This is virtually a blend reversal of Coniston Cut PLug with 75% Flue-cured Virginia. 16 % dark fired 9% Burley. The blend therefore has far milder characteristics; and is rounded off with the addition of typical English flavours, and a touch of vanilla.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringOther / Misc, Vanilla
Strength
Taste

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

No. 7 comes with a rustic broken flake appearance. It reminds me of Condor Original Long Cut flake in the bowl. It doesn't carry the strength of Dark Flake, or the topping of Ennerdale. It is lighter on the nicotine than Cannon Plug, but it is as semi-sweet as that honey dew topping. The essence fades to reveal an outstanding VA component. The vanilla is just detectable. This one might serve as all day smoke if I smoked all day. This smokes cool and bone-dry right out of the bag. No drying necessary. No bite potential. No challenges. This is a very pleasant Lakeland District broken flake.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What a boring name for a good Lakeland! Did GH run out of Northern landmarks? In any case, the florals in this are a bit less than Bosun cut plug, but more than made up with the vanilla and light spice. A solid blend that lit easily and smoked well. Lakeland fans should not miss this. All others, stay far away!

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Extremely addictive stuff. Delicious, even if the taste is not as 'clean' as my all-time favorite Bright CR Flake. High-quality Virginia, a generous but reasonable portion of Kendal sauce, burns slow and is not very particular about the pipe or packing method. I prefer to just stuff the pipe with #7 as it is, without rubbing it out fully, tastes better to me.

Dry out well and enjoy!

Will buy more and recommend to any Kendal tobacco enthusiast.

Chops Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chops (3)

Upon opening No. 7, I was struck by a sharp perfume-like odor that didn't really bode well for the smoke to come. While I normally like GH & Co's mildly flavored tobaccos, I found this particular topping to be very distasteful. The harsh (I initially thought it was burning too hot), synthetic perfume-like flavor persists through the beginning of the smoke. Like other reviewers have noted, this eventually subsides to what turns out to be a fairly pleasant smoke. If only one could get around the first few minutes! I was not impressed even after setting it aside for a few weeks and giving it a second try. This is one to pass off to a friend who, hopefully, may find the flavoring to their liking. Perhaps you'll have a better experience.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Too much flavoring for me. It is not a scent I enjoy. Quality tobacco otherwise. I might try letting this dry and try it later. Sometimes that will subdue a too-strong flavoring.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

I have only smoked a few bowls so this is preliminary at best, but the tobacco deserves recognition. It is slightly perfumy to my nose and taste, but in a good way. When first smelling it in the bag, oh boy that smells good! The flake is broken into irregularly sized pieces so you can pack it as it is, or rub it out some more if you want. It burns beautifuly with a clean white ash. As already mentioned, the taste is a bit perfumed, but there is the creamy taste of the Scottish Cake there too. This is in, my opinion, an outstanding tobacco that can be smoked as often as craved. I find that craving does occur with this tobacco which tells me I like it a lot.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (89)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this blend to be pitch-perfect. The Lakeland flavor is moderate at best, the faint lingering sweetness is divine and this mixture is superbly balanced with absolutely no mid to end-bowl bitterness. It’s nowhere near as scented as the pouch note suggests and the smoke is quite delicate both in flavor and overall mouthfeel. Altogether the ubiquitous G&H soapiness is present but with adequate dry time the side stream hints much more at vanilla extract than it does a floral or herbal flavor. Liberal dry time also reduces any chance of bite. With a name like No. 7 Broken Flake, this one is going to fly under the radar of many pipe smokers, even those of us that adore these quirky old world Kendal products. I wish I had discovered this one earlier. Probably one of the only scented Lakelands that I could easily smoke all day.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one earns just 2-stars. Though it is claimed that #7 is a blend reversal of Coniston Cut Plug (CCR) I am dubious that I could determine such a close family resemblance on my own. #7 seems to be quite different than CCR. I really enjoy CCR, but, though I don't dislike #7, I am simply not all that impressed with it. In comparison to CCR, #7 seems lacking and it is not nearly as interesting and complex. And I believe that there are other G&H flakes that have more to offer as well.
I might find myself slightly recommending this broken flake to the newcomer to G&H flake tobaccos, but not necessarily newcomers to pipe smoking (it may be a bit too strong.) I think that devotees of G&H tobaccos (especially devotees of the stronger blends) are going to find this one a bit underwhelming. I don't want to imply that #7 is not a decent tobacco; it simply doesn’t match my requirements.
Once again, if you don't like the casing and its impact on the blend, you're not going to like the tobacco regardless of how good it might be.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lakeland-style tobaccos: They're not for everybody. I'm a fan of the Lakelands, myself and I've liked just about everything that GH & Co. produces. This has become one of my favorites. No. 7 is comprosed of some fine Virginias and Burleys and the essence that is applied is restrained, but definitely present. I don't get a lot of Vanilla flavor, but I do get all of the floral notes, but that's not what this blend is really about, I think. This blend is about some top quality tobaccos and a little something extra.

