGees recordings where, even though one bonehead might be called a winner, everyone ultimately loses.

Pipe Used: Peterson Bent

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)

Initial light releases a pleasant amaretto aroma. Once into it, a pleasant slightly sweet background complements the good base tobacco. The burley becomes dominant as you work your way down the bowl. Lit well, handled well all the way down to fine ash. Clean pipe was the ultimate result. I also make a pipe break-in blend with this, Granger and Carter Hall in equal amounts. Has served quite well. Solid 2+ as a lone actor.

Pipe Used: Peterson, Armellini, MM, Bjarne

Age When Smoked: undated; bought 6 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Joyful and pleasant. Burley and virginia mix almost impressive, the touch of b cavendish is like the cherry on the top of the cake and don't forget the amaretto all around. Perfect smoke when you are in happy mood. Smell is wonderful. The only downside of this ... is kind of mild and nicotine is very shy.

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Antihero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Antihero (16)

Being not particularly into aromatics I gave this one a shot due to it's good reputation. What can I say? It was absolutely worth it! Unlike so many aromatics (at least the ones you can buy here in Germany without too much ado) this one has high quality tobacco underneath the casing. And the casing (almonds/Amaretto) is very noticeable, yet it balances perfectly with the fine and satisfying tobacco aroma, mainly the Virginias and the Burley. The Black Cavendish is more or less soaked with the Amaretto and doesn't shine through very much, but that's no loss imo. Packs easily, lighting and keeping lit is child's play and due to it's cut it fits in bowls of almost every shape and size. Very uncomplicated stuff. Oh, and unless you suck on the pipe like on a big fat milkshake with a too narrow straw, there will be no tongue bite. I recommend it with solid three stars (one star short of highly recommended because I miss a little complexity), will finish the tin and will buy again for the times I want a not too sweet dessert instead of Lat bombs or hay-y fresh Virginias.

Kevfoong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevfoong (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

Recommend by the local tobacconist. I like the smell when I 1st open the tin. Smooth and sweet. Smoke fast and you will get bite! Wet the bowl every time I finish the bowl. The only reason I smoke Peterson is.. the price is fairly at the average side.

Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

This one is a miss for me. It looks and smokes alot like Peterson's other virginia blends, but I just can't forgive the stale, fruity aftertaste. It's like smoking Malibu rum. Try Luxury Blend or Connoisseur's choice instead.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (35)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First bowl: loved it (even though I agree with reviews below; mixed messages upon tin opening). A tiny bit o' bite.

Second bowl: loved it more than B1 (after preparing pipe and letting sit for the afternoon).

Third (and most recent) bowl: spectacular. War Department currently rolling her eyes (though she liked it too). Left a bowls worth to dry overnight and eagerly dove in after work the next day. Even better than B2.

A little moist on opening day but gurgled only briefly. I'll be coming back to this one. Burns evenly and was a NooB friendly fill and light.

When the wind is right and I catch the amaretto casing, the neighbours are as happy as I am.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Peterson Sunset Breeze is the sirens of all aromatic blends. When it comes time for me to pack my bowl with something nice I can hear this seductive tobacco calling my name. It says, "open up my jar and smell me". The smell of this tobacco is truly astounding. This is one of those tobaccos that you almost want to put in your mouth to see if it tastes as good as it smells.

Unfortunately this blend is the equivalent of putting a blonde wig and lipstick on a bulldog. No matter how nice that dog is dressed up, it is still a dog, and at the end of the day, sunset breeze is still an aromatic. As much as I would like it to be more, it is what it is.

In the grand scheme of the aromatic world this is a very solid offering. It is a little sticky and goopy but what aromatic isn't? I would also guess this will tattoo a ghost into your pipe as fast as you can light it. The flavors are nice but it can be bitey, and it never truly lives up to the tin note. Such is life in the world of aromatics.

This is my go to crowd control blend. This is one of the best smelling blends I have ever put flame too, and even the most stringent and abrasive public health Nazi will be subtly wooed by its warm comforting "grandma's house" aroma.

