GH's version of Lane's 1Q. Aromatic mixture cased and top dressed to produce a round sweet aroma.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
Packaging50gr Tin, Bulk
Strength
Mild, Medium
Taste

2.6
loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

"American Aromatics get goopy, European Aromatics get bitter."

There's a truth I had not known. (thanks, I should have read your review sooner.) Dad sent me some of this, since he found it bad. The grumpy farts in the machine shop thought it smelled great. It did, in fact, smell great.

I won't knock this, since it was free, and I smoked it AT WORK. (In Your Face Mr. Man!) But, my oh my, I'd never buy it.

That's not very helpful, is it? As I remember, American Delight is sort of a caramel ice cream kinda thing. (Is that what the Brits really think of us? sheesh!) I like a good aromatic once in a while. So far, I haven't found one.

For reference, the Dad of which I often write, likes McClelland's Baklava in place of this. (That stuff has a room note as nice as a cream covered bean.)

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I bought it out of curiosity because it comes from Hoggarth, who I consider one of the top three (if not the best) manufacturers of pipe tobaccos.

It contains Sweet Virginia, Burley and various Cavendish. It has a flavor of caramel with a slight vanilla and of course the foamy taste that almost all Hoggarth smokes have. It is certain it does not bring about any tongue biting, as it gives off an amazing scent in the room.

A pleasant interval from the Orientals I smoke, without reaching the exact opposite of fully aromatic. I will take two more boxes, just to spare. It contains no Latakia, something my friend Peter feared when he smoked it.

P.S. I think it has a slight taste of whiskey, without being absolutely positive about it.

Pipe Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Guy (23)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

It's been a long time since I've smoked Lane 1Q, so I can't really compare the two.

Tin description: Mature, sweet VAs, burleys, and Cavendish. Topped with Vanilla, caramel and fresh fruits.

This description looked so good to me!

The tobacco is very, very soft. It is cut into long, thin ribbons, and the smell is sweet and a little flowery. Because this tobacco is so soft, it can be easy to overpack your pipe.

This tobacco is very gentle. No bite and no goop, which is great for a tobacco that supposedly imitates the cheaper Lane 1Q. Room aroma is pleasant: fruit, caramel and vanilla is what you will get. I don't taste much of anything when I smoke this, so I will classify this as "Extremely Mild (Flat)" in the rating.

This tobacco would probably make a good beginner's tobacco due to it's gentle smoking qualities and pleasant room note. If this tobacco had more taste, I might buy more, but I will instead finish the one tin I have.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Is a good aromatic. For Me, it is sweet and it haves notes of fruits, cocoa, caramel and vanilla. Rassembles Captain Black White or the Royal, but is better, although less sweet. Low Nicotine, as other Flue-Cured. I enjoy.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a tasty fine smelling aromatic. The smell is somewhat remiscent of Lanes 1Q, but not exactly. While 1Q is somewhat sticky to the touch, this GH AD is not sticky, and left no finger residue during packing. This hit the mark for me in taste, smell, and had no tongue bite.

Trooper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trooper (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Mostly scentless and without taste. Not much smoke and didn't leave a noticeable scent in the room afterwards. I prefer something I can taste and more aromatic. So this was definitely not for me. But if you're in the market for something tasteless that you won't remember was in the room 10 minutes from now this it.

revdoggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
revdoggy (2)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I like CB royal, or 1Q, but I don't like the goopy tar left behind in the bowl. This is suppose to be a comparison to CBR. It does not leave the goop behind, but is nothing like CBR. All I can smell is the aroma of play dough. Though I won't admit to tasting play dough, I imagine American Delite's taste is similiar. Don't waste your money or time on this one. If you like 1Q, stay with it.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

EH! Oh well, another European Aromatic bust. Luckily, I just tried a bowl and did not pay for this. American Aromatics get goopy, European Aromatics get bitter. This one was no exception. Not my speed at all.

Helmsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helmsman (18)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is a great blend for a change when you just want to puff away on a aromatic. This tobacco will yeild to you and will not bite. I enjoy smoking this when reading a good book. Smooth, almost no taste and a very nice floral aroma. I have some Lane 1Q and American Delite is nothing like it. Recommended for novice and advance puffers.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Well, yet another fantastic blend by the masters at Gawith,Hoggarth & Co.!! Having become addicted to Top Black Cherry as my favorite aromatic, I thought I would give this a try as well. In a word Fantastic! VERY mild, a great all day smoke for someone wanting something very simple or a perfect tobacco for the beginner. I am a die hard VA/PER lover, but this, Top Black Cherry and Bob's Chocolate flake will be kept around my home for as long as it is available! Also, much like the previous GH tobacco's mentioned, this is a real crowd pleaser! Everyone around you will love it!! Highly Recommended!!