It's not a perfume explosion like Ennerdale, but definitely a GH tobacco. The Lakeland essence, while quite noticeable at first, begins to fade into the background after about the 1/4 bowl mark at which point, they come in and out of the smoking experience. Like the previous reviewer, I would have preferred just a bit more of the Lakeland flavor, but it is still an excellent smoke. If you like Lakeland tobaccos, this should definitely be on the top of your list.

Another nice offering from GH. Medium brown broken flakes - similar to Rum Flake - and with a moisture content suitable for immediate smoking. Very mild cocoa scent from the bag and some florals and soap as typical of GH. Loading and lighting were a breeze. The overall smoke was one of a slight spice to the tongue (not bite). It didn't smoke hot or produce any moisture while smoking. A typical Burley Virginia mixture, moderately spicy. Mildly floral, not soapy, no discernible taste of cocoa, but this is picked up while lighting and in the side stream. No overt floral taste except for the slight bitterness (in a good way) that florals always seem to have from GH. Would be a good start for those trying out Lakelands. A little more flavoring for me would have been preferred. Overall recommended and definitely one for my weekly rotation.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

If you like scented flakes, you'll probably like this one. At the beginning of the bowl the scenting can be a bit over-the-top, but it quickly settles in to a lovely background for a really good Virginia tobacco. I prefer to smoke ol' number 7 in a larger pipe; it burns nice and slow and stays "in the zone" for an extended period. I like this one a lot.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

#7 Broken Flake, yet another Gawith,Hoggarth floral blend. This one comes like a lot of G&H flakes end up anyway- broken. It smokes well just by packing as is. Though floral, it is much less so than, say Ennerdale or Bosun Cut Plug. The floral aspect quickly recedes, though it is detectable throughout the bowl via french inhaling. The Va flavor is very sweet and dominates in the second half of the bowl.

I agree with the above reviewers that there is a resemblence to Broken Scotch Cake and to Scotch Flake (very similar) as well. This seems to be a lot stronger in the nicotine than those however, and is best enjoyed in a small bowl.

I am still deciding which of the floral flakes I favor most, and this one is in the running.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Let's start on this tobacco's most obvious aspect: it is scented. When I got my GH sampler, I thought this would be as unpleasant as Conniston Cut Plug. I put the sample off until everything else had been smoked. In hindsight, that was an error.

Two things distinguish this from CCP. First, there is true Virginia flavor in the tobacco. Another reviewer mentioned that he recognized Scottish Flake-type characteristics, and I agree. This has that warm, cake-like flavor that makes so many GH flakes so satisfying. Second, the topping actually complements these flavors. The topping remains throughout the smoke, but recedes considerably, to the point where it becomes an integrated element of the blend.

I never thought this would appeal to me, but I was mistaken. Very tasty.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

