Ribbon and coarse cut burleys, perique and red virginia. Shades of brown with the characteristic mustiness of perique.

Notes: Notes from Bob: The blend was named in honor of my grandfather, who was also my pipesmoking mentor and role model. He primarily smoked burleys, like Union Jack and Edgeworth Sliced. I cannot think of a time when I didn't see him w/o one of his beat-up pipes and the aroma of pipesmoke around him. In any case, I was reading the reviews of Haunted Bookshop and Norm Musicant indicated that he liked more red virginia in his blends. Norm is someone whose opinion I respect. I was still looking for a simple hearty burley blend that could hold my interest all day. So, a new blend.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

Nearly a year ago I tried my first OJK with some trepidation given the reputation it has of being a powerhouse burley. I packed my first bowl at the B&M without exploring the unlit aroma, just lighting up and driving away. About half way down the bowl I had to slow myself down, both vehicle velocity and puffing cadence. Wow! I did like this blend.

Being a normally English smoker with C&D Engine 99 as my favorite this was a complete surprise for me. While I did like the C&D Burley Flakes that I've tried, this was divine. Simply put, this is a 'tribute' blend to American smoking tobacco tradition - with the big three American varieties - Burley, Perique and Red Virginia. The unlit aroma is alluring, delicious-smelling without added topping or casing. Clean burn, the pipe cleaner emerges barely soiled and no tongue bite or rasped palates. Natural sweetness, nutty notes. It performs as one might expect from the burleys and perique with the Red Va being applied as a condiment. One might not pick it out in the smoke but most likely would miss it were it not in there.

I smoke this daily now. Several time a day and it has nearly replaced my VaPers. Another thing: this is the blend that finally kicked the cigarette monkey off my back - dead cold.

A classic in the making. Bob Runowski will be missed.

An unabashedly given and well earned FOUR Stars

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh production

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

Be careful with this one, because it can pack a wallop. I might go so far as to call it a gollyflopper, but I think that's a word I just now made up. This blend sneaks up on a body. The initial taste is the sort of high quality burley excellence that we have all come to expect from the Tarler/Runowski duo. But where Pegasus had sweetness, and Haunted Book Shop had musty oriental character, Old Joe has the bassy depth of stoved Virginia. Nice, very nice.

But then, all of a sudden there is a BAM, followed a SLAM, a BOP, a BIFF, and...a CRASH. Perique has entered the premises. From where, you don't know, but it is there, all right, and it has taken control. From then on this is a heady, exotic, Crowley-style blend that takes you to weird, mystic places and does not bring you home until it is damn good and ready. I'm not even sure if I have gotten back yet. All the same, Old Joe Krantz treats you cruel in a decent way. Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

This is a sofisticated Burley Mixture....I note much more the Burley (bitter taste) and the Perique (peppery taste) than the Virginias. I also note some spicy taste. I dont consider it very strong (is strong, but not very strong) in Nicotine, but in flavour and taste, yes! Full flavour and taste. Excelent mixture, I recommend for Burley and Perique fans. I atributed 4 Stars. Further evaluation: With dry weather, as in my City, after open the bag with this tobacco, it dries something and gains "body", the Burley is just more combined with the Perique. The result is even better!

Pipe Used: An Hilson, Canadian Shape.

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: TabacoBr, Brazil

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pouch note is heavy with prune, cigar leaf, caramel, and a very faint, almost "minty" smell.

Char and first draw. MAN THIS IS HUGE! Really bold, potent flavors of sungrown cigar leaf, oak, heavy black pepper, and charred meat (yes, meat). The aftertaste left on my tongue and roof of my mouth reminded me of peppered roasted squash/pumpkin and walnuts. An attempt at a retrohale/snork and a french inhale both left me thinking a suckerpunch to the nose would be preferable, or maybe I'm a great big pansy. The snork, however, did open up the earthy flavors I previously only tasted on my tongue after the smoke had left my mouth.

Room note throughout is pretty spot-on with the flavor, roasted walnuts and spicy cigar leaf.

As the bowl progressed, the squash/pumpkin/walnut flavors really grew to be very, very nice... a potent earthiness, mildly sweet, that I'd compare to a warm cup of black tea on a cold day... warming and mellow.

I can see why this is a favorite among so many, there is a lot going on here. I'm not man enough to make a blend like this an everyday smoke (I found it very strong), or even a smoke after breakfast like I did today, but this tobacco seems like it begs me for a glass of smooth bourbon on a cool and quiet Friday night.

Pipe Used: MM legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Unknown (gifted)

Chrisj2001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chrisj2001 (2)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

One burley to rule them all-- This is the burley that made me love burleys. It's nuanced and balanced in a way that can only be described and transcendent. The nutty burley and musty perique are made for each other. Always burns cool and dry and great for an all day smoke. Arrives smokable and really melds after 3 months or so. Highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Briar Billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE 03/04/11: I first was introduced to and reviewed OJK in 2006 and had not reviewed anything for quite a while so I decided to poke my head in and do so tonight. Guess what, OJK is still the bee's knee's and would likely be my desert island smoke. Actually, I think if this were suddenly the only pipe tobacco on the market I would continue to enjoy my pipes without a hitch. Thanks to the Nanny State intervention, a pound of OJK ordered on the internet is now cheaper than a tub of PA locally ($48, are you kidding me!?). This stuff rules. I'm currently kicked back with a Whitehall Grand National full of this mana from heaven, sipping on a cold PBR and listening to Tuesday's Gone. Here's to the KINGS of Codger Burlies, Bob Runowski and Grandpa Joe Krantz! UPDATE: I took a minute to review all my reviews and realized that my ratings seemed a bit inflated with most burley blends, and even a mediocre straight Viriginia receiving a four star rating. In an effort to correct this injustice and perhaps provide a curb as to my honest operational assesment of these tobaccos I have set about updating all my past reviews. Some I chopped down considerably; Old Joe Krantz WILL NOT be one of those. In fact, since my intial review I have probably smoked at least a couple pounds of this stuff and my review today would go up by about 10 stars if that was possible. This stuff and Prince Albert are the backbones of my tobacco rotation and the more OJK I smoke the more it truly shines as a frontrunner. The high perique content (25%) will scare away some people but in my experience everything else counter balances the perique and one hell of a fantastic smoke emerges. OJK is odd in the sense that a tobacco with such a nicotine wallop can be such a silky smooth smoker. If for whatever reason, you are averse to either perique or large doses of vitamin N I can't really recommend this for you but for me it is the greatest tobacco in all of recorded history and I'm serious about that. ORIGINAL REVIEW: Simply put, OJK rocks and is a great all around blend. A VA/PER/BUR, it would seem to have something for everyone it's heavy enough to satisfy the Virginia/English blend smoker and the Burley component makes it very friendly, smooth and smokeable to the burleyphile. This is simultaneously full and heavy but very suitable for an all day smoke. Very tasty, very good, and as others have said just about right in the nicotine department. Great for seasoned veterans and beginners alike. Old Joe will enjoy a permanent place in my pipe hutch seated right next to my old friend the Prince. You owe it to yourself to try this one.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

It's a shame I can't give this one five stars. This is the closest thing to a "perfect" blend I've come across. This is, as others have pointed out, perhaps the best American-style blend on the market today, which is high praise indeed.

Another reviewer described this as a "kaleidoscope of naturals," and I agree. The burley used here is delicious, and it basically serves as the canvas on which the virginia and perique get to show their stuff. As a perique lover, I can't get enough of this blend-- it's supposedly composed of something like 25% of that spicy leaf, and as the bowl progresses it shifts back and forth between a fruity/sweet flavor and a more spicy/sour one.

But this blend's smokability is what really pushes this to the top of my cellar. It smokes with all the ease of a drugstore burley and almost never bites, even when puffing like mad on a large bowl.

Like most C&D blends, I do recommend letting it age a few months and then letting it dry out a little before smoking it. I prefer to buy mine pressed, but it's great either way. I've also found that adding about 10-15% latakia makes for a very enjoyable American English blend, if you're so inclined.

Old Joe is a great smoke! I really enjoyed my recently gifted tin of this blend as its presentation was unique, tasty and not overwhelming in the Perique department. In fact, OJK is laced with just the right amount of that Louisiana product for me to tolerate. Some C&D blends overpower my taste buds with Perique, but not this one.

Although not busting at the seams with nicotine, there was enough of of that drug in this tobacco to perk me up.

Easy to load, light and keep lit; Old Joe Kranz offers a pleasant Burley taste with just enough Virginia to mellow out the flavor. Personally, I think OJK would be even better with no Perique at all, but as it is, I'll sure take a free tin anytime!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This blend is so obvious, it makes Britney Spears appear enigmatic. A full-flavored blend cool enough to smoke throughout the day if you have the constitution for this much perique. I think one shred more perique added to OJK would make only the perique noticeable.

Precariously balanced, rich, mildly complex and deep, OJK is something akin to Barbary Coast without topping and half the natural sweetness. This is worth purchasing for the tin aroma alone.