You can buy worse aromatics, but you can buy better ones too. If you occasionally enjoy a shot to the sweet tooth then definitely give this one a try. If you are not usually an aromatic smoker this one isn't going to win you into that camp.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

It would be better if it wouldn't smell so great, because this fantastic tin aroma seduces the pipester to puff way to hard :) A delight when sipped, excellent tobaccos underneath, superb room note. Can't smoke it every day, but once in a while. 3.5/5

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

My first tobacco as I revisit the pipe genre after decades of stogies. Having never being adept to tasting cedars, nuts, fruits in cigars, thought it would be easier in aromatics. Back in the gap I smoked some store - bought apple, but that was childhood play compared to this blend.

Smells of tobacco and amaretto, densely packed and moist, burns well-enough (I guess), it does numb the tongue-not sure if that denotes "tongue bite" ... The better 1/2 enjoys the room note, I enjoy the taste very much, it's a dependable smoke.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (24)

A good way to kick off my ventures into Petersons aromatic tobaks. This stuff seemed to be getting the most hype of all petersons aromatics so I gave it a go.

Really strong, pleasant Ameretto smell from the tin... Reminds me of a good cherry flavored blend, love it!

Smokes great, very well behaved without any bite. The pipe bowl can get quite hot though. Of course, as always, the flavor isn't as strong tasting as it is smelling out of the tin. Stillna great smoke though... And usually ends up an all day blend for me.

Does smoke a bit wet, but a flick of the pipe can fix that.

All in all, solid. 3.5/4. Recommended!

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Of course, we all have different tastes when it comes to our choice of tobacco. As a general rule, I really enjoy the Petersons blends, but I was not so keen on this one. It might just be the inclusion of the Maryland tobacco.

As with the other Peterson blends, the aromatic casings do not over power the high quality tobacco. They also work well together in providing an overall flavor. The tobacco packs and burns well to the bottle of the bowl, leaving a fine white ash with no "gurgle" that you can find with lower quality aromatics.

If you like Maryland blends you should give this a try. Personally I found the taste a little too "dry" and reminded me a little of English Blends. Not for me - but it might be for you.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The aroma is very nice upon opening the tin...reminiscent of the holidays...xmas pudding and other alcohol flavored cakes....the room note is pleasant and doesn't linger long...the taste is very mild...it doesn't taste the same as the scent but I keep coming back to it. Now though I like it I'm not sure I would buy it again. I would prefer to find a sweeter better tasting aromatic. But I do think you can tell the quality as some cheaper brands I have been trying coat the mouth while this does not.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)

Sunset Breeze 50g round screw lid tin.

Tin appearance:Black and tan for the main with some very bright cornflake yellow blond fleks,,,rough cut and ribbony pot pouri appearance.

Tin aroma:Confection like; ala christmas chockolates,strawberry fondant,almonds,vanilla,turkish delight, its something sweety like. Evidentally aromatic but no actual chocolate really;more like the essence of what is the mystery contents/centre of such hypothetical allegorical chocolates.The aroma smells rich at point blank nasal range, but not over heavy;lightly vanilla cased with perhaps a lighter fruitier topping.

Tin moisture and feel:Feels ok and dry enough to smoke without airing(but experience has taught me that peterson aromatics benefit from a little airing for a while before packing).

Sipping prevents nip,which after a 1/4 inch depth has been burned,it nolonger threatens and seems to self control itself into an a neutral PH state from which i can judge its settled properties.

The first thing i notice is the topping which is like an aromatic fruit tea,,unsweetened and non cordial or confection like compared to the tin aroma which is a good start. I detect more of a topping aspect than a casing while smoking, there is no sickly factor.

The aroma doesn't intrude over the tobacco which although milder compared to other things i smoke,,,it does have a tobacco taste..

