Bright & Red Virginia, Burley and Sweet Cavendish, with a touch of Scotch Whisky

BrandSolani
Strength
Taste

2.9
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The Virginias are rather subdued by the very pleasing topping, though part way through the smoke, the red Va. taste pops up here and there. The same can be said for the burley. Overall, the sweet cavendish is the most prominent tobacco taste I got. The scotch whiskey is choice and the main reason to buy this. Sweet, malty, and intoxicating, if you'll pardon the pun, it needs to be sipped and not puffed fast. The room note is exceptionally pleasant. It requires some drying time, but it's worth it for what you'll get when you smoke it.

NJA62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NJA62 (3)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I lean towards light aromatics and selected this blend as a freebie with the purchase of a new pipe. They had an open tin as a sample, and the aroma was very strong, a combination of sweet and whiskey. Not a fan of the way whiskey smells or tastes as a liquor, and was dissapointed it was in my tobacco. I would not have purchased this because of the strong whiskey aroma. I thought it would sit, unopened, and use it to trade, but curiosity got the better of me, and glad it did because i found an excellent product. Although i can taste the whiskey, it is subtle and just flat out works in this blend. I dont smoke it every day, but i make sure i always have some on hand. I was pleasantly surprised all around ay how well it smokes, biurns, tastes and smells to others.

stoked Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stoked (6)

131 tin description reads very promisingly. When I opened the tin I Thought oh no not another sweet cased tobacco. Upon lighting I was immediately impressed with the tobacco but still dismayed at the casing. However 5 min into the bowl I got the taste and mouth feel of a fine Singke malt. The casing lingered until half wssy through the bowl. But it lessens and makes way for fine tobacco taste. This blend is nice and wont burn hot, but clean and cool.

Recommend

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Really liked the tobaccos, milder Virginias and lighter burley. The single malt flavoring is noticeable; but it's there almost as a afterthought. Don't get me wrong, this is a aromatic type tobacco, but for me, the taste is an accompaniment. Not a major player. Although one would swear it is the point of the tobacco. I liked the way the tobaccos presented themselves while smoking. Each inhale/exhale produced flavors of hay, grass, and there it is, the tooty fruity flavor I so enjoy in Vas. So, excellent flavors, will reorder.

BigChairPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigChairPuffer (11)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I expected to find candy in the tin the smell was so sweet. Smoked very well but the flavour is far from subtle.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)

I found this blend to be almost identical to Dan Tobacco Blue Note in tin aroma & similar in taste, strength, etc. Also nuances of Peterson's Sweet Killarney come to mind. This one is a true crowd pleaser for sure. Fairly comfortable on the palate for an aromatic & very little of the enticing, sweet flavoring comes through while smoking.

The tin aroma is such that one might be enticed to find a spoon & dig right in. It leaves no goopy dottle in the bowl but it will leave a ghost in there for the next couple of rounds. I don't smoke many aromatics these days & this review is based only on the merits of an aromatic blend. Therefore, IMHO, Solani's 131 blend earns three stars.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Way too sweet for me, as well the tinnote as the taste while smoking.

Luckily one of my pipesmoking friends loves this tobacoo, so he may finish the tin for me. I'll stick to Peterson's IW in this bracket...

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Red Label is a lot better than Green. As Green, the tin aroma is fantastic but the casing in Red is not overwhelming.

A bit too mild for me, it is still very enjoyable.

Worth a try for the fans of cased tobaccos.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A mild, yet nice smoke. Not too sweet. The tin states Virgina, Burley and single malt scotch whiskey. I can sort of detect the whiskey. To me, it levels the sweetness and adds to the room note which is somewhat peppery. I really like this one. Tongue bite is not an issue here.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I had never really given this blend a second look, but when the reviewers below said this was a whisky topped blend that got it right, I had an urge to give it a try when I saw this at my B&M tobacconist recently.

This is my first whisky aro. I've been afraid to try any others because the reviews for them are generally not so favorable, seeming to range from abysmal to mediocre at best. But I like whisky, and if a blender got it right, then I think it's worth a try.

Unlike the other reviewers here, I don't really taste the whisky as such. Or, to put it more precisely, I suppose I can convince myself that what I'm tasting is somewhat whisky-ish, but it could be a case of perception following suggestion instead of what's really there. Maybe the casing is more like a whisky liqueur, since the vaguely whisky-ish flavor I'm getting is delicately sweet with hints of honey.

Whatever it is, it's pleasant. This is a quality leaf with a slightly sweet, smooth, vaguely whisky-liqueur casing that's applied with a firm but sure hand. So many of the virginia based aros I've tried are way too high key for me, and burn hot. Not this one -- 131 burns cool, has a nice balance, good range, and accessible complexity. This is a quality aro that can be appreciated by non-aro smokers willing to venture into new waters. Plus it has received more comments from total strangers about its delicious room note than any other blend I've tried, so it's definitely a hit in public, which is good PR for our defamed hobby and so nothing to sneer at.