Have no fear of this duplicating Haunted Bookshop. They are alike in ingredients, but quite different in effect. I do not think most aficionados of this genre will fail to appreciate, if not love, this blend.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

This is a tobacco with a serious kick. A lot of Red Virginia, a lot of Perique, and a good bit of Burley. I like a lot of blends that others claim are pretty strong; University Flake, Wessex Burley Slice, Haunted Bookshop, etc. This old codger leaves them all in the dust. Usually, I can't finish a whole bowl in one sitting and have to take a break to finish it. Thankfully, it DGTs quite well and I have no problem coming back to it after the hiccup fits force me to slow it down.

I know that I'm making sound like a bad review, but I don't mean it to be. This is an excellent tobacco from a well-reputed blender and tobacco house. It's certainly not an all-day blend for me, but when I want to have my butt handed to me, this one fits the bill. If you can smoke this stuff with no real problems with the Vitamin N level, you're stouter than me! I would give a solid 3 stars on this one. I'll never have more than one bowl of this a day, however!

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (50)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is an outstanding burly blend. Love the peppery overtone of perique and the sweetness and aroma of the VA. This is in the running with GLP Haddo's Delight for me (another one of my favorites). I would recommend this blend for the more seasoned smokers. Definitely a blend to be puffed gently. Not a good blend for breaking in.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Sort of a rough cut, but not too rough. Mostly medium red and brown with a good percentage of darker leaf.

Aroma: Great nutty Burley aroma right on top, with some sweet Virginia and sour Perique peeking out.

Packing: Packs well in all but the smallest bowls, which need a lighter touch.

Lighting: Lights exceptionally easily, sometimes one match and a tamp with no relight.

Initial flavor: A simple blend to the palate. Just what you expect from the aroma. Lots of flavor, and lots of mouth feel. A perfect balance of the ingredients. Burns readily, but not hot.

Mid-bowl: The Perique really comes on more assertively, with just enough Virginia sweetness to keep in under control. The nutty Burley flavor hangs in there as a strong component, never in the background, but never in total dominance either. Stays quite cool at reasonable puffing rates. I haven't ever gotten it to burn hot.

Finish: Well behaved to the last, burns to a clean dark gray ash with no soggy bottom.

Summary: Although I'm not a "Burley Guy" as a rule, I do appreciate a well made Burley blend as a change from Virginias and Orientals. This is definitely at the top of the genre. Richer in flavor than it's close cousin Haunted Bookshop, which I also love. Another wonderful effort from Bob, the king of the burley blenders.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (17)

WOW... this is a really old man... if you dont respect him, he will torment you... now about this tobacco, it's a good tobacco, strong in your flavor but with time, you will know, step by step, how to smoke this tobacco after this, this old makes a friendship with you and will propitiate a very good smoke.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (55)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Other burley blends are a dingy, Old Joe is a battleship. If Pee Wee Herman is the leading man, Old Joe is Arnold Schwarzenegger. All other Burley blends are a screen door, Old Joe -gates of Iron.

Old Joe Krantz is a strong, strong blend without a hint of sweetness. It may have VA listed among the ingredients but the sweetness is as far as a pig from the moon. I describe Old Joe as Harsh with a deep dryness. It went great with my coffee but I had to add more sweet cream in my mug to balance out the smoke in my pipe. This blend packs a WALLUP in every area. If this is an old school smoke it left me the impression of a tough leather neck marine smoking gun powder and leather. You know how there are different levels of burley for blending? Well this one is the hard nicotine full body version. Now add a good deal of Perique. That's Old Joe Krantz.

Pipe Used: Cob, basket pipe.

Purchased From: PipesandCIgars.com

StimeyStrongwater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StimeyStrongwater (7)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A favorite! Great, earthy and slightly nutty, Burley flavor with a little sweetness from the Va. Strong nic hit, which is always appreciated. An all around great old school tobacco if you are into a lot of tobacco flavor with nothing added. I am currently out of stock with Old Joe, but will always have a place for this blend.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Old Joe Krantz… I finely got around to trying this blend after so many years. As it turned out, blends like this one, that are heavy on perique are not my favorites, between the high nic level and OJK’s spicy flavor, I gave up after smoking only about half of my new tin. When I need a solid nicotine punch in the head, I already have that covered with C/D burly flake #2, without the pepper. Of course this only my personal take on OJK, looking around this web-site, it looks like many of my fellow pipesters just love this stuff, so I guess my taste may run a little bit (old school) on the basic blend side. But for those that enjoy a SOLID Nic hit” and a nice spicy smoke, look no further, OJK is for you.

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I've spent the day with OJK after receiving my recent order. I do like burley and I really like OJK I went through four bowls and while it does have a good nic hit I didn't find it overwhelming. Nic is important for me, being an ex cig smoker. It stayed lit and gave me the real tobacco flavour I must have. A good honest burley mix.

I've lived with OJK for nearly a month now, smoking it daily. If anything I like it better than when I first received it. This will be in my regular rotation for some time.

There is a strong nic hit and it is very 'full flavoured'. The perique is noticeable but I think it is in perfect proportion to the burley and bit of Virginia also in it. If you love strong burley, this is for you.

Laserboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laserboy (12)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Bitterness is the most misunderstood and underappreciated of the basic flavors. In Old Joe Krantz we have an example of its use with utter mastery. When I say that the first flavor impact I get from Old Joe is bitterness, one might recoil from it. But this is the bitter of first class stout or IPA, of dark chocolate, of coffee, of black walnuts. It gets one's attention and holds it! But then it is backed up by the mild sweetness of the Virginia, the nutty burley, and the musky perique. It loads easily (I like mine darn near crunchy dry and then press it tight into the pipe) and burns like a charm. And it carries a notable wallop of nicotine--a small bowl goes a long way. A large bowl should be smoked gently because of the nicotine hit. But I don't think it's ever bitten me. This is a blend compiled with true artistry. I can imagine that it isn't for everybody, but this is the sort of blend about which one can be truly passionate--I sure am!

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This might be my first 2 star awarded to a C & D blend. I really love their tobaccos, but this one just did not do it for me. Probably pushing this rating is how much I enjoyed Back Porch, the blend made by C & D for the Yahoo Pipe Smokers Club that contains the same constituent tobaccos.

The one thing this has over Back Porch is its availability in bulk. I know that Haunted Bookshop and one of the Burley blends (#3 I think) are availablew in bulk and contain Va Bur and Per. I will need to try these out to see if one of them compares to Back Porch, but in a bulk option.

As to this blend specifically, it is strong in Nicotine which is almost to be expected from C & D and is a plus for me. The quality of leaf is good and burning properties are fair, but that is where the positives end for me.

As to the negatives, it takes a lot of concentration to get a good smoke out of it and the good taste is fleeting at least to my tastes. The one ounce I purchased was from the bottom of the bag. I know this because I originally ordered 4 oz, but P&C did not have that much left. To speed my order along I took one ounce and some other tobacco to equal the value, so I received more than an ounce, but it was certainly the bottom of the bag. What does this mean? Well, I don't know, but perhaps the mixture at the bottom did not resemble what would have been on top and maybe I got too much perique or something was out of equilibrium. All this means I may try it again, but only after trying the others referenced above.

8/26/14 EDIT

I just finished up another two ounces of this blend and will be adding a star. I found it much more enjoyable and think what I first received may have been crumbs at the bottom containing too much perique.

I found this one really sang in my Dunhill 5103 shell, but had the potential to leave me floored if I had not enough in my stomach. I still would not recommend starting the day with this one, but it is a nice nightcap. So three stars.

salopst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
salopst (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Somewhere between three and four stars. I cannot decide which, so I'll go with four . I've only 100 g of this under my belt, and the second half of the 2010 tin I had a friend pick up for me from the States was awesome. I was leery at first. To me it didn't smell like pipe tobacco-- all chocolatey and full of caramel, and generally reminiscent of cigars.

I have to credit this tobacco with rounding out early conceptions/impressions of tobacco, which, admittedly are not that nuanced. I have three rough groupings of tobacco hat I really like, and two that I do not.

#1 Orientals-- English, lots of Lat. Where I started, and what I remember my father and his father smoking #2 Sweet Virginias, sometimes flavored with perique or cavendish #3 Burleys, although I admit OJK is my first-- and I don't see any reason to move from that #4 aromatics -- Euch! #5 heavily cased dark navy/rum/twists -- Not quite my thing, but I can see the time and the place for it

Without OJK I could not have been able to make these, albeit crude, distinctions. It seems to me that Burley is the most tobacco-like tobacco, and an excellent place from which to begin to appreciate others.

It is not my favourite by a New York Mile, but I rank it highly. I will be buying much, much more and have dedicated a new pipe to it alone.

Tortuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tortuga (17)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

“OJK,” as it is affectionately known by it's familiars, is well deserving of it's seat in the pantheaon of burley masters. Old Joe Krantz is not a subtle smoke. It's painted in 3 bold stripes of primary colors: Burley, Virginia, Perique. Those stripes serve as the natal flag of fortitude and simplicity.

