A unique mixture of selected tobaccos including golden Virginia and black cavendish, topped with a cream caramel flavor. To make this wonderful tobacco even more attractive, it is blended with hand-rubbed Virginia flake which results in a fantastic aroma.

BrandPeterson
Taste

2.1
flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)

Wow...this one is not so good for me. The tobbaco smells nice, but the smoke is basically tasteless with the exception of a chemical, burning tang. Dissapointing blend from Peterson.

Peterson - Sweet Killarney.

Contrary to popular opinion I actually quite enjoyed this. You can easily detect the caramel/cream in it which I found to be of a pleasant strength. On the negative side (as many state) if you draw hard it will bite quite strongly, so approach it with ease. If taken steadily I found it to be quite forgiving with tongue bite, though. The taste is very sweet which may be too much for many people but the sweetness can be easily identified as caramel/cream .

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I first tried Sunset Breeze (the other aromatic in the Peterson aromatic series) and because it was way too sweet for me, I avoided trying Sweet Killarney for several months. I recently gave it a shot and was glad I did.

Unlike Breeze, Killarney is not as heavily cased and smoked more like tobacco. The tin says the blend has a caramel topping. I guess that flavor just appeals to me when I smoke it. I also received sort of a light chocolate/vanilla taste.

This blend is easy to load, smokes mostly dry and cool, and will leave you satisfied if you enjoy aromatics with a little more tobacco backbone.

Guillaume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guillaume (15)

After a pipeful or two, I must confess that I have felt very disappointed with this tobacco: in the tin, this aromatic has an incredibly great smell. However, I had no pleasure smoking it : the promising "crème caramel" flavouring seemed to have disappeared.

After a while, I opened the tin once again, and… Guess what? I could not stop from smoking it. Is it the (short) ageing, or a slight change in my palate? I cannot tell.

Nevertheless, these days, this is one of my favourite tobaccos after a heavy lunch or dinner. I smoke it with a coffee and it seems to me that I need no dessert!

Pipe Used: Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish 606

Age When Smoked: Fresh the first time, then about 6 months

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I think the negative views of this tobacco is a bit unfair. I'm a fan of Petersen tobaccos with Irish Oak and Irish flake my favourites. I won't say Sweet Killarney is another favourite but, on the other hand, it's not really as bad as some of the reviews make it. I dry the tobacco spread open on a piece of paper. I "prime" my pipe after it's been charged with SK; light the tobacco until it's burning evenly. I then tamp it down a bit and leave the pipe for, say an hour. When I then relight, the peppery taste is amost gone completely and I enjoy the baccy. I like the sweetness, very nice room note, good nicotine kick and the fact that it burns down to dottle. No gurgle, no tongue bite. A good tobacco over all. I always have a tin in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Savinelli and Goussard freehand

Purchased From: Curiosity Hut

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Very Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I have been smoking a pipe for over a decade and I would like to think my technique is down pat as I can smoke Virginia's with patience and control and do not get bitten anymore but boy this and Sunset Breeze bit the living hell out of me. Maybe they are like Macbaren's tobacco that is designed for Europeans to smoke through a filter... I don't know but I do not want to go through the bite again. Smelled good though....

st.Hellvis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
st.Hellvis (5)

One of my Saturday favorites! This sweet aromatic is my candy, I do have a sweet tooth and I enjoy the mild caramel taste and the light body of this tobacco. Must be smoked light and slow or it will give you some toungebite, but in my Jima pipe it works perfect.

Pipe Used: Jima

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)

Again Peterson hits the mark albeit mildly with a very pleasing aromatic blend. The tin note is frankly out of this world. You get caramel you get honey you even get a fudge smell. Light up was fine and first puff or two were really tasty. Things settled down a bit and the flavors started becoming very mild. Hints of honey and caramel and something that seemed like perhaps chocolate but these flavors are only hints. Peterson has developed some nice blends and this is another one. These are all very mild blends ment to be sipped not puffed. I find smoking with a P-lip stem makes the flavor and taste last a bit longer and remain cooler. This is a very pleasing aromatic blend that just about anyone can enjoy. By the way the smoke smells delicious so the wife may accept this blend in the house!!!!.............or not😔

Pipe Used: Peterson P-lip

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Tolerable

Sweet Killarney? Uh-uh, Sweet Lord! What is this mixture of nastiness? Can't be tobacco?...can it? The pseudo caramel casing inundated my senses and it was like a vomitus coating of saccharine had plated my palate. I found nothing redeeming about this horrible mess. This is the worst aromatic I have ever encountered and it may very well have ruined my pipe. Time to break out the everclear, brush and about a dozen pipe cleaners. Blecky poo, Peterson, ewww! DLTISBS