The baccy beneath is harder for me to describe because aromatics are not really my speciality and they don't convey as much to my imagination but;this in its pensive aescetic silence said enough with few words and left me to think about other things..

As i got into it and the bowl settled, the tobacco itself reminded me of aromatic natural white steamed rice. 'simple' ,gently sipping away the ingredient leaf combines to creat a natural rice like taste (in an interesting way and not an appology for blandness). Uncluttered ,measured, subtle like a great song heard as a whisper throught the wind, i am left to my own imagination really.

Back to the topping scent(although this tabacco smells cased in the tin,it doesn't manifest itself as a charecteristic in the smoking experience;-it imparts an aroma and mild taste like fruit tea over the bowl of rice (tobacco) as a compliment - simultaneous like two separate entities happening at the same time in syncronicity ,without one dominating the other.(imagine eating a ball of rice with a cup of aromatic fruit tea) aromatic yes ,but not a cherry bomb.

It has got a nice balance,behaviour and consistancy.when i pause my sipping cadence to breath and swallow my spit,i get a light cavendishy burley sweet bitter taste like a white wheat beer,,;not necessarily nutty,but perhaps more lemon grassy and water chestnut..

The cavendish scent up my nose is pleasing and sweet and on my palate comparable to a fresh crisp sugar snap (a cross between a runnerbean and sweet pea in a pod type green thing) with a yeastyness natural and nothing fortified,artificial or synthetic.

The room note:I smoked outside BTW and sometimes the wind gave me a good passing pedestrian impression of my activity;its mildly pleasant, it doesn't shout very loud.

I think this might be my first tin of this. This is preferable to some of the peterson aromatics and less than others , i would say its in the middle but its a good middle.

I don't think i will actively go out of my way to buy another tin though.. This has mild nicotine. Although a bit spikey in the beginning on the light up it hasn't bitten me. It doesn't convey itself much to me.

What can I really say about this? :- This tobacco doesn't do very much for free ; its like one of those teachers that points the way only and leaves you alone to your own imagination. Its like a gateway , transportive ,you forget you are smoking it, but the subconscious pleasure evoked from the sweetness seems to translate into other pleasurable unrelated constellations of thoughts memories and ideas. It lets you bring your own thoughts to the table and you come round later and realise you entertained the tobacco rather than the other way.

I feel i should realistically give this 2 stars because anything else is more about my imagination whilst smoking it ,which doesn't come in the tin.

Similar Blends: Other Peterson Aromatics.

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Looking for a change of pace from my usual non aromatics Sunset Breeze was recommended by a friend. As with all aros the tin note was evident from the start, a fairly strong ameretto note. Room note has proved to be quite pleasing, certainly more appreciated by my companions than would normally be the case. Cavendish appears to be the slightly dominant tobacco here over Va and Burley but only fractionally. The ameretto is evident throughout the smoke but does not over power the tobacco flavours which I like, but this blend does try to bite if rushed so it pays to take it slowly. What I really dont like about aros in general is the total mess they make of my pipes and this is no different.

Sunset Breeze is a middle of the road aromatic blend, perfectly smokeable but nothing outstanding, mild in strength and taste so it wont get you leaping out of your chair, but if you are looking for a smoke which will not upset the people around you while still giving a pleasant enough smoke then you could do much worse than this offering from Peterson.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Had a bowl of it this morning, and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. The Amaretto casing is matched well with the Virginia, Burley, Black Cavednish tobaccos. It has a very strong flavoring in the tin which carried over well into the smoke. I'd venture to say with a good glass of scotch or maybe even Bailey's the Amaretto would have been even more pronounced. It burned very evenly and down to the bottom of the bowl. Overall another very delicious aromatic from Peterson.