The tin aroma is a fantastic, leafy potpourri - sweet and perique-y. I don't know the technical term for the type of cut given to the tobacco, but it's smallish, easy to load, and burns well right out of the tin. I like to let it air for a few minutes, though. When it comes to strength, Old Joe Krantz is one cantankerous ol' timer YOU DO NOT want to mess with. Why? Because he'll kick your arse, that's why. And it it'll be embarrassing.

The virginia element is masterfully done, allowing it to be truly a burley feature blend, but definitely providing a high quality sweetness haven into which you can dive if feeling a bit blown over by the burley and perique pistons that drive the engine. I have smoked now about 6 blends that are made up of these same 3 primary components. Of course, each one probably uses different leaf and hopes to achieve it's own identity, but as far as I'm concerned, most of them still stand and shiver beneath the great and looming shadow of Old Joe Krantz.

Now I am a neophyte and every time I say a certain blend is strong, someone else chimes in with, ahh that's nuthin'. Well, if OJK isn't strong I don't know what is. In fact, it's too strong for me to smoke regularly; but I recognize and enjoy from time to time the archetypal burley pipe blend that is Cornell & Diehl's Old Joe Krantz.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)

I've been hanging out with OJK for a few weeks now and though he's not an everyday companion, I see him at least a few times a week. OJK is a burly Burley with loads of flavor from the condimental leaf--Virginia and Perique. The whole of it comes together with a trail-mixy quality--dried fruit, nuts, and sweetness. Maybe it's best smoked on the hiking trail, but I haven't tried that yet.

I love a good cigar and if there is one more thing attractive and unique about this blend, it's the woody, cigar-like quality of the flavor's finish.

The only drawback with this blend is its extraordinary springiness at first light. It lifts itself out of the pipe like a chin-up artist and seems to need extra attention with the tamper. But such idiosyncrasies are easily forgiven in the face of such flavor. Highly recommended for part-time pipesters with penchants for stogies, trail mix and acrobats.

And it's particularly nice with an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

Titus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Titus (3)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

What can you say about a blend that already has 47 reviews? A lot of people have smoked it and now having tried it I understand why one would like to write about it. This is a high quality blend that contains the very best leaf including real St James Parish Perique. The tobaccos all work together so that one does not overpower the other. The aroma in the tin is pure tobacco with a deep earthy smell. Packs well, stays lit and burns all the way down with a gray white ash. The taste is pure sweet tobacco just like the aroma. Tons of chewy smoke and the nicotine factor can sometimes feels like a "kick in the pants" but never unpleasent. A true all day smoke for me. When I was talking with Keith at C&D he told me this was the top selling bulk burley blend for years. Whenever I light up this smoke a vision of the 82nd Airborne patch flashes across my eyes "All American"

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)

Well I got my half pound of Old Joe Krantz bulk yesterday... I've been smoking a lot of McClelland Virginias mostly, and was pretty well burned out on the flavors there. I had tried Night Train and liked it, Briar Fox not so much though it was okay, but I wanted to try this Burley blend to see where I stand when you increase the burley quotient blended with Virginias. You see, more background here, I haven't reviewed Rainier Long Golden Flake here, but it remains my sort of paragon for pipe tobacco, and it has a burley component. After my McClelland Virginia phase, I began to realize that some burley seemed to be in most of the blends I enjoyed. And so was Virginia, and I knew I liked Perique from the McClelland experiments and from Night Train. I began mixing larger and larger burley amounts into the McClellands to some better results. This is a long story to explain where I'm at, but... the pipe experience is a strange one. You can find yourself swearing by one thing one day and decide the opposite must be true the next. Never before has such subjectivity in consumption been exercised by myself than with the pipe and its mysterious appetites.

Nevertheless, I never got around to trying OJK for one reason or another yesterday, and I found myself unable to sleep well last night. Whether it was because I had neglected to try OJK or not I don't know, but for many hours lying awake and reading last night, I was not able to get out of my head how great a pipeful of my new tobacco sounded. So, I eventually gave in and had some of that tobacco, a little early for me as I normally don't really smoke in the morning, usually until 10 or 11. Well, at 7 I lit up in the cloudy hazy morning, and leisurely displaced hours of frustrations. So maybe all this has something to do with the fact that I really really enjoyed the flavors of this tobacco, the interplay especially between the nutty Burleys and the tangy Perique, and with the fact that I'm now writing this glowing review. Hats off, Cornell and Diehl, hats off and thank you for this really great, really interesting tobacco. And I must also thank PipesandCigars.com, from which said tobacco arrived in perfect condition and at the proper humidity level, etc.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Easy to pack, burns cool, dry, smooth and with no bite. Sweeter than Haunted Bookshop and Three Friars, OJK has Lots of flavor, aroma and body. A rare trait and a real treat. Complex enough it's never boring. Wonderful nicotine content. A spicey nuttiness from the Burleys and Perique compliment the soft and sweet red Virginia perfectly. Even at 25% content, the Perique is smooth and never overbearing. One caveat, the spicey sweet nuttiness can easily becoming quite "cigarish" if smoked to fast and or heavily.

markh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
markh (4)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I really have nothing to add to the other descriptions. I really like this tobacco.

BUT - it is very strong in nicotine, and sneaks up on you. In that way it reminds me of Two Friends Redwood - a blend that doesn't seem like it would be that strong, but which Greg Pease describes with "that stuff knocks me over."

Not much in common taste wise, but like Redwood this tobacco also smokes easy, with no bite. So its tempting to smoke quickly...Which will knock YOU over.

Keep this in a small bowl.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)

This is a kaleidescope of naturals!!! The first light is spice from perique and VA, but smooths into a smooth "wine-like" effect. The flavors do change on you as frequently as from one sip to another. I know this is my opinion - but i have tried ALOT of CD and this is #1 for me they have done. It will always be around in my locker. (Old Joe does pack a punch as well, so be careful driving and operating machinery - hehehe)

Another of C&D's Winning Burley Blends

Appearance and Tin Aroma: This smells like figs, sweet. There's lots o'perique in this blend! Cubes of burley are readily visible, lots of mohagany leaf (Kentucky?), red Va as well.

Packing and Lighting: This one is a little more moist than the usual C&D offerrings, but still perfect for immediate smoking. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Once the match is lit, you are directly confronted with a mellow Burley-Perique symphony. I am allergic to Perique, but this one does not trigger my allergy right away.

Mid-Bowl: This is deliciously warm, round, and sweet in a natural way. Yumm.

Bottom of Bowl: Most Perique blends get very spicy at this point, but this one stayed shy of a peppery assualt. Rather it gave a nice "Tadum" ending to the smoke.

Overall: In spite of my allergy to Perique, I will continue to smoke this blend as an occassional delight. It did cause my lips to swell a little (and I already have big lips!) and a few pimples formed around my lips, but it did not cause a reaction in my throat or tongue. This blend once again showcases what can be done with Burley. Of course, you must like Burley to begin with.This burns to a nice, fine, grey ash with no moisture issues and leaves a fine grey dusting in the bowl as well. Thank you C&D...

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

A doghouse bass fiddle deep burley. Brown Mahogany color with a little black here in there. The full taste is t o b a c c o. Nothing fancy,nothng flashy. It tastes good,and has that natural milk chocolate to dark chocolate burley flavour. The perique adds the tiny wee bit fruit essence,and the virginia somehow makes it work together. So fine.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I have just tried this blend for the first time today. This is my fourth pipe full and am looking forward to many more. This has plenty of full tobacco flavor and an exellent amount of perique and is very easy on the tounge. My wife is not jumping up and down over the room note, however I can tell I will be able to smoke this one in the easy chair with little complaint. I will add this to my must have on hand list. what more can I say, thank you Bob and Craig!

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)

This blend was my first foray into C&D tobacco and like many I was a bit surprised at the dryness of the leaf. Upon opening the bag I ran my fingers through the tobacco and then stuck my nose in. Not much there to smell, a faint 'earthy' note of burley was all I could discern. From every aspect this tobacco seemed too dry but I knew this was common with C&D and hoped it wouldn't affect the smoke. It certainly didn't. While it lit up quite easily there was no tongue bite at all after tamp and relight. This stuff smokes quite well and has a full, uniform flavor down to the end of the bowl. The Burley is definitely in charge here but the perique is quite noticable as well, providing the pepperiness that its known for. I don't feel that it dominates the blend, as some have pointed out. As for the Virginias, I couldn't pick them out as a separate entity here but they definitely add a fullness to this blend that Burley alone would not. Indeed, this is a well balanced-baccy, cheers to Mr Runowski for the excellent blending. I'm getting to be a big fan of these Burley/VA/Perique blends that C&D and GLPease have been championing, and Old Joe Krantz is one of the better ones I've tried. I can't wait to try more of C&D's American leaf blends.

