Naturally aromatic pipe tobacco flavored with traditional West Country Cider.

BrandWessex
Blended ByWessex
ContentsCavendish, Virginia, Black Cavendish
Strength
Taste
2.2

Wessex makes some great, often underrated blends, so I was excited to try the original. Upon opening the tin, I was reminded of my grandfather's wine cellar. While I have fond memories of that cellar, that fondness didn't transcend to this pipe weed. This blend just didn't work for me. I found it to burn on the warm side and the flavor was off putting. The tobacco is of good quality, but like most aromatics, if you are not a fan of the topping, it doesn't matter if the quality of the tobacco is good. So, if you like cider in your tobacco in addition to your glass, then it's worth a try. One other thing I noticed that lovers of aged tobacco should be aware of and that is the packaging of the older tins. I had a tin of original from 2004 that was labeled “Wessex Brigade” with “Classic Virginia” on the top portion of the label. If you are looking for an aged tin of the “Classic Virginia” this can be confusing at best. Buyer beware.

Well, I can give this three stars. To me, it's a fun mild aromatic. It is not the greatest quality tobacco I've smoked by a long shot-smokes fast and hot, but since it does not bite me, I can find a way to enjoy it. My tin is from 2004, nearly six years old. I was going to wait before I popped it, but since I am drinking hard cider (one of my favorite libations) tonight, I just had to try a cider-flavored tobacco! I'm not sure if I would recognize the cider if it didn't tell me on the tin, but I taste a certain maltiness. I can taste tobacco too, so I don't consider this one to be gooped up by any means. Ash is dry at the end of the smoke. Again, does have a fault in that it smokes fast-a pipe that would take 45 minutes to smoke with a S. Gawith or McClelland Virginia smoked in 25 minutes with this. But hey, tasted nice and is good in the nose as well, like an aro should be. I do not plan to stock up on this one, but will buy it again if I can get it at a good price, or maybe just one more time, some time after I have finished this tin, for its uniqueness. Cider, who woulda thunk it?

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the hottest tobaccos I have ever smoked!!! No matter how dry it is, what I cut it with, or what size pipe I smoke it in it burns like napalm. The flavor when you can taste it through the scorching heat is pleasant overall. It tends toward the tangy and bitter. I would not recommend this tobacco

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

Not many aromatics catch my attention - at least, not favourably so - but I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by this mixture. Like a lot of aromatics (if one can indeed call this blend an aromatic), it will scorch your tongue if you puff too fast. But if you can take time to appreciate this tobacco, you'll be rewarded with the flavour of high quality Virginias and a hint of apple cider.

Although this tobacco packs, lights, and burns well, it does benefit from a couple of hours drying time before smoking.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Wessex Original is long well-cut ribbons of Virginia and Black Cavendish with a unique and pungent fruity aroma in the tin. If I hadn't known, from the labelling, that the flavoring agent was "regimental cider," whatever that is, I wouldn't have been able to identify the aroma. There is a bit of musty hay-barn Virginia smell as well.

On lighting, you are treated to a uniquely tart and often sweet-and-tart smoke that bites like a badger and often turns grousy and bitter along the way. I have tried this in many kinds of pipes, large and small, briar and meerchaum, at every puffing cadence, and can't get it to work. Maybe you can. It is certainly a unique smoke and I think it could be delicious under conditions I can't seem to provide.

I plan to let this dry out drastically, which may take some months as we are now in steambath weather here in Dallas, and I'll try it again. Wessex makes some good blends, and I think they wanted this one to be good, so maybe it's worth another shot. Updates later if anything changes.