joel750 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joel750 (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Just got this today & i really like this tobacco! The smell of Amaretto is present when you open up the tin.This smokes great, good flavor w/o being overpowering, little to No Bite & gentle on the tongue,Stays lit and you'l taste the full flavor.I lit a bowl and i bought some Hot Chocolate and i noticed something really weird: while i was drinking the hot chocolate and smoking this, the aftertaste of this stuff started to taste like you just ate some Freshly roasted hazelnuts! Really Delicious! I highly recommend this tobacco.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is great stuff! Amaretto seems to have a natural cherry overtone and it makes this blend remind me of an almond and cherry Danish pastry. It is wonderful as a first smoke of the day with coffee. The flavor has no artificial taste and the leaf smokes very well. I recommend this blend to aro smokers.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This and Peterson's Luxury Blend were the first two samples of vacuum sealed tins that I tried a few years back. This stuff tasted pretty good as I recall but was a bit rough on my palate. The tin aroma smells good enough to eat...if it only smoked like that.

The nicotine content of this mix was a bit lacking for me and it smoked a tad harsh. Not bad for an aromatic but just didn't ring my bell. I've since moved to "topped" rather than cased tobaccos...they always seem to burn cooler. I didn't get much tobacco flavor out of this as I was expecting.

Not too bad, however. My rating is based only on the merits of an aromatic blend and therefore, IMHO, Sunset Breeze merits 2.3 stars. Sampled in a Peterson System Pipe.

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I simply loved this blend. Excellent taste and room note, I would smoke it again and again. Highly suggest trying this one out.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Sunset Breeze... Not just another Amaretto scented aromatic. But a almost tasteless Amaretto scented aromatic. Nothing but hot air that wants to bite. I can get more taste from a empty pipe that needs cleaning. This would be a joke, if it were not for its high cost. To each their own.

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (14)

mmm... I just love this stuff. My favourite of the Peterson aromatics. You really get the Amaretto from the tin through the bowl and it is a very civilised after dinner smoke. It remains a mystery to me how Peterson can get this so right and get something like the Sweet Killarney so wrong.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (32)

Peterson's Sunset breeze is just excellent,our daughter brought me back a 50g tin from dulin a few years ago,from the moment i opened the tin i knew i was going to like this pipe tobacco,and i was not wrong,i just love it,the room note is fantastic,easy lighting,a joy to smoke,to relax in the armchair with Sunset breeze it just great,everyone that is near always makes a comment of how wonderful the aroma it is,one of my top tobacco's.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (30)

For an aromatic fan, I do believe that this would be the peak of fine taste. The casing is not overwhelming, and the actual tobacco is very mild. Also, this is one that your wife will love the smell of.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)

Four Stars. This is one of the best aromatics I've had the pleasure of smoking. If you don't like amaretto then obviously this is not the blend for you.

First off, the blend is radically different when you first open the tin then from later on when it has had time to more or less air out. As I have encountered with other Peterson aros, when first opened the flavorings are super concentrated. The first fews bowls were simply incredible. The sweet amaretto was forefront as I smoked throughout the bowl and by the end it tasted like marshmellow. A definite dessert smoke.

After several bowls, the concentrated flavorings in the tin settled down and I was left with a first class aromatic. Nice sweet taste throughout with an equally pleasant tobacco flavor underneath.

I usually smoke English/Balkan blends and like a nice aromatic for a change of pace.

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Ok, not bad....Nothing more. I would not rush back to smoke this.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Maybe because my tin looks different (red label?) than one in the photo, this tobacco does not have any quality to be "recommended". It is good-looking, fine smelling but without even of trace of pleasure of smoking. Boring, boring, boring!

My rate is pure 1.

Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Peterson tobacco leaf is always top quality; Sunset Breeze is no exception, beautiful leaf of burley/Cavendish. The tin note is heavily cased Amaretto/Almond fragrance, without artificial flavoring agents.

Taste, flavore and room note are exactly the same as the tin fragrance, no surprise. This is a heavy aromatic premium pipe tobacco that tastes burley, smells truly fantastic, its much better if aged for at least 3-4 month or more(tin opened).

This is a unique fragrant tobacco, excellent to impress ladies and friends around you while still enjoying good smoke, but completly nonsense if smoked alone.