Rating: 8/10

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is one of those blends that I feel is a good blend but does not always attract my attention. The burn rate is good as well as the flavor. I generaly go for blends with a little more complexity than this, however this is good when you have other things on your mind other than the subtle nuances of a blend. May be a good all day smoke for some in that it will not fatigue your taste buds. Update 3-12-11 I dont know what I was thinking when I originaly reviewed this blend. Maybe it did not have enough age ? It has realy grown on me over the years and is one of my all time favorite burley heavy blends. Very, Very good!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I will not elaborate on the finer points of this tobacco, that's been said. I was taken by the first puff of the first bowl of Old Joe, a man who must have had discriminating taste. This tobacco packs and burns extremely well - few relights. At times it can provide a salty taste (at least for me), something some smokers seek and like in a tobacco and others despise. Personally, I welcome it. Old Joe won't bite you, he's too nice. The perique is discernible and enhances the smoking pleasure. If you don't want to try a full burley blend but would rather 'dip your toes (read tongue)' in burley with some spicy perique, start with Old Joe, he won't disappoint you.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)

A few preceding notes. The blend was named in honor of my grandfather, who was also my pipesmoking mentor and role model. He primarily smoked burleys, like Union Jack and Edgeworth Sliced. I cannot think of a time when I didn't see him w/o one of his beat-up pipes and the aroma of pipesmoke around him. In any case, I was reading the reviews of Haunted Bookshop and Norm Musicant indicated that he liked more red virginia in his blends. Norm is someone whose opinion I respect. I was still looking for a simple hearty burley blend that could hold my interest all day. So, a new blend.

This is a ribbon and coarse cut blend of four basic American tobaccos: dark and cubecut burleys, red virginia and perique. It lacks the sophisticated nature of many contemporary blends. The pouch aroma is typical of C&D's great burleys, warm and earthy with a strong note of perique's mustiness. There's a springy quality to the packing, and it required two charring lights before the tobacco lit. The first few minutes was all burleys, the dark cigar tones and the natural sweetness of the cubecut. But, because the red virginia and perique are in ample quantity, their presence is noted and welcomed. The nose tingled but no bite through the smoke. It was a full-bodied smoke of fairly consistent quality to the bottom of the bowl. A large bowl Ben Wade Brogue was a great complement to the tobaccos. Very little moisture through the smoke as well. The pipe drew easily with light tamping.

I like this blend a great deal, because of its straightforward quality and its fullness of smoke. Since it doesn't bite the tongue at all, it can be an all day smoke. But, because of the hefty portion of perique (25%), the blend may not appeal to everyone.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Ach!! This is some harsh smoke fellas, I need to toughen up.

I liked it, sublime tin note, and once it got going and was warm it was very good. Packs a decent wallop, I found myself giving it a lot of respect the whole way down the bowl, even after it mellowed at little at the halfway mark.

I couldn't get over how harsh the smoke was. It was sharp and intense, and it made me puff slowly and very carefully to get smaller amounts of smoke out of it which I then delicately managed. I don't think I've ever been so cautious about a smoke, maybe my first go-around with the Irish Flake.

Overall, a nice burley, and for a drop-dead price. That is good. I just couldn't relax with it though and found myself having to really focus on how I was smoking it, something I have never had to do to the same degree, even with harsher blends.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (24)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

The tin aroma combines darkly musty Perique with sweet almond. When smoked these two elements are combined along with lots of nicotine. I really don't enjoy this one, the flavor just isn't that pleasant and I'm not cut out for the nicotine punch it packs. I might try cutting it with some Latakia.

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and a few months in

Purchased From: SP.com

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I am welcomed by a musty smelling tobacco, this is promising. It packs very nicely and here I go. A nutty, earthy and slightly peppery, toasty bread taste shows up while I am blindsided by the strength. 1st lesson smoke it slowly in a small pipe as there is enough of everything in this mixture. It reminds me of Semois or Brun tobacco from Europe, no wonder since it's Burley. 2nd lesson smoke it on a full stomach, preferably after dinner, to fully enjoy it without any discomfort. Overall a must try for experienced pipe smokers.

C&D OJK was a treat. I found the blend to have a pleasant slightly bitter/sour taste that was pretty constant through the bowl. There is more of the bitter to me. The perique is there and I can taste it, but it is a condiment. There is enough of the Virginia to provide a little sweet to go with the bitter/sour. This one had a lot of flavor, and anyone who wants a tobacco that is "not bland" should try this if there is not a burley or perique aversion. This one has a little more nicotine than most things I smoke, but like the perique presence, it is enough to notice and not so much that I am swimming in it. OJK was very good and a tasty diversion. I will probably buy some of this to keep it around.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: uncertain

Purchased From: bulk from someone who did not like it

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

whitebriar is right everything that needs to be said about OJK has been but I will say I think I found my favorite old bulk standby. I have always ordered 4-8 ounces of bayou night a month but this stuff is quickly becoming a favorite!

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

everything has been said about 'Old Joe' that need be said--

all i need to add is 'i like it'!!

juanmedusa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanmedusa (8)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I love this stuff. First tobacco I bought in pounds of bulk. it's a great value and one of the few heavy burley's that can hold my interest. The perique is spicy and present. I smoke this inbetween the pricey stuff.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Stout, bitter, sour taste, very full bodied, very decent nicotine. I love this stuff, first time I smoked it was 2 bowls back to back.. I never finished the second one,I had to lie down from nicotine OD.

When puffed slowly it brings out a musty, old timey flavour, sour and bitter but not in a bad way. Fantastic in a cob, I just can't get the same experience in a briar. Does not DGT very well.

This is a keeper for sure, I will be stocking up

BurleyLegal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyLegal (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Old Joe Krantz is a solid blend of burley and perique that doesn't play around! The flavor is full of honest tobacco goodness, as is the room aroma. The vitamin N is no joke, and is very satisfying almost to a fault for those who are looking for it. All in all OJK is a no nonsense manly smoke that maintains a loyal following for good reason.

Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Strong and harsh. Can't find the pleasure in this one. Good northern winter tobacco for when you only can stand outside for a few puffs , plenty of Nicotine ! Burley is the main player, some sweetness at a sip but very one dimensional. In the straight VaPerBur category, C&D's " Three Friars" is much smoother and more interesting and P&C's "SumzaBitches" has more Perique and both keep the Burley in the background better than OJK.

I'm with reviewer " DK" from 5/21/09

BurleyLegal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyLegal (9)

OJK is my quinessential 'go to' blend, the one I pray that my tobacco pouch is loaded with if I am ever stranded on a deserted island. Everything from the pouch aroma to the flavor to the room aroma simply cries out "Tobacco" to me. Admittedly I am a sucker for perique in substantial quantities (perhaps living in close proximity to St. James parish gives me cause for bias...I don't know). I enjoy the spectrum of flavors that the interplay of burley, virginia, and perique provide, with just the right satisfying dose of vitamin N. A pipeful of OJK accompanied by a large travel mug of Community coffee is my staple breakfast of champions! If you enjoy good, honest tobacco flavor definitely give OJK a try.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This is "exorcised bookshop" by my account, as it clears up the shortcomings of its rougher younger brother, mostly with the addition of a slightly nuttier-tasting burley and less-intrusive perique and Viriginia.

No fuss, no muss - smoke this one right out of the tin with no heat or bite. Just make sure you've eaten.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Full Burley blend with great Perique spiceness and very light sweet notes from the Virginias. Outstanding

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)

While smoking this tobacco I concluded that though I do really enjoy a straight Burley, a Burley headliner with condiment amounts of Perique and Virginia, just doesn't work that well for me. I would rather smoke a really good Burley, or a really good VaPer. Having said that OJK was a decent smoke, OJK is a step in the right direction from Haunted Bookshop.

Struggling.Thinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Struggling.Thinker (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

For a frame of reference, I prefer Burley blends. Virginias are, of course, a wonderful edition and the mustiness and spiciness of Perique all appeal to me. Despite a fair amount of experience with a range of contemporary blends, I find Carter Hall to be one of the most attractive options.

That being said, this was my first experience with OJK. I very much enjoyed this. My Vitamin N needs were satisfied, although I will say that I wasn't absolutely knocked over by it (as I expected from so many of the previous reviews). It was, however, quite satisfying.

Burley is the front runner and the smell is pure tobacco. Occasionally, the taste became cigar-ish (in a good way). The Perique remained (to me) a seasoning that aided but did not become intrusive. This is not a spicy or smoky blend. As a CH fan, I found this to have something more, although I would not say that this blend is particularly complex. I, for one, don't expect tremendous complexity from Burley blends. Their inherent classic tobacco-ness is why I like them. Well done.

Highly recommended.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been sitting on some bulk Old Joe Krantz for about 5 months now and figured that would be a good length of time to let it mellow out a bit. Anymore I'll let a bulk C&D Blend sit for 4 to 6 months before cracking it open since it's really tough for me to gauge how much I like the blend when it's freshly done.

I'm not a fan of perique. It typically comes off as peppery to me in anything from Escudo to C&Ds Epiphany or Haunted Bookshop. Sure I get flashes of figs and dark fruits but for the most part it's more irritating than exciting. That led me to be little apprehensive about OJK. I was very pleasantly surprised. First light brings the burley up front followed by an earthy sweetness that seems to be from the red Virginia followed up by flashes of figs from the perique. As the bowl progresses the perique picks up some steam and becomes a bit more pronounced along with the Virginia. The burley is always there but towards the bottom of the bowl seems as more of a buffer than at the forefront. This blend is very smooth. It's probably one of the smoothest blends I've ever had. A little nose tickle from the perique will certainly keep you from inhaling by mistake though. Nicotine wise this blend is quite satisfying and if you are sensitive to it then I would caution you that this blend is strong. For me I'd place it in the medium to strong range but just slightly closer to medium.