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I should have learned from my experience with their Sherlock Holmes blend, but oh well. This tobacco has a wonderful caramel tin note. Other than that, it's pretty useless. The worst tobacco that I have ever tried by far. The first puff isn't so bad. After that, your taste buds become so steamed that you cannot taste anything. The room note was barely noticeable and nothing to write home about. I gave this tin away too (although it would have been a great potpourri just to leave out on the nightstand). No more Peterson blends for me. Lesson learned this time.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and aged 1 month

Purchased From: The Squire, Charleston, WV

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (13)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Nice tin aroma. Fruity and perhaps a bit nutty [burley?]. Always a hot burn. Lacks depth although a 'woody' taste becomes apparent as the bowl heats up. With little character, and a tendency to become a little 'bitey' I set this blend aside for some months and came back to it again tonight several hours after a pipe of Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake and confirm that Sweet Killarney is a nondescript aromatic that is no longer going to find space in my tobacco stocks. Try something else!!

Pipe Used: Peterson 221, 999; Falcon bent stem, deep bowl

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

A delightful tin note masks what is otherwise a flat, one-dimensional tobacco. Good for potpourri and tongue-bite. Peterson makes some fine blends. Unfortunately this is not among them.

Skyrocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skyrocket (1)

Even after smoking a pipe for over 40 years, I still look for the illusive perfect blend. I do prefer aromatics, but find many of them quite lacking. I got a tin of Sweet Killarney when I bought a new Peterson pipe from Smoking Pipes.com.

I was surprised to see so many negative reviews for the Peterson Sweet Killarney. I think it has a pleasant taste, nearly zero tongue bite, and almost no aftertaste. There are many other blends that when I awake the next morning, it tastes like rodents marched through my mouth during the night.

It does seem to have a bit of a nicotene hit, which I don't care for. But, in my GBD Dublin, which is rather small, it smoked for 1hr 15min. Perhaps that's why the N hit. Perhaps half a bowl will be sufficient.

All in all, I find it a pleasant tin of tobacco. I will try another, and see if it varies from tin to tin. It could be that I got one of the good ones, not to be repeated.

Pipe Used: GBD

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes.com

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (46)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A friend of mine posed a question "If you are stranded on a desert Island with baccy. which blend(s) would you have?" And as for english blends I had many, but for aromatics, it was this one, no competition. A really great aromatic.. smooth... , good burner, gives a lot of complements on room note

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula 999

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (27)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I tried, i swear i tried to like it. But it doesnt let you. Sweet Kill-tongue-y. Sweet disillusion.

It is true that in the tin it smells wonderful, sweet caramel with a hint of vanilla, not overhelming... but that is not the really important thing for a smoker, as we dont smell the tobacco, we smoke it. And when it comes to smoke it Sweet Killarney betrays you fully. It is also true, it burns hot, no matter the technique employed, no matter the pipe used, no matter anything. It is a tobacco that has an over irritable temper. It gets hot easily and obliges you to lay down your pipe. So expect multiple relights if you want to avoid a severe tongue burn. Strike one.

There is something with the taste also, while it may bring a scent of mild caramel with hints of vanilla in between the sugary texture of virginias, something quite denotes a background that is not likeable, something ashy and astringent in the very bad sense, and as this increases the shadow of the tongue bite increases as well. Strike two.

And as you proceed with this caution that is similar to the one from a vigilante carrying some kind of Doctor Lecter, watching every step from his behaviour, in the end the whole task leaves you unfullfilled, and bored. Strike three.

Sweet killarney is a tobacco i wouldnt recommend at all, for been a caramel tobacco coming from such a reputed trademark as Peterson this is simply very mediocre and even dangerous. If you want to pass my word and try it, be my guest, but remember that we warned you!

Mr.Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Peterson (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I love this tobacco. Sweet and creamy. will be on my third tin soon.

You don't get the creamy hit until you're half way through the bowl. Very nice smoke and no moisture.

If you like dry smokes and tasty aromatics that are sweet then give it a go!

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran 80s

Age When Smoked: straight from tin

Purchased From: thebackyshop.co.uk

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Don't be fooled by the nice aroma of the tin - none of it is present in the smoke. The dominant flavor (caramel) is mostly accompanied by vanilla notes. The flavor is more of an insinuation than a definite presence.

Allow some aeration time prior to enjoying for the first time - as mentioned by others, a perceivable excess in humectant additive can lead to hot, steamy, tongue-biting smoke.

Pipe Used: Peterson Fermoy B11

Purchased From: Hemingway (Palo Alto, CA)

Cobman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobman (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I really don't understand the vehemently negative reviews of this blend. I am not sure we are even talking about the same tobacco.

