Tribute is a special blend of red, lemon and stoved red Virginias, Perique and toasted Cavendish tobaccos. The tribute was written by Ernest A. Carabillo III.

Notes: All profits from the sale of this tobacco were donated to the "Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund". Produced in September, 2001.

BrandG. L. Pease
Taste
Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Having given this blend almost eight years to mellow, I felt it was time to pop the tin open and see what was in store. The tin note was very pleasant, a very nice Virginia smell, that wasnt too sweet, or too earth. There was a decidedly pungent Perique smell as well. The Cavendish was not too evident in the tin. The moisture was slightly wet, but after leaving the tin open for a few days it was just right. The tobacco is cut perfectly and packed extremely well. I packed it into both large and small pipes, and it seemed to do the best in larger bowled pipes. The tobacco burned perfectly, and never required a relight. There was absolutely no tongue bite as well. The taste was out of this world. The Virginias were mellow and flavorful. Everything was just spot on. The Perique was mild, but noticeable and played well with the others. I really liked the unsweetened black Cavendish, it added a nice fullness to the blend. Overall I think this was one of the best VAPer blends I have ever tried!

dtcb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtcb (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first batch of tobacco ever purchased came with 3 8oz cans of Nassau (Tribute).

The first one I smoked right away. The second I gave to a friend and the 3rd I opened a year and a half later.

The fresh tin had almost no dust (tobacco dust) in it. Just lots and lots of ribbon (brown, dark and yellow). It smoked well and was easy to thumb pack and light (very forgiving for the absent minded pipe smoker). I made it my regular all day smoke because honestly, I get something different from it depending on other influences (after-meal, with drink, morning, outdoors) and how it packed. It is solid Virginia, but the cavendish would hint here and there(and Perique was assertive and strong throughout). I would get a bit of a bite down towards the end of my bowl (and at initial lighting do not run this through the nose as the smoke was heavy and would zing). This may also be attributed to my initial 'aggresive' puffing when I first started. Moisture level is low (and I have some pipes with systems and filters so I see it) compared to the aromatics I had (like "Very Berry").

Tribute ages well. I found the difference between the fresh opened tin and the tin I let sit to be significant. The aged tin lets more of the mellowed raisin/fig scents come through while smoking and the bite from the fresh tin is gone. It has a well rounded flavour that's good from start to finish. I didn't get the slightly strong Perique that is present in the fresh tin. Instead it complements the Virginias. Also, I've heard the term 'grassy' mentioned about Tribute when it's fresh. I kind of understand that now as the second tin is a more 'mellowed' smoke and less green than a fresh tin. I've recently bought a 1lb tin of Tribute and will give it a few months before opening (and enjoying).

------------------------------

April 04, 2007

Almost a year later....and I have to say Tribute is consistant. I've finally opened the 1 lb tin and boy, did I miss Tribute. I've been trying other tobacco lately to see what I enjoy; and I saved the tin of Tribute until last to open. It was packed really well and smokes like a dream. I have to say I really recommend Tribute as a tobacco to get and shelve for a few months before opening. It seems to be one that ages really well. I'm going to be ordering another tin for myself soon.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

I was lucky enough to get a tin of Tribute, the second edition in a Pease tin. I had just about given up hope, when Eric at Cup O Joe?s was able to set me up with the last tin he could find in captivity. Thank You Eric!

I opened the tin on September 11, 2004. It had aged two years. (The tin is marked SECOND EDITION 09/11/02) The aroma in the tin is slightly sweet like Virginia, and has a musty/spicy undertone to it as well.

I have smoked Tribute in a variety of pipes over the past week or so. I have smoked about half of the tin as I write this. I find the balance to be very nice, with none of the grassy/tangy overtones as reported when the blend was young. It seems to have mellowed with age from what I have read of it before. The Virginia flavor is the predominant force in the overall flavor, with the Perique playing around in the background for the most part. The toasted Cavendish lends an interesting overall sweetness that comes and goes. The end is usually a nice Perique flourish, but not harsh.

Overall, this is a nice, well-balanced Va-Perique with a twist. (The Toasted Cavendish.) I don?t know if NASSAU from C&D matches this completely or not, as I have never tried it. Besides, it would be pretty impossible to make an accurate comparison because the two wouldn?t be of the same age.

Considering what this tobacco stands for, it almost seems ?wrong? somehow to enjoy it ? but when viewed in the spirit in which it was intended, I think Mr. Pease did an exemplary job with this one. Very smooth, and just enough complexity and kick from the Perique to keep interest high. I like it, but I don?t know if I will get Nassau or not. I may just share a few bowls of this with special friends and when it?s gone, it?s gone. I think making this a ?once in a lifetime? thing might keep it more ?special? to me.