I'll be trying more of this blend in different pipes but it's a burley blend first and foremost with some perique and Virginia to keep it exciting. It's certainly not complex but there is enough interest to puff on it all day. I highly recommend this blend to just about anyone to be honest. If you're a latakia fiend you will be disappointed but if you enjoy burley blends or VaPers this will certainly be a change of pace.

One item of note is that no matter how much I've dried the blend it seems to raise up like a ghost in the bowl. Mostly at the initial lighting but sometimes later on during a relight. The only other blend I've noted this on was Hal O' the Wynd.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)

I just got through having a bowl of OJK that I've had cellared since 2005. This fine tobacco reminds me of the Old Burley blends of yester-year. It lights well, stays lit, and sips well to the bottom. The Perique adds a little freshness to the musty chocolate taste of the burley and the Red Virginia has a great zestiness that seeps thru. A delightful smoke.

Update 6 July 2013. Old Joe just gets better with age. This is turning into an AMAZING dark chocolate rasin wonderland. I wanna hug Craig T! This is what smoking a pipe is all about right here!!!

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Old Joe Krantz is one of the blends developed by Bob Runowski in his attempt to recreate the pleasures of old, traditional tobaccos. It's a combination of Virginia, burley, and some perique. Like other C&D blends, the tobacco benefits greatly from some age before smoking. Bob says that this is his favorite burley blend. I'll confess that my initial impression of Old Joe Krantz was, well, less than favorable. However, I set aside the ball jars of it, and happened upon them again after they sat for about five months. The difference was nothing less than dramatic. What originally hit me as a slightly bitter discord of flavors had become a well-mannered and pleasant blending of fine tobaccos. The pouch aroma of Old Joe Krantz is one that could easily keep me from smoking it. If it reminds me of anything, it reminds me of the smell of dirty feet. To me, this is a tobacco that the smoker needs to smoke while ignoring the pouch aroma, and doing so provides a nice, pleasant treat. The burley asserts itself from the start, giving a nice lighting taste. There's not any hesitation from this blend at all! But while the burley is a strong presence, the natural sweetness of the Virginia is there as well. The perique is just heavy enough to mix with the Virginia and provide a sort of sweet and sour effect. The balance of the three tobacco varieties is as well done in this blend as I've encountered. While the initial flavor is full, it's not overly strong. The taste remains consistent through the bowl, but the last eighth or so becomes a good bit stronger than the rest. There's no acridity to the flavor, it just strengthens. I've been smoking this blend on an almost daily basis now, and find it to be a real pleasure.

Recovery7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Recovery7 (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried several C&D blends and while not all of them have become favorites they are all of the highest quality. I recently ordered OJK and loaded it in a cob to try out tonight.

Initial Impressions: Mixed cut - some ribbon, some that looked like a rubbed out flake. Aroma from the bag was of burley with the hints of Virginia and the unique aroma that is perique. Loaded easily in the pipe. Charring light was easy and didn't require a touch up. Others have noted that this blend tends to stay lit and I can't argue. I relit once and that was due to talking to a neighbor as they walked by outside.

Flavor: I rated this as medium as it started off like burley, that is to say mild, but then the perique chimed in, a peppery, spicy note. It took until mid-bowl for the Virginia to peek through. The second half of the bowl, with a five minute DGT, showed the great balance of this blend. All the tobaccos provided an excellent end to the smoke.

Conclusions and overall: This burned cool and dry with no effort on my part. There was nothing but fine gray ash to clear from the bowl. I did notice a very strong nicotine rush from this tobacco - not unpleasant but much more so than I normally encounter. If I decided on an all-day smoke this one would be very much in the running. Medium to full body with just great tobacco flavor.

ferncourt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferncourt (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Vinnie799: Joe Krantz is likely a real person and he's likely Bob Runowski's grandfather, owing that this is one of Bob's blends and he's been known to say he named it this because it is something his grandfather would have smoked.

That said, this is a great, no frills smoke. It's in my top five.

It's everything one should expect from a quality American-blended codger tobacco

It lights easily, burns evenly with no to very few delights, hasn't a bit of a bite and leaves no dottle.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

OLD JOE KRANTZ, anybody know who is? Is he a real person?

Anyhow this tobacco, I've now used a full eight ounces of, seems to be surpassing my go to burley by far (Prince Albert). When I want/need a quick or a full hit of nicotine OJK is what I've been reaching for. I have a burley flake that I've been fancying but I'll not mention it here.

There's a pleasant aroma wating in the bag! OJK has a really nice perique tweak without biting too. I feel that OJK is full and strong and very satisfying. I tend to like big bowls of it and it lights and burns easily and respectfully too. I did some 'breath smoking' with it but it seems better full on! I highly recommend this in one's rotation and you'll probably be reaching for it more often than you expect to.

The cut reminds me of the bottom of a box of breakfast cereal, you know things all broken up but nice finely broken. I find it easy to fill a bowl and make it a large one. Also, I get no static from my dear wife about the room note. That's one of our brotherhood's most important critics when trying to enjoy a tobacco. I'm giving this baby a full FOUR stars here!

umm_bacon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
umm_bacon (12)

This was the first pipe tobacco I tried since ten years or so ago when I made a half-hearted attempt at pipe smoking. I thought this was the strongest thing made the first time I smoked it. Again, that was the first bowl in 10+ years. I have since that time found much stronger tobaccos, but this remains one of my favorite non plug, rope, flake blends. It is what it sounds like, crotchety and a bit stubborn. It seems stuck it it's ways, but at least it is an honest smoke. No sweetness, no fruitiness, just tobacco. Pretty decent tobacco.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

When I first started smoking this blend, I would have given it a 4 star rating. Twenty pounds later, I am still in love with it; yet, as guys that have been married for a long time can relate, ahhh.....luckily Old Joe understands when I smoked 30 or 40 other blends. I haven't had an unfavorable blend from Cornell & Diehl yet, except for Mississippi Mud. Old Joe is a great bulk blend that comes already on the dry side, no prep needed. It has a very natural taste without any chemicals added that I detect. Burley is in the drivers seat, virginia riding shotgun, but the perique is a very loud back seat driver. If you don't like perique, don't get in the car. But if you like burley and perique........take that ride.

Steverino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steverino (6)

I've had a tin of this open for about six months and find it to be a very satisfying and flavorful tobacco. For some reason, I didn't like it very much when I first tried it, but now it seems much better. I detect some kind of topping, as I initially get a flavor that doesn't seem to come directly from the blend components. This is evident in the tin aroma as well. This is no problem, however, as it adds greatly to the flavor in the beginning, then subsides somewhat as I smoke on down the bowl.

The relatively small pieces into which this tobacco is cut allows it to pack and light with no problem and it burns at an average rate - not too quickly but not a "long burner" either. The remnants consist of lots of fine, gray ash.

Though I can tell it's there, I did not detect much in the way of nicotine strength, but I smoke a number of stronger blends as well, so I may be less sensitive to this level of nicotine than some.

Overall, I rate this as a very good smoke and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys burley with a little sweetness from Virginia and just a bit of perique spice.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a really bold, in your face smoke. The perique is snappy and spicy, the burley gives a lot of body and strength, and the Virginias are more of a supporting role adding sweetness. I find myself enjoying each and every bowl. Zero bite.

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Highly recommended with a caveat. This is a full, no-nonsense tobacco with powerful presences of all three elements. I think that if you are not a lover of straight VA's and burleys and LOTS of perique, this might not be very enjoyable. However, I love all of these, so I find OJK to be an exceptional blend. This tobacco burns beautifully and does not bite, in my experience. The perique offers up all of its beautiful earthy goodness along with a substantial amount of spicy heat, the VA provides a lovely framework with lots of depth, and the burley adds a nutty, sweet fullness to the whole thing. I don't know if I got all of those characteristics assigned to the right players, but what I do know is that Old Joe is a helluva great smoke. It also has plenty of nicotine, though not an overpowering amount. I recommend it highly to anyone who likes full, rich tobacco flavor with more than a little attitude.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Another AAA blend by the best tobacco people in the universe. OJK is a totally satisfying, enjoyable smoke for the experienced piper. A perfect all day, all night blend. I go for a week smoking OJK only and then switch to Gentleman caller for the next week. 4 stars all the way, 5 would be more appropriate but not available.

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

OJK. This is pretty strong. I love strong tobacco and this fills the bill perfectly. Nice sweet taste bout half way down. Burns excellent. One light and away she goes. So enjoy OJK. Cornell and Diehl is vastly superior Tobacco. If I had to pick one blender. They would be it. Bob Runowski is a tobacco Genius!!!!!