This is my second Solani blend, and they've both been successful, quality blends. They're doing something right, so I will be trying more of their blends in the future.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

Tin aroma...sweet smelling with a strong casing that will make you salivate. Absolutely one of the sweetest and most tasteful blends, ever. I feel it should rank high among other top quality, flavored aromatics icluding Blue Note! I love this stuff! Marvelous taste & aroma...leaves the room smelling like an oven baking delicious desserts. Lovers of flavored aromatics who enjoy a mild, sweet taste should try this blend. Burns OK with hardly any tongue/palate discomfort & nicotine content is satisfactory. Being a lover of quality aromatic blends, I will definately be keeping some on hand for regular rotation. Sample some for yourself. I strongly feel you won't be dissapointed. Therefore, IMHO, Solani's 131 Red Label merits four **s!

Sonaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sonaris (10)

Another successful blend from Solani boasting the usual high quality tobacco in the tin (in this instance) rounded off by Single Malt Whiskey. After trying out Solani's X-Sweet Mystery and the Green Label 127 which are excellent aromatics, I wondered if they could get it right a third time. They certainly did! A lovely whiff wafts out of the tin and immediately brings a smile to ones face. Slightly moist out of the tin, one is well advised to (like with most aromatics) to pace this one. Lights and smokes easily and adequately substantiates a change of pace. The essence seems to be be on burleys rather than virginas augmented with cavendish. Personally, I would have liked the virginas to come through - but thats a personal preference. Well deserved three stars from my side.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very nice aromatic from Solani. Top quality leaf, a combination of broad cut loose bright VA with red partially rubbed VA, black Cavendish and some burley that remains overall discreet.

The tin aroma is splendid and appealing. It looks like a topping rather than a casing, which is good, as where the green label is a casing more than a topping. Moisture content is excellent and the pipe is easy to fill and light. The scotch whiskey is detectable in the taste as well as pure tobacco. This mixture smokes very well and never bites.

For those new among us and requesting a top quality aromatic that will spare their pipes or tongues, or for the established aromatic lovers, Solani red label is the way to go.

Recommended.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is definitely my favorite among all the aromatic blends that I've tried over the last years, and my favorite among Solani's aromatic blends.

Primarily, I enjoy VA/PER, Oriental/English blends for the most part, with a high preference for the Flake/broken flake types. I also try an aromatic every once in a while, but only keep one in my regular rotation: Erinmore Flake. But I am seriously considering adding Solani Red Label... which is a high quality aromatic, and I suspect because of the outstanding work of Mr Will.

What really convinced me to try it was the tin aroma: a sweet, enjoyable, highly intoxicating incredible smell. After I opened it and got the first hint of aroma, I just sat down, smelled it over a long period and totally freaked out on that robust sweet aroma. Then, I looked at the leaf content: not as much Bright VA as in Green Label and X Sweet Mystery - which is good-, brown, red and black leaves for the rest, in equal proportion.

This tobacco is medium /long cut and packs very well. lighting is fairly easy, it smokes well and dry for an aromatic, and becomes a little stronger as I work my way down. The thing is, the taste of the casing never leaves, it remains constant all along and never turns sour or hot or goopy like most fairly cased aromatics. It smoked dry until the end.

The other beauty is that, if smoked properly, it will not bite at all. But if overpuffed, it might bite. I smoked it outside in a Meerschaum when it was rather windy and my tongue reminded me for a couple hours that it was a bad idea.

This is a good Bakkie, very high quality. I will most certainly consider adding it in my regular rotation.

Highly recommended!

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)

Solani 131 is a superlative blend that actually pulls off the scotch whiskey casing successfully, complementing and harmonizing with the leaf instead of burying it in syrupy sweetness.

I rarely smoke aromatics of this type, but when I do, this is the one I reach for consistently. The quality leaf and careful preparation of the product is evident in each tin and each bowl I've smoked.

The leaf can be a little wet out of the tin, so drying helps considerably. She still doesn't jump in my lap and call me "Hef" when I smoke it, but Solani 131 is one of the few blends that my wife actually likes me to smoke inside.

Also, this blend seems to be hard to locate at times, so grab a tin if you see one. Well worth a try.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Very akin to Peterson's Irish Whiskey, the tobacco flavor comes through, the casing is not overbearing and this burns cool enough to satisfy a sweet tooth. Overall good flavor and aroma. If whiskey aromatics appeal to you this maybe your smoke.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The only tobacco blend flavored with scotch whiskey that I've appreciated is Peterson's Irish Whiskey. It has been the only one where the casing did not overpower the "natural" flavor of the tobaccos.

Solani has made a terrific effort here - and while it will not become a regular smoke in my rotation, it will receive attention from time to time.The leaf is supple and reeks of quality, but the flavoring does make its presence known the moment the lid is popped. You will smell a wonderful bouquet when you open the tin, and you might even be tempted to pour this blend into a shot glass rather than your pipe!

The good news for me (and great news for you aromatic fans) is that this blend is quite cool while burning, and very flavorsome too. It's just a bit over the top for my everyday consumption. Don't get me wrong, the blend does have some nice qualities. For instance, I found it makes a nice after dinner smoke. It satisfies my sweet tooth without adding any calories. Hey, I'm liking this stuff more and more already!