Aromatic Choice makes pipe smoking as easy as possible. Filling your pipe is effortless, and smoking it is even easier, especially if you are a less experienced pipe smoker. The tobacco is a loose cut blend of golden Virginia, the modern Mac Baren Cavendish, and it is smoothed-out with a unique Burley. The flavor profile comes from selected Virginia tobaccos, which add an inherent sweetness to the blend. Some of the modern Mac Baren Cavendish is added to provide a light, sweet taste with faint hint of tanginess. The air-cured Burley balances the recipe for a wonderful smoke. The taste of Aromatic Choice is reminiscent of the flavor of ripe exotic fruits. It tamps well, smokes great, and offers a pleasant and relaxing time. The packaging is made of environmentally-friendly recycled cardboard with a handsome reclosable collar, which aids in keeping the packaging sealed after opening, so that Aromatic Choice tobacco can retain its soft and natural moisture.

Notes: Introduced in 2000.

Formerly called "Mild Choice". In 2002 it was decided in the EU that tobacco products are to carry larger warning texts. In that same law it also says that words like "Light "and "Mild" cannot be used on tobacco products anymore, hence the name change.

BrandMac Baren

Strength
Taste
1.9
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

A nice enough aromatic blend, fruity in taste, similar to Larsen's No 50. Very Danish, smooth, no tongue bite, not particularly exiting (I much prefer Original Choice), but a definite crowd pleaser. In a way it's Cube with the sweetness toned down to a palatable proportion. Smoke it slowly, without thinking too much about it. An aromatic fan should very much enjoy this. Other folk might find it just OK.

PS Hate the cardboard pouch color!

Bram Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bram (4)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

One of the blandest blends I've ever smoked. I bought this hoping it would be sweet with a nice aromatic note, but it turned out smelling of cigarettes (Kent in particular) in the pouch and rather bland when smoked. I searched for the nutty character of most Mb blends but was quite disappointed. It lacks character and delicacy but might appeal to those looking for a milder aromatic without heavy casing. Not my type.

Pipe Used: Angelo briar, Medico Husky

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm usually nice about blends I personally don't like, and give opinions based on a rounded fact.

But this blend was just foul. Sorry, but that's all.

I guess say it's because of the tongue bite and chemical taste.

I will say on good thing, it does smell good, and in a tobacco way. Not too much of a chemical smell.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, H.I.S Egg Bent

Purchased From: Local Shop (J & R Fielding Co.)

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Not as bad as over the counter aromatic blends. but... its close. Nice aroma but no flavor to speak of. Just tastes like hot air. Burns wet and leaves the pipe sticky. Nice aroma but no tobacco flavor. Not even any flavor from the casing. Just hot steam like smoke.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This is the worst MB blend I hae ever tasted. It tastes like the toacco had been replaced by shredded pieces of the same cardboard they use to produce the pack. Sorry Mac Bare, but this one is realy terrible.

Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This is an ultra aromatic mild and heavily cased tobacco with very good aroma and room note but without any memorable taste or flavor, other Mac Baren blends are much better. Try Mixture

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Reading all the reviews of this blend has confused me - not that I need any help.

All I know is that this tastes like tobacco in a muted sort of way and can be smoked hard and fast with little distress to the tongue.

If you enjoy light aromatics that are more on the Burley side of the tracks, then I can certainly recommend this Mac Baren's offering.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

They say you can judge a man by his enemies. I?ve used this technique successfully several times on this list to select tobaccos. Why oh why do nicotine addicts try ?mild? blends at all? Yes, this is mild because it is SUPPOSED to be. I?ve smoked cigars and pipes for 30+ years and find nothing wrong with this blend. It delivers as promised and then some.

It starts sweet and aromatic, but not excessively so, progresses to more complex, yet mild flavors of hardwood nuts, and finishes with long anticipated stoved virginia sweet/sour notes. If anything, it needs a bass note of something to stretch the spectrum. It never turns acrid or bitter.

Like the first reviewer, I use this as a reward for evenings when I need to sleep later. A wonderful relaxing smoke it is, and I love the sweetness, be it virginias or casing; it matters not. It would not be an all-day smoke, though; the taste would stop being special.

This was my first MacBaren and remains my favorite. Yes, they all can bite, but I find that to be a matter of technique and experience more than anything. The package claims it to be easy to smoke, and I agree. It seems oblivious to careless packing or lighting or whether you use a cob or Savinelli briar. Because of this, I?d recommend it also to those new to the pipe. Neophytes should also be cautioned to dedicate a pipe to flavored blends such as this so as not to risk carryover when they try english or balkan blends as another ?veteran? reviewer discovered. In fact, I devote a specific pipe to this blend so as not to introduce foreign flavors, welcomed elsewhere, to this one.

I suppose the packaging is a bit full of itself, but no more so than many others with pretentious names and allusions to the leisure class of yachts, clubs and royalty. At least it sets itself apart from other pouches, as well it should. I wish it came in 100g tins.

I?d recommend this to any smoker who can appreciate an upscale mild aromatic and especially to those who don?t need a hit of nicotine to get by.

Update 1/05 Yikes! What IS this now? It went way over the top and I couldn't finish half a bowl. Did they unplug the flavor sprayer? Old package fine, new one gross. Something is rotten in Denmark. Really: my waning old stock is still great. Goodbye old friend...