I got this in a trade, so I don't know how old it was. Opening the tin, the aroma was of wonderful yellow Virginia with it's characteristic fruity/citrusy nose, and a little musky sweetness, probably from the Maryland Cavendish. There was a noticeable hint of caramel, but only in the background. Mostly what I smelled was yellow Virginia. The moisture content was perfect. The cut seemed to be a mixture of broken flake and ribbon cut. There was none of the catsup smell that I would've expected from flake Virginia.

It packed nicely and lit easily in my cob. The first few puffs threatened to to bite. so I slowed down on puffing, and the blend settled down quickly. The smoke was silky smooth, mild to medium, and seductivley sweet, like the Girl-Next Door wanting to be a vamp. The taste was mostly wonderful yellow Virginia, and a little musky black cavendish. The caramel taste was there, but way in the background...just enough.The sweetness was not a casing taste, but more just from sweet Virginia and a little Cavendish. It was mostly a great yellow Virginia, so it probably can bite if provoked. The room note was just a clean tobacco aroma with a hint of caramel...very pleasant to innocent bystanders, or so I was told.

The flavor never changed all the way to the bottom, and it all burned to a fine ash with no dottle or gurgling. I only had to relight once (probably due to an error in packing on my part).

I found this to be an outstanding blend for what it is...a sweet, what I would call a semi-aromatic, yellow Virginia blend. I like sweet smokes. If you don't, well, all I can say is read the tin. It says it right on the top, "Sweet Killarney". They do not lie.

I think if you were to add just a pinch or two of Latakia to this, you would have a blend comparable to Dunhill's magnificent The Aperitif (my favorite).

If you like sweet tobaccos, but not overly flavored, then this is a blend you'll really want to try. Treat it gentle and it will give you an enjoyable cruise. If you Hot Rod it, I am sure you will probably crash-and-burn.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Mark Twain Cob

Age When Smoked: unsure

Purchased From: tobacco trade

Similar Blends: Missouri Meerschaum Great Dane, Mclelland #400 Creme Carmel, Sutliff Creme Brûlée, Orlik Club Mixture.

p.Holloway Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.Holloway (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

When I 1st opened the tin and smelled the blend I was almost sure I was going to enjoy this. Sadly I was mistaken. The aroma was far more appealing than the smoke. Little to no flavor except on the first few puffs after which starts to bite.

Pipe Used: Peterson Calabash, Dr. Grabow Duke

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Peterson definitely missed the boat on this blend. They are trying to hit a Nolan Ryan fastball and are failing miserably in the attempt. Don't even bother with this one.

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The room note and aroma coming out of the tin set you up for disappointment. Taste is bland and it burns hotter than other Peterson blends. I much prefer Connoisseur's Choice or Deluxe blend over Sweet Killarney. It isn't bad but there are much better blends out there.

M42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M42 (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I don't hate Peterson and have no idea what is going on here. But I do know this is one tobacco that missed its potential. The tin aroma is wonderful as is the room aroma. However, the taste is bland and the tobacco smokes very hot and gave me the worse case of tongue bite I have ever experienced. I wanted to like this tobacco so much because of the pleasant room aroma, but no matter what pipe I smoked it in - including very large bowls or how slow I smoked it I could not keep it from burning hot and frying my tongue. I just with Peterson would put this flavoring on better leaf.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

Many smokers are disappointed with the 'bland' taste of Sweet Killarney, and it's true that the tin aroma is intensive, while the smoke is comparably 'empty'. A very hot smoker, so you better accompany it with something to drink - a milk tea, coffee with cream or a hot chocolate would fit best, or maybe an iced Bailey's or a vanilla milk shake, IMO. Not too much nicotine, so a good morning smoke (as I have it right now, without Bailey's but a cup of cappuccino) without many highs and lows. Selected leafs are of very good quality, the rather dry ribbons I got burn down evenly. Not that many of the mentioned "hand-rubbed VA flakes". Room aroma is more than pleasant - sweet, light, very slight bitter touch (Burley's?). It is maybe worth to mention that the flavouring is probably meant to be like this: giving a little touch and allowing the underlying tobaccos to develop their natural taste. Sweet Killarney is not as sauced as "Connoisseurs Choice" or "Sunset Breeze", it rather competes with "W.O. Larsen No.80" or "Mac Baren's Original Choice" in terms of casing intensity. I would call it a light aromatic, not as Danish as Danske Club or the Truffles, and by far not as sloppily blended as Borkum Riff. It strongly depends on your oral chemistry, I noticed. Give it a chance in different pipes, different times a day. Not Peterson's best (maybe their worst?) but it still gets 3 of 5 stars. Update 2014-01-28 Yeah, this stuff bites. I recently discovered that it tries to emulate some Irish Cream like Bailey's.