That said, I am giving it 4 stars ? based on quality, not that I will get it and smoke it all the time.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

It was 9-11-02, the one year anniversary of the terrorist attack on our country. I watched the one-eyed monster as the news agencies re-played again and again the horrors that befell us a year ago. As I sat somberly watching the reports I cracked open a year-old tin of Tribute (figuring that there could be no better time than now to do so.

I loaded up my Boswell freehand and upon lighting was greeted by that familiar Cornell & Diehl grassy virginia flavor that I like so much. The aroma at first light spoke gently of perique and its cooking mushroom like aroma. The viriginias were not caustic and smoked with amazing cool-ness (no mean feat for some virginias).

The flavors melded and became richer as the tobacco was consumed, almost like it was simmering and caramelizing. Toward the end of the bowl, the perique really began to announce its presence as the spiciness came through clearly but not at all obtrusively.

All that was left at the end of the bowl was a fluffy white/grey ash. The walls of the bowl were completely clear of any residue. I can only call this a once-in-awhile smoke because I only have 1 tin. If I had more I'd smoke this regularly. It touched my heart and my palate. Gretchen gives this a 5 out of 5 barks.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)

Well, now that I've run a few bowls of this through a few different pipes, I feel like I can give it a fair reviewing.

This will definitely be another Greg Pease winner, but to reach that stage, it definitely needs some age. Right now, though good, (and I'm testing it only days after its release) it needs some time to meld and marry, let alone age. This has all the makings of a fastastic aged tobacco once it does indeed have a few months on it.

However, I must review it as it stands and update later once I have a better idea of how it ages. Currently, I find the lighter Virginias to impart a bit of a grassy overtone that is not entirely to my liking. However, outside of this slight imbalance (which I think will cease to exist given only a few weeks) it is fantastic. The rest of the blend would balance perfectly if not for the grassy overtones (which, honestly, I've had trouble not noticing). The Perique gives it that great spiciness and the darker virginias and cavendish give it a very slight sweetness.

On the whole, though it is good now, it will be fantastic in a few weeks. And of this I'm quite sure, Tribute will be truly breathtaking in a couple of years. This alone is reason enough to buy it, but that the proceeds are going to aid the victims of the September 11th massacre renders the reason imperative.

Based on 2 tins of the original version. Wide, choppy ribbon cut of mottled leaf, mostly of the darker varieties. Tin nose is of unsweetened dark chocolate and mustiness. Smells like orientals in this one and even though I didn't notice any in the taste (and their aren't any!), I would probably half-believe it if someone said they existed here.

For a blend with cavendish and all those virginias in it, I'm surprised at the lack of sweetness in this one. There is a very, very little bit, but it's more of a light nut or corn sweetness rather than natural virginia sugar. The overall flavor is dark and toasty, and very deep. The perique is noticeable but more of a bit player. Some spice is apparent but none of the "perique tickle" nor any "stewed fruit" flavor - just that light spice. The dominant flavor is that dark and earthy virginia flavor of deep and stoved reds. I get a very slight tart sensation, presumedly from the lemon VA, but it doesn't assert itself much.

Overall this is a worthy blend that I never smoked fresh so I can only make assumptions as to how it aged based on a fresh tin of the C&D First Responders, which I'm about to share my thoughts on. If you can find a tin of this, it's a worthwhile investment, although I wouldn't call this one of Pease's top blends. Then again, someone else certainly could.

* This just seemed to be an appropriate blend to light up to start this day (9/11/06) to honor all of our brave men and women standing watch and risking their lives in the military to keep us safe and free.

The following is taken directly from the marscigars website:

"The NASSAU displaces 40,000 tons and has a crew of 1,000, carries 2,000 US Marines, a helicopter squadron and a Harrier squadron. It's captain, Capt. Russell P. Tjepkema, it's Executive Officer, ship's doctor and Navigator are all pipe smokers and lead a coterie of a dozen others. We are proud to honor these people who give up so much for us by contributing $3 from every tin of NASSAU to the ship's Morale, Welfare & Recreational Fund as a 'Thank You' from pipe smokers everywhere. The NASSAU is part of the amphibious forces of the U.S. Navy and as such is part of the "Gator Navy". The label is their deployment patch. The tobacco was originally G.L. Pease Tribute , a special blend of red, lemon and stoved red Virginias, Perique, and toasted Cavendish tobaccos....."

