Light and dark ribbon cut with a fair amount of black cavendish.

BrandGatlin-Burlier
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
Strength
Taste
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I found this to be a pretty good aromatic. The tin note of vanilla, brown sugar, sugar cookies, and general sweet baked goods translated into the flavor with no bite. This blend burns well, not overly hot, yet leaves a bit of the characteristic black Cavendish "goop" in the pipe.

Where this blend really excels, in my opinion, is when mixed 50/50 with a good burley. You'll get the nice room note with a bit more tobacco backbone. I like to mix this with Mac Baren Burley London Blend for a satisfying smoke that still pleases those around you.

I would say this is the second best GB aromatic after Mountain Mall Mix. Recommended for aromatic smokers.

Similar Blends: Gatlin-Burlier - Cascades Cavendish.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a sweet aromatic that has served an an introduction into pipe smoking for a lot of folks in East Tennessee as well as plenty of visitors who pass through Gatlinburg. My taste has veered sharply away from aromatics over the years, but I still like to keep a couple of ounces of this around for nostalgia reasons. For aromatic smokers, this is bliss -- it burns cool, doesn't bite, and has a notably sweet flavor that reminds me at times of vanilla or cotton candy. It's a couple of steps up from most bulk tobaccos of its type. I wouldn't recommend this for non-aromatic smokers and I have since encountered aromatics I prefer over this one (Autumn Evening, for one), but it's still well worth trying.

As other reviewers have noted, the staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable, and anyone passing through this neck of the woods should make it a point to drop by Gatlin-Burler (as well as Knox Cigar -- I'm fortunate enough to live within a half hour's drive of both stores).

Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A gentle sweet smoke with a flavor range that includes brown and white sugar, a hint of honey, vanilla, and a very, very mild oat note. Tastes like something a sweet bread company would make, and smells like it just came out of the oven. Burns well, cool, even, and barely leaves any noticeable dottle. Not much taste of the tobacco itself here, but you won't mind. It could be considered a beginner's blend because it is so mild, but regular smokers of aromatics will find this a pleasing all day smoke that may take their minds off more intensely flavored aros.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (20)
Very Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

If this is not Lane 1Q labeled for the store, I would be quite surprised. Light and golden ribbon cut, excellent moisture level and a room note that makes friends very easily. Burns very cool and to the bottom of the bowl with no bite. There is absolutely nothing but good to say about this pleasant, light aromatic blend. I have never passed through town without picking up an ounce or two and it is a great way to introduce a friend to the hobby of pipe smoking.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the store jar

Purchased From: Gatlinburlier, Gatlinburg TN

Similar Blends: Lane 1Q.

Pipeguy93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeguy93 (3)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is just kind of an overall mild blend. It is definitely enjoyable, but the black cavendish takes the front seat. Is pretty darn sweet, but I do have a bit of a sweet tooth. This is the only blend I have smoked in my truck since I don't want it to smell of tobacco. It leaves the same extremely plesant room not, reminescent of freshly baked sugar cookies. As mentioned before, it does have a pretty strong vanilla taste. I would recommend it for somebody starting pipe smoking since it is a good mild blend. However, those with more refined taste may find this blend too "run of the mill".

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

After nearly forty years avoiding Cavendish blends, I have tried a few lately. I had the treat of being in Gatlingburg this past weekend and was able to stop in at the thoroughly enjoyable Gatlin-Burlier (a nice, old-fashioned tobacconist that is very well stocked.)

This is perhaps the most enjoyable Cavendish I have ever smoked. It is exceeding smooooooth. It is a bit springy to pack, but well worth the extra moment or two that it takes to fill a pipe. I will be buying more.

BaritoneJP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BaritoneJP (4)

In my opinion, this is a mild blend and sweet - cotton candy? I didn't taste that but sweet, yes. The room note is great but is does not taste as it smells. Good blend to keep a pipe reserved for however.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Plain vanilla! Just another vanilla ribbon cut blend. Did smell wonderful in the room though. Will someone tell me when and why blenders started to put vanilla in everything? While is does have a great aroma, and once you are halfway down it is creamy and well...vanilla. It burns well but it left a really sticky gunk in my pipe that I will have to clean out or everything will taste like...vanilla.

This is NOT 1Q. I am sitting looking at both of them. 1Q is straight burley with a little...vanilla. Same color, and is a cut much like PA. This cavendish is light and dark and ribbon cut and just tastes like...vanilla. If you like...vanilla, you might like it but buy plenty of pipe cleaners!

LtMac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LtMac (21)

Cades Cove is a beautiful area in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is very near Gatlinburg, Tennessee, home of The Gatlinburlier. Cades Cove Cavendish has been mentioned in previous reviews as being Lane's 1-Q pipe tobacco. Although very similar in bag aroma, room note, and flavor I personally believe there is enough difference to prove to me that they are different blends. This has a very mild abd sweet flavor. One reviewer compared the taste to cotton candy and I tend to agree. This is too sweet and lacking in real tobacco taste and nicotine for me. It has a great aroma and room note however. This tobacco strikes me as one that a brand new pipe smoker might choose based on jar aroma in the store and then get home to smoke it and be disappointed that it doesn't taste as it smells. It is a tobacco that I somewhat enjoyed from a pipe and tobacco store that I just adore. Two stars for Cades Cove Cavendish.

tygear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tygear (2)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

My 1st tobacco and pipe that was not drugstore blend. After a few years I started smoking mostly VA/PER and some english but stil enjoy this on a weekly basis. Great with a little perique.Great staff still smoke pipe Richard sold me and have several more they're all great smokes.

vati1werner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vati1werner (3)

I had the distinct pleasure of visiting the folks at the Gatlin-Burlier for the first time last Christmas and I was welcomed like an old friend. The folks there are extremely friendly and make you feel quite at home. As an aside, their house pipes are of an exceptional quality - quite the good value.