A must have for your aromatic collection.

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Tin aroma and room note are superb. A very nice Amaretto/Almond casing is prevalent. However, because of how wet this stuff is, it's hard to keep lit without a thorough drying out. Additionally, because of the amount of flavorings and/or casing present, there is an acrid aftertaste that stays with me for what seems like days and burns the tongue like the dickens!

Bottom line: This is a tobacco that's for the standers-by and not the smoker. I'll finish the tin, but won't buy another.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Like Pipe4ever I opened a tin of this sometime back, smoked a few pipefuls and lost the tin in one of my drawers. Now that I'm in my summer mood, hankering for something with a differrent and more robust flavor I thought I'd get it out again.

Wow! This has a lot going for it. I love the cut, it allows me to pack my pipe for exactly the right draw, so that I can smoke this slowly and keep it lit with minimal attention. The quality of the tobacco, as others have noticed, seems very good. It smokes very evenly and the taste remains consistant right down to the last puff without bitterness, souring or aftertaste. In the tin the Amaretto aroma is strong, in the smoking its with you at medium strength the whole ride with a kind of creamy, soft almost "fruity" flavor. The taste seems to morph a bit throughout the bowl, with variations on the central flavor. Each smoker will have to decide subjectively if they like the taste but it's a great departure from the usual chocovanilla stuff. No bite for me and very non-tiring. I can finish a bowl and immediately be craving the next. I'm hanging on to this blend!

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Sunset Breeze is a very pretty looking tobacco with a great tin aroma. I found that is smokes wet and bites badly straight out of the tin. After drying it out it handled much better, but most of the amaretto flavor also disapeared. Now I just get an occasional whiff of amaretto and a very mild tobacco flavor. Regular smokers of english blends are probably going to dislike this, aromatic lovers will appreciate SB but will prefer something else, and novices will likely be turned off by the bite. In my opinion, a premium aromatic should have more going for it.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This one is for the aromatic and amaretto lovers only. If you are not one of them keep your distance!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Sunset Breeze came to me as a gift over the festive season, along with two other Peterson aromatics. Being curious about the Amaretto flavouring, I decided to try it first.

The tobacco is reasonably dry in the tin and visually an attractive melange of light and dark shades. The tin aroma is sharp and winish, not at all reminiscent of Amaretto, at least to my nose. In the pipe it burns reasonably cool and dry, and the aroma is nearer caramel. Other than the cognac in Pembroke and rum in some blends, I find alcohol and tobacco do not always marry happily.

I am fond of Peterson products, smoking University Flake, Old Dublin, Irish Oak and Sherlock Holmes with pleasure, but find it difficult to get very enthusiastic about Sunset Breeze. I am close to finishing the tin, but will not acquire another on my own.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (17)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I felt a bit uneasy ordering this one.... Amaretto tobacco just sounded a bit off to me. However Peterson has got it right. This is a smooth low-biting aromatic that goes great with a cup of coffee. Would buy again.

Update 1/12/08---- As thyis tin has matured I found the bite increased exponentially. I was disenhearted, but I don't give up on a tin. I mixed in some straight black cavendish as an experiment and it vastly reduced the bite, and made it so much more enjoyable. I'll keep it at three stars, because I still love the tin and room note!

Light Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Light (7)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Not being a big fan of aromatics, this was a leap! But as with most things... gotta give it at least a try before you can shy away from it. Nice tin, putting you just in the right mood: a sunset breeze. To my astonishment when opening the tin I did not get the yucky feeling that I have with overpowering vanilla variants.

Falling in love with this aroma is easy! And funny enough so did the non smokers in the house including my wife, they all found the room note fantastic. She now asks me when I'll smoke that amaretto in a pipe again every other day or so.

Make sure to smoke it slowly! I know that's a task in itself, you just want more and more. If smoked too quickly, it will run hot fast and a fair bit of moisture develops.