=UPDATE 7-22-06= I have to add one BIG warning to anyone wanting to try this wonderful tobacco. If you try it, and love it as I do, do NOT buy this blend in bulk. I ordered 8 ounces recently and it came to me MUCH drier than the tinned version. And it lacked the depth and flavor that you will get from the tinned version. It is a complete dissapointment in bulk. Still highly recommended, but ONLY the tinned version! While more expensive to purchase the tinned version, you will experience no dissapointments!

KCorona Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KCorona (2)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I received a sample of this in a small ziploc from a kind ASPer. One whiff of the bag revealed an aromatic that smelled very much like Lane's 1Q a/k/a Capt. Black Blue. However, the ziploc was expertly labeled "Gawith Hoggarth". It took a quick Google to figure what was going on, as I had never heard of this blend before. So as it turns out, GH has a line of "American Blend" aromatics, including this one. Wow, a British version of American drugstore tobacco! Initial "pouch" aroma was full. This blend is a ready rubbed cut, mostly black and dark brown tobaccos. I feared a goopy experience awaited me, as the blend came to me overly moist and required significant drying time to get to my desired moisture level, which is on the dry side. It packs easily, but lit with some difficulty due to moisture. Once lit, the familiar taste of Lane's 1Q topping sprang forth. GH really nailed the taste on this one! However, the similarities ended there. While goopy in the bag, this stuff burned evenly and left a nice fluffly ash -- quite the opposite of the good Capt. Further, no matter how hard I overpuffed, it did not bite or become overly wet, again unlike the Capt. Regardless, no real tobacco flavors ever emerged. In conclusion, while aromatics are not my bag, this blend is a vast improvement over Lane's, as it appears to have quality components with less adulterants. The room note should please LSSO's and non-smokers alike. I recommend it to those who like Lane's 1Q or for a beginner. (12/01)

tcvarlh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tcvarlh (6)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Bought some for my Lass to try. She's of the same opinion. Burnt toffee. That's it, Burnt Toffee, no fruitiness, no taste, no tobacco, no anything 'cept burnt toffee. Possibly the least appetizing 'baccy I have ever come across including Landtabak and some sort of Libyan junk I had when out thataway. Some folks may enjoy it. My Lass and I do not.

Similar Blends: Burnt toffee.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 54

Rated Percentage = 90%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, a little too much fruity Flavor, has a little After Taste

Lukasaurus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lukasaurus (9)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Worked my way though a fivers worth of this stuff a few years ago whilst at University. Memories are nothing but fond, with the stuff smelling fantastic both out of the packet and lit.

Sweet (whilst not overpowering), Hints of vanilla, smooth, even burning (although requiring a touch of drying first) and a wonderful sweet, aromatic room note.

Cant reccomend this enough for a beginner to pipe smoking, may go buy some more soon to reminisce!

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Very Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Err.......Crap.

Like smoking burnt marshmallows..

(That's probably the least I've written in a review since I've been here)

Ohio_Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ohio_Pipe (1)

As a very occasional pipe smoker, I found this blend quite nice. It was mild, no bite and did have a pleasant aroma. I would recommend for new smokers.

adampc22 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adampc22 (1)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

i started pipe smokeing with this tobacco and i like it very much i still smoke it almost everyday and i would reconmend it to a new pipe smoker the only down side in my book is it tends to smoke a bit 2 hot sometimes

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Wow, this blend gave me a flashback to my early pipe smoking days when I use to frequent the "Pipe Dream" in Marblehead Mass. I believe the blend that Ben sold that tasted like this one was called Danish Pastry. Defintely flavored and definitely an aromatic.

Yet, I kinda like this change of pace. I doubt very much that I will smoke more than one or two bowls a week, however, it is a refreshing change of pace. Especially during the Summer months.

It does remind me also of Capt Black Blue, and as KCorona stated above it is much less goopy than the aforementioned.

Geez, all of a sudden, I am back in the late seventies with a small GBD pipe, (and hair!)

Now, it is usually Kendel Dark in an old' Charatan Extra Large, lol.

Last note, my wife likes the scent of this blend, that's the first time in a long while that I have heard a positive comment from her on one of my blends. Might be worthwhile keeping some of this on hand when the kids are out. ;)