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (15)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm keen on most Peterson blends. However, this is probably the rotten apple in the barrel. It's just so...bland. Whilst I have persevered with this tin ( which is a bad sign for me), perseverance has led to disappointment. The aroma is the one strength but this tobacco burns too quickly, and I draw gently on my church warden it still can turn too hot. This is one of the three I wouldn't recommend. The other two are Irish Oak and Sherlock Holmes.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (52)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not sure if this post should count as a review, I remember not being able to finish a whole bowl of this.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Sweet Kilarney is shit............... Save your money.

This shit tasted like a hot chemical factory, ignore what anyone else says, as they are probably from Peterson's and are promoting this debacle.

It is shit. Smokes like shit and is shit.

This is a total abortion of a blend from Peterson's, in fact, why are they even still selling this stuff.

Hot, rank, artificial, and a total waste of time. Let alone money!!

C R A P ! ! ! ! !

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

got this in trade, I came up short on this deal, This stuff is pure crap in a can

Smoke this and you'd think Paladin is an upgrade!

don't waste your money on this nasty shit.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Fornicate me!!!!!!

The single worst tobacco since modern day 'Clan' that I've ever tasted.

It was like smoking 'white hot' bubble blow mixture that the kids play with in the back garden during a birthday party.

Worst of the Peterson range by a country mile. Which is a shame as some of their aro's are standouts. Why on earth do they still process this abortion of a blend is way beyond me.

After popping the vacuum sealed tin, and smoking just one bowlfull, I promptly emptied the rest of the tins contents over the flower borders in my garden. A perfect way I think to stop cats shitting on the Fucias... Total toxic waste in a tin. Don't waste your time or money.

Blerk!!!!!

De Luxe blend, Connisours Choice, or Sunset Breeze are the aromatic standout's that Peterson produce.

This Sweet Kilarney garbage needs to be dropped from their range.....now.

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (14)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Never has a tobacco offered so much and delivered so little. There is not much I can add to what other reviewers have said here save to add my criticism. The tobacco smells wonderful when you pop the tin and makes you want to fill a bowl as soon as possible. However, once lit you are given a bitter tasting, hot smoke which bites from the first puff. I rarely suffer from tongue bite but I had to stop smoking this after about 5 minutes, although I tried to persevere it was just really unpleasant. As for that aroma, where did it go?! Avoid.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Typical Peterson's blend. On opening the tin a nice (but unidentifiable) aroma will greet you.

That aroma doesn't hang around for long and after lighting I can detect no aroma whatsoever and can taste absoultely nothing. It doesn't burn particularly well, either. Needs constant relighting.

Thought it needed a little drying out as it was rather moist, but that didn't make any difference.

Half a tin later I still haven't changed my mind. Won't buy Sweet Tastlessness again in a hurry.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (30)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This was my first Peterson blend, and boy, was it an education. This tobacco will bite, hard. I had the sores on my tounge to prove it. This blend needs to be babied, and sipped. Peterson blends, I have found, are delecate and tasteful (when treated properly). Sweet Kilarney is no exception. Treat this blend like you would treat your love, kindly and gentally, and it will repay you in full.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong

EDIT: I am marking this down to two stars, it just bites too bad, but it is an interesting and mature candy tobacco, these days I can see this as a 'to mix with' only tobbacco, which would add a desert sweetness to your favorite flake or latakia, would keep the wife happy.

My first ever smoke, I don't puff on this one too much anymore, but I do like caramel, and find this does have some nice earthy undertones for a "candy" tobacco. I feel reviewers are a little hard on this one. People say peterson blends are bland, i would prefare to say 'modern' or popularistic. I like my aro's and my peterson's, I began with them and have returned to them after spending alot of money and effort sampling more 'serious' brands and blends over the past year.

A good desert baccy, with some nice peaty hints in the background, great room note, one for the ladies, yes very sweet but not too sweet, yes it does bite, but what doesn't these days. If you liked toffee instead of hardboils or jellies when you were a kid, you'll like this.