No .7 Broken Flake . Lets start with the initial aroma of the unlit product , very incongruous , sort of like opening my wife's make up box as it is so "perfume" like . The moistness of the Tobacco is really good , neither too damp nor dry . It crumbles with ease and does not necessitate much preparation time . It takes to the flame with ease , burns even and steadily . The Nicotine level I find quite pleasing as its about their Louisiana Flake level and if you choose to inhale the smoke it causes no discomfort . On the negative side it does have (like the unlit tobacco) a "perfume" like taste with a flowery touch which is not completely egregious , it just gets a touch "too much" after a while and you cant ignore it anymore . That spoils this a bit as it impedes upon the lovely Virginia and Burley flavors . It doesn't bite me , no matter how hard and frequent I draw . The room note is not as perfume like as the smoke , just very mediocre . Shame about the excess perfume taste , if it were abated a touch it would make for a better smoke and score more points !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (31)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had few bowls of this fine tobacco as my friend gave me some to try it out. He smokes this a lot, and in his office you can always smell some of it's aroma. I liked it from the first puff, as it reminded me of the Condor and st. Bruno. Not exactly that Lakeland floral aroma, but there is something that resembles. There sure is a geranium rose essence in the casing. Maybe there is vanilla also, but I didn't smell it at all. It's a mellow smoke, because of the burley I guess. Still not as good and straight forward as straight VA's. As predominantly latakia and VA/Vaper smoker, I found this interesting enough, also satisfying, not overwhelming, and a smoke that can go perfectly in the morning with your coffee. It bothers however if you smoke it constantly. You get fed up with it and bored. There is something nasty about these Lakeland style aromatics that don't let you smoke them all the way. There is just a limit for the floral smell after which it gets not artificial, but just "too much". Add a bit of dark aroma (vanilla maybe?) to that, and it becomes heavy. As a treat every once in a while it's ok, but not for every day, not for a regular smoke. Just like the cake and the bread. You can eat bread everytime, but you get fed up with cakes and sweets easily.

But that's just my opinion as a LAT/VA/VA-Per smoker. Others may find it delightful.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 8;

After Taste = 8;

Raw Score = 48;

Rated Percentage = 80%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Medium Strength, has the Famous Lakeland Floral Flavor, slight Bite

ADz Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ADz Pipes (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mix it with Erinmore mixture and it becomes the BLAKEMAR mix and its superb all day smoke - makes it a nutty sweet - but not over sweet, smoke, with a stunning room note, and very pleasant taste! I would not be without some in my stock.

Let me say that I am a fan of the British Highland type of blends, I just love Condor so I am not new to toppings on a good Virginia base. This blend falls into this catagory and I have enjoyed it, I just don't love it. For my tastes, it is a little to mild on the topping to be in this catagory yet to topped for a good VA lover. It comes in a broken flake and must be rubbed out a bit and I liked it best dried out overnight. It is a mix of medium to dark brown color and the pouch aroma is somewhat tangy yet sweet. It produces on first light, and it does light very easily and stays lit well, it produces a semi sweet, creamy smoke with a tartness to it. I did not find it overly soapy nor did I ever really taste nay vanilla in it though I could detect it in the room note. The room note is pleasant, sweet and not cigarette like as a lot of VA's can be. As I smoked it down the bowl, it never had any bite but if smoked to fast it got a little unpleasant but smoked slow it is a nice smoke. It never really gained any strenth to speak of until the last of the bowl and then it got a little harsh. It burned down without relites and to a light grey ash and a little dottle at the bottom of the pipe. While I would say this is an enjoyable blend, I can't highly recommend it, there are better in it's type. But I will smoke the rest I have and will enjoy it.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

very fine virginia, in combination with a rather discreet dark fired and some burley to round it off. the scent seems rather overwhelming in the pouch aroma, but is a lot less massive when the tobacco is lit - and the broken flakes pack and light easily. during the smoke, the virginia slowly comes to the foreground, and around the 2/3 mark, it actually does taste a bit like gallaher's rich dark honeydew. only a bit, though, and not enough to justify it being reccommended "for those who enjoyed gallaher's rdh", as one vendor puts it.

it's a quality smoke, no doubt, but i do feel that it would be more to my taste with a little less flavouring.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

As always, I recommend my beloved traditional soapy blends! This in particular could please even who usually doesn't like this kind of blend, because the flavouring is mild in the beginning and almost disappears going on down the bowl. The leaves involved are top quality, as usual with G&H, the burning cool and dry and without any tongue bite. Very good.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Have just finished sampling a variety of G & H lightly flavored tobaccos. DVC was too harsh and one dimensional for my taste; Glengarry remained too flavored throughout for my palate and nose; #7 Broken Flake was very good for someone who prefers non-flavored virginias. The initial few minutes of the smoke revealed some of the mild flavorings in this tobacco that were in fact pleasing to my senses, but these soon dissipated and what remained was a very pleasant, tasty, and enjoyable smoke. For a change of pace for us pure virginia lovers, this one will most certainly satisfy your palate.

MikeB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeB (15)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Very strong tobacco. I have some trouble with rubbing out the flake. But thats due to inexperience.

The tin aroma is amazing but it is too much for an inexperienced smoker.

I will definitely try this again in a few months.