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

With this tobacco, I had one of those moments I think every pipe smoker has from time to time. At last! I've found it! The tobacco I've been waiting for! Perhaps this blend will be dismissed by veterans, for it is not very strong and seems to be cased liberally. However, when I return home after a day of teaching english to, on average, about ninety small Taiwanese children, all I want is a sweet, rich pipe that doesn't ask very much. One can gravity feed, stuff, or mash this tobacco into the bowl and puff like a locomotive, but all is well. I've made this my reward tobacco, something to look forward to. Highly recommended, especially to novices such as myself

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I guess I would be the "veteran" that Benjamin was talking about. I have a problem with MacBaren's consistent and heavy-handed use of the honey/cheap liqueur casing. This blend is in a recycled-looking corrugated package, apparently to appeal to the younger, hipper crowd. I wouldn't mind the marketing bit, but I found this to have no tobacco flavor, and an unpleasant taste. It gunked up my pipe, and it took three salt-and-alcohol treatments to get rid of the stench. Of course, this is merely MY opinion....

Gustaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gustaw (4)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

It was my first ever tobacco and I'd recommend it for newbies. All of my friends loved the smell and, although the taste wasn't noticeable, I enjoyed smoking it. I never bought it again and I don't intend to, but I have a good memory of this blend.

hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (12)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

No tongue bites, nice aroma with no tobacco taste...Doesn't feel like i'm smoking tobacco but feels like breathing a room spray...I saw better aromatic tobaccos of mac baren...

Morhamster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morhamster (8)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

lemon taste is different. if you like aromatics you should try this at least once (not twice!) but otherwise it offers nothing different.

keremgulermen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keremgulermen (10)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Its my first tobacco, so I connected this tobacco in full of emotion. But, its really unnecessary and average tobacco to smoke, maybe only smell. :D

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This is another aromatic I can locally find.

It smells like lemon, it tastes like lemon, it burns like lemon. But why, wife loves the smell.

You can find a better aromatic I am sure.

UncleDoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleDoc (8)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

It completely depends on your taste. This blend has some kind of bizarre fruity smell and taste. First few bowls I really hated it but now I'm getting used to it! And also my friends like it. Very easy burning so you don't need to light it up again and again. Very mild with no bite. Good choice for those who seek something different.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

a good intro aromatic baccy, but simply put, I would advise beginners to start with Vanilla Cream.

Pipe Boiler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Boiler (11)

This is my first tobacco review having just started the hobby so having now tried 8 tobaccos I feel able to usefully comment. I had no trouble packing and lighting (thanks you tube) and keeping it lit but I did manage to burn a cave into the bowl of my first and not very cheap Peterson pipe. I put that down to technique. The tobacco was light on flavour but did not burn my tongue and the smell was pleasant enough. A pretty goood introduction into pipe smoking but I dont think I will buy it again. There are so many alternatives.

Sonaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sonaris (10)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Sorry folks but this is clearly the worst Mac Baren I have tried and had to ditch it after the first couple of puffs. As you open the pouch, its almost reminiscent of opening a packet of tea. I have personally nothing against tea, but if this is an 'Aromatic Choice' they certainly could have done a better job. The tobacco quality is just fine as with all Mac Barens but the casing leaves much to be desired. The room note is not too bad but it not all about the room note is it? If one would be stranded on a desert island, it would be better if one had to drink or chew it rather than smoke it! Apologies to Mac Baren, I really wanted to like it but I just can't.

j4nier38 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
j4nier38 (9)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Just as a starting side note I am reviewing the "Mild Choice" version of this. I bought this because I went to the tobacco shop and they did not have what I originally went there for and so as I was browsing around I saw this and having heard mixed things about it I decided to see for myself, it also saved me a few bucks which is helpful to a poor college kid. When I first opened it the tobac seemed dry but I packed my pipe and puffed away. After a couple of bowls Ive decided this is pretty good stuff as far as aromatics go. In my opinion the casing is done right, not too much, but its still there. Definately not my favorite but good for social situations or a change of pace. It also doesn't really bite and I was puffing pretty hard. Pretty good stuff overall.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a good mild aromatic tobacco, recommended for beginner smokers. It does not bite the tongue and the aroma is very pleasant. Smoke it easily and you will love this one.

Scottgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottgun (11)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Smoke the corrugated pouch instead of what's inside it. At least it will have a taste.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I recommend this for aromatic aficianados. Fruity, but still some real tobacco taste. Not wet and goopy like some other aromatics. Non-biting, the tobacco in the pouch I bought was somewhat dry; thus, air-drying prior to lighting was unnecessary.

This blend stayed lit well and was virtually trouble free. I wholly enjoyed the 45 minute smoke and look forward to my next bowl.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a typical MacBaren blend with heavy use of their favorite honey like casing. Sweet with no tobacco flavor at all.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Mild Very Strong Mild Tolerable to Strong

Funny, I got both Mild Choice and Aromatic Choice and they are very different. Mild Choice is a milder version of the Original. So let?s talk about the Original first. It is very very aromatic. In fact so much so one can only taste the heavy creamy sweet vanilla with just a generous non-detectable tobacco flavor. Great to impress your friend with and fun to have around, I guess. But then they have the Aromatic Choice. It certainly makes me wonder, how can this be more aromatic then the Original? As I found out, once the bag is open, I am greeted with smell of assorted fruits, especially peach. I see a few yellow/brown leaves and that?s it. Once fired up, it is peach flavored aperitif all the way. Sorry, but this sway a bit too much from the purpose of pipe smoking.

pedro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pedro (7)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh yes the legendary mac baren bite - that's probably why mac baren has introduced this tabacco by mentioning on the nice wrap (no tonguebite). It's true you wont't get bit but you can smoke hot "lemonized" air....