Most recently I mixed this with little Old Dublin (Latakia), sweet caramel with latakia, yes it still bites, but it goes really well together, I don't know if this breaks any cardinal rules, but it works for me.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Very similar (slightly better, maybe) to Sunset Breeze: a bit less sticky to the touch and nauseating to the nose, but the philosophy is identical. There's some black cavendish less, and more broken flake, but what dominates is the topping. As usual, great for those around you (I have got many compliments from colleagues at work!), but very unsatisfying for the smoker: while there is some taste of the casing, it is not as pleasant and sweet as the smell would suggest (and if it were, it would probably be too nauseating). There is some tobacco taste here and there, but I keep getting a much nicer natural, pleasant and fulfilling sweetness from some uncased Virginia flakes! Not to mention about the acrid notes that emerge towards the bottom of the bowl. Bad? Well, no, at least if this is your kind of tobacco. But I can't find any reason to buy another tin of it.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Very Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

I received a tin of this from my spouse's mother, not because she hates the unflavored tabac I usually puff, but because she was unsure what to purchase for me. After smoking the entire tin, I can only say:great thought but I'll pick my own leaf. Casing is aggresive to say the least and the burley shows up to score your tongue whenever you attempt to pull hard enough to taste anything remotely like tobacco, which may or may not be lurking in this putrid concoction. If I ever have an inclination for a sweet smoke I'll reach for Golden Diced or Vanilla Cream, but not this abbhorent offering.

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (18)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Now don't go thinking I'm not the sort of guy to give this tobacco a fair chance; I smoked the whole tin of it before making up my mind. Please don't think I don't like aromatics; occasionally I'll still reach for 509 or Cn. Black. And virginias are my staple choice. So with that in mind, let us continue to the review.

The stuff has a good appearance of lemon and bright virginia and an aroma good enough to eat right out of the tin. The charring light gives one the impression that one might like the tobacco.

The charring light lies. This is the most unpredictable, badly behaved tobaccos I have ever smoked. Some whiffs were pure flavoring, others were pure cigarette tobacco. Still others were an unpleasant amalgam of the two. Making matters worse, the flavor lingers in any pipe you smoke it in.

You might very well like this tobacco. Unfortunately, I do not.

Liam Tyr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liam Tyr (17)
Overwhelming Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

I really like Peterson, I love their Pipes, I love their history, I love their passion for pipe smoking. That being said, I really disliked this tobacco.

Tin - After i purchased it and got it home i realized something a bit odd, the tin label looked like it was slapped on off center. I looked at the reverse side of the tin and that was off center as well. I looked closer at the tin and noticed that it looked like it had been used as a puck in a hockey match. This is just one of those simple things that irritates me, presentation is important. I opened the tin hoping for the promised creme caramel, and what I got was intense spiced chemicals.

Handling - The paper inner liner was saturated with stains and the card cover was warped from moisture. The story doesn't really get any better from here. The tobacco was a goopy mess. I tried to dry it out a bit (1 hour) before loading it in my pipe, but the oils were just too much to over come. It handled badly, smelled strange and looked pretty sad and lifeless.

Smoking - None the less, I put it into my pipe.... I so wish I hadn't. I wont even go into it. It was nasty and chemical tasting, with a foul aroma that even pissed off the dog. I ended up having to cleanse my pipe and ream it to get the funk out. It was awful.

Conclusion - Avoid it, it's not good, it's not friendly, it's just nasty. There are plenty of other great tasting blends from Peterson, this is just one that should be discontinued.

Pipe Used: Peterson Canadian

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: A chemical burn.

Robykeys82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robykeys82 (20)
Medium Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This was one of the first tins I purchased, and I was attracted by the Caramel flavour. The tin aroma is awesome, simply awesome. Once lit, the tobacco provides a nice aroma, although the heavy casing tends to make this tobacco burn hot quickly. So, be careful with your draws. Honestly, I find there are other tobaccos which are worse than this, so...if you are an aromatic guy, you might consider purchasing this!

Pipe Used: Frabenver

Age When Smoked: 0-1 Year

Purchased From: Peterson Shop, Dublin

Sage of Pittsburgh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sage of Pittsburgh (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A lite sweet aero, mid/mild room notes. A warm wintery mix built for a cabin by the fire. Well appricated by friends it has been shared with and a joy to smoke along with sips of cinnamon vanilla bailey's. I enjoy this blend, a soft bite when drawn hard; Consistent flavor from tip to tail.

Pipe Used: 2013 Peterson Pipe of the Year

Age When Smoked: 1

Purchased From: Maduro

Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a very mild mixture. I don't get much from the underlying tobaccos, but what little there is seems pleasant enough, and I don't get any of the chemical tastes others report. For me, there is a touch of bite, but then I am a steadier puffer than most; I doubt most careful sippers would find even the little I did. The caramel is present but not very strong. Those looking for a mild aromatic should probably give this a try, but I think most others would find this at least slightly unsatisfactory.

Pipe Used: briars

Age When Smoked: 4.5 years since gifted

Purchased From: gift

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This pipe tobacco is for those who have a sweet tooth.

The tin note smells intensely of caramel like a box of toffee with only subtle hints of tobacco scent.

