A zesty, full bodied, double pressed Virginia. Navy Cut.

BrandWessex
Blended ByWessex
Blend TypeVirginia Based
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
3.1
Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)

A bright yellow Virginia flake with an extremely light citrus topping. Nice Navy cut presentation, the flakes are meaty with a golden-brown texture. The moisture level is perfect for using right away.

Upon lighting, there is a slight citrus topping that is not constant in the smoke, I get a very zesty and tangy flavor that is not very sweet with hay like and grassy notes. Citrus and oats are also present from time to time.The smoke tingles the tongue but it's manageable. Overall a classic gold Virginia flake that would benefit a lot from aging.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Pleasant scent, but not as smooth or as satisfying as Orlik's Golden Sliced. This is more sour and spicy than sweet and I don't find it very interesting ( agree with those that say Oatmeal taste). This tin has about 6 months of age and I don't see great things happening with additional age, this tends to burn hot. Wessex Brown Virginia is better. I gave OGS 3 stars, so this is only two ( 2) and I won't buy again.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Nice simple virginia flake.. very much in the style of dunhill flake or orlik golden sliced.. it doesnt bring much to the table to set it apart from other virginia flakes, but it is nevertheless a good smoke and a nice presentation. its a bright tasting somewhat cereal like flavor. not too complex but not bad.

The usual pressed flakes like the other two "color" Wessex VA flakes. Tin flakes that aren't the easiest to load as flakes, but it was do-able. Definitely a golden-brown color with hints of dark. This worked best in a sort of modified flake fold and at tin moisture. Wessex tins are suspect in their vacuum seal and this, as with the others, came drier than most VA flakes. Fine with me - saves me some drying time and trouble.

This was probably the coolest and easiest to smoke of the Wessex VA's, and it had a nicely subdued but still present citrus flavor among the tang and oats. Not a complex smoke, but good tasting. I can't decide if there is added flavoring or not - there probably is, but it's still very close to a "straight" VA. I preferred their Brown Flake but this is a nice, lighter tasting version. I got a slight "spice rack" flavor from time to time but the overall taste was orange peel mixed with an oat cereal sort of taste. Not overly grassy or hay-like.

Recommended as something to try but all the Wessex VA's seemed sort of ordinary... nothing new here. Kinda pricy to recommend for what it is, but it's worth a sampling.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Wessex GVF… Appears to be a somewhat unknown blend, judging by the the number of posted reviews. Can't imagine why. Tin aroma is almost like a teriyaki / tobacco combination, thankfully not reflected in the smoke taste.

A thin and easy to rub out flake, (I us the rolled into a ball method) in need of some minor drying.

I found this stuff a bit fire retardant, and needed several relights, which is ok with me, because that's better than burning too hot, as others in this genre do. The smoke might be considered a bit thin when smoking for maximum flavor, (slowly) but for me, it's a fair trade off, for such fine flavors. A recliner tobacco for sure.

In the past I've used the phrase “ fresh cut alphalfa hay” as a description for other gold Virginias, but this one, almost made me think they may have really added some to this blend, wow, kind of dry tasting, a bit thin, interestingly unique, I like it… I can see myself visiting this one often.

Overall a mild and bite free smoke, with a just the right amount of complexity and vitamin N to make it a very worthwhile smoke. For its genre 4 stars. My personal rating 4/5

ark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ark (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I like this quite a lot. The flakes themselves are neat and uniform, and are easily rubbed out, or folded and stuffed. It tastes pleasant and naturally sweet, but will bite like a lion if you smoke too fast. nothing super complex here. I found it to be very similar to Orlik Golden Sliced, just less sweet and citrusy. my onlyy real gripe is that it tends to gurgle in the pipe. 3 stars

calboy8686 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calboy8686 (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

All I can say is WOW. Smells of toasted Almonds and oats in the tin. Easy to light, COOL TO SMOKE. I don't think I've had a cooler smoke, and even if you get it a little hot just from enjoying the taste, it's still very smooth. Only smoked a small bowl of it so far, but was VERY impressed. Will have to smoke a regular bowl later on when it's turn in rotation. Can't wait to try Red Virginia and Brown Virginia Flake as well. Much better than I had expected.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Tin: Strip of tobacco 1 1/2x3x1/16" with a sweet fragrant grain or cereal scent, of a dark golden hue striated with blonde to dark tan.

Preparation: While the tin I have is borderline dry, it seems to be at just the right moisture level. The tobacco has a slight sting to it, due to moisture. This masks a portion of the tobacco flavor. Drying it out for a hour diminishes this moisture effect and results in a tobacco in which more flavor can be tasted.

Be careful taking the sheets out; there is a tendency for it to come apart. As contrasted with SG FVF which is rather difficult to twist apart, GVF is easy to rub into really nice ribbons.

Taste & Aroma: Nice, soft and sweet, with a flavor and aroma of grain, with a minor citrus aspect.