Mr. Ubiquity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Ubiquity (16)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

If you've tried Night Train, the flavor is similar, but not as strong. In my mind, they are in the same family. Easy to pack, the perique hits just right and at the right time. Not a fussy tobacco, it lights, stays lit. I like it as a reading tobacco, as the interplay of the tobaccos makes the smoke very soothing. Sometimes the Va's whisper sweetly, sometimes the burley brings on a bit of pecan, and the perique makes the whole thing a bit more spicy. Yum. If you don't like burley, don't try it.

Sparks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparks (7)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This has become my all day smoke, if there is such a thing. This is a full tobacco IMO, however, all the ingredients are in balance. I love Burley, so the nice rich base in greatly appreciated. The Virginia adds a nice sweet note to this blend, subtle but there, and the Perique rounds it out with a nice spicy kick.

This blend is by far one of the best blends I have ever smoked. It is the top of my rotation and is being stocked in my cellar.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

OJK is a nice burley with a pleasant caramelized-pecan touch added by the VA and the perique. It burns steady, cool and dry right out of the tin, not at all steamy. Being a non-flake, I think it burns too fast. For me, the blend is in balance, tasty and satisfying. OJK easily earns a solid 3 stars.

Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I was all set to write a review and I see that 1/2 bowl already said 90% of my thoughts! The only thing I'd add is that the mixing of the various tobaccos seems haphazard. And that those that rate this blend as "smooth" or as a potential "all-day smoke" must have asbestos tongues! I salute those who like this blend, but it sure did nothing for me. Two stars is a gift, and given mostly because I'm just sure that anything from Cornell & Diehl has to be of high quality leaf, even though I could not say so in all certainty.

Try this if you enjoy natural burley taste with one hell of a lot of perique thrown in, and you're not into nuances or subtleties. Yowch!

chrisg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chrisg (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco reminds me of GP Haddos Delight because the perique is more piquant than spicy. It is a delightful change of pace from standard VaPers and it leaves me wanting to smoke another bowl.

The beginning is a little rough but by the first tamp, the nice nuttiness of the burley comes through. The VAs are subtle and add a hint of sweetness to the burley and the nice soapy flavor of the perique. I had no problems with bite, though this blend lends itself to sitting back and taking your time. It really is a relaxing smoke.

About mid bowl, it reaches it peak. I'm a big fan of the burley. It has such great interplay with the perique. It's just delicious! Exhaling through the nose is wonderful, but a warning to inhalers! I french inhale and perique and smokiness will almost knock you down.

It burned fairly well and I had minimal relights. The moisture in my can was a little on the dry side, but since I smoke a lot of 2015, it was probably the correct moisture content. Not much gurgle and the ash was grey/black. Very limited dottle.

I struggle between highly recommended and just recommended. I'd probably give it 3.4 *s. OJK is a very good blend that could probably use a dedicated pipe (or at least a pipe that smokes the soapier periques). If you're a VaPer fan, you should definitely try it.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I like this C and D blend. It is great in a cob, burns well, has a smooth taste and aroma and reminds me very much of a nice creamy cigar. It was biteless, has a sweet, full flavor and leaves no goop in the pipe. I like the perique in this blend, has a slightly musty taste and aroma but it is wonderful with a cold dark beer. I wanted to smoke another bowl of this after my first, a good sign. I enjoy this blend and reommend it.

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)

OJK has become a favorite of mine. It is a full flavored natural tobacco. The individual ingredients interplay throughout the bowl. Don't get me wrong this is clearly a Burley blend but the Va adds sweetness and the Perique the tang, they make themselves present at various intervals with different degrees of strength. You will at times catch a taste and side stream of cigar. If you like fairly strong no nonsense tobaccos this is a must try. When you are having trouble selecting a smoke, you grab OJK and you will always be glad you did. I agree with others that say this is an old time style tobacco. I find this a perfect companion to Riverboat Gambler. It gets a little stronger and bitter (in a good way)towards the bottom of the bowl and it will burn clean to the bottom. This is probably not for everyone but for those that like flavor and strength and give this a chance it may end up being their Desert Island, every day and all day smoke. Hats off to C&D and Bob Runowski for true delight.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (38)

OJK (bulk) is a good Burley blend with a rich, old time taste that is, regrettably, cloyed by too much Perique. The high Perique content throws the blend completely out of balance and ruins an otherwise tasty smoke. Condiments should serve to merely tilt the taste of a blend. If a putz like me can understand that, then why couldn't an accomplished pro like Runowski see it? If Runowski had painted the Mona Lisa, her inscrutable smile would be just a silly, toothy grin. Less is more -- and blenders should utilize the properties of condiments to finesse a blend to perfection rather than clobber it with flavoring.

My low rating of this blend reflects not my displeasure with it so much as my disappointment over a lost opportunity for excellence. If you like Perique, and you're one to put a hot dog on your mustard, or add a splash of coffee to your cream, then go for OJK.

Por2gee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Por2gee (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This blend has everything a burley lover needs, taste, strength,and burn rate.If you are looking for an old timey smoke one needs only look here for it.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Ive smoked alot of this over the year and I find it a tastey, satisfying change of pace smoke with enough nicotine. I say change of pace because it does have a big flavor and after a couple back to back bowls, it can be flavor overload. I find similar flavors in C&D's 3 Friars, only in 3F they are lighter and easier to smoke all day. I consider this 3F's big brother and another blend thats not for the kiddos. I like it.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! This stuff is like a premium Cuban cigar run through a blender! This blend is a real old school smoke for real smokers. It starts out strong and smooth and stays that way through the entire smoke, leaving one with pure tobacco satisfaction. Old Joe carries a full load of nicotine, so be warned. If you always wanted to smoke a real Cuban cigar, don't bother, just get some of this blend. Enough said. This is truly a 4 star smoke if ever there was one.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)

I was given a tin of this by a friend at Christmas. On New Years I decided to try it even though I am not a big fan of Burleys. Wow, not bad at all. I think the Perique blended in is perfect. Funny thing is, I don't like lots of Perique either! The mixture is done just right to compliment each other. I am impressed. I don't feel this has as much nicotine as some others I smoke, but it definately is there. The room note seems great, I didn't get many complaints. I recently finished my tin and will buy more.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Others have already provided excellent comments regarding the taste and characteristics of this tobacco. Therefore I would like to limit my comments to my overall impression....Superb!!!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I sometimes say this is like a cigarette, a cigar and a pipe all rolled into one...a great smoke with a lovely malty vinegary taste. When you don't want a Virginian, a plain Burley, Aro, Danish, English or Scot and the Navy makes you seasick - go for the good ol' USA, pack in some OJK...honest and true...it tastes like tobacco.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Another winner from Cornell & Diehl. I find a taste of a good cigar here though there is no cigar leaf mentioned by C&D. No sweet "girlie man" tobacco here, just a good honest blend. Out of the tin the moisture is perfect, easy to pack, and light. Lots of rich smoke. Burns cool and completly. When I want a "not so sweet" smoke this is it.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

My order arrived in a perfect state and has a terrific sweet musty odor. Old Joe Krantz is very unforgiving to the tongue of a quick smoker, and I have quickly learned to smoke this slow to enjoy it to its fullest. There has to be a perfect balance of ingredients here as nothing jumps out at you, just a high power burley smoke.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Only one reason I didn't give this 4 stars - I couldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't either a cigar or cigarette smoker.

This hit the spot for me - heavy in nicotine so I didn't have to reach for a cigarette or two in between bowls! Tastier then most with this high a nicotine content and if the other reviews are correct, the taste's will come out further with some aging.

I put it alongside Irish Flake and Erinmore as a tobacco that can satisfy those of us who require the nicotine punch yet like some flavor to their smoke.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

If I could give this less than one star I would. Not a big fan of this. It has too much of something in it and I couldn't put my finger on it. Also, it left an extremely bad tasting coating in my mouth and throat which didn't go away for hours.

I know that a lot of people love this blend but it is just not for me.

20Oct2010 UPDATE I think that I was too harsh in my original review of this. I have since come to like Burley blends very much and this one is great! I apologize for my hasty judgment of this blend.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It seems as though some review this as a burley blend, others view it more as a Perique one. I can definitely taste the Perique in it, but still find it more burley-like in character. It's a full blend, a long way from some of the cased burleys on the market. It has a toasted nuttiness that my taste buds like a lot with the pepperiness of the Perique adding to its' flavor.

OJK is easy to pack, I usually just put the pipe in the pouch and scoop until it's full, then tamp down rather firmly on top. It seems to go especially well with my Lannes Johnson XL billiard. Lighting and burn is also good, you shouldn't need a lof of relights with this one. It leaves the walls of the pipe clean at the end of the smoke, not at all goopy.

Scores for OJK: taste- 16 of 20, lighting and burn- 9 of 10, value- 8 of 10. A total of 33 gives OJK a ** rating. Another good job from Bob Runowski and Craig Tarler.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Deep, rich flavors of real tobacco with no goop or tongue bite. Enough nicotine to satisfy the most hearty nicotine appetite and burning characteristics to be rivled by other blends.

It packs easily, smokes cool and burns completely to a fine white ash. You will find no dottle here. Another winning attribute is that it burns very slow yet stays lit.

