Hand-blended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity.

Notes: Produced in 1992, 1994-present in limited quantities. Tinned in July of the respective year.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Packaging50g or 100g Tin
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
3.8

Finished the tin I first cracked in 2007, smoked occasionally over these 4 years. It was interesting to note the changes in the blend over that time, however I never smoked a fresh tin so I can't compare. On the other hand, any tin you might find is obviously not going to be new!

This was a beautifully sweet blend, but also dark and rich and tangy. Tin aroma was fairly robust with the smell of aged and fermented virginia leaf. Room note was excellent. The flavor of this matured over time and became even more rich and tangy, while becoming less sweet. Baked bread and plums overtook hay and citrus. This leaf really seasoned! Burn characteristics improved as well. The tobacco was fairly moist upon cracking the tin and I mason jar'd it in that state, drying out only the amount I needed to fill a bowl each time. It required a good hour plus to dry sufficiently and 2 hours was optimal. Not the finest virginia I've ever smoked but still excellent. I bought the tin when it was new but would pay a premium price for another. Well worth it!

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Merry Christmas to all my friends here at tobaccoreviews.com!

1995 Christmas Cheer was the oldest one I could find in my cellar. I popped the top of the tin last night and took a whiff. Nice, deep, rich and tangy smelling. I removed about a pipeful and set the broken leaf aside to dry a tad, then stuck it in my pipe and let it sit overnight.

The first thing I did this morning was remove the tobacco from the pipe and put it in a brand new Ruthenberg sandblast that Santa had left under the Christmas tree for me. What a pipe and what a first smoke of the day!

Christmas Cheer 2005 is similar to the others; sweet, tangy, a tad on the bitey side and mellow. Marvelously aged and most certainly recommended to the Virginia Flake fans among our group of hobbyists.

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)

Please take this review with a grain of salt as I was only able to smoke one bowl of this from a friend at a recent pipe event. Having said that, this was an amazing smoke! Great depth of flavors with prime Va. sweetness and spice. Wish I could find a tin somewhere, as my oldest CC is from 2000!! If you can find it, it's wonderful right now!!

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I got lucky in being able to smoke some of this over the season. Very lucky.

Beautiful aroma, wonderful, full VA taste. If you can find some of this, smoke it and savor it!

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

To my regret, I've none of this in my cellar. To my good fortune, I've got a friend who shared some of his with me. The tin note quickly faded, the leaf was a little dry and the smoke was sublime - rich, complex and satisfying. This was certainly a good year and time has been generous to it's development. This is rare and fine smoke. If you get the opportunity, get some into your pipe.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an Altinok Smooth Canadian

smoke'n joe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke'n joe (6)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This was a special tin that I found just for Christmas 2005. I had a "pipe buddy" visiting that I hadn't seen for a while, and being Christmas I figured it was the perfect time for this tobacco. This being the oldest pipe tobacco that I had yet aquired, I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was WOW! Even after 10 years this was definitely a McClelland tobacco. You know that heinz 57 smell that some of us hate, some of us love, but is in all MC tins? It was here in full force. The next thing that I noticed was the beautiful bloom on the tobacco. These little, greenish-blue crystals give every pipe full a natural sweetness that only age could create. All in all I really enjoyed this tin, so much so that I'm having a hard time finishing it... I just don't want to see it go. So if you ever find one of these "early tins" of Christmas cheer pick it up. If you don't like it, I'll be happy to take it off of your hands!