The ribbon cut contains some bits and pieces of broken flake as promised and easily be filled into your bowl. Personaly, I use the Frank method. Lighting usually a single charring and true light, after which the tobacco burns down evenly.

As any Virginia based blend, Sweet Killarney needs to be smoked coolly or it'll loose a lot of its aroma and will bite your tongue. The creamy taste of caramel is quite strong and sweet, and it only weakens towards the end of bowl, but there's still some tangy tobacco flavor in the background. All in all it can be a pleasant smoke.

The room note is sweetish and pleasant, too.

Pipe Used: Chieftain's Balance

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was quite pleased with this blend. The taste is mild to a low medium, and is of a basic nutty and sweet tobacco with mild whiskey and apricot. The smell is wonderful, as told to me by everyone who walked past me in the shop where I bought it.

Mild and pleasant all around. Might not appeal to someone who is used to heavy flavor bombs. I find smoking this slowly but steadily gives it the most flavor.

Pipe Used: Comoy 'second' bulldog

Purchased From: Brown's Cigar Store

Kermit Dorman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kermit Dorman (5)

Sweet this tobacco is in aroma, smell and taste. A super tobacco with a pleasant after taste. It is a medium even burn in the bowl. An enjoyable tobacco and making you come back for a second bowl.

Pipe Used: Rattray

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop - http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk

Grrr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grrr (4)

Quite honestly? Not one of Peterson's better offerings. The cavendish was barely discernible in my tin. Very much a bias to virginia than most other of their aromatics, and without much flavour other than dull and otherwise a bit unpleasant.

A disappointing experience I won't be repeating. I like a good hit of cavendish so would recommend Connoisseur's Choice or Deluxe Mixture on that basis. I haven't yet tried Gold Blend or Sunset Breeze so can't comment, but they seem to promise a better experience. Will follow up when I've had the pleasure!

Pipe Used: Savinelli 626 half bent

Purchased From: Edwards, Hanley, Stoke on Trent

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This blend is kind of different than your average aromatic. The casing seemed light, even though to me it seemed like it was trying to hard to taste good. The room note is incredible. Anyone who gets a whiff of that will be pleased.

I, however, was not pleased with the taste and the tongue bite from smoking just a little fast. Other Peterson blends do not usually burn, but I had problems with this.

The flavor and smell seemed to be Caramel. Which was very good, but nonetheless, I prefer a good taste, that's long lasting and smooth over smell.

Pipe Used: Peterson System (Bent)

pylorns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylorns (14)
Very Mild Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Almost sticky sweet, when I cracked the tin I was greeted with an over abundance of sweet fruit. Drying out helps this tobacco immensely in my opinion. Smoking in my peterson system pipe - there was a slight bite to it, but very faint. Once dry it smoked without much relight.

Purchased From: Heroes and Legacies

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)

Initially purchased with the rest of the complete peterson range of tobacco to try out a tin of each for a trial.

As a beginner i was far too forgiving of bad mannered tobacco and i would overlook all too easily the bad aspects, because i thought it was just my own amateurism or i assumed this was a pipeing standard.

Sickly sour chemical topped tongue biter-an absolute uncompromising whore. Seeks every opportunity to bite-what does this?;-is it the topping or the tobacco? Possibly a nice tobacco underneath-the flake bits leaves a nutty cigarish aftertaste,and thats about all after your taste buds have been scortched beyond use.

This was complete shit and i will never ever purchase it again.

One star.

Prior Wrath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prior Wrath (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Sweet Killarney stings like a hornet during the first half of a bowl no matter how slow you smolder it. During the last half it gets much easier and more tasty. The flavor is so fantastic that I'll gladly suffer a bit of a bite for it. Definitely not a weed for everyone, especially if you have an issue with tonguebites. I love it! Extra point for a superior wife rating. I got laid just for the room note.

nismo270r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nismo270r (2)

This is one of the first tins I purchased when I started smoking. The tin has been open and aging roughly 5 months or so and is definitely still very moist in the tin. After sitting out to dry for about 30 minutes it stayed lit with minimal relights. Even after the aging, letting it sit out, and smoking slowly, it still seemed to burn pretty wet. The flavor wasn't bad for the first half of the bowl, but seemed to get a bit "chemical" tasting after that. The tin aroma is great, but not one I would purchase again.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)

I've seen a lot of bad reviews of this blend and I'm very curious as to why. The tin that I bought of this blend was quite wonderful. I loved the creamy caramel flavor. It's almost as flavorful to smoke for me as it smells in the tin. It burns pretty evenly and not nearly as quickly as the Sherlock Holmes blend also by Peterson. Anywhere I've smoked it Sweet Killarney as been well received, even by non-smokers. Personally I would absoultely reccommend this blend, especially to a first time or new smoker since it was the first tin I purchased very early in my smoking and didn't give me any tongue bite or problems with heat. I guess to each his own.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)

EDITED I have never tried this mixture. Evidently, someone posted this review under my name. Whoever it was, they evidently like SK.