Those of you who are aromatic smokers beware. This is no candy tobacco. This is a man's smoke. A delicious burley blend with enough Virginia tobacco to take out the bitterness of the burley and enough perique to add just a touch of spice. The nicotine content is high.

Reasonably priced,I'd give this blend 10 stars if I could.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)

People told me this is a burley blend. I?d call it a Perique blend! Perique is center stage here, and holds your attention the entire bowl. The other components stay out of the way and allow the star to show her stuff.

Perique?s fig-like fermented character shines with OJK. You get the peppery character too, but raisiney, stewed prune flavor isn?t lost among the other flavors like it is with some other blends.

The overall taste is no-nonsense and one dimensional. I?m not saying that like its a bad thing. Very sturdy - it borders on harsh but doesn?t cross that line. Its robust, its in your face, and doesn?t pretend to be gentle, but it doesn?t abuse you either. All that Perique cools the blend down - tongue bite should never be a problem. OJK is a great source of Vitamin N and one bowl might even exceed your daily allowance.

The blend comes in a cut that is very easy to pack and smoke. It rates high on my smoke-ability scale. Puff on it all you want. It might knock you on your ass, but it won?t leave any bruises.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (86)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This burley blend is just delicious! After smoking this blend for a few months and trying different samples from various online shops it has become a staple in my arsenal. The perique is present in an amount that gives a nice tingle when blown through the nose and is never overpowering for me. The ouch aroma is to die for an the roomnote is not too bad as my girlfriend lets me smoke this in bed without complaint. I have found i like outwest tobacco's stash of OJK since Gene keeps it at a perfect 70 % humidity and seems aged longer than other e-tailers. Smokes great in either small pipes or huge freehands, just a great all dayer and the first burley blend with perique that i have a couple of pounds ageing in my "cellar".

Ego Archive Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ego Archive (14)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Honestly, I get almost no taste from this blend, maybe just an ocassional nut flavor, but no musty spicy notes from the Perique. Sadly that is not the aftertaste I get, I find that I either have to have a drink with me while smoking this, or I get a pretty bad (bitter) taste in my mouth.

When I look through the tobacco, I don't find any cube cut to speak of, but I'm not sure if that is typical or not. The tobacco seems to burn reasonably well, only few relight's on a bowl at most, but it does have a tendency to burn down to an ashy taste at the end, with black dottle.

One thing I will concure on, with the other reviews I have seen is that this has a high amount of nic, holding onto your chair arms, feet planted on the floor strong.

I don't see buying this again honestly, apparently this blend does not work with my chemistry.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Old Joe Krantz.18/03/07. This blend remind's of a dryer version of some balkan blends, that are out there.(But,they say there's no latakia?) After two light's and some tampering occasionally,your well on your way to a rather pleasant experience."Providing that you enjoy a dryer smoke" There wasn't any nasty drama in smoking this at all.Though I do doubt that I would really go out of my way to revisit this blend. I really didn't notice the perique,very much,if at all??? At bowl's end,I was left with a very dark grey ash and almost no goop at all. Not really a bell ringer for me,but,maybe it will chime out loudly for you.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I had a love affair with this one (Well in a manner of speaking...)- Its the first burley blend I really liked. I was already hooked on Perique...So I thought..I'll try it. Glad I did. The Burleys came through nice and nutty, with the virginias covering any harshness there might have been- and then the perique. Starting light is spicy....but it calms down nicely. At cruising speed to 3 quarters down....spicy, nutty, and sweet. It interplays the three components. Burley/Virginia comes to the front, then gives the stage over for a spicey blast....then back again. I love it for lunch time at work. The bottom of the bowl does intensify in strength, and the nicotine can get ya if your not careful.... On a lark, I cut this with some Barbary coast (2 parts OJK, 1 part B.C.)and WOW...more perique and burley with that brandey taste. Its like putting a cherry on a sundae. Try it some time...

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)

How is it that I really enjoy Old Joe Krantz but cannot find much to like in C&D's somewhat similar Haunted Bookshop blend? For whatever reasons, this burley blend really 'works' for me. Even though there's more perique here, OJK seems smoother and less harsh than HB, and the burley can really be savored in this.

As with all C&D blends I've tried so far, packing, lighting, and smoking OJK are all easily accomplished with little effort; usually only requires one or two relights mid-bowl, if then.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I have enjoyed many of C&D's blends and being a Latakia Junkie, Star of the East and Pirate Cake are my favorite two. I also love good Burleys and straight Red Virginia's when I want to switch up so I had to give Ol Joe a try.

While this is a quality blend and the burley/red virginia are top notch, I truly enjoyed the several bowls I smoked and wanted more! But my allergy to perique prevented me from truly enjoying this as much as I wanted to. If I did not have an allergy to perique, I would make this blend part of my regular rotation.

Solid 3 out of 4 stars. 8-)

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)

So far, I think the best burley blend I have tried.It is very smooth, but full enough to be satisfying, and that coming from a heavy cigarette smoker always going to convert to all pipes. This tobacco is said to have a 25% Perique content, but you couldn't prove it by me, as I seem to be pretty insensitive to Perique. The easiest way for me to detect Perique is the tongue coating I get from it, which in this case is very light. It also has some Virginia in it, which I detect by default, ie, this is not a straight burley taste. If the blend has any fault at all, as far as I am concerned, it is that I see and taste a small amount of cigar leaf in it. I smoke high grade cigars also, but don't like them in my pipe tobacco. I have read many reviews of Virginias that state the tobacco is mellow, and doesn't bite or smoke hot, whereas all Virginias smoke hot and bite to me. I say this only as a point of reference because OJK has absolutely no bite or excessive heat, regardless of how you pack it, how you light it, or when or where you smoke it. This is truly an all day smoke,and highly recommended.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

OJK is simply delicious. It's my favorite CD blend so far. In fact, I've never been a real fan of CD, having sampled about a dozen or so over the years, not until I found OJK. The moisture level is exactly right out of the tin (8 ounce tin or bag) and I don't feel compelled to store some away for six months just to enjoy it.

I don't know if this is genuine St James Perique or not but who cares ? The taste reminds me of a richer, more rustic tasting Elizabethan Mixture with the addition of nutty, smooth and simple burley. I detect maybe the smallest amount of topnote or added flavoring. The Perique in this blend is more piquant than peppery; the aroma when smoking is outstanding (at least to me, not to my wife). A definite treat or an all day smoke, it is light enough in taste to smoke early in the morning, but still has a nice kick. Smokes well in autumn on the back porch.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I pulled this one out of the stash after reading the posts of a friend on a message board. He had been extolling the virtues of Old Joe for a while and piqued my curiosty.

The tobac was nice and dry, at what I would consider a perfect moisture for smoking. I packed it a bit on the loose side the first time out. It?s a mistake I decided not to repeat. It was hot, harsh, and I didn?t like it. I realized what I had done and tightened it up with the tamper, and it was like night and day. Subsequent bowls were packed the same as I would pack a straight Virginia.

The smoke has a delightful flavor, a hint of Perique compliments the burley and provides a bit of depth. In my humid environment, I believe the heel of the pipe was drier after the smoke than it was before I packed it. At the end, there is nothing left but fine ash and a pleasant memory. The finish is semi-sweet as is the rest of the bowl, and it never got bitter on me.

I have decided that I like Old Joe. I think I?ll visit him more in the future.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

An "American" blend if I've ever tasted one. It is quintessentially "country". Literally - grassy - a tiny bit "rough" tasting but yet so hospitable. Hints of pepper and woodsy flavors. Perfect for late summer and early autumn smoking - morning or evening.

Amazingly complex and a bit heavier on the burley than say - Three Friars or Cumberland - which it tastes quite a bit like at points. Other times, it has an undefineable, unique taste. I could never quite warm up to Haunted Book Shop, but could keep some Old Joe around for when I crave it.

C+D, and their associates, are masters of the rustic Americana pipe smoke that many connect with humid antebellum evenings and cool New England summers. My own grandfather - the first pipe smoker I knew - would have loved this blend.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)

Old Joe Krainz (as it is properly spelled according to Old Joe's grandson - Robert Runowski) in a word has simply become my favorite tobacco. It has everything I look for in a smoke - good flavor, effortless smokeability and it burns down with virtually no dottle. The virginias lend a subtle sweetness. The burlies add a nut-like richness and a combination of a chocolate/saltiness quality that I find delightful. The perique is (as far as I can tell) gives this mixture a compelling peppery quality but IMO is not at all over-done. OJK has become my (if I can borrow the term) vade mecum and I wish I could have met the man himself. OJK never bites and never smokes wet. This is a perfect smoke for me.

Highest marks - Gretchen gives this 5 barks and a wag of her tail.