Nicotine: Medium to strong

Room Note: Medium lemon cereal

Overall: A good, possibly all day, smoke. Reminds me of some GLP Fog City selections such as Montgomery. 4 stars.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Here in middle Tennessee the mercury is pushing 100 with moderate humidity. The breeze doesn't whisper, it barks.

The dog days of summer are here. No better time to crack a six year old tin of Gold Virginia Flake. Perfect moisture right out of the tin. Full rub out with a few chunks. First charring light is bitey and bright. Second charring light settles down a wee bit. Final light and tamp brings out some great citrus notes on top of hay, grass and white grapes. A little brown sugar as the smoke progresses.

No dairy products present, nor any confectionary flavors. A nice agricultural smoke with plenty of fresh produce in the mix, along with some grains like toasted oatmeal. I would bet this stuff kicks butt in a cob!

DGT while checking my eyelids for light leaks in the hammock.

A tall, ice cold Arnold Palmer as an afternoon eye opener. Relight. Even better. Dry as dust, no gurgle or steam. Medium gray ash and four (count 'em) shreds of dottle. Pipe is sweet and dry and ready for another round of Gold Virginia Flake. Me Too! Me Too!

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

This does not seem to have been reviewed for a while, I managed to buy a couple of tins and did so thanks to this site, otherwise, I would never have heard of this Flake. For sometime I have been looking for a replacement for Dunhill Flake, and this is about as close as I can get, it doesn't have the buttery taste of Dunhill, but this is a nice light early morning smoke. The tin I opened was not on the moist side, on the contrary, it was very dry, it more crumbled than rubbed out, but still gave a good cool smoke with just enough nicotine. I Know, there are those that claim Orlik Golden Slice has to be the closest, as Orlik now own the receipe for Dunhill. But IMHO, this is much closer, and you don't need the asbestos gloves with this as you do with Orlik. I can see myself buying more of this and stocking up on it. Most definately Four **

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

This is a solid Virginia flake. It has that wonderful sweet VA taste and it lasts throughout the bowl. Smooth and cool smoking, it has a slight spicy note to it that is most intriguing. A good, straight flake. Give it a try.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Very handsomely presented medium colored flake. The tobacco completely fills the tin with no air space. The tin has been in my humidor for at least two years and is fairly moist. After rubbing out enough for one small bowl, the pipe was set aside for about two hours drying time. First light was a bit sharp perhaps due to excess moisture. The second light began a very nice smoking experience. This flake reminded me a good deal of Dunhill Light Flake (the older version) but with less tang to it. It burned well to the bottom with no surprises and a good deal of pleasure. I should note that the unlit smell was somewhat unusual and reminded me of slightly fermented apples. This flake lags behind Marlin Flake and Best Brown in my opinion. After the remainder of the tin air dries a bit longer I may update this review.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Whereas Red Virginia flake has the tang and fermentation taste, Golden Flake is somewhat milder but with a citrusy flavor and hints of lemon. An excellent tobacco with no tongue bite. Again, a great tobacco for beginner Virgina smokers.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This flake comes in a 50g tin, navy cut, medium brown with flecks of gold. The aroma in the tin is light honeydew. It rubs and packs easily and burns well all the way to the bottom of the bowl. This is a good example of a German made, highly refined or processed Virginia flake. A light, neutral sweetener has been added. All in all this is a mild sweet smoking experience. The sweetener does not interfere with the taste of the tobacco, but the Virginia flavor is quite mild. It is very easy on the tongue with no bite that I can detect. This might be the perfect tobacco for the smoker switching from aromatics or burlys to Virginias. It is a bit too sweet for me and does not carry enough depth of Virginia flavor, but that may just be the nature of gold Virginia which I find usually works best in a blend. This is an expensive tobacco for me to buy, relative to other, more satisfying smokes. I might keep it on hand when I want something smooth, sweet and kind to the tongue. Paddy.

Before smoking, let this tobacco dry out some. You will be rewarded. The House of Wessex does a credible job with their tobaccos, and this is an elegant smoke that requires skill and patience to smoke properly.

Although I tend to completely rub out my flakes, the sight of all the lighter (thus hotter) leaf in this blend begged for a coarser, chunkier rub out. Once properly dried and smoked slowly, there will be rewards!

This tobacco is tasty, rich and packed with nicotine - ahhh!

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

With this blend, Wessex gives us nicely prepared, chewing gum like layers of pressed tobacco that is pliable enough to be packed without any rubout if chosen. The colors range from light yellow to darker brown with medium brown in predominance. For a higher quality tobacco I was surprised by the amount of almost white, ground stalks that were intermixed. The tin aroma is of natural tobacco. The initial few puffs are in fact zesty as advertised but if smoked at a reasonable pace, a rich, cool VA taste develops. Proceed slowly or this beast will attack your mouth. In my Peterson System pipes and other full bents, I felt excessive moisture developed and ruined the taste and overall experience of the last 1/3 of the smoke. In my view, there are more enjoyable choices for the straight VA flake smoker than this one.