On to the tobacco: Like all their blends, CCC, has an excellent burn quality especially for an aromatic. The blend is too sweet for my taste but if that's what your after, then this blend is up your alley.

bigbowls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigbowls (12)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

IQ by another name? I'm not sure exactly, but with a description of fire-cured, it is very similar in looks, taste and appearance. That's okay though, it's a good smoke and one that I go back to again and again when I'm looking for something sweet. If you like to experiment, take a pinch of Penzance or some other heavy latakia blend and mix it into the bowl. The flavors will really pop out at you.

deelee74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deelee74 (4)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

There are no fine tobacconists near my home. We have a couple of shopping mall tobacconists within driving range. But these shops employ college kids who run the place as a typical retail establishment. When you talk to these people, you had better say "cigar, pipe tobacco, etc. Because if you say Latakia, burley, etc you will get nothing but a blank stare. The tobacco isn't the highest quality there either. So I buy most of my tobacco online. I was searching the internet for a new tobacconist when I came across the Gatlin-Burlier. I had used Tobaccodirect, Just for Him, and other well known tobacconists in the past, but this was a shop I have visited once. I bought a sampler with 3 blends, incuding Cades Cove Cavendish. When I opened the bag, the aroma was more candy than tobacco. It was overly moist but the tobacco looked nice. It packed easily. It took a while to light, but once it was lit it stayed lit throughout the whole smoke. The taste was incredible. The furst puff was flavorful with a sweetness that only enhanced the flavor of the tobacco. Later, the sweetness gave way to a spiciness that resembled a Jalapeno's heat (the nicotene maybe??). When the spiciness comes, the bowl seems to become wet with a syrup-y sweet/spicy liquid that tends to gurgle in the bottom of the pipe. Maybe my mouth is just watering a little too much at the tobacco's flavor, but I think it's more likely the flavoring (anyone else experience this?). It's happened every time I have smoked this blend. Therefore, I have begun smoking this with a filter pipe to block the liquid from travelling down the pipe stem and becoming a problem. This is an impressive aromatic with a wonderful room note. It's one of only about 3 blends that I am allowed to smoke in the house. My wife loves it. I love it. I will be buying this in bulk soon.

PapaDuke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PapaDuke (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Not much can be added about this tobacco that wasn?t previously covered by the other fine reviewers here. What I would like to comment on is how I came to be introduced to this wonderful smoke. While on vacation in Gatlinburg Tennessee I set out to only do two things. After living through a day of skiing I proceeded to find the Tobacco Shop I had researched on-line ?The Gatlin-Burlier? http://www.gatlinburlier.com This was to be my vacation, and what a vacation it was!

I would highly recommend anyone venturing that way to pay a visit to this store. After smoking a few suggested bowls with the manager Richard and talking tobacco endlessly I walked away with several NEW BLENDS of tobaccos (my idea of souvenirs), a far greater knowledge of the Tobacco world, and a new friend.

Four Stars to Richard and the Gatlin-Burlier!

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Although I live almost exclusively on Balkans and Orientals, when I have a yet for something aromatic, I go to this. All the Burlier blends, whether aromatic or natural, are comprised of qualit leaf. While the blend is aromatic, it is not one of the overly aromatic, slightly chemical types, as are popular on the continent. This is a mild homey type that smells like cookies. The taste is sweet and smells like the rich earthy tobacco barns of my youth. If you are in Gatlinburg TN ever, look up the Gatlinburlier. They have many more blends than are here and they are the friendliest pipe store staff I have run across on two continents.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

This one is true to it's description. It's appreciated by non-smokers (sweet smell) and burns pretty well. It can be a bit moist towards the bottom of the pipe, but I expected that. It's economical and although it's not my favorite, I have several friends that will smoke nothing else and order it in the 5 lb. bag!

HOBBIT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HOBBIT (5)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

IMO this is one of those "beginner" blends. It's a fairly equal combination of medium brown ribbon cut, and broken black cavendish. The package aroma - an artificially sweet, flowery/fruity, cotton candy concoction- could well induce a diabetic coma. On the plus side, it packs nicely, but arrives a little on the moist side.

The moment of truth: Burns OK, considering the moisture level, and stays lit as well as any other aromatic. Surprisingly it smokes on the cool side, and has a fairly full flavor for such a mild smoke. But that flavor----bubble gum/cotton candy/Kero syrup----if you're looking for tobacco taste, don't look here! And don't smoke this in your best pipe either ( the taste may haunt you forever ).

Room note: My ten year old son (sugar junkie), thought it was great. Enough said!

This might be good for a beginner, because of it's easy smoking traits, but it is certainly not my cup of tea.