Rocketman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rocketman (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I will not go into a description of the cut and makeup of this blend as that has been covered quite well in the previous reviews. I find this to be a very easy smoke, packs and burns well, remains cool throughout the bowl. It is complex enough not to bore or tire the tastebuds, yet not so complex as to demand the type of attention many other blends require to experience nuance. This is my everyday, all day smoke upon which canvas I paint my daily experiences, enjoying other blends as the mood strikes me. It is a great backround to a good book or music. A solid, consistant blend which never dissapoints. It seems to be the Antithesis of the "Contempletive" blend in that it forms an undemanding backround to other things which demand your attention. I always keep a few pounds on hand, fairly easy to do at the reasonable price C & D charges for it.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I really loved this blend. It seemed to fulfill in all areas a tobacco can . It lit easily and smoked easily. Taste was of good tobacco though I assume it is the Burley taste I am really falling for here. I like the room smell which was just tasty possibly close to a drug store blend for it seemed familure and comforting. Once again maybe it is the Burley. I did not care for Haunted Book Shop which was rather rough to me but oddly the tobacco's of these two blends are simular. Maybe the variation is in the cut or quantity of each leaf? I do smoke this throughout the day and have smoked it in public as well for I like the smell of it.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I have recently become interested in Burley/VA/Perique blends, in part due to Cumberland. I would characterize OJK as a fuller, less complex Cumberland. Those that enjoy Cumberland may want to give this a try.

The blend itself includes a wide variety of tobacco cuts in a wild style, from fairly small pieces to pieces over ½ inch square. I received a sample from a friend and it contained a very appropriate moisture level.

Burning characteristics are very good, as are packing qualities. The tobacco packs nicely into narrow bowls as well as those with a wider bore.

The flavor character of this blend suggests a fairly heavy hand with the Perique, and the burley is the predominate flavor. Sweetness is present and adequate without being overdone. The perique balances nicely with the VA, and provides a fruity sense. The general sense if a fairly full flavor, on par with, or fuller than Cumberland. There is almost a sense of cigar leaf in this blend, although that is not mentioned in the description. This blend is produces a bit of a nasal burn during the first third of the bowl, but mouth irritation is relatively low. This latter characteristic is what has motivated me to try blends of this type, Burley/VA/Perique.

Overall: a reasonable smoke with good burning qualities, enough complexity to remain interesting in an American style. This might be somewhat bland for smokers of English blends, but would be welcome for those who like this style.

November 2002.

Tim W. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tim W. (5)

I am a fan of good burley based blends, knowing this A.T. Barr gave me a baggie of OJK (C&D Blend #126) from his stash to try.

The tobacco is loose cut, mainly light brown and blond with a small amount of dark ribbons. The moisture level is medium dry. OJK is no trick to pack nicely and smokes to the bottom without demanding very much mechanical interaction.

Lighting the pipe happens easily, tamping and relighting results in a smooth smoke that blends the good parts of Virginia?s sweetness with the nutty solid flavor of Burley. The Perique component is obvious, but not overwhelming, acting as a good spice should to bring out the other flavors. This blend is a must have for people who enjoy Burley but don?t want a boring taste. It has earned a Tupperware container of its own in my mostly tinned repertoire of top smokes. OJK is a very traditional blend that will appeal to smokers who want a real tobacco flavor that smokes cool and doesn?t repel the spouse. It is truly an all day smoke to those so inclined, it is certainly one of my top smokes.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't pinpoint why but I didn't much care for this blend. It has quality components but something about it put me off. I did manage to finish the tin though.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Smells like dirty feet and is very strong and peppery I get how you could like it just not for me same for HB

Bluefox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluefox (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The overall flavor and aroma is good. Unfortunately I am finding out that I do not care for perique. Just a little to spicy for my taste. To each his own though. Im sure some people will really like it judging by the number of spicy blends I have run across. Just not for me.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I have six ounces remaining of Old Joe cellared, bulk in jars, from a pound I purchased in 2007. I recently purchased another pound to cellar. Gentlemen, this is not even the same tobacco! It looks completely different and tastes nothing like the prior offering. I realize that the aging has changed the tobacco somewhat but i'm sorry, not to this extent. I cannot recommend this current offering of OJK. It is harsh, tastes like a cheap cigar and the room note is appalling. In fact, I can see what appears to be pieces of cigar wrapper leaf mixed in. The perique doesn't seem to be there like my previous batch, if at all. I dunno. I'm just like a big league umpire folks......I just calls 'em as I sees 'em!

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant

This blend came to me with a perfect moisture level but the blend looked like randomly chewed up mulch. There were some very fine pieces and some quite large partial leaves. The smell of the mix was unremarkable. This lit well and produced a good volume of smoke, but the flavor was quite unremarkable as well. It was full bodied and strong, but just not very good. Maybe I got the bottom of the bulk bag from which this came...who knows?! I have only tried 2 C&D blends and this is the first time I have seen poor quality control...I'm disappointed. OJK is a harsh old man and I'm not willing to take his poor behavior and shabby appearance again.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Very Strong Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Bulk: Reminds me of lightly musty grain bread, in a spectrum of browns and varied ribbon cut. I suppose the occasional black fleck is the perique. Since I got this in bulk-as a special deal from C&D-and it sat for a few months, it was already dry when it was smoked.

OJK gave a peppery feel on the tongue.

Overall: Nothing remarkable except for substantial woosiness from the nicotine, which seemed to peak well after being finished smoking a bowl. This is singularly recommended if you want to experience a heavy nicotine effect.

Very Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a classic American burley blend with harsh, masculine smoke and a powerful nicotine overdose, unfortunately my body is very sensitive to nicotine, therefore, this blend is not for me, I like American Burley such as Prince Albert and Carter Hall, Barbary Coast is also a favorite, but not this one.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Unnoticeable

Such a disappointment! Ordered 4 oz. and am giving 3 1/2 oz. to my wife for planting fertilizer.

Difficult to keep lit, Keeps raising up at the start and then as the bowl progresses, requires constant attention to keep lit. The taste is harsh with nothing that I can consider flavorful. No distinctive slipstream odor or room note. The worst part is a terrible after odor and taste left in the pipe after just one bowl, and the taste and odor just linger and linger if the bowl is not swabbed. My wife also says that after smoking this blend, I should immediately brush my teeth and use minted mouthwash.

Sorry to all you OJK lovers, this is just not for me.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought this in bulk. And was eager to try this because of the great reviews and the fact that I like perique blends a lot. However, the perique in this blend was not spicy, neither did I taste what is often referred to as 'dried fruit'. I just tasted a lot of salt and pepper. Especially the salty taste was very dominant, I got the idea that my mouth was full of sea water. Maybe to much perique?? So now I doubt if I am reviewing the same blend as other reviewers. Sorry, but this classic doesn't reach any further than 1 star, imo that is.

Tin Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tin Man (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable

It doesn't bite, burns easy, and has a nice, full flavor at times. Not sweet at all. This tobacco changes a lot on me. Maybe its just inexperience or something, but what's with that hellacious bitterness that jumps out and grabs my tonsils sometimes? I don't get it. May have to revisit this one in the future.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

There are better presentations of perique than this. Though I finished the tin without any reservations It is unlikely that I will seek another one.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)

I am a big fan of Burley/VA/Perique blends. I am also a big fan of C & D tobaccos. But for some reason this one didn't do it for me. I tried this from a tobacco box pass without knowing what was in it before I tried it. I was surprised to find out it had perique in it! I was impressed with it the most in the beginning and as the time went on I started thinking "Who is this Joe Krantz anyway?" and he missed it with this one. Sorry C & D but there are other tobaccos like this one out there that are much better than this one!

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This pipe-weed has the usual C&D quality tobaccos and offers easy packing, few relights, and an even burn due to the great cut.

Unfortunately, Old Joe disappointed me. I found the blend quite out of balance; the scales tipped way over with Perique. The burley had a fleeting whisper of presence, and the Virginia never let out a note. My tongue was convinced I had a mouthful of peppercorns. I wasn't able to finish the sampler, as she lays. As I do a bit of blending, I was able to salvage the remainder, and in the process, come up with some decent variants.

I can only recommend this blend to those pipesters with an unqualified fondness of Perique.

Not as powerful as Haunted Bookshop, less cigarish but also a bit more anonimous.

A decent smoke, but nothing particular to recommend.

Nojoqui Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nojoqui (28)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The first time I smoked this stuff I hit a "patch of Perique" that nearly blew my head off. Since then, I am a bit selective in how I load my pipe with OJK. With that, I can say it is a pretty good smoke. There seems to be a slight cigar taste to blend. If I want that taste I can get a much tastier dose of it by smoking Billy Budd. I'm at the crossroads in whether I'll buy another four ounce packet of this stuff. I might just miss it when I run out of it. I do love Perique, Burley, and Virginia tobaccos (not necessarily in that order), but think there are other blends of this type that will not give me that cigar taste that I don't really want unless it's called for. It pales in comparison to Haddo's Delight, so maybe I shouldn't compare the two. If both have a strong Perique element, and I have to choose,...give me Haddo's Delight any time.

This blend has a very savory, salty, peppery quality with a good nicotine kick. It is visually interesting, in that it looks like autumn leaves, and has a nice earthy, musty smell. It packs well. It lights well. However, tastes being what they are, this blend just didn't do it for me. Just too much perique. It really overwhelmed the other tobaccos. Every once in a while, the burley and Virginia would try to peek out. But the mighty perique held them down. Nevertheless this is a fine quality blend, and if you love perique, this should ring your bell!