This is fantastic stuff! It has a delicate taste of danish pastry and I find myself craving it. It is wonderful with coffee as a first pipe of the day. I feel compelled to warn anyone who smokes OTC baccy to avoid this blend. If they ever try this they can never go back to the cheap drug store muck. Highly recommended.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)

I found this blend to be similar to Blue Note & Solani 131 Red Label in tin aroma & similar in taste, strength, etc., but not a total clone. This one isn't too bitey but one must take care to sip while indulging. Not overly searing to the palate for an aromatic & does provide a slightly sweet flavor.

It leaves no goopy dottle in the bowl but it will leave a ghost in there for the next couple of rounds. I don't smoke many aromatics these days & this review is based only on the merits of an aromatic blend. It didn't propel me into purchasing another tin. Could use a bit of "refinement." Therefore, IMHO, Peterson's Sweet Killarney blend merits two stars.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (17)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin I thought I was in for an olfactory treat because this blend smells great; I couldn't have been more wrong.

It's a bland blend.

Don't smoke it. Instead use as potpourri, it'll make your house smell nice.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)

Great tin aroma. That's where it stops. Little hot. Little uneventful. Not a lot to offer to the match. Not one of Peterson's best offerings. Two stars because it's not horrid. IMHO

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (32)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

sadly not the best from Peterson's,i had one 50g tin and after that i never bothered to buy anymore,rather limp and uninteresting,it may well suit other pipe smokers but not me.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm not certain what passing fancy motivated me to pick up a tin of Sweet Killarney a few months back, but here it is nonetheless.

In the tin, Sweet Killarney looks a mix of black and gold Cavendish with some brighter yellow Virginia leaf. The tin aromas are pretty much as advertised—a pleasant vanilla custard nose with caramelized accents. My notes tell me that I found the first couple of bowls a little short and undefined as far as flavor goes and a little tongue nippy, too. Creme Caramel? Well…maybe. After all, the flavors of Creme Caramel are provided by little more than caramelized sugar and vanilla. The bowl I'm smoking right now is not especially nippy, but it is decidedly short on the intensity of flavor I expect from a good aromatic. And therein lies the problem with this stuff: there are far better similarly flavored aromatics available made from higher quality tobacco and displaying much better smoking characteristics.

To my mind, Sweet Killarney fits into the great bulky middle of the aromatic quality hierarchy. It doesn't approach the excellence of a handful of the genre but is also far from being genuinely unpleasant.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This the second Peterson aromatic I've tried and i didn't enjoy it as much as Golden Blend, thye first. This blend is a vanilla flavored aromatic that smells good enough to eat out of the tin. When smoked, the "caramel" flavor translates into a slight, sweet taste of vanilla that stays throughout the bowl. The underlying tobaccos are nice and smooth virginias and burley.

It's a nice enjoyable smoke but I generally prefer more strenght and flavor. I didn't have any problems with tongue bite.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I bought a tin of this because of the name Peterson. And, I've been looking for that illusive tobacco that is both aromatic and full of taste. I assumed that Peterson could put together a good aromatic. They didn't on this brand. The tobacco packed well and the moisture level was a little high. Even with the high moisture, the stuff lighted up reasonably well. There was never a need for a re-light. The tin aroma matched the smoke aroma. There was the smell of caramel and honey. There was also a fruity essence to the taste. These are the positives. The first thing one notices is that the caramel taste does not transfer to the smoke. The second thing you find is that the taste flattens out when the sugars burn off and there is nothing left but the tobacco. By this time, you note the lack of nicotine. Some may consider this a positive, but I do not. Finally, there is serious tongue-bite. The stuff just gets hotter and hotter! I have mentioned that the taste disappears, but that may be due to the incredible amout of heat. There are some aromatics I enjoy and you do have to know how to enjoy them, but wow! For the price, with a prestigious name, and from a smoker who enjoys aromatics, you should look elsewhere. I have had some Smoker's Pride that behaved better!

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

its a mild blend with no intresting features other than te slight touch of maryland which i oftenly miss,,V/B are traditional,,not too sweet and gies a clear ash burns good,,i would try other blends bcz this one is less intresting

I am reviewing this blend based on my memory of 1 tin I v smoked 3 years ago.

The ?Sweet Killarney? doesn?t really mean that this is a sweetened tobacco, so please just make abstraction about the name, On clean palate (specially in the first morning pipe) you will notice clearly the cream caramel on the first half bowl, then it will disappear giving place to the tobacco taste, and its good tobacco, not very topped and not very sweet, just well balanced.

I will buy another tin to keep it around for now and then.

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)

This is a reasonably complex aromatic blend. If you dry it out, there is little to no bite and it actually tastes like tobacco. If it was not for the price, I would keep more around, but for an imported tin this is a fine aromatic smoke.

Accompaniment: Corelli's Concerti Grossi.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

Every now and then I like to add an aromatic to my line-up as a change of pace from my usual rotation of Balkans/English and matured Virginias. And while most aromatics don't appeal to me, this one works, delivering real tobacco flavor without being overly sweet (despite the name) and with an aroma (at least for the smoker) that is rich with vanilla and caramel overtones.

Nothing objectionable here -- it's dry and flavorful -- but also nothing that will likely knock the socks off die-hard aromatic fans. Although the flavor does vary down the bowl, there's no great complexity to explore. Just an enjoyable smoke.

I'd especially recommend this one to smokers who enjoy MacBaren's Vanilla Creme or Dunhill's A21000, vanilla blends that share similarities with Sweet Killarney but which burn hotter and with a tendency to bite, at least for me.

UPDATE: For whatever reason -- maybe I'm just not an aromatic fan at all -- I ended up tosssing much of this tin after it sat around for months without being smoked. While initially pleasant, there just wasn't enough on offer here to keep me interested.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

This is one aromatic that I actually enjoy from Peterson. I still have not found a Peterson blend that knocks my socks off. Being Irish, that is depressing.

However, I really like the flavoring in this one and have purchased more.

Harvey54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harvey54 (4)

Well, to start our I have been back to smoking a pipe for about a year now. I have come to enjoy Virginia's, VaPer's and some Dunhill and GL Pease, English blends. So this is a new avenue for a change of pace. So far I find it to be a bit moist out of the tin a few moments of drying seem to work better. The aroma has a very carmel like scent to it, and to date it has not bit, although I can see how it can get away from you and deliver a big hurt to your tongue. It is a pleasant smoke for a change up might try mixing it with something but not sure what yet. Looking forward to finishing the tin and possibly giving an update later on. As they say, "Smoke in Peace!"

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma is wonderful, no doubt. I got awfully excited when I smelled it; I'm not all that much of an aromatic smoker, but it smelled almost edible.

Smoking was another story. I really had to fight to keep this stuff from getting too hot, and my tongue is still sore from the bite. I never could get it cool enough to actually get the complex flavors out of it; it generally either was harsh, or out. Different packing methods didn't seem to change it much; it just was a harsher smoke than I cared for.

The room note wasn't at all what I expected. I at least hoped for some of the casing to come out in the room, but no dice. It ended up having a strong, complex odor that actually became kind of cigar-like after a little while.

I was able to finish off the tin without tossing it, but I doubt I'll be buying it again. Others might have better luck; my tongue wasn't impressed.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This is not a bad smoke, but it lacks the room note as well as the taste to become a more then occasional smoke. It may be better as a mixer then straight out the tin. MZMN

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I liked this tobacco. It has a sweet taste, but not so much as to make you think you have food in your mouth. Light enough not to get on your nerves. The smell is VERY nice! Very good room note. I received a few compliments from non-smokers and smokers alike. I was surprised to find that this one didn't bite like others I have tried. This is one I imagine I will rotate for a long time. I do imagine that if you smoked it everyday, it would get a little boring. Nice after a meal in the evening.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I typically only smoke this around the general public due to the pleasant room aroma. It is definitely caramel, caramel, caramel!!! It, however has quality leaf underneath the casing that can satify on occassion. I have never found it to be consistent regardless of the pipe used or tin vintage. Sometimes the casing is overwhelming and at othertimes the leaf sings through. One warning though, you have to smoke it slowly or otherwise you will get tongue-bite. This one I only recommend for something different or a St. Patrick's Day celebration

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is indeed and unusal one. A fan of aromatics, this one left me confused. I am quite fond of Old Dublin as well as most of the Mac Baren line. Knowing what to expect from Peterson, I did not expect a candied taste like I get from some of the really cheap dime-store brands that taste like burning tires off a cherry truck.

That being said, the tin aroma of this blend almost knocked me over and I was close to tossing the the lot untried. Being Peterson however, I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did! After the first bowl I wasn't about to review it until I had finished the entire tin.

This one is an aquired taste, I believe. Enjoyable and considering the tin aroma, not overly sweet, this one surprises with its lovely taste and aroma. This is recommended as a good after-dinner smoke. Although for me it takes a backseat to some other more subtly topped blends.