Classic medium Navy Cut with "Red Sun" topnote.

BrandWessex
Blended ByWessex
Strength
None Detected, Very Mild
Taste
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I had no problem with the flakes sticking together, as some other reviewers noted, but they were quite crumbly, making "fold and stuff" a problem. So I simply rubbed it out, since that seemed to be the state it wanted to be smoked in. The tin aroma was of a winelike hay, and the color ranged from very light to medium tan. One other thing I noticed was that this dried out in the tin very quickly, and I recall having the same experience with Wessex Burley Slices. Perhaps it's the square tin? That was fine, too, since it smoked best in a crumbly state.

This winey, grassy note came out in the taste. There was good virginia tang, typical of red VA, but the taste tended toward thin rather than the usual richness of red VA. That wasn't a bad thing, just unexpected. It was actually a good flavor, but I prefer a bit more richness. The taste was very clean but even though I could taste a topping, it didn't assert itself enough for me to really know what "Red Sun" means. It was mellow tasting but could have used a bit of stoved virginia to really take this one over the top. Then again, this is named Red Virginia Flake for a reason.

Good - very good, in fact - but not one for the rotation. It just lacked that last bit of machismo that I prefer or, alternatively, it lacked some condiment to spice it up just a bit and move it from its monodimensionality. Recommended for someone that truly wants a simple red VA.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A red sun top note? That's what the descriptive calls the flavoring. Having never tasted red sun before (that I know of, anyway), I guess that must mean lemony and peppery at the same time. That's the impression I came away with.

Wessex has always produced decent, if not outstanding fare. This is no exception. If you like Virginia flakes with a burst of Virginia flavor along with some punch and a little extra flavoring, then Wessex Red Virginia Flake may suit you.

It has an incredibly fast burn for a flake, especially if fully rubbed out.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

This is a lovely blend in a few ways . What I really enjoy about it , is that it is very straightforward and is a great representation of what Red Virginia flavor is ! Often times a Virginia blend will be just that [ blends ] and this is the best " teacher " as to what red Virginias taste like in comparison to other styles of Virginias . their is a very mild Top Note and I dont know what it is but I find it pleasurable and it doesnt distract from the flavor of teh leaf . In the tin aroma , there is a super mild whisper of a " ketchup " type aroma ... but nothing like a McClelland product that would be 100X that aroma . I assume that aroma is naturally occurring in Red Virginias and that McClelland goes out of their way to amplify it , where as Wessex does not ... and I think thats a good thing . It burns cool and slow and the flavor is not very complex , nor boring ... it's red Virginia and it's damn good . This is a tin I always have on hand , along with a Ketchupy type McClelland blend [ Tawny Flake ] , which I also love

Pipe Used: Many

Age When Smoked: Fresh and aged [ no more than 4 years ]

The red Virginia is mildly tangy with a few grass and earth notes. The sweetness is a little citrusy with a touch of dried fruit. I have no idea what the "red sun" topping is or what it does for this offering besides a mild taste of red wine. It has less strength and less deepness of flavor when compared to products like McClelland Red Cake. Has a mild nic-hit. Won't bite or get harsh. More of an introductory red Virginia flake. Breaks apart very easily, burns at a moderate rate with a consistent taste, and leaves no dottle or moisture at the finish. Has a very pleasant after taste and makes a decent all day smoke. Two and a half stars.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wessex - Red Virginia Flake.

Having reviewed Wessex's Brown Virginia and Gold Virginia flakes, I wanted to add this one to my reviews once it had arrived. So, it came a few days ago, and given I have some time to hand this morning here it is:

The flakes are quite thin, medium brown, with a tin note that has more of an aromatic hit than the smoke. Moisture's great, making rubbing/filling easy.

Like their Gold Virginia Flake, I enjoy the smoke. Igniting's easy, and the burn from it's good. I can't particularly identify the Red Sun top note from the description, nor do I really know what I'm looking for: what is Red Sun? The flavour I get is one of a ripe, tangy, slightly sweet, Virginia, developing a bit of a doughy taste after a third. There's just enough depth to it to keep it rich, without becoming heavy. The temperature from it's medium, and I get absolutely no tongue bite.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: lovely.

Wessex Red Virginia Flake: absolutely no problem with highly recommending it:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef; Friday pipe

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Very nice flavors in this flake. Some very tangy citrus notes, a touch of darker fruit, and a topping that is more sweet fruit candy-like than wine-like to my taste buds. Deeper into the bowl the topping fades a bit, but it's still tangy and sweet with some bread-like notes. A lovely smoke.

Mild to medium in body. Flavoring is very mild. Medium in taste. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought this on a whim online and was not too sure what to make of it. I am glad I did. I am a fan of flakes and this one is yet another one I am glad to add to my collection. The tin I got was a couple years old and had a very nice note. A wee bit of sweetness and a wonderful nutty aroma. The initial smoke was mellow and smooth. It lit well, stayed lit and burned down to a powdery grey ash. I will most definitely buy this again.

Pipe Used: Peterson P-lip 301

Age When Smoked: 2-3 years unslealed

Purchased From: Online

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I often find the Wessex offerings to be hit or miss, and this one was a miss. This has some red virginia oomph to it, it does not have the full red virginia character of some other flakes and blends, such as McCranies Red Virginia. There are far to many good flakes to sample to waste much time on this. However if this is all you have to choose from its not bad stuff. Just not remarkable.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

This is a light brown flake in a 50g tin, honey colored in overall appearance. The flakes are very thin, difficult to separate and can be a bit crumbly. The tobacco rubs out and packs easily, lights quickly and burns all the way to the bottom of the bowl with very little tending. Lordy, this is a good smoke. This is a lightly sweetened Red Virginia and I would classify it as a typical German made flake. The flavor is of a full, rich Red Virginia. The quality of the tobacco is exceptional. You get the distinctive Red Virginia tang right from the first puff. This tobacco has no bite for me, but it does have nicotine strength in the mouth and on the tongue. This is not a boring smoke as straight RV's can sometimes be. The RV flavor is extraordinary and gradually strengthens in nicotine and flavor as the smoke moves down the bowl. I have never smoked a better tasting RV. However, at $8.20 per 50g tin, I will not be smoking this everyday, but it will be one of those I always keep on hand for a special treat. Most highly recommended to the lover of Red Va. Paddy.

Although this was one of the better red VA flakes that I've tried, I've yet to find great enjoyment from any of them. In the tin, the aroma is of quality tobacco and the oils have stained the wax paper liner. The color ranges from golden to deep brown. Pressure/time have resulted in a solid cube of tobacco within the tin. The nice, chewing gum like layers of other flakes are absent and the tobacco is very hard to separate evenly. This is a major consideration for me since I normally don't rub out my flakes. Although a cool smoke, as with other red VAs, I found just to much VA tang after the first few puffs and couldn't consider this as an all day or steady smoke.