All in all a very nice blend, full and sweet with a nutty undertone. A must try even if you're biased against aromatics!

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I enjoy this aromatic quite a bit. The underlying leaf is of good quality and unlike your typical over cased aromatic, you can actually taste it. Smokes dry, stays cool, doesn't bite, and in my opinion..has an essence of berry? taste. At the bottom of the bowl I do notice a buttery/nutty taste. Never bitter! This one passes the wife test with flying colors as well. So whats not to like here? Oh, I would imagine this may haunt a pipe after awhile..but you knew that.

If you normally shun aromatics give this a shot..You may like it.

10/08/2004. As aromatics go... this is a winner! Relatively dry, packs well, lights easily, makes lots of tasty smoke. It is lightly cased so puff slowly to avoid tongue-bite. Definitely one-note flavor as are most aromatics. You can taste real tobacco under the flavoring. Not gummy, no gurgle. I do smoke this in a cob or Grabow for the sake of my better pipes. I bought this in bulk from my tobacconist.

06/09/2006. Since I have by now smoked the tinned version, here is an update. While it is a quality and very tasty Aromatic I grew tired of it rather quickly. Four stars for "Aro" lovers, two and one-half for the rest of us.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Let me start by saying I have or had two regular blends to which I always turn. CAO Dan's Blue Note for a mild and out in public smoke and Peterson Old Dublin for a good flavorful english smoke. After trying Petersons Sunset Breeze I must now say it looks like it might slowly inch out Blue Note.

Well conclution if you like Blue Note and want better burning qualities ( if this is possible ) and more tobacco taste but still all the flavoring and aroma this is the one for you.

I now stick to the Old Dublin but for cold days, ( then its Mac Baren Navy Flake ) and then I go for Blue Note or Sunset Breeze depending on what flavor I want but sunset breeze I think is winning out as the public around non pipe folks tobacco and the burning qualities are helping it too (cooler burning).

=Update=

Petersons has a new lable for its blends and the sunset breeze is red. It is the same quality and flavor but it has more yellow and orange leaf and less black. This if anything has made it better. Well new but just as good.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (29)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Another aromatic blend, not very original, but with a high quality. Is very nice to the the people next to you.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (43)

This is one of several aromatics I've tried with a strong plum type sweetness as a background. There is an amaretto flavor. I prefer the Gold Blend over this. Also, the sweetness of this stayed in my pipe even through several subsequent bowls of english blends!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think this is one of those love it or hate it blends. Put me in the latter category. It burns hot and the amaretto flavoring is not to my liking.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I like this one. It is a nicely blended tobacco and can be very relaxing. I find it does tend to bite a little if care is not taken, but that is the way of aromatics. I will probably go back to this from time to time.

OlFacty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OlFacty (11)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

When I was younger someone was always around to tell me not to judge a book by its cover. I guess the same could go for some tinned tobacco (but not Sunset Breeze). I bought Sunset Breeze because the tin art reached out and grabbed me.

Moisture content was just right out of the tin, and the aroma was full of almonds.

The cut of Sunset Breeze made it relatively easy to pack. The tobacco held a light nicely and smoked straight through the bowl leaving a light-gray ash.

Emerging flavors begun after a slight bite, essence of amaretto similar to the tin aroma. The flavors stayed pretty consistent through the bowl and finished nicely.

This is a great blend and has found it place one of my woodworking blends for in the garage with a slight breeze.

So far I have not received any comments on the room note but from what I noticed the aroma was sweet. I will follow up as I get comments from others.

I must say it took a full tin for Sunset Breeze to grow on me. Now I can say that I would recommend this to all. This will become one of my stocked blends!

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Although I have graduated to natural tobaccos, I still appreciate a good aromatic on occasion. Unfortunately, this one just doesn't do it for me. The tin aroma and room note were fine, but I couldn't keep it lit (despite various pipes and moisture levels) and the flavor put me in mind of potpourri. I'm sure that some absolutely love this blend......Please--take my share.