Nassau now comes in a fancy C&D tin with the ship's sharp looking logo on the label as indicated in the above description. I do not know whether the ingredients have changed. I had a bowl of the original production Tribute (in a Pease tin) and felt like it could use more aging. The currently produced C&D Nassau Tribute seems smoother somehow. It is a nice "occassional" tobacco that I reserve for late afternoon or evenings.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The smell upon opening the tin is enough to stop right there; but I won't. Putting a good cause aside, this is a damn good American style tobacco! There is plenty of natural flavor with a subtle complexity of walnut, fig, and straw tasting base. The perique provides spicy earthiness with a medium bite. In late '04, I bought a tin of second edition (09/2002) that I was able to fond at a local Central Ohio tobacconist - (they still have more, so I don't wish to divulge, as I don't want to see the supply run out). The tin had plenty of time to age, which is key for VA/Perique blends. This has the array of taste just like flake & roll cakes offer, without having to rub out.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I would like to introduce this review by expressing my deepest sympathy for the victims, families and the American people. I and the rest of the Danish people mourn for your loss. It is an honour for me to smoke this tobacco, and I too had second thoughts of reviewing this blend.

This is my first GLPease offering and by God it is wonderful. This tin is 4 years old and the quality of the leaf is outstanding. The Périque is well balanced and gives a complexity to the smoke, which I have seldomly experienced with these types of blends. The nicotine level is high, burn qualities are very good, and it will not burn your palate. I like to smoke this after lunch with a nice cup of strong coffee.

A stout blend that I will cellar if I can get hold of some more.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

09-22-04 My last tin is finally finished

Appearance and Tin Aroma: The first tin of this I smoked was opened just about as soon as it came out, my last tin was just finished yesterday. Either way, it had the typcal medium ribbon and fig/raisin aroma of VA/Perique blends.

Packing and Lighting: Excellent like all Pease blends.

Initial Flavor: Strong VA/Perique! No holding back in this blend!

Mid-Bowl: Settles down, cavendish can be tasted at this point.

Bottom of Bowl: Perique asserts itself, this was a chore to finish, many times I dumped the last third. Just too spicy for this piper.

Overall: this is a high quality VA/Perique Blend, but just too spicy for me. The Cavendish was a nice counterpoint though. I think I prefer Haddo's over this blend, although Haddo's triggers my allergies with a vengeance! This one did too, but not until the last third of the bowl.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 points.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)

I was afraid that this would be a very difficult review to do. I purchased this tobacco mainly as a show of support for those effected by the awful events on September 11th, as I?m sure many pipe smokes did. I was not, however, overly enthusiastic about the types of tobaccos included in this blend. I suppose that I should know by now to never bet against anything developed by Greg. While I usually don?t enjoy blends of this type, I was pleasantly surprised to find I liked it very much - I finished my first 2oz tin in record time. The aroma in the freshly opened can is tangy and slightly sharp; not dark at all but slightly musty, with a hint of Virginia-like sweet/sour overtones. The leaf itself is multicolored and highly varied, medium and darker browns mixed with yellows and nearly black pieces, the later making up roughly 25% of the overall blend. The cut is normal to slightly wide, with a variety of longer and shorter strips included. There is also large amount of dust in the can, which should be sifted out before smoking, unless you like to smoke VERY quickly. The moisture level is low, similar to most Pease blends I have tried, and packing is easy with the dust removed. The tobacco lights easily and burns very well, with a below average number of relights required throughout a bowl. In the first 1/3, the flavor is light, bright, and not overly smooth on my palate. It is clearly a Virginia-based blend, but there is much more here as well. There are spicy tones, and a very mild hint of sweetness. I can notice some bite, and the smoke tingles when I exhale through my nose. The overall effect is almost Burley in nature, though I do not believe that there is any of that tobacco in this. I would certainly describe this as a complex tobacco. There is continued bite in the second third of the bowl, though it isn?t too severe. The flavors are significantly better blended at this point, but I would still hardly call the smoke smooth. The overall taste is ?bright?, if a bit darker than in the first third, and the spicy note seems to have faded. I also needed to use a pipe cleaner on a small amount of moisture, towards the middle of this third. The final portion is much smoother, while maintaining a similar overall brightness. There is less bite and no spice that I notice, though the smoke still tickles in my nose. At the very bottom of the bowl, I notice a toasted flavor, and some darker elements. I would term it a rather good finish, complex and satisfying in a ?lighter? kind of way. Overall, this is an unusual blend, in my personal experience. I enjoyed it, though I would not say it is one of my favorite tobacco types. This would, I believe, be good as an early or mid-day smoke, and could likely be smoked repeatedly throughout the day with no problem. The room aroma is average, neither overly offensive to the non-smoker nor overly pleasant to the pipe smoker. Aside from a bit of aging, I can?t really see any way to improve this blend. I would recommend everyone try this at least once; I myself plan to keep a tin or two in the cellar for future use.

