a blend of burley and lightly laced with latakia and top-noted for flavor.

BrandGatlin-Burlier

3.1
BaritoneJP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BaritoneJP (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The guys at the shop say this is everyone's favorite. However, I must not be everyone because I didn't like it very well and I gave it the whole 2oz before I made my mind up. It is what the description above says but I would leave out "top-noted".

Monarchist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monarchist (4)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Today I smoked my second bowl of this blend and I find it to be an enjoyable smoke. If it had just a bit more Latakia to it, it could really be on my list of favorites. Of course this is easily remedied with the addition of some more Latakia, and I believe this blend could readily be used as a base for something very nice.

The flavor is, well... soft Burley with just a hint of Latakia. It is a mild smoke as far as I'm concerned, but seems overly moist and needs some drying before smoking, as it does tend to bite a little if not smoked carefully. It's the only tobacco in my current rotation that can produce pipe gurgle, and does have some trouble staying lit, especially towards the bottom of the bowl, where it seems to become quite damp. This blend smokes fairly cool throughout most of the bowl (again I feel the moisture at the bottom of the bowl causes a bit of harshness), burnes to a fine white ash, and has (to me) a pleasent room note.

Okay, as I've described above, this is not, in it's present incarnation, anything really special, just a good unobtrusive choice for an all day smoke. If I were a smoker of aromatics, this might be my non-aro eqivilent of 1Q. It will certainly have a place in my cellar for that reason, as well as use as a base for blending.

I hope this helps.

I smoked this while the spent the afternoon restoring a 100 year old Peterson that I came upon and it just seemed like it was gone before I knew it, and I was smoking a large billard. I really liked this tobacco, it had flavor from the start to the finish but was never too hot. It had an easy draw and stayed lit very well in spite of me putting the pipe down occationally. I did taste the Latakia, but it was more like a spice and not dominent. The flavor was nutty sweet and I never got any of the vanilla others mention. To be truthful it tasted like my old Amphora Brown with a touch of Latakia. I could see this being an all day smoke and a regular go to for many. I would have no trouble living on this stuff. I am learning to like this companies house blends a lot.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Somewhat recommended, IF and that's a big IF you love aromatics. This one is supposed to be heaven for aromatic smokers. For me, it's vanilla-flavored tobacco and I can't tell much else. Yeah, the latakia and burleys are there, but that cloying, annoying vanilla is just too much for me. Yuck. Maybe I should just accept that I don't like aromatics finally. I think I must. Ah well.

LtMac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LtMac (21)

I first discovered Gatlin-Burley a few years ago while visiting The Gatlinburlier pipe and tobacco shop. I asked for a blend with latakia and this was suggested by the man behind the counter. I'm certainly glad that I took him up on his suggestion because this has become my favorite pipe tobacco. I always keep at least a pound on hand. I live in Tennessee, but on the opposite end of the state from Gatlinburg. Whenever my friends or co-workers or I visit Gatlinburg I always make sure at least eight ounces of Gatlin-Burley makes the trip back home to me.

Gatlin-Burley has been called by some as an "American English" and I tend to agree. It has a mild burley and latakia flavor with just a hint of aromatic top note that provides a pleasant room note for those around you without infringing on the base flavors of burley and latakia. It does seem to have PG added but it never smokes wet or goopy in my experience. To me, the flavor, strength, and nicotine level are all mild to medium.

Anytime you have a chance to be in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, be sure to stop in the upper level of The Mountain Mall and visit the exceptionally friendly staff at The Gatlinburlier and be sure to bring a pipe with you so that you can sample the house blends. You may very well find a favorite in Gatlin-Burley as did I. By the way, you might also want to know that their house pipes are great smokers at a reasonable price.

The Gatlin-Burlier shop, the staff, and the Gatlin-Burley blend all rate four stars in my opinion.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

UPDATE -- Something about the recipe has changed over the past couple of years. The flavor is the same, but what was once a velvety smooth smoke has turned into something with a harsher texture and a bit of bite. I'm thinking the base tobaccos may have changed somewhat, and not for the better. I'm knocking off a star due to this, although in all fairness it's still among the top tier of American Englishes -- I just no longer feel comfortable describing it as the best of the lot.

ORIGINAL REVIEW -This is the best example of a traditional American-English blend that I've ever tried, and I have tried a LOT of them in my lifetime (although C&D has some comparable offerings). Gatlin-Burley is this B&M's "house blend." As I indicated before, it's an American-English concoction that somehow manages to become more than the sum of its parts. It seems to be the most basic of mixtures, consisting only of burley, a splash of latakia, and some kind of sauce. The burley itself is delicious: cool-burning, nutty and with a decent jolt of nicotine. The latakia (Cyprian, of course) is just powerful enough to make itself known, which is how it should be in this kind of mixture. Taken together, these components would create an above-average blend of its type but nothing spectacular. What sets Gatlin-Burley apart from the pack is the light topping that's applied. This top-noting, believe it or not, manages to lift this mixture into the realm of a four-star tobacco, a bona fide classic that represents the absolute best of its genre. I don't know what it is, but it works. It's not the least bit fruity, and seems to basically accentuate the natural flavor of the burley by adding some much-needed sweetness and enhancing the "nuttiness."

On the technical side, this is close to being the all-elusive perfect smoke, and I do mean perfect. It lights with no problem, burns at a medium speed and usually won't go out unless you set it down. This stuff doesn't bite at all, and it will satisfy your craving for nicotine, as well.

Is it the best tobacco out there? Lord, no. There are plenty of better mixtures that fall under the categories of Virginia, English, Balkan, Va/Per, etc. I can even think of a burley blend that I actually like to smoke more -- C&D's Old Joe Krantz. But for what this is, it can't be beat.

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This may be the fabled "aromatic for non-aromatic smokers" that I've long hoped to find. The base seems to be a lightly cased burley to which an ample amount of latakia (Cyprian, I believe) has been added. The result is a thoroughly satisfying nutty-sweet-smoky experience -- think one of those round, Sara Lee butter pecan coffee cakes heated over a campfire. While moist in the bag, it burns well, and packs a noticeable nic-kick.

jmartindale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmartindale (22)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Gatlin-Burley is an aromatic Burley with flavor enhancements and some soft Latakia. It also has a fair share of PG on it, so drying it out to improve its burning characteristics only goes so far - it'll still be sticky after hours of sitting out.

In the pipe, it's a uniquely pleasant smoke with vanilla overtones and a distinct sourness which is more like a dill pickle versus the sour notes from a fine Balkan. (The Latakia makes it through now and then - it could use more, actually.) Strange, I know, but somehow all this works together to produce a blend that is a success on several levels: it's mild, it doesn't bite, it burns well (despite the PG) and oddly, it satisfies.

I really like G-B, but the "aromatic with English overtones" genre is a crowded field including some awesome offerings from Rattrays, C&D and others using a slightly more natural approach - hence the 3 stars.

deelee74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deelee74 (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This week I had the pleasure of visiting the Gatlin-burlier for the first time as a pipe smoker. Monday I stopped in without my pipe. I had it with me in Gatlinburg, but I left it in the cabin we rented. I would never have guessed that I would have been able to try out some blends had I had the pipe with me. I mean, smoking?? Inside a mall?? In 2007?? But as of the first week of July, the anti-smoking nazi's have not taken away the freedom to smoke in this particular tobacco shop. So if you stop in, bring your pipe or buy one of their corncobs. Anyway, I thought I would try out their signature blend on the theory that it had to be decent or they wouldn't name it after the store. I bought a small 2 oz bag of Gatlin-Burley to take back to the cabin with me.

Oh my word!! After 3 bowls of this stuff, I am absolutely in love with this blend. It is the most delicious tobacco I have tasted in 15 years of smoking. The burley is nutty, a little earthy, very slightly spicy and just plain delicious. Then the latakia comes into play. It's definately present throughout the smoke. It has a nice smokiness about it, but in this blend it is really more of a condiment. It gives the blend a noble english flavor. However, Gatlin-Burley doesn't taste like a typical English. There is something added here. It's top-noted with something that I can't put a finger on... It's got a very subtle sweetness that doesn't naturally occur in Burley/latakia blends, so I am sure that this hint of sweetness is given by the flavoring. But the flavoring doesn't change or mask the taste of the tobacco. I almost wonder if the flavoring is nothing more than simple syrup (just sugar dissolved in water). If I knew what it was I'd put it on every blend I smoke!!! Whatever it is, it works.

Gatlin-Burley is an english in the sense that it tastes like tobacco, but I guess it can't be considered an english because of the added flavoring. And that is just fine with me. Call it whatever you want. I'm calling it THE BEST TOBACCO I'VE EVER SMOKED!! Perfect!! It's exactly what I've been searching 15 long years for.

I went back for another 2oz bag before leaving town. This won't last long. By next week I'll be out and that is a very bad thing indeed. I may buy a 5 pound bag of Gatlin-Burley very soon. Move over GL Pease's Barbary Coast, you have been bumped. This is my new Burley-based blend.

PapaDuke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PapaDuke (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Not much can be added about this tobacco that wasn?t previously covered by the other fine reviewers here.

What I would like to comment on is how I came to be introduced to this wonderful smoke. While on vacation in Gatlinburg Tennessee I set out to only do two things. After living through a day of skiing I proceeded to find the Tobacco Shop I had researched on-line ?The Gatlin-Burlier? http://www.gatlinburlier.com This was to be my vacation, and what a vacation it was!

I would highly recommend anyone venturing that way to pay a visit to this store. After smoking a few suggested bowls with the manager Richard and talking tobacco endlessly I walked away with several NEW BLENDS of tobaccos (my idea of souvenirs), a far greater knowledge of the Tobacco world, and a new friend.

Four Stars to Richard and the Gatlin-Burlier!

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)

This is similar to HGL, but it is not exactly the same (I don't think). This is cleaner tasting, more natural and with less topping. It would be a great introduction to English blends, because it is very easy to smoke, well behaved and with a nice room aroma, although the latakia is very subdued. A very good blend to start the day before moving on to that bowl of 965...

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Ahh my first tobacco. This was the first blend I ever put in a pipe and love it still. It is burley with latakia and some topping. The result is a nutty sweet taste with a portion of smoke from the latakia. This always reminds me of my grandfathers tobacco barn. It is a fine, companionable blend, and is my benchmark for an all day blend. The blend however is nowhere near as fine, though, as the staff at the GatlinBurlier. They are friendly and learned to a man, making the shop a Mecca for all serious pipe smokers.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is really a deceptively good tobacco! It's mild, has a sweet burly flavor with the occasional smokiness (latakia) and it burns well. I've tried it many different times, with a variety of pipes and I find it more consistent than most blends I've tried. Definitely a keeper..

PuffNStuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffNStuff (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I received some of this tobacco free when I ordered some pipes from the Gatlinburlier. My first impression was that this blend was fairly bland. After smoking a few more bowls of it, it grew on me a little bit. The Latakia is definitely present, but only as a faint hint. The burley which obviously makes up the bulk of this blend is slightly sweet and gives this tobacco a subtle toasty, nut-like flavor. It lights well and burns clean down to the bottom of the bowl without the slightest hint of moisture or bite.

Sold in bulk from the Gatlinburlier in Gatlinburg, TN (the Smokies), this makes a pretty good all day smoke. Although I wouldn't call this an outstanding blend (I would prefer a little more Latakia), it's definitely a pleasant smoke. If you ever visit Gatlinburg, it's definitely worth a try.

HOBBIT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HOBBIT (5)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I agree with the previous review, that this is an interesting and enjoyable blend. The top noting is done very artfully, adding to the flavor, but not taking over completely. The nutty/wheatie taste of burley comes through in a fascinating combination with the casing, and from time to time the latakia pops it's head out to say hello.

Gatlin-Burley burns well, tastes good, and has a pleasant room note. This would make a nice "all-dayer". Three stars.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Extra Full Pleasant

this is a tobacco that is aimed toward the smoker that wants an engish tasting blend with a pleasant aroma. did they succeed? yes and no. gatlin-burley has a very pleasant smell that my wife commented on immediately. the taste is good, but you definitely notice the aromatic topping, especially when you first light up. beyond that, the burley is very apparent, the latakia less so. if you want a lot of latakia flavor in your english blend, you won't like this one. i like the burley in this, and it has just a bit of a sweet note without being syrupy. it burns pretty clean in the bowl, leaving behind a fine gray ash. this is a good tobacco, but the search still goes on for an aromatic that will satisfy lovers of strong english blends. i do like the flavor and burn and found it to be a pleasant smoke. 3 stars.