An english blend with Latakia base

BrandGatlin-Burlier
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Latakia
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first tobacco I tried from Gatlinburlier... And I would like to say it was as good as I thought it would be! They obviously aren't the first ones to combine sweet and smokey flavors (bourbon, anyone?) but they deffinately innovated it into something else great. It packs well, smokes cool, and tastes great! If you are a dedicated english smoker, you may be put off by the fact it isn't extremely strong in the latakia department, but if you like aromatics as well, it is a fair comprimise between the latakia and toasted cavindish.

The room note is a bit between an english and an aromatic (as one would expect) but it makes for a nice social smoke. The latakia will not overpower those around you but you still get the satisfaction of that smokey kick.

My only reccomendation would be to step up the latakia a bit... But then you would sacrifice the sociability of the smoke.

jon39 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jon39 (10)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this in a 2oz. sample pouch at the Gatlin-Burlier about 3 or 4 years ago, tossed in in with the other samples I've accumulated and forgot about it till now. I needed a change from the usual and thought I would give this a try. What a suprise!! I smoked it all up in short order! This mixture is good. I don't know if it was the cellaring or what,but I reccomend you give this a try! I'm ordering more.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great for the days when you want an English, but not one with such broad shoulders. This is a soft semisweet smoky smoke. GReat for all day, and especially for those quiet moments.

Purchased From: The GatlinBurlier

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)

For those who like quasi-aromatic English blends or who are just starting to experiment with latakia, I would recommend this in a heartbeat. Like most Gatlin-Burlier products, it poses little danger of biting your tongue and has better-than-average burning characeristics. This is a blend that requires numerous bowls to appreciate, as I've found that it has a lot of complexity that doesn't reveal itself in a briar until you've thoroughly seasoned your pipe with it. For a long time, it was also my favorite blend when breaking in a briar exclusively for English tobaccos. It's nowhere near as strong as, say, Nightcap, but it builds a respectable cake in very little time.

This is basically a more powerful version of, say, Frog Morton.

Bowser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bowser (13)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first review posted on this site is done on a high note. When I first tried smoking a pipe about two-and-a-half years ago, the mere smell of English-style blends put me off. With a different attitude, though, I find this a very enjoyable blend. It packs easily, smokes clean, and doesn't bite the tongue too much (being a recovering cigarette smoker, I smoke a bit faster than I should). I smoke outside almost exclusively, and the smell doesn't put off the people around me. The taste is good and smoky, which, I believe, is due to the Latakia content, but not so strong it punishes me for inhaling. This may not be the elusive "perfect blend," but it's one I'll keep on hand for a while.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Pleasant

The Gatlinburlier is a great shop with a really helpful and friendly staff, but I have to give a thumbs-down to this blend. This is an overly-aromatic English mixture. I like English crossover blends such as Frog Morton, but the casing here is over the top. If you like aromatic blends with just a hint of Latakia, then this might light your candle. But I ended up dumping half of the two-ounce bag of Cumberland that I bought.

Nevertheless, I look forward to returning to the store to try some of their other offerings.

PipeSmoker45ACP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmoker45ACP (11)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Cumberland is my favorite english blend that I have tried so far. It is a light english with a very nice taste. Lights great and stays lit with no tounge bite at all. I like to puff a little fast and really appreciate a blend that won't bite me. I have tried several of Gatlinburlier's blends and have liked every one, all of which will not give you tounge bite. I love the smell of this blend but your wives or ladyfriends probably won't share your enthusiasm. If your ever in Gatlinburg, Tenn. I highly suggest you give their shop a visit. A darn good smoke.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

this is my favorite of the 4 gatlin-burlier blends i have tried( the others are cave's cove cavendish, frank's blend, and gatlin-burley). there is a bit of casing present that lends a slight sweetness, but not enough to put off dedicated english smokers, IMHO. the main flavor present is a mild burley, with latakia also noticeable. it lights and packs fairly easily, and burns down to a fine gray ash. the room note is pleasant, and one of the main reasons i keep some of this one around. it allows me to enjoy a good english smoke around sensitive noses. cumberland would be a good blend for aromatic smokers wanting to try an english blend, or for english smokers who want a blend they can smoke in the house. 3 stars.