I greatly enjoyed this when it was originally issued and have found it ages well. A perfectly balanced blend with a multiplicity of Virginias that dominate the cavendish, which adds a slight complimentary sweetness the red Virginias. The perique is light, and adds a slight spice. The lemon taste adds a light tartness. It can be smoked all day if you choose. I haven't tried the First Responders blend which is supposed to be a reissue of this, so I can't compare as yet. Hopefully, it's just as good.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

I just wanted to let everyone know that they have re-released this blend under the title of Cornell & Diehl: First Responders.

Not sure if this will be a limited edition or not but I am definitely stocking up.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a half dozen tins of Tribute over the past two years comprised of first and second editions. I prefer the first edition only slightly more than the second and both are a very good mix of sweet and peppery. The addition of cavendish adds some extra sweetness and richness to the blend. It packs well and burns cleanly. If you haven't had the chance to try this blend, its worth the ebay price as they will soon be gone forever. Recommended.

RebelPipesterII Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RebelPipesterII (11)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

My tin from the original batch way back in October, 2001 has mellowed to the point that it could be an all day smoke, pleasant flowery smell with the slight Perique tickle; this truly is a tribute to 9-11. Everyone, this is great news to find out Nassau is a re-issue of ths blend so that makes two more fresh tins in my cellar! Let's keep supporting our boys and wish them home and safe once the task of keeping the world safe for you and I are though for another tour, god bless. More impressions to come.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

So I choose tonight to try a 5 year tin a Tribute. With all the movies on 9/11- It somehow seems a good thing to try out. Glad that I did. At the char- the first thing to jump up was Perique...A nice spicy "How do you do?".... Once that recesses to the rear...The virgina and Perique come hand in hand in a nice duet....The Black Cav singing a nice backup.....This continues to mid bowl. Its at this point I get the oddest sensation- Is there burley in this? I swear I tasted it. A nice surprise....Like having a quick guest star... Then the Perique and Virgina dance a dual....Each taking a more dominant role, then giving the stage until..... My fire went out....30 mins had gone by and fluffy ash was the curtain call...... All in all a wonderful blend. I truely appreciated the offering, and even more in reading the back of the tin again- Reminding me of patriotisim, Unity of the spirit of man- and smoking in peace....Even when the peace is 30mins.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)

As was said below, this is definitely an American style tobacco. There is a focus on the Virginias and a good helping of Perique. The Cavendish is really only there to mellow and unify the blend. This is a great smoke and another great offering from Pease.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a review of the second edition which was tinned 6/28/02. Upon first opening the tin, I got a dry unsweetened chocolate smell which was very nice. The first few bowls were subtle with the perique poking it's head in now and then. Very nice. Towards the middle and end of the tin, oxygen has sharpened the flavor considerably; one is well aware of the perique during the entire smoke. Excellent! It has now become similar to Haddos except the cavendish has been used more sparingly.

Interesting family of three tobaccos that are full of perique....Tribute, Haddo's, and C&D Bayou Morning. There is a definite "progression". Haddos is the sweetest due to the cavendish, then comes Tribute without so much cavendish, followed by Bayou Morning with no cavendish. All three are relatives but with their own personalities.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The reason this tobacco was made should be enough to make it a worthwhile recommendation, but it is also great stuff.

It's a complex mixture, enormously rich: at the same time sweet, sour, nutty, toasted, slightly earthy. There's quite a strong percentage of perique, making it a blend to enjoy slowly and savour. It can be quite heavy (both as taste and as nicotine content), so approach cautiously.

The quality of the product is of course evident, being a GLPease product, and it shows in the level of moisture and in the burning qualities.

I am not usually a fan of this kind of tobaccos, but Tribute is really delicious and I have 12 tins of it stored in my cellar!

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I was quite happy to support Greg Pease and the Tarlers in their attempt to provide help to the victims of the Sept. 11 bombings, but even happier to receive such an _interesting_ tobacco. Although the tobacco I received is certainly immature, and even a bit raw, I found that I liked it very much and smoked it almost daily. In some pipes, this tobacco was simply blah, but in many pipes it was a most interesting will-of-the wisp, alternating between a fine Virgina richness, the Cavendish sweetness, and a deep background taste that I have never been able to describe well. This is without a doubt a tobacco that will improve with time, so I am happy to have some sitting in my cellar, getting better and better. I suspect this will be a gorgeous tobacco when it hits its sweet spot.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)

I've only smoked a tin of this , and it smokes well , though it is a bit immature at this time (01-02) . I can definately tell that it will age nicely . I look forward to dipping